HINESBURGH, located in the southern part of the county, in lat.
44° 19', and long. 3° 57', bounded north by Shelburne, St. George
and Richmond, east by Huntington and Starksboro, south by Starksboro and
Monkton, in Addison County, and west by Charlotte, was granted by New Hampshire,
June 24, 1762, to David FERRIS, Abel HINE and sixty three others, mostly
resident in New Milford, Conn., the said HINE acting for many years as
proprietors' clerk, hence the name "Hinesburgh." In outline the town is
very regular, its boundary lines being each six miles in length, forming
a perfect square, and enclosing a tract whose area is just thirty six square
miles, or 23,040 acres. This area, too, it has retained since the original
survey, no changes ever having been made as in most of the adjoining towns.
In surface, Hinesburgh presents as fair a contour as it does in outline.
Through the center of the town, nearly in a north and south direction,
there extends a bed of clay slate underlying the soil having a mean width
of about half a mile. This ledge, or vein of rocks, seems to be the dividing
line between what might be termed the low land of the west, and the high
land of the east; for west of this line the surface is low, having an altitude
of from 300 to 500 feet above the lake level, while east of it the surface
rapidly rises in large and broken ridges to a height of 1,200 to 2,000
feet, though mostly covered with a strong, arable soil, making very good
dairy farms. The soil of this western portion is principally clay, very
fertile, and capable of producing excellent crops of grain, while that
of the eastern portion is a sandy or gravelly loam, equally rich. Along
the principal streams are tracts of intervale, possessing an alluvial soil
seldom surpassed in richness. Numerous streams and springs abound, affording
ample irrigation for the soil, and containing many good mill sites. The
principal water courses, however, are Lewis Creek and LaPlotte River Lewis
Creek being the largest stream in town. Near the southeastern corner of
the township the mountainous ridge is cut from summit to base by a chasm
from a quarter to a half mile in width, through which flows, from Huntington,
a branch of Lewis Creek. The LaPlotte rises in the southeastern part of
the town, flows a northwesterly course, and is joined near the village
by Pond Brook, from the northeastern part of the town, and thence flows
on through Charlotte and Shelburne into Shelburne Bay. An interesting tradition
relative to the origin of ire name is current, which maybe found noted
in the Shelburne sketch. Two small ponds are found in the northern part
of the town, one lying partly in Williston. The rocks are principally Eolian
limestone and talcose conglomerate, though there is a large bed of red
sandrock underlying the southwestern portion of the territory. With these
exceptions, all the rocks of the western part of the town, up to the bed
of clay slate previously mentioned, are composed of limestone of the Eolian
or marble formation, though no quarries suitable for working have been
discovered. The whole eastern portion is composed of talcose conglomerate,
cut by a large bed of quartz rock, lying in the northeastern part of the
In 1880, Hinsburgh had a population of 1,330, and contained thirteen
common schools, employing three male and sixteen female teachers, to whom
was paid an aggregate salary of $1,840.25. There were 327 pupils attending
common school, while the entire cost of the schools for the year, ending
October 31, was $2,070.57, with Mr. C. G. PECK, superintendent. In addition
to these, the town also has an excellent school known as Hinesburgh Academy.
This institution was established and incorporated by an act of the legislature,
November 12, 1824. Under this act the trustees organized and opened a school
which has continued without interruption to the present time, and has been
one of the most permanent and successful institutions of the kind in the
State. The building is a commodious, two story structure, situated on a
rise of land in the center of the village, above and back from the west
side of the street, and fronted by a luxuriant grove of maples and locusts.
The building is in good repair and furnished throughout with modern furniture,
has a fine mineralogical collection and reference library; but the philosophical
apparatus, which had become antiquated, was disposed of in 1880, and has
not yet been replaced. In 1870, the town adopted the town system of schools,
and elected a board of directors who have entire control of the public
schools. In 1871, the academy was leased to this board, on the conditions
that the school be maintained similar in grade and equal to that maintained
by the trustees in years past, and that the building, furniture, library,
and apparatus be kept in as good condition as when delivered to them. Under
the management of the school board, the character of the institution as
a fitting and training school, with but slight modifications, has remained
the same. The school has no endowment, and is supported partly by town
appropriations and partly by tuitions. The property, by the act of incorporation,
is exempt from taxation. The present principal, Henry W. PAGE, under whose
charge the school has been since 1880, was educated at the University of
Vermont. Under his care the number of pupils has steadily increased from
term to term, and a revival of interest has also been manifested in the
classical department. The methods of instruction are fully up with the
times, while the moral tone of the school is excellent, and the work done,
for thoroughness, will compare favorably with that of any similar institution.
The people of the town have always given much attention to the means
of education and general instruction. Toward this object a literary society
was formed in 1810, and became of so much importance that it was incorporated
by an act of the legislature in 1822. A good library was collected, which
circulated among its members, and is now kept in the office of Dr. J. F.
MILES. This society, through its library, lectures, essays, and debates,
brought the leading topics of thought in science, literature, politics,
history, and religion, not only before its members, but before the citizens
of the town, and exerted a marked influence upon the young men reared here.
The functions of the society gradually became absorbed by the academy,
and about 1860, as a corporate body, it ceased to exist. The lighter
books of the library perished long ago, but it still contains many valuable
works which have a limited circulation
HINESBURGH, a post village located in the central part of the town,
contains four churches (Cong., M. E., Baptist, and Christian), three stores,
one tailor shop, a grist mill, cheese factory, hotel, a high school and
Masonic hall, and about 400 inhabitants.
RHODE ISLAND CORNER, a hamlet located in the northeastern part of
the town, near Hinesburgh Pond, received its name from the fact of its
having been originally settled by people from Rhode Island. It contains
a church and about half a dozen houses.
Mechanicsville, a hamlet situated in the northern part of the town,
on Pond Brook, contains a woolen mill, excelsior factory, grist mill, wagon
shop, saw mill, cheese and butter tub factory, cider mill, iron foundry,
carding mill, and about twenty eight dwellings. It was formerly called
Patrick and Murray Corners.
Hinesburgh Woolen Mill. -- Andrew DOW, Nelson M. NAY and Isaiah
DOW, in partnership, purchased the Hinesburgh Woolen Mill, located at Mechanicsville.
in the spring of 1856, and commenced the manufacture of woolen goods, where
it has been continued with varying degrees of success till the present
time. It is now considered the best equipped mill of its size in the State.
The building is heated and the dyeing done by steam generated in a thirty
horse power boiler, situated in a brick addition outside of the main building.
The machinery is of the best make and most modern improvement. It has been
brought to its present state of perfection by Isaiah DOW, he having been
the sole proprietor for the past ten years. The stream on which the mill
is located is one of the best and safest in the county. There are now a
number of first class unoccupied privileges on the stream, which should
call the attention of mechanics, providing the town would bring them to
their notice and give the mechanics reasonable support and encouragement.
Hinesburgh has all the natural advantages for a large manufacturing business,
and it should be developed. Mr. DOW now employs, twelve operatives and
turns out annually about $30,000.00 worth of goods.
The Union Cheese Factory, located on roads 14 and 16, built in 1871,
is owned by a stock company, who manufacture cheese from the milk of 250
The Valley Cheese Factory, yeas established by a stock company in
1866. It receives the milk from 300 cows, manufacturing 60,000 lbs. of
Lorenzo MURRAY's Excelsior Manufactory, located on Pond Brook, was
commenced in 1873, by the present proprietor. He employs three men and
manufactures about one hundred tons of excelsior per year, using basswood
PATRICK's butter tub and cheese box manufactory and saw and cider
mill, located at Mechanicsville, was established by R. PATRICK & Sons
in 1868. The works now employ six men, who manufacture 5,000 feet of lumber
per day, 3,000 butter tubs and 12,000 cheese boxes per annum, while the
cider mill has a capacity for making sixty barrels of cider per day.
PATRICK's iron foundry, also located at Mechanicsville, was built
in 1832, by Rufus PATRICK, and run by him until 1876, when it was taken
by his son, D. K. PATRICK, who still carries on the business, manufacturing
agricultural implements, employing four men.
The only settlers who resided in the town previous to the Revolution
were Isaac LAWRENCE, from Canaan, Conn., and Abner CHAFFEE. Mr. LAWRENCE
was given lot 26, of the second division, voted him by the proprietors
in consideration for services rendered them in making roads. Mr. CHAFFEE
lived at the south end of the village. At the beginning of the war they
both left, and Mr. LAWRENCE returned again in 1783, and resided here until
1793, when he sold out to Epaphras HULL, from Wallingford, and removed
to Canada. His family endured some of the severest hardships while here,
being often in want of food. Mrs. LAWRENCE has said that she lived ten
months at one time without seeing the face of any other woman, and that
for one whole season the only food used by the family was dried pumpkins
with the little mouldy flour that the children scraped from the inside
of a barrel that had been wet In 1784, Mr. LAWRENCE was joined by Jacob
MEACHAM, from Rutland, Hezekiah TUTTLE, from Williamstown, Mass., and Amos
ANDREWS. In 1786, George McEUEN, from New Milford, Conn., George PALMER,
from Stonington, Conn., Elisha MEECH, Eliphaz and George STEELE, Thomas
PLACE, Thomas BUTLER, Joseph WILSON, Thomas McFARLAND and Elkanah BILLINGS
came into the town, and were followed in 1786, by Alfred SMALLEY, Job SPAFFORD,
Azariah PALMER, Elisha BARBER, Zadock CLARK, Andrew BURRITT, Jonathan GREEN,
David GATES, Nathan LEAVENWORTH, Nathan LEAVENWORTH, Jr., James GATES,
Zalmon WHEELER, Cornelius HURLBURT and Enoch HASKINS. These were joined
in 1787, by Elijah PECK, James COMINGS, Seth BASSETT, Jonathan MARSHALL,
Knaptaly BISHOP, Lemuel BOSTWICK, Joseph FARRAND, David HILL, Nathan STUART,
Thaddeus STUART, Abraham STUART, Eleazer SPRAGUE, Lockwood MEAD, Alpheus
MEAD, Simeon HINE, Robert McEUEN, David WELLER, Samuel DORWIN, Stephen
SPAULDING, Ezbon NOBLE, David SPENCER, Ebenezer STONE, Moses SMALLEY and
Jonas SHATTUCK, constituting an entire list of all who came previous to
the organization of the town.
But one of the original proprietors, Andrew BURRITT, ever settled
in the town, though many of them were represented by their descendants.
Mr. BURRITT located in the southeastern part of the town, where he resided
many years. He was blind a number of years previous to his death, which
took place before that of his wife, at the age of ninety six years, three
months, and hers at ninety five years and eight months. Not long before
her death she remarked that she had lived so long she was almost ashamed
of herself, and sometimes concluded the Lord had forgotten her, but thought
she should fare well in the next world for being so good to "Dada," the
name she gave her husband, while he was blind and helpless. They lived
happily together for seventy years, and attained the greatest age of any
settlers of the town.
The first proprietors' meeting was held at New Milford, Conn., on
the last Friday of July, 1762, and continued to be held at that place from
time to time, for the transaction of business, up to May 16, 1776. From
that time to May 6, 1783, no meeting was held, owing to the unsettled times
attending the Revolution. Soon after its close, however, May 16, 1783,
the first meeting in the town was warned: through the public paper, notifying
the proprietors "to meet at the house of Abner CHAFFEE in said Hinsburgh
on the fifth Monday of June next." The meeting so warned was held, and
Noble HINE chosen moderator and Isaac HITCHCOCK clerk. The first town meeting,
at which the town was duly organized by the election of proper town officers,
was warned by Isaac TICHENOR, of Bennington, and held on the third Tuesday
of March, 1787, at the house of Eliphaz STEELE. Josiah STEELE was chosen
moderator; Elisha BARBER, town clerk; Elisha BARBER, George McEUEN, and
Eliphaz STEELE, selectmen; and Jacob MEACHAM, constable. Erastus BOSTWICK
held the office of town clerk from 1798 to 1838, forty years, and was the
last survivor of the ancient officers. The first justice was Elisha BARBER,
chosen in 1787, and the first representative was Lemuel BOSTWICK, elected
in 1789. The first child born in town was a son of Jacob MEACHAM, born
April 1, 1785, and was named Hine. The first death was that of a child
of Elkanah BILLINGS, who settled here in 1785.
On Pond Brook, which contains excellent mill sites, was erected
the first mill. It is a small stream, heading in Hinesburgh Pond, a handsome
sheet of water about a mile and a half in length by three quarters of a
mile in width, containing Rock, Grass, and Spruce islands. The latter,
lying near the eastern side, is the largest, and is quite a resort for
The outlet of the pond is at the south end, where a dam seven feet
high and three rods long is built, forming a good reservoir for the mills
on the stream below, which courses along in a general southwesterly direction.
It originally joined the LaPlotte to the southwest of the village, but
now joins just west of it, as its course was changed by building a canal,
through which its waters are carried to the village, where they afford
a water power of sixteen feet head. From the pond to the bridge near Rufus
PATRICK's, the brook has a fall of about thirty feet, and from there, in
flowing three quarters of a mile, it falls 250 feet, affording mill privileges
which are unexcelled, as the reservoirs above render them reliable throughout
the year. The lots containing the best of these mill sites were marked
53 and 54 on the original survey, and were purchased of the proprietors
by Beriah MURRAY, of Claremont, N. H. Mr. MURRAY was a famous hunter at
that time, and probably became acquainted with the spot on some of his
excursions in search of game. He never located here himself, however, but
sold the property to Lemuel BOSTWICK, and became an early settler in Williston.
In 1791, Mr. BOSTWICK, in company with Daniel SHERMAN, erected a saw mill,
just above the site now occupied by Daniel PATRICK's mill, the first built
in the town. It was a cheap affair, however, after the fashion of the period,
and lasted but a short time. In 1793, Mr. BOSTWICK erected a grist mill
just above the shop now occupied by John EDWIN. It was a two story structure,
containing two runs of stones and a bolt, operated by an overshot wheel
situated outside of the building, the outer bearing resting on a stone,
which, by the way, was well calculated to grind it off, as indeed it did
in the course of a few years, and the mill stopped. Sometime between 1793
and 1800, Mr. BOSTWICK built a carding mill on the site now occupied by
the grist mill. It was supplied with machinery which carded the wool and
formed into rolls, and though a rude affair, was considered at that time
a model of mechanical genius, and, indeed, it was a matter of no small
importance to the inhabitants, as previous to this all their carding had
to be done by hand, or taken to Vergennes, where there was a mill. About
this time Joseph WILCOX built a saw mill some thirty or forty rods below,
where the rocks formed a sort of natural dam, affording a head of eight
or ten feet. A few years after this, about 1801, Mr. BOSTWICK, in company
with Messrs. ELDRIDGE and PECK, built a sacs mill a little to the northwest
of the site now occupied by L. MURRAY's excelsior mill. The water was taken
from the dam which supplied the carding mill, carried thither by a ditch
which passed along where the road now is, or a little higher up the bank.
In 1812, the bearings to the grist mill wheel again were ground off; and
it "stopped, never to go again," as a grist-mill.
In 1814, Thomas WILCOX rebuilt the John WILCOX mill, and during
the following year sold it to Colvin, Celah and Allen MURRAY, and Harmon
ANGER. Colvin MURRAY bought out Lemuel BOSTWICK, and Brigham WRIGHT run
the carding-mill for him that year. In 1816, MURRAY built a grist mill
where the factory now stands, the wall on a part of the south and west
sides being the same then built. Brigham WRIGHT bought out Celah and Allen
MURRAY and ANGER. The carding mill and the BOSTWICK, ELDRIDGE & PECK
saw mill, being in ruinous condition, were taken down and the carding machines
stored in a barn. In 1817, Capt. BACON built a wood working shop midway
between the two bridges, on a little brook that runs into the grist mill
pond, and in 1818, BOYNTON & HURLBURT put a "still" into this shop
and manufactured liquor for several years thereafter. Brigham WRIGHT built
a dam and a mill for dressing cloth just below his saw mill, but during
the following year it was destroyed by fire, and he removed the business
to the old BOSTWICK grist mill. And also during this year BOYNTON &
HURLBURT built the factory at the village which is now used as a grist
mill. In 1820, Abijah LAKE put a set of carding machines into the old grist
mill. In 1821, B. WRIGHT took down his saw mill and removed it to the site
of the mill which burned. Orrin MURRAY went into partnership with him for
a period of three years, in the cloth dressing business.
During the year 1822, Samuel HURLBURT built a saw mill just south
of the present grist mill. In 1823, Ornn MURRAY and John S. PATRICK formed
a partnership, and finally came into possession of all of Colvin MURRAY's
property on the stream, and continued the cloth dressing business after
MURRAY's engagement with Wright closed. They also built a mill for carding
where D. K. PATRICK's shop now stands. J. S. PATRICK was a machinist and
wheelwright, using the old grist mill for a shop. Lake had to move his
carding machine out, and in company with WILEY built a mill just above
the bridge, which was subsequently converted into the dwelling now occupied
by C. F. KNOX. During the year 1821, MURRAY & PATRICK bought B. WRIGHT's
sawmill, thus coming into possession of the pond. Colvin MURRAY had built
a. dam at the outlet so as to hold the water back for his grist mill years
before. In 1827, MURRAY & PATRICK bought out WILEY & LAKE, WILEY
taking the present grist mill privilege in part payment, and, in company
with L. F. CLARK, built a large blacksmith shop, which they sold during
the following year to Elanson LYON, who added a wagon shop. In 1829, MURRAY
& PATRICK built the shop occupied by J. EDWIN, for their carding and
cloth dressing business. In 1830, they commenced manufacturing cloth, with
two power looms. In 1831, Lyman HUNTINGTON erected a tannery on a little
brook near the present residence of Joseph BISSONNETT, whose house was
then used for a bark and finishing shop.
In 1832, LYON's shops were destroyed by fire, and Rufus PATRICK
and Loren MURRAY built the foundry where it now stands, and also bought
the old carding mill of MURRAY & PATRICK for a shop. In 1833, the trestle
work that had served the old BOSTWICK mill as a foundation gave way. The
machinery was taken out and the building used as a store house, and a portion
of it as a machine shop, and so used for a number of years, when it was
torn down, thus displacing the last vestige of BOSTWICK's work on the stream.
Rufus PATRICK and Mr. MURRAY commenced the manufacture of plows, laying
the foundation for D. K. PATRICK's business. LYON moved away during the
spring of this year, and his place passed into the possession of Francis
Wilson, who some time previous to this had established an "ashery" on the
In 1835, Clark WHITEHORN purchased a site just below Rufus PATRICK's
shop, where he established a small carding and cloth dressing mill. In
1836, Loren and Colvin MURRAY bought the LYON place of WILSON, and put
up a factory where the blacksmith shop had stood. They had gotten part
of the machinery in when the financial crash of 1837 compelled them to
suspend operations. In 1840, Clark WHITEHORN built the factory now known
as the F. F. LYMAN factory, and put into it two sets of carding machines,
using his old building as a dry house. During 1842, MURRAY & PATRICK
purchased the factory building of Colvin and Loren MURRAY, and moved their
machinery into it, and also built another set. They also moved their machine
shop to the factory. In 1843, Enos HOADLEY built a saw-mill just below
the bridge, by Rufus PATRICK's, but it did not prove successful, so was
abandoned, and finally was moved across the street and converted into a
dwelling. In December, 1844, MURRAY & PATRICK's factory burned down,
the fire originating in the carding room. During the following year they
re erected their factory upon its present site, and removed the grist mill,
converting it into a dwelling. Mr. HULL built a potato starch mill also
during this year, between L. MURRAY's mill and the road, a part of the
foundations of which still remain. In 1847, L. MURRAY sold his carding
and cloth dressing business to E. HOADLEY, who added to it the manufacture
of cheese boxes.
In 1848, B. & H. BOYNTON failed and the factory at the village
ceased operations, and was opened the following year by David FRAZIER.
In 1850, Rufus PATRICK built a shop, the one now occupied by D. K. PATRICK.
In 1851, MURRAY & PATRICK closed up their factory business, and the
property passed into the hands of J. & J. F. PECK, of Burlington. In
1853, Daniel and Rufus PATRICK, Herman MURRAY, Walter ABBOTT, and Morton
CROSSMAN built the grist mill now owned by Russel CARY. In 1854, MURRAY
& PATRICK built a saw mill where the old BOSTWICK mill had stood. In
1855, Loren MURRAY commenced the manufacture of cheese boxes in the carding
mill. In 1856, Andrew and Isaiah DOW and Nelson NAY bought the factory
of PECK and commenced business, as described on page 204. In 1857, MURRAY
& PATRICK dissolved partnership, PATRICK retaining the mill property
and most of the farm. In 1859, A. D. ROOD and W. K. PATRICK bought J. S.
PATRICK's machine shop and continued the machinist and millwright business.
In 1863, C. C. & H. POST bought the starch mill property, took down
the old saw and starch mills, and built the shop now occupied by L. MURRAY,
starting the business of manufacturing sap buckets and pails. In 1865,
Mr. MURRAY purchased the property, and subsequently commenced the manufacture
of excelsior, being still in the business. In 1868, DOW's factory was destroyed
by fire, and Rufus PATRICK built the saw mill now owned by Daniel PATRICK.
In 1869, the DOW factory was rebuilt. In 1880, Daniel PATRICK built
a new dam above his mill, which gave way the first time it was filled,
injuring one of the workmen so badly that he died from the effects a few
days later. He immediately rebuilt the dam.
Such are the principal changes on Pond Brook, put together in a
dry and uninteresting form, yet valuable in an historical point of view.
George McEUEN, mentioned among the early settlers on a previous
page, and Mercy WRIGHT, were married at Shaftsbury, Vt., Nov. 12, 1783.
In the summer of 1784, Mr. McEUEN worked at Ferrisburgh, Addison County,
building the first saw mill in that town, and a little later in the season
came on to his land in Hinesburgh and built a cabin. The following February
he moved from Shaftsbury to Hinesburgh on an ox sled, finding few roads
but plenty of marked trees. He had a yoke of oxen, two cows and one horse.
When he and his wife arrived at the northern end of Monkton Pond, no track
or road was broken farther, and the snow was four feet deep, so Mrs. McEUEN
was compelled to remain in Monkton until her husband's hired man came through
to Hinesburgh and broke a track. When this had been accomplished, George
rolled up a featherbed and put it, together with some bed clothes, on the
a horse, and set his wife upon them with a basket of crockery in her lap.
In this way they followed on to their new home in the forest, arriving
here on the 26th of February, 1785. Mrs. McEUEN saw no other female till
the following April. Their cabin contained one room, with split logs for
a floor, and a chimney in wigwam style. Before Mr. McEUEN left Shaftsbury
he made a wash tub with a cover to it, and in this they salted their meat,
it being a more convenient way to move it than in a barrel The lid, or
cover, to this tub was used instead of a table for their first meals. After
this, their hired man went to Monkton, where the oxen and sled had been
left, and got the table, carrying it four miles to their new home, on his
head. One of the cows having become sick, she was permitted to share one
corner of the cabin with them nightly for two weeks.
During the following summer there was a tea party held in the town,
attended by all the ladies in the township, namely: Mrs. MCEUEN, LAWRENCE,
CHAFFEE, TUTTLE and MEACHAM, five in all. Mr. McEUEN was the fifth family
that settled in Hinesburgh. During the summer of 1785, Mr. McEUEN built
a log house in which they lived until July 19, 1797, when they removed
to their new two story brick house, (which has long since passed away,
yet which some of the older inhabitants recollect,) on the old McEUEN homestead.
In the winter of 1787, Mrs. McEUEN, as midwife, attended the birth of the
first child born in Hinesburgh, which was named Hines Meacham. Mr. McEUEN
remained in Hinesburgh until his death, February 27, 1813, leaving six
sons and three daughters. The sons were as follows: James, Charles, Augustus,
Carlton, George and Ransom. Four of the sons died in this town, while Carlton
and George removed to St. Lawrence County, N. Y., where they left large
families. The daughters all married in Hinesburgh, two of them dying soon
after marriage. Mercy Marenda, the youngest, died in January, 1882, the
widow of A. H. POST. In March, 1815, Mrs. McEUEN became the wife of Nehemiah
ROYCE, he surviving the marriage but about two years. She died December
26, 1847, aged 83 years.
Nahum PECK, with one exception the oldest practicing lawyer in Vermont,
was born at Royalton, Mass., October 5, 1796, studied law and was admitted
to the bar at Montpelier, in September, 1823, and immediately settled at
Hinesburgh, where he has practiced continuously since. At his advanced
age he reaps the reward of an upright life, in possessing the respect and
honor of his fellow townsmen, who have repeatedly shown their regard by
tendering him positions of trust. His son, Cicero Godard PECK, was born
February 17, 1828. He has held many of the town trusts, and is at present
superintendent of public schools and chairman of the school board.
Gov. Asahel PECK, LL. D., brother of Nahum, was born at Royalton,
Mass., and removed with his parents while an infant to Montpelier, Vt.
He was fitted for college at Hinesburgh Academy and at Washington County
Grammar School, entered the University of Vermont, from which he received
the degree of A. B., and from Middlebury College the title of LL. D. He
also spent one year at a French college, near Montreal. He read law with
his brother, Nahum PECK, at Hinesburgh, and after a few months' study with
BAILY & MARSH, at Burlington, (MARSH is now American minister to Italy,)
where he was admitted to the bar. He practiced law several years in the
State and United States courts, and after being State senator was appointed
judge of the circuit court, retaining the position four years, after which
he was judge of the supreme court fourteen years, and Governor of Vermont
from 1874 to 1876. He was a judge of much note, it having often been said
of him by eminent lawyers and judges, that his legal learning would compare
favorably with that of the late Judge PARSONS, of the U. S. supreme court.
In his later years he settled at Jericho, where he died, May 18, 1879,
aged seventy five years and eight months, and was buried in the cemetery
John PARTCH, born at Danbury, Conn., September 29, 1780, came to
this town with his parents, in October, 1796. He was for some time the
oldest person in Hinesburgh, dying at the age of ninety two years, nine
months and sixteen days. He was the third child in a family of nine sons
and two daughters, all of whom he survived. In early life he worked at
the carpenter trade, but later followed farming. During the war of 1812,
he entered the army and was stationed for a time at Burlington. As a citizen
he was unpretending, intelligent, and trustworthy, interested in all that
concerned the honor and welfare of his town. He has six children, -- two
sons and four daughters, -- one of whom, Dea. Noble L., is still living
Dea. Oliver POST, from West Hampton, Mass., came to Hinesburgh in
May, 1801. He was a tanner, currier, and shoemaker by trade, and was connected
with the early history of the Congregational church here. He did service
in the Revolutionary war, being at one time stationed in a fort on the
Susquehannah River, near Wilkesbarre, Pa., six months. Of his family of
seven children who came to Hinesburgh with him, the youngest, A. H. POST,
died here, May 3, 1881, aged nearly eighty eight years. He built for himself
or repaired one or more buildings each year for forty four consecutive
years, represented the town in 1856 '57, including the extra session after
pages 212 and 213 were missing from the Gazetter.
If I am
able to obtain a copy of these two pages, I will include them.]
she died, aged
eighty six years. The only representatives of the family in the town now
are two grandsons, Dr. Elmer BEECHER, aged seventy years, and Harmon BEECHER.
Colvin MURRAY, from Williston, Vt., came to Hinesburgh in 1816,
and located upon the place formerly owned by Lemuel BOSTWICK, and now the
property of Daniel PATRICK. He had a family of nine children, four sons
and five daughters. He died in 1822, aged fifty three years, leaving a
small fortune. The only son who settled in Hinesburgh was Orran, who still
resides here, aged eighty one years. He has carried on respectively the
business of machinist, wheelwright, manufacturer of woolen cloth and farming.
Dennison ANDREWS, from Connecticut, located in Charlotte soon after
the Revolution, where he married Eunice COOK and had a family of six children.
In 1817, he removed to New York, where he subsequently died. One of his
sons, Ira, came back to Vermont, locating in Shelburne, where he married
Aurelia LOCKE, and had a family of five children, four sons, and one daughter.
The sons are now all living, two of them, Leonard, a merchant, and Curtis,
in Hinesburgh. Curtis resides upon a portion of the old McEUEN farm, having
married Ellen McEUEN.
Royal BELL, born in 1801, came to this town, from Weybridge, Vt.,
in April, 1818. He resided with the family of Carlton McEUEN until twenty-one
years of age. June 29th 1831, he married Philura Ann BATCHELDER, with whom
he has lived a happy married life since, they being now aged respectively
eighty one and seventy five years. Of their family of seven children, one
only, Martha J., the wife of Perry READE, is living.
The Hinesburgh Congregational Society, located at Hinesburgh village,
was organized by Rev. Nathan PERKINS, of West Hartford, Conn., May 20,
1789, with eleven members. The first church building was erected of wood,
in 1800 and did service until 1837, when the present brick church was built
at a cost of $6,000.00, about its present value. It will seat about 300
persons. The society now has 102 members, sixty eight of whom are resident,
with Rev. Artemas C. FIELD, pastor. During the history of this church;
twenty one of the young men whose parents, or themselves, were connected
with it, have become ministers of the gospel, while fourteen of its young
ladies have become ministers' wives.
The Baptist Church of Hinesburgh, also located at the village, was
organized May, 30, 1810, with eighteen members, and Rev. S. CHURCHILL,
pastor. The church building is a wood structure, capable of seating 500
persons, and is valued, including grounds, at about $4,500.00. The society
now has ninety eight members, with Rev. A. S. GILBERT, pastor.
The Methodist Episcopal Church, located at the village, was organized
by its first pastor, Rev. Noah LEVENS, in 1831, with ten members, which
number has since increased to ninety eight, with Rev. D. F. BROOKS, pastor.
The present brick church was erected in 1837, is valued at $3,300,00, and
will seat 250 persons.
The Christian Advent Church, located near the center of the village,
was organized by its present pastor, Rev A. A. HOYT, August 3, 1874, with
ten members. Their church building, a wood structure capable of seating
200 persons, was erected during the following year.
and Business Directory of
County, Vt. For 1882-83
and Published by Hamilton Child
At The Journal Office, Syracuse, N. Y,
by Karima Allison ~ 2004