Mountain in the north-easterly part of the town is a considerable elevation,
and affords inexhaustible quantities of granite for building stone.
The timber is chiefly hard wood, except along the streams, where it is
spruce, hemlock, cedar, pine and fir. The soil in some parts of the
town, particularly on the heights, is rather cold and wet; in other parts
and on the streams it is rich and productive.
principal stream of water is Jail Branch. Coming from Washington,
it receives a considerable stream from the north, called Cold Branch; and
then passes into Barre. Orange possesses a large and valuable water power.
North by a part of Plainfield, Goshen, Harris’ Gore and Groton, east by
Topsham, south by a part of Corinth and Washington, and west by Barre.
Settlers. The first settlement was commenced by Ensign Joseph Williams
in 1793 on the south line of the town.
Minister. The Rev. Enos Bliss was settled over the Congregational
Church in 1799.
Twelve miles south-east from Montpelier, and twelve north from Chelsea.
of Vermont, by John Hayward, 1849, p. 95-96)