XX indexVermont  





      NORWICH lies in the northeastern part of the county, in lat. 43° 45' and long. 4° 42', bounded north by Thetford, in Orange county, east by the Connecticut river, which separates it from Hanover, N. H., south by Hartford, and west by Sharon. It was chartered by New Hampshire, by the name of Norwhich, July 4, 1761, to Samuel SLAFTER, Jacob FENTON, Judah HATCH, Eleazer WALES and about fifty others, containing an area of 23,040 acres. The "h" was not retained in spelling the name.

      The surface of the town is uneven, yet nearly all of its territory admits of cultivation, producing all kinds of grains and grasses, and some excellent orchards. The soil is well watered, the principal water-course being the Connecticut river, which is here about thirty to forty rods in width. Ompompanoosuc river enters the township from Thetford, two miles west of the Connecticut river, and, after running three miles across the northeast corner, mingles its waters with those of the Connecticut. It is a rapid stream, with a gravelly bottom, about six rods in width, and affords a number of good mill-sites.

      Bloody brook rises in the northwestern part of the town, and, passing a little westerly of Norwich village, falls into the Connecticut just below Norwich depot. This stream also affords some good mill-seats. Its name, says an old tradition, is derived from a bloody battle fought here during the French war. This is undoubtedly erroneous, however, as the name was undoubtedly derived from a family by the name of BLOOD, residing near its banks. On each of these streams are fine tracts of intervale. Smalley's brook is a small stream which falls into the Connecticut between the Ompompanoosuc and Bloody brook. Mosher's brook rises en the southern part of the town and unites with the Connecticut en Hartford. The timber of the meadows was originally elm, bass, ash and butternut; on the plains and hills near the rivers, principally white pine, and further back maple, beech, birch, hemlock, etc. The largest body of water is Tilden pond, which lies about a quarter of a mile from the Connecticut, near road 32. It covers an area of about twelve acres. The Messrs. TILDEN, its owners, have lately stocked the pond with black bass.

      The principal rock entering into the geological structure of the town is of the calciferous mica schist formation. This underlies the whole of the western and central part of the territory. The eastern part of the town is made up of two parallel ranges of clay slate and talcose schist. In the northern part, east of Union Village, there is a small bed of steatite. Extensive beds of iron ore exist in the northwestern part of the township, and copper has been discovered en the eastern part. Cyanite, or sapphire, is also found in laminated masses connected with quartz and mica. Beautiful specimens of actynolete are found, and anthracite in small quantities. The Passumpsic railroad crosses the eastern part of the town, with stations at Norwich and Pompanoosuc.

      In 1880 Norwich had a population of 1,471, and in 1882 was divided into seventeen school districts and contained sixteen common schools, employing six male and twenty-one female teachers, to whom was paid an aggregate salary of $1,739.24. There were 326 pupils attending common school, while, the entire cost of the schools for the year, ending October 31st, was $1,412.08, with C. P. FLANDERS, superintendent.

      NORWICH is a post village located en the southeastern part of the town. It has two churches, two public schools, one store, a blacksmith shop, tannery, paint shop, carriage shop, and about twenty-five or thirty dwellings. The village is located on a broad street with two others branching there from all well shaded and lined with residences, many of which are a century old. The oldest of these is the one now occupied by Mrs. MESSENGER, built by Capt. Joseph HATCH in 1771. Just off Main street is the old Norwich Military Academy building, which was used for educational purposes for many years, until the Norwich University was removed to Northfield, a few years since.

      POMPANOOSUC (p. o.) is a hamlet and railroad station located in the northeastern part of the town, consisting of about half a dozen dwellings.

      BEAVER MEADOW is a hamlet located in the western part of the town.

      UNION VILLAGE is located in the northern part of the town, lying partly in Thetford. In Norwich it contains a Methodist church and blacksmith shop, in Thetford a general store, Post office, saw-mill, provender-mill, paint shop. etc., and altogether about twenty dwelling.

      Leslie S. PATTERSON's saw-mlll on road 13. is built on a water privilege deeded from Goshen BARTLETT to Hezekiah JOHNSON, in 1776. The original mill was washed away and the present one was built about fifty or sixty years ago. It was originally a saw and grist-mill and was rebuilt as such, but the grist-mill was taken out in 1869. In 1872 it was purchased by Mr. PATTERSON, who has since operated it. It contains a circular board saw, two spitting saws, band-saw, planer, and shingle machine, and a small provender-mill. It turns out eight to ten car loads of chair-stock, and about 800,000 feet of rough and dressed lumber annually.

      MESSENGER & HAZENís tannery, located at Norwich village, was built by Dea. Sylvester MORRIS about fifty years ago. After a few years he sold it to Asa BLANCHARD who operated it about fourteen years then sold out to E. WADSWORTH. Mr. WADSWORTH retained the property until 1868, then sold to the present proprietors, who tan about 8,000 sides of leather per year.

      W. L. BOOTH's saw-mill, located on road 49, is operated by water-power and cats 300,000 feet of lumber annually.

      J. B. RANDís grist-mill, located on road 69, is operated by both steam and water-power, has three runs of stones and grinds 30,000 bushels of merchant corn, and does 20.000 bushels of custom grinding per annum. There is also sold here about too tons of cotton seed meal per year.

      G. A. AMES Co.'s steam saw-mill, located on road 44, is operated by a 120 horse-power engine and is supplied with all kinds of modern lumber machinery. The firm employs twelve hands, and has facilities for turning out 4,000,000 feet of lumber per annum.

      A. W. KNAPP's provender-mill and carriage repair shop is located at Norwich village. Mr. KNAPP does a good business in both branches of his establishment. He has been located here about thirty years.

      In August, 1761, the month following the date of the charter, the town was organized in Connecticut, though the organization was doubtless but to fulfill one of the requirements of the charter, and was in reality nothing more than a proprietors' meeting. In 1762, the township was apportioned by lot, and although the neighborhood was for miles around covered with an untrodden wilderness, it did not deter the advance of civilization. In 1763, Jacob FENTON. Ebenezer SMITH and John SLAFTER came here from Mansfield. Conn., built a camp and began improvements. There were at this time two men in Hanover. N. H.., and a small settlement in Lebanon. In July, SMITH and SLAFTER left FENTON on Wednesday, for the purpose of hoeing corn in Lebanon, and returning on Saturday evening, when they found FENTON dead in the camp. It appeared afterwards that Mr. FREEMAN happened over here, and finding FENTON sick and alone, he tarried with him till he died, and then went to Lebanon for help to bury him. FREEMAN returned and FENTON was buried July 15, 1763, aged sixty-five years, and a monument was erected over him. In the summer of 1764, four men came into the town with their families, after which the settlement rapidly increased, so that in 1771, the town had a population of 206, and in 1791, it had 1,158 inhabitants.

      John SLAFTER and those mentioned commenced their clearing where Pompanoosuc village now is. SLAFTER, however, did not bring his family to the town until 1767. Nathan MESSENGER also commenced a clearing, near the depot, and Samuel HUTCHINSON located where the village now is, and both had their families here in 1764. The first town meeting was held in April, 1768, when Nathan MESSENGER was chosen moderator; Thomas MURDOCK, clerk; Lieut. PARTRIDGE, Capt. JOHNSON and N. MESSENGER, selectmen; Thomas MURDOCK and John SLAFTER, constables; Medad BENTON, tithingman; and Elisha PARTRIDGE, Mr. THATCHER, Thomas MURDOCK and Jacob BENTON, fence viewers. The first representatives were Peter OLCOTT and Thomas MURDOCK, in 1778. Both being chosen councilors in October, however, Joseph HATCH was sent to the general assembly. Elisha BURTON was the first justice of the peace, in 1786, and held the office twenty-eight years. The first settled minister was Rev. Lyman POTTER, in 1775. He received the ministerial lot allowed by charter, which was located on road 46. The first lawyer was Hon. Daniel BUCK. The first grist-mill was built on Bloody brook, near the present site of Dr. RAND's mill. The first saw-mill was built by Jacob and Elisha BURTON, opposite the present site of MESSENGER & HAZEN's tannery, in 1767. The first physician was Dr. Joseph LEWIS, in 1767. The first male child born was John, son of Daniel WATERMAN, July 2, 1768. The first birth was that of Lydia, daughter of John HUTCHINSON, in 1767.

      Among the early business men and those who prominently contributed towards the prosperity of the town in its earlier years, may be mentioned Hon. Peter OLCOTT, Hon. Thomas MURDOCK, Capt. Alden PARTRIDGE, Judge Ebenezer BROWN, Hon. Paul BRIGHAM, John HATCH, Esq., John WRIGHT, Hon. Daniel BUCK, Dr. Joseph LEWIS, Hon. D. A. A. BUCK and Judge Abel CURTIS.

      Nathan MESSENGER is said to have been the first settler to winter in the town, He located near the present site of Norwich Depot, and until within a few years has had several descendants residing in the town; but George MESSENGER is now the only one left. Erastus MESSENGER, grandson of Nathan, spent his youth in Orleans county, but at the age of twenty-one years he returned to Norwich, residing here until his death, at the age of seventy-two years.

      Samuel HUTCHINSON made his first pitch where the village now is, but exchanged shortly after for a place where his great-grandson, Henry HUTCHINSON, now resides, on road 44, and which has never since been owned outside the family. Little can be learned of Samuel, Sr., except that he occupied the old homestead until his death, in 1809. Samuel, Jr., inherited the farm and added to it until it contained 600 acres. He married Hannah BURR and reared fourteen children, five of whom, sons, attained an adult age. Of these, Levi became a physician, and after several years spent in Massachusetts settled in Illinois. Perley inherited a share of his father's farm, including the farm buildings. The barn, built in 1769, is still standing. Perley died in 1874, aged eighty-two years. His family numbered six, of whom four are now living, viz.: Dea. Henry, the eldest, on the homestead; John, in Rutland  Mrs. Elizabeth WATERMAN, in Iowa; and Lucy, in Florence, Ala. Timothy, the eighth child of Samuel, Jr., bought eighty acres of his father's farm, married Cynthia BURTON, and reared eight children, five of whom are now living. He died in 1880, aged eighty-seven years. William H. occupies the homestead, which his father built in 1829.

      Jerome HUTCHINSON, grandson of Samuel, Sr., and son of John, came here with his parents and grandparents when two years of age. Both Jerome and his father served in the Revolution, and the latter lost his life in the service. Jerome married Content SMITH, of Deerfield, Mass., and reared eight children, two of whom are living, one, William, in Norwich. The latter married Eliza CAREY and reared six sons, three of whom, John W., Charles H., and Frank, are now living, all prominent business men of Manchester, N. H.

      Daniel WATERMAN came to Norwich, from Norwich, Conn., in 1766, and located upon the farm now owned by his grandson, William WATERMAN. He brought with him a family of nine children, and on the 2d of July, 1768, was born the tenth child, John, the first male birth in town. John resided here all his life, dying at the age of eighty-eight years. He married Hannah HEDGES and reared seven children, of whom John, Jr., the eldest, and William, the youngest, settled in the neighborhood. John, Jr., died in 1871, at an advanced age, having reared nine children, two of whom now reside in town. William still occupies the old homestead. On this farm is a valuable vein of copper that doubtless would yield fair results if properly worked.

      Samuel PARTRIDGE, from Preston, Conn., at the age of nineteen years came to Norwich, in 1764, went back to Preston that winter and the following season returned to Norwich with his parents and his wife, whom he had married that winter. They located south of Beaver Meadow, where Samuel, Sr., purchased 1,000 acres of land. Samuel, Jr., reared six children, became a highly respected citizen, and died July 22, 1831, aged eighty-six years. His youngest son, Abel, always resided here, and died October 14, 1853, aged sixty-six years. Alden, the second son, was born here January 12, 1785. In August, 1802, he entered Dartmouth college, but gave up the course in 1805 to enter West Point, whence he graduated October 29, 1806. He became a teacher of engineering and held the office of captain up to about 1817. In 1820 he came to Norwich and established the American Literary, Scientific and Military Academy, which he conducted about four years, then removed to Middletown, Conn., where he established a school of a similar character. In 1828 he returned to Norwich, and in 1831 erected a second building near his former school, and soon after obtained a State charter for the Norwich University, which was opened to the public in 1835. He made it his home here until his death, in 1854, though he established many branches of his school in various parts of New England and the South. Capt. PARTRIDGE was at the head of the exploring survey to establish the boundary line between the United States and Canada, in 1819, represented Norwich in the State legislature of 1833-'34, '36, Ď37 and '39, where he was active in the interests of the State militia. During the war between Greece and Turkey, in 1824, he adopted a Greek lad, George M. COLVOCORRESSE, then nine years of age, whom he educated and obtained a position in the U. S. navy. The Greek was murdered at Bridgewater, Conn., in 1872. Henry V. PARTRIDGE, second son of Alden, was studying law in Warren county, Pa., at the time the late war broke out. He soon after gave it up, organized a company and served throughout the war. He was then in government employ at Washington for a time, and subsequently in business in New York until 1872, when he returned to Norwich and still resides here. Lewis S. PARTRIDGE, son of Abel, has been engaged in trade here about twelve years. He represented Norwich in the legislature of 1852-'53, during which time he was chosen Adjt-Gen. of the State, the only Democrat ever elected to that office; was postmaster during the administrations of Pierce and Buchanan, and under the administration of the latter was appointed U. S. marshal.

      Elisha BURTON, born November 7, 1743, was one of the first settlers where the village now is, and at an early date built the house now occupied by S. A. ARMSTRONG. He was a prominent man among his townsmen, whom he served for many years as a justice of the peace. He also built the first saw-mill in the town, opposite the present site of MESSENGER & HAZEN's tannery. His son Jacob ran the mill until his death, in 1843. The old landmark was carried off by a freshet in 1869. Elisha was thrice married and reared a family of eleven children, four of whom spent their lives here. Of this once numerous family only George, a grandson of Elisha, and Sarah J., daughter of Harvey BURTON, now reside in Norwich.

      Dr. Joseph LEWIS, born in November, 1746, came here in 1767, practiced his profession for many years, and died at the age of eighty-six years. In 1775 he was assistant surgeon and went out with Arnold in the expedition against Quebec, followed their fortunes through the wilderness and was in the engagement where Gen. Montgomery was slain. Dr. LEWIS had eight children, three of whom graduated from the Dartmouth medical school. Two of these, Lyman and Enos, located in Norwich, while the third, Josoph, Jr., located in Washington county. Lyman married Mary STILES, of Lunenburg, Mass., and was the father of five children, all of whom except Edward M. and Experience died young. Edward M. still resides here, and Experience (Mrs. J. D. HILTON) died here January 2, 1873, aged seventy-two years. Her son Joseph L., now resides in the northern part of the town.

      John HATCH, who settled here in 1769, made the original survey of the town, was proprietors' clerk before and after coming here, and served as a justice of the peace for many years. Mr. HATCH reared seven children, four of whom were sons. Asher graduated from Dartmouth college in 1779 and followed teaching all his life. The three other sons, Benjamin, Adrian and John, Jr., all settled in Norwich, but John, Jr., moved to Hardwick in 1809. Adrian resided on road 64, upon the farm now owned by Mrs. A. R. CRANDALL, and died here in 1838, aged eighty-one years. Amos, the second of Adrian's ten children, was born in 1785, married Parmelia NOBLE, reared eleven children, and died July 18, 1785, aged nearly ninety years. Only one of his children, Abel P., now resides here. Abel is a justice of the peace, having held the office ten years, and is engaged in the insurance business.

      Jonathan LORD, from Colchester, Conn., came to Norwich in 1769, and located on the Ompompanoosuc river. David, his third son, cleared the farm which now comprises a portion of G. W. BENTON's and F. A. and M. E. LORD's farms, and, in 1786, built the house Mr. BENTON now occupies. Jonathan, Jr., came here in 1776 and located near David, where he spent the remainder of his life.

      Henry, son of Stephen BURTON, was an early settler from Hebron, Conn. He came with his two brothers and located on road 5, in the neighborhood now known as "New Boston," and spent his life in clearing and improving the farm now occupied by William SARGENT. Henry married Annie HAZEN and reared seven children. Henry S., the second child, now at the age of ninety-one years, resides with his son, Henry C., on road 25. Ira B., son of Henry S., Caroline (GODDARD) and Susan BURTON also reside in the town.

      Capt. Calvin SEAVER, who obtained his title in the Revolution, made the first clearing on road 40. He married Mary HOVEY, daughter of Edmund HOVEY, who was one of the original proprietors of the town, and gave to his daughter and her husband sixty acres of land, which is now part of the farms owned by W. and W. O. BLOOD. Otis, the youngest of their seven children, always resided on the homestead and died February 21, 1874, aged seventy-three years.

      Joshua SPEAR, from Coventry, Conn., came to Norwich previous to the Revolution, in which he served as a continental scout, and located upon the farm now owned by E. SARGENT, on road 18. Ebenezer, the second of his seven children, married Phebe HUCHINS and had two sons and one daughter, Frank E., JAMES A. and Sarah A. (GOVE). He served in the war of 1812 and died here July 31, 1877, aged eighty-three years. Frank E. now has in his possession the sword worn by his grandfather in the Revolutionary war.

      Zelah PENNOCK located at an early date upon the farm now occupied by his grandson, Henry A. PENNOCK. He married Lydia HOWARD and reared nine children, only one of whom, Barzilla, settled in Norwich. His widow, Mary (JOHNSON) PENNOCK, is still living, aged eighty years.

      Caleb WEST, a Revolutionary soldier, came here previous to 1773, and in November of that year married Ruth BENTON, reared ten children, and died in 1835, at the age of eighty-five years. Darius WEST, his eldest son, married Sarah HAZEN, reared eight children, and died June 19, 1840. The surviving children of Darius are Moses H., residing on road 71, Caleb, on road 80, and George and Charles, in Royalton.

      Joseph LOVELAND, a native of Weathersfield, Conn., came to Norwich in 1779 and purchased 200 acres of land on the river about two and one-quarter miles from the south line of the town. He married Mercy BIGELOW and reared a family of thirteen children. Joseph, Jr., the eldest son, migrated to Ohio. Aaron entered Dartmouth college, graduated in the class with Daniel WEBSTER, studied law with Daniel BUCK, and practiced in Norwich, and died here in 1870, at the age of ninety years. He was a judge of the county court, and represented Norwich in the legislature several years. David became a farmer and resided where his son John now lives. William had his father's farm, married Sarah HUTCHINSON and died in 1862, aged seventy-seven years. Five of his eight children still reside here. Joseph T. and Aaron own the original LOVELAND purchase. William J. the fourth child, graduated from Dartmouth college in 1848, studied law in Woodstock, and is now practicing his profession in East Saginaw, Mich. Reuben S. resides in Hartford, and Charles in Norwich village. Mrs. Mary BROWN and Mrs. W. H. HUTCHINSON are the daughters that reside here.

      David LYMAN came here in 1789, from Lebanon, Conn., and purchased 150 acres of land on road 2, where his grandson, Augustus, now resides, and died in 1849, aged eighty-eight years.

      Hon. Paul BRIGHAM, born at Coventry, Conn., January 17, 1745, came to Norwich in May, 1782, and purchased several hundred acres of land on road 50, corner 51, where William BRIGHAM now resides. During the Revolution he served as a captain and was stationed a part of the time at Coventry, Conn. After removing to Norwich, he attained to the rank of major-general of militia. He was highly respected by all who knew him, and discharged the duties of the various offices which he was called to fill to the satisfaction of his constituents, and with honor to himself. By the citizens of Norwich he was esteemed for those traits of character which mark the just man and the kind neighbor. He was an assistant justice of the county court from 1783 to '86, and from 1790 to Ď95; and was chief justice of the same in 1801. He held the office of judge of probate in 1800; and was high sheriff of the county from 1787 to '89. He represented Norwich in the general assembly of 1783, '86 and '91; was a member of the council from 1792 to '96; and sat in the State constitutional conventions of 1793, 1814, and '22, as the delegate from Norwich, Having been elected lieutenant-governor of the State in 1796. He was from that time annually returned to the same office, the years 1813 and '14 excepted, until 1820, when, "admonished by the infirmities of age," he refused longer to be a candidate for that station. While serving in this capacity, the gubernatorial chair was occupied at different times by Thomas CHITTENDEN, Isaac TICHENOR, Israel SMITH, and Jonas GALUSHA. From Dartmouth college he received the honorary degree of M. A., in 1806. His death occurred July 15, 1824, in the seventy-ninth year of his age. Mr. BRIGHAM's children were Dr. Thomas, Don J., Paul W. and Lydia. Don J. died December 28, 1855, aged eighty-two years, having reared a family of eight children, six daughters and one son, Don A., now living. Paul W. inherited the homestead and spent his life thereon. His family numbered nine children, six of whom are now living, three in this town, viz: Paul W., aged eighty-one years. William, aged seventy-five, and Mrs. Catharine HEBARD.

      Conant B. SAWYER, a brother-in-law of Hon. Paul BRIGHAM, came to Norwich about 1788, and located upon the place now occupied by Capt. HOWARD. He also was a veteran of the Revolution. He was married to five wives during his life, all of whom are buried in the cemetery at Beaver Meadow, reared a family of twelve children and died in 1838, aged eighty-two years. Calvin SAWYER, the only one of the children who settled here, married Fannie HATCH, and reared a family of eight children, four of whom are living, though only one, Charles C., in Norwich. Calvin died May 12, 1883, aged over eighty-six years.

      Obed LAMBERTON, with his wife and two children, came from Connecticut to Hartland, in 1785, coming up the Connecticut river in a canoe, landing at the mouth of Quechee river. He remained in Hartland two years, then removed to Plainfield, N. H., where he spent the remainder of his life, rearing eight children. Dorotha A. LAMBERTON, married Ruluf SPAULDING, and lived in this town forty years, rearing six children, three of whom are living, viz.: Mrs. Curtis PARKHURST, in Norwich, Zadock, in Minnesota, and Lucy A. WALBRIDGE, in Kansas.

      Sylvanus CHADWICK, a Revolutionary soldier, came to Norwich after the war, and soon after married Susannah GARDNER. Their second child married Martha SMITH, who, as his widow, now resides here.

      Hezekiah GOODRICH, Esq., who was for many years a justice of the peace, and held other early offices in the town, came here previous to 1786, locating near the present site of Pompanoosuc station. His only daughter married Rufus KNAPP, and reared a large family. Their eldest son, H. G. KNAPP, married Mary CARY, and had four sons, of whom Henry, W. H., and A. W. reside here.

      Oliver CUSHMAN, from Strafford, Conn., came to Norwich in 1787. He married Maria C. THOMAS, reared eleven children, and died in 1852, aged eighty-three years. Mrs. CUSHMAN died in 1854, aged eighty years. Their son, Oliver, Jr., now occupies the homestead, the old house having been built in 1796.

      John WRIGHT, Esq., was born here in 1792, graduated from West Point, studied law, and practiced his profession here all his life, dying in 1860. Mr. WRIGHT was highly esteemed and held many of the town offices.

      Samuel COOK, from Massachusetts, came to Norwich about 1796, locating on road 1, upon the farm now owned by-his grandson, Royal E. He married Anna PRATT and reared eight children, three of whom, Henry, of Mansfield, N. Y., Leonard, of this town, and Mrs. Sallie NORTHROP, of Lebanon, N. H., are living.

      David NEWTON, came to Hartford in 1779, and from him sprung all the NEWTONs of that town and Norwich. He married Mary HAZEN, of Norwich, Conn., and by her had sixteen children. Three of the sons, Rufus, Truman, and Daniel, purchased farms adjoining each other in the southwestern corner of Norwich, and spent their lives there, leaving number of children.

      Jeremiah WILSON, from Sharon, came to Norwich in 1806, locating on road 76, upon the farm now owned by his granddaughter, Mrs. Martha CHADWICK. Of his family of eleven children none settled permanently in the town.

      Levi BLAISDELL, born in this town, removed to Strafford, Vt., where he married Parmelia WHITE, and, in 1816, returned to Norwich and located upon the farm now owned by Harvey CARPENTER. He reared a family of eight children, six of whom are living, and died in 1878, aged eighty-four years.

      William SLACK came to Norwich in 1820, and located upon a farm on road 23. He remained on this place ten years, then removed to road 48, to the farm now owned by J. S. SPROAT, where he remained until his death, and was buried thereon. He reared ten children, six of whom are living.

      Hiram NOTT came to Norwich in 1820, locating on road 80, upon the farm now owned by his son Carlton B. He died in 1836, aged sixty-six years.

      Thomas CLOUGH, from New Hampshire, came to Norwich in 1820. Rodney CLOUGH is the only one of his children now living. Caleb, his second son, purchased a farm on road 17, where William DeLoss CLOUGH now resides, and died there in 1868, aged sixty-seven years.

      Rev. Samuel GODDARD, a Congregational minister, was born in Sutton, Mass., July 6, 1772, and carne to Norwich about 1821. He was married three times and reared eight children, of whom Mrs. Esther BAXTER, of Thetford, Vt., and Henry, of this town, are the only ones now living. Samuel, Jr., his sixth child, was a prominent man of the town, and died upon the farm now owned by his son, Henry S., August 13, 1879, aged seventy-one years.

      Chester CARPENTER came to Norwich in 1821, locating on road 21, upon the farm now owned by his son Harvey. This son and Mrs. Emily BARRON, of Lebanon, N. H., are the only surviving members of this branch of the CARPENTER family.

      Franklin OLDS, whose father, Gideon OLDS, was an early settler here, was born in Jericho, Vt., February 16, 1810. He was engaged in mercantile pursuits for nearly half a century, where Edward W. OLDS is now located, retiring from there in 1874. Mr. OLDS has been postmaster at Norwich twenty-two successive years, represented the town in the legislature of 1854-'55, and has held other prominent offices in the town.

      Timothy TILDEN came to Norwich in 1828, from Lebanon, N. H., and located upon the farm now owned by J. A. SARGENT. He subsequently removed to the farm now owned by his son, Reuben C., where he died in 1879, aged eighty-eight years. Hi reared a family of twelve children. Five of his daughters still reside in the town.

      Samuel CURRIER came to Norwich in 1831, establishing a blacksmith shop at the village, and resided here until his death, in April, 1873, aged sixty-seven years. He married Mahala BLAISDELL and reared a family of nine children, four of whom, Dr. S. H. and Ambrose B., of this town, Henry, of Hartford, and Simeon, of Canada, of are living.

      Daniel B. DUTTON was born in Washington, Conn., August 22, 1773, and came to Norwich, from Stowe, Vt., in 1833, and located upon the farm now owned by his son John. Mr. DUTTON reared thirteen children, four of whom are living, John, in this town, Aaron, in Claremont, N. H., Norman, in Metamora, Ill., and Dr. Daniel B., Jr., in Clyde, Kan.

      Thomas SARGENT came to Norwich in 1823. He married Susan BARTLETT, by whom he had eight children, six of whom are living, and four of them, Daniel, Thomas, Walter and Mrs. Susan STOWELL, in Norwich.

      Dea. Sylvester MORRIS, a native of Strafford, Conn., came to Norwich in 1837, and established a tannery on Blood brook, where lie continued in business until 1851, when he removed to Hartford and with his eons, E. W. and E. MORRIS, engaged in the manufacture of chairs under the firm title of S. MORRIS & Sons. A few years since he retired from the firm and now lives here in retirement, aged eighty-six years. Mr. MORRIS has four children, the two sons above mentioned, George S., professor of philosophy in the Michigan University, at Ann Arbor, and Mrs. E. B. KELLOGG, of this town.

      Morrill J. WALKER, born in Newport, N. H. in January, 1805, came to Thetford, Vt., in 1830, locating just over the line from Norwich, at Union Village, where he engaged in mercantile pursuits, remaining in trade until 1876, when he retired. Hi was appointed postmaster soon after he came there, holding the position twenty-six years. In 1840 hi established his residence in Norwich, and has lived hire since. Only two of his six children, Mrs. Edward WHITCOMB, of Jericho, and Mrs. S. L. BATES, of Newbury, are living.

      Samuel S. BOOTH, born in Limpets, July 13, 1818, came to Norwich in 1841, and has since resided here, rearing eight children, only two of whore, Ada E. and W. L. BOOTH, now reside in the town.

      Capt. Thomas HOWARD was born in Salem, Mass., and followed the sea until 1850, then, with his wife and five children, came to Norwich and located on road 55, where he now resides, aged seventy-three years. He has had three children born here.

      Albion GILE came to Norwich from Grantham, Mass., in 1851, and established a harness maker's business, which he has since carried on.

      The Methodist church, located at Union Village, was organized about 1812. Their first house of worship was built about 1815, at the corner of roads 29 and 15. The present brick edifice was dedicated in February, 1837. It will comfortably accommodate 300 persons, and is valued, including other property, at $2,700.00. The society has eighty members, with Rev. C. H. WALTER, pastor.

      The Congregational church, located at Norwich Village, was organized, with eleven members, June 15, 1819, Rev. R. W. BAILEY being the first pastor. The church building was dedicated November 20, 18 17. It is a wood structure, capable of seating 60o persons, and valued at $7,500.00. The society now has 207 members, with Rev. Nathan R. NICHOLS, acting pastor.

      The Methodist Episcopal church, located at Beaver Meadow, was organized in 1826, Rev. John W. HARDY being the presiding elder. The church building was erected in 1837. The society now has ten members, under the pastoral charge of Rev. C. H. WALTER, of Union Village.

Gazetteer of Towns
Gazetteer and Business Directory of 
Windsor County, Vt., For 1883-84
Compiled and Published By Hamilton Child,
Syracuse, N. Y. Printed January, 1884.
Page 158-169.

Transcribed by Karima Allison ~ 2004

A History of Norwich VT by M. E. Goddard

Marriage Certificate of Elihu N. Finney of Norwich VT 
and H. P. Alger of Sharon VT ~ 1851

Elihu Finney & Family of Norwich, VT ~ 
Daguerreotype taken circa 1876

Hatch ~ Chase Families

Norwich Vermont Genealogy & History