ST. GEORGE, the smallest town of the county, centrally located,
is in lat. 44° 24, and long. 3° 48', bounded north and northeast
by Williston, south by Hinesburgh, and west by Shelburne. According to
its charter, issued by the governor of New Hampshire, August 18, 1763,
the township should have had an area of 23,040 acres, butted and bounded
as follows: "Beginning at the southeastern corner of Shelburne, a township
this day granted, being a stake and stone on the northerly side line of
Hinesburgh, and from thence running east six miles to a stake and stone;
thence turning off and running north six miles to a stake and stone; thence
turning off and running west six miles to the northeasterly corner of Shelburne
aforesaid, thence running south six miles by Shelburne aforesaid, to the
southerly corner thereof, the bound began at." This area, however, very
unfortunately for its grantees, it failed to receive. Owing to an imperfect
knowledge of the geography of the territory, more land was granted than
existed, and as the surrounding towns had established their boundaries,
St. George could only accept what was left, making an area, since the addition
of a small slice from Shelburne, November 9, 1848, of 2,200 acres. This
meager amount was divided among its proprietors, Jesse HALLOCK and sixty
three others, giving them only thirty acres, instead of the 360 they had
The name of the township was given in allusion to George III, evincing
a considerable degree of veneration in the prefix "St.," more so, perhaps,
than would have been allotted could the proprietors have foreseen the curtailment
their possessions were to receive, and the tyrannical course to be pursued
by "His Majesty."
In surface, St. George is very uneven, presenting some quite lofty
elevations, retaining, however, a number of verdant valleys and hill slopes.
It has no streams of importance, and contains no mill sites. Its soil is
principally loam, clay, and gravel, producing fair crops of the grains
and fruits indigenous to such soil and locality. The geological structure
is composed of rocks of Eolian limestone, clay, slate, and talcose conglomerate
formation, the former underlying about three quarters of the town, the
two latter lying in the eastern portion.
In 1880, St George had a population of ninety three persons. The
whole town constituted one school district, and contained one school, located
on road 4. Three teachers had been employed at an aggregate salary of $160.00.
There were twenty six pupils attending school, the entire expense of the
school for the year, ending October 31st, being $179.00, with Ira O. LOCKWOOD,
The town contains no village, no manufactories, and no church building.
The post office, St. George is located near the central part of the town,
on road 4, with Norman ISHAM, postmaster.
The first settlement was commenced by Joshua ISHAM, in 1784, who
located in the western part of the town. Here he cleared a farm, and after
many years of hardship, succeeded in gaining a moderate competence. He
was drowned in Hinesburgh Pond, in December, 1837. Early in the following
year Elnathan HIGBEE and Zirah ISHAM, with their families, settled here.
And, not long after, Jehiel ISHAM, Reuben and Nathan LOCKWOOD, John MOBBS,
James SUTTON, Wheeler HIGBEE, and others joined the settlement, so that,
in 1791, the town had fifty seven inhabitants.
The town was organized and first town meeting held March 9, 1813,
when Jared HIGBEE was elected town clerk; Sherman BEACH, constable; and
Reuben LOCKWOOD, Lewis HIGBEE, and Levi HIGBEE, selectmen. The first justice
was Reuben LOCKWOOD, appointed in 1808. The first representative, Lewis
HIGBEE, chosen in 1813. The first born was a daughter of Joshua ISHAM,
a short time previous to the birth of the first male, Lewis HIGBEE, September
23, 1787. The first death is supposed to have been that of Heman HIGBEE,
an infant son of Wheeler HIGBEE, September 17, 1791; first adult, Rebecca
GILMAN, June 22, 1797. The first marriage was that of Jacob HINSDILL to
Hannah COOK. The first school house was built soon after the first settlement
was commenced, a rude log structure, and Amos COLLENDER, of Shelburne,
taught the first school
Jehiel ISHAM came to St. George about the year 1790, and located
near the center of the town, where he soon became an extensive farmer.
He was actively engaged in the war of Independence, enlisting when fourteen
years or age. He married Sarah MOBBS, by whom he had a family of thirteen
children nine sons and four daughters -- four of whom, Silas, Amasa, Sophia
and Eunice (OWEN), are now living. He died here at the residence of one
of his sons, in 1851, at the great age of ninety two years. His wife died
in 1840, aged ninety years. Silas is now the oldest person residing in
the town. He married Dora Sinclair in 1818, and has four children living.
His wife died in 1874. He kept the first and only hotel the town ever had.
The ISHAM family has always been one of the most influential and numerous
in the town.
James SUTTON, from Connecticut, with his brother, Benjamin, immigrated
to Shelburne at an early day, where, after a short residence, James removed
to St. George, residing here many years. He finally died at Montpelier,
whither he had gone on business, and was buried in this town. His son,
James, born here April 6, 1803, now resides on road 5. He has served his
townsmen as representative, justice of the peace, selectman, and in other
Russell TILLEY came to this town, from Williston, in 1839, and subsequently
located upon the farm now occupied by him on road 2. He married Abigail
ISHAM in 1839, and has five sons, Silas H., Sidney N., Hiram H., Herrick
A., and Raymond A. The latter married Mary H. SLOCUM, of South Burlington,
and has one child, Ray E.
Reuben LOCKWOOD was a prominent resident of the town for nearly
sixty years, removing to Irasburgh, Vt., in 1856. He represented St. George
in the legislature at the age of twenty eight years, and was subsequently
reelected nine different times. He also held the office of lister twenty
five years, and that of selectman twenty nine years; was elected town clerk
in 1833, continuing in that office twenty two years, and, in 1842, received
the appointment of postmaster, which he resigned in 1846.
Business Directory of
County, Vt. For 1882-83
and Published by Hamilton Child
At The Journal Office, Syracuse, N. Y,
by Karima Allison ~ 2004