Windham, Windham Co. VT

Vermont Historical Gazetteer

A Local History of


Civil, Educational, Biographical, Religious and Military

Volume V







Published by




Part III - Pages 1-26






Windham of Windham County.





The town of Londonderry which then embraced Windham was chartered by the State of New York, Feb. 13, 1770, and to this town belongs the history of Windham while included in said town.

The first settlers came to Londonderry in 1773, James Rogers, James Patterson, Samuel Thompson, Edward Aiken, James McCormick, and John Woodburn. The three last named were the first settlers of Windham. They purchased their lands for three or four English shillings per acre.

In the north part of the town, 1773, Edward Aiken commenced clearing his farm with the help of a hired man In August, lie was taken sick in his shanty; nine miles from his nearest neighbor. "He found the means of in-forming his wife at Londonderry, N. H. She getting upon her horse with her youngest child in her arms sought and found her husband's sick-bed through an almost trackless wilderness of a hundred miles ; the last eight of which were followed by marked trees.

She brought with her health and strength, and after a few weeks. Her husband regained his health, and she returned to her family in the same way that she came." In the character of Mrs. Aiken we discover all the traits which so conspicuously shine in a noble hearted, firm-minded woman ; courage and perseverance to surmount the difficult obstacles in the way of duty, prompted by conjugal affection and maternal love.

Mr. Aiken remained on his farm to clear of the chopping, sow the grain and drag it in. On the first of November. this was all accomplished, except the dragging in which they purposed to do the next day; but the next morning, eight inches of snow covered the ground. The hired man was dismissed, the oxen were taken to their winter quarters, the pack strapped to the Deacon's shoulders, and he returned through slush and snow, once more to his old home in New Hampshire.

Early, the next spring, he returned to Vermont accompanied by his son, Peter, and his daughter, Naomi, they arrived at his settlement the day that Peter was ten years old. His sister was nearly twelve. They found the shanty safe ; the unharrowed grain, growing finely ; and having hired a man to work alternate weeks through the season (the other half of the time the man worked for Mr. Utley, ten or twelve miles distant,) be left these two children in this vast wilderness to be gone six weeks to Londonderry, N. H. At the expiraration of this time, he returned with his own and several other families; and Windham, then Londonderry, was permanently settled. Mr. Aiken built a log house a little north of where the house now owned by Widow Aiken stands, and afterwards a framed one on the same premises. Soon after they came here, Mr. Aiken and a relative of the same name, built a saw-mill near Derry pond. They sawed the lumber for two houses ; one for each. A fire broke out near by and destroyed the mill and the lumber, and the erection of their houses was retarded.

Col. James Rogers and Edward Aiken were members of that memorable Convention which met at Dorset Sep. 25, 1776 : -The birthday of Vermont.

Edward Aiken was the first representative from this town, and a member of the first legislature, which assembled, Mar. 12, 1778. He represented the town from this year to 1795, except one year when John Burnap was representative.

In 1795, James Rogers, Jr. petioned to the legislature to grant him one half the land in the town, which remained unsold. His petition was granted. The next year, he petitioned for the ether half alledging, that if it was right for him to have one half, it was right that he should have the whole. This petition, also, was granted.

In this year, a petition was presented to the legislature to divide the town of Londonderry. Oct. 22, 1795, an act passed the legislature incorporating the east part of Londonderry and Mack's Leg into a new town called


It took its name from Windham, N. H. which was taken from Londonderry N. H. 1742. And the name of Windham, N. H. was taken from one of that name similarly situated in relation to Londonderry in Ireland. The inhabitants were called Scotch Irish and claimed they were possessors of the better qualities of both the Scotch and the Irish.

The records of the town from its first settlement to 1793, are nearly all lost. It is recorded that Robert McCormick was town clerk, Rufus Thayer, constable, Peter Aiken, James Mack and Abial Whitmen were selectmen. Mr. Deming says in his Appendix of Vermont Officers, "It is not supposed that these were the first officers appointed, but that the early records have gone a journey and have forgotten to return."

Windham is bounded N. by Andover, E. by Grafton, S. E. by Townshend, S. and S. W. by Jamaica and W. by Londonderry.

The town is uneven ; the water is pure and the soil is better adapted to grazing than to raising grain. W hen the land was first cleared, wheat and rye were raised in abundance ; hut neither has been profitable for many years.

The trees of the forest are much the same as in neighboring towns; pine timber not plenty, but the spruce abundant. The sugar maple so much prised for making sugar is more used for shade than any other tree.

The inhabitants are very industrious and frugal. There are very few who are wealthy, and not many who are very poor: They have, generally, enough to be comfortable, and some-thing to spare for the support of public institutions. There are a few mechanics, but we live mostly by farming.

The people of this town have always given much attention to the means of education.


were established very early in every neighborhood. Before the inhabitants were able to build good school-houses, their summer schools were kept in barns- When the haying season commenced, they either had a vacation a few weeks, or moved the school into the empty stable, which they converted into a school-room. They fitted up for the winter school some old log-house, or spared a room in some dwelling-house.

The first school in the Centre District was kept by


It was a summer school and it was kept in a log-house.

The first schoolmaster of Windham was


who kept the first winter school in town. (date unknown.)

The most of our teachers, who have not completed their education at the common school have preferred high schools or academies to a boarding school. We have very few who have received regular instruction and taken diplomas.


Before coming to this wilderness, the first settlers had been a church-going people and felt the importance of religious instruction. Having no stated preaching, or house to meet in, they occasionly hired a minister a few sale-baths and held their meetings in Judge Aiken's barn, which was near the centre of the town. I distinctly remember of hearing Rev. Mr. Carlton preach, when I was a child, and seeing women with heavy silk dresses and long trains such as were worn in the last century come in over the rough barn floor making a sound like distant rain.

In the south part of the town and corner of Jamaica, Elder Combs, a Baptist minister, preached occasionly, and, I have heard my father speak of having heard Elder Stoddard, a Baptist Elder, preach after he came to Vermont.

Those who lived too far from meeting to walk, used to ride on horse-back. It has been facetiously said that a man on a horse with a grandchild in his arms and his son or daughter on the horse behind him, imposed the burden of three generations upon one horse.

Thomas Jefferson married a rich widow; after the ceremony, his wife mounted the horse behind him and rode to his residence. It was the general and fashionable way of riding then. Pillions, faetened to the back part of the saddle were much used and very easy to ride upon.

With the hope of obtaining such a division of this town and other towns, adjoining as to bring the north part of Windham the centre of one town and the south part, the centre of another town, the inhabitants at the north part raised a subscription in 1799, to build a meeting-house. It was raised in the summer of 1801, in the north part of the town, between the settlements of Mr. E. Aiken and Mr. J. Woodburn.

The house was 54 ft. by 22; posts height, 25 ft. It was inclosed, but never finished.

It is said that workmen were hired for 4 s. per day. I suppose it meant carpenters. Not succeeding in the anticipated division of the town, the next year, 1802, the meeting-house was erected at the Middle of the Town.

In this house there were, originally, 25 proprietors. One poor man, who could hardly support his family, subscribed $15. He made salts in the woods and carried them to Townshend ( we had no trader in town then) to pay his subscription.

Within a year from this time, meetings were held in this house. A carpenter's bench was used for a stand, and rough boards for seats.

The first sermon delivered here was by Rev. William Hall of Grafton. In 1825, the house was finished at an expense of $ 1000, and the next year was painted white, cost $ 228.

Rev. Philetus Clark preached the dedication sermon. The pews were sold at auction, and Major Aiken and Captain Stearns bid off the two highest pews at $ 50, each.

To show the price then of produce and labor, I will here copy the


at a school-meeting, 1798: To hire a Mistress at 3 s. per week and pay her in salts at 20 s. per hundred, or butter at 9 d. per pound, or wheat at 3s. 3d. per bushel, or rye at 4s. per bushel, or corn at 3s. per bushel."

From this time the circumstances and manner of doing business changed very rapidly. In 1807, the writer of this sketch commenced teaching school.

One dollar a week was the common price, and nothing said about any other pay but money. Previous, it was so 1 difficult to turn country produce into money that in almost all matters of trade of any amount where notes were given they were to be paid in neat stock. For small articles at the store, butter, flax and tow cloth were received in exchange. For many years wool has been a great article of trade.


in the South part of the town, as near 1 as I can remember, have been : Ware Aldrich, Francis, Sawyer, Cobb, Huntington, Jones, Phillips, Burton, Pierce and J, E. Whipple, who is the present trader. (1868 )

Some years since, Thomas Evans had a store by the grist-mill, about a mile south from the Middle of the Town. In the West part of the Town, Ebenezer Stowell had a store.

The store-keepers, I reccollect in the North part of the Town were : Wilkins, Cheney, Fitch, Goodrich, and Barrett in the Middle, of the Town.

William Harris, and William Harris, Jun. are the present, [1868] firm of traders at the Middle of the Town.


was organized, Jan. 12, 1807. October 20th the same year, Thomas Baker was ordained their pastor and remained with them about 10 years. Their meeting-house, of brick, in the South part of the Town, was built in 1825.

This church has since Mr. Baker, been served by the following pastors

Rev Samuel Kingsbury. 1816:

Rev. Milo Frary, 1837 :

Rev. Manoah D. Miller, 1840 :

Rev. Charles H. Green, 1844:

Rev. William L. Picknall, 1855 :

Rev. Elliot P. Merrifield, 1859 :

Rev. George O. Atkinson, 1863 :

Rev. Mark Carpenter, 1868 :


Deacon David Bennet :

" Calvin Barrett:

" Isaac Fisher:

" Daniel Whitman :


The Methodists have never had a house of public worship in town; but have held their meetings in private dwellings and in school-houses. I can find no records of their church.


In a town-meeting holden, April 12, 1797, the town voted to lease out the ministerial land by a desirable lease "while wood grows and water runs." Also to raise four cents a pound on the polls and ratable estate, to hire preaching the ensuing year, to be assessed on the invoice of 1797.

"Voted that Dea. John Woodburn, Nehemiah Pierce and John Burnap be a committee to procure a candidate.

We find no church record from this time until 1805, when the Congregational church was organized. After its organization, before Mr. Lawton was settled, Mr. Field, a licentiate, who afterwards became a lawyer, preached in the Congregational house.

Mr. Gains Conant was another, and Rev. Phineas Randall, neither of whom was willing to settle over so small a congregation.


of Barnard was ordained over this church, Oct. 4, 1809, The ordination sermon was preached by the Rev. Mr. Preston of Rupert.

When the church was organized, Edward Aiken, John Burnap, Jonathan Brintnall, John Aiken, Anna Aiken, and Nabby Burnap were.the first members.

Candace Burnap was soon after admitted by letter from the church in Royalston, Mass. Under the preaching of Mr. Randall there were a number that obtained a hope and united with the church.

Mr. Randall was dismissed, November 1819. He remained with us ten years which entitled him to the parson-age.

[REV.] SELAH R. ARMS was ordained, January 1825; was dismissed in June 1834 ; returned in January 1836 ; dismissed, lastly, in 1849.

[REV.] NATHANIEL PINE commenced his ministerial labors here and occupied the year between the two ministrations of Rev. Mr. Arms.

[REV.] REUBEN HATCH commenced preaching in Windham in May 1849 ; ordained, January 850 ; dismissed, September 1851.

[REV] ROYAL PARKINSON began to preach in Windham, March 1852 ; remained the pastor 2 years.

[REV.] GEORGE S. KEMP was ordained, February 1856 ; dismissed, April 1860.

[REV.] STEPHEN HARRIS, ordained in October 1861, remained 8 years.


Deacon Edward Aiken :

" John Woodburn :

" John Burnap :

" James McCormick :

" Luther Stowell:

" Zacheus Bemis:

" Edward R. Aiken :

" John Woodbury :

" Harvey Burnap :

" Hart B. Abbot :

" Asa T. Gould:

" Charles Hastings.




In 1797, James Aiken was appointed justice of the peace; and the next year, John Aiken, town clerk and justice of the peace, which offices he held for 20 years.

James Aiken was appointed County Judge, 1808. The next year his brother, John succeeded him and held the office 5 years.

John and James Aiken were sons of Deacon Edward Aiken. the former married Miss Gregg of Londonderry, a very worthy woman and a fine singer. They lived at the Centre of the Town. The several families of Aikens, Woodburns, Macks and Persons with their descendants and others where there were only one or two in the family who could sing, made our social meetings much more interesting than they otherwise would have been.

John Aiken was our first representative and represented the town 8 years. He removed with his family more than twenty years since to Pennsylvania where he died.

James Aiken married a girl in Putney and moved to Boston; is now dead.


represented the town in 1814, and '15. He came from Guilford to Windham n 1800.


next represented the town the three following years: 1815, '16, '17 and was appointed justice of the peace. He came from Dublin, N. H. about the first of the century. Mr. E. again represented the town in 1826, '27.


represented the town the next 6 years, and was appointed justice of the peace. He settled in this town in 1782, from Westmoreland, N. H. His settlement was in the southeast part of the town. Abial Whitman came about the same time and settled near him. Mr. Pierce also represented the town three years after the next representative.


represented the town in 1828, '29, '30. He lived in the south part of the town. He was the son of Col. Dan'l Cobb, who came to this town from Westmorland, N. H. about 1790. He and his brother, David, settled on a rise of ground in the west part of the town which was familiarly known as Cobb Hill. He had many poor men settled around him. He had a plenty and used to assist them. His wife, also, was benevolent and helped those who were needy.-The Colonel was noted for agility and muscular strength.


from Chelmsford, Mass. had a largo and respectable family. He located N. E. from the Middle of the Town. The most of his children died in early life with consumption. He represented the town two years and died soon afterwards.


lived in the west part of the town, the son of Thomas Burnap who moved from Brookfield, Mass. the first of the century, and lived near his brother, John, about 2 miles south of the Centre. He represented the town one year and aferwards removed to Townshend.


represented the town two or three years. He lived in the East part of the town.

His father, Capt M. Kimball, originated from Massachusetts and was an early settler. The family are celebrated for their musical talent. The representative who was known as Colonel Kimball, was several years chorister in the choir. Several years since, he moved to Westminster where he and his wife both died.


who represented the town 5 years. He was a kinsman of Richard Kelley, who moved from Dummerston to the Centre in 1801. In 1805, he was chose a justice of the peace and held the office 29 years, until he became blind. In 1818, he was chosen town clerk and served till 1929. He was a natural poet and used to amuse himself after he was blind by writing acrostics and rhymes. He wrote the history of his life in verse after he was blind. He died in February 1849.


brother of Daniel Cobb. was representative one year.


brother of Benjamin Pierce, was representative two years.

Of those that have represented the town since 1830, I have no record, I remember them all, but may not get them probably in close order.


who lives in the south part of Wind-ham represented the town 2 years. His father came from Guilford, here, in 1800.


represented the town 2 years. His father, Capt. James Stearns, lived in the East part of the town ; came from War-wick, Mass. and was one of the first selectmen.


Rev. Stephen Harris, the Congregational minister represented the town two years.


in 1868, represented the town, one year. He is the son of Jonathan Up-ham who lives in the West part of the town. His father was one of the first settlers.


born in Brattleboro, Nov. 8, 1797 ; moved to Windham in 1823 ; and was town clerk and treasurer 23 years; jus-tice of the peace 40 years ; assistant-judge of the County court 5 years, rep-resented the town 6 years ; was member of the State senate two years and is now, [1868, ] president of the West River National Bank.


son of Judge William Harris, has rep-resented the town 5 years, and been State senator 4 years ; and for nearly 20 years, has been first selectman, and overseer of the poor.


who lives a little south of the Centre, was representative 2 years.


JOHN AIKEN was the first postmaster in town, and the second was

DAVID WOODBURN, son of John Woodburn, the first settler in town. David Woodburn removed to Underhill in the north part of the State, and died there.

LEMUEL ABBOTT, the third postmaster, was the son of Lemuel Abbott, Son. one of the first settlers, and came from Lyndsboro, N. H. in 1796.

WILLIAM HARRIS, succeeded Mr. Abbott as postmaster at Windham, and

NORMAN W. WOOD, succeeded Postmaster Harris in the postoffice.

HENRY JONES, son of Jason D Jones, was our next postmaster and next to the last,

GEORGE STAFFORD, who is the present postmaster at the Centre of the town.

David Woodburn and Lemuel Abbott lived so far from the Centre of the town they were obliged to have an assistant. Joseph Wood was their assistant several years. Afterwards, Zenas H. Upham was assistant postmaster.

In 1852, N. W. Wood was appointed and kept the office with the exception of a few months, until he moved to Chester in 1862. Dr. Dutton accepted the office for a few months, and after his death it was returned to N. W. Wood.

George Davis is the postmaster in North Windham, and Asa Smith In South Windham, at the present time.


not before mentioned are Samuel Goddard, who came from Orange, Massachusetts in the early part of the present century.

John Woodburn, son of John Woodburn, Sen.

James White who came from Marlboro, N. H. and his son, Elijah White.

Ezra Pierce, son of Nehemiah, who mine from Westmorland, N. H. in 1792.: George Dutton, Zenas H. Upham :

Timothy Burton who was a justice of the peace more than forty years ago and retained the office until his death: Joseph Wood who came from Wood-stock in 1825, was justice more than 20 years, until he left town.


Dr. Eli Tyler, Dr. Britton, Dr. Boyden, Dr. Gates, Dr. Silas Clark, Dr. Barber Dr. Randall Clark, Dr. .John .Austin, botanical doctor ; Dr. Asa Bigelow, Dr. William A. Chapin, Dr. Hannibal Jacobs, Dr. William H. Dutton, and Dr. George Spafford, present physician, 1868.


was born in Weathersfield. He studied in Albany, N. Y. commenced practice in Windham in 1860 ; received a commission as surgeon of the 16th Reg. Vt. Vols. in the fall of 1862; discharged at Brattleboro in the fall of 1863.


son of Timothy Burton and grandson of Benjamin Pierce, is now a practicing physician in New York, Iowa.


son of Reuben, an early settler in the North part of the town, is now, (1868) a practicing physician in Pavillion, N. Y.

LAWYERS. We have never had a resident lawyer in town.

Clark H. Chapman, a native of this town- [See paper after this record of Windham, from Mr. Chapman.

Eliza Chapman, his sister, a native of Windham, is the wife of Frederick C. Robbins, Atty. at law, Ludlow.


of Missouri, a son of Amos Emory, and Jerome Pierce, educated at Antioch, Ohio is attorney at law in Spring-field, this State.


educated at Oberlin, O. son of Aaron Bemis of this town ; his location is not known.


Of those who have received a collegiate education, Samuel C. Aiken son of Nathaniel and grandson of the first settler, Edward. His mother was Betsy Clark of Londonderry, N. H.

She had one brother and three sisters in Boston with whom she spent most of her time. Her son furnished me with the following Revolutionary annecdote:

When the British took possession of the town of Boston none of the inhabitants were allowed to leave the town. By some means, however, his mother escaped and went directly to the American army, stationed in Cambridge, under General Washington. The Gen-oral inquired of her about the state of things in Boston, , and then asked her where she was going. She told him to Londonderry. He told her she was young and it was dangerous for her to go alone and unprotected and he gave her an escort. He said. he mentioned this to show Washington was not only a great general, but a real gentlemen, and would condescend to provide for an unprotected woman in the midst of urgent business.


graduated at Middlebury College in 1814 and immediately went to Andover Theological Seminary for 3 years. He was settled in Utica, N. Y. and remained about 20 years, and then went to Cleavland, Ohio, where he has now lived 30 years; but his health has failed so that he has not preached for several years. He is considered an eminently pious man. His personal appearance is august and venerable, and disposition mild and aimable. In the prime of life, he had a brilliant imagination, and a well-cultivated mind. His voice was musical and his gestures were impressive. His younger brother,


graduaetd the next year after him, at Middlebury. I can not better describe him than by an obituary notice of his death :

"Died at Tallehasse, Florida, Bro. Edward Aiken, aged 35. At the age of 19, he graduated * * * * while at college he made a profession of religion. After residing a few years in Virginia and the State of New York, and suitable preparation, he entered upon the practice of his profession in Utica, N. Y. * * A pulmonary attack compelled him to resort to a milder climate. He visited the Island of Cuba and after some months there, returned to his native land with health much improved, but fearing to encounter the vigor of a Northern winter, he removed to Tallehasse, Fl. where he married and a year after died in the sweet consolations of the gospel.

Possessed of a disposition uncommonly even and aimable; and from a child, he seldom failed to secure the confidence and love of all who knew him. He was a little reserved, at the same time affectionate and affable. As a physician he was kind, attentive, judcious; as a Christian, he was exemplary and uniform.


of Putney; but had been a resident of Windham several years before he entered college. While at Middlebury, where he graduated in 1816, he made a profession of religion and prepared for the ministry. After he was licensed to preach, he left this region, and nothing more is known of him.


graduated at Middlebury in 1821. His father, Peter Aiken, lived with his pa-rents until their death. In 1796, he married Betsy Goodhue only daughter of Rev. Josiah Goodhue of Putney: as a mother and a Christian, she had few equals. and still less superiors. She had 6 children, all believing in Christ.

Her oldest daughter married Silas Barrett. She had 5 children; two are now living in Louisiana. Her son,


in 1840, married Emily L. Robins of Jamaica: children, Edward, Henry, Ellen K. They reside in Saratoga, N. Y. Her son,


married Caroline Bliss. He owned the old Aiken farm and occupied it till his death, and left it after his wife's death to be equally divided to the A. B. C. F. M. and the Home Missionary Society.

Her daughter,


joined the Choctaw Mission in 1853, and spent the rest of her life there. She gave the most of her property to that mission, and her remains rest in Choctaw soil.

Her daughter, Mary Ann, married William Arms and has lived in various places in Wisconsin and Illinois. She has had 4 children. Josiah, the youngest, married Emma Parker of Putney They had 6 children. After living some time in Putney, Mr. Arms re-moved to Wisconsin where he died.-I am indebted to H. L. Aiken for the history of the Aiken family, and many facts relating to the first settlement of the town.

Mary Gibson and Margaret Aiken, daughters of Nathaniel, died in 1853. They were members of the Congregational church many years, of whom it may be said "Blessed are the dead that die in the Lord."

Calvin Aiken died in 1841.

Jesse Aiken died in 1860.

Jesse had one daughter married to Darius Williams of Chester.

David Aiken, the only survivor in this family, has one son, William L. who lives in Grafton, and 4 daughters, Mrs. Hines, Mrs. Heald, Mrs. Sawyer, Mrs. Edson,- very interesting women; the worthy descendants of the pioneer George. A younger brother,


died in Blakely, Ga. in 1853, where he had practiced medicine awhile, though when he left home it was more for his health than any other object.



They are coming, they are coming, the sweet autumn days,

And around me October's pure. mellow light plays,

And I feel as I walk in these still twilight hours,

How they sleep in their graves, summer's gentle, young flowers.

The birch tree is donning its modest tint veil,

And the elm tree stands stately with aspect so pale,

And the white maple glimmers the wood-thicket through.

In its deep dyes of crimson and rich purple hue.

The dry husk is shrunk on the bright, yellow corn,

And the bee winds but faintly her soft mellow horn;

And I know by the haze light that over me plays,

They are coining, they are coming, pale autumn days.



In 1788 or 9, John and Uriah Burnap, natives of Sutton, Mass. purchased a farm in the corner of Jamaica that joins Windham, and built a log-house upon it. In 1790, John married Can_ dace Bliss of Royalston, Mass and in 1792, moved upon a farm which is now about two miles south of the Centre of Windham, and was the first one buried in the burying-ground near the Centre of the town. Of 12 children of John Burnap, eight lived to mature years.


John, the oldest son of John Bur-nap, graduated at Middlebury College in 1819, studied theology at Andover 3 years, was licenced to preach; took an agency to collect funds for the Foreign

Missionary Society; visited a portion of the Southern States and so overtaxed his mental and physical powers that it brought on fever and derangement from which he never fully recovered


second son of John Burnap, Sr. graduated at Middlebury in 1821 ; studied theology with Rev. Joshua Bates President of Middlebury College; was ordained pastor over the Congregational church in Chester in 1824, and contined there until 1837 ; was pastor of the

Appleton church in Lowell, Mass. from 1837 to 1852. He died in Lowell in 1854, aged 56.

He was very much devoted to his work and attached to his people. I have heard him say he would rather write two sermons than on( and make an ex-change with another minister. He was naturally a poet, but seldom wrote more than to sum up the contents of a sermon in rhyme.

He was born, July 11, 1798; married Mary Towne of Charlotte in 1824 ; after her death, Arvilla Gould of Chester in 1832.

He had a daughter and a son by his first wife, who live in Massachusetts.

He had two sons by his last wife, who live in Brooklyn, N. Y.



In human life there is a time

When little things become sublime;

When what is least in estimation

Sustains an infinite relation.

A moment has the weight of years,

A wish, the soul forever bears.

A word in consequence outweighs

The language of ten thousand days.

As when the virgins were too late,

A moment lost, decreed their fate;

As when the Saviour does pass by,

A moment lost, the soul must die.

A wish to know the path to Heaven,

A wish to have a sin forgiven,

May raise a soul from death and woe

And let salvation richly flow.

A word of prayer, a warning voice,

A word expressive of a choice,

May fix the current of the soul

While everlasting ages roll.

Have moments thus the weight of years?

Are words so full of hopes and fears?

Do wishes thus my doom control?

Then let me guard my precious soul.

Asa Burnap, Deacon Burnap 's 3d son, was about 16 years old when his father died and he remained on the farm about 7 years.

After Mr. Lawton had sold the parsonage to Mr. Harris, Asa became very anxious to have the Society purchase another as soon as a suitable place was to be sold, and when Judge Aiken sold his farm, he bought it for that purpose. He gave $700 for it and let the Society have it for a parsonage, for $300.

In 1816, the first Sabbath School was established by Lucy Burnap, his sister, of which he was by the church and Society chosen the superintendent.

In 1833, he married Ellen Carter of Newfane and settled there. After her death, he married Mary Hazen, 1845, and now resides in Somerset.


the youngest son, went to New York City and became a merchant. The firm was Eliot, Burnap & Babcock. He re-tired from business in early life, and now lives in Poughkeepsie, N. Y.

Sophia, the second daughter of John Burnap, married David Elliot, son of Amos Emory and moved to New York where she remained 13 years and then removed to Wisconsin.

Achsa, 3d daughter of John, married James Stearns and remained in town.

Anna H., the youngest, married Nathan, son of Benjamin Pierce, and resides in Townshend.


EMMA WOOD, daughter of Joseph Wood, and grand-daughter of John Burnap was at the age of sixteen, engaged as a teacher of the French language in Yorkers, N. Y She was afterwards a preceptress in the Academy at Chester. In 184d, she went to Friendship, Md. and spent one year. In 1847, she engaged as a teacher in the Patapsco Institute in Maryland. She remained there until she married. She married David P. Smith in 1850, and went to Florida where she died in 1853.

The Principal of Patapsco Institute wrote her obituary, from which I will give an extract:

"Died of yellow fever, Oct, 18th Mrs. Emma Wood, wife of David P. Smith, aged 31 years. A bright, lovely and loving spirit has gone from us. We shall see her no more, but we trust her pleasant smile may greet us on our entrance to the world of spirits. Mrs. Smith was for some years an esteemed teacher in the Patapsco Institute, where her literary attainments gave her a distinguished position. Apparently unconscious of the gifts of genius with which she was endowed, she seemed to set a light value on the brilliant effusons of her pen which cost her little labor. She toiled most faithfully as a teacher of mathamatics or of the dry rules of rhetoric or logic. When we see mediocrity seeking to inflate itself beyond its natural dimensions, we do not feel surprised for this is common, but we do wonder to see a rich mind unconscious of its wealth.

In offering this tribute to the memory of an associate dearly loved and highly esteemed, we must express our hope that the many productions in prose and verse from the pen of Mrs. Smith which have adorned,, for years the pages of various periodicals in different parts of our country, may be collected and published in a volume."

Catharine, her sister, younger, entered the Patapsco Institute the year after Emma. Both reviewed their studies and both took diplomas. Catharine remained there as a teacher about 14 years, until the war of the Rebellion broke up the school when she returned to Vermont. About six years since [1862] she married Charles Hawkins, architect, and now resides in Chester.

[Mrs. Hawking died at her home in Chester, May 5, 1888.



The soft breeze is on my brow,

I know 'tis the morning's breath,

But, alas! though its whispers are sweet,

'Tis the lonely wind of death.

I must lay down the aims of life,

And the dreams of my glorious youth,

For the pictures of joy and hope grow dim,

And I newer can see their truth.

My life, 1 have poured it out

Like the wave of a crystal urn;

But the vase lies low on the sands of earth

And its contents can hover return;

I must bury my earthly loves

In the heart that will beat no more ;

They shall silent rest as a sacred trust

Till the conflict of life is o'er.

T'were a blessed thing to rest

From the trials and cares of earth,

For the weary soul to fold its wings

In the land of its radiant birth.

'Twere a glorious flight to soar

Through the pathless fields of air,

To reach the realms of light,

And revel in beauty there.

And yet it were hard to die

With the labor of life undone,

With the fields of science before my view

And its laurels well nigh won.

I have grasped at the godlike power

That is won by the scholar's might;

But of what avail is the garnerd store,

I must die with the goal in sight.

I must bid farewell to earth

Whilst the blossoms are bright and fair,

And the sweet perfumes of the orange groves

Is borne on the sighing air.

And yet I would rather far,

To the house of my childhood move

To perish when gorgeous autumn leaves

Are falling in every grove.

And hear as my requiem low,

The voice of the murmuring wind

Like the plaintive song of the dying flowers

To the blossoms they leave behind.

There's a gentle stranger's hand

And and it rests on my burning bead;

Tíwill soothe the anguish of heart and brow

Till the spirit's night has fled.

Yet I would that my sister's voice

Might ring on the silent air ;

I see the form of my early love

And the curls of her clustering hair.

I would that they still were nigh!

If I felt but their balmy breath,

And the gentle touch of my mother's hand,

I could welcome the stroke of death.

Yet afar in this distant land,

I dream that they still are nigh,

I hear the gush of each kindly voice

And look on each loving eye.

They are present with me in dreams

And brighter as life grows dim,

The cherished friends of my early years,

And the loves of my boyhood seem.

As I yield my parting breath,

My name from the world has gone,

For there dwells no record of fame.

To tell of the spirit flown

I have done no lofty deed

To twine for my brow a wreath,

Nor carved a name in the realms of mind

To defy the march of death.

But my memory shall ever dwell

In the love of a faithful heart,

And if treasured up in that holy shrine

It will never through life depart.

Once more farewell to earth,

I can lay its glories down;

I will grasp no longer its fading gems,

But look up to my heavenly crown.

I will rest on His boundless love

Who has crowned my life with bliss,

Who calls me away to a brighter world

From the toils and sins of this.

: ^ :_ :^ :_ : ^:



a graduate of Oberlin, Ohio, was the son of Gardner Upham, an early settler from Guilford, and his mother was the daughter of Amos Emory. His theological course was pursued at Bangor, Me. and he preached in that vicinity until sickness prevented. He died July 17, 1856.


son of Nathan Hastings, who emigrating from Orange or Warwick, Mass. settled in the west part of the town, about the first of the century : Henry graduated at Amherst in 1858. His theological course was at Union Seminary. He graduated in 1861 was ordained Evangelist at St. Stephens, in New Brunswick, June 11, 1862. He preached iii his native town, in Pennsylvania and East Machias, Me. where his health failed, and he left for his home in Windham, and died on the way, at his sister's in Townshend, in 1863, at the age of 30,


now [1868] a settled minister at Winthrop Station, graduated at Oberlin, O. His grandfather emigrated from Chelsea, Mass. to Windham late in the last century. His father formerly lived in Windham.


who have had a residence here and were natives of the place were Justin and Lorenzo Barrows and Elijah Gale.

Ebenezer, Asa and Jacob Gale with their families came from Chesterfield, N. H. in 1800 and settled in the west part of the town. I believe Elijah Gale the minister, was the son of Ebenezer.

UNIVERSALIST MINISTER, a native of the town, Rev. Samuel Willis, late of Charlestown, S. C.


MARIA ARMS, daughter of Rev. Selah Arms, a native of Windham, went on a mission to the Choctaw nation in 1852, and her health failing, returned in 1855 and resides with her brother in Springfield.

IDA CHAPIN, daughter of Dr. Wm. A. Chapin who now lives in Belchertown, Mass. is a native of this town. She married Rev. Mr. Hazen and went on a mission to India.


MARTIN STEVENS and his family in the south part of the town from War-wick, Mass. possessed great. Musical talent His eons, Martin, Asa Abraham, moved to the west part of New York and Pennsylvania. Three of his daghters: Mrs. Jones, Mrs. Cole and Mrs. Aiken moved there, also. Mrs. Melendy, the oldest, lived in Londonderry. Her oldest daughter as before said, is the wife of Judge Harris. Lucy Stevens was the wife of Daniel Cobb and settled in this town.

Harriet, his youngest daughter, is the wife of Judge Stoddard of Townshend.

The family of Mr. Cobb were very good singers. Hannah Cobb married Aurelis Howard and lives in Townshend.

Ada Cobb was preceptress of Chester Academy several terms [and also at the old Black River Seminary at Ludlow.*] She married Gen. Frank Davis of Cavendish.

Angeline Cobb married the late Mr. Dean, attorney at law in Grafton.

Mary Cobb is the wife of the Hon William Harris of this town.

*Our first preceptress, a lovely preceptress, we leave farther remark till we may reach the old Black River Seminary.

And there are many other families who deserve to be noticed for having been so useful and interesting in our social meetings on the Sabbath, and on other occasions, among whom : The daughters of Ira Farr, Mason Pierce, Barnabas Giles family, and the Harris family. I have mentioned as fine singers the Persons, Woodburns, Aikens [and Kimbals) And near the close of the last century, a Wilkins family, also, who were good singers, moved into town. Lucy one of the daughters married Samuel Woodburn and remained in town until her death. Mr. Woodburn was the son of John W. the pioneer, and a kinsman of Horace Greely, Editor of the New York Tribune. There has been a


in town for several years called "The Windham Brass Band which has had good repute in the County and State.

The first funeral in town with Masonic honors was James Mack's who died in December in 1860. The next in 1864, that of Horace Jones, son of Jason D. Jones.

Antimasonry had its day ill town but it was a short one. As long as so many religious and honorable men sustain the institution, let charity remain.

Mr. David Aiken and Mrs. Tenney, widow of Luther Tenney are the oldest inhabitants in the town.

Mrs. Tenney's family and Mr. John Gould's are united in marriage, and they with their descendants are many, or all of them singers.

When the Great Architect with power and might

Made sun and moon to rule the day and night

And from his hand the massive planets flung

To roll in circles round the glorious sun,

Twas then the morning stars with heavenly lays,

Commenced in song their great Creator's praise.

With voice and song, we therefore celebrate

All great events in either church or state.

And thus express in kind and first degree,

All that is noble, eloquent and free.

When Moses fled from Pharaoh's sanguine host,

With liquid walls, dry stood the sea they crossed,

when sate on shore their anthems loud and long.

With harps and timbrels chant the grateful song

The beauteous temple made by Solomon

When consecrated to the Holy One,

With instruments of every kind they raise

Their voice in songs of universal praise.

Pleased with their worship, God in answer sends

A glorious cloud which through the house extends.

* * * * * * * *

O'er Bethlehemís plains when Jesus Christ was born

Angels proclaimed the news in most angelic song.-

At the last Supper Jesus sung a hymn :

He's our example, let us follow Him.



I have endeavored to find the names of all those in this town who have been honorary members of the different benevolent societies of the present day:

Enoch Goddard and wife who came from Orange and Royalston, Mass. in 1806,, were life members of the Foreign Missionary Society, and their daughter Lamira, wife of George Dutton is also, a member of the same socety. And Mr. Goddard's sons, Bliss and Timothy, were members of the Home Missionary Society.

Asa Burnap and G. C. Burnap were constituted honorary members of the American Board by their mother before her death, Dec. 1856.

Daniel Cobb and wife were members of the American Union.

Simeon Barrett and wife were members of the Home Missionary Society.

Hon. William Harris. Sr. is a life member of the Vermont Bible Society.

Lucy Burnap, now, Mrs. Joseph Wood, is a life member of the Vermont Bible Society.

Stephen Dutton who has died since I commenced this history, was another of our aged men. He was the father of Doctor Dutton, named among physicians, came from Dummerston, 1803,

EMORY JONES, son of J. D. Jones, has just entered college at Dartmouth. His mother, who is a daughter of Amos Emory Esq. has kindly furnished me with the manuscript of James Upham, her nephew, who wrote a partial history of the town in 1853, and read it be-fore a literary society, to which, I am indebted for many events.


I know of only two instances in this town of remarkable longevity.

The widow _____ Bennet lived to be over a hundred years old.

Her daughter, the widow of Reuben Stowell, says that when she was over eighty, she rode on horseback to Brattleboro, 30 miles.

The widow of Abraham Farr lived to be over a hundred years old.


The following early settlers were Revolutionary soldiers:

Jonathan Britnall,

Samuel Ayers,

John Burnap,

Stephen Fitch,

John Gould,

Archibald Mack,

John Mack,

Archibald McCormick.

Daniel Putnam,

Nehemiah Pierce,

Benjamin Pierce,

James Smith.

Smith was a deserter from Burgoyn's army. He was an artificer in the American army.

[We omit a list of the names of the soldiers of the last war here, as this list is without detail, and we have a list furnished with detail.]

MRS. LUCY BURNAP WOOD, the kindly and faithful historian of her native town, died at the home of her son in West Townshend, Mar. 23, 1888, aged 97 years.- The sheaf fully ripe.

Lucy Burnap was married to Joseph Wood, August 12, 1820. Mr. Wood died at South Reading, Dec. 1, 1873.

They had two daughters, Emma and Catherine [pp. 16 and 17] and one son, Norman Williams Wood.

Mrs. Wood had five grandchildren, at the time of her death; two sons of Mrs. Hawkins and two sons and a daughter of Norman Williams Wood.

In her long life this strong and good woman was a noble example of Christian faith and hope. She taught in the Sunday School until her hearing was dull by reason of age, and her eyes dim. She enjoyed reading till within two months of her death; and kept up with the events of the day remarkably, noting the advance in almost every thing with pleasure. She realized that she had lived a good long life.

At her funeral, Rev. Mr. Mackie, then preaching here, read the XLVI PS. and made remarks : Psalm, all the people invited to praise God- for so long and precious a life.*

*For the information in this memorial note and for reading the proof of this history, we are indebted to the daughter-in-law of our historian, Mrs. Norman W. Wood, who has known the town for 57 years.

Military Record


Windham During The Rebellion



Abbott, Marcus, age 18, Co. K 11th Vt. musician; enlisted July 30, 1862 ; died at Fort Soften near Washington, March 27, '63.

Abbott, John J. age 18, musician, Co. I 16th Vt. enlisted, August 28, 462; died in hospital at Brattleboro, August 3, '63.

Barrett, Cortez P. age 21, Serg't in Co. C, 4th Vt. enlisted, August 22, '61, discharged, May '63

Boutin, Chas. W. age 22 ; enlisted in Co. K 4th Vt. commissioned First Lt. of the same, Sept. 14, '61; promoted Capt. of Co. D 4th Vt. Dec. 14, '62; promoted Major, June 4th '65; mustered out of service as Capt. July 13, '65.

Bemis, William W. age 20; Sergt. Co. D 16th Vt. enlisted, Aug. 29, '62: promoted 2d Lieut. Co. D, April 2d '63 ; mustered out of service, August 10, '63.

Cook, Lafayette, age 33, enlisted in Co. D 16th Vt. August 29, '62 ; mustered out, August 10, '63.

Cook, Martin J. age 18; enlisted in Co. D 16th Vt. August 29, '62; killer at Gettysburg, July 3d,'63.

Covey, Andes B. age 18; enlisted, June 3, '62, in Co. K 9th Vt. muster ed out of service, May 13, '65.

Cooper, Charles A. age 18 ; enlisted in Co. H 2d Reg. U. S. Sharp Shooters, Dec. 24, '63; transferred to Co. H 4th Reg. Vt. Vols. Sept. 25, '65, diet at Brattleboro in hospital.

Cronin, William L. age 34 ; enlisted in Co. G 11th Vt. August 5, '62, mustered out of service, June 26, '65.

Dwinell, Benjamin F. age 21; musician in Co. E 6th Vt. enlisted Sept. 29, '61; re-enlisted, Dec. 15, '63; transferred to Co. K, Oct. 16, '64, mustered out of service, June 26, `65.

Evans, Albert O. age 18 ; enlisted in Co. H 8th Vt. Dec. 18, '61 ; re-enlisted, January 5, '64; died, Nov. 9, '64, at Brashier City, La.

Fairbanks, Artemas P. age 44 ; enlisted in Co. D 16th Vt. August 29, '62 ; mustered out of service, August 10, '63.

Graham, Benjamin F. age 37; enlisted in Co. I 11th Vt. August 9, '64 ; died Feb. 11, '65.

Grinnols, Charles P. age 21; enlisted in Co. I 11th Vt. August 22, '61 ; deserted, February, 19, '63.

Goold, James E. age 26 : enlisted in Co. K. 11th Vt. August 13, '62; discharged, March 11, '63.

Gould, Charles G. age 18; Private, Co. G. 11th Vt. Vols; enlisted, August 13, '62 ; Corp. Dec. 27, 63; Sergeant Major, Feb. 12, 1864; 2d Lieut, Co. E 11th Vt. Vols. June 30, 64; promoted Capt. Co. H. 5th Vt. Vols. Nov. 10, '64; wounded, April 2, '65; Brevet Major, April 2. '65 for the assault on Petersburg, April 2, '65 ; mustered out of service, June 19, '65.

Harrington, George R. age 18; enlisted Feb. 5, '62 in Co. H 8th Vt. Reenlisted, March 5, '64 ; pro. wagoner, April 12, '64, mustered out, June 28, '65.

Harrington, John R. age 19; enlistted in Co. D 9th Vt. June 23,'62; discharged, Oct. 2, '62.

Harrington, Randall, age 44 ; enlised, February 4, '62 in First Battery,

Light Artillery ; discharged, May 19, '64.

Harrington, George L. age 19, enlisted, Nov. 20, '63 in Co. G 11th Vt. transferred to Co. A 11th Vt. June 24, '65 ; mustered out Aug. 25, '65.

Harris, Romanzo A. age 19 ; enlisted in Co. H 8th Vt. January 13, '62; re-enlisted, March 5, '64 ; mustered out, June 28, '65.

Howe, Densmore, age 20; enlisted in Co. D 16th Vt. August 29 '62; mustered out, August 10, '63.

Jones, Jason C. age 17 ; enlisted in Co. G 11th Vt. Aug. 5, '02 ; mustered out June 24, '65.

Kendall, Amos G, age 20 ; enlisted, August 22, in Co. L. 11th Vt. mustered out, June 24, '65.

Mack, Archibald H. age 30, Corp. Co. G, 11th Vt. Enlisted, August 29, '62; mustered out, June 24, '65.

Mack, Daniel, age 18 ; enlisted, Dec. 16, '61, in Co. H 8th Vt. Re-enlisted, March 5, '64 ; mustered out, June 28, '65.

Mack, Joel D, age 18; enlisted in Co. G, age 18; enlisted in Co. G 11th Vt. August 11 '62; sick in Gen. Hospital and discharged, March 21, '63.

Mack, Ephraim L, age 19 ; enlisted in Co. D 16th Vt. August 29, '62, mustered out August 10 '63.

Marshall, Henry C. age 19 ; enlisted in Co. F 9th Vt. Dec. 16, '63 ; transferred to Co. B, June 13, '65; mustered out July 7, '65.

Martin, Adolphus R. age 19, enlisted in Co. G. 11th Vt. Nov. 20, '63 ; transferred to Co. A. June 24, '65 ; mustered out, Aug. 25, '65.

Penniman, Thomas, age 30, enlisted in Co. G 11th Vt. July 28, '62 ; mustered out; June 24, 65.

Penniman, Robert L. age 34; enlisted in Co. D 16th Vt. Dec. 20, '62 mustered out, August 10, '63.

Perry, Amasa R. age 21 ; enlisted in Co. G 11 Vt. July 30, '62; mustered out June 24, '65.

Rhoades, Randall, age 18 ; enlisted in Co. C 4th Vt. August 23, '61 ; discharged, April 29, '62.

Rhoades, Aaron A. age 44 ; enlisted in Co. G 11th Vt. Nov. 10, '63; transferred to Co. A 11th Vt. June 2-4, '65; mustered out, June 25, '65.

Rhoades, Henry C. age 18 ; enlisted in Co. G 11th Vt. Dec. 5, '63 ; transferred to Co. A 11th Vt. June 24, '65; transferred to Co. C 11th Vt. ; mustered out, August 25, '65.

Sumner N. Rhoades, age 27, Corp, in Co. I 16th Vt. enlisted, Sept. 20, mustered out, Aug. 10, '63.

Salter, Alonzo L. age 24; enlisted in Co. K 4th Vt. August 29, '61 ; discharged, May 23, '62 ; re-enlisted in Co. F 9th Vt. Dec. 19, '63 ; transfer-red to Co. B, June 13, '65.

Smith, Otis, age 21 ; enlisted in Co. C 4th Vt. Aug. 22, '61 ; transferred to Sigal Corps, Aug. 1, '63 ; mustered out August 22, '64.

Smith, William H. age 19, Co. H 2d Sharp Shooters, enlisted, Dec. 24, sick in Gen. Hos. Aug. 31, '64; transferred to Co. H. 4th Vt. Vols. Feb. 25,'65; discharged, June 18, '65.

Smith, Waldo J. age 20 enlisted in Co. K 9th Vt. Sept. 3, '64; mustered out, June 13, '65.

Stoodley, George W. age 23; enlisted in Co. G 11th Vt. July 30,'62 ; sick in Gen. Hos. Aug. 31,'64; mustered out, June, 24, '65.

Tromley, Albert J. age 18; enlisted, December 18, 1861, in Company H, 8th Vermont, and died, January 17, 1863.

Tenney, William B. age 37; enlisted in Co. G, 11th Vt. Nov. 6, '63; sick in Gen. Hos. Aug. 31, '64 ; transferred to Co. A, June 24 '65; mustered out, Aug. 25, '65.

Tenney, Levi C. age 20; enlisted in Co, D 16th Vt. Aug. 29, '52; muster- I ed out Aug. 10, '63.

Upham, Bradford H. age 18; enlisted, Nov. 30, '61 in Co. II 8th Vt. mustered out, June 22, '64.

Wait, Curtis N. age 21, enlisted in Co. I 16th Vt. Sept. 28, '62; mustered out, Aug. 10, '63.

Whitcomb, Wilson A. Corp. in Co. D 16th Vt. enlisted Aug. 29, '62; mustered out, Aug. 10, '63.

White. George W. age 21 ; enlisted, July 20, '64 in Co. G 11th Vt. mustered out, May 13, '65.

Woodman, James H. age 23, black-smith, Co F First Vt. Cavalry ; enlisted, Oct. 14, '61; re-enlisted, Dec. 30, '63; transferred to Co D, June 21, '65; mustered out, Aug. 9, '65.


Windham furnished during the war, 52 men; six died while in the service and one was killed.

Five were furnished under draft, but all paid commutation, "Namely":

Augustus E. Dutton :

Cyrus Holman :

Marcius Lamphear:

Elmer H. Lawrence:

Ebenezer W. Stowell.

DIED since the war :

Cortez P. Barrett,

Artamas P. Fairbanks,

Joel D. Mack :

Thomas Penniman,

Geo. W. White:

Sumner N. Rhoades.



[-Biographical paper, furnished by Mr. Chapman, Oct. 6, 1884.]

My ancestors were from England, and settled in Say-Brook, Ct. and my grandfather was born in Hebron, that state in 1760. His father, Ezekiel, eon of David was born in 1734 and married Abigail Niles of Colchester, Mass, in 1735, by whom he had ten children. He moved to Vermont about 1775.

My grandfather Silas, the 4th child, settled in Athens, where my father, Jabes Chapman was born, October 179D, and died when my father was 3 years old at his wife's father's in Chesterfield, N. H. on his way back from a business trip to his native town. His wife was Sarah Dunham.

My mother, Amitta, the daughter of Ezekiel Perham was born in Athens, March 3,1801, and was married to my father at Athens and they moved, May 1, 1818, to Windham, to a farm 3/4 of a mile from the Centre of the town. Here my mother died, October 7, 1838.

The next year, my father married a sister of the late Judge Wm. Harris at Windham and resided there till 1858, when he removed to Ludlow where my step-mother died in 1871 and my father March 29, 1873.

I caused their remains to be carried to and buried at Windham, where all my immediate family now dead are at rest.

My grandfather Perham was a Revolutionary soldier and used to tell me what he saw of General Washington. My mother's mother was a Jewett from Pepperill, Mass. She died in 1817, and is buried in Athens. The Dunham genealogy, I understand goes hack to the Welch history.

I was born in Windham, Sept. 10, 1822, and had the usual advantages of a common school education there. In the fall of '36, I attended the Academy at Townshend. The next winter after my mother died, I, at 16 years of age, taught the district school adjoining my native district for $13 a month and the next winter the same school for $15 a month.

In the falls of 1838, 9, 40, I attended the Academy at Chester and taught in Athens the winters of '39, 40; in the fall of '41 attended the Black River Seminary at Ludlow; but having an opportunity to teach in Maryland instead of following up the academic course and entering college, I went to Calvert Co. about 30 miles below Annapolis and taught a neighborhood school for two years; returning to Vermont taught the Windham district school two winters, and in the fall of 1845, went into the office of the late Judge Dutton of Cavendish to complete my legal studies which I had begun under Judge Wilkins in Calvert Co. Maryland. In the meantime was preceptor of Black River Seminary the spring term of 1845 ; and kept while in Judge Dutton's office, the Probate Records for Windsor District; was admitted as attorney to the Windsor Bar in 184- ; went into business as a lawyer in 1859 with my brother-in- law, Hon. F. C. Robbins, at Ludlow, under the firm name of Robbins & Chapman.

In 1853, I was elected assistant Secretary of the State Senate; held the office 2 years and was elected Secretary to succeed the Hon. Joseph Barrett, who was at Washington Commissioner of pensions under appointment of President Lincoln, 8 years. Middlebury College gave me the degree of A. M in ___.

I was a member from Windsor Co. of the last Constitutional Convention; one of the 9 delegates and was assistant Secretary of the Convention.

Dec. 1, 1849 till May 1850 was Register of the Probate Court under Judge Dutton's appointment, and again from July 1856 to December 1862.

1856, I removed from Ludlow back to Cavendish and settled in Proctorsville as an attorney and resided there until 1882 when I removed with my family to Detroit, Michigan, where we now reside.

I married Ellen M. Sherwin, oldest daughter of the late Captain Charles Sherwin of Weathersfield, a farmer residing about 3/4ths of a mile below Perkinsville on Black River, July 7, 1878.

We have had four children: the oldest and youngest, girls, both died in infancy. The second and third, sons. are living at Detroit and industriously employed, having received a business education, rather than a literary course of training.

My oldest son, Charles Sherwin, Chapman, was born at Cavendish, Aug. 21, 1864.

My youngest son, Wm. Clark Chap-man, was born at Cavendish, March 1, 1866.

I have only one full sister, living Mrs. F. C. Robbins, and two half sisters, Emma L. and Mary V.

My mother, at seventeen, united with the Baptist Ch. at Saxtons River and remained a faithful member until her death. My father when the Methodists came into Vermont affiliated with them, though I do not know as he ever was a communicant. The Episcopalian worship most meets my preference.

[Hon. Clark H. Chapman died at his home in Detroit, Apr 1,]