lies in the northern part of the county, in latitude 44° 24’ and longitude
4° 25’ and is bounded north by Elmore, in Lamoille county, east by
Calais, south by Middlesex, and west by Stowe, in Lamoille county. It was
chartered by Gov. Benning Wentworth, of New Hampshire, to. Joshua MASON
and sixty-four others, with seventy-one rights or shares, June 8, 1763,
by the name of Worster. The name has only been altered by the improvement
in spelling and pronunciation in modern times.
The township is regular in form, six miles square, and contains
23,040 acres. The town has an uneven surface, and nearly all of the western
half is too mountainous for cultivation. This is in "The Hogsback" range,
which commences abruptly near the southwestern corner of Middlesex and
extends along the line between Middlesex, and a little east of the line
between Worcester and Stowe, and ends near Elmore pond. In Worcester there
are four considerable peaks in this range, the most conspicuous of which
is Mt. Hunger. This mountain is in the western corner of the town, and
partly in Middlesex. The only road to its summit in the clouds, 3,648 feet
above the level of the sea, is in Middlesex. Its summit is rocky and barren
of trees and vegetation, and affords uninterrupted views that are hardly
surpassed by Vermont's best. The town is watered by the North Branch of
the Winooski river, and numerous brooks, several of which are sufficient
to turn mills. The largest bears the religious name of "Minister's brook,"
from the fact that it discharges its waters into the North Branch through
the lot granted to the first settled minister. The North Branch, which
is a mill stream, rises in Elmore, flows nearly south through the easterly
part of the town, and joins the Winooski in the village of Montpelier.
The other streams are all tributaries of the North Branch. The town contains
but one natural pond, situated on Eagle Ledge road, which covers an area
of about eight acres.
The geological structure of this township is entirely of the talcose
mica schist formation, with a narrow belt of clay slate extending across
the westerly corner. Gold has been discovered along the streams, and in
the largest quantities on Minister's brook.
The first settlement was made in 1797, by John RIDLAN and George
MARTIN, twenty-four years after its charter was granted. These pioneers
came from Kennebec, Me., and settled on the one-acre lot at the center
of the town, on Hampshire hill. They remained to clear ten or twelve acres,
and it is sail they soon left town. This is probably a mistake, as John
RIDLAN is recognized in transfers of lands on the Branch in 1802 and 1805,
and in Deming's Vermont Offices we find that he was a member of the Constitutional
Convention from Worcester in 1814. The census reports show that the town
was not settled rapidly at first. In 1800 the population was twenty- five;
in 1810, forty-one, an increase of only sixteen in ten years; and forty-four
in 1820. The next decade the population increased nearly ten times, and
numbered 443. The town was organized March 3, 1803. John YOUNG, son of
Duncan YOUNG, was the first town clerk. The others elected at the first
town, meeting are unknown. When the town was nearly deserted, about 1816,
the records were deposited at Burlington for safe keeping, and were accidentally
burned, and during the period of about five years the town had no municipal
offices. The early settlers came to Worcester without much means, if any,
and hoped to make comfortable homes of these cheap woodlands; but before
they had been able to make extensive clearings the cold sea sons from 1812
to 1816 came on, their crops were cutoff by frost, and all were discouraged.
In 1816 there were frosts every month, and as they said it was cold enough
"to freeze their steers' horns off," they fled to escape the famine that
they foresaw. In 1818 Amasa BROWN and his family were the only inhabitants
left in town. Perhaps Mr. BROWN possessed more means than his unfortunate
neighbors, and was enabled to see the way to keep the wolf of hunger from
the door. At all events he remained with his wife, four sons, and seven
daughters. It is facetiously said of him that "he threw his family on the
town for support" at this time. He certainly was shrewd enough to take
advantage of the situation, and occupy all the deserted clearings, increased
his dairy by hiring cows, and his income by a corresponding increase in
the sale of butter and pork. His sons were Milton, Amasa, Jr., Cyrus, and
Martin C. Milton was the first constable under the second organization
of the town, justice of the peace sixteen years, town representative seven
years, a councilor in 1835, and superintendent of the Vermont state's prison
four years. In 1850 he removed to Montpelier, and was admitted to the Washington
county bar, and died July 3, 1852. Cyrus and Martin C. settled in Worcester,
and Amasa studied theology and became a Baptist clergyman.
In 1818, the seasons having become fruitful, the population again
increased, and in 1820 the town contained forty-four souls.
March 14, 1821, the town was reorganized by the election of a full
quota of town officers. The town meeting convened at the house of Amasa
BROWN, and elected Allen VAIL, moderator; Amasa BROWN, town clerk; Allen
VAIL, Amasa BROWN, and Job HILL, selectmen; Allen VAIL, Amasa BROWN, and
Jesse FLINK, listers; Milton BROWN, first constable and collector of taxes;
Job HILL, grand juror; Jesse FLINK, highway surveyor; Abraham V. SMITH,
William ARBUCKLE, Jesse FLINK, fence viewers; and Amasa BROWN, pound keeper.
"Voted that Mr. BROWN's barn be considered as the pound." They voted a
tax of eight mills on the dollar, on the list, to defray town expenses,
formed the town into one school district, taxed the town one cent on the
dollar of the list to support schools the ensuing year, and to have a highway
tax assessed on the list to be made the year ensuing, and that nine hours
be considered as a day's work.
In the winter of 1821 and 1822 Job HILL taught the first winter
school under the organization thus effected, in an old log house, and the
next was taught by Betsey CUTLER. The first school-house was built of logs
in 1822 or '23. The town was first represented in the legislature by James
GREEN, in 1808, and after the second organization it was first represented
by Allen VAIL, in 1822.
The first road through the town extended from the Middlesex Center
road over Hampshire hill to Elmore. The first settlement made in Worcester
was on this road, and as late as 1812 there was no other road through.
A road had been marked and cut from Montpelier along the Branch, which
entered the southern part of the town, and in 1823 this road was extended
up the Branch through the town and made passable. This is the first road
recorded in town.
The first manufactories were the necessary saw-mills, and the first
articles of commerce from the town were lumber, shingles, and potatoes,
and it was said that these articles with the Worcester people were "legal
tender." The town produced very good pine; and to possess it some of those
residing in town, and not very scrupulous, visited non-residents, who owned
the township, largely, and for a nominal sum bought all the pine trees
that had fallen down. To keep the supply good, and to make a profitable
business, it is said some felled such trees as were desirable and converted
them into lumber, with those that had been prostrated by the winds.
Edwin BLOOD, from Bolton, Mass., came to Worcester and bought land
in 1828. He went into the woods away from any road (probably soon after)
and built a hat factory and boarding-house, and commenced the manufacture
of hats, and employed from seventy-five to one hundred men. He died about
1813, and the hat business was soon after discontinued.
Tanning was quite an industry from 1849 to 1861. Ebenezer FRIZZELL
came from Berlin and built a tannery, which had several owners. The last,
who owned it for a number of years, were Mr. WHEELER and Mr. FRYE. They
employed several hands until the tannery was burned, in 1861. The knitting
business, inaugurated by Mrs. Artemas RICHARDSON, and continued by Mrs.
Frances E. CELLEY, for the firm of H. B. CLAFLIN & Co., of New York,
kept the fingers of women and children busy, and brought them an income
of several thousand dollars per year.
The inhabitants procured their mail at Montpelier until a postoffice
was established in Worcester in 1828. Amos RICE, appointed January 5, 1828,
was the first postmaster, and John, son of Amos RICE, was toe first mail
carrier. Like the other towns of Vermont the clear, sparkling mountain
brooks abounded in trout, and the moose, deer, and bears inhabited the
valleys, hills, and mountains; and any sort of an angler in the space of
half an hour could capture enough of the speckled beauties for a family's
breakfast; to the present time the disciples of Izaak WALTON resort to
these mountain-born streams. A large beaver settlement once occupied the
meadow now covered by Moses P. WHEELER's mill pond.
At the last census, in 1880, Worcester had a population of 802,
and in 1888 the town had nine school districts and maintained schools in
all of them. The number of scholars between the ages of five and twenty
years who attended these schools the past year was 178, and five others
attended private schools. The number of male teachers employed was three,
and the number of female teachers thirteen, at an average weekly salary
of $5.93 for males and $4.69 for females. The entire income for all school
purposes was $1,334.18, and the whole amount paid out was $1,151.82. Rev.
P. H. CARPENTER was superintendent.
WORCESTER village is situated on North Branch, in the southeasterly
part of the town. It is a post village and has a daily mail. Its nearest
railroad station is at Montpelier, eight miles distant. The village contains
two churches, a store, one hotel, a school-house, lumber and grist-mills,
a number of shops and mechanics, and about forty dwellings.
C.M. LADD’s saw, planing, and grist mills are located on the North
Branch of the Winooski river, in the village of Worcester, about nine miles
from Montpelier. There has been a saw-mill on this site over forty years.
The first one was built by A. ROOD. About 1866 William BARNES, Jr., bought
the property, and while the mill was undergoing repairs it was swept away
by a freshet. Mr. BARNES soon built on the site a good circular saw-mill
and a custom grist-mill. In 1873 these mills came into the possession of
Mr. LADD, who is now doing an extensive business, and turns out of manufactured
lumber about 800,000 feet annually. He also does custom grinding, and deals
in flour and groceries. Mr. LADD gives employment to six men, and in the
busy season to many more.
A.H. CAMP's saw-mill is located on North Branch, about four miles
from Worcester postoffice. Mr. CAMP built his mill in 1873. He stocks it
mainly himself, turns out about 150,000 feet of lumber yearly, and employs
two men constantly.
George H. STONE's saw-mill is located on North Branch, about one
mile north of Worcester village. This is an old mill site, on which has
been a mill more than forty years. Mr. STONE gives employment on the average
to about five men, and manufactures about 500,000 feet of lumber annually.
J.L. STONE's steam saw-mill is located on Minister's brook, about
two miles west of Worcester village. It is run by a forty-horse-power steam
engine, and turns out annually about 1,000,000 feet of lumber, with the
prospect of making the output 1,500,000 feet. Mr STONE employs an average
of twenty men.
C.C. PUTNAM & Son's saw-mill is on North Branch, about two miles
north of Worcester village. This is the site of the BRIGHAM & VAIL
mill, built about fifty years ago. In 1871 it came into the possession
of the present owners, who rebuilt it, and put in new and improved machinery.
They stock the mill from their timberlands in the vicinity, and employ
an average of seven men. The mill cuts out 1,000,000 feet of lumber annually.
C. E. HARRIS is foreman. The firm resides in Middlesex.
C.L. & E.M. MORSE's lumber and shingle-mill is located on the
North Branch, about four miles north of Worcester postoffice. The mill
is run by water-power, with steam as auxiliary. This firm produces about
100,000 feet of lumber and about 500,000 shingles annually, and employs
an average of four men.
M.P. WHEELER's saw-mill is located on “Eagle Ledge" road, about
two miles northerly from Worcester postoffice, and was built in 1860. Mr.
WHEELER does custom sawing, and also stocks his mill by buying logs. All
of his lumber is planed and matched at his mill. He turns out of manufactured
lumber about 300,000 or 400,000 feet annually, and employs .a force of
L.D. RUSSELL's steam saw-mill was built by Henry MONTAGUE, in 1886.
Mr. RUSSELL became the owner about a year after the mill was completed.
He is sawing and dressing lumber for O. C. CLOGSTON, of Montpelier, who
owns 900 acres of timberland on the mountain. Mr. RUSSELL turns out annually
from 1,200,000 to 1,500,000 feet, and gives constant employment to an average
of twenty men.
Dea. Samuel ANDREWS, born in New Hampshire about 1797, married Jane
BLANCHARD in 1818, and resided in New Boston, N. H., till he came here.
He first lived on the brook between A. P. SLAYTON's mill and William P.
MOORE's present residence, about three years, when he bought Rufus REED's
place near the village, and engaged in blacksmithing in town, but for the
last twenty years of his life labored, when able, on his small farm. He
was postmaster and town clerk several years, and also justice of the peace.
He was conscientious in all his dealings; firm in what he believed to be
right; constant in all his duties both to the public and the church, of
which he was a member from 1832 to his death, October 8, 1878, at the age
of eighty-one years. He and his wife lived together upwards of sixty years.
Oliver WATSON, born in 1786, came to Worcester from Montpelier.
He was a joiner by trade, and an extra good workman. He married Esther,
oldest daughter of Amasa BROWN, May 29, 1817. This is the first recorded
marriage in town. Their oldest son represented the town and was assistant
judge of the County Court two years. He died in 1870, aged eighty-four
years. His widow went to live with her son, judge E. C. WATSON, of Hartford,
N. H., and died there.
Ebenezer S. KELLOGG came from Brookfield, Vt., in the spring of
1822, and bought the place of Amos MERRIAM, on Hampshire hill, now occupied
by Mr. LAWRENCE. He sold it and bought on Minister's brook, where he cleared
up a farm and reared a large family of children, some of whom are yet living
in town. About 1859 he sold his second farm and removed to the village,
and kept a hotel for awhile. He lived in Worcester until 1868, when he
went to Hanover, N. H., to live with his youngest son, where he died in
1872. Mrs. Roxana REED KELLOGG, his widow, still resides there with her
Artemis RICHARDSON and wife, Eliza S., came from Leominster, Mass.,
and made a settlement on Hampshire hill, on the Farris LEONARD farm, in
1821. Mr. RICHARDSON came the year before and located his land, and chopped
a few acres, returning to Massachusetts to spend the winter. He was born
in February, 1790; was a comb maker by trade, and worked at that business
many years. When quite young he was chosen captain in the militia, and
was ever known in this town as Captain RICHARDSON. He was one of the first
Abolitionists in the community, and never swerved for office; thus he was
not so often on the winning side in political matters as some of his neighbors
of the dominant parties, but lived to see his principles adopted by the
nation. He was a genial companion, and loved to tell a good story, although
it was not always of his own triumph. Mrs. RICHARDSON carried on the knitting
and crocheting business several years, making a large amount of work for
the and the neighboring towns. She has been one of the most active and
consistent members of the church. She and Mrs. KELLOGG are the only survivors
of the original members. Mr. RICHARDSON died in Worcester in 1865, aged
seventy-five years. Mrs. RICHARDSON lives with her children in Brooklyn.
Amos and Martha RICE came from Dover about 1823. He purchased some
land, which he cleared, and by the hard labor of many years made it one
of the best farms in town. Mr. RICE was town clerk, justice of the peace,
and the first postmaster. He died in Worcester, October 20, 1854, aged
seventy-five years. Mrs. RICE died August 12, 1865, aged eighty-seven years.
Allan VAIL, born on Long Island, N. Y., married Betsey TUTHILL,
came from Pomfret, Vt., to Worcester, in 1820, settled on a farm and built
a saw-mill on North Branch, where C. C. PUTNAM & Son's mill now stands,
and carried on both his farm and mill. He died in 1860, aged eighty-two
years. He was a very prominent citizen, represented Worcester in the legislature,
and held most of the offices in the gift of his townsmen. He reared a family
of eight children. His son, Allen Lee VAIL, was born in Pomfret, August
1, 1811, and came to Worcester with his parents in 1820, He married Wealthy
CILLEY, in 1837, who was born in Tunbridge, March 9, 1814. He succeeded
his father on the homestead, where he resided fourteen years after, then
settled in Worcester village, where he now resides, and followed the occupation
of carpenter and builder. He is one of Worcester's most honored and trusted
citizens; has represented the town two sessions in the state legislature,
served as constable and collector twenty-five years, and as selectman and
overseer of the poor Mr. and Mrs. VAIL have had born to them five children,
of whom four grew to mature age, viz.: Agnes Gertrude (Mrs. Elijah WHITNEY),
deceased; Martha Ann, who married George W. DUNHAM, a blacksmith, and resides
in Worcester village; Henry D., who married Abbie TEMPLETON, and is engaged
in merchandising in his native village; and W. ELDRIDGE, a clerk, who married
Iran C. BANCROFT, of Calais, Vt., and resides in Montpelier.
Charles DUGAR, born in France, came to Nova Scotia with his father's
family, and when about twelve years of age to Charlton, Mass. Gload son
of Charles, born in Charlton, in 1775, married Sarah DUNTON, of Sturbridge,
Mass., and removed to Calais, Vt., in June, 1809. He was a farmer, and
the father of eleven children. Abner, son of Gload, was born September
19, 1805, and by an accident became totally blind at the age of five years.
His father was poor, and in early life he was thrown upon his own resources.
His native intelligence, energy, and courage, to some extent, has compensated
for his loss of sight. In his boyhood he attended school and made fair
progress by hearing the other scholars recite; engaged in all the sports
and labors of boyhood, and took long tramps in the woods in fishing and
trapping. He began business for himself by peddling from house to house,
and when about twenty-one he invested the little capital he had accumulated
in a farm, partly in Worcester and partly in Calais, and since what time
has been a farmer with more than ordinary success. About the time he settled
on his farm he married Hannah JACOBS, of East Montpelier, who bore him
five children. Mrs. DUGAR died August 9, 1866, and in December, 1868, he
married Mrs. Irena GUSHA, who bore him one child. She died in September,
1874. Mr. DUGAR has reared his six children, and has given them as good
advantages as are enjoyed by the average farmer's family. He has performed
all kinds of farm labor, chopping, logging, and clearing land, and made
better progress working in the dark than many with good eyes. He was also
quite skillful at cooper work and making shingles. He is a good judge of
cattle, and has done quite a business in buying and matching steers, and
breaking them to work. It is said that by some unaccountable sense, or
the extreme and acute sense of feeling, he is able to distinguish colors
and the spots on cattle. While he was clearing his farm he made quite a
business of burning charcoal, and one winter, with a pair of two-year-old
steers, drew 900 bushels of coal nine miles to Montpelier. This blind man,
who has never seen his children or their mothers, is now kindly cared for
by his son, A. B. DUGAR, who, with his family, now resides with him. Mr.
DUGAR is a wonderful man.
E.B. Harris, son of Daniel and Abiah (BURNHAM) HARRIS, was born
in Calais, October 27, 1828. He is the seventh of a family of twelve children,
only three of whom are living. When he was three years old his parents
moved onto the farm in Worcester, where he now lives. January 3, 1858,
he married Almira S. KELLOGG. Mr. HARRIS has been a man of influence, has
filled offices of trust, and has accumulated a competency to carry him
through his approaching old age.
Isaac E. WHEELER, son of Mason and Sarah (ELLIS) WHEELER, was born
in Calais, October 8, 1825. He resided in Worcester, Mass., from the time
he was eighteen years old until 1856. He then settled on the farm where
he now lives, in Worcester. November 25, 1852, he married Charlotte HUTCHINSON,
of St. Johnsbury, and they have three sons. Mr. WHEELER is one of a family
of eleven children, only one of whom is living. He has held offices of
trust, and is a worthy citizen. He has been fortunate in business, and
is in good circumstances.
Henry S. JOHNSON, son of Franklin and Permelia (BROWN) JOHNSON,
was born on the farm where he now lives, July 22, 1831. His father came
from Leominster, Mass., when there were only five or six families in Worcester,
and settled in the wilderness where his son Henry S. and grandson Arthur
now live. He reared a family of six children. His wife died in January,
1834, and in November, 1835, he married Olive BROWN, a sister of his first
wife. Mr. JOHNSON died December 8, 1868. His wife, who still survives,
resides on the homestead with Henry S., and is eighty-two years old. Henry
S. JOHNSON has resided on the homestead since his birth, September 29,
1855. He married Melissa E. SUMNER, of Corinth, Vt., and six children have
been born to them. In 1868 he had the misfortune to lose an eye. This did
not unfit him for business or labor; but the great misfortune of his life
occurred in 1885, when he lost the sight of the other eye. Before he was
blind he filled the offices of selectman and lister. His son Arthur is
a good farmer, and resides with his father and manages the farm.
Adin MILES, son of Thaddeus and Lydia (GOLDTHWAIT) MILES, was born
in Croydon, N. H., February 14, 1808. His father settled in Middlesex,
in 1810, where Adin resided until 1831. Mr. MILES has resided on the farm
where he now lives the past thirty-eight years. He has been a good neighbor,
an upright, reliable citizen, and has taken his share of the burdens of
the town. He has been thrice married, first to Phebe TOWNSEND, of
Williamstown, who bore him two children; second to Fanny HENRY, of
Middlesex, who bore him four children; and third to Mrs. Eliza K. WARREN.
Mrs. MILES was born in West Randolph, Vt., October 14, 1820. She was the
daughter of Stephen and Lydia (KING) HERRICK, and like her present
husband has been thrice married, first, in 1839, to Chester PIERCE,
by whom she had one child; second to Samuel WARREN, by whom she had nine
children; and third to her present husband.
Abel WHITNEY came from Brookfield, Vt., to Worcester, about 1832,
and settled near the line of Middlesex. He died in Lawrence, Kansas,
in 1870 or '71. His sons Elijah and George M. reside in Middlesex, Himan
T. in Montpelier, and Abel D., Henry H., and Sidney E. in Kansas. His daughters,
Mrs. Ann PUTNAM and Mrs. Caroline PIKE, reside in Worcester.
Lyman B. HINKSON, son of William and Sarah BONETT, (who was born
April 6, 1782, and is now 107 years old,) was born in Bolton, Vt., July
4, 1817, and is one of a family of eleven children, who all lived to adult
age. March 14, 1841, he married Mary Jane SILLEY, of New Andover, N. H.,
and settled in Worcester. Four of their six children are living, His son
Calvin C. was killed in the late war. Mr. HINKSON also enlisted and served
nine months in Co. H, 1 13th Vt. Regt. He boasts that he voted for Gen.
William Henry Harrison in 1840 and for Gen. Benjamin Harrison in 1888.
Leonard HAMBLET, son of Jonathan and Esther (Snow) HAMBLET, was
born in Lebanon, Conn., October 27, 1802. His parents moved to Richford,
Vt., when he was a small boy. About 1823, when he was of legal age, he
made his pitch in the forest of Worcester, where he now resides. He commenced
by clearing a plot of ground and. erecting a log house. At this time there
were but twelve or thirteen families in the whole town. Six or seven families
resided on the road to Montpelier, and about as many on the road to Elmore.
Beyond these, on the Elmore road, was a nine-mile stretch of solid forest.
Mr. HAMBLET has witnessed about all the improvements that have been made
in his town. December 4, 1832, he married Lucy CULVER. Their children were
Lorenzo N., born August 8, 1833, who died October r, 1833; Eunice P., born
July 28, 1838, who died February 5, 1846; Martin L., born August 20, 1841;
and Lucy A., born October 26, 1849, who died June 20, 1852. His wife died
May 29, 1861, aged fifty-five years. A year later he married Thankful KEITH,
who died November 27, 1886. He has bequeathed his property to his only
surviving child. Martin L., a lawyer in Lowell, Mass. Mr. HAMBLET has now
retired from labor, but has been very industrious and a hard worker. He
has performed the part of a good citizen in Worcester almost three-score
and ten years, and is highly respected by his large circle of acquaintances.
Thomas HUTCHINSON, with his father and brothers, came from Norwich,
and settled near the mouth of Minister's brook, where he continued to reside
until 1867, when he removed to the place where his son, L. M. HUTCHINSON,
now lives. Mr. HUTCHINSON, by industry and economy, made for himself and
family a good home. July 2, 1835, he married Almira SUMMER, and together
they traveled life's pathway forty-one years. Mr. HUTCHINSON was a man
of great energy and perseverance in carrying out his plans, and as his
views of town matters did not always coincide with others, there would
sometimes come a struggle, which did not always tend to promote friendly
feeling. He bore his share of public burdens, performed all his duties
faithfully, and was representative two years. Mr. HUTCHINSON died October
4, 1876, aged sixty-four years, and his wife September 30, 1877, aged sixty
Dea. Charles C. CLOSSON was born in Thetford, Vt., October 15, 1799.
When a young man he went to Northfield and cleared a farm, and acquired
a considerable property. In March, 1848, he moved to Worcester, onto the
Closson farm, lived there until 1867, and was one of the largest paying
members of the church for many years. He was one of a family of thirteen
children, twelve of whom lived to have families of their own, and all but
one were members of Congregational churches, that one being a deacon of
a Baptist church. He died March 10, 1872, aged seventy-two years.
William UTTON was born in Barney, England, about 1816. He married
Caroline BARNES, of his native country, in 1836, and at once emigrated
to America and settled in Worcester, where he still resides. Mr. UTTON
is a respected citizen, a good farmer, has been a successful horse trainer,
and has fitted many fine horses for market. Utton Brothers, of Morrisville,
horse trainers, are his sons.
William P. MOORE, son of Jonathan and Sarah (GLINES) MOORE, was
born in Canterbury, N. H., May 11, 1810. He went to Lowell, Mass., in 1831,
was employed in a cotton-mill, and became an overseer. About 1837 he married
Hannah M. DOWNER, of Thetford, Vt., and settled in Mansfield, now a part
of Stowe, Vt., where he cleared a farm and built a set of buildings, in
which he resided about seven years. He subsequently lived in Stowe and
Elmore, and eventually settled in Worcester, where he now resides. He held
town offices in Mansfield and Worcester. Two of his six children died in
infancy, a son died in the service of his country in the late war, his
son, G. P. MOORE, and his daughter, Mrs. Ellen E., widow of A. A. GOULD,
reside with him, and Mrs. Ella M., whose husband, F. P. MORSE, was accidentally
killed in September, 1888, resides in Worcester.
Warren ELLIS, son of Ira and Sally (COLLER) ELLIS, was born in Calais;
April 12, 1840. When he was about twenty-two years of age he married Lucina
GOODELL, of his native town. Their children are Mrs. Chauncey GOULD, of
East Montpelier, and Mrs. E. M. COUGHLIN, of Maine. In the war for the
Union Mr. ELLIS enlisted in Co. E, 17th Vt. Vols., and served to the close
of the war. He then returned to his family and farm in Worcester, where
he has since lived, and has given his attention to farming.
Albert WHEELOCK, son of Abiah and Sophronia (GOVE) WHEELOCK, was
born in East Montpelier, March 20, 1836. When he was about three years
old his parents moved to the farm where he now lives, in Worcester. In
the late war he was drafted into Co. H, 6th Vt. Regt., and served until
the war closed, when he returned to his home. December 7, 1873, he married
Ann C. HOYT, of Montpelier, and settled on the homestead, which he helped
with the others of the family to clear and make a home. His father died
March 8, 1877, aged sixty-eight years. His mother still survives at the
age of seventy-eight years, and resides at the old home with him. Mr. ELLIS
is one of the reliable citizens of Worcester. '
Aaron KEMP, as near as can now be ascertained, was born in Fitchburgh,
Mass., in 1779. His father emigrated from Birmingham, England. Aaron married
Dolly ALLEN and settled in Acworth, N. H., where he lived until after the
birth of all of his twelve children; then, with a company of colonists,
he emigrated to Hampshire hill, in the town of Worcester, and settled on
an unimproved farm. His son Phineas A. was born in Acworth, N. H., December
18, 1815, and settled on Hampshire hill in 1840. October 13, 1840, he married
Betsey BLANCHARD, and they were blessed with five children, three of whom
are living, viz.: Dr. Dean G. KEMP, a practicing physician, and Harlan
KEMP, attorney at law, of the firm of Senter & Kemp, both residing
in Montpelier; and their daughter, Lanette A. (Mrs. L. A. FLINT), of Middlesex.
Mr. KEMP is a prominent citizen of Worcester, and has been honored by his
townsmen with the most important offices in their gift, the duties of which
he has faithfully discharged. He represented his town in the legislature
in 1853, and again in 1869 and 1870.
Dr. Chauncey N. HUNT, son of Chauncey and Linda HUNT, was born in
Worcester, April 17, 1851. Dr. HUNT spent his boyhood on his father's farm,
and had the customary three months in the common school in winter, and
sufficient exercise at hard labor the remaining nine months of each year.
He received his academic education at the Methodist Seminary at Montpelier,
and his professional education at Dartmouth College and the University
of Vermont, where he graduated in 1875. He immediately commenced the practice
of his profession in his native town, where he continues at the present
time (1888). As an evidence of the Doctor's skill and popularity he has
built up an extensive practice, which extends over his own town, and into
several adjacent towns. September 23, 1875, he married Jennie F. EMERY,
of Worcester, who was an efficient teacher, and is now his able helpmate.
They have two daughters and a son, viz.: Bernice Maud, Chauncey Earl, and
Claribel. Dr. HUNT has held several offices of trust, and represented Worcester
in the legislature in 1880.
James M. GOULD, son of James and Clarissa (CULVER) GOULD, was born
in East Montpelier, September 14, 1323. His parents had born to them nine
children who lived to mature age, and one who died in childhood. In May,
1851, he married Phebe JONES, of East Montpelier, and in 1853 settled on
the farm where he now lives, in Worcester. His failing health and approaching
old age has compelled him to sell his farm. Mr. GOULD is honest and upright,
and has served his town as selectman some years.
Mark P. LADD married Harriet B. HILDRETH, of Richmond, Vt., and
settled in Worcester. He was a prominent man in Worcester, and was highly
respected by all who knew him. He died August 9, 1867. Mr. and Mrs. LADD
were parents of six children, four of whom are now living. Their son, C.
M. LADD, acquired a business education in the common schools of Worcester.
He was born in town, in March, 1848, and at the age of twenty-one years
married Ella S. Bruce. They have a daughter, Millie E., born June 9, 1872,
and a son, Mark P., born April 22, 1878. Mr. LADD is the proprietor of
a saw-mill and grist-mill, is an extensive manufacturer and dealer in lumber,
and also deals in grain, flour, feed, and groceries. He is interested in
the welfare of his town and in the society of his village. He has served
in some of the town offices.
Charles C. ABBOTT was born in Thetford, Vt., July 27, 1831, and
died in Worcester, February 18, 1881. He was a son of Daniel and Hannah
CLOSSON ABBOTT. He came to Worcester with his father's family in 1848.
In 1852 he married Maria E. LADD, who, with seven children, survives him.
held many offices in town; was postmaster the last twenty years of his
life, town clerk fifteen years, and a member of the Congregational church
twenty-five years. He was charitable to all, and adopted the system of
giving the tenth of his small income for the support of the gospel, and
for benevolent purposes.
Selden WILLEY, son of Hubbard and Lucy (MEAD) WILLEY, was born in
Middlesex, Vt., August 14, 1825, and is one of thirteen children, all of
whom lived to mature age. He spent the years of his minority, like other
farmers’ boys, in attendance at the common school and at work on the farm.
At the age of seventeen years he had the misfortune to fall upon a pitchfork.
The tines penetrated his side, and from this injury he has never fully
recovered. When he was thirty-five years of age he married M. Sophia WIGGINS,
of Middlesex, daughter of Rufus and Rosella (LEWIS) WIGGINS. He was a mason
about sixteen years of his early life, which he gave up in consequence
of his infirmity, and since then he has been a farmer, and fairly successful.
Mr. WILLEY is highly respected, and is a worthy citizen of Worcester.
M.P. WHEELER, son of Artemas and Sarah WHEELER, was born in Weathersfield,
Vt., April 17, 1831. About 1854 he came to Montpelier and engaged in the
lumber business, which he still continues. In 1860 he settled in Worcester,
and built his present fine mills. In 1879 he married Mrs. Maria C., widow
of Augustus MORSE, of Calais. Mr. WHEELER is an energetic business man,
and in addition to giving his attention to his own affairs has served his
town in several important positions. He has been chairman of the board
of selectmen several years, held that office in war time, and aided in
recruiting to fill the quota of his town.
Ira HOLMES, son of Stephen and Lucy (CARR) HOLMES, born in Milton,
Vt., July 18, 1836, moved to Woodbury with his father when he was a small
boy.He resided there and in Montpelier until 1861, when he responded to
the call of his country, enlisted in Co. E, 8th Vt. Regt., went to the
front, and was taken prisoner September 4, 1862. After he rejoined his
company he received a gun-shot wound, and was finally discharged in June,
1864. About 1866 he settled in Worcester, where he has since been engaged
in farming. He married Medora GALLUP, of Barnston, Conn., and they are
parents of an only daughter. Mr. HOLMES is a reliable citizen and a good
A.J. STONE, son of Erastus and Lucy (BURR) STONE, was born in Cornish,
N. H., October 13, 1845, and came to Worcester about 1864. He married Mary
HARDY and settled where he now lives. Their union has been blessed with
three children. Mr. STONE enlisted in Co. H, 6th Vt. Vols., served the
term of enlistment, and reenlisted in Co. H, 13th Vt. Vols., served another
term, and then returned to his family in Worcester. He is a very prominent
man in his town, and takes an active interest in all its affairs. He is
one of the board of selectmen, a notary public, and represented Worcester
in the session of the legislature of 1888.
Joseph TOWN, son of Elisha and Nancy (LAWSON) TOWN, was born in
Montpelier, October 26, 1816. He resided with his father until he was twenty-one
years old, then learned the trade of wheelwright, of his brother Daniel,
and followed it as a business fifteen years. He then followed farming in
East Montpelier and Montpelier until about 1868, when he moved from Montpelier
to the farm in Worcester where he now resides. At the age of thirty-two
years he married Mary Ann CUMMINGS, of East Montpelier. Their union has
been blessed with four children, viz.: Martha A., born March 9, 1851; Clara
E., born July 10, 1853; Elisha L., born October 7, 1855, who died April
22, 1885; and Laura A., born February 24, 1863. Martha A. is the wife of
J. P. FLINT, of Middlesex. Clara E. is the wife of George E. FENN. They
reside on the farm with her father and Laura, who is unmarried. Mr. TOWN
has been an industrious hard worker, and has earned for himself a high
reputation for honesty, integrity, and fair dealing.
None of the settlers of Worcester, as far as can be ascertained,
participated in the Revolutionary war, and none went from the town to the
War of 1812; but several who served in it afterward settled in Worcester.
Samuel KELLEY, Samuel ANDREWS, Matthias FOLSOM, Joel H. TEMPLETON, and
Jasper STODDARD are known to have been of the number, and there may have
In the war for the Union Worcester furnished eighty-six men, who
went to the front and did service in the suppression of the Rebellion.
Five were killed in battle or died of wounds received in action, six died
of diseases, two who were drafted paid commutation, and two deserted.
First Congregational Church
The First Congregational church of Worcester is located in Worcester
village. It was organized February 29, 1824 by Rev. James HOBART, of Berlin,
and consisted of twelve members at its organization. From this time Rev.
Mr. HOBART and Rev. Chester WRIGHT preached occasionally, as also did Rev.
George FREEMAN, Rev. Mr. STEWART, Rev. Mr. THOMPSON, and Rev. Mr. WHEELOCK,
until November 13, 1839, when their first pastor, Rev. John FOSTER, was
installed. They erected their first house of worship, of wood, in 1846,
which they now occupy. It has a seating capacity for 200 persons, and is
valued, with the grounds and all other church property, at $1,500. The
church now has forty-eight members, and Rev. Philo H. CARPENTER is their
pastor. The Sunday-school has sixty members; and an average attendance
Methodist Episcopal Church
The first Methodist Episcopal church society was organized in 1848,
with the corporate name of "Methodist Episcopal society," with a constitution
and by-laws. Their first house of worship was erected, of wood, about one
mile north of Worcester Corner. The organizers of this society were A.
M. KELLEY, Orismon HANCOCK, Amos RICE, Leonard HAMBLET, Daniel A. FROST,
John CLARK, David HANCOCK, Alexander DINGWALL, 1st, Alexander DINGWALL,
2d, Abel WHITNEY, Aaron KEMP, John BRIGHAM, Milton BROWN, David L. FROST,
William COOPER, Ferris LEONARD, and Dennis CHILD. The first preacher's
name found on record is Rev. Harvey GURNSEY, who preached in 1846 and '47,
before the formal organization of the society. The first preacher after
the organization was Rev. Sumner TARBELL. The present house of worship
was erected of wood in the summer of 1887, at Worcester Corner. The church
has comfortable seatls for 250 persons. The value of all church property,
including buildings and grounds, is $3,500. The present membership is ninety-six,
and Rev. David C. FLETCHER is their pastor. He is a native of Rochester,
Vt., a graduate of Vermont Methodist Seminary, and in the third year on
this charge. The Sunday-school was organized January 8, 1888, and has an
average attendance of forty.
Of Washington County, Vt. 1783-1899,
and Published by Hamilton Child,
By William Adams.
Journal Company, Printers and Binders.
N. Y.; April, 1889.
by Karima Allison, 2003
Business Directory of the Town of Worcester, Washington County, VT., 1883–1884