Snohomish County Tribune

Marie Middlestadt, daughter of Julius Middlestadt, died at the family residence 
Tuesday morning at 8 o'clock, age 11 years, of typhoid pneumonia. The remains were 
embalmed by the Bakeman Undertaking Co. awaiting the arrival of a brother from the 
east. It is expected that interment will take place the first of next week.

Everett Daily Herald

Joseph Mikalsonic died Saturday evening at the Everett hospital. Little is known of 
his relatives. The body is at Maulsby's awaiting funeral arrangements.

Snohomish County Tribune

Charley Miller, a Siwash belonging at the reservation at Tualip, was drowned 
Wednesday eveing whle attempting to cross the river above John Kriechel's place. 
His wife and boy were in the boat with him. The Indian was unable to manage the 
canoe amoung the logs. The woman and boy escaped, but Miller could not get out. 
Pilchuck Julia recited the story of the drowning yesterday morning, in a wa-wa 
which was a temperance lecture and an arraignment of the Boston men at the same 
time. "Boston man marsh hiyu cultus whisky kopa siwash. Momok Siwash hiy polum 
Spse halo whisky yaka hyas closh; halo manolus."

Everett Daily Herald

We desire to express our heartfelt thanks to the friends and neighbors who so 
kindly assisted during our late bereaverment.
Mrs. Charles Miller and family

Snohomish County Tribune

L. Partee this week received the news of the death of his brother-in-law, David 
Miller, in Defiance, Ohio. The deceased was the father of John W. Miller of 

1889 Snohomish Co. Census
Lewis Partee age 43 b/Oh
Anna age 38 b/Oh

Ed Miller age 35 b/Oh single


OBITUARY 5-25-1907 
Post #86 Haller City (Arlington)

Mr. Frank MILLER, proprietor of the Evergreen hotel, passed away Tuesday morning 
from the effects of a stroke of congestive apoplexy suffered the previous 
Saturday. Mr. MILLER, who was 71 years of age, had been enjoying his usual health 
until stricken by the fatal malady. Only recently he took up a homestead in Yakima 
Co. and retuned there from a few days prior to his death. The funeral was held at 
the hotel Thursday at 8:30 a.m. Rev. C.W. Hawkesworth delivering the funeral 
sermon and paying a hearty tribute to the well-recognized sterling traits of the 
deceased. The remains were taken to the former home at Chehalis for Interment. 
Frank MILLER was a pioneer of the state, having resided at Chehalis for the past 
30 years. He came to Arlington six years ago, since when he was married to Mrs. 
Hannah Crossman, who survives him. He leaves two daughters by his first wife, 
Mrs. T.C. Wilson of this place and Mrs. John Dobson of Chehalis. Mr. MILLER was a 
veteran of the Civil war, having enlisted from Mi. and served three years. Grand 
Army comrades served as pallbearers. The widow, Mr. And Mrs. T.C. Wilson and a 
granson whom came over from Chehalis to attend the funeral, accompanied the 


OBITURARY 6-5-1926 
Post #10 Snohomish


Department Officers of G.A.R. Hold Last Rites Over John H. MILLER, Aged Local 

Attesting the popularity of the deceased, the funeral services for John H. MILLER 
this week were entirely conducted by Dept. Officers of the G.A.R. who came from 
their various places of residence about the state to pay their last respects to 
their comrade. 

John H. MILLER was born in St. Clair, Pa., Feb. 8-1848, and died June 5 at his 
home in Morgan’s addition. He served in Co. A. 27th Regiment, Pa. Vol. Militia 
from June 16, 1863 to August 1, 1863. He reenlisted at Harrisburg February 12, 
1864, and served to the end of the Civil War. 

He was married to Katherine HOUSER June 3, 1866. That same year the family left 
Pa. And came to IL where they spent about a year, then to WI, and from there to 
Washington where he has resided for 38 years, four years at Seattle and the 
remaining time in Snohomish and vicinity. 

He was a Member of Morton Post #10 G.A.R. of which he was a past commander and 
also served as department officer for two terms, holding that office at the time 
of his death. 

He leaves three daughters, Mrs Ella GRAY, Mrs Laura MORRIS and Mrs. Mamie SNYDER, 
and one son, Joseph MILLER, all of Snohomish; 18 grandchildren and 16 great grand 
children; a brother, Joseph L. MILLER of New Ringhold, Pa; one sister, Mrs. 
Hannah HAAS of Ellerdale, N.D. 

Funeral services were held Tuesday from the Presbyterian church with the Rev. L.H.
Pedersen officiating. He was laid to rest in the G.A.R. cemetery. Civil War 
comrades from Marysville, Everett and Seattle coming to pay their last tributes. 
Members of the American Legion were pall- bearers

Everett Daily Herald


John H. MILLER was born in St. Clair, P., February 6, 1848 and died June 5, 1926, 
at his home in Morgan's addition, Snohomish. He served in Company A, 27th 
regiment, Pennsylvania volunteer militia, from June 16, 1863 to August 1, 1863. 
He re-enlisted at Harrisburg February 12, 1864 and served to the end of the war. 
He was married to Katherine HOUSER June 2, 1866.

In 1886 he and his family left Pennsylvania and went to Illinois where they spent 
about a year and then to Wisconsin, and from there to Washington where he resided 
for 38 years, four years at Seattle and the remaining time in Snohomish and 
vicinity. He was a member of Morton post No 10 of which he was a past commander 
and also served as department officer for two terms, holding that office at his 

He leaves three daughters, Mrs. Ella GRAY, Mrs. Laura MORRIS and Mrs. Mamie 
SNYDER, and one son Joseph MILLER all of Snohomish; eighteen grandchildren and 
sixteen great grandchildren; also a brother Joseph L. MILLER of New Ringhold, Pa.; 
a sister, Mrs. Hannah HAAS of Ellendale, N.D. 

Funeral services will be held Tuesday at 2 p.m. at the Presbyterian church, the 
Rev. L.H. Pedersen officiating. Interment will be in the G.A.R. cemetery. The body 
is at the residence in Morgan's Addition.

Snohomish GAR Cemetery
Miller  John W. 65      Nov.-21-1926 

Everett Daily Herald

S.L. Miller, the Sunset Telephone company lineman, never regained consciousness 
after taking his awful plunge to the street from a pole on which he as working in 
front of the Everett Produce company's store yesterday morning, and although the 
operation to remove a portion of his fractured skull was said to be successful 
the young man died last night. Manager, Costello, of the Sunset company did 
everything in his power to save Miller's life. As soon as the company office 
learned of the accdent Costello ordered Miller's removal to Providence hospital, 
and then started in search of a physcian. He visited every doctors office in the 
American National bank building, but not a practitioner did he find. When leaving 
the building he encountered Dr. Opsig driving by on Hewitt ave. and immedeately 
sent him to attend the injured lineman. The parents of the dead man live in 
Moscow, Id., and his brother who is employed at the Weyhaeuser mill, may take the 
body to Idaho for burial. Miller had been in the Sunset company's employ but a 
short time and was considered an excellent workman. 

Snohomish County Death Record
Sanford L. Miller 20 yrs died 8-21-1906 father James L. Miller

Everett Daily Herald

F.M. Miller, 2501 Highland Ave., died yesterday at 10 o'clock at Providence 
hospital from cancer of the stomach. The deceased was an old timer in Washington, 
having come to this state from Michigan twenty-two years ago. He had been a 
resident of Snohomish county twelve years, and had lived in the Fourth ward of 
Everett for the past seven years. He was 43 years old. Mr. Miller at one time 
served on the police force of the city, and at the time of being stricken a few 
weeks ago was in the employ of the Ferry-Baker mil compaany. He leaves a wife and 
several children in Everett. The funeral will be held Sunday afternoon at 3 
o'clock from Jerread's undertaking parlors. The Rev. Randall officiating. The 
Woodsmen of the World will have charge of the services at the grave.  

Snohomish County Death Record
Frank Morton Miller age 44 yrs. b/Michigan died 4-23-1907

Snohomish County Tribune

The wife of Deputy Treasurer Edward Mills died Sunday morning at an early hour. Mrs. 
Mills had been suffering from some complaint for several months and about two weeks 
ago submitted to an operation from which she never rallied. Mrs. Mills came from Pa, 
with her husband about four years ago. She was handsome and charming woman, and those
friends of her husband and son who had enjoyed her acquaintance, share with them in 
thier great sorrow.

Everett Daily Herald

The will of Henry Mills was admitted to probate today and Mrs. F.D.C. Mills appointed
executrix without bonds or intervention of the court except its admission to probate.
Henry Mills was killed by falling from the Lowell street car several weeks ago. It 
is thought the deceased was possessed of considerable property as he recently 
disposed of a farm near Mt. Vernon for $16,000 and more recently purchased a half 
block on Grand ave. between Twenty-second and Twenty-third streets, for which he paid
$8,000. Judge J.P. Houser of Mt. Vernon, probated the will. The inventory was filed 
and the will settled this afternoon. 

Snohomish County Death Record
Henry Mills age 59 b/Germany died 8-8-1902

Everett Daily Herald

Mrs. Catherine S. Mills, wife of O.O. Mills, of Granite Falls, died at their home
Monday noon. Mrs. Mills was born in Sweden March 23, 1853, and came to the US in the
year of 1887. After coming to the West she resided in Everett for ten years, moving
from there to Grantie Falls where she has been a resident for fifteen years. She is
survived by her husband and one daughter, Miss Irene Gabrielson of Carmel, CA. The
funeral was held from the Congretgational church of Granite Falls, the Rev. August 
Dale officiating, under the direction of Purdy & Sons. 

Snohomish County Triubune

The sad news of the death March 26, of Rollin H. Mitchell, of Everett, reached this 
city last Monday morning. Mr. Mitchell had been sick with typhoid fever for the last 
two weeks and it was thought that he was on the way to a speedy recovery when death 
overtook him. He was well known in this city; having lived here several years ago. 
At the time he was taken ill he was employed as business manager on the Independent, 
at Everett. Rollin H. Mitchell was born in Stockton, Ks., Jan. 5, 1876. In 1891 he 
went to Everett with his parents, Mr. and Mrs. J.H. Mitchell, his father being at 
that time postmaster. He was a pupil of the Everett high school, and in 1898-9 was a 
student at the Universityof Washington, at Seattle, where he followed a course in 
civil and mining engineering. He was one of the organizers and president of the 
Everett Athletic Club and was loved and respected by all who knew him. Besides his 
parents, his sister, Miss Lola Mitchell, Mr. and Mrs. J.C. Denny, Mr. and Mrs. G.N. 
Scott, D.L. Petty, Grant S. McNeeley and Charles White of Everett, and Mr. and Mrs. 
John J. Smith, of Stockton, are surviving relatives. The funeral took place from the 
home of his parents Wednesday afternoon.

Everett Daily Herald

Carl Hilmar Moe, 79, died Thursday morning at the thome in Mukilteo, following an 
extended illness. Mr. Moe was born in Oslo, Norway, November 7, 1864 and came to the 
U.S. in 1903 and since 1909 had lived in Mukilteo. He was a member of the 
Pentecoastal church of Mukilteo. Surviving realatives are the widow, Mrs. Marie Moe, 
at home, two sons Bjorn Moe of 2400 Grand Ave. and Henry R. More of 7702 Thirteth 
Ave N.W. Seattle. a daughter Mrs. Roy a Johns of route three Everett, six 
grandchildren, a brother Hagbart Moe of Oslo, Norway; and two sisters Misses Clara 
and Inga Moe of Oslo. Funeral services will be held at the chapel of Challacombe & 
Fickel Saturday morning at 11 o'clock. The Rev. Otis Wixon and the Rev. Dorthy Van 
Patten will officiate. Burial will be in Evergreen Cemetery.

Snohomish County Tribune

Capt. John Monsey received word Tuesday of the death of his mother in England at the 
advanced age of ninety years. A noble mother gone to her rest.

Everett Daily Herald

James Montgomery was drowned abut 3 o'clock Monday afternoon while working as a 
river driver for the Halterman logging company in the slough two miles above Lowell. 
He was rolling logs in company with the rest of the crew, who while all eyes were 
turned in another direction heard a splash and discovered that Montgomery had 
disappeared. The body was recovered after a brief search but life was extinct. The 
remains were brought here by Coroner Bakeman and embalmed. He will be held until 
Saturday and then buried of not claimed by relatives. A letter bearing the signature 
of James O'Brien and the date line, Milton, N.B., December 17th, 1903 was found in 
the belonging of the dead man. O'Brien was telegrammed a query as  to the residence 
of Montgomery parents, but has not replied yet. It is thought Montgomery has 
relatives residing at Lower Mass. 

Snohomish County Death Record
James Montgomery age 28 b/Ontario Canada died 6-27-1904  

Snohomish County Tribune

An Everett special to the P-I Sunday says: This afternoon about 3 o'clock Simon J. 
Fox shot at and fatally wounded Henry Monty near the residence of the former. It 
seems that Monty has not been providing for his family and Mr. Fox had rented a 
building and was making it his home, living with the Monty family. Monty had just 
returned from Seattle, and learning that his family was living with Fox, proceeded 
to hunt him up. Finding Fox at home, a quarrel ensued which resulted in Mr. Fox 
being knocked down several times. The badly whipped man went into the house and 
armed himself, Monty still remaining on the outside. Fox then informed Monty that 
he was armed, and if he came into the house he would be shot. This only angered 
Monty, who at once started for the room Fox was in. When he came near Fox fired 
into the ceiling of the room. This did not frighten Monty and the next shot took 
effect in Monty's right breast penetrating the upper portion. Monty was at once 
taken to the Everett ett hospital. The attending physicians have so far failed to 
locate the bullet. Fox gave himself up to the Sheriff. Fox is a single man and at 
once time conducted a fish market on Hewitt Ave. Monty has a wife and seven 
children, three girls who are grown up young women. Later- Monty has since died 
from his wounds.

Granite Falls Record

Civil War Veteran

J.A. MOORE one of our old time resident, passed away at 7:20 a.m., January 5th, 1925.
He was born May 30th, 1846, at St Albans, Vt., and on January 1867 was married to 
Katherine McMAHAN. He leaves to mourn his loss his wife, one son, A.R. MOORE, one 
daughter A.C. ROBE, and seven grand children, Dorothy and Vivian ROBE, both at 
present in Mt, Fred MOORE of Everett, Wa., and Katherine, Donald, Carol and Keith 
BORING of Granite Falls, Wa. 

He was a Civil War Veteran, a Mason of long standing, and a man of strong Christian 
principles since boyhood, having been a deacon in the Congregational church of 
Granite Falls for many years. He came to Granite Falls over twenty years ago from 
Redfield, South Dakota, where he was a pioneer. 

Mr. MOORE has always taken an active interest in the town, serving as it s Mayor for 
several years. To say that Granite Falls will fell his loss and miss his timely 
council is paying but a small tribute to his memory. He was progressive in all the 
communities in which he lived, and his loss will be keenly felt by all who knew him. 

Funeral services were held in the Congregational church at 1 o’clock Thursday 
afternoon. Rev. Pederson of Snohomish preaching the sermon and music was rendered by 
the choir, after which the Ladies of the G.A.R. held a short service at the flag 
draped casket. Interment was made in the G.A.R. cemetery at Snohomish, the Masonic 
service being used, J.H. Curtis presiding. The active Pallbearers were; S.J. Wilder, 
C.R. Bockmier, John Curtis, Wm. Rehbein, Herny Fox, and D.I. Carpenter.

Snohomish County Tribune

MOORE- Mr. Barney Moore was brought here from Wenas, Yakima County, Wash. last 
Thursday and taken to the hospital for treatment. On Friday an operation was 
performed by Dr. Case assisted by Dr. Keefe, and a surgical kidney removed. Mr. Moore 
lived three days and a half after the operation, but died Tuesday from urenic 
intoxication, the remaining kidney not being equal to the function of both organs. 
The body was shipped home for interement.

Snohomish County Tribune

Homer A. Moore died at his home at Monroe, Friday morning, November 16, 1900, of 
typhoid pneumonia, and was buried from the Congregational church, this city, Sunday 
afternoon at 1:30, Rev. G.A. Gray preaching the funeral sermon. Homer A. Moore was 
born in Calhoun county, Mich, in 11857. He came to Washington in 1878, and for a 
number of years made his home with his sister Mrs. Lot Wilbur, in this city. He was 
a druggist by profession, and in 1897 started a store in Monroe, where he had built 
up a lucrative business; and a year ago was married to Miss Mae Hintz, a lady of that 
place. Interment was made at Woodlawn cemetery. 


Agnes Hackett Dead

Mrs. Agnes Hackett, formerly of Snohomish, died at St. Lukes hospital in Bellingham, 
Saturday, February 14th. She had been ill for four weeks. Funeral services were held 
at 11:a.m. Monday from the Presbyterian church, Snohomish. The Rev. L.H. Pederson 
offficiating. Interment was at G.A.R. cemetery, under the direction of Undertaker 
Halow of Bellingham and C.H. Bakman. Agnes Ellen Hackett was born at Graigauntlett 
County Down, Ireland 2-4-1873. In company with her parents , other brothers and a 
sister she came to America when she was only four months old. The family moved to 
Washington Territory in the fall of 1881. Here Mrs. Hackett made her home until 
sixteen years ago when she went to Arizona with her husband, there to try to regain 
Mr. Hacketts health. She was married to Alfred Hackett in 10-1901. Mrs. Hackett was a 
member of the Presbyterian church of this city and of Silver Dollar Chapter, OES of 
Chelan. She is survived by three sisters and two brothers, Mrs. E.L. Deering of 
Snohomish, Mrs W.H. Cassell of Wenatchee, Mrs. H.F. Andrus of Bellingham, S.B. MOORE 
of Monroe and J.B. MOORE of Granite Falls. Attending the funeral from Monroe were 
Mayor Bascom, Councilmen E.H. Streissguth, Cook, Brady, Faulds; City Clerk Purdy, 
Treeasuer Mrs. E.C. Newell, Librarian Mrs. Beckman.

1889 Snohomish County census

George Moore age 46 farmer b/Ir
Hester 45 b/Ks (not sure why Ks is noted)
Samuel 19 b/Ks
John 18 b/Ks
Mary 16 b/Ks
Agnes 14 b/Ks
Ester 12 b/Ks
Sarah 10 b/Ks

Everett Daily Herald

Hannah T. Moore, 63, died at her home on South Madison street, Monroe, late Wednesday 
night following a long illness. Surviving are the husband, Sam M. Moore, one son, 
Lawrence, of Camp Union, Wa.; two sisters, Mrs. Ella Johnson and Mrs. Alice 
Bridgeford, both of Lowell; one brother in Seattle, and a nephew, Dr. C.B. Knapp, of 
Everett. She was a member of Monroe chapter O.E.S. and of the Tolera Rebakah lodge 
Monroe. Funeral services will be held Sunday at 2 p.m. at the Monroe Methodist church 
with the Rev. Robert Allen officiating. Interment will be in the I.O.O.F. cemetery 
under the direction of E. E. Purdy and Sons with the members of Tolera Rebekah lodge 
holding ritual services at the grave.

Everett Daily Herald

Mrs. W. J. Moore died Monday afternoon at her home at 2010 Summit ave.  Funeral 
services will be held from the Riverside Catholic church tomorrow at 9 a.m. Interment
will be in the Catholic cemetery. Deceased leaves a husband, two sons and a daughter. 

Sno. Co. Death Record
Carrie Kathrine (Maire) Moore  age 45 died 10-7-07 buried at Mt. Carmel Cemetery


Married, in Seattle, at the residence of the officiating clergyman, Rev John F. 
Damon,on Sunday evening, August 13, 1899, Mr. H.A. Moore and Miss Mae Heintz, both of 
Monroe, Washington.

Everett Daily Herald

Al Moran, who has been suffering with inflammation of the brain for the past few 
days, died this moring at 4:30. His death caused great grief to a host of friends 
and relatives. Mr. Moran spent his boyhood in Snohomish and is therefore well known 
to every old time resident of this city. For many months he has been employed in 
Foster's store, where his association with the general public has aided hundreds to 
his list of friends. Mr. Moran leaves a wife, and two children, a mother, one sister 
and four brothers to mourn his loss. The funeral will probably be held Saturday, but 
the hour has not been decided upon. 

Sno. Co. Death Record
Allen H. Moran age 28 b/Wi died 2-12-1903

Sno. Co. Marriage Record
Allen H. Moran m Mary H. Langdon 2-16-1898 

Snohomish County Tribune

Mrs. Charles M. Morgan died at her home in Marshland, Christmas morning, at 3:30 
o'clock. The funeral is being held this afternoon at the residence.

Marshland Cem.
Mary Jane Morgan 9-7-1875 to 12-25-1900 w/o Charles M. Morgan
Wm. Morgan died 3-20-1916 s/o Charles & Jane Morgan

Snohomish County Tribune

Mrs. Chas Morgan, died at the home of her parents Mr. and Mrs. Henry Sommers, at 
3:30 o'clock, Christmas morning, and was buried from her own home in Marshland, 
Friday afternoon, Dec. 28, and laid to rest in Marshland cemetery. Mary Sommers 
was born in Germany in 1876, and came to Snohomish with her parents in 1883, and
four years ago was married to her bereaved husband, Charles M. Morgan. For several 
months past she had been failing from consumption, and the last of October Mr. Morgan 
took her to California with the hopes that the change might benefit her. But it was 
too late, and they returned home, reaching here but a short time before  she died. 
She leaves a husband and infant daughter, father and mother, three sisters and two 
brothers, besides a large circle of friends. Mr. Morgan has been greatly afflicted 
within the past three years, having buried two children besides his wife in that 
time. The funeral of Mrs. Morgan was laregely attended by her friends, many Odd 
Fellow from Snohomish attending in respect to her husband, who is a member of that 

Snohomish County Tribune

The citizens were shocked Thursday morning at the early report that "Charlie" Morgan 
is dead, but few had known of his sickness, and not even family suspected that he was 
seriously ill until within a short time proior to his death. Dr. McCready pronounced 
the cause of death bronchial pneumonia. It seems that the symptoms were simular to 
those of the children who died in that section of the city a month ago, and was then 
pronounced diphtheria, and precautions have been taken against any danger which might 
result if it was contageous. Charles D. Morgan was 38 years of age, and had lived in 
Snohomish ever since he was a tiny boy, having moved here with his parents about 
Twenty years ago. He leaves a wife and four children, besides a host of friends, to 
mourn his loss. He was a genial companion, and industrious man, a loving husband and 
father and a good citizen, further need not be said of any man. We all mourn his loss.
 The funeral services are to be held this afternoon at the home of the deceased, and 
the body will be laid to rest in the old cemetery.

Snohomish County Death Record
Charles E. Morgan age 38 died 4-28-1897

Snohomish County Marriage Record
Charles D. Morgan m Clara Neimeyer 12-26-1881

1889 Snohomish Co. Census
M. Morgan age 49 male b/Wales farmer
Chas age 19 b/Wales
G. age 17 male b/Wales
Thomas age 14 b/Wales
Mary age 12 b/Wales
Lissie age 10 b/Wales
David age 8 b/Wales
Jane age 7 b/Wales


Snohomish,July 15, Isaac MORRIS, a pioneer resident of Snohomish and veteran of the 
Civil war, died at his home at the intersection of Willow and Pearl streets, in this 
city at an early hour this morning, aged 77 years. Mr. MORRIS was born in Ohio, 
enlisted in an Iowa regiment and served during the civil war. He came to Snohomish 
county thirtyseven years ago and was therefore amoung the earliest settlers who are 
now alive. He leaves several children. The funeral will be held at 2 o'clock Tuesday.

Snohomish County 1889 Census
Isaac MORRIS age 53 farmer b/Oh
Mat 49
Joe 23 b/Oh

Snohomish County Tribune

Mrs. Morris, wife of Dr. J.D. Morris, formerly of this city, died at the home of her 
daughter, Mrs. A. D. Austin, in Everett, las Monday, and was buried in Lakeview 
cemetery, Seattle, on Wednesday. Mrs Morris was a resident of Snohomish for ten 
years. She was an estimable lady and had a host of friends in this city, who mourn 
her loss.

Snohomish County Tribune

Last Sunday morning, Oct. 22, at Odanah, Wi., Mrs. Daniel Morrison, eldest child of 
A. La Bell, of this city died. Mrs. Morrison was well known in this city, having 
lived here with her parents about six years. She went back to Wisconsin two years 
ago, after the death of her mother, and was married there last May. 

Woodlawn Cemetery
LaBELLE  Mrs. A.   1867 4-12-1897 (per obit dated 4-16-1897

Snohomish Triburne

Assistant road-master of the S&L, Harry J. Morritz, while riding a speeder yesterday 
near Arlington, was struck by a freight train and killed.

OBITUARY 10-14-1909 
Post #89 Everett

John F. Jerread will conduct the funeral service Sunday afternoon at 2 o’clock from 
the late home, 3205 Nassau street, over the remains of Albert MORSE, age 77, who died 
Thursday. The deceased, who leaves a family, was a member of John Buford Post, 
G.A.R., and the interment will take place in the veterans’ cemetery near Snohomish. 
Funeral services in respect for Comrade MORSE will be held at the home of his 
daughter, Mrs. J.L. Finch, 3205 Nassau, at 2 p.m. Sunday. A special car will be 
provided. All member of John Buford Post #89 are requested to be in attendance. 

Everett Daily Herald

We thank the comrades, ladies of the G.A.R., friends and neighbors for their 
assistance in our late bereavement in the death of a husband, father and grandfather 
Albert MORSE.

Mrs. Mabelia MORSE
Mr. and Mrs. J.L. Finch
Elmer D. Finch

Post #10 Snohomish

The date of the funeral of Eldridge MORSE, who died at the Snohomish hospital Monday,
has not been set. Arrangements are awaiting the arrival of relatives. 

Eldrige MORSE was born on a farm near Wallingford, Ct. in 1847. At an early age he 
began studying and entered the army at New York harbor at the age of 17 years. He was 
a member of Co. C of the Tenth US engineer’s battalion and was with the army of the 
Potomac for 18 months and was present at the surrender of Lee to Grant at Richmond. 
From there he went to San Francisco, Ca. where he received an honorable discharge 
from the army. He then went to visit his old home at Wallingford, after which he went
to Albion, Ia., where he taught school and practiced law and was admitted to the bar 
at Iowa in 1869. He next attended the University of MI from which he graduated in 

He married one of his oldest Iowa pupils, Mollie TURNER, and then came to Seattle 
where he stayed a few months before arriving at Snohomish in 1972. He took up a 
homestead near this city which is now known as the McLaughlin place. He practiced 
law in Snohomish for a few yers and in 1876 stared the first newspaper published on 
the Sound, the Northern Star in this city. He took Fanny OLIVER as his Second wife, 
but divorced her shortly after marriage. He then took his third wife, in 1887 who 
died in 1900. 

Through Mr. MORSE's influence the old Athenaeum, better known as the Cathcart 
building, was built on the corner of Ave. D and First street. This building was used 
for a library, a theater and a museum. 

For the past few years he has been a member of the local G.A.R. and took an active 
part in all patriotic programs. After running the newspaper he retired from public 
life and since 1888 he has been living on a farm near Snohomish and in his house in 
town, spending nearly all his spare time studying. 

He leaves a son Ed C. MORSE, by his first wife, who is now a mining engineer at 
Republic, Wa. By his third wife he has a daughter, Mrs. C.H. Matthews, of Markham, 
and four sons, John of Seattle, and Arthur, Harley and Roland all living at 

Everett Daily Herald

Mrs. MOSE MORSE of Snohomish, died yesterday at 5 p.m., at the home of her daughter, 
Mrs. James Boaz, 1606 Twenty-fourth ave., Seattle. The funeral will be held from the 
Baptist church Sunday afternoon, Rev. MacIntosh, of Seattle, officiating. 

Everett Daily Herald

The funeral of Mrs. Mose Morse will be held from the Baptist church at 2 o'clock 
Sunday afternoon, Rev. C.M. Cline officiating. She leaves a husband and a daughter 
of Seattle, a sister , Mrs. Isaac Morse of this city, two sisters and two brothers 
in Iowa.

Everett Daily Herald

MOSES MORRIS, one of the pioneers of this county, died at the Snohomish General 
hospital Thursday afternoon at 3 o'clock, following a long illness. He has lived 
in Snohomish county for over thirty years and most of this time was spent on a ranch 
on the Snoqualmie river. A few years ago he sold his land and went to Seattle to 
live. While on a visit to Snohomish he took sick. He is survived by two sisters who 
reside in Iowa and Ohio. The and five boys, a daughter, Mrs. J. W. Boaz, formerly 
Mrs. Isaac Cathcart of this city, resides in Seattle. The funeral will be held 
tomorrow afternoon at 2 o'clock from the parlors of Bakman and Purdy. Rev. D.S. Kerr,
pastor of the Methodist Episcopal church, will have charge of the service. Interment 
will take place at the G.A.R. cemetery.

Snohomish County Tribune

At 6 p.m. Monday evening, May 21, 1900, at the family residence, in Snohomish, Wa., 
Mrs. ALICE MORSE, wife of Eldridge Morse of this city, passed to her final rest. 
Pneumonia, heart failure and hemorrhage of the lungs ended her suffering after but 
three days of sickness. The many marked characteristics of Mrs. Morse made her 
exceedingly well known in this community. She was born at Winona, Mn. Feb. 22, 1858. 
Her maiden name was Alice Mathews. Her mother was a relative of McCormick, the 
inventor of the McCormick reaper. In early life Mrs. Morse lived in her fathers 
family in several states. At Sacramento, Ca., she learned the glove makers trade and 
all about hotel work. When nineteen years of age she married Mr. Hiram Henderson, 
superintendent of the street railway of Sacramento, who died of quick consumption, 
less than one year after her marriage. She then successfully ran a boarding house 
there, until her second marriage to Wm. Turney. They lived at Sacramento until 1883 
when they moved to Puget Sound. On locating at Snohomish they opened a glove factory.
Afterwards they accepted employment in the Snohomish Exchange Hotel, then very 
efficiently run by Isaac Cathcart. While thus employed Mr. Turney died very suddenly 
of appoplexy. On June 10, 1885, she married Eldrige Morse, the well-known pioneer 
lawyer and journalist, of Snohomish county.

The fruits of this marriage are five surviving children. Belle, John, Arthur, Harley 
B. and Roland Irving Morse. During several years of trials and struggles Mrs. Morse 
developed peculiar clarvoyant faculties. The funeral took place 2 p.m. May 23, 1900. 
The body was laid to rest beside the grave of Mr. Morse's first wife, Martha A. in 
the family burial ground, in the old cemetery. Leander W. Matthews and Arthur 
Matthews, well know resident of this county, living near the Marysville road, some 
seven miles north-west of here are brothers of the deceased. Alice Matthews the 
popular and efficent teacher of the public school there is her neice and namesake.  

Snohomish County Death Record
Alice Morse age 42 years b/Mn died 5-21-1900 parents Mathews & McCormmick

Snohomish County Tribune

At her home in Wallingford, Conn., on Feb. 24,1899 died Mrs. A.A. MORSE, aged 82 
years and the mother of Eldrige Morse.

The Everett Daily Herald

CHARLES MORSE, 47 years, died Sunday at Sedro-Woolley. Mr. Morse resided in Snohomish 
prior to eighteen years ago. He is survived by his mother, Mrs. Maria Morse of 
Snohomish, four brothers W. Morse of Spokane, O. Morse of Snohomish, and Arthur and 
Harry Morse of Bellingham and one sister, Mrs. Harry Fraser of Snohomish. Funeral 
service will be held Tuesday at 2:30 p.m. from C.H. Bakeman's chapel. Interment will 
be in G.A.R. cemetery.

Everett Daily Herald

MONROE MORSE, aged 70 years, died yesterday from erysipelas, at his home on the Ruff 
place in Ludwig's addition. Mr. Morse, who leaves a widow and a large family, arrived
here about two weeks ago from the east. He will be buried tomorrow under the auspices
of the G.A.R. Services will be held at the family residence at 2 o'clock p.m. 

Snohomish Co. Death Records
HORACE MONROE MORSE age 70 b/NY died 4-21-1907 father Horace Morse & Belsie Blackman

Horace was the husband of Maria Morse (Thacker) she died 8-23-1927 and his children 
were noted as W.D. Morse, Marshall, O.D., Arthur, Henry, Minnie (Moore), Mrs. 

Horace Monroe Morse served with 38th Ohio Inf. Co. G and was buried at the G.A.R. 
cemetery under the direction of  the Oliver Morton Post #10 G.A.R. His wife 
continued to belong to the W.R.C. until her death in 1927 and she was buried 
under the direction of Oliver Morton Post #10 also.

Everett Daily Herald

TOM MORSE, a logger, was killed Sunday morning by train No. 4. He had laid face down 
on the Pilchuck bridge, and the car steps had caught his blankets and knocked him 
off, striking on his back 35 feet below. He lived a half hour after being brought to 
Arlington. He was buried here. 

Snohomish County Death Record
THOMAS MORSE age 45 died 3-17-1901

Everett Daily Herald

Joseph Morton, 63 years of age, is dead at his home 2226 Lombard ave. The funeral 
will be held from Challacombe chapel Wednesday afternoon at 3:30, Rev. West 
officiating. Mr. Morton is survived by his widow and two sons. 

Joseph Morton age 24 years residence Clinton, Co. Mi. enlisted in 5th Mi. Inf. Co.
"C:8-28-1961 and was discharged on disability on 8-10-1862. After war he also 
lived in St. Johns, Mi. 

The 1908 Polk Directory Everett, Wa noted a Joseph Morton also living at 2226 

Everett Daily Herald

Cyrus A. Mosier, a former resident of Snohomish who will be remembered by all the 
old timers, died November 10 in Des Moines, Iowa, after predicting his own death. 
Mosier was a man of unusual ability, and the later years of his life were spent 
in research and travel. He had the unique distiction of being the first short 
hand man west of the Mississippi river, and practiced it in the courts of that 
region while it was almost unknown in the east. He was a great studen and 
investigator. He left here a number of years ago to return to his old home in Des 
Moines, of which city he was a pioneer.

Everett Daily Herald


No trace has yet been found of E.L. MOWER, an old Soldier, for whom search has been 
made in Everett by a Minneapolis man. The latter has left for Seattle. MOWER,
according to a statement made by the searcher, is wanted as a witness in an 
important case in Minneapolis. The action involves a large amount of money, and as 
the missing man is an important witness in it , every effort is being made to find 



The flag will be raised at half mast on the city flag pole tomorrow in respect to 
Capt. I.N. MUDGETT, who recently died at Great Falls, N.H. Mr. MUDGETT was a member 
of Morton Post GAR of this city

GAR Post has death date of 4-21-1893 in NH

1889 Snohomish County Census
Ellen MUDGETT age 46 married b/Me
May H. age 13 b/Ma
M. 9 b/Ma
Lea 1 b/Ma

Snohomish County Tribune

Frederick H. Mudgett- The telegraph Tuesday brought the many friends of the Mudgett 
family in Snohomish the sad intelligence of the death of Mr. Fred Mudgett, a former 
resident of this place, at Sacramento, California. Mr. Mudgett was threatened with 
consumption nearly a year ago, and went to Arizona to seek aid. His wife, Fannie 
Kittell Mudget, joined him last winter, and did everything possible to alleviate his 
suffering. But the climate and medical aid was inefective and they decided to return 
to the hotel in Sacramento for a few hours rest, he died in the cab. The body will be 
brought to Snohomish, and be taken charge of by Undertaker Phelps. The funeral will 
be held at the Presbyterian church at 2:30 o'clock Sunday afternoon, Rev. Dorrance 
officiating and the body will be buried at Woodlawn cemetery. 

Snohomish County Tribune

The S. & I. train south last night killed a man just a little this side of Bryant 
station. The man lay with his head on the tie, and his feet out on the side of the 
embankment, the body being hidden by ferns. As the engine went past him, he raised 
his head and was struck, killing him instantly. The body was brought down to 
Arlington and by papers in the pockets, found to be Clarence Needham. The coroner is 
holding the inquest today.

Snohomish County Death Record
Clarence Mudham age 22 died 7-6-1896

Snohomish County Tribune

The following is copied from the Pacific Commercial Advertiser, Honolulu, H.I., 
of Dec. 10, 1898:

Harold G. Munns, infant son of Mrs. M.C. Munns, died yesterday morning at 6 o'clock 
in the Queen hotel. The bereaved mother, who is the daughter of the Rev. and Mrs. J. 
Cairns, and sister of the far-famed evangelist, Geo R. Cairns, of the Baptist church,
is of the Garonne excursion part. Little Harold was ill on the voyage and was 
throughly exhausted when the party came ashore. Dr. Herbert was called at once, and 
all that was possible was done to relieve the sufferer, but in vain. Most fortunately 
Mrs. Munns parents are with her and their neice, Mr. Geo. W. Ewart, and other friends 
have helped and comforted them in this time of great loss and deep sorrow. The 
funeral services took place at 4:30 p.m. yesterday at the Queens hotel and was 
conducted by the Rev. Garvin. Several of the excursionists and other sympathizing 
friends were present.

Snohomish County Tribune

News was received here this week of the death of Horace G. Munns, the well known 
lawyer of this city, at Redlands, California on the 7th. Mr. and Mrs. Munns went to 
Southern California serval months ago for the benefit of Mr. Munns health, he never 
having fully recovered from an attack of the Grippe, and from which he has been 
suffering for more than a year.

Everett Daily Herald

The funeral of James S. Murdock who died of consumption last night about 10 o'clock 
at home of his mother, 2505 Harrison, was held this afternoon at 4 o'clock from 
Jerread's chapel. Rev. Sharp of Seattle, officiating. His remains will be taken on 
the overland tonight to Wenatchee for burial.

Snohomish Co. Death Record

James Forster Murdock age 18 b/Oregon died 8/10/1906 father noted as Robert F. mother
Aurora Foster.

Monroe Monitor


Pat Murray, a well known rancher of Tualco Valley, died Tuesday morning, January 
23rd, of pneumonia, after a sickness of nine days. He was buried Thursday afternoon, 
the funeral being held at the house at 1 o'clock, Rev. Mckean conducting the 
services, burial being in the Monroe cemetary. He leaves a wife and five children. 
He was 47 years old and came here in 1880 from Syracuse, NY where he was born. The 
death of Pat Murray came as a distinct shock to the community, where he is one of 
the most familiar figures in the life of the town and country. and his loss will be 
felt by all who knew him.

Patrick F. Murray m Ellen Smallman 3-1-1892

Ellen Smallman is the d/o Robt. Smallman and a Snoqualmie Indian named Betsy; she is 
also the 1/2 sister of James Kimball of Snoqualmie by Betsy.

Everett Daily Herald

Mrs. Mary Alice Mutterback, 68, died at her home, 2020 Broadway this moring after a
long illness. Mrs. Mutterback is survived by two sisters, Mrs. Jane Mayard of Prince
Edward Island, Canada; Mrs. Annie Hatch of Everett; two brothers, Enos Heffel of
Alberta, Canada, Stewart Heffel of Julietta, Idaho. Funeral services will be 
announced later from the Auseth funeral home, 2317 Broadway.


BACK to the Snohomish County USGenWeb Project MAIN PAGE

For more information about this WA GenWeb Project page,
email the County Coordinator, Marge Reid, at

This Snohomish County page was updated on 15 May 2002
copyright © 2002 - Margaret V Reid