lies in the northeastern corner of the county, in latitude 44° 26'
and longitude 4° 35', and is bounded northerly by Hardwick in Caledonia
county, easterly by Cabot, southerly by Calais, and westerly by Elmore
in Lamoille county. It was chartered August 16, 1781, by the legislature
of Vermont, to Col. Ebenezer WOOD, William LYMAN, Esq., and sixty associates.
The first action of the original proprietors was to divide the township
into three sections, and these sections were ultimately divided into 224
lots, each lot containing 100 acres.
As a township its territory is decidedly rough and mountainous.
A mountain range extends entirely across the western part, and at its base
on the western slope are many fertile farms, the most productive in the
township. The balance of arable land is mainly in the southern half of
the town, while a large portion containing the mountain region is unfit
for cultivation. From the fact that the water flows towards every point
of the compass, from Woodbury, and that none flows into it, there can be
no large streams in this township, yet it is well watered by numerous streams
and twenty-three natural ponds -- the greatest number of any town in Vermont.
Woodbury, with its rough, rocky hills and mountains, commanding
views of varied scenery; sparkling rills and brooks, and shimmering lakelets,
offers rare inducement to the tourist and a quiet retreat to the citizen
of the city during the heated season.
The rocks that form the geological structure of this town are calciferous
mica schist, which occupies about two-thirds of the town in the eastern
part, and next a broad belt of clay slate and talcose schist in the western
part. There is a belt of excellent granite that extends through the calciferous
mica schist in the southeastern part.
In 1880 Woodbury had a population of 856. In 1888 it had ten school
districts and as many common schools, attended by 195 scholars, and fifteen
attended private schools. The common schools were taught by five male and
fifteen female teachers, at an average weekly salary of $6.35 for the former
and $4.21 for the latter. The entire income for school purposes was $1246.11,
and the amount expended for all school purposes was $1,539.43. R. F. DRENAN
The first settlement in Woodbury was made, as near as can now be
ascertained, in 1795 or '96, by Gideon SABIN, who located in the eastern
part of the town, near where P. LYFORD and Mr. RIDEOUT now live. Mr. SABIN
was followed in the same year by Joseph CARR, and soon after by William
Judge F. C. PUTNAM gives the following list of the first twelve
settlers: Gideon SABIN, Joseph CARR, William WEST, Benjamin AINSWORTH,
John BETTIS, Ephraim AINSWORTH, Thomas AINSWORTH, Ezekiel BALL, Daniel
RUGG, Ferdinand PERRY, Daniel SMITH and Samuel MACKRES.
The first town meeting on record was held March 4, 1806. Samuel
MACKRES was the moderator; William WEST, town clerk and treasurer; Samuel
MACKRES, Joshua KENASTON, and Smith AINSWORTH, selectmen; Benjamin AINSWORTH,
constable; David RUGG, Joshua KENASTON and Smith AINSWORTH, listers.
The first child born in town was Polly SABIN, and the first male
child was Timothy THOMAS. The next was Peter SABIN. The first death was
an infant child of Gideon SABIN. The first adult who died in town was the
wife of Ezekiel BALL. The first marriage was that of John Thomas and Ruamy
AINSWORTH. The ceremony was performed by William WEST. The first school
was taught in 1808, by Sally WHITE. Anthony BURGESS built a saw-mill in
1806 on the outlet of Dog pond. In 1818 Phineas DOW built a grist-mill
near the center of the town. The town was first represented in the state
legislature by Elisha BENJAMIN, in 1812.
In accordance with a petition of the inhabitants of Woodbury the
legislature changed the name of Woodbury to Monroe, November 6, 1838, and
again to Woodbury about four years after.
This is the manner in which the town dealt out justice to one quality
of petty larceny. We copy from the town records:
Oct. 5th, 1809
David CARR, son of Joseph and Mary CARR, now in court, pleads guilty to
the indictment: It is, therefore, ordered and adjudged that he be taken
forthwith to a suitable place, and there be tied up and receive ten stripes
on his naked back, and pay cost of prosecution; and that he be recorded
in the town records a thief. And it was done on the same day and date above
Wm. WEST, Town Clerk"
Gideon SABIN, the first settler of Woodbury, is represented as a
preacher, hunter, and farmer, and possessing ability in each of his callings.
Hunting seemed his delight, and he was seldom seen off his farm without
his trusty gun and faithful hounds. At the time he settled in Woodbury
all about the numerous ponds and streams was an abundance of game, -- deer,
bears, beaver, otter, and sable. The Indian, Capt. JOE, from Newbury, was
often hunting on these favorite grounds. One son and several grandchildren
of this pioneer are among the inhabitants of the town. Frederick AINSWORTH
was one of the first settlers of Woodbury. He settled on the farm where
his grandson, Allen AINSWORTH, now live, and cleared up the faun. Mr. Ainsworth
had been preceded by a few other settlers.
WOODBURY (p. o.) is a hamlet situated a little south of the geographical
center of the town, on Kingsbury Branch. It contains the town house, a
hotel, one store, and about a dozen houses.
SOUTH WOODBURY, about two miles south of Woodbury, on Kingsbury
Branch, has a post-office, store, Congregational church, a grist-mill,
saw-mill, carriage shop, blacksmith shop, and about twenty dwellings, several
of which are open for summer boarders.
The production of granite, of which Woodbury has an inexhaustible
quantity, is now in its infancy, and only awaits a railroad to become an
The Woodbury Granite Co. was organized and commenced business in
the fall of 1878. The members of the firm are L. W. VOODRY and H. W. TOWN.
This enterprise is under the supervision of Mr. VOODRY. Their quarry is
located about one and a half miles east of Woodbury Center, and one mile
from the proposed railroad from Marshfield to Hardwick. Their purchase
covers an area of twenty-five acres, and all solid granite, which is a
choice quality of gray color, especially adapted for monumental work and
building purposes. The granite contains no black knots or iron. The formation
is peculiarly and especially favorable to moving enormous sized blocks.
The largest ever known to have been quarried was taken out here, and was
275 feet long by fifteen feet square. Two hundred feet in length of this
mammoth mass was moved a distance of forty feet by a single blast; after
it was split from the quarry. The company is doing a wholesale business
with manufacturers, and is sending its products to parties in this and
adjacent states, and largely to the far West. The quality of the granite,
and the certainty of obtaining any size and form required, insures this
enterprise to become one of the great industries of Washington county.
The J. AINSWORTH quarry, opened about 1876, is now operated by the
St. Johnsbury Granite Co. The quality is good and easily worked, and takes
a good polish.
Samuel DANIELS's grist-mill is located in the hamlet of South Woodbury,
is run by power-water, and contains four runs of stones. He does custom
grinding, and grinds corn and feed for market. The mill has a capacity
of 300 bushels per day.
BALL & DANIELS's saw-mill, located at South Woodbury, runs by
waterpower, and does custom work.
H.P. RIDEOUT's steam saw-mills are situated in the eastern part
of the town, on road 32. Mr. RIDEOUT manufactures hard and soft wood lumber,
chair stock, spruce and fir shingles, and finishes and deals in furniture.
A.A. CLARK's circular board-mill is located on Dog Pond brook, road
23, where he saws lumber for customers and for the trade.
Nichols Pond saw-mill, situated in the northeastern corner of Woodbury,
on the outlet of Nichols pond, Heman H. CARR, proprietor, manufactures
hard wood, spruce, hemlock, and dimension lumber, and also dresses lumber.
It has East Long pond for a reservoir, and produces 1,000,000 feet annually.
A.H. NICHOLS's saw-mill, on West Long Pond brook, road 17, has a
circular saw and a planer. The water-power is good, with a head of twenty-one
feet, and cuts out annually from 300,000 to 500,000 feet of lumber.
Elisha BENJAMIN was one of Woodbury's earliest pioneers. He came
from Marshfield, Vt., and settled on the center lot of the town, in a log
cabin, where he cleared his woodland farm of 100 acres. He was a man of
influence and integrity; was the first representative of Woodbury, and
held other town offices. His son Abner, born September 27,1790, married
Sally WHITEN, who was born January 9, 1790, and settled on a portion of
the homestead where he resided to the close of his life, May 29, 1858.
Mrs. BENJAMIN died April 3, 1848. Their children who attained mature age
were Betsey, born July 8, 1814, married Daniel HILL, and resides with her
husband in Marshfield. Samuel W., born March 7, 1816, married Maria FOSTER,
is a farmer in Woodbury, and has held most of the offices in the gift of
his townsmen. Phineas S., born July 31, 1818, married Esther BUNDY, settled
in Wolcott, was a thorough business man, and in the prosecution of his
extensive business as merchant and dealer in country produce he was much
of the time “on the road," but found time to serve his town and represented
Wolcott. several terms in the state legislature. He died March 29, 1881.
Sally, born July 1, 1820, married Ephraim AINSWORTH, and died January 8,
1877. Joseph, born January 28, I826, married Harriet K. FOSTER, of Calais,
and settled on the homestead with his parents, and provided for their comfort
in their declining years. He has also served his town as selectman and
lister five years, auditor, grand juror, and represented Woodbury in the
legislature in 1884. Cornelia M., born July 16, 1826, married Mark Bartlett,
of Plainfield, and died January 25, 1860. Elsie, born September 2, 1827,
married Peter WHEELER, a farmer in Marshfield. Thomas W., born August 25,
1829, married Maria KENASTON, of Woodbury, and removed to Hardwick, where
he died in November, 1884.
Ezekiel BALL, at the age of sixteen years, came to America from
England with his father. He was born in 1774. They settled in Boylston,
Mass., where he married and removed to Vermont. About 1800 he came to Woodbury,
and his was the sixth family in the town. He settled on the farm where
Mark P. GOODELL now resides, where he died June 12, 1836. His oldest son,
Calvin BALL, born in Boylston, Mass., May 19, 1795, was five years old
when the family came to Woodbury. He married Nancy LAKEMAN, of Peacham,
and settled in the woods where his daughter Augusta and her husband, Warren
GOODELL, now live. At the time he commenced clearing his farm the woods
were yet infested with bears, and these beasts made sad havoc with their
sheep and corn fields. At one time, when the bears were unusually destructive,
Mr. BALL loaded his gun, placed is near the path, with a string tied to
the lock and stretched to the opposite side of the path and secured. When
bruin came next time he ran against the string, which discharged the gun
and killed the bear. Mr. BALL died on this farm October 28, 1865. Mrs.
BALL died February 10, 1866. Their children are Eliza Ann (Mrs. Newell
MASON) and Augusta E. (Mrs. Warren B. GOODELL). John GOODELL, of English
descent, was born October 1, 1777. He came to Vermont, and was married
to Miss Sally WOODCOCK, of Marshfield, October 17, 1803, and settled first
in Calais. As near as can be ascertained he settled on East hill, in Woodbury,
in April, 1806. He moved his household goods from Marshfield on a hand
sled, over the snow crust, and occupied a log cabin. shingled with bark.
The first night he lodged in this wilderness home the winds were high,
and he was not able to sleep, fearing that the trees would fall on his
cabin and crush it. His first work in the morning (Sunday) was to fell
the trees in reach of the house and insure his safety. He died July 23,
1864, aged eighty-seven years. Mrs. GOODELL died August 1, 1847, aged sixty-two
years. They were parents of six sons and two daughters. Reuben C. GOODELL,
son of John, is a carpenter. He was born in Woodbury, April 22, 1811, and
has been twice married. January 3, 1843, he married Louisa BAILEY, the
mother of all his children, who died in Lyndon, Vt., November 10, 1859.
December 29, 1859, he married his present wife, Miss Amanda BOWEN. Charles
C. GOODELL, son of John, was born September 11, 1820. He married Miss Cynthia
CRISTY, and settled on the farm where he now lives. In early life he was
a millwright and carpenter. Mark P. GOODELL, son of Reuben C., was born
January 29, 1844, received an academic education, and is a farmer. February
25, 1868, he married Amelia BALL, and settled on the homestead of his wife's
father, where they now reside. Mr. GOODELL represented Woodbury in 1878,
and is now serving as first selectman. His brother, Warren B. GOODELL,
born August 5, 1846, is also a farmer, and has an academic education. December
25, 1867, he united in marriage with Augusta E., daughter of Calvin BALL,
and settled on the homestead of his wife's father, where they now reside.
Mr. GOODELL has been honored with the offices of trustee of the surplus
fund, constable, collector, and selectman.
Gideon BURNHAM, son of Gideon and Joanna (SKINNER) BURNHAM, married
Susannah STEVENS, and came to Woodbury from Dummerston, Vt., in 1809 or
1810, and with his brothers-in-law, Nehemiah and Nathan Jackson, settled
on the farm of 450 acres where his son Gideon now resides. They were the
first who settled on the west side of the mountain, whence he removed a
few years later, to a farm near the center of the town. He died at the
home of his daughter, Mrs. David POWERS, aged seventy years. His son Gideon,
before mentioned, is an enterprising farmer, and is conducting a butter
dairy of over forty cows, the largest in Woodbury.
James WHEELER, born in Rhode Island, November 6, 1785, married Hannah
ANDREWS, and came to Woodbury about 1806. He brought his wife, one child,
and their household goods on one load drawn by a pair of three year-old
steers from Plainfield, N. H., and settled in a log house on East hill.
He was captain of militia, and died in Woodbury, aged seventy-three years.
His son Benjamin resided in Woodbury, where he was born February 11, 1812,
until about 1853. He now resides at Kent's Corners, in Calais, on the farm
where Abijah WHEELOCK first settled, April 13, 1789. Benjamin WHEELER married
Luthera C. CRISTY, of Woodbury, December 28, 1839.
Aaron POWERS married Mary WATERS, came from New Hampshire to Woodbury
in 1812, and settled in the wilderness on the farm where his son David
now lives. This farm also contained the farm of Henry WHITEN adjoining.
Here he resided the remainder of his long life, and died aged eighty-eight
years. Mrs. POWERS died at the age of sixty-seven years. Twelve of their
fourteen children lived to adult age, and only three are now living, viz.:
Jonathan, who first settled in Elmore and now resides in Sheffield; Nancy
(Mrs. Henry UDALL), who resides in Elmore; and David, before mentioned,
who married Lydia BURNHAM, settled on the homestead where he was born,
and where he now resides. In 1863 he entered the Union army and served
to the close of the war. He was discharged an invalid, and has never regained
Daniel LAWSON and his wife, Ruth U. (NORCROSS), with their family,
came into the woods of Woodbury from Barre in the spring of 1818, and settled
on 300 acres of wild land which included the farm where his son Daniel
and grandson, George B. LAWSON, now live. This was their home to the close
of their lives. Daniel, their son, born in Barre, September 16, 1816, has
resided on the homestead since he came here in his childhood, in 1818,
and has carried on the double occupation of farmer and blacksmith. Norman
C. LAWSON, son of Daniel and Ruth LAWSON, was born July 5, 1839. He received
a common school education, and early learned the art of stonecutting. August
2, 1861, he enlisted in Co. H, 2d Regt. Vt. Vols.; went immediately to
the front; was engaged in fifteen battles and skirmishes, and received
a gun-shot wound in the seven days' fight under Gen. McClellan, before
Richmond; was again shot in his left foot at the battle of Chancellorsville;
was a prisoner five weeks in Libby and Belle Isle prisons; and was eventually
discharged from the First Invalid Corps, September 2, 1864, at the close
of his term of enlistment. He now receives a pension.
Peter LYFORD, who served in the War of 1812, was born in Sanbornton,
N. H., December 20, 1774, and came to Cabot with his parents at a very
early date. He married Lois BLANCHARD, of Cabot, and first settled on a
farm in that town. About 1815 he removed to Woodbury and settled in the
woods on the farm on Sabin pond, where Gideon SABIN now lives. He built
a log house and framed barn, cleared the farm, sold it, and then bought
another on East hill. He died at the home of his son Martin, December 10,
1861, aged eighty-seven years. Mrs. LYFORD, born March 19, 1791, survived
her husband until March 27, 1880, aged eighty-nine years. She also died
at the home of her son Martin. Mrs. LYFORD was large in stature and very
strong, and as energetic and brave as she was physically able. She came
on horseback from Concord, N. H., with her parents, at the early age of
fourteen years. She was a noted spinner and weaver, and manufactured the
cloth to clothe the family. Her hair was unusually luxuriant and heavy,
and grew rapidly, and from its "combings" she manufactured several clotheslines,
the aggregate length of all of which was more than 1,000 feet. She offered
to spin a rope of the same material with which to hang the arch traitor
Jeff. Davis. Mr. and Mrs. LYFORD reared ten children to mature age, viz.:
Dorcas, born April 17, 1811, married Alvah ELMER, is a widow, and resides
in Cabot; Mahetable R., born March 23, 1813, married Kendrick TROW, is
a widow, and resides in Marshfield; Aura, born May 21, 1815, died February
10, 1835; Sarah B., born July 26, 1820, married Daniel LAWSON, and resides
in Woodbury; Calvin, born January 4, 1.823, is a farmer in Hardwick; Peter
R., born August 29, 1825, who is a farmer in Woodbury, married Lovinia
SPRAGUE, whose mother, Polly (SABIN) SPRAGUE, was the first child born
in Woodbury. Their children are Ella E. (Mrs. H. C. EATON), who resides
in West Boylston, Mass.; Alice M. (Mrs. R. H. MARTIN), of Manchester, N.
H., who has a daughter Mabel E.; and Sherman H., who resides with his parents.
George W. LYFORD, born July 9, 1829, married Mary A. SPRAGUE, sister of
Mrs. Peter R. LYFORD. He is a farmer and resides in Cabot. Martin; born
March 27, 1832, married, first, Mary A. VOODRY, and second, Mrs. Ellen
(GALLUP) DANFORD, and is a farmer of Woodbury. Monroe LYFORD was born February
22, 1835. He entered in the service of his country in Co. C, 1st Vt. Cavalry,
served three years, was in the battles of Cedar Mountain, second Bull Run,
Antietam, and Culpepper, where he received a severe wound in his left shoulder,
September 13, 1863. He was in the hospital, off duty until the ensuing
March, when he returned to his company and participated in the battle of
the Wilderness. He was discharged November 19, 1864, at the expiration
of his term of enlistment. November 18, 1865, he married Lucretia LAIRD,
and is now a farmer in his native town, and serving as selectman.
Capt. David LYFORD was born in Cabot, January 10, 1796. About 1830
he came to Woodbury and engaged in farming. At the organization of a company
of Light Infantry he was chosen captain, hence his title. His grandfather,
Thomas LYFORD, a lieutenant in the Revolutionary war, emigrated to Cabot
from Gilmanton, N. H., and was one of the first of the pioneers. He built
the first grist-mill and saw-mill in Cabot.
Capt. John CHRISTY, of English descent, came to Woodbury about 1820.
He was born in St. Stephen's, New Brunswick, whence he emigrated to New
Boston, N. H., where he married Miss Lucy COLWELL, about 1812. He went
to Portsmouth about that time with a volunteer company, as their orderly
sergeant, and served three months. After the close of that war he emigrated
to Vermont and located first in Marshfield, and from there to Woodbury,
and settled in a log cabin on what is now known as a part of the Elias
HEATH farm. He soon after built a framed house, said to be the first one
erected in Woodbury. His lot contained a fine water-power, on Kingsbury
Branch, in the hamlet of South Woodbury, which he gave to Capt. Joel CELLEY
and his heirs as long as they would maintain a sawmill for the benefit
of the public. He became captain of the militia, and died January 23, 1866,
aged seventy-seven years.
Dr. Robert W. LANCE, son of John D. LANCE, late of Cabot, was born
May 28, 1848. Dr. LANCE received his medical education at the Homeopathic
College in New York, and at Hahnemann College, Chicago, Ill., from which
he graduated in 1879. In 1875 he commenced the practice of his profession
in South Woodbury, where he now resides, and where he has built up an extensive
and lucrative practice, not only in Woodbury, but in adjacent towns. February
17, 1886, he united in marriage with Miss Myrtie M. BALL.
Luke DANIELS, born, in Danville, Vt., April 20, 1802, married Maria
KENNISTON, of Woodbury, January 5, 1824. At the time of his marriage he
was residing in Woodbury. About 1840 he settled on the farm now owned by
his son Samuel. At this time there was a “chopping" on the place of twenty-
seven acres, and the remainder was woodland. Mr. DANIELS lived to convert
it into a good farm, where he resided until his death, June 14, 1871. Mrs.
DANIELS survived until February 27, 1874. Mr. DANIELS was an industrious,
honest, and reliable citizen. His son Samuel, born November 3, 1830, at
the age of twenty-one years assumed the debts against the farm, and supported
his parents to the close of their lives. On the anniversary of his thirtieth
birthday he united in marriage with Miss Ada A. DREW, of Barton, and remained
on the homestead, which he still owns, until the fall of 1882, when he
removed to South Woodbury, where he is engaged in his grist-mill, and the
manufacture and sale of lumber with E. E. BALL. Mr. DANIELS prefers a quiet
life, and gives his attention to his varied business, although he has served
his town as lister. Mr. and Mrs. DANIELS are parents of eight children.
Amos HOLT was born in Salem, Mass., October 31, 1783, and came to
Montpelier from Croydon, N. H., in 1802. Mr. HOLT was a millwright and
carpenter, and did an extensive business in Montpelier and surrounding
towns. January 1, 1805, he married Hopy HOWLAND, of Calais, daughter of
Abraham Howland, a pioneer. Mr. Holt died February 13, 1853, and Mrs. HOLT
in December, 1881. Their children were Amos, born September 4, 1806; Hopy,
born June 23, 1808; Mary, born June 10, 1810; Triphena B., born January
10, 1814; Emelia E. born September 2 1816; Samuel H., born July 6, 1819;
Nancy L., born March 9, 1822; Abraham H., born June 20, 1824; and David
C., born February 16, 1827. Abraham Howland HOLT received a common school
education. He married Martha L. TOWNSEND, of Berlin, April 19, 1847. He
had been foreman of a lumber company in Northern New York and of a gentleman's
farm in Massachusetts, and had other locations before 1862. He then entered
the Union army from Moretown, and was in the service of his country about
three years. He was wounded at Cold Harbor, and again, October 19, 1864,
at Cedar Creek, and was discharged from the hospital at Montpelier, May
13,1865. He now receives a pension for disabilities. In 1865 he bought
the homestead of Mrs. HOLT's father in Berlin, where he resided until 1871,
and was there honored with the offices of overseer of the poor, constable,
arid collector, and representative in 1770-71. In 1874 he came to Woodbury,
has held the office of lister nine years, and is now serving the third
year as overseer of the poor. He is proprietor of Lake View House and farm,
a beautiful location in the vicinity of Sabin and Nelson ponds. His house
is a celebrated summer resort.
Allen W. NELSON was born in Hardwick, August 3, 1826. In 1848, when
twenty-two years of age, he formed a partnership in mercantile business
with Hon. A. E. JEUDEVINE, at Woodbury, under the firm name of Jeudevine,
Nelson & Co., Mr. NELSON removing to Woodbury and assuming the management.
The firm continued until the fall of 1851, when Mr. NELSON, bought the
interests of his partners, and conducted the business until 1879. Mr. NELSON
has been an active and influential citizen of Woodbury, and has served
as town clerk and treasurer a period of twenty-four years. The town records
show skillful and good work during the long period of his clerkship. He
was also a lister for many years, and represented Woodbury in the legislature
in 1863, and again in 1864. He is now giving his attention to farming.
Caleb PUTNAM was born in Sutton, Mass., February 28, 1779, and in
his early childhood his parents removed to Croydon, N. H. In the early
part of 1799 he married Susanna HAYWARD, of Croydon, who was born in Bridgewater,
Mass., June 1, 1781. They resided in Croydon until January, 1803, when,
in company with Simeon DWINELL, with their families and effects, they emigrated
to Marshfield, Vt., where they arrived February 2, and settled in a log
house which they had previously built. Here he and Mr. DWINELL, in company,
began clearing a farm; but the partnership was not of long duration. Mr.
PUTNAM settled on another farm, was industrious, and to support his family
turned his hand to several occupations. He was a blacksmith and made nails
at his forge for his neighbors, hewed timber, and built barns. The last
part of the year of 1816 he settled in Moscow (East Calais), and for three
years gave his whole time to blacksmithing. He then bought a farm, to give
employment to his growing family, and to better support them. In 1831 he
removed to Woodbury, where he was farmer, blacksmith, and manufacturer
of potash. He died on the farm where his son, Hon. Fernando C. PUTNAM,
now lives, October 25, 1865, aged nearly eighty-seven years. Mrs. PUTNAM
survived until June 17, 1875, aged ninety-four years. They were parents
of thirteen children, eight of whom arrived at mature age, viz.: Susan,
born in Croydon, N. H., June 1, 1800, married Otis SMITH, is a widow, and
resides with her daughter, Mrs. William ZOTTMAN, in Burlington. Caleb S.,
born January 9, 1802, married, February 19, 1826, Elvira WHEELOCK, was
a farmer awhile, then the newspaper carrier from Montpelier, by way of
Hardwick, Burton, and intervening towns, to Derby Line, until the government
established a mail line over the same route, when he obtained the first
contract for carrying the mail. He drove a stage awhile, and eventually,
on the completion of the railroad from White River junction to Concord,
N. H., was. station agent at East Canaan, until his death, January 16,
1873. Ziba, born. November 29, 1804, married Harriet PEARCE, of Calais,
was a farmer in Calais and Woodbury until 1844, when he removed to a farm
in Colchester, where he died June 21, 1848.
Hiram PUTNAM was born in Marshfield in 1814. In 1839 he married
Laura, daughter of Jabez TOWN, of Woodbury, and was a farmer and blacksmith.
In 1864 he settled on the farm where he now lives, in the eastern part
of Woodbury. October 15, 1847, Mrs. PUTNAM died, and left a daughter who
married Hiram WELLS, a merchant in Cabot. April 19, 1848, Mr. PUTNAM married
Lydia A. HASKELL, who is the mother of his daughters Etta M. (Mrs. Orvis
W. CONNER), of Cabot, and Hattie B. (Mrs. Wesley GRAY), of Plainfield.
Mr. PUTNAM is an enterprising and well-to-do farmer, has served his town
as selectman thirteen years, was chairman of the board through the war,
has been lister fourteen years, and represented Woodbury in the legislature
in 1857 and 1858. He has settled a large number of estates.
Fernando C. PUTNAM, born in Marshfield, May 19, 1816, received his
education at the common schools and a few terms at a select school. He
taught district schools ten consecutive winters with but one exception.
December 8, 1842, he married Laura A., daughter of Luther BALL, of Woodbury,
and settled on the farm with his father where he now resides. He was assistant
judge of Washington .County Court in 1867-68, served as selectman from
1849 to 1852, inclusive, and state agent in connection with overseer of
the poor to provide for destitute soldiers' families in the time of the
late war, and has served as justice of the peace since 1852. Mrs. PUTNAM
died February 15, 1888, and had the misfortune to be blind the last six
years of her life. Their children are William R., who married Emeroy M.
CURRIER, of Calais, and is a well-to-do farmer in Cabot; and Sarah J.,
who married S. O. BURNHAM, and resides with her husband on the homestead.
Orson PUTNAM, who was born in Calais, September 16, 1818, is a blacksmith.
He ran a prosperous business in Woodbury until 1869, when he went to farming
in Calais, and was a farmer until 1882, and is now at the old trade in
North Calais. He represented Woodbury in the legislature of 1859-60, was
selectman in Calais in 1877, '78, and '79, and justice of the peace six
years. November 22, 1842, he married Emerancy PEARCE, and they have one
daughter, Mrs. Edwin BURNHAM, of Calais.
Laura A. PUTNAM, born in Calais, March 30, 1821, married Jason W.
TOWN, an inventor, and a manufacturer of boot-trees and lasts, but now
a farmer in South Woodbury.
Mary A. PUTMAN was born in Calais, June 2, 1823. In 1842 she married'
Gilbert A. CARVER, of Woodbury, who is a successful farmer in Calais. Their
only surviving son, Dr. Herbert S. CARVER, is a physician in Marshfield.
Thomas MCKNIGHT came from Douglass, Mass., to Montpelier, with Col.
Jacob DAVIS, in 1782. He was employed by Col. DAVIS awhile, and next `engaged
in butchering with Capt. BROWN. He then settled on the farm known as the
Cutler place, about a mile north of the village of Montpelier. About 1820
he moved to Calais, where he resided until his death, in 1836. In early
life he married Silence, daughter of Stephen CUTLER. Their children were
Polly, John, Sally, Amasa, Thomas, and Leonard. Amasa MCKNIGHT, born in
Montpelier, in 1803, married Recta KENDALL, in 1825, and settled on a farm
in Calais where Harvey LILLEY now lives. He owned several farms in Calais,
but eventually removed to Woodbury with his son Nathaniel C., in 1862,
where he died in 1871, aged sixty-eight years. Mrs. MCKNIGHT was drowned
with four others of a pleasure party in Wheelock pond, June 15, 1873, at
the age of seventy-one years. Their children are Samuel, born January 3,
1828; Nathaniel C., born September 25, 1830; Esther, born June 11, 1832;
Mary A., born March 6, 1835; Matilda A., born September 21, 1837; and Carroll
A. born March 1, 1840. All are now living (1888). Nathaniel C. MCKNIGHT
married Sarah A. FAIR, January 24, 1852, and settled in Calais, and followed
the occupation of carpenter and joiner until he removed to Woodbury, in
1862. Mr. MCKNIGHT has held the office of justice of the peace several
years, and represented Woodbury in the legislature of 1869, '70 and '71.
Their children are Orpha (Mrs. Warren AINSWORTH), of Calais, and Ida J.,
who resides with her parents. Carroll A. MCKNIGHT, son of Amasa, had a
common school education, and was early taught industrious habits. In 1863
he enlisted in the Union army, and was discharged in 1864 (at the expiration
of his term of enlistment) from the hospital where he was receiving treatment
for a gun-shot wound received at the battle of Cold Harbor. He was permanently
injured by this wound and now receives a pension. January 1, 1867, he united
in marriage with Miss Hannah OSGOOD, and settled in the village of Woodbury,
where he now resides. He is a carpenter and builder and farmer. He has
the confidence of his townsmen, is now serving his fourth year as justice
of the peace, and was representative in the legislature of 1880.
Ira CAMERON, son of Daniel, of Scotch descent, was born in Berlin,
Vt., December 25, 1807. He married Rebecca PIERCE, was a farmer in Duxbury
about twenty years, in Middlesex ten years, and on the farm now owned by
his son, S. K. CAMERON, in West Woodbury, seven years. Since then he has
had no settled residence, and now lives with his daughter Sarah (Mrs. E.
P. DARLING) in Elmore. Mrs. CAMERON died at the home of S. K. CAMERON,
June 8, 1871. Five of their patriotic sons served their country in the
Union army. Their children were Clesson, a farmer, who married, first.
Clara C. DUGAR, of Worcester, and second, her sister Emily. He enlisted
in, the Union army from Elmore, where he then resided. He received a gunshot
wound, and died on the battlefield of Winchester. Ira C. CAMERON married
Cordelia Leonard, of Middlesex, entered the service of the Union, in 1862,
and served to the close of the war. He is now a farmer in Berlin. Sylvester
CAMERON married Helen WARREN, of Middlesex, enlisted in 1862, served to
the close of the war. He is now engaged in granite work in Barre.
S. Kimball CAMERON, born in Duxbury, September 7, 1837, married
Laura A. MCKNIGHT, of Calais, December 29, 1874. He brought his bride to
his home in West Woodbury, where he had settled in 1863, and where he has
since resided. He is an enterprising and thrifty farmer, and owns a fine
farm. Previous to his settlement in Woodbury he had been three years in
railroad business in Brooklyn, N. Y. In 1874. Mr. CAMERON represented Woodbury
in the legislature, and again at the extra session in the winter of 1875,
called for the purpose of locating the State Reform School. He has served
his town as selectman four years, and lister about as many. Lovinia was
drowned at the age of eleven years, by falling into the river through the
railroad bridge at Montpelier Junction. Asaph P. CAMERON entered the army
in 1861, and served to the close of the war. He lost his health in the
service of our country, and is now a pensioner, residing in the village
of Worcester. He married the widow of his deceased brother, Clesson, in
1865. Jason C. CAMERON was also a Union soldier, enlisted in 1864, and
served to the close of the war in 1865. He married Sarah HARDY, of Brooklyn,
N. Y., where he now resides, and is superintendent of the Brooklyn City
Railroad Company. Sarah M. married E. P. DARLING. Her husband is a farmer
In Elmore. Alvin M. CAMERON married Lizzie PATTERSON, of Woodbury, and
.is a farmer in Calais.
Holden WILBER, of Bridgewater, Mass., was one of the early pioneers
of Calais. He was a Revolutionary soldier, and a citizen of Woodbury at
the time of his death. His son Reuben married Mary BRUCE, and settled in
a log cabin on East hill, Woodbury, where his son, Orange A. WILBER, now
lives. Mr. WILBER died at the home of his son Reuben, Jr., in Calais, in
1874, at the advanced age of ninety years.
Ryland F. DRENAN, son of James and Clarissa (BILL) DRENAN, was born
August 17, 1847. He received a good practical education, and February 11,
1875, united in marriage with Miss Dora M., daughter of A. W. NELSON. In
1884 he became a prominent resident of Woodbury. He is a farmer and proprietor
of Woodbury Center Hotel. Mr. DRENAN has been honored in Woodbury with
the office of superintendent of schools the past two years. Is now constable
and collector (1888), and represented Woodbury in the legislature of 1886.
Gilman BILL, son of Cyrus BILL, born in Woodbury, April 10, 1822,
married Rosannah AINSWORTH, January 1, 1849, and settled where he now lives,
near the village of Woodbury. His father died when Mr. BILL was only five
years old, and when he went to housekeeping soon after his marriage he
took his mother to his home and provided for her comfort the reminder of
her life. Mr. BILL has been a farmer his whole life, except about seven
years before his marriage, when he was a sailor.
Three veterans of the Revolutionary war settled in Woodbury, and
were comfortable in their declining years by receiving a pension from the
government they fought to establish.
In the late war Woodbury claims, and is justly entitled to, an excellent
and honorable war record. One hundred and forty-four of her patriotic suns
enlisted and went into the army -- a number that more than filled her quota,
who came forward without being stimulated by public meetings, or the offer
of excessive bounties. No town in the state, with a population as small,
sent more men to the war than Woodbury.
The Congregational church, located at South Woodbury, was organized
November 30, 1875, with thirty-two members, by Rev. R. B. WRIGHT, the first
pastor, assisted by the Home Missionary society. In 1876 the society erected
its present beautiful church edifice, of wood, at the expense of $3,000.
The church now has a membership of forty, with Rev. F. B. ROCKWOOD, pastor.
The estimated value of the church property, including buildings and grounds,
is $4,500. The Sunday-school numbers twenty-five scholars, and G. W FOSTER
is the superintendent.
Methodist Episcopal Church
The Methodist Episcopal church of Woodbury was organized in April,
1879, by Rev. W. D. MALCOLM, presiding elder of St. Johnsbury district,
assisted by Rev. Z. B. WHEELER. The church then had seventeen members.
Rev. Z. B. WHEELER was the first pastor. This society has no church edifice,
but bolds regular service every Sunday in the town hall at Woodbury Center
The church now has twenty-eight members, and Rev. Z. B. WHEELER is their
pastor. The Sunday-school is held immediately after the service, and has
an average attendance of thirty-five scholars. Rev. Z. B. WHEELER is superintendent.
Of Washington County, Vt. 1783-1899,
and Published by Hamilton Child,
By William Adams.
Journal Company, Printers and Binders.
N. Y.; April, 1889.
by Karima Allison, 2003
Business Directory of the Town of Woodbury, Washington County, VT., 1883–1884