XX indexVermont  




WORCESTER lies in the northern part of the county, in latitude 44° 24’ and longitude 4° 25’ and is bounded north by Elmore, in Lamoille county, east by Calais, south by Middlesex, and west by Stowe, in Lamoille county. It was chartered by Gov. Benning Wentworth, of New Hampshire, to. Joshua MASON and sixty-four others, with seventy-one rights or shares, June 8, 1763, by the name of Worster. The name has only been altered by the improvement in spelling and pronunciation in modern times. 

      The township is regular in form, six miles square, and contains 23,040 acres. The town has an uneven surface, and nearly all of the western half is too mountainous for cultivation. This is in "The Hogsback" range, which commences abruptly near the southwestern corner of Middlesex and extends along the line between Middlesex, and a little east of the line between Worcester and Stowe, and ends near Elmore pond. In Worcester there are four considerable peaks in this range, the most conspicuous of which is Mt. Hunger. This mountain is in the western corner of the town, and partly in Middlesex. The only road to its summit in the clouds, 3,648 feet above the level of the sea, is in Middlesex. Its summit is rocky and barren of trees and vegetation, and affords uninterrupted views that are hardly surpassed by Vermont's best. The town is watered by the North Branch of the Winooski river, and numerous brooks, several of which are sufficient to turn mills. The largest bears the religious name of "Minister's brook," from the fact that it discharges its waters into the North Branch through the lot granted to the first settled minister. The North Branch, which is a mill stream, rises in Elmore, flows nearly south through the easterly part of the town, and joins the Winooski in the village of Montpelier. The other streams are all tributaries of the North Branch. The town contains but one natural pond, situated on Eagle Ledge road, which covers an area of about eight acres.

      The geological structure of this township is entirely of the talcose mica schist formation, with a narrow belt of clay slate extending across the westerly corner. Gold has been discovered along the streams, and in the largest quantities on Minister's brook.

      The first settlement was made in 1797, by John RIDLAN and George MARTIN, twenty-four years after its charter was granted. These pioneers came from Kennebec, Me., and settled on the one-acre lot at the center of the town, on Hampshire hill. They remained to clear ten or twelve acres, and it is sail they soon left town. This is probably a mistake, as John RIDLAN is recognized in transfers of lands on the Branch in 1802 and 1805, and in Deming's Vermont Offices we find that he was a member of the Constitutional Convention from Worcester in 1814. The census reports show that the town was not settled rapidly at first. In 1800 the population was twenty- five; in 1810, forty-one, an increase of only sixteen in ten years; and forty-four in 1820. The next decade the population increased nearly ten times, and numbered 443. The town was organized March 3, 1803. John YOUNG, son of Duncan YOUNG, was the first town clerk. The others elected at the first town, meeting are unknown. When the town was nearly deserted, about 1816, the records were deposited at Burlington for safe keeping, and were accidentally burned, and during the period of about five years the town had no municipal offices. The early settlers came to Worcester without much means, if any, and hoped to make comfortable homes of these cheap woodlands; but before they had been able to make extensive clearings the cold sea sons from 1812 to 1816 came on, their crops were cutoff by frost, and all were discouraged. In 1816 there were frosts every month, and as they said it was cold enough "to freeze their steers' horns off," they fled to escape the famine that they foresaw. In 1818 Amasa BROWN and his family were the only inhabitants left in town. Perhaps Mr. BROWN possessed more means than his unfortunate neighbors, and was enabled to see the way to keep the wolf of hunger from the door. At all events he remained with his wife, four sons, and seven daughters. It is facetiously said of him that "he threw his family on the town for support" at this time. He certainly was shrewd enough to take advantage of the situation, and occupy all the deserted clearings, increased his dairy by hiring cows, and his income by a corresponding increase in the sale of butter and pork. His sons were Milton, Amasa, Jr., Cyrus, and Martin C. Milton was the first constable under the second organization of the town, justice of the peace sixteen years, town representative seven years, a councilor in 1835, and superintendent of the Vermont state's prison four years. In 1850 he removed to Montpelier, and was admitted to the Washington county bar, and died July 3, 1852. Cyrus and Martin C. settled in Worcester, and Amasa studied theology and became a Baptist clergyman.

      In 1818, the seasons having become fruitful, the population again increased, and in 1820 the town contained forty-four souls.

      March 14, 1821, the town was reorganized by the election of a full quota of town officers. The town meeting convened at the house of Amasa BROWN, and elected Allen VAIL, moderator; Amasa BROWN, town clerk; Allen VAIL, Amasa BROWN, and Job HILL, selectmen; Allen VAIL, Amasa BROWN, and Jesse FLINK, listers; Milton BROWN, first constable and collector of taxes; Job HILL, grand juror; Jesse FLINK, highway surveyor; Abraham V. SMITH, William ARBUCKLE, Jesse FLINK, fence viewers; and Amasa BROWN, pound keeper. "Voted that Mr. BROWN's barn be considered as the pound." They voted a tax of eight mills on the dollar, on the list, to defray town expenses, formed the town into one school district, taxed the town one cent on the dollar of the list to support schools the ensuing year, and to have a highway tax assessed on the list to be made the year ensuing, and that nine hours be considered as a day's work.

      In the winter of 1821 and 1822 Job HILL taught the first winter school under the organization thus effected, in an old log house, and the next was taught by Betsey CUTLER. The first school-house was built of logs in 1822 or '23. The town was first represented in the legislature by James GREEN, in 1808, and after the second organization it was first represented by Allen VAIL, in 1822.

      The first road through the town extended from the Middlesex Center road over Hampshire hill to Elmore. The first settlement made in Worcester was on this road, and as late as 1812 there was no other road through. A road had been marked and cut from Montpelier along the Branch, which entered the southern part of the town, and in 1823 this road was extended up the Branch through the town and made passable. This is the first road recorded in town.

      The first manufactories were the necessary saw-mills, and the first articles of commerce from the town were lumber, shingles, and potatoes, and it was said that these articles with the Worcester people were "legal tender." The town produced very good pine; and to possess it some of those residing in town, and not very scrupulous, visited non-residents, who owned the township, largely, and for a nominal sum bought all the pine trees that had fallen down. To keep the supply good, and to make a profitable business, it is said some felled such trees as were desirable and converted them into lumber, with those that had been prostrated by the winds.

      Edwin BLOOD, from Bolton, Mass., came to Worcester and bought land in 1828. He went into the woods away from any road (probably soon after) and built a hat factory and boarding-house, and commenced the manufacture of hats, and employed from seventy-five to one hundred men. He died about 1813, and the hat business was soon after discontinued.

      Tanning was quite an industry from 1849 to 1861. Ebenezer FRIZZELL came from Berlin and built a tannery, which had several owners. The last, who owned it for a number of years, were Mr. WHEELER and Mr. FRYE. They employed several hands until the tannery was burned, in 1861. The knitting business, inaugurated by Mrs. Artemas RICHARDSON, and continued by Mrs. Frances E. CELLEY, for the firm of H. B. CLAFLIN & Co., of New York, kept the fingers of women and children busy, and brought them an income of several thousand dollars per year.

      The inhabitants procured their mail at Montpelier until a postoffice was established in Worcester in 1828. Amos RICE, appointed January 5, 1828, was the first postmaster, and John, son of Amos RICE, was toe first mail carrier. Like the other towns of Vermont the clear, sparkling mountain brooks abounded in trout, and the moose, deer, and bears inhabited the valleys, hills, and mountains; and any sort of an angler in the space of half an hour could capture enough of the speckled beauties for a family's breakfast; to the present time the disciples of Izaak WALTON resort to these mountain-born streams. A large beaver settlement once occupied the meadow now covered by Moses P. WHEELER's mill pond. 

      At the last census, in 1880, Worcester had a population of 802, and in 1888 the town had nine school districts and maintained schools in all of them. The number of scholars between the ages of five and twenty years who attended these schools the past year was 178, and five others attended private schools. The number of male teachers employed was three, and the number of female teachers thirteen, at an average weekly salary of $5.93 for males and $4.69 for females. The entire income for all school purposes was $1,334.18, and the whole amount paid out was $1,151.82. Rev. P. H. CARPENTER was superintendent.

      WORCESTER village is situated on North Branch, in the southeasterly part of the town. It is a post village and has a daily mail. Its nearest railroad station is at Montpelier, eight miles distant. The village contains two churches, a store, one hotel, a school-house, lumber and grist-mills, a number of shops and mechanics, and about forty dwellings.

      C.M. LADD’s saw, planing, and grist mills are located on the North Branch of the Winooski river, in the village of Worcester, about nine miles from Montpelier. There has been a saw-mill on this site over forty years. The first one was built by A. ROOD. About 1866 William BARNES, Jr., bought the property, and while the mill was undergoing repairs it was swept away by a freshet. Mr. BARNES soon built on the site a good circular saw-mill and a custom grist-mill. In 1873 these mills came into the possession of Mr. LADD, who is now doing an extensive business, and turns out of manufactured lumber about 800,000 feet annually. He also does custom grinding, and deals in flour and groceries. Mr. LADD gives employment to six men, and in the busy season to many more.

      A.H. CAMP's saw-mill is located on North Branch, about four miles from Worcester postoffice. Mr. CAMP built his mill in 1873. He stocks it mainly himself, turns out about 150,000 feet of lumber yearly, and employs two men constantly.

      George H. STONE's saw-mill is located on North Branch, about one mile north of Worcester village. This is an old mill site, on which has been a mill more than forty years. Mr. STONE gives employment on the average to about five men, and manufactures about 500,000 feet of lumber annually.

      J.L. STONE's steam saw-mill is located on Minister's brook, about two miles west of Worcester village. It is run by a forty-horse-power steam engine, and turns out annually about 1,000,000 feet of lumber, with the prospect of making the output 1,500,000 feet. Mr STONE employs an average of twenty men.

      C.C. PUTNAM & Son's saw-mill is on North Branch, about two miles north of Worcester village. This is the site of the BRIGHAM & VAIL mill, built about fifty years ago. In 1871 it came into the possession of the present owners, who rebuilt it, and put in new and improved machinery. They stock the mill from their timberlands in the vicinity, and employ an average of seven men. The mill cuts out 1,000,000 feet of lumber annually. C. E. HARRIS is foreman. The firm resides in Middlesex.

      C.L. & E.M. MORSE's lumber and shingle-mill is located on the North Branch, about four miles north of Worcester postoffice. The mill is run by water-power, with steam as auxiliary. This firm produces about 100,000 feet of lumber and about 500,000 shingles annually, and employs an average of four men.

      M.P. WHEELER's saw-mill is located on “Eagle Ledge" road, about two miles northerly from Worcester postoffice, and was built in 1860. Mr. WHEELER does custom sawing, and also stocks his mill by buying logs. All of his lumber is planed and matched at his mill. He turns out of manufactured lumber about 300,000 or 400,000 feet annually, and employs .a force of six men. 

      L.D. RUSSELL's steam saw-mill was built by Henry MONTAGUE, in 1886. Mr. RUSSELL became the owner about a year after the mill was completed. He is sawing and dressing lumber for O. C. CLOGSTON, of Montpelier, who owns 900 acres of timberland on the mountain. Mr. RUSSELL turns out annually from 1,200,000 to 1,500,000 feet, and gives constant employment to an average of twenty men.

      Dea. Samuel ANDREWS, born in New Hampshire about 1797, married Jane BLANCHARD in 1818, and resided in New Boston, N. H., till he came here. He first lived on the brook between A. P. SLAYTON's mill and William P. MOORE's present residence, about three years, when he bought Rufus REED's place near the village, and engaged in blacksmithing in town, but for the last twenty years of his life labored, when able, on his small farm. He was postmaster and town clerk several years, and also justice of the peace. He was conscientious in all his dealings; firm in what he believed to be right; constant in all his duties both to the public and the church, of which he was a member from 1832 to his death, October 8, 1878, at the age of eighty-one years. He and his wife lived together upwards of sixty years.

      Oliver WATSON, born in 1786, came to Worcester from Montpelier. He was a joiner by trade, and an extra good workman. He married Esther, oldest daughter of Amasa BROWN, May 29, 1817. This is the first recorded marriage in town. Their oldest son represented the town and was assistant judge of the County Court two years. He died in 1870, aged eighty-four years. His widow went to live with her son, judge E. C. WATSON, of Hartford, N. H., and died there.

      Ebenezer S. KELLOGG came from Brookfield, Vt., in the spring of 1822, and bought the place of Amos MERRIAM, on Hampshire hill, now occupied by Mr. LAWRENCE. He sold it and bought on Minister's brook, where he cleared up a farm and reared a large family of children, some of whom are yet living in town. About 1859 he sold his second farm and removed to the village, and kept a hotel for awhile. He lived in Worcester until 1868, when he went to Hanover, N. H., to live with his youngest son, where he died in 1872. Mrs. Roxana REED KELLOGG, his widow, still resides there with her son.

      Artemis RICHARDSON and wife, Eliza S., came from Leominster, Mass., and made a settlement on Hampshire hill, on the Farris LEONARD farm, in 1821. Mr. RICHARDSON came the year before and located his land, and chopped a few acres, returning to Massachusetts to spend the winter. He was born in February, 1790; was a comb maker by trade, and worked at that business many years. When quite young he was chosen captain in the militia, and was ever known in this town as Captain RICHARDSON. He was one of the first Abolitionists in the community, and never swerved for office; thus he was not so often on the winning side in political matters as some of his neighbors of the dominant parties, but lived to see his principles adopted by the nation. He was a genial companion, and loved to tell a good story, although it was not always of his own triumph. Mrs. RICHARDSON carried on the knitting and crocheting business several years, making a large amount of work for the and the neighboring towns. She has been one of the most active and consistent members of the church. She and Mrs. KELLOGG are the only survivors of the original members. Mr. RICHARDSON died in Worcester in 1865, aged seventy-five years. Mrs. RICHARDSON lives with her children in Brooklyn.

      Amos and Martha RICE came from Dover about 1823. He purchased some land, which he cleared, and by the hard labor of many years made it one of the best farms in town. Mr. RICE was town clerk, justice of the peace, and the first postmaster. He died in Worcester, October 20, 1854, aged seventy-five years. Mrs. RICE died August 12, 1865, aged eighty-seven years.

      Allan VAIL, born on Long Island, N. Y., married Betsey TUTHILL, came from Pomfret, Vt., to Worcester, in 1820, settled on a farm and built a saw-mill on North Branch, where C. C. PUTNAM & Son's mill now stands, and carried on both his farm and mill. He died in 1860, aged eighty-two years. He was a very prominent citizen, represented Worcester in the legislature, and held most of the offices in the gift of his townsmen. He reared a family of eight children. His son, Allen Lee VAIL, was born in Pomfret, August 1, 1811, and came to Worcester with his parents in 1820, He married Wealthy CILLEY, in 1837, who was born in Tunbridge, March 9, 1814. He succeeded his father on the homestead, where he resided fourteen years after, then settled in Worcester village, where he now resides, and followed the occupation of carpenter and builder. He is one of Worcester's most honored and trusted citizens; has represented the town two sessions in the state legislature, served as constable and collector twenty-five years, and as selectman and overseer of the poor Mr. and Mrs. VAIL have had born to them five children, of whom four grew to mature age, viz.: Agnes Gertrude (Mrs. Elijah WHITNEY), deceased; Martha Ann, who married George W. DUNHAM, a blacksmith, and resides in Worcester village; Henry D., who married Abbie TEMPLETON, and is engaged in merchandising in his native village; and W. ELDRIDGE, a clerk, who married Iran C. BANCROFT, of Calais, Vt., and resides in Montpelier.

      Charles DUGAR, born in France, came to Nova Scotia with his father's family, and when about twelve years of age to Charlton, Mass. Gload son of Charles, born in Charlton, in 1775, married Sarah DUNTON, of Sturbridge, Mass., and removed to Calais, Vt., in June, 1809. He was a farmer, and the father of eleven children. Abner, son of Gload, was born September 19, 1805, and by an accident became totally blind at the age of five years. His father was poor, and in early life he was thrown upon his own resources. His native intelligence, energy, and courage, to some extent, has compensated for his loss of sight. In his boyhood he attended school and made fair progress by hearing the other scholars recite; engaged in all the sports and labors of boyhood, and took long tramps in the woods in fishing and trapping. He began business for himself by peddling from house to house, and when about twenty-one he invested the little capital he had accumulated in a farm, partly in Worcester and partly in Calais, and since what time has been a farmer with more than ordinary success. About the time he settled on his farm he married Hannah JACOBS, of East Montpelier, who bore him five children. Mrs. DUGAR died August 9, 1866, and in December, 1868, he married Mrs. Irena GUSHA, who bore him one child. She died in September, 1874. Mr. DUGAR has reared his six children, and has given them as good advantages as are enjoyed by the average farmer's family. He has performed all kinds of farm labor, chopping, logging, and clearing land, and made better progress working in the dark than many with good eyes. He was also quite skillful at cooper work and making shingles. He is a good judge of cattle, and has done quite a business in buying and matching steers, and breaking them to work. It is said that by some unaccountable sense, or the extreme and acute sense of feeling, he is able to distinguish colors and the spots on cattle. While he was clearing his farm he made quite a business of burning charcoal, and one winter, with a pair of two-year-old steers, drew 900 bushels of coal nine miles to Montpelier. This blind man, who has never seen his children or their mothers, is now kindly cared for by his son, A. B. DUGAR, who, with his family, now resides with him. Mr. DUGAR is a wonderful man.

      E.B. Harris, son of Daniel and Abiah (BURNHAM) HARRIS, was born in Calais, October 27, 1828. He is the seventh of a family of twelve children, only three of whom are living. When he was three years old his parents moved onto the farm in Worcester, where he now lives. January 3, 1858, he married Almira S. KELLOGG. Mr. HARRIS has been a man of influence, has filled offices of trust, and has accumulated a competency to carry him through his approaching old age.

      Isaac E. WHEELER, son of Mason and Sarah (ELLIS) WHEELER, was born in Calais, October 8, 1825. He resided in Worcester, Mass., from the time he was eighteen years old until 1856. He then settled on the farm where he now lives, in Worcester. November 25, 1852, he married Charlotte HUTCHINSON, of St. Johnsbury, and they have three sons. Mr. WHEELER is one of a family of eleven children, only one of whom is living. He has held offices of trust, and is a worthy citizen. He has been fortunate in business, and is in good circumstances.

      Henry S. JOHNSON, son of Franklin and Permelia (BROWN) JOHNSON, was born on the farm where he now lives, July 22, 1831. His father came from Leominster, Mass., when there were only five or six families in Worcester, and settled in the wilderness where his son Henry S. and grandson Arthur now live. He reared a family of six children. His wife died in January, 1834, and in November, 1835, he married Olive BROWN, a sister of his first wife. Mr. JOHNSON died December 8, 1868. His wife, who still survives, resides on the homestead with Henry S., and is eighty-two years old. Henry S. JOHNSON has resided on the homestead since his birth, September 29, 1855. He married Melissa E. SUMNER, of Corinth, Vt., and six children have been born to them. In 1868 he had the misfortune to lose an eye. This did not unfit him for business or labor; but the great misfortune of his life occurred in 1885, when he lost the sight of the other eye. Before he was blind he filled the offices of selectman and lister. His son Arthur is a good farmer, and resides with his father and manages the farm.

      Adin MILES, son of Thaddeus and Lydia (GOLDTHWAIT) MILES, was born in Croydon, N. H., February 14, 1808. His father settled in Middlesex, in 1810, where Adin resided until 1831. Mr. MILES has resided on the farm where he now lives the past thirty-eight years. He has been a good neighbor, an upright, reliable citizen, and has taken his share of the burdens of the town.  He has been thrice married, first to Phebe TOWNSEND, of Williamstown, who  bore him two children; second to Fanny HENRY, of Middlesex, who bore him four children; and third to Mrs. Eliza K. WARREN. Mrs. MILES was born in West Randolph, Vt., October 14, 1820. She was the daughter of Stephen  and Lydia (KING) HERRICK, and like her present husband has been thrice  married, first, in 1839, to Chester PIERCE, by whom she had one child; second to Samuel WARREN, by whom she had nine children; and third to her present husband.

      Abel WHITNEY came from Brookfield, Vt., to Worcester, about 1832, and settled near the line of Middlesex.  He died in Lawrence, Kansas, in 1870 or '71. His sons Elijah and George M. reside in Middlesex, Himan T. in Montpelier, and Abel D., Henry H., and Sidney E. in Kansas. His daughters, Mrs. Ann PUTNAM and Mrs. Caroline PIKE, reside in Worcester.

      Lyman B. HINKSON, son of William and Sarah BONETT, (who was born April 6, 1782, and is now 107 years old,) was born in Bolton, Vt., July 4, 1817, and is one of a family of eleven children, who all lived to adult age. March 14, 1841, he married Mary Jane SILLEY, of New Andover, N. H., and settled in Worcester. Four of their six children are living, His son Calvin C. was killed in the late war. Mr. HINKSON also enlisted and served nine months in Co. H, 1 13th Vt. Regt. He boasts that he voted for Gen. William Henry Harrison in 1840 and for Gen. Benjamin Harrison in 1888.

      Leonard HAMBLET, son of Jonathan and Esther (Snow) HAMBLET, was born in Lebanon, Conn., October 27, 1802. His parents moved to Richford, Vt., when he was a small boy. About 1823, when he was of legal age, he made his pitch in the forest of Worcester, where he now resides. He commenced by clearing a plot of ground and. erecting a log house. At this time there were but twelve or thirteen families in the whole town. Six or seven families resided on the road to Montpelier, and about as many on the road to Elmore. Beyond these, on the Elmore road, was a nine-mile stretch of solid forest. Mr. HAMBLET has witnessed about all the improvements that have been made in his town. December 4, 1832, he married Lucy CULVER. Their children were Lorenzo N., born August 8, 1833, who died October r, 1833; Eunice P., born July 28, 1838, who died February 5, 1846; Martin L., born August 20, 1841; and Lucy A., born October 26, 1849, who died June 20, 1852. His wife died May 29, 1861, aged fifty-five years. A year later he married Thankful KEITH, who died November 27, 1886. He has bequeathed his property to his only surviving child. Martin L., a lawyer in Lowell, Mass. Mr. HAMBLET has now retired from labor, but has been very industrious and a hard worker. He has performed the part of a good citizen in Worcester almost three-score and ten years, and is highly respected by his large circle of acquaintances.

      Thomas HUTCHINSON, with his father and brothers, came from Norwich, and settled near the mouth of Minister's brook, where he continued to reside until 1867, when he removed to the place where his son, L. M. HUTCHINSON, now lives. Mr. HUTCHINSON, by industry and economy, made for himself and family a good home. July 2, 1835, he married Almira SUMMER, and together they traveled life's pathway forty-one years. Mr. HUTCHINSON was a man of great energy and perseverance in carrying out his plans, and as his views of town matters did not always coincide with others, there would sometimes come a struggle, which did not always tend to promote friendly feeling. He bore his share of public burdens, performed all his duties faithfully, and was representative two years. Mr. HUTCHINSON died October 4, 1876, aged sixty-four years, and his wife September 30, 1877, aged sixty years.

      Dea. Charles C. CLOSSON was born in Thetford, Vt., October 15, 1799. When a young man he went to Northfield and cleared a farm, and acquired a considerable property. In March, 1848, he moved to Worcester, onto the Closson farm, lived there until 1867, and was one of the largest paying members of the church for many years. He was one of a family of thirteen children, twelve of whom lived to have families of their own, and all but one were members of Congregational churches, that one being a deacon of a Baptist church. He died March 10, 1872, aged seventy-two years.

      William UTTON was born in Barney, England, about 1816. He married Caroline BARNES, of his native country, in 1836, and at once emigrated to America and settled in Worcester, where he still resides. Mr. UTTON is a respected citizen, a good farmer, has been a successful horse trainer, and has fitted many fine horses for market. Utton Brothers, of Morrisville, horse trainers, are his sons.

      William P. MOORE, son of Jonathan and Sarah (GLINES) MOORE, was born in Canterbury, N. H., May 11, 1810. He went to Lowell, Mass., in 1831, was employed in a cotton-mill, and became an overseer. About 1837 he married Hannah M. DOWNER, of Thetford, Vt., and settled in Mansfield, now a part of Stowe, Vt., where he cleared a farm and built a set of buildings, in which he resided about seven years. He subsequently lived in Stowe and Elmore, and eventually settled in Worcester, where he now resides. He held town offices in Mansfield and Worcester. Two of his six children died in infancy, a son died in the service of his country in the late war, his son, G. P. MOORE, and his daughter, Mrs. Ellen E., widow of A. A. GOULD, reside with him, and Mrs. Ella M., whose husband, F. P. MORSE, was accidentally killed in September, 1888, resides in Worcester.

      Warren ELLIS, son of Ira and Sally (COLLER) ELLIS, was born in Calais; April 12, 1840. When he was about twenty-two years of age he married Lucina GOODELL, of his native town. Their children are Mrs. Chauncey GOULD, of East Montpelier, and Mrs. E. M. COUGHLIN, of Maine. In the war for the Union Mr. ELLIS enlisted in Co. E, 17th Vt. Vols., and served to the close of the war. He then returned to his family and farm in Worcester, where he has since lived, and has given his attention to farming.

      Albert WHEELOCK, son of Abiah and Sophronia (GOVE) WHEELOCK, was born in East Montpelier, March 20, 1836. When he was about three years old his parents moved to the farm where he now lives, in Worcester. In the late war he was drafted into Co. H, 6th Vt. Regt., and served until the war closed, when he returned to his home. December 7, 1873, he married Ann C. HOYT, of Montpelier, and settled on the homestead, which he helped with the others of the family to clear and make a home. His father died March 8, 1877, aged sixty-eight years. His mother still survives at the age of seventy-eight years, and resides at the old home with him. Mr. ELLIS is one of the reliable citizens of Worcester. '

      Aaron KEMP, as near as can now be ascertained, was born in Fitchburgh, Mass., in 1779. His father emigrated from Birmingham, England. Aaron married Dolly ALLEN and settled in Acworth, N. H., where he lived until after the birth of all of his twelve children; then, with a company of colonists, he emigrated to Hampshire hill, in the town of Worcester, and settled on an unimproved farm. His son Phineas A. was born in Acworth, N. H., December 18, 1815, and settled on Hampshire hill in 1840. October 13, 1840, he married Betsey BLANCHARD, and they were blessed with five children, three of whom are living, viz.: Dr. Dean G. KEMP, a practicing physician, and Harlan KEMP, attorney at law, of the firm of Senter & Kemp, both residing in Montpelier; and their daughter, Lanette A. (Mrs. L. A. FLINT), of Middlesex. Mr. KEMP is a prominent citizen of Worcester, and has been honored by his townsmen with the most important offices in their gift, the duties of which he has faithfully discharged. He represented his town in the legislature in 1853, and again in 1869 and 1870.

      Dr. Chauncey N. HUNT, son of Chauncey and Linda HUNT, was born in Worcester, April 17, 1851. Dr. HUNT spent his boyhood on his father's farm, and had the customary three months in the common school in winter, and sufficient exercise at hard labor the remaining nine months of each year. He received his academic education at the Methodist Seminary at Montpelier, and his professional education at Dartmouth College and the University of Vermont, where he graduated in 1875. He immediately commenced the practice of his profession in his native town, where he continues at the present time (1888). As an evidence of the Doctor's skill and popularity he has built up an extensive practice, which extends over his own town, and into several adjacent towns. September 23, 1875, he married Jennie F. EMERY, of Worcester, who was an efficient teacher, and is now his able helpmate. They have two daughters and a son, viz.: Bernice Maud, Chauncey Earl, and Claribel. Dr. HUNT has held several offices of trust, and represented Worcester in the legislature in 1880.

      James M. GOULD, son of James and Clarissa (CULVER) GOULD, was born in East Montpelier, September 14, 1323. His parents had born to them nine children who lived to mature age, and one who died in childhood. In May, 1851, he married Phebe JONES, of East Montpelier, and in 1853 settled on the farm where he now lives, in Worcester. His failing health and approaching old age has compelled him to sell his farm. Mr. GOULD is honest and upright, and has served his town as selectman some years.

      Mark P. LADD married Harriet B. HILDRETH, of Richmond, Vt., and settled in Worcester. He was a prominent man in Worcester, and was highly respected by all who knew him. He died August 9, 1867. Mr. and Mrs. LADD were parents of six children, four of whom are now living. Their son, C. M. LADD, acquired a business education in the common schools of Worcester. He was born in town, in March, 1848, and at the age of twenty-one years married Ella S. Bruce. They have a daughter, Millie E., born June 9, 1872, and a son, Mark P., born April 22, 1878. Mr. LADD is the proprietor of a saw-mill and grist-mill, is an extensive manufacturer and dealer in lumber, and also deals in grain, flour, feed, and groceries. He is interested in the welfare of his town and in the society of his village. He has served in some of the town offices.

      Charles C. ABBOTT was born in Thetford, Vt., July 27, 1831, and died in Worcester, February 18, 1881. He was a son of Daniel and Hannah CLOSSON ABBOTT. He came to Worcester with his father's family in 1848. In 1852 he married Maria E. LADD, who, with seven children, survives him. He held many offices in town; was postmaster the last twenty years of his life, town clerk fifteen years, and a member of the Congregational church twenty-five years. He was charitable to all, and adopted the system of giving the tenth of his small income for the support of the gospel, and for benevolent purposes.

      Selden WILLEY, son of Hubbard and Lucy (MEAD) WILLEY, was born in Middlesex, Vt., August 14, 1825, and is one of thirteen children, all of whom lived to mature age. He spent the years of his minority, like other farmers’ boys, in attendance at the common school and at work on the farm. At the age of seventeen years he had the misfortune to fall upon a pitchfork. The tines penetrated his side, and from this injury he has never fully recovered. When he was thirty-five years of age he married M. Sophia WIGGINS, of Middlesex, daughter of Rufus and Rosella (LEWIS) WIGGINS. He was a mason about sixteen years of his early life, which he gave up in consequence of his infirmity, and since then he has been a farmer, and fairly successful. Mr. WILLEY is highly respected, and is a worthy citizen of Worcester.

      M.P. WHEELER, son of Artemas and Sarah WHEELER, was born in Weathersfield, Vt., April 17, 1831. About 1854 he came to Montpelier and engaged in the lumber business, which he still continues. In 1860 he settled in Worcester, and built his present fine mills. In 1879 he married Mrs. Maria C., widow of Augustus MORSE, of Calais. Mr. WHEELER is an energetic business man, and in addition to giving his attention to his own affairs has served his town in several important positions. He has been chairman of the board of selectmen several years, held that office in war time, and aided in recruiting to fill the quota of his town.

      Ira HOLMES, son of Stephen and Lucy (CARR) HOLMES, born in Milton, Vt., July 18, 1836, moved to Woodbury with his father when he was a small boy.He resided there and in Montpelier until 1861, when he responded to the call of his country, enlisted in Co. E, 8th Vt. Regt., went to the front, and was taken prisoner September 4, 1862. After he rejoined his company he received a gun-shot wound, and was finally discharged in June, 1864. About 1866 he settled in Worcester, where he has since been engaged in farming. He married Medora GALLUP, of Barnston, Conn., and they are parents of an only daughter. Mr. HOLMES is a reliable citizen and a good neighbor.

      A.J. STONE, son of Erastus and Lucy (BURR) STONE, was born in Cornish, N. H., October 13, 1845, and came to Worcester about 1864. He married Mary HARDY and settled where he now lives. Their union has been blessed with three children. Mr. STONE enlisted in Co. H, 6th Vt. Vols., served the term of enlistment, and reenlisted in Co. H, 13th Vt. Vols., served another term, and then returned to his family in Worcester. He is a very prominent man in his town, and takes an active interest in all its affairs. He is one of the board of selectmen, a notary public, and represented Worcester in the session of the legislature of 1888.

      Joseph TOWN, son of Elisha and Nancy (LAWSON) TOWN, was born in Montpelier, October 26, 1816. He resided with his father until he was twenty-one years old, then learned the trade of wheelwright, of his brother Daniel, and followed it as a business fifteen years. He then followed farming in East Montpelier and Montpelier until about 1868, when he moved from Montpelier to the farm in Worcester where he now resides. At the age of thirty-two years he married Mary Ann CUMMINGS, of East Montpelier. Their union has been blessed with four children, viz.: Martha A., born March 9, 1851; Clara E., born July 10, 1853; Elisha L., born October 7, 1855, who died April 22, 1885; and Laura A., born February 24, 1863. Martha A. is the wife of J. P. FLINT, of Middlesex. Clara E. is the wife of George E. FENN. They reside on the farm with her father and Laura, who is unmarried. Mr. TOWN has been an industrious hard worker, and has earned for himself a high reputation for honesty, integrity, and fair dealing.

      None of the settlers of Worcester, as far as can be ascertained, participated in the Revolutionary war, and none went from the town to the War of 1812; but several who served in it afterward settled in Worcester. Samuel KELLEY, Samuel ANDREWS, Matthias FOLSOM, Joel H. TEMPLETON, and Jasper STODDARD are known to have been of the number, and there may have been others.

      In the war for the Union Worcester furnished eighty-six men, who went to the front and did service in the suppression of the Rebellion. Five were killed in battle or died of wounds received in action, six died of diseases, two who were drafted paid commutation, and two deserted.

The First Congregational Church

      The First Congregational church of Worcester is located in Worcester village. It was organized February 29, 1824 by Rev. James HOBART, of Berlin, and consisted of twelve members at its organization. From this time Rev. Mr. HOBART and Rev. Chester WRIGHT preached occasionally, as also did Rev. George FREEMAN, Rev. Mr. STEWART, Rev. Mr. THOMPSON, and Rev. Mr. WHEELOCK, until November 13, 1839, when their first pastor, Rev. John FOSTER, was installed. They erected their first house of worship, of wood, in 1846, which they now occupy. It has a seating capacity for 200 persons, and is valued, with the grounds and all other church property, at $1,500. The church now has forty-eight members, and Rev. Philo H. CARPENTER is their pastor. The Sunday-school has sixty members; and an average attendance of thirty-two.

The Methodist Episcopal Church

      The first Methodist Episcopal church society was organized in 1848, with the corporate name of "Methodist Episcopal society," with a constitution and by-laws. Their first house of worship was erected, of wood, about one mile north of Worcester Corner. The organizers of this society were A. M. KELLEY, Orismon HANCOCK, Amos RICE, Leonard HAMBLET, Daniel A. FROST, John CLARK, David HANCOCK, Alexander DINGWALL, 1st, Alexander DINGWALL, 2d, Abel WHITNEY, Aaron KEMP, John BRIGHAM, Milton BROWN, David L. FROST, William COOPER, Ferris LEONARD, and Dennis CHILD. The first preacher's name found on record is Rev. Harvey GURNSEY, who preached in 1846 and '47, before the formal organization of the society. The first preacher after the organization was Rev. Sumner TARBELL. The present house of worship was erected of wood in the summer of 1887, at Worcester Corner. The church has comfortable seatls for 250 persons. The value of all church property, including buildings and grounds, is $3,500. The present membership is ninety-six, and Rev. David C. FLETCHER is their pastor. He is a native of Rochester, Vt., a graduate of Vermont Methodist Seminary, and in the third year on this charge. The Sunday-school was organized January 8, 1888, and has an average attendance of forty.

Gazetteer Of Washington County, Vt. 1783-1899, 
Compiled and Published by Hamilton Child,
Edited By William Adams.
The Syracuse Journal Company, Printers and Binders.
Syracuse, N. Y.; April, 1889.
Page 531-543

Transcribed by Karima Allison, 2003

Childs' Business Directory of the Town of Worcester, Washington County, VT., 1883–1884