lies in the extreme northern part of the county, in latitude 44º 42'
and longitude 5º S', bounded northeast by Brighton, southeast by East
Haven, southwest by Burke and Sutton, and northwest by Westmore.
It was chartered August 15, 1781, to William Wall and others, under the
usual restrictions and reservations of the state charters.
The surface of the township is broken and to certain extent mountainous,
affording some very fine scenery, though it is not sufficiently rough to
prevent its being a good farming district, possessing an arable soil. The
original growth of timber upon two-thirds of its area consisted of maple,
beech and birch, maple being in the excess; many beautiful groves of this
useful tree have been cut down, but many yet remain. The eastern slope
of a mountain which extends from East Haven to the center of the town (a
distance of three miles) is covered for two miles or more with a continuous
forest of sugar-maple. Many tons of sugar are made here annually. The township
is well watered, as the Passumpsic river has its rise here, while the locality
is noted for the abundance of fine springs. On the road from Newark to
Island Pond is a mineral spring, the waters of which are supposed to run
through a stratum of coal, as it is, strongly impregnated with carbonic
acid. There are three large ponds of water in the townn, one of which
is situated exactly in its center, and is called Center pond.
In 1880, Newark had a population of 679 souls. In 1886 the town
had nine school districts and nine common schools, employing two male and
twelve female teachers, to whom was paid an average weekly salary, including
board, of $5.50 to the males and $4.16 to the females. There were 150 scholars,
only one of whom attended private school. The entire income for school
purposes was $895.02, while the total expenditures were $838.42, with A.B.
Newark, (or “Newark Street,” as it is generally known,) is a small
post village occupying a sightly location in the southwestern part of the
town. Still it has less than a dozen dwellings, a church, school-house
and village hall. In times long ago there was a store here, doing a good
business. The first one was kept by a man named Morse in 1835-36. A few
years later, by Burns & Kimball, then by Kimball alone for a few years.
The first hotel was kept by Philomen Hartwell, and later one by Daniel
Smith. Previous to 1842 the only way to reach the section north of
this vicinity was through the “Street,” and there was then a good amount
of travel this way, and quite a business sprung up here in store and hotel
trade. About 1842 the road which passes through East Haven by East Newark
postoffice was opened, and in 1853 the Willoughbv Lake road, in the western
part of the town, was opened, taking large part of the travel. Hollis Bruce
had the first blacksmith shop here, but there has been none for sixteen
years. Some years since David Johnson, Oscar Woodruff and Nathaniel Bruce
bought a school-house, moved it to a suitable location, repaired it, and
now keep it as a public hall. About 1860 there was a church on road 10,
used chiefly by the Baptists, but it was burned down a few years since.
The eastern part of the town seems, to have been very unfortunate in the
matter of fires. From 1865 to 1875 there were burned eleven houses, mills
and starch factories. In 1879 the diphtheria raged quite severely. Seventeen
school children, in district No. 4, were taken sick in one day, and eleven
died in less than a week.
East Newark (p. o.) is a hamlet located in the northeastern part
of the town, on a branch of the Passumpsic river.
Abel F. Carpenter's saw-mill, on the outlet of Center pond, on road
12, was built by him in 1882. The first mill on this site was built by
Hollis Bruce. It outlived the days of its usefulness, was torn down, and,
about 1876, was succeeded by another. This was burned, and then Mr. Carpenter
built the present mill. It has the capacity for turning out about 1,500,000
feet of lumber, per year.
Wallace W. Bruce's shingle-mill, on Sleeper brook, near the intersection
of roads 10 and 11, was built by him in 1882. It has the capacity for manufacturing
600,000 shingles per year.
The saw-mill owned by David Silsby, of St.Johnsbury, on the outlet
of Newark pond, road 18, manufactures coarse lumber, using about 500,000
feet of logs per year. The business is operated by Henry Gero.
Marshall W. Stoddard's saw-mill, on the West Branch of the Passumpsic,
road 4, was built by him in 1877. (In 1848 a mill was built here by him,
which was destroyed by fire in 1876.) It has the capacity for turning out
1,000,000 feet of lumber and a large amount of shingles per year.
S.D. Hobson & Sons' steam saw-mill, located in the eastern part
of the town, is operated by a forty horse-power engine. It turns out a
large amount of lumber, though it is only operated during the winter season.
The firm resides in Brighton.
The saw-mill owned by Samuel Nelson, of St. Johnsbury, on the West
Branch of the Passumpsic, on road 18, cuts about 500,000 feet of lumber
The first land cleared within the limits of the town was near the
boundary of Burke, in the year 1795. In September, 1797, James Ball came
with his family and settled upon the farm now occupied by his grandson,
Albro Ball. In 1801, Eleazer Packer came and settled some two miles
deeper still in the forest. Charles Palmer came in 1804. These were the
first settlers. Others came in soon after, and the town was organized in
1809. These families suffered many privations. The nearest grist-mill was
at Lyndon, twelve miles away, and the cold summer of 1816 destroyed nearly
all their crops.
In the course of a few years, however, large tracts of forest land
were cleared of their timber, and bountiful harvests repaid the settler
for his labors and placed his family in comfortable circumstances. At the
first town meeting Eleazer Packer, James Ball and John Sleeper were chosen
selectmen; David Pike, treasurer; and Miles Coe, constable. Eleazer Packer
was also the first justice, chosen in 1808, and the first representative,
in 1811. The first merchant was James Morse, in 1832, and Ursula
Newell was the first school teacher, in 1810. The first birth was that
of Arnold, son of James Ball, and the first death was that of Eleazer Packer,
Jr., April 3, 1806. The first marriage was that of Philemon and Sally Hartwell,
by Eleazer Packer, June 28, 1812.
James Ball, a shoemaker by trade, came here with his family in September,
1797, the first settler in town. He had married Abigail Starr, of Thompson,
Conn. They were both members of the Baptist church, and noted for their
piety and benevolence. Mr. Ball served in the Revolutionary war seven years,
and, as we have stated, represented the town in the legislature. They had
a family of six sons and four daughters, all of whom have passed away except
Louisa, Mrs. Benjamin Wooster, of Derby Line, Vt. Perley Ball,
son of James, married Phebe Smith, of Foster, R.I. They had thirteen children,
five of whom are now living, viz.: Marvin W., in this town; Albro, on the
old home-stead; Elbridge, in Florida; Almedia, in California; and Salonia,
who lives with Albro, on the old place. Perley was in the legislature,
also in nearly every town office. He was a very kind hearted man, and we
are told always took the Golden Rule for his motto. He died September 30th,
1884, aged ninety-eight years.
Lucius Hall, son of James, lived on the farm now owned by James
H. Cheney, on road 13. Lucius married Harriet Humphrey, and reared seven
children, five of whom are living. Lucius Ball was a very hard working
farmer. He represented his town twice in the legislature, and was a man
of strong, temperance proclivities and of Universalist belief. James B.
Ball, of this town, son of Lucius, married Sophia M. Osgood, of Newark,
has one child, Corydon E., and an adopted daughter, Jessie L.
Marvin W. Ball, son of Perley, and grandson of the first settler,
married Lucinda, daughter of James Small, of Boardingham, Maine. He lived
in Woodstock, Conn., worked in a cotton factory about six years, and also
worked at Clinton, Mass., and various other towns in that vicinity. He
then lived in Burke, Vt., about three years, and moved here in 1864. They
have had six children, viz.: James F., who married Electa Packer, of this
town; Harriet E., married George Gates; Rosa, died when about three years
old; Hosea B., died in infancy; William H. H., married Nena Davis, of this
town; William died in April, 1885; Marvin W., Jr., lives at home with his
Eleazer Packer, the second settler in the town, came to Newark in
1801 and located where H. C. Packer now lives. He married Abigail Potter,
of Guilford, Mass. Of his eleven children, Osmer lives in Marshfield, John
Q. A. in Marshfield, and Rebecca in Leyden, Mass. Austin married Laura
Bundy of Burke, and began housekeeping where Henry C. now lives. They had
Timothy Hartwell came to Newark soon after the town was settled.
We find his name among those who organized the town. He first lived where
Nathaniel Bruce now resides. He married Sally, daughter of James Ball and
they had a large family of children, viz.: Alonzo, Lodoska, who married
Alvin Carroll, who is still living in this town, aged seventy-six years,
Harrison H., of Spring Valley, Minn., Serepta, deceased, Cordelia, married
Capt. Alpheus Stoddard, Louisa, married Arunia Burke, killed in the battle
of the Wilderness, Philomen G., of Lyndon, Vt., Sumner, of West Burke,
Clarence P. of California, and Ozro, of this town. Timothy Hartwell
was in the legislature several times and held about every town office.
Obed and Eben Johnson came from Sudbury, Mass., to Guildhall, Vt.,
in 1791. They came with their mother, she riding on a horse with Obed,
who was only five years old, while Eben walked and carried the old “Queen's
arm." They lived there until 1808, when the mother died. The boys bought
a brickyard about that time, and were the largest brick makers in the county
for about four years, and then came to Newark. They took up 100 acres of
land where Russell Garfield and David Johnson now live. Eben lived on the
farm Russell Garfield occupies, until his death, February 14, 1867, aged
ninety years. He married Hannah Hill, of Milan, N.H. She was a strange,
eccentric woman, nearly six feet in height, strong and masculine in appearance.
Those whom she loved she used well, and those whom she disliked she disliked
with an intenseness that knew no bounds. She died in Newark, in March,
1852, supposed to be about ninety years old. Obed Johnson married,
for his first wife, Lovisa Thayer, October 15, 1812. Soon after, he and
Eben divided the land and Obed moved on to the place where David now lives.
He had seven children, four of whom died in infancy. Of those who survived,
Mary married Eliphalet Cass, of Stanstead, P.Q.; Russell T. married Elizabeth
Patterson, and lives in Cross Creek, Pa.; and Ransel married Sally Farmer,
and is now a physician of West Concord, Vt. Mrs. Johnson died March 15,
1821, and in 1822, Obed married Polly Palmer who died in 1828. He then
married Mrs. Mary (Foster) Sheldon, who bore him seven children, viz.;
David F., Lovisa J., Levi, Susan M., Eli, Ruth F. and Hattie. Obed died
June 12, 1858, and his widow still survives him, a resident of Sutton,
Vt. David F. Johnson, son of Obed, has always lived on the place where
he was born, on road 33; has always been a prominent man in town; was postmaster
twenty-five years, representative three times, selectman six years, lister
fifteen years, and has been justice of the peace for the past eight years.
He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal church, and also of the Masonic
Ephriam Fairbanks came from Bolton, Mass. to Westminster, Vt., among
the first settlers, and came to Newark about seventy years ago. Ephriam,
Jr., born in Westminster in 1778, came to Newark in 1825, and lived where
Joseph Dolloff now lives, on road 22. He married Hannah Carpenter, of Westminster,
and reared seven children, of whom Warner W. married Betsey Taft, of Sutton,
in 1836, and had five children, of whom Lucy Ann married Sumner Hartwell,
of West Burke; Louisa J. married Miles Cole, of Newark; Lorilla died in
October, 1880; S. W. married Estella McQueen, of Newark, March 26, 1878,
and has one child, Leora, born March 23, 1882, and lives on the old farm
with his parents, on road 31. He is now second selectman. One son, Alonzo,
is a Methodist minister, and now preaches in Colorado, where he has a large
farm. Horace Fairbanks, the oldest son of Ephriam, Jr., first settled where
Joseph Gero now lives, on road 26. He married Mary Dexter, of Newark, and
had eight children, three of whom are living. Diana married Daniel McFarland,
of St. Johnsbury, Vt.; Mary married Russell Farnsworth, and lives in Forestburg,
Dakota; Deming D. married Mary J. Spencer, of Westmore, Vt., and they have
three children, Myrtie M., Mary E. and Warren H.; Melvin died when five
years old. Horace was a very earnest and active supporter of the Methodist
church, also a strong temperance man.
John Sleeper came to this town in 1812, from Unity, N.H., and located
with his wife and three children where his son John now lives. He and his
wife were both members of the Baptist church. Of their eight children,
John, Jr., is the only one living. He married Chestina Powers, of Sutton,
and they have had four children, viz.: Alison P., living in Lyndonville,
married Fidelia Corlis; Lyman O. married Mary Jane Walter, and lives near
the old home, and is associated with his father in carrying on the farm;
and Nettie died when three years old.
John Foster came with his wife from Greenfield, Mass., to Vermont,
about 1800. He was a man universally liked and respected, and there were
born to him seven children. John, Jr., was a teamster, noted from that
section of the country to Boston, Mass., whither he drove a six-horse team
for about twenty-five years. He married Ruth Rich, of Maidstone, and four
of their children are now living, of whom Ruel S. is living in this town.
Ruel S. has a son, Rufus C., who married Fidelia Walter, of East Haven.
They have four children, Jesse M., Charles R., Georgie L. and Henry I.
One son, Almon, died June 23, 1875.
James Corliss, born in Sandwich, N.H., married Lydia Brier, of that
town, and had nine children. Hannah married Lauren Sleeper; Dorothy married
D. Cushing; James lives in East Brookfield, Mass.; Elhanan W.; William
B.; in San Francisco; Elmira married Perez Burr; Henry lives in Kentucky;
Dennison lives in Spencer, Mass.; and Samuel B. The latter lived in Brookfield,
Mass., five years, then came to Newark. He has been an extensive hop grower,
and has been in office a large part of the time since coming to the town.
He has been in the legislature two terms, selectman twelve years, and justice
of the peace as many, an office he still holds. His children are Idella,
Windsor A., Elva M. and Fred P. The latter married Alida Jenkins, of Burke,
and they have one child, Robbie P. Elhanan W. Corliss married Mary Maynard,
of Brookfield, Mass. They had one child, William H., who died in infancy.
His wife died in 1862. He then married Mary Hunter, of Spencer, Mass.,
and their children are Harry M., Arthur B. and Anna M. Mr.
Corliss formerly lived in Fitchburg, Mass., and in Spencer, Mass. fifteen
years. He has served this town in the legislature.
Willard Kelley is the son of Nathaniel Kelley, of St. Johnsbury,
who died in Derby, in 1870, aged ninety-three years. He and his wife were
both members of the Congregational church, and he was a very kind and liberal
man. Of their children, Daniel lives in Derby, Jedediah in Bethlehem, N.H.,
Charles in California, Nathaniel in Derby, Lucy in Wisconsin, and Willard
in this town. The latter married Octavia Harrington, and they have three
children, Wesley A., who lives in Arkansas, Scotta W. and Erwin. Willard
served in Co B, 11th Vt. Vols.
Henry Dolloff came to this town in 1836. He was a son of John Dolloff,
of Conway, N.H., and first settled on the place now occupied by Joseph
L. Dolloff, on road 22. He was the youngest of fourteen children, all of
whom are deceased. Henry married Phebe Lowd, daughter of Joseph Lowd, of
Conway, N.H., and they had five children, viz.: Albert lives in this town;
Russell married Lorinda Ball, of Newark, daughter of Lucius Ball; Amos
lives in this town; Eliza married, first, Moses W. Fuller of Charleston,
Vt., who died in Texas, and second, Samuel Fassett, of Maine, and they
now live in Meridian, Texas; Joseph L. married Cynthia Joyce, of Canada,
and has had five children, four of whom died in infancy, while Roy E. is
living, and they have one adopted child, Fred H. Henry was justice
of the peace twenty-five years or more, and was believed to be very fair
and impartial in his decisions. He died January 8, 1866. His son Joseph
L. has been town clerk for twenty-five years, and treasurer nearly as long.
Oscar C. Woodruff, son of Erastus, married Emma Dolloff, of this
town, and they have one child, Ella. Lot P. Woodruff and Hannah Miller
were married in 1800. They lived in Tinmouth, Vt., till 1803, then lived
successively in Westmore, Brownington and Burke, Vt. They left Westmore
on account of the Indians and the War of 1812. After moving to Burke, Lot
became a noted hunter, and many stories are in existence of his bear hunting.
He was one of the county committee who had charge of working out the land
tax on the first county road from Burke to Brownington. He and his wife
were members of the Baptist church, and they are both buried in Burke Hollow
cemetery. Erastus, son of Lot, began his married life on the Zenas Brown
farm, south of West Burke. He occupied successively the A. W. Thayer place
and the old homestead now occupied by Elias Gaskell. This was before there
was any West Burke, the Hollow being the only village in the town and the
smartest village in the northern part of the county. In 1840 he moved
to the Hollow and embarked in the mercantile business, which he continued
a dozen years, then moved to Lyndon Center, and became the landlord of
the hotel, a position he held a dozen years. He subsequently came to Newark,
where he lived till his death. Mr. Woodruff reared a family of seven children,
five of whom are now living, George W. of West Burke, Mary (Mrs. Simeon
L. Strout), Juliet (Mrs. Dwight Lawton), Charles A. (a captain in the regular
army), and Oscar C., who resides on the home farm in Newark.
Charles C. Lee is a son of Seth and Phebe (Walker) Lee, of Peacham,
Vt., who had a family of ten children, of whom Marcius, Elizabeth, Maria
and Charles C. are all that are living. Charles C. married Charlotte W.
Foster, of Moretown, Vt., who bore him two children, Sarah, who married
Charles Bean, and lives on road 14, and Leonard, who died when four years
old. For his second wife he married Mrs. Eunice (Brickett) Woodard, who
bore him nine children, viz.: Villetta, Charles F., Julia A., Emily J.,
Ella M., Gertie E., Leonard B., Louisa G. and Ida E. Charles went to California
in 1862, and was there several years.
James McQueen, of Scottish descent, served in the British army thirty
years. He was at the battle of Waterloo, and soon after came to Canada
and was stationed at Quebec fifteen years, then moved to Barnet, Vt., was
there ten years, lived in Ryegate eighteen years, afterwards lived in Whitefield,
N.H., and then in Concord, Vt., where he died in 1876, aged ninety-eight
years and eleven months. He was a man of remarkable memory, and could relate
incidents of every battle he was in with great exactness. He had six children,
five boys and a girl. Of these, three are living, John, in Jefferson, N.H.;
Alexander, in Concord, Vt.; and James, Jr., in Newark. The latter married
Almira Brown, of Sheffield, and they have six children, viz.: William J.,
Henry B., Estella, Ulysses G., Harley and Eva.
Eli Bruce came from Troy, N.H., in 1852, and located near where
Hiram Spencer now lives. After eleven years he went to Wisconsin, in 1875,
and died there in 1882. He was a noted singer. He married Sarah Pearsons,
of Weston, Vt. Of his six children, Sarah S. married Russell Sleeper; Abbie
E. married Carlos Morrow; Wallace W. married Mary Hastings, of Newark,
and they have two children, Guy E. and Maud E.
Aaron Garfield and family were the seventh to settle in Glover,
Vt. They were closely related to President Garfield's ancestors. They reared
six children—Isaac, Ira, Stephen, John, Sally and Ralph. John married Esther
Daniels, of Keene, N.H., and lived in Glover. He was a Baptist preacher
in that town ten years, and then in what is now the town of Stannard ten
years, and in Wheelock twenty-five years. John had eight children—Isaac,
Elvira, Lovina and Russell C. lived, while four died in infancy. For his
second wife he married Maria Perrin, of Stannard, who bore him two children,
Alvin and Alice. Russell C. married Sarah Abbott, of Cabot, who bore him
two children. Alonzo, who died when five years old, and Frank B., who lives
with his father, having married Mary Lane, of Lunenburg, who died in September,
1881, and for his second wife Mary Smith, of Burke, who has borne him one
child, Lulu M.
Jabez Smith was born in Ipswich, Mass., in 1766, in the sixth generation
from Richard Smith, who came from Suffolk county, England, about 1635,
being one of the first settlers in that town. Jabez, Jr., one of seven
children of Jabez, first mentioned, married Sophronia Smith, of Burke,
Vt., February 3, 1839, a daughter of Asa Smith. They lived in Newark a
large portion of the time after marriage. Mr. Smith died May 1, 1885. A
county paper in an obituary said: "Hon. Jabez Smith died Friday, May 1,
1885, in the seventy-third year of his age. He leaves a widow and one son
and a daughter to mourn their irreparable loss, M. W. Smith, of Worcester,
Mass., and Mrs. Myron W. Ham, of Newark. Judge Smith was born in Canaan,
N.H., October 16, 1812. He was a man of marked integrity and great moral
worth. * * * As a citizen, he was promoted to offices
of distinction and trust, all of which he filled with unwavering fidelity.
He was a member of the general assembly from Newark five terms, held the
office of selectman twenty years, and was assistant judge in 1882, and
again in 1884. His religious preferences were with the Methodists, although
he was no sectarian. He exerted a noble, christian influence in every department
of labor to secure its highest ends."
David Stoddard, who lived in Chesterfield, N.H., had a family of
ten children. Luther, one of the sons, married Hannah Farr, of that town.
They had seven children, three of whom are living—Elmira, wife of Jonathan
Davis, of Sutton, Vt.; Alvina M., who married Henry Packer, of this town;
and Almon, who married Rebecca R. Taylor, of Danbury, and lives in this
town, on road 19. The latter has three children—Herbert W., who lives at
home, Adeline, who married Frank Norris, and lives in Sutton, Vt. and Carl
L., who lives at home.
Thomas Cheney, who came from England about 1735, lived in Lunenburgh,
Vt. and is buried there. The Cheney family of this town are his descendants.
There was a large family of children, among whom was Ira, who married Hannah,
daughter of Daniel Chappel, a Baptist minister, of Sutton, Vt. Ira first
began housekeeping where Myron Ham now lives. They had ten children, of
whom Walter C., of this town, married Emma J. Bemis, of Burke, Vt. Their
only child, Will G., married Kate Gile, of Walden, Vt., and has two children,
Anna L. and Clara M. Ira was a live, wide-awake, stirring man.
He went into the woods in the eastern part of the town and built a camp
and lived thus one year, and then built a house and settled there. Walter
C., his son, was one of the census enumerators in 1880. He has held a large
portion of the town offices, and has lived on the farm he now occupies,
on road 17, about twenty years. His son resides with him.
Joel Hart came to Wallingford, Vt., from Connecticut, about 1790.
Of his ten children, George married Mary Hudson, of Wallingford, and had
nine children. During his younger days he was a peddler in New York state.
Later in life he was a large producer of charcoal in Barnstead, P. Q. William
A. his son, was born in Newark, Vt. in 1844. The family moved to Canada
when he was seven years old, and lived there about seven years. His father
died in 1861. In 1862, William A. enlisted in Co. C, 8th Vt. Regt.
At Boutee Station, La., he was taken prisoner and carried to Camp Pratt,
La. There he was kept seven weeks, and was then carried to Vicksburg, and
after five more weeks was paroled. He married Marietta A. Hudson, of East
Haven, and they have four children, Fred D., Edgar A., Cyrus L. and Frank
Joseph Gero was born in Barque, P.Q., about 1815. He married Julia
A. Lemoine, of Bell Isle, P.Q. They had eleven children of whom Henry lives
in Newark, married Louisa Scott, of Danville, P.Q., by whom he has two
children living, William H. and Hattie J. She died February 6, 1877. He
then married Julia Murphy, from Maple Grove, P.Q. and has three children,
Edward J., Mary E. and Louis E. Henry Gero was a soldier in Co. A,
1st Vt. Artillery, was in the battles of Spottsylvania Court House, Cold
Harbor, South Petersburg, Maryland Heights,Winchester, Fisher Hill, Cedar
Creek, Petersburg and Appomattox Court House.
James Drown, born in 1829, is now a farmer in Melbourne, Can. There
were two children born to him by his first wife, Warner and Alvin, The
latter married Allie B. Abbot, of Newark, and they have two children, Ella
J. and Caroline W.
Isaiah Bunker lived in Gilmanton, N.H. in 1812, a prominent member
of the Methodist church, and a large and successful farmer. He married
Judith Smith, and they had twelve children, of whom seven are now living.
His son Obadiah married Lucinda Gay, of Starksboro, Vt. and has had eight
children, seven of whom are living. William, son of Obadiah, married Olive
Ordway, of Randolph, N.H. They have had eight children, Nathaniel O., Milo
A., Effie A., who married Henry Lachance, who died December 4, 1881, and
then Lovell Hudson, and lives in Brighton, Vt.; Mary E., who married Alvin
J. French and lives in Brighton; Robert W., Albert L., Ira M. and Mattie
G. William Bunker served in Co. K, 8th Vt. Vols., was taken prisoner
at Bayou Desalmonds, La., taken to Spanish Lake, and then to Vicksburg;
was paroled there and went to New Orleans, then to Ship Island.
Russell Carroll was born in Townshend, Vt., in 1789. He married
Phebe Chaffee, of Westminster, Vt., and lived to the age of seventy-seven
years. There were twelve children born to him, four of whom are living,
viz.: Joseph, Elmira, Charles, and Alvin who lives on road 4. Alvin has
been a justice of the peace for a number of years. He married Lodoska Hartwell,
of Newark, and they have had two children, Charles R., killed in the late
war, and Wesley P. Alvin's wife died in August, 1859, and he married Matilda
West, of Newark, in May, 1864.
Joel Bean is a son of Loammi C. and grandson of Joel Bean, who lived
in Brentwood, N.H., and died there. Loammi married Hannah Brickett, of
Lowell, Mass. and there were born to him seven children, six of whom are
living, viz.: Charles L., Andrew, Chester, Dora, Roxa and Joel.
Byron G. Howard was born in Maine, in 1826, and came to Newark in
1873. He married Mary Smith, of Lyman, N.H., in 1854, and they have had
seven children, three of whom are living, viz.: Luella N., Mary L. and
James B., the latter of whom married Mary J. Peavy of Lyndon.
Alonzo S. Hudson, postmaster at East Newark, is the son of Silas
P. and Eliza (Delancy) Hudson, of Athens, Vt. Silas P. served in
Co. K, 11th Vt., Vols., during the Rebellion, was taken prisoner, and after
languishing in Andersonville prison three months, died of exposure and
starvation. Alonzo S. married Alice Gero of Brighton., Vt. They have two
children, Gracie E. and Gertie E.
Isaac C. Hudson was born in East Haven, in 1849. He married Flora
E. Shattuck, and they have had four children, Alonzo I., Bertie and Bertha
(twins), and Eliza, deceased. When quite young Isaac manifested strong
inclinations for the chase, and became an expert in both hunting and trapping.
He now often serves hunting parties as a guide.
Charles H. Hall, son of Charles and Sally (Kennerson) Hall, and
nephew of the late Dudley P. Hall, married Abbie Lee, of Victory, a descendant
of one of the first settlers of that town, and they have three children,
Bertha A., Edna L. and Isabel.
There is no regular preaching in Newark. There is quite a good church
building owned by the inhabitants of town, which was built by subscription
as a "union church." The people are somewhat divided in their religious
opinions. Some are Adventists, some Methodists, and some Congregationalists.
of Caledonia and Essex Counties, VT.; 1764-1887, Compiled and Published
by Hamilton Child; May 1887, Pages 259-269]
was provided by Tom Dunn.