XX indexVermont  




Craftsbury lies in the southern part of the county, in lat. 44º 39', and long. 4º 32', bounded northeasterly by Albany, southeasterly by Greensboro, southwesterly by Wolcott, and northwesterly by Eden. lt contains an area of about six miles square, or 23,040 acres, granted by the State to Ebenezer Crafts, Timothy Newell, and sixty-two associates, November 6,1780, and chartered by the name of Minden, August 23, 1781. The name of Minden was retained until October 27, 1790, when it was altered to Craftsbury, in honor of Ebenezer Crafts the first settler in the county and one of the principal grantees. 

       The surface of the town is much broken into hills and valleys, though not to such an extent as to retard the cultivation of the soil, which varies from alluvial meadows to clay and gravel, there being almost as many grades and varieties of soil as there are farms in the township. Taken all in all, however, it is considered a good farming and dairying town, susceptible of producing good crops of all the grains and grasses indigenous to northern Vermont. The territory is well watered by numerous streams and ponds, there being five of the latter, as follows: Elligo, lying partly in Greensboro and partly in this town., It is about two miles long and half a mile wide, and has two outlets, one to the north and the other to the south. The northern outlet constitutes one of the head branches of Black river; the southern, after passing through Little Elligo pond, communicates with the Lamoille in Hardwick. The scenery about Elligo pond is romantic and beautiful. The eastern shore presents abrupt, and in some places, perpendicular rocks of considerable height, while the western rises gradually, and is covered with a luxurious growth of forest trees which contrast finely with the naked cliffs of the opposite shore. Near the center of the pond are two small islands. It was formerly a favorite hunting-ground of the St. Francis Indians, to whom is due its name, Elligo Scoloon, which is sometimes improperly written Elligo Scotland. The others are Great Hosmer, lying partly in Albany, Little Hosmer, and two other small ponds. Black river, having its source as above mentioned, forms, with its numerous tributaries, the principal water-course. It was called by the Indians Elligo-sigo. Its current is in general slow, the whole descent from its source to Lake Memphremagog, including the falls at Irasburgh and Coventry, being by actual survey only 190 feet, hence it affords but few good mill sites in its whole course. Wild branch, a tributary of the Lamoille, rises in Eden and flows through the western part of this township. The valley of Black river, in this town, is a muck bed averaging a quarter of a mile in width,  upon which is grown a great quantity of meadow-hay. Though Black river lacks mill privileges, the deficiency is made up in the other streams, where several good water-powers are found, a few of which are utilized by saw, grist, and other mills. Considerable timber is yet standing in the town, mostly spruce, maple, and beech, interspersed with elm and birch. The climate is delightful, the air being invigorating and healthful. 

       Geologically, the town varies in its structure to an unusual degree. In the eastern borders granite appears, then gneiss, then mica slate; and these, in the central portions, are displaced by argellaceous slate of a very dark or plumbago color, alternating with silicious limestone. The rocks on the west side of Black river are hardly more uniform; strata of mica slate, argellaceous, and chlorite slates, and limestones, give place to each other in rapid succession. Near Craftsbury village is an extensive body of gray granite, very much broken on the surface. This rock is filled with nodules of black mica and quartz, inconcentric lamina. These are about the size of butternuts, and, in many of the specimens, are so numerous that a hundred may be counted within a circle two feet in diameter. In some parts of the ledge these nodules are very much flattened, as if subjected to an immense vertical pressure when the mass was in a semi-fluid state. A rock similar to this, it is believed, has not been found in any other place in this country or in Europe. 

       In 1880, Craftsbury had a population of 1381, and in 1882, was divided into fourteen school districts and contained fourteen common schools, employing one male and twenty-two female teachers, to whom was paid an aggragate salary of $1,306.82. There were 299 pupils attending common school, while the entire cost of the schools for the year, ending October 31, was $2,445.69, with J. C.Taylor, superintendent. 

       Craftsbury, a post village located in the southern part of the town, is the most important settlement, although it is very young when compared with  “The Common,” as North Craftsbury is familiarly called. When quite a thriving settlement was flourishing at that point, the site of Craftsbury village was a dense, tangled forest. The first settlement was made in 1818.  It now contains one church (Methodist Episcopal), an hotel, four stores, a tinshop, blacksmith shop, grist-mill, saw-mill, sash and blind factory, a woolen factory, and about thirty dwellings. The Eagle Hotel, located on Main street, was built by Amasa Scott. After his removal the property was owned by different parties until 1864, when it came into the hands of I. T. Patterson, the present proprietor. As soon as he came into possession of the property he enlarged the building, adding another story, and refurnished it throughout in a neat and comfortable style. 

       North Craftsbury is a post village located near the central part of the town, on an elevated plain affording an extensive prospect. It is principally situated around an open square, forty rods north and south, by twenty-four rods east and  west, where all the general trainings were wont to be held  having been  donated to the town for that purpose, and from which the familiar term of  “The Common" is derived. The village has a history as old as the town itself, having been settled by the earliest pioneers, and was for many years the center of business and trade, not only for Craftsbury, but for Eden, Lowell, Albany, and portions of all the neighboring towns.

       Much historical lore that is of interest to Craftsbury people clusters about the old place, though the arrogance of its prosperous youth has passed to its younger neighbors.  Aside from its old-time business supremacy and its never-to-be-forgotten “training days,” all the public and religious meetings were held here; and it also enjoyed the dignity, in company with Browninton, of being the seat of the county government, for, until 1815, when Irasburgh became the shire town, the Orleans county courts were held alternately at Craftsbury and Brownington. The village now contains one church (Congregational), Craftsbury academy, one hotel, one store, a carriage shop, paint shop, blacksmith shop, and about twenty dwellings. The academy is situated at the right of and facing the common, a pleasant and desirable location for an institution of the kind. It was incorporated in October, 1829, with the advantage of the avails of half the grammar school lands in the county, amounting to about 2,600 acres. This land the institution leased for a number of years, but owing to mismanagement on the part of those in charge, it has lost control of a large portion of this public property. The first building was erected in 1832, a two-story brick structure, which, owing to poor workmanship in its construction, became, after a few years, unfit for school purposes, and, in 1868, was superseded by a wood structure. This building, together with most of the school furniture, was destroyed by fire in 1879. With the insurance money and the subscriptions of the townspeople the present building was soon after erected, a convenient, well arranged structure, designed to accommodate about eighty pupils. Since 1880, the school has been under the able charge of Mr. Leland E. Tupper, a graduate of the University of Vermont, assisted by an efficient corps of teachers.  Instruction is given in the classical and English courses, preparatory to college entrance. 

       East Craftsbury is a small post village located in the eastern part of the town, near the Greensboro line. It contains one church (Union), one store, a blacksmith shop, hulling-mill, and about a dozen dwellings. 

       Mill Village, is a hamlet located in the northern part of the town, on Hosmer pond. Its name was derived from the mills erected at this point early in the town's history, by Col. Crafts. It now contains a saw and grist-mill, a store, blacksmith shop, and half a dozen dwellings. A sub-postoffice is located here for distributing the mails sent from North Craftsbury. 

       Branch is a postoffice located in the western part of the town for the accommodation of the families in that section. This office was established March 25, 1883, with George Merrill, postmaster, the office being located at his house. 

       Garvin Aliston’s hulling-mill, located at Mill Village, was built by John Patterson in 1842. Mr. Patterson run the mill for a few years, when he was unfortunately caught in the machinery and killed. Thomas Moody then purchased and improved the property and put in new machinery, operating the mill until 1866, when it came into the hands of the present proprietor, who does a large and successful business. 

       John McRoy's blacksmith shop located on road 32, was built by Jerome Burdick in 1842, and came under the control of the present proprietor in 1879. 

       William P. Kaisers blacksmith shop, located on Main street, was established by Charles G. Doty in 1852, and was purchased by the present proprietor in 1872. 

       Jacob O. Douglass's blacksmith shop located at North Craftsbury, was built by the present proprietor in 1878. 

       I. & A. Kent's woolen mills, located on Black river, were built by James E. Burnham, in 1849, land are now operated by James Anderson, who employs ten workmen, producing from fifty to seventy-five yards of woolen cloth per day. 

       A. A. Randall's, grist and saw-mill, located on the outlet of Hosmer pond, near the site of the old mill built by Col. Crafts, was built by the Craftsbury Mill Co. in 1867, and was purchased by Mr. Randall in December, 1878. He does mostly custom work. 

       N. H. Kinney's sash and blind factory, located on road 38, was purchased by him in 1869. He now employs from four to seven men. In 1877, the entire works were destroyed by fire, involving a loss of over $4,000.00., During the following summer he built the present factory, a building 42 by 60 feet, three stories in height, and furnished it with new and improved machinery. Mr. Kinney has also on his farm a trout pond, or spawning bed, where he breeds brook trout for the New York and Boston markets. 

       A. C. Collins's saw-mill, located on road 11, was built by him in 1859. Mr. Collins employs from six to ten men and manufactures about 500,000 feet of lumber per annum. 
The first settlement in the town was made in the summer of 1788, by Col. Ebenezer Crafts, who opened a road from Cabot, eighteen miles, cleared during the summer ten or twelve acres of land where Mill Village now is, built a house and saw-mill, and made considerable preparation for a grist-mill.

       In the spring of 1789, Nathan Cutler and Robert Trumbull moved their families into the township. In the ensuing autumn Mr. Trumbull, by reason of the sickness of his family, went to Barnet to spend the winter, but Mr. Cutler's family remained through the season. Thus was begun the first settlement within the bounds of Orleans county. 

       In February, 179l, Col. Crafts, having previously erected a grist-mill and made considerable additions to his improvements, returned to the town with John Corey, Benjamin Jennings, Daniel Mason, John Babcock, and Mills Merrifield with their families, from Sturbridge, Mass. After arriving at Cabot, they found it impossible to proceed any further with their teams, on account of the great depth, of snow, it being about four feet deep. They were obliged to provide themselves with snow-shoes and draw the female members of the families on hand-sleds a distance of eighteen miles. These settlers were soon after followed by several other families from Sturbridge and other towns in Worcester county. 

       The town was organized in March, 1792, the meeting being held at the residence of Col. Crafts, who acted as moderator.  Samuel C. Crafts was elected clerk, and held the office until 1829; Ebenezer Crafts, Nathan Cutler and Nehemiah Lyon, selectmen; and Joseph Scott, constable. The first justice of the peace was Samuel R. Crafts, in 1792. The first representative was Ebenezer Crafts, elected the same year. The first freemen's meeting was held in September, of that year. The first child born was Betsey Cutler, August 22, 1791. The first physician was Dr. James Paddock. 

       Col. Ebenezer Crafts was born in Pomfret, September 3, 1740, and graduated from Yale college in 1759. At the commencement of the Revolutionary war he organized a company and joined the army at Cambridge in 1775. He was a man of great energy and firmness of character, and resided here until his death, May 24, 1810, aged seventy years. 

       Hon. Samuel C. Crafts, son of Ebenezer Crafts, was born in Woodstock, Conn., October 6, 1768, graduated from Harvard college, in July, 1759, and came to this town with his father.  In 1792, he was elected clerk of the town, which office he held by yearly elections until 1829, when he declined it, after having served the town faithfully for thirty-seven years.  In 1793, he was elected a member of the convention to revise the constitution of the State and in 1796, was elected a member of the legislature. The two following years he was chosen clerk of the same, and was subsequently elected to the legislature in 1800, 1801, 1803, and 1805.   From 1800 to 1810, he held the office of assistant judge of the county court, and after that time, till 1816 was chief judge. From 1807 to 1813, he was a member of the council of the State, and in 1816, was elected a member of the house of representatives in congress, being continued a member eight years. He was again elected to the State council, and also chief judge of the county court three years, and was then elected governor of the State, holding that office for 1829-‘30 and 1831.   In 1829, he was a member of the constitutional convention and was elected president of that body. Soon after retiring from the office of governor, he was appointed on a committee to decide on a place for the State House, the materials of which it should be built, etc.  In 1842, he was appointed by the executive committee of the State to a seat in the senate of the United States in place of Judge Prentiss, who had resigned. At the next meeting of the legislature he was elected by that body for the remainder of the term for which Judge Prentiss had been elected. He died November 19, 1853, aged eighty-five years. 

       Dr. James Paddock, from Massachusetts, came to Craftsbury in 1793, and after a course of medical lectures located at North Craftsbury, where he practiced until his death, in 1809, aged forty-four years.  He married Augusta Crafts, daughter of Col. Crafts, by whom he had two sons, James A. and William E.   William became a merchant and lived in the town until his death, in the summer of 1855. James A., born in 1798, graduated from the University of Vermont in 1823, studied law, and was admitted to the bar in 1825, remaining in practice in this town until his death, in 1867, aged sixty- nine years. He held most of the town offices, and was an assistant judge of the county court. In the earlier years of his life his health was not good, which prevented his taking the active part in public affairs that he otherwise would have done. He reared a family of four children, all of whom resided for a time in the town. The youngest, Augustus, born June 25, 1838, enlisted in Co. D., Vt. cavalry, in 1862, and served until the close of the war. He is now a merchant of Craftsbury village, where he has been in trade since the autumn of 1865. 

       Nehemiah Lyon, one of the earliest settlers of the town, came here from Sturbridge, Mass., and located upon the farm now owned by his great grand-son, on road 20, where he cleared five acres of land, to which he brought his family, consisting of nine children, the following year. He was a blacksmith and followed the trade here until his death, October 21, 1836, aged eighty-three years. Nehemiah M. Lyon, his seventh child, born in 1789, was also a blacksmith, and died here in 1852. William H., third son of Nehemiah M., born in 1821, also was a blacksmith, and died here in 1874, having reared five children, all of whom now reside in the town. Royal M., his only son, is a justice of the peace and one of the present selectmen. He has three children, the fifth generation born here. 

      Benjamin Jennings, from Brookfield, Mass., came here in 1791, and made a settlement on road 4; but owing to the hard times and poor markets he returned to Massachusetts soon after. Anna, his second child, was nine months old when her parents came here, and remained with the family of Hiram Mason when they returned to Massachusetts. In 1827, she married William Perham and had three children, Needham M., Lucy M., and Hiram. Lucy M., widow of W. A. Kilburn, resides on road 49. 

       Benjamin Hoyt, from Massachusetts, came to Craftsbury in 1794, with his wife and two children. The family was subsequently increased to thirteen children, many of whose descendents are living. Wyman, the second child, born in 1789, had also a family of thirteen children, eight of whom are living. Job, the fourth child, was a leading member of the Methodist church, having held the office of steward over sixty years. All of his seven children are living. The youngest, Charles C., served in Co. I, First Vt. Cav., and was a prisoner of war eight months. He occupies the old homestead. 

       Samuel Stratton came to Craftsbury, from Brookfield, Mass, about the year 1794, and located on road 58, where his son William now resides, where he died in 1857, aged eighty-six years. Three of his ten children, Samuel, Jr., William and Horace, located on portions of, or near, the old farm. Horace now lives with his eldest son, Edwin S. 

       Samuel Ephraim Morse came from Massachusetts at an early day and located where East Craftsbury now is, and resided there until his death, in 1834, aged sixty-six years. He brought the first wagon into the town, a vehicle that would not be worth $25.00, but which at that time was not only quite valuable, but was also very much of a curiosity. Mr. Morse was successively engaged in farming, distilling, and hotel-keeping. Two of his three children settled in the town. The youngest, Samuel, born in 1794, resided on the old homestead until his death, in 1848. He had a family of nine children, three of whom became residents of the town. The youngest, Samuel E., born August 27, 1837, now occupies the farm. 

       Samuel French, from Massachusetts, came to the town previous to 1800, and located on East hill, upon the farm now owned by Dea. Datin, where he died September 28, 1854, aged eighty-eight years. Only one of his eight children, Alvah R., born in 1798, located in the town. His death occurred in 1876, at the age of seventy-eight years. 

       Marion R. Marcy came to Craftsbury from Boston, Mass., at an early day, and located at North Craftsbury. One of his three children, Ephraim B., born in 1842, still resides here. He served in Co. D, 5th Vt. Vols., three years during the late war, was wounded at Savage Station and taken prisoner remaining in the Richmond prison, however, only twenty-one days. 

       Jesse E. Merrill, from Corinth, located in this town at an early date, residing here most of the time until his death, following the mason's trade. He served the town in several official capacities, among which as a representative in the legislature. He had five children, three of whom settled here. His second son, George, born in 1833, now resides on road 42. 

       Daniel Davison, a Revolutionary soldier, came to Craftsbury, from Massachusetts, in 1795, locating in the southern part of the town where he kept an hotel, and subsequently kept an hotel at The Common. He died in November, 1854, at the great age of ninety years. His father also died here, aged ninety years. Two of his four children located in the town. Emory, the eldest, born in 1789, reared seven children and died here in 1868, aged seventy-nine years. His second son, Emory, Jr., born in 1830, still resides here.   He represented the town in 1861.

       Daniel Seaver, a Revolutionary soldier, from Petersham, Mass., came here in 1796, and located in the western part of the town, on road 23, where he died in 1831, aged seventy-eight years. James, the fifth of his twelve children, born in 1791, reared seven children, and died here in 1859, aged sixty- eight years. His oldest child, William, born in 1823, is still a resident of the town. 

       James  Coburn came here, from Sturbridge, Mass., in 1800, and located on road 40, upon the farm now owned by his grandson, Silas W. Coburn, where he died, in December, 1861, aged eighty-two years. He served in the war of 1812, and held the office of constable and collector for a number of years. James, Jr., the fourth of his nine children, born in 1811, died here in 1877, aged sixty-two years. Silas W., his second son, who now occupies the old farm, was born in 1846. 

       Samuel Works, a native of Massachusetts, came to Craftsbury previous to 1800, and located in the eastern part of the town. His son Samuel, born in 1783, made Craftsbury his home during the remainder of his life. His three children, George, Lucia W., wife of  P. V. Scott, and Harriet, wife of S. B. Robbins, are living. 

       Caleb Harriman, from New Hampshire, came to this town in 1802, and died here in 1848, aged seventy-two years. Hamilton Z., son of Ziba, and grandson of Caleb, was born in 1854, and now resides on road 35. 

       Benjamin Squires came to Craftsbury, from Massachusetts, in 1807, and located at The Common. He had a family of seven children, only one of whom, Abigail N. (Mrs. Lawrence), born in 1810, is living. She resides with her daughter, Mrs. S. Searls, on road 55. Mrs. Lawrence has been totally blind for the past nine years, yet is able to spin, knit, and do house-work with great facility.

      Ephraim Wylie, from Hancock, Vt., located in the eastern part of Eden in 1808, and, in 1829, came to Craftsbury, and located on road 55, where his eldest son, Wyman, now resides. Charles R., son of John, and grandson of Ephraim, resides on road 4. 

      Elijah Scott, from Fitzwilliam, N.H., came to Craftsbury in 1809, reared a family of ten children, and died in 1840, aged sixty years. Amasa, the third son of Elijah, was born in 1809, and has been a resident of the town since his father moved here. He has one of the finest residences in the town, and has been engaged in mercantile pursuits since 1830. He has one daughter, Mary A., born in 1858, who resides at home. She graduated from Fitchburgh college in 1878.

      William J. Hastings, from St. Johnsbury, Vt., came here in 1817, and learned the tanner's trade, but after a few years he purchased three hundred acres of land on road 40. He held the office of town representative in 1836, ‘37, '38, '48, and '49. He was also county commissioner and associate judge two years. Two of his family of four are living, Eliza H., wife of William Chamberlin, of Dexter, Iowa, and Edward L., residing on road 12. 

     William Robbins, from Dunstable, Mass., came to Craftsbury in 1822, and located on road 50, with a family of twelve children. His fourth and fifth sons, twins, James Madison and Thomas Jefferson, born in 1812, have always resided here. 

     Gersham W. Harriman came to Craftsbury with his father, Enoch, at the age of two years, and resided here until his death, in 1850, aged thirty-eight years. David G., his only child now living, born in 1845, resides on road 27. 

     William Randall came to Craftsbury, from Greensboro, in 1825, and operated a saw-mill here for a number of years, then returned to Greensboro, where he passed the remainder of his life. Amasa A., the third of his eight children born in 1820, has been a resident of this town since his fifth year. 

     Hiram Merrill, from Lisborn, N.H., came here in 1827. He has two children, one having died in infancy. Sarah J., his only daughter, born in 1834, resided here until her marriage with John L. Dodge, in 1863, when she removed to Irasburgh. His second son, William H. H., born in 1840, resides on road 4.

     George F. Sprague, born in Claremont, N.H., in 1807, came to Craftsbury, from Peacham, in 1829, locating on road 47. Three of his five children William F., George H., and Martha A. (Mrs.0.M.Tillotson), are living.  Mr. Scott has held, among other offices, that of justice of the peace for thirty years. 

     John Chase came to Craftsbury, from New Hampshire, in 1831, locating in the southern part of the town. He died in 1880, aged seventy-eight years. Seven of his ten children are now living. George, his fourth son, born in 1828, has resided on the farm he now occupies since 1853. 

     Liberty McIntyre, of East Craftsbury, located here in 1831, coming from Massachusetts. He married Jane Patterson in 1849, and has two children. 

     Matthew McRoy, a native of Ireland, located as a blacksmith at East Craftsbury, in 1831, where he died in 1879, aged eighty years. John, the oldest of his five children, born in 1832, still resides here. He served four years during the late war, was wounded twice, and was in Libby prison three months. 

     Joseph Allen, from Burke, Vt., located upon a farm in the northeastern part of the town in 1833, where he resided until his death, rearing a family of seven children. James J., his third son, born in 1832, now resides on road 22.  Job W., the second son of Joseph, was born in 1828, and has lived here since he was five years of age. 

     L. Carlos Bailey located at Craftsbury village in 1835, followed blacksmithing there until 1856, then removed to South Albany, where he remained until his death, in 1863. Four of his five children are now living. 

     Dr. Henry Huntington, of North Craftsbury, was born in Greensboro, June 3, 1818, a son of Henry, Sr., who was one of the earliest settlers of that town. Dr. Henry was educated at Craftsbury academy, and at Albany, N. Y. medical college. He practiced medicine in Champlain, N.Y., two years, in Craftsbury two years, and then went to Atlanta, Ga., where he practiced dentistry fourteen years. In 1864, he left the south to avoid conscription in the confederate army, and after five months separation from his family they joined him in Iowa. Here, in Des Moines, he practiced dentistry a number of years. In 1882, he returned to Craftsbury, where he now resides. His wife, Martha M. (Duston) Huntington, is a niece of the late Gov. Crafts. 

     John Udall, from Hartford, Conn., came to Wolcott about 1840, locating near the center of the town. Six of his eight children are now living, two in this town. 

     Henry H. Dutton, from Royalton, Vt., located upon the farm he now occupies, in 1845. He has three sons, two of whom are residents of the town. 

     Levi Glidden, son of Joseph Glidden, one of the early settlers in Greensboro, came to this town in 1848, locating upon a farm in the northern part of the town, where he resided until 1867, then removed to the farm now owned by his son, Frank J., on road 41, and thence located in Craftsbury village, where he died, in 1878, aged sixty-one years. 

     Horace Andrus, born at Newbury, Vt., in 1829, came to this town and located on road 40, where he kept a hotel three years, and also kept a hotel at Craftsbury village two years.  He has been a Methodist layman for a number of years, and pastor of the church in Eden two years. 

     Henry Douglass, from Waterbury, Vt., came to Craftsbury in 1855, and now occupies the house where Gov. Crafts died. He has served as assistant judge, and has been elected justice of the peace nearly every year since he came to the town, and has been engaged in the insurance business forty years. 

     Daniel Mason, born at Sturbridge, Mass., came to Craftsbury in 1790. He became a successful farmer and accumulated a fair property; but when about fifty years of age he left his farm and entered the ministry of the Calvinist Baptist church, remaining in that vocation until old age warned him to retire. He also held most of the town offices, being a justice of the peace thirty years. His death occurred at the age of seventy-five years, he having been the father of ten children. His son Tyler commenced life as a farmer, but at the age of twenty-four years commenced the study of medicine, with Dr. F. W. Adams, of Boston, and subsequently with Dr. Allen Smith, of Hardwick and finally graduated from Burlington medical college. He has had a successful practice of sixty years, being now eighty-five years of age. 

     The soldiers who were sent from the town during the war of 1812, so far as known, were William Hidden, Moses Mason, Captain Hiram Mason, James Coburn, Amory Nelson, John Towle, John Hadley, and Elias Mason.  In the war for the Union, the town furnished 128 enlisted men, five of whom were killed in action, six died of wounds, fifteen died of disease, five in rebel prisons, and one by accident. The expenses of the town for the support of the war were as follows: bounties paid to volunteers, $13,268.00; expenses in enlisting recruits, $69.40; subsistence of recruits, $19.67; transportation of recruits, $17.20; for further expenses of same nature, $90.15, aggregating $13,464,42. In addition, the selectmen incurred additional expenses in transporting recruits amounting to $14.25, which the adjutant-general allowed and paid. There was also raised by subscription, in 1862, the sum of $16l.50 and paid as bounties to eight volunteers, for nine months service, and the further sum of $875.00 was subscribed to aid in procuring recruits, of which sum about $650.00 was collected and paid out, which, added to town bounties and, other expenses, makes an aggregate of $14,275.92. 

    The Congregational church, located at North Craftsbury, was organized July 4, 1797 with twenty-four members. Rev. Samuel Collins was the first pastor. The church building was erected in 1820, though it has been re-modeled since, so that it will accommodate 250 persons, and is valued, including grounds, at $5,000.00. The society has 112 members, with Rev. Francis Parker, pastor. The flourishing Sabbath school connected with this church is one of the oldest in Vermont, its existence dating back to the summer or autumn of 1814.  Its founders and first teachers were Lucy Corey and Clarissa Clark, both of whom were members of this society over fifty-six years. One result of these and other faithful workers is seen in the continuous existence and hearty support of the school down to the present time.

    The First M. E. church of Craftsbury, located at North Craftsbury, was organized by its first pastor, Wilbur Fisk, in 1818. The first church edifice was erected in 1829, and gave place to the present building in 1852, which will comfortably seat 400 persons and is valued including grounds, at $3,700.00. The society now has 150 members, under the charge of Rev. W. H. Worthen. 

    The Reformed Presbyterian church of Craftsbury, located at East Craftsbury, was organized about 1830, with sixty members. Rev. Samuel M. Wilson was the first pastor. The building was erected in 1830, rebuilt in 1858, and is now valued at $15,000.00. The society has sixty-five members, with Rev. J. C. Taylor, pastor. 

(Source: Gazetteer of Lamoille and Orleans Counties, VT.; 1883-1884, Compiled and Published by Hamilton Child; May 1887, Page  239 to 243)

This excerpt was provided by Tom Dunn.

  1883 –1884 Craftsbury Business Directory