Kenosha Co. WI Placenames

Kenosha County WI Placenames

Please help others with their research by contributing placename information to this page. Do you have any memories or historical documents related to these places? We would like to create separate linking pages to list additional information about these places. You may E-mail information to us.  Thanks.
Last Update - 9/8/2003

Origin of the word "Kenosha"

The name Kenosha or "Kenozia" translated to English means "the place of the Pike" (Pike meaning the fish) In the poem "The Song of Hiawatha" by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow the author uses the the Ojibway word "Kenozha" when referring to a Pike fish. Throughout the years there have been several spellings: Kenosia, Kenozia, Kenozha. In 1850 it was agreed to use the spelling "Kenosha" to represent as closely as possible the sound of the word as it was pronounced by the Native Americans.

Town of Brighton

Klondike Corner Located at Highways 75 and NN - name origin unknown

Town of Bristol

Town History
Town is named after an early settler the Rev. Ira Bristol. Town was established April 1, 1842.
Benet Lake The south half of Lake Shangri-la - also in Salem
Benson's Corner Formerly Nixon Corner and Bristol Corner - named after Bryant and William Benson, who began operation of a gas station and grocery there in the middle 1930s - now Highways 50 and U.S. Highway 45
Bristol (Village of) Also known as West Bristol on old maps. The land where the village is located was owned by Alfred Giddings and was sold off and subdivided. The Kenosha and Beloit Railroad came through the village in the late 1850s.
Bristol Corner Formerly Nixon Corner - it is just up the road from the community named in 1837 for a pioneer resident, the Rev. Ira Bristol.
Cypress When the U.S. government installed a post office at Pikeville, the government changed the name to Cypress, after a nearby community that's disappeared altogether - see also Hoadley
Four Corners 75th Street, 39th Avenue, and, later, Roosevelt Road - Pleasant Prairie - Referred to as "Four Corners" because the Four Corners resort was located here. It was built about 1900 and burned to the ground in 1908. Owner of the property was James Rategan.
Hazel Dell Hazel Dell School was on Highway MB - residents called the area Hazel Dell
Hillcrest Subdivision Located on the west side of Lake George
Hoadley When Kenosha was in Racine County, this was the name used for Cypress
Jackson Corners Highway 50 and County Highway D - In the 1840s, the three Jackson brothers, Andrew, Northrop and Frisbie, settled here - also known as Jacksonville
Kimball's Corners County Highways C and MB - name origin unknown
Lake Shangri-la This lake was formerly farm and woodland - Mr. Chris Paschon built a home and his own lake in 1936 - land surrounding lake was later subdivided
Minerva Subdivision Located on the north side of Lake George
Mangos Lake George Gardens Located on the east side of Lake George
Nixon Corner Named after George Nixon, an early owner of the property. Later it was locally called Bristol Corner
Pikeville Corners or just Pikeville - U.S. Highway 45 and County Highway WG - named for three brothers named Pike who settled here
Walker's Prairie Original name of the area later referred to as Wesley
Wesley Area around Wesley Chapel (Methodist Episcopal Church) - located Section 24. - residents referred to the area as Wesley
West Bristol See Bristol (village)
Woodworth (Village of) or Woodworth Station
Woodworth Corner Located at Highways 50 and MB - in Section 10 - It got its name with the completion of a stretch of the Kenosha to Rockford railroad in 1862. The nearby depot was called Woodworth Depot, after Linus Woodworth, the owner of the land where the depot was located.

Town of Paris

Town History
Town is named after Paris, New York, where early settlers to this town were from.
Chapin Also Star Corners - Highway 142 and north County Highway MB
Heidersdorf's Corner Also Chapin/Star Corners - Highway 142 and north County Highway MB
Jugville Also Chapin/Star Corners - Highway 142 and north County Highway MB (site of the first tavern in the town)
Kellogg's Corners Highway KR and I-94 - dates to 1837, three brothers, Chauncey, Thaddeus and Seth Kellogg settled here - now part of Somers
Paris (Village of)
Paris Corners Also Tar Corners, Highway 142 and U.S. Highway 45. Named by Seth Butler Myrick in honor of his birthplace in Oneida Co., New York.
Parisville Also Chapin/Star Corners - Highway 142 and north County Highway MB
Salem Oaks
Star Corners also Chapin - Highway 142 and north County Highway MB
Sylvania At the Kenosha - Racine County Line now in Sturtevant, Racine Co. - Sylvania was the name given to a school district that was formed on May 18, 1844 at a meeting held at the home of Chauncey Kellogg. Sylvania School District included Pike, Mount Pleasant, Yorkville, and Paris Townships.
Tar Corners Also Paris Corners, Highway 142 and U.S. Highway 45 (Named after a settler who was "tarred and feathered" by his neighbors after a dispute)

Town of Pleasant Prairie

Town History

Barnes Creek Area that was once an indian workshop in the Middle and late Woodland periods of 200 to 1400 a. d. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places. This creek is located next to Kenosha Mobile Courts on Hy Q and empties into Lake Michigan.
Beverly Woods
Carol Beach Formerly Edithton Beach, named after World War 2 by developer Joseph Shaffron for his 8 year old daughter Carol.
Dexter's Corner Now at Highways 31 and 174 - got its name from John Dexter, a veteran of the War of 1812, and a prominent pioneer
Edithton Beach Named in 1924 by John D. Rockerfeller's recently divorced daughter Edith. She purchased the land with her divorce settlement and her father's money.
Erly Established in 1902 as a post office on the land formerly the farm of Samuel Houston on the St. Paul Road, near Ranney Junction, but in 1902, owned by a Mr. John Clausen. John Clausen was the first postmaster. The name was given to this location by the U. S. Postal Service and why they chose this name is unknown. When the post office was established, locals wanted the place named after Sam Houston, but the Postal Service declined the suggestion.
Harkins Grove
Hickory Grove Caleb Pierce, early settler settled here - name origin unknown
Oak Grove Station
Pleasant Prairie (Village of)
Sand Ridge See Selma
Selma South of the city, this village was laid out by Stephen Gault, immigrant of Aberdeenshire, Scotland in about 1853. The village was given its name on August 29, 1853 by Mr. Gault. It was previously known as "Sand Ridge" because it was just a small gathering of houses on a sand ridge. Supposedly, Mr. Gault was the first person to introduce the growing of strawberries in this part of the state and he chiefly engaged in the growing of fruits and vegetables. Mr. Gault was an advocate for temperance. In about 1890, Stephen Gault deserted his village here and returned to Scotland where he died there about 1900. The village was merged with Kenosha and no longer exists.
State Line Station
Tobin Named after an early settler family
Torrey's Corner Located somewhere near Truesdell. Named after an early settler Derastus Torrey.
Truesdell Named after early settler family Gideon and Julia Truesdell

Town of Randall

Bassett Henry Bassett came to Randall in 1842 and purchaed 120 acres of land. His son Reuben joined him. The village was named when Mr. Bassett gave the land for the railroad.
Bassett's Station Railroad/Mail station
Hunt's Station
Lake Knolls A subdivision on Powers Lake - plat filed with the register of deeds in 1938
Powers Lake Named after one of its early settlers, James B. Powers - originally farmland, developed later
Twin Lakes

Town of Salem

Benet Lake South half of Lake Shangri-la - also in Bristol
Benham's Corners Area settled by A.W. Benham in 1837. (See also Gilead) Located at Highway 83 and County Highway C
Brass Ball Corners Formerly Geneva Road and Liberty - now Highways 50 and 83 75 - For about 160 years, since Seth Huntoon built his inn at the junction of the surveyed Geneva Road and the route to Antioch, a brass-colored globe has hung over the corner
Brooklyn Original name for the village of Salem. The name was changed to Salem by act of Legislature.
Camp Lake Camp Lake was named supposedly after an old Indian camp site. There was a resort there called the Camp Lake Resort. At the resort there was a restaurant that offered buffet called the "Dew Drop Inn". The hotel catered to summer vacationers from Chicago. A radio station operated out of Camp Lake in the 1920s called WCLO-AM - call letters standing for "Camp Lake Oaks" Some ice companies operated on Camp Lake until the 1930s. A rail service was in place by 1886 - Wisconsin Central (Soo Line) Near the train tracks in the area was a hill called Sunset Hill.
Fox River
Gilead Name of the home/farm/land settled by A. W. Benham. It was named in honor of Benham's parents' Connecticut home town. Village development at this site was later renamed Wilmot.
Liberty Corners Now U.S. Highway 45 and County Highway C - name origin not known
Mound Center
Paddock Lake Named for the Paddock family, early settlers in the area.
Salem (Village of)
Silver Lake (Village of) Incorporated Aug. 5, 1926 The Native Americans in this area early on called this lake Silver Lake because of its bright reflections in the water. The place was settled by John Bullen Jr. in 1836. The "Ack-a-nuck-a-chu-wuc (Great Bend) Inn" was built by him near the bridge he built across the Fox River. He moved to Kenosha in 1843. Frederick Schenning Sr. arrived here in July 1866. The tract of land he purchased comprises the entire village area. Wisconsin Central Railroad laid track in 1879. Ice harvesting was done on the lake and Dixon's Store was located in the village along with other businesses.
Sunset Hill See Camp Lake
Wilmot Dam Built on the Fox River by A. W. Benham for use by farmers for grinding grain.
Wilmot (Village of) The village formerly known as Gilead or Benham's Corners. In 1848, a meeting was called to re name the village. Mr. Wilbur, a pioneer resident jokeingly submitted Wilmot, after the "Wilmot Proviso." The joke was ratified and the place name was nominated. A hotel was located here and the Kenosha-Beloit stage route came through Wilmot. Dr. Ford's drugstore was located here.

Town of Somers

Town History
Formerly the community of Pike. The name changed to Somers in 1851. One story states that settlers wanted to build a railroad line from Pike to Chicago. A wealthy Englishman named Somers came to Pike and the citizens tried to interest him into providing money for the railroad so they renamed their town in his honor.

Aurora Early name for Somers - a post office at Willis Tavern was established in Aurora.
Pike Name of the original settlement in what is now the Village of Somers. The area was named Pike on April 15, 1843 by act of Legislature. It was changed to Somers in 1851.
Berryville Area on which Berryville School was located. Land was referred to as Berryville by locals.
Kellogg's Corners Highway KR and I-94 - dates to 1837, three brothers, Chauncey, Thaddeus and Seth Kellogg settled here - land formerly part of Paris
Maxwell's Corners Intersection of Prairie Ave. and Green Bay Road. Later name for the area known as Aurora.
Somers (Village of)

Town of Wheatland

Supposedly named for the wheat, which was said to grow well there. Town was
formed on May 7, 1842.
Bohner's Lake Just north of Wheatland in southwest Racine County
Erickson Early name for the village of Fox River
Fox River (Village of) Formerly Erickson
Fox River Pines Subdivision Built on the sight of the William Luke homestead
Horseshoe Point Originally farmland owned by Joe Toelle - was later developed into a subdivision
Lilly Lake Subdivision Named after early settler John Lilly
New Munster Settled by Germans in the 1840s. They named it in honor of their native German town of Munster, Germany. Early stop on the Lake Geneva stage coach route. Also known to locals as "Whiskey Hill" because of many taverns located there. Site of Wheatland township's first town hall in 1891.
Oakwood Shores subdivision Originally farmland - later subdivision
Powers Lake Named after one of its early settlers, James B. Powers. Powers was Wheatland's first town Constable. Originally farmland, developed later. Ice harvesting was done on the lake starting in the 1870s. Hotels and resorts were established here beginning in the 1880s. Powers Lake gained its post office in 1905.
Slades Corners Now at Highway 50, east of today's County Highway P - named for pioneer settler Tom Slade, who settled on 640 acres in about 1840
Summerhaven Subdivision Alois Schwaller owned the property there. He received the land in trade for property he owned up north. Later Adolph Lofy (Alois Schwallers' son in law) built the homes that are in summerhaven on spec. Hoping to sell them off. (Info submitted to KenoshaGenWeb by un-named researcher.)
Wheatland (Village of)
Whiskey Hill See New Munster

City of Kenosha

Allendale Neighborhood Extends from the south side of 68th Street south to the north side of 75th Street, and from the east side of Seventh Avenue to the west side of Third Avenue - subdivided by Charles Chester Allen and Ellen Jebb Allen
Bain Park Neighborhood
Bain Station Neighborhood
Birchwood Neighborhood
Bullen Neighborhood
Calkin's Beach Early name for the beach at Eichelman Park
Carthage Neighborhood Carthage College is located along this lakeside area. The College is located on lakefront land that was given to the City of Kenosha and named Alford Park. Only a portion of the land was given to the college. Near Alford Park is St. George's Cemetery.
Columbus Park Neighborhood Generally bounded by 52nd Street, 25th Avenue, 63rd Street, and the C & NW Railroad
Country Home Neighborhood
Eichelman Park In the early days, known as Fiddler's Green. This land was given to the city by Mr. and Mrs. Bernard Eichelman in August 1887. Mr. Eichelman owned a clothing and men's furnishing store on what is now 6th Avenue.
Endee Neighborhood
Fiddler's Green Now known as Eichelman Park
Forest Park Neighborhood
Frank Neighborhood
Grewenow Neighborhood
Harborside Neighborhood
Harvey Neighborhood
Hillcrest Neighborhood
Holy Rosary Neighborhood
Isetts Neighborhood
Jamestown Neighborhood
Kenosha West Neighborhood
Lake Land Neighborhood
Lake Park Neighborhood
Lake Wood Neighborhood
Lance Neighborhood
Lincoln Boulevard Neighborhood
Lincoln Park Neighborhood
McKinley Neighborhood
Nash Neighborhood
Northgate Neighborhood
Petzke Neighborhood
Pike Creek Neighborhood
Poerio Neighborhood
Red Arrow Neighborhood
Roosevelt Neighborhood
Sand Ridge Neighborhood
Southport Former name for Kenosha city. Comprised of the land in range 23 according to the surveying rules set up in the Northwest Ordinance of 1787. Southport was absorbed by Somers and Pleasant Prairie townships after 1851.
St. Joe's Neighborhood
St. Peter's Neighborhood
Stocker Neighborhood
Strongs Subdivision
Sunnyside Park Neighborhood
Uptown Neighborhood
Washington Heights Subdivision Area of development located on 23rd and 24th Avenues between 41st and 43rd Streets. This subdivision was developed by I. J. Bear & Son in the 1950s.
Washington Park Neighborhood Generatlly bounded by 52nd Street, 28th Avenue, Washington Road, and the C & NW Railroad
Wilson Heights Subdivision Generally bounded by 52nd Street, 28th Avenue, Washington Road and 47th/45th Avenue

Other Nearby Places

Genoa City On the border between Kenosha and Walworth Counties
Mygatt's Corner Highway 31 and 20 in Racine County. Settled by Wallace Mygatt, who later moved back to Kenosha.
North Prairie Not to be confused with a North Prairie in Waukesha County, WI. North Prairie is just across the state line in the State of Illinois just south of Pleasant Prairie.

Can you identify these places?

Pleasant Grove, Bissell, Maple Ridge

You may E-mail us.  Thanks.

Click here to go to

Return to Kenosha Co. Page