XX indexVermont  




Glover lies in the southeastern part of the county, in lat. 44º 40', and long. 4º 45', bounded northeasterly by Barton, southeasterly by Sheffield, in Caledonia county, southwesterly by Greensboro, and northwesterly by Albany.  It contains an area of 23,040 acres, granted June 27, 1781, to Gen. John Glover and his associates, and was chartered November 20, 1783.   Gen. Glover was a distinguished officer in the Revolutionary army, ranking as brigadier-general under Gen. Washington, having worked himself up to that position from the ranks. He was the son of Jonathan and Tabitha B. Glover, born at Salem, Mass., in 1732, and died at Marblehead, Mass., in 1797.  The people of Marblehead, where he passed a number of the years of his life, still venerate his name as a brave soldier and a good and worthy man. Thus this town which perpetuates his name was granted to him by congress as a reward for his distinguished military services. 

       The surface of the town is quite uneven, being broken into hills and valleys, making a very pleasing picture, but causing some inconvenience in cultivating the soil. The highest elevation is Black hill, a small mountain in the southern part. In the middle and western portions of the territory the soil is, in general, wet and cold, but very good for grazing purposes. Along the river it is dry and warm, and well adapted to the production of grains. The territory is well watered by the head branches of Barton river, and branches of the Passumpsic, Lamoille, and Black rivers, which have their sources here. Four ponds of considerable size also are found here, Parker pond, in the northern part, Stone's and Clark's pond, in the southern and central parts, and Sweeney pond in the western part. Another pond was located here previous to 1810, but took to itself not wings, as riches are said to sometimes do, but legs, and ran away, hence it has since been known as Runaway pond. The body of water was known as Long pond, situated in the southern part of the town, at an elevation of fourteen or fifteen hundred feet above the level of the sea, furnishing the head waters of the Lamoille river, and flowing south. It was nearly two miles in length and from one-half to three-quarters of a mile in width, and, excepting near the outlet, was very deep. About one hundred rods north of this pond was another body of water, having about half the area and about 150 feet lower, discharging its waters into Lake Memphremagog. For about five hundred yards from its southern extremity, Long pond was very narrow and the water not more than ten or fifteen feet deep, but it then made a sudden descent in its bed to a depth of one hundred feet or more, and opened rapidly to a breadth of half a mile, and then more gradually to three-quarters of a mile, the depth also increasing to 150 feet, in the broadest part, and did not diminish in depth till within a short distance of the northern extremity, where its width was about half a mile. 

       On the east and west the shores were bold, and rose into hills of considerable height. Between these hills, on the north end, was a plain of one or two acres, a few higher than the pond. This plain, perhaps twenty rods north of the pond, terminated in an abrupt descent of about one hundred feet, and then more gradually to Mud pond. The northern shore consisted of a narrow belt of sand and a bank of light sandy earth. Here had been formed a deposit, resembling frozen gravel, two or three inches in thickness, and extending into pond for five or six rods. This deposit formed the only solid barrier to waters - alone preventing them from descending into Mud pond. The bottom of Mud pond was a mass of thick, deep mud, which became very solid when dry. Barton river, its outlet, flowed very rapidly for two miles, through rough uneven territory, and then more gradually to Barton village, three miles further north.  The country was covered with an unbroken forest, except where grist and saw-mills, owned by a Mr. Wilson, had been erected. Some clearings had been commenced near the stream in Barton, and other mills had been erected some miles below on the stream, near Crystal lake. The stream where Wilson's mills stood was insufficient for turning the wheel during the dry season, and this inconvenience occasioned the proposal to cut a channel from Long pond toward Mud pond, and thus increase the volume water in the latter and the stream which flowed from it. 

       On June 6, 1810, the inhabitants of Glover and adjoining towns who were interested in the matter, assembled to the number of about sixty at Keene's Corners, and thence proceeded to the northern shore of Long pond and commenced digging a channel, through which was to flow the water considered necessary for the comfort of those residing on the banks of Barton river. The channel was commenced about three feet from the waters of the pond and descended to the point where the descent was rapid towards Mud pond. When all was ready the connection with the pond was effected by removing the barrier which had been left, and the water issued through the opening with only moderate force, but to the surprise of the workmen it did not follow the channel dug, but descended into the sand beneath. It appears they had not observed that under the deposit of “frozen gravel,” or hardpan, a species of quick sand, and the stream, sinking through the broken deposit, began to wash away the earth. In a short time so much sand was carried away, thereby weakening the hard pan, that the pressure of the water widened the channel into a deep gulf, down which a large stream rushed towards Mud pond. The workmen now becoming alarmed retreated to a safer distance from the constantly increasing stream, though some barely escaped. The waters having finally demolished the hard pan, which, with the quicksand had held them, rushed with an impetuous force towards Mud pond, tearing and destroying whatever impeded their progress, leaving but a yawning chasm and wide-spread desolation behind. In their course they excavated a channel nearly a quarter of a mile in width, and from eighty to one hundred feet in depth. With such rapidity did the immense body of water pursue its wild flight, that but a few moments elapsed before Long pond had entirely disappeared from its bed. Rushing down through Mud pond, tearing away part of its barrier, and gaining additional strength from its tributary waters, the torrent swept down the channel of Barton river, and made a rapid descent toward the meadow lands in Barton. Through all this distance it tore up the forest trees, and bore them onward as trophies of its power, while huge stones were moved from their places, and often carried for a great distance by the force of the deluge. So powerful was the force that after a course of seventeen miles a huge rock, estimated to weigh one hundred tons was moved several rods from its bed. 

       The path hollowed out by the waters was thirty or forty rods wide, and, in some places, from twenty to sixty feet deep. Not only were the mills swept away, with the mill-dams, but also the ground for many feet around, and even the bed of the river found a new channel for itself. As the mingled mass of water, sand, and timber reached the more level country, it expanded itself, but still marched onward in its devastating career, reaching Lake Memphremagog in about six hours. The largest trees were torn up, and in some places where clearings had been made, the torrent left them buried many feet deep in debris, so that for years they were unreclaimable; but as the alternate dry seasons came on, year after year, the debris decayed and was burned out, until they are now rich alluvial flats. Such is the history of Runaway pond. 

       The geological structure of Glover is composed almost entirely of rocks of the calciferous mica schist formation. In the central part, extending the whole length of the territory from north to south, is a narrow bed of hornblende schist, and in the extreme western portion there is a considerable bed of granite. Some iron ore has been discovered, and sulphur springs are common, also several beds of marl suitable for manufacture into lime. 

       In 1880, Glover had a population of 1066, and in 1882, was divided into ten school districts and contained eleven common schools, employing five male and sixteen female teachers, to whom was paid an aggregate salary of $1,198.00. There were 276 pupils attending common school, while the entire cost of the schools for the year, ending October 31st, was $1,517.27, with W. F. Clark, superintendent. 

       Glover, a post village located on the eastern part of the town, on Glover brook, contains two churches (Universalist and Congregational), one hotel, two stores, furniture shop, butter-tub manufactory and about twenty dwellings. 

       West Glover, a post village located in the northern part of the town, on the outlet of Parker pond, contains a church (Union), one store, a sawmills grist-mill, and about twenty dwellings. 

       E. Dwinell's cabinet shop, located on road 30, was built for a wheelwright shop in 1830. Joseph R. Dwinell, father of the present proprietor, converted it into a cabinet shop in 1849, and in 1854, J. Elmer Dwinell purchased the property. The machinery is operated by water-power. Mr. Dwinell employs four hands and manufactures all kinds of furniture. 

       C. S. Leonard's tub factory, located on road 30, was built by him in 1878, and run as a box factory until 1879, when he put in machinery for the manufacture of tubs.     He employs from two to five hands and manufactures about 12,000 tubs and 3,000 boxes annually. 

       L. H. Nye's tannery, located on road 30, was built in 1840, and purchased by Mr. Nye in 1844. He employs three hands and turns out about $5,000.00 worth of stock annually. 

       Martin Abbott's carriage factory, located at Glover, was originally built for a cloth dressing mill, and was purchased by Mr. Abbott in 1865, who does a general business in the manufacture of all kinds of carriages, wagons and sleighs. 

       Horace A. Whitney's saw, shingle and grist-mill, located on the outlet of Parker's pond, turns out 5,000 feet of lumber and 8,000 shingles per day. The grist-mill does custom work. 

       Eli B. Partridge, located on road 27, is engaged in distilling oils from cedar, hemlock, tansey, etc. 

       It was not until many years after its charter was granted that anything was done towards the settlement of the town.  In 1793, James Vance passed through the town on his way to Canada, and, it seems, became impressed with the idea that the soil was peculiarly rich and fertile, and that the town would make a very pleasing home for a pioneer.  Accordingly, some time after his journey, he purchased 160 acres in the northern part of the township, where his son, Samuel, now resides, upon which, in 1798, he commenced a settlement, opening the march of civilization and progress to the wilderness town. 

       Mr. Vance was then twenty-nine years of age, and came from Londonderry, N. H. He and his wife, Hannah Abbott, of Dracut, N. H., spent the remainder of their long lives here, leaving a numerous progeny in this and surrounding towns. Mr. Vance died November 26, 1864, aged ninety-five years. 

       Ralph Parker was the next settler. He came from New Haven, Vt., soon after Mr. Vance, and located at the southern extremity of Parker's pond, where he immediately opened a public house. Mr. Parker became the first town representative, and held other positions of trust. He was also agent for the sale of lands in the town, so became quite a prominent man among the settlers who came after him, and also quite popular. Mrs. Parker is described as a very superior woman, known and loved by the people far and wide. She died in August, 1811, her funeral sermon being preached by Rev. Salmon King, of Greensboro, from which sermon we learn that Mrs. Parker  "died in the thirty-fifth year of her age, leaving a disconsolate husband, four sons and two  daughters, and numerous, acquaintances to mourn her loss." One of these sons, Daniel Penfield Parker, was the first child born in the town. Soon after the death of his wife Mr. Parker removed to Rochester, New York. 

       Samuel Cook, the next settler, came during the year 1799, made a clearing, and brought his family on in March of the following year, the snow being four feet in depth. In 1805, he was elected captain of the first military company formed in the town. 

       Samuel Bean and Jonas Phillips also located here in 1800, so that it gave the town in that year a population of thirty-eight souls.  After this settlers came in more rapidly, so that in 1807, there were about seventy resident families, numbering about 250 individuals. Owing to the loss of the records it is impossible to give the early proceedings of the inhabitants. The first town meeting, however, was held not far from the year 1800, probably in 1803, the following persons being present: Ralph Parker, James Vance, Andrew Moore, John Conant, Asa Brown, and Levi Partridge.  Mr. Parker was the first justice of the peace and first representative, elected to the latter office in 1803. 

       Jonas Phillips came from Athol, Mass., and located on road 12, where he resided until his death, July 12, 1849. He reared a family of twelve children, seven of whom are now living. Hiram, the fourth child, born in 1808, has always resided here. He helped to build the first church in the town, and has seen the building of every house in the village, has held, nearly all of the important town offices, and has never been confined to the house on account of sickness. Samuel, the fifth child, born in 1812, is now a retired farmer. 

       Silas Wheeler, from Connecticut, came to this town about 1800, and settled upon the farm now owned by E. A. Norton, where he built a log house and resided a number of years. About 1812, he removed to the place now owned by Samuel Phillips. He died about 1860. His wife, Cloe, died a few years previous. Of their seven children, only Silas, Jr., and Ira are living. Silas, Jr., born December 13, 1810, resides at South Glover, and is prominent in local military affairs. He married Mary Parker and has seven children. Ira is a resident of Albany. 

       Benjamin Spaulding came from Plainfield, Vt., about 1810, and settled in the eastern part of Craftsbury, where he remained until his death. His son, Noah, married Phebe Pendell, of Saratoga, N. Y., and resided in Craftsbury about thirty years. He represented that town in the legislature, was a justice of the peace twenty-five years, and was known as one of the best school teachers in the county. He finally came to this town and died here at the age of eighty-three years. His wife died at the age of eighty-nine years. His brother, Benjamin M., now resides here, aged eighty-three years. 

       Ira Colburn came to Glover, from New Hampshire, in March, 1804. He reared a family of thirteen children, five of whom are now living, and died in 1861, aged seventy-nine years. His wife died in 1838 aged fifty-seven years. Luther Colburn was born in July, 1819 married Jane Scott, of St. Johnsbury, and has lived in the same school district fifty-eight years, never having been over thirty-three miles from his place of birth. He has a family of nine daughters. 

       Michael Ufford came to this town about the year 1800, married Marcia Nelson and reared four children, none of whom are living, and died in 1865. His only son, T. J. Ufford, married Sophia Cutler and had a family of five children, all of whom are living. He died in 1880. His widow resides with one of her sons at Barton village. 

       Nathan Norton, from Strafford, Vt., came here in 1803, and located on road 43, where he built the second frame house in the town and kept an hotel for a number of years. Nathan, Jr., the third of his nine children, ran the hotel several years after the death of his father, and died in 1865, aged seventy years. He held most of the town trusts, and reared seven children, three of whom settled in Glover, Elijah A., Dana, and Sarah W., the wife of Amos Clark. 

       Jonathan Movers came to Glover, from New Hampshire, at an early date, and located upon a farm in the western part of the town.  From there he removed to Canada, where he died in 1842. Only one of his five children, Peter, located here. He was born in 1795, and, in 1826, located upon the farm now owned by his daughter, Almira, where he died, in 1874, aged seventy-nine years. Almira was born in 1828. She had one brother, William, who died some years since. 

       Nathan Cutler, whose father was one of the earliest settlers in Craftsbury, came here from that town about 1800, and located on the farm now owned by his son, Charles. He died in 1828, aged forty-five years, having reared a family of six children, all but one of whom are living. Charles, the second son, born in 1810, has always been a resident of the town, excepting a few years spent in Barton. He has had a family of six children, two of whom, Emily H. (Mrs. David Baker), and Charles F., reside here. Henry Cutler, first son of Nathan, born in 1808, has been a resident of the town since 1851. 

       John Sherburne, from Canada, came to Glover in 1812, locating upon a farm in the central part of the town. He died in Sheffield at the age of eighty-two years. Two of his eight children settled in Glover. John, Jr., his third son, born in 1804, has always been a resident of the town, and five of his six children now reside here. 

       Noah Leonard, from Keene, N. H., came to Glover at an early date, locating at the village. He reared six children, four of whom settled in the town, and died in 1874, aged seventy-five years. Charles S., his second son, born in 1830, has always been a resident of the town.

       Zenas French, from Keene, N. H. with his father, Silas, located in Greensboro in 1804, on road 9.  Zenas was born in 1795, and in 1818, came to this town, locating upon the farm now owned by his second son, Lindol, and the following year built the house and barn now standing  thereon, the barn being the oldest in the town. Lindol is the only one of the fourteen children now residing in the town. He has held the office of selectman since 1875, and has eight children living. Lindol, the youngest son of Silas, born in 1802, lived in Glover from the time he was four years of age until his death, in 1880.  He held several of the town offices, among which that of representative a number of years.   Miss Amanda Frost, a descendent of the French family, lives in the first frame house built in the village. 

       Joseph Owen, a son of Hon. Daniel Owen, an ex-governor of Rhode Island, came to Barton at an early day to look after his father's interests in that and adjoining towns, and finally made a permanent settlement in this town. Mr. Owen became quite prominently identified with the public interests of the county, and seven of his children now live here. Philander, his second son, born in 1809, made it his home in Glover from early boyhood until his death, in 1882. He was engaged in farming and milling, and took an active part in the public affairs of the town and county. His father located in this town on account of the flooding of his Barton property by Run-away pond.  Clarence P., the only child of Philander, was born on the place he still owns in 1844. He has held the office of United States inspector of customs at Keokuk, Iowa, for two years. He has two children living at home. 

       Charles E. Graves, from Maine, came to Glover at an early date and located upon a farm in the Western part of the town, and finally located in the northern part, where he died, in 1844, aged sixty-five years. Four of his twelve children located in Glover. GeorgeW., one of his younger sons, born in 1823, has always resided here. Nathan E., the youngest of his five children, born in 1857, has resided here all his life. 

       Gabriel Patterson, a native of Scotland, came to Glover about sixty years ago, and, in 1825, located upon the place now owned by his son, John M.  He and his wife celebrated the fiftieth anniversary of their wedding day in 1875, and both are now living, enjoying excellent health. Seven of their ten children are living, and four, John M., Luther W., and Gabriel, Jr., own adjoining farms in Glover.   I. T. Patterson, another son, is the present sheriff of the county. 

       Joseph Bardwell, from Canada, located at an early date upon the farm now owned by his grandson, Edwin, where he died, in 1845, aged sixty-three years. Four of his seven children located in the town. 

       John Crane, a native of Tolland, Conn., came to Glover from Williamstown, with his family, in 1810, locating near road 33. One of his children was the first person buried in the cemetery on road 33.   Mrs. Mary E. Darling and Mrs. Lydia F. Dwinell are the only descendants of John living in the town. Mr. Crane was always known as "Squire Crane," having held the office of justice of the peace for many years. 

       Solomon Dwinell, from Keene, N.H., came to Glover in 1818, and located upon the farm now owned by his son Joseph and grandson Dwight J.  He held most of the town offices, and that of associate judge of the county court. Three of his family, Albert, Cornelia, and Joseph, now reside in the town. 

       Nathaniel Drew, from Wolfsboro, N.H., at the age of ten years came to Glover with his father, in 1818, locating upon the farm now owned by John O. Drew. Two of his seven children still reside here. 

       Cephas Clark came to Glover in 1816, and located upon a farm in what was long after known as the Clark neighborhood. Five of his eleven children still reside in the town. Cephas C., the second son, was seven years of age when his father came here, and remained a resident until his death, in 1869, aged sixty years. Ezra L., the youngest child of Cephas C., born here in 1855, married Addie A. Skinner, in May, 1880, and now resides on road 24. 

       William and Garvin Anderson, from Ayrshire, Scotland, came in 1820, and located in the western part of the town. Garvin now has a family of six children and owns one of the best farms n that part of the town. John Anderson, brother of Garvin, came in 1831, and has resided on the place he now occupies for forty years. 

       Isaac Drew, from Eton, N.H., came to Glover in 1820, locating in the central part of the town, where Mr. Norton now resides. Six of his eight children are living, five in Glover. Rufus L., the fourth child, born in 1835, now resides with his wife and three children on road 20.  He was engaged in mining in California seven years, and during the late war served in Co. D, 6th Regt. Vt. Vols. 

       Thomas Baker, from Keene, N. H., came here in 1821, locating in the northern part of the town on road 7, where he died in 1850, aged fifty-seven years. Two of his five children are living. David, the fourth child, born in 1830, has reared a family of eight children, and resided upon the farm he now occupies since 1868. 

       Samuel Day, from Acton, Me., came to Glover in 1828. He had a family of seven children, of whom Edward B., the eldest, born in 1850, resides on road 48. 

       E. Loomis Stanton, son of Harrison Stanton, who located in Barton about 1850, is now on road 25, manager of one of the largest stock-farms in the town. During the season Of 1882, he wintered 113 head of cattle. 

       William Halloway, a native of England, came to Glover in 1836. Two of his children now reside here. Edward, the oldest, has resided on the place he now occupies twenty-six years. 

       James Simonds, from Landoff, N. H., came to Glover village in 1833, and in company with his brother, Enoch B. Simonds, purchased the country store of Gray & Drew, the only one in the place. James was soon after elected town lister, which office he held thirty-four years; he also represented Glover in the legislature three terms, has been town clerk and treasurer twenty-eight years, only resigning in 1883, on account of failing health. He was chosen assistant county judge two terms, and has been a justice of the peace many years. When he came here Glover village consisted of a few dwellings, the Universalist church, a store, and small saw and grist-mill. 

       Arthur Gilmour, from Scotland, came to Glover in 1842. He married Elizabeth E. Miller and reared a family of eight children, six of whom now live at home with him.

      John Salmon, a native of Scotland, came to Glover in 1844, and located on road 20, where he resided until his death, October 16, 1881, aged sixty eight years. Six of his eleven children are now living in the town.  John, Jr., his second son, has resided here since five years of age.

       John Borland, from Ayrshire, Scotland, settled in the northwestern part of the town in 1849 and subsequently purchased the farm he now occupies, on road 12.  Mr. Borland had two sons, and has been a deacon of the Congregational church a number of years. 

       Lewis A. Chase was born in Westminster, Vt., January 20, 1818. When twelve years of age he removed with his father to St. Johnsbury, where he remained six years, and from that time, 1836 to 1843, he resided in different towns in Caledonia county. He then located in Barton, remained five years, then after an absence of two years, returned and bought the farm now owned by Asahel Buswell. After spending two years on this farm he sold out and purchased the place he now occupies, on road 17, in this town. He has a family of six children. One son, A. C., owns with him the farm of 320 acres. Another son, Bradford, is assistant secretary of Oberlin (O.) college. 

       Hon. Dr. Wilbur F. Templeton, a native of Sanborton, N. H., was born in 1836, graduated from the Eclectic Medical College, of New York city, of which he has since been for several years a trustee, and located in Glover in December, 1864, where he has since been engaged in the practice of his profession. The Vermont State Eclectic Medical Society has chosen him its president four successive years, and he has held various other offices in that organization. In 1876, '78, and '80, he represented the town in the legislature, and is now a State senator from Orleans county. 

       During the late war, Glover furnished ninety-five enlisted men, nineteen of whom were killed or died from wounds or disease contracted while in the service. The expense to the town for procuring men was $19,875.00, to which should be added $3,300.00 paid by eleven men for commutation, equaling $23,175.00. The close of the conflict, however, found Glover free from war debt. 

       The First Congregational church, located at Glover and West Glover, was organized July 12, 1817, by Rev. Samuel Goddard and Rev. Luther Leland, with sixteen members. Rev. Reuben Mason was the first pastor. In 1830, a church building was erected at Glover, and one in 1832 at West Glover. In 1853, the house at Glover was given up to other denominations and a new structure built there, while the expense of the West Glover building was partly borne by the Methodist society. The building at Glover will seat 300 persons, and the West Glover building 250 persons, the whole property being valued at $4,500. The society now has 104 members, with Rev. B. S. Adams, Pastor. 

      The Methodist Episcopal church located at Glover village, was organized as a station on the Craftsbury circuit in 1818 and as a separate charge in 1861. The society occupies a church at Glover in connection with the Congregational church, and also owns, in connection with other denominations, a. house at West Glover.  Rev. J. Thurston is pastor. 

       The Spiritualist Society of Glover village was organized by Lyman Darling, with thirty-three members, November 13, 1878. The society now has about the same number of members, with no regular preacher, their meetings being held in the Universalist church. 

       The First Universalist church, located at Glover village, was organized by John Crane, Warren Sartwell, Lindol French, Silas Wheeler and others, with twenty-five members, in 1833. A church building was erected during the same year, and was replaced by the present building in 1856, a wood structure capable of seating 250 persons and valued at $3,500. 

       John Crane came to Glover, from Williamstown, Vt., in 1810. He was a very zealous and earnest believer in the Universalist doctrine, and it was through his influence different ministers of the gospel visited the town and preached their doctrines, making their stay principally at his house. Rev. William Farwell preached the first Universalist sermon in town, and Revs. Babbitt, Loveland, Palmer, and Watson supplied occasionally for several years, after which believers were so numerous that they employed and settled a minister, Rev. I. W. Ford, who labored hard for the society, and cause of Christ during his stay of five years; was always blessed with a good choir leader, Joseph H. Dwinell, a fine tenor singer, and always at his post. In 1848, Rev. S. W. Squares was settled as pastor, and was succeeded by Rev. T. J. Tenney, in 1852, who finished his earthly pilgrimage here in 1855, having left memories behind precious in the hearts of many. 

       After him Rev. George Severance was settled as pastor for the term of fourteen years, with the exception of two years by Rev. A. Scott. The society was then destitute of a settled preacher from 1869 to 1876, when it was reorganized by Rev. W. E. Copeland, who remained one year. After him Rev. E. W. Pierce was engaged as pastor, remaining four years. He was a good, faithful, earnest worker, both in the society and Sabbath school. For the past year Rev. B. M. Tillotson has officiated a quarter of the time.   He is a very able man, one to whom all denominations like to listen, and he always has a large congregation. 

(Source: Gazetteer of Lamoille and Orleans Counties, VT.; 1883-1884, Compiled and Published by Hamilton Child; May 1887, Page  264-267)

This excerpt was provided by Tom Dunn.

1817 - 1858 ~  First and Original Record Book of the Congregational Church of Glover, Vermont
1883 - 1884  ~ Glover Business Directory
1926 - 1984 ~ Glover Town Reports: List of deaths