XX indexVermont  





     Barnet enjoys the distinction of having been the first town in the county to receive a white settler.  It lies in the southeastern part of the county, upon the Connecticut river, in latitude 44º 19' and longitude 4º 55',* and is bounded on the northwest by Peacham and Danville, east by Waterford, southeast by the Connecticut, and south by Ryegate. These bounds embrace an area of 25,524 acres. Ryegate was the first town in the county to receive a charter, and eight days later, September 16, 1763, Barnet was chartered. The charter deed, granted by the royal Governor of New Hampshire, Hon. Benning Wentworth, does not differ materially from other charters of the time, as set forth in other-chapters of this work, and in which the new township is described and bounded as follows:

     Beginning at the northwesterly corner of Ryegate, thence south sixty-eight degrees east by Ryegate to the southeasterly corner thereof, being a tree, standing on the banks of the westerly side of Connecticut river, thence up said river as that tends; so far as to make six miles on a straight line, thence turning off and running north twenty-eight degrees west so far that a straight line drawn from that period to the northwesterly corner of Ryegate, the bounds begun at, shall include the contents of six miles square or 23,040 acres and no more, out of which an allowance is to be made for highways and improvable lands by rocks, ponds, mountains and rivers, one thousand and forty acres free, according to the plan and survey thereof made by our said Governor's order and returned to the secretary's office and hereto annexed." *As the whole county is in north latitude, and longitude it reckoned east from Washington, the words north and east will be omitted.

     The other conditions of the grant are immaterial, because of no present value except as a curiosity, for the Revolution swept away all the royal restrictions, though the United States government confirmed the grant. 

     On the Connecticut and Passumpsic rivers are extensive intervals. The rest of the town is uneven and in some parts elevated. The town is well watered and the soil very productive. Harvey's lake in the southwestern part of the town is nearly a mile and a half long and more than half a mile wide near the middle, and has a surface of more than three hundred acres. Ross's pond, near the center of the town, a third of a mile long and a quarter of a mile wide, covers about fifty acres. Moor's pond, near the center of the town, covers about twenty acres. All the streams of the town empty into the Connecticut. A stream from Ryegate enters Harvey's lake at the south end, and Stevens river issues from the north end of the lake, flows a southeasterly direction and empties into the Connecticut river about two and a half miles from the southeast corner of the town. About 150 rods from its mouth it falls eighty feet in twenty rods, and presents a grand view when the water is high. A stream from Peacham enters it near the lake and another considerable stream from the same town enters it about four miles from its mouth. A small stream issues out of Ross's pond and flows through Moor's pond and enters the Connecticut about a quarter of a mile below the Passumpsic. Joe's river issues from Joe's pond in Danville, and flows a southeasterly direction through the town, and enters the Passumpsic about a mile and a half from its mouth.  It is the largest stream in Barnet except the Passumpsic, and is also called Merritt's river, because John Merritt owned land near its mouth. Enerick brook, coming from Danville, enters the Passumpsic about a mile above the mouth of Joe's river. The Passumpsic, the longest and largest river in the county, comes from St. Johnsbury through the corner of Waterford, enters the town in the northeastern part, and gradually turns and flows south, emptying into the Connecticut about two miles and a half from the northeastern corner of the town. Major Rogers and his rangers came down this river from Canada in his expedition to punish the St. Francis tribe of Indians in October, 1759, and being disappointed in not receiving provisions when they came to the Connecticut, a number of them died of starvation and fatigue, as related in the preceding history of the county. 

     In 1880, Barnet had a population of 1,907 souls.   In 1886 the town had fifteen school districts and sixteen common schools, employing one male and twenty six female teachers, to whom was paid an average weekly salary, including board, of $4.75 to the former and $6.59 to the latter. There were 441 scholars, 56 of whom were attending private schools. The entire income for school purposes was $3,307.42, while the whole expenditures were $3,406.56, with D.B. Locke, superintendent. 

     Barnet is a post, village situated on Stevens river, ten miles from St. Johnsbury. At this point in the distance of a hundred rods the river makes, a fall of over an hundred feet, affording splendid water-power, which is utilized to a considerable extent. The village has a  Presbyterian church, good schools, two hotels, the Neillson House and "Traveler's Rest," also two livery stables. Its manufactures are fishing rods, children's sleds, boxes, flour and feed, harnesses and tinware. Its merchants are Henry E. Wilson, also, postmaster. W.H. Burbank, T.R. Stiles, R.M. Johnson; A.S. Laughlin, jeweler. The physicians are T.R. Stiles and H.J. Hazelton. It has a station on the Passumpsic railroad. 

     West Barnet is a post village five miles west of Barnet, its railroad station. It has two general stores, a manufactory of butter boxes, camp chairs, lumber and shingles, and a grist-mill.  It has two Presbyterian churches. 

     McIndoe's Falls is handsomely located in the valley of the Connecticut river, near the south line of the town. It is the most populous and largest business village in Barnet. It is connected with the village of Monroe, N.H., by a bridge across the Connecticut river. It contains many fine residences, which are mostly upon a wide and elegant street running up and down the river. It is a post village, has a railroad station on the Passumpsic railroad, one Congregational church, one hotel, one lawyer, and one physician. Its manufactures are harnesses and lumber. George Van Dyke carries on a very large lumber business, giving employment to two hundred men. His logs are brought down the river by the spring freshets. He ships annually many million feet of lumber. It has two general merchants, one grocery, and one milliner. Mclndoe's Falls academy is a literary institution of merit. 

     Passumpsic is a post village in the northern part of the town on Passumpsic river. It has a station on the Passumpsic railroad. There is a church of the Baptist denomination, a large flouring mill run by E.T. & H.K. Ide.  The Passumpsic Pulp Co. have a large manufactory. There are, three stores. It is a pleasantly located and thriving village. 

     East Barnet, a post village, was commenced by James McLaren, who, settled here about the beginning of the century, and who, with his son, erected and operated a saw-mill on the falls of the Passumpsic. When the railroad was built a station was established here called “MeLaren's”  and the valuable water-power lead to the establishment of other manufactories. Later, A. B. Norris engaged extensively in the manufacture of bobbins and other turned work, and secured the establishment of a postoffice under the name of “Norrisville,”Rev. Mr. Blanchard being the first postmaster. Norris failed in business, the mills passed into other hands, and the postoffice was called “McLaren's” for a few years, but about four years since became “ East Barnet,” its present name. The village now contains a church (Congregational), grocery store, postoffice, railroad station, fifteen or twenty houses and the pulpmill of Wilder & Co. 

      J. F. Mulliken's circular saw-mill, off road 27, was build by John and John F. Mulliken about 1855, and has been owned by the present proprietor ever since, with the exception of two years. He does custom work, sawing 200,000 to 600,000 feet of rough lumber and shingles per year. 

      Hunter & Jenkins's grist-mill at Barnet village, was purchased by them in August, l886, succeeding Robie & Burbank. The mill does custom and merchant work, has three runs of stones, with a capacity of grinding 500 bushels of grain per day. 

      George Van Dyke has at McIndoe's Falls the largest lumber manufactory establishment in the northern part of Vermont. He employs an average of eighty hands, turning out 15,000,000 feet of lumber annually.

      Wilder & Co. carry on the manufacture of wood pulp at East Barnet. The mill was established by J. G. Moore, of Lisbon, N.H., in 1880. There are two large grinders, and three cylinders. They employ eleven men, and produce 906 tons of pulp annually.

      Owen Somer’s saw-mill and shingle-mill, on road 57, is conducted by water-power from a branch of Stevens river. It was first established about thirty years ago, by James B. Stuart and brother, and turns out 300,000 feet of lumber and 700,000 shingles annually. 

      John F. Hardy carries on at Barnet village the manufacture of carriages, a general blacksmithing business, and the sale of caskets and coffins. He also has bending works for manufacturing sled runners, etc., and gives employment to four hands. His factory is located on Stevens river, from which he derives his power.

      Howe & Bonett manufacture wood pulp at Barnet village. The business was first established in 1880, by Gould & Somers. Their factory is conducted by water-power from Stevens river, and their buildings are heated by steam. They employ five hands, producing five hundred tons of pulp yearly.

      Alexander Jack's steam dye works, on road 49, on Stevens river, has a never failing water privilege. It was erected for the purpose of tanning and dying sheep skins for carriage and parlor mats, for which he has a patent process. The last few years it has been used in the manufacture of hydraulic extractors and other machine work.

      E.T. & H.K. Ide, of St. Johnsbury, have a grist-mill at Passumpsic. The power is one of the best in Vermont and is received from the Passumpsic river. The first mill was established by Kendall & Potter nearly one hundred years ago. Timothy Ide, grandfather to the present owners, purchased the property in 1813. He and his son Jacob run the mill until his death, about 1837, when the latter carried on the business for thirty years; and now his sons E. T. and H. K. are proprietors. In October, 1883, the mill was destroyed by fire. A new mill has been erected on the site, with a view of putting in machinery for making flour by the roller process. They now grind large quantities of corn.

      Ezra J. Roy's saw, shingle and lath-mill, on road 72, is run by water-power from Jennett's brook. He employs five hands, and turns out 500,000 feet of lumber, 550,000 shingles, 30,000 lath, and 25,000 feet of clapboards annually. 

      James E. Smith has a factory on road 57, near West Barnet, for the manufacture of butter boxes, prints and general wood work. The factory is on Stevens river, and gives employment to four men. The business was started at the present location twelve years ago by Stuart & McMillan.

      Bailey & Co. have a wood turning factory on Stevens river, one-half mile from Barnet village. Their power is a combination of water and steam. They manufacture wooden notions, and employ from fifteen to twenty hands.

      John M. Randall's saw-mill is located on Joe's brook. The business first carried on at the site was a foundry, where was manufactured the "Moore" plow, or "Scotch" plow, by John and William Moore, about fifty years ago. Mr. Randall now does only a custom sawing business, owing to the scarcity of lumber in the vicinity.

      The Passumpsic Pulp Company have extensive works at Passumpsic village for the manufacture of wood pulp. The business was established in 1879, by F. A. & G. F. Cushman. The works were burned in October, 1884, and re-built the same year. The company now consists of A. C. Russell of Lowell, Mass, president; George S. Cushing, of Lowell, secretary and treasurer; and George F. Cushman, of Passumpsic, superintendent. The power is supplied by Passumpsic river. They employ seven hands and turn out 1,500 tons of pulp annually.

      J. P. Miller's grist mill, at West Barnet, does an extensive business in both custom and merchant milling. It is conducted by water-power, supplied by the outlet of Harvey's lake. Mr. Miller does a business of twenty thousand dollars annually.

      The first settlement in the town and county was made March 4. 1770. The first settlers were Daniel, Jacob and Elijah Hall, three brothers, and Jonathan Fowler. The first house in the town and county was built by the Hall's at the foot of the fall on Stevens river, on its north side. The three brothers, and probably Jonathan Fowler, received gratuitously from the proprietors one hundred acres of land each, to encourage them in settling the town. Daniel Hall's lot was the farm where Claud and Robert Somers first settled. Jacob Hall's lot included the meadows north of Stevens river, and Elijah Hall's lot was north of Rider's farm. Jonathan Fowler probably settled first on the north end or the McIndoe plain, and then in the southwestern part of the town, in the Harvey tract. Sarah, daughter of Elijah Hall, was the first child born in the town and county. She was married December 27, 1787, to James McLaren, in the seventeenth year of her age. She died at an advanced age, Barnet Fowler, son of Jonathan Fowler, was the first male child born in Barnet, and probably in the county. The Fowler family moved to Shipton, C.E., about 1810. Daniel Hall's wife was the first person who died in town after its settlement. She was buried in the graveyard at Stevens village. She was the mother of Dr. Abither Wright, who was a physician here. Jacob Hall had but one son, Moses, to whom he sold his farm, but they afterwards moved to Shipton. Daniel Hall moved to St. Johnsbury, thence to Lyndon, and thence to Burke, where he died, having been an early settler in four towns in this county.

      The settlement gradually increased till the influx of settlers under the Scotch company, as detailed in the sketch of Ryegate. The following from the records gives the names of the early settlers:—

      "Barnet, January 29, 1784: Now and formerly the persons mentioned took the Freeman's oath: Peter Sylvester, Samuel Perie, James Cross, Alexander Thompson, Stevens Rider, Elijah Hall, Walter Brock, James Stuart, Samuel Stevens, John Merritt, James Orr, Daniel McFarlane, Jacob Hall, Bartholomew Somers, James Gilchrist, Alexander Harvey, William Tice, Hugh Ross, John McFarlane, Robert Twadell, William Stevenson, John McLaren, Ezekiel Manchester, Robert Somers, John Waddell, Robert McFarlane, John Ross, Andrew Lackie, Archibald Harvey, Peter Lang, Cloud Stuart, Walter Stuart, Daniel Hall, Thomas Smith, and George Garland.  January 29, 1784, the following gentlemen took the Freeman's oath in as far as it agrees with the Word of God: John Waddell, Hugh Ross, John McFarlane, John McLaren, Ezekiel Manchester, Robert Somers, Andrew Lackie, Archibald Harvey, Cloud Stuart, Walter Stuart, and George Garland. Barnet, March 11, 1785, the following persons took the Freeman's oath: John Robertson, William Robertson, Moses Hall, Levi Hall, Robert Blair, James Buchanan, William Maxwell, Isaac Brown, Elijah Hall, Jr., and Simon Perie. April 6, 1785: John Youngman, William Warden, and Hugh Cammell. August 27, 1785: Joseph Bonet. September 5: John Mclndoe, John Hindman. 1787: John Gilkenson. May 1: John Goddard: September 4, 1788: Enos Stevens. March 11: John Rankins, William Gilfillan, Sr., John McNabb, James McLaren, and Andrew Lang. February 2, 1789: Alexander McIlroy, Samuel Huston. March 10: Thomas Hazeltine, Phileas Aimes, Phineas Thurston, Oliver Stevens, Ephraim Pierce, Moses Cross, Job Abbott, and Levi Sylvester. February 4, 1790: Aaron Wesson, Dr. Stevens, John Mitchell, John Stevens, Timothy Hazeltine, Cloud Somers, and John Galbraith. September 24: Joseph Hazeltine. December 7: Thomas Gilfillan, William Innes, John Waddell, Jr., and William Lang."

      In 1790 the population had increased to 477 souls. The subsequent growth of the town is shown by the census table for the county on another page.

      By the terms of its charter, the town's first meeting for the choice of officers was to be held on the first Tuesday of October, 1764. This meeting was held accordingly, but no record of its transactions is left, as indeed may be said of all subsequent meetings down to that of March 18, 1783. The records down to this date, it is claimed, were lost, how tradition saith not. At this meeting, however, where the present town records begin, the following officers were elected: Alexander Harvey, president; Walter Brock, clerk; James Gilchrist, Thomas Smith, and Bartholomew Somers, selectmen; James Orr and Stevens Rider, constables; James Cross, treasurer; James Stuart and Peter Sylvester, listers; John McLaren and Jacob Hall, collectors; James Gilchrist, grand juror; Peter Lang and Robert Brock, tithingmen; James Stuart, sealer of weights and measures; Alexander Thompson, William Rider and Archibald Harvey, road surveyors; Elijah Hall and George Garland, fence surveyors. Alexander Harvey also was the town's first representative. The first justices of the peace appointed by the state were Walter Brock and James Gilchrist. Col. John Hurd, of Haverhill, N.H., built the first saw and grist-mill in the town and county, in 1771-72. It was located on the “falls of Stevens river.”

      Col. Alexander Harvey was sent out by a syndicate of farmers of Dundee, Scotland, to locate lands for them in this country. In 1775 he located probably 7,000 acres of land in the southwest part of this town, including Harvey's lake. Owing to the breaking out of the Revolution, many who had been sent out by him and located lands never came to settle them, and all communication between those who did come and their friends in Scotland were cut off.  Col. Harvey married Jannette, daughter of Walter Brock, who settled here in 1776. They had a family of sixteen children, thirteen of whom lived to grow up, of whom Isabel, born November 21, 1798, married Alexander Brock, and is the only one now living. She resides with her daughter, Mrs. John C. Welch, in the village of Barnet.

      Claudius Stuart came from Scotland and settled on the hill north of West Barnet about 1775. He had been a soap and candle chandler in Glasgow, was sixty-two years of age, married, and had a large family when he came to this country. Two of the sons were drowned in the Connecticut river, just below McIndoes Falls. They were ferrying across the river when their horse became restive and backed the wagon into the stream. Alexander succeeded his father on the farm, and was followed by his son William, whose sons William and George, and daughter, Abbie H. now occupy the old homestead.

      Walter Brock came from Scotland and settled on road 54, near West Barnet, in 1776. He brought his wife with him from Scotland, she being a Stuart, who were also among the first settlers of the town. They reared a family of ten children. He was the first town clerk of Barnet, and was also a general merchant at West Barnet, and built the first grist-mill and first saw-mill in town, at the outlet of Harvey's lake. William S. Brock, a grandson of Walter Brock, was a farmer on road 39. He married Mary S., daughter of James and Sarah (Stevens) Wright, she being a descendant of one of the first settlers, from whom the present village of Barnet was first named Stevens Village, and also a river which run through the town derives its name from the same family. William and Mary Brock had a family of eight, six of whom are still living, of whom Maynor D. married Emma M. Lovering, of Lynn, Massachusetts. He was a clerk in a. store in Boston previous to the late war, in which he enlisted in Co. F., 15th Vt. Vols. Infantry. During the war he received injuries, which has rendered him an invalid for life. Leonard W. and William S. also enlisted in the same company, William S. being at the time only eighteen years of age. James W. enlisted in the 2nd Vt. Regt. Lucius S. was drafted into the service in 1863. Thus from one family were five sons engaged in their country's service. Sarah W. married A. B. Trussell, of Hamilton, Mass: Lucius S. married Jennie Smith, of Passumpsic. Leonard W. married Etta Wolcott, of North Conway, N.H. William S. married Jennie Stanley of this town. He carries on a large bottling business, and keeps a hotel called the "Travellers Rest."  James married Sarah E. Wells, of Waterbury, and is a resident of Montpelier, and, until recently, of the firm of Lane, Pitkin & Brock, manufacturers of portable saw-mills. William S. Brock's brothers were Walter, Joel, Harvey, Charles and Isaac. His sisters were Mary and Jeanette.

      William Stevenson and James Cross came to this town together in 1776, emigrating from Scotland. Each took up one hundred and fifty acres of land, drawing their lots from the tract of 7,000 acres located by Colonel Harvey in 1775. These lots adjoined on road 48, William Stevenson married Jeannette McCormick, a native of Scotland. They had a family of four children, of whom one daughter died in infancy. William, Jr., is the only one of the family now living. He married Janette Gilfillan, of this town, and has reared a family of eleven children, eight of whom are living, viz.: William M., Thomas, James, Margaret, who married William McLaren, and Mary, reside in this town, and John H. and H. M., in Ryegate. Robert lives in Peacham. The elder William is still living, at the age of eighty years, on a farm on road 82. 

      William Stevenson, a native of Scotland, came to this town at quite an early date, with his wife and family of ten children, and settled on a farm on road 44, where he resided until his death. None of the family settled in the town except William, the youngest son, who occupied the old homestead. He married Margaret Gray, a daughter of parents who emigrated from Scotland to Canada, and came to this town in 1844. William reared a family of eight children, all of whom are living. Fred is a graduate of Gaskell's business college, and resides at Bridgeport, Conn.  Annie married Charles Priest, overseer in Moen & Washburn's wire factory at Worcester, Mass.  George and Frank live in Lowell, Mass: Mary and Maggie live with their mother. Justin and Charles carry on the old homestead. Mrs. Stevenson's father served through the late war, and her only brother died from sickness in the early part of the war, after a year's service. William Stevenson died very suddenly, April 15, 1885.

      William Warden came to this town from Greenock, Scotland, in 1784, and located on the farm now occupied by Horace J. Warden. James, his son, who occupied the old farm after his father's death, for many years, married Elizabeth Gibson, of Ryegate, a descendant of parents who came from Scotland, she being a native of that country. They had a family of thirteen, ten of whom lived to be men and women, and four are now living, viz.: Elizabeth married Elisha Peck; of St. Johnsbury, who claimed to have helped to finish the first set of scales the Fairbanks Co. ever built, and who died in June, 1883. Marion married Henry C. Phelps, of Remington, Ind. Jane married Elijah Harvey, now deceased, and lives at Atchinson, Kansas.  Andrew married Lydia B. Peters, of Haverhill, N.H., a native of Ryegate, and they have six children, four sons and two daughters. He is a large farmer on road 21, near Joe's brook. William bought lot No.146, January 19, 1785, paying therefor ninety-five "Spanish Milled Dollars." He brought with him from Scotland his wife, Isabel Laird, and three sons and three daughters. His son James occupied the farm during his lifetime, being succeeded by his son William, who married Isabel Nelson, of Monroe, N.H. They had three sons and five daughters. The youngest daughter, Alice, died at the age of sixteen, in 1875. Robert, the eldest son, is a farmer in Iowa. Elizabeth J. married Amos Somers. Cynthia A. married William Gleason.  Mary A. lives with her mother at South Peacham. Horace J. occupies the old homestead. He married Maggie M. Dole, of Danville. Albert W. is a physician in New York city.  Abbie A. resides with her mother at South Peacham. Horace Worden has a relic of interest in his possession, a two-dollar bill of the Manufacturers' and Mechanics' Bank of Boston, Mass., issued April 29, 1814. The paper on which it is printed is of fine texture. C. Adams was cashier, and John Bellows, president.

      James Buchanan came to this town from Drummond, Stirlingshire, Scotland, in 1784 and located on road 71.  His brothers, Henry, Alexander and Peter also settled in the east part of the town. He married Elizabeth Hurd, of Rochester, N.H. They had eleven children, eight of whom lived to manhood and womanhood, viz.: Elizabeth married Benjamin Rollins, and after his death Levi Stockbridge; Anabel married Joshua Rollins, of Alton Bay, N.H.; Margaret married James Miller, a native of Scotland who removed  from that country to Demarara, South America, and afterwards to this town,  both of whom died at Greensboro, Vt.; Rebecca married Benjamin Glines, of Greensboro; Jennet married James McLaren, of this town, both dying in Greensboro; Peter married, first, Lucinda M. Dickinson, of Monroe, N.H. second, Betsey Blanchard, of Greensboro, Vt. and third, Sarah A. Weed, of Topsham, Vt., with whom he is now living. He has been engaged in farming, most of his life and has held various town offices, being one term representative of Barnet in the state legislature, and was twice elected assistant county judge of Caledonia county, and is now a resident of McIndoes Falls; Hannah married Thomas Hastie, and lived and died in Barnet; James, Jr. married Delight Scott, of Greensboro, Vt. Peter Buchanan had eight children, six of whom lived to grow up, and four of whom are now living, viz.: John E., in Kansas; Edmund H., in Iowa; Peter M., in California; and Anna E., wife of Dr. Albion S. Marden, of Danville. Peter has in his possession a brass clock which his father brought from Scotland. It was manufactured in 1806, and has run almost constantly since that date. He recently refused an offer of $150.00 for it.

      Alexander Roy came from Glasgow, Scotland, to this town in September, 1785. He worked a year here for a Mr. Galbraith, also a Scotchman, to pay his passage money to this country. He married, first, Lois Fuller, who died at the birth of her first child, and second, Sarah Hurd, of Rochester, N.H. They had a family of four sons and two daughters, as follows: One daughter died in infancy; Rebecca, widow of Dudley Nutter; James, born in May, 1800; Nathaniel, born in September, 1802; William, born June, 1805; and Joseph, born in 1808, all living in this town, except William, who resides in Chelsea, Mass. Nathaniel Roy married Margaret Gilfillan, a native of this town, whose father came from Scotland in the same vessel with Mr. Roy's father. They have had a family of eight children, four of whom are living. Joseph W. married Carrie Eggleston, of Groton.  John is carrying on a milk business in San Francisco. Nathaniel H., has been a resident of California twenty-three years. Jane married Moses Buchanan, and lives in Newbury. Nathaniel Roys' grandfather, Truston Hurd, cleared the farm on road 72, now occupied by Nathaniel and his son, Joseph W., an hundred years ago. He occupied the farm his lifetime, dying at the age of ninety-four years. His wife died at the age of eighty-nine. Mr. Hurd's father was killed by the Indians at Dover, N.H.  On Mr. Roy's farm is standing one of the oldest houses in the town, built about 1780. It is a one-story framed building, all the timber of oak. The nails are all hand-made and are sought as relics. 

      Rev. David Goodwillie built the house now occupied by William B. Gibson, on road 41, in 1790, It is the second oldest habitable house in town. On its walls was hung the first wallpaper ever put on a house in town. On this farm, also, was laid the first lead pipe to convey water in the town, and it is still in good condition, after having been in constant use for more than sixty years. The flow of water through this pipe has never been stopped but once. Rev. David Goodwillie was the first settled pastor in town. As an inducement to settle, the town gave him 200 acres of land, and on one fifty acre lot of this land this house was built. The other 150 acres were located in different parts of the town, and were sold for his benefit. He was pastor of the Barnet Center church forty years, and was succeeded by his son Thomas who also preached forty years. This is a remarkable record. A father and son pastors of one church for eighty years, perhaps without a parallel in the United States. 

      Robert Gilfillan, from Scotland, came to Barnet in 1794 and settled on road 62. He had married in his native country Jean McIndoe, and they reared a family of twelve children, all of whom lived to manhood and womanhood. Four only are now living: Robert is a farmer at Peacham; Archibald and Nancy reside on the old homestead; Jane married Alexander Blair, and is now a widow; John married Zerviah W. Carpenter, of Waterford. They had a family of eight, five of whom are living: Jonah in California; HenryA. married Maggie Morrison, of this town and is a farmer on road 47; William L. married, first, Vienna Aiken, and second, Ruth Bailey, of Peacham, and is a farmer on road 48; Helen married Hiram O. Marsh, of Concord, N.H.; Hannah lives with her brother, William L. 

      Duncan Harvey and Isabel, his wife, came from Scotland about 1800, and settled near the center of the town. They raised a family of four sons and four daughters, none of whom are now living. Ason married Phebe Hight, whose parents came to this town from Connecticut. They had five children—four daughters and one son—only two of whom are living, Helen D. who married Walter P. Phelps, a farmer in this town; and Daniel, who married Emily L. Bartlett, from Johnson: The latter has five children; three sons and two daughters, and is a large farmer on road 36. 

      Andrew Lindsay came to this town, from Greenock, Scotland, in 1801, a single man, about twenty-seven years of age. In 1808 he married Christina Galbraith, whose father, John Galbraith, came here from Scotland before the Revolutionary war, staying in this country until after the war closed and then returned to Scotland. Andrew Lindsay had four children who lived to maturity. When they had a family of four children, all were attacked with spotted fever, a terrible scourge which raged here in 1816, and three of them died. John G., the oldest, settled in the Province of Ontario, and died there. James M., married Amoret Johnston, of this town, and settled in Greensboro, where he now lives. Margaret C. married John Somers, who removed to Greensboro, and both died there. Peter married Margaret Lang, of this town, whose father, Andrew Lang, came here from Scotland in 1784, and her mother was a Johnston, born in Ryegate. They have seven children, viz.: Andrew O., who is in California; William married Mary Jane Judkins, of Danville, and is a farmer on road 20; Fenton H., a farmer and cattle dealer in California; Peter J., a miner in Colorado; Eveline married E. R. Hoyt, who lives at Durango, Colorado; Mary C. married James L. Judkins, a native of Danville, a carriage maker at South Peacham; Margaret J. married Frank E. Sproat, of Norwich, and now resides at Lowell, Mass. 

      Langdon Kendall was born in Barnet, in 1809. When one year old his parents removed to Bradford and when seventeen years of age he returned to this town and learned the cabinet maker's trade, in the shop of Darius Harvey. In 183l he bought the shop and business of Mr. Harvey and carried on the same for a number of years. He sold the business to Nathaniel Hazelton, and the factory exchanged hands a number of times, until Smith & Gilbert purchased it and carried on the business of manufacturing rakes, axe handles and wooden measures. For many years Mr. Kendall traveled for Messrs. E. & T. Fairbanks & Co. He married Louisa Woods, a native of this town, And they have had a family of five children, of whom are now living Mahala, who married J. D. Goold, of Passumpsic; Minerva married Henry Bruce, also of this town, Louisa married A. J. Miller, of Lunenburg; Milo lives at St. Paul, Minn., and Cyrus L. lives at Los Angeles, California. 

      Hugh Somers was born in this town June 21, 1810, and always lived here, with the exception of two years spent in Peacham. He was a gunsmith by trade, and manufactured rifles and telescopes in a factory on Joe's brook road. He at the same time carried on farming. He married Martha Sanderland, of Barnet, whose parents came from Scotland and were among the early settlers of the town. Hugh Somers's father and mother were also early settlers of the town, from Scotland, who cleared the farm on Joe's brook, mentioned above, in 1801. Hugh had a family of two children, a son and a daughter — Emily, married William Lester, of Lisbon, N.H., and both now deceased; Cumings married Jane Samuel, a native of Scotland. He is a farmer near the village of Barnet, on road 44. They have three sons, Burton W., Chester L., and Harligh A. 

      William Carrick was born in this town, June 13, 1814. His father was a native of Scotland and came here in 1801, from that country. His mother was Jane Somers, a native of Barnet.  William, who has always pursued farming, married Dorcas Wilson, also of this town, and they have had a family of seven children, only one of whom is now living. Bruce, born in 1856, attended school at St. Johnsbury with a view of entering college, but his plans were frustrated by sickness in 1878, which terminated in his death. Frank, at the age of twenty-one years, was thrown from a carriage and received injuries from which he died in February, 1882. Fred P. was born in 1862 and is now living. Burns died at the age of one year, and the three others all died in infancy. 

      Bartlett S. Bard was born in Barnet, May 9, 1815. He was a spinner and worked at that trade about twelve years. He has also learned the trade of carpenter and joiner. He married Sarah A. Harriman, a native of Danville, and they had three sons and one daughter. At the breaking out of the rebellion, in 1861, he, with his three sons, Harrison K., Charles F., and Oscar L., enlisted in Company D, First Vermont Cavalry. Mr. Bard, Charles and Oscar were discharged on account of sickness. Harrison K. served through the war and lost his leg from a wound received at the battle of Gettysburg. He is now a pensioner. 

      Loren Kinney was born in Waterford, in 1805. His life was spent there until his marriage, in 1827, to Emeline Holbrook, of Waterford. The same year he removed to this town and located on a farm of five hundred acres on road 11, where he resided until his death in February, 1884. His son, Henry C., succeeded his father on the farm. He married Alice Farnsworth, a native of Haverhill, N.H., in October, 1876, and died March 30, 1885, at the age of thirty-eight years, leaving two children, a son and a daughter. 

      Cloyes W. Gleason, M. D., was born in Barnet, Caledonia county, Vt., May 14, 1821. His father, William Gleason, was born in Framingham, Mass., July 24, 1774, and married Ruth Cloyes October 8, 1799 and moved to Barnet, Caledonia county, Vt., in 1803, and died there November 6, 1861. His father and mother were among the direct descendants of Thomas Gleason, who took the oath of fidelity at Watertown, Mass., in 1657, and died in Cambridge, Mass., in 1684, and of John Cloyes, who was a mariner by profession and settled at Watertown, October 31, 1639, and was killed by the Indians in 1676. Both of these early colonial settlers left numerous descendants, who lived in Cambridge, Watertown, Sudbury, Natick and Framingham, and other towns near Boston. Some of these descendents' names are found in colonial records of Massachusetts as taking important parts in public affairs, and others were officers and soldiers in the early French and Indian wars, and also in the war of the Revolution. Among the native citizens of Framingham and Watertown, who served during the war of the Revolution, are recorded the names of Capt. John Gleason and Capt. Micaja Gleason, and also Capt. Peter Cloyes and Capt. Elijah Cloyes. 

       "Island Side Farm," the present summer residence of Dr. Gleason, contains about 500 acres of land, part of which was inherited from his father, and the balance was added by purchase. It is composed of two beautiful islands in the Connecticut river, containing about sixty acres of very fertile land, a portion of which is subject to annual overflows, which greatly enrich the soil and perpetuate its fertility, so that it still produces fine crops of grass, though it has not been plowed or cultivated for nearly one hundred years. The balance of the farm is about equally divided into meadow and pasturage. The soil is clay-loam, and is now under a high state of cultivation and produces superior crops of grain and grass, and is in a rapid state of improvement. When this farm first came into the hands of Dr. Gleason, in 1875, the land of which it is now composed was in a low state of cultivation, and the buildings old and inferior. Two of the houses and barns were among the first erected in Caledonia county. Four new barns have been constructed with all of the best known conveniences and modern improvements for successful stock raising and feeding. One of these barns is 150 by 45 feet, built over a cellar shed, with stables for 100 fat steers. Another, 50 by 75 feet, also built over a cellar shed, with stables for 100 calves. One for horses and colts, 50 by 45 feet, and three other barns for storage of hay and fodder, on the islands, etc. These barns measure, collectively, about 500 feet in length, and 45 in width. Those designed for stock are all double-boarded with good hemlock or spruce lumber, planed, matched, and grooved, and are made as nearly frost-proof as possible, the proprietor fully believing that hemlock boards at $7.00 per thousand are cheaper to keep stock warm than fodder and grain at $15.00 to $25.00 per ton. All of the stables at Island farm are so constructed that the temperature in the coldest weather outside is never allowed to go below from 50 to 60 degrees inside, and consequently very little food is consumed to produce animal heat. The feeding of stock, care, and application of manures and other departments of farming, are carried on by Dr. Gleason on scientific and practical principles. 

      Dr. Gleason has returned to New England, after an absence of more than forty years engaged in the practice of his profession in a distant city, because he loves and cherishes the land of his nativity and wishes to demonstrate that an old New England farm may, by skillful treatment, be restored to fertility, equal to any land south or west, and all who feel interested in a new and improved system of agriculture and stock feeding are cordially invited to call at Island Side farm and see the results and judge for themselves the value of his experiments and methods. 

      William E. Peck was born here March 24, 1833. His father was a native of Lyndon, and his mother, Sophia, daughter of John Woods, was a native of this town. William, in August, 1853, engaged in a general mercantile business at Passumpsic village, which he continued until 1866, when he engaged in the same business at St. Johnsbury, in company with Emerson Hall, under the firm name of Hall & Peck. After three years he removed again to this town, and, under the name of Peck & Hall, engaged in buying and selling horses, having headquarters in Boston until 1884. He is now farming on road 14. Mr. Peck is president of the Merchants' National Bank at St. Johnsbury, and postmaster at Passumpsic. He represented Barnet in the legislature of 1878. He married Josephine Hazelton, a native of Corning, N.Y., January 6, 1858, who died February 4, 1877, leaving five children, — George W. and Arthur J. are at home with their father, Charles E. succeeded his father in the mercantile business at Passumpsic, which he now carries on;. Ida M. and Kate D. He married, second, Mary J. Talbot, of Boston, Mass., who has a family of one son and two daughters. 

      John Samuel was born in Paixley Parish, Renfrewshire, Scotland, in 1807. He married in Scotland, Jane Walker, who bore him three children, and died in 1841. In 1842 he removed to this country, settling in Barnet, and has resided in this town since that date. He married for his second wife Elizabeth A. Gill, a native of this town. His son James died in this town September 7, 1865. aged thirty years. Jannet married Clavius Somers, a farmer in Barnet. Jeannie married Cumins Somers, also a farmer in this town. 

      Thomas McKindley was born in Ryegate, July 26, 1809, and lived there with his parents until twenty-eight years of age. He came to Barnet in 1837 and lived on a farm in the southwest part nearly twenty-five years, when he located at his present home on road 75. He married Joanna Mills, daughter of David Mills, of Topsham. She died in March, 1881. They had three children, viz.: Horace D. married Maria Coler, of West Barnet, where he now resides; Lizzie J. married William J. Caldwell, and resides with his father; Lucy A. married Peter McLaughlin, a merchant at South Peacham. 

      Isaac M. Smith was born in Lyman, N.H., May 1, 1830, where he resided on a farm with his parents until twenty-three years of age. In 1853 he went to San Francisco, where he engaged in the business of furnishing families with water, remaining there until 1861, when he returned to New Hampshire, married Julia Warden, of Bath, and settled at McIndoes Falls in the spring of 1862, where he has since resided. He has a farm of seventy acres which he conducts, and has also done a large amount of other business. He was appointed deputy sheriff in 1865, and has held that position since that date, excepting in 1870 and 1872, when he was high sheriff of Caledonia county, He has been constable and collector of Barnet most of the time since 1865.  In 1868 and 1869 he represented Barnet in the state legislature. For three years he was selectman of this town, and has held various other minor offices. He has two children living, Charles I., born in 1865, and Mabel J., born in April, 1874. Christie A. was born November 18, 1862, and died November 19, 1879. Harley N., died in April, 1869, at the age of three years and nine months. 

      Willard Hoyt, now eighty-six years of age, is living with his son, Hubbard H., on road 8. He was born in Craftsbury in 1800. He resided many years in the town of Jay, in this State, going there when the country was new. In 1868 he removed to this town and located at the place of his present residence. He married, first, Sarah Berkley, of Lyman, N.H., by whom he had four children, three of whom lived to grow up, and second, Lydia Clough, of Lyman, N.H. She had one child, Hubbard H., with whom the father now resides. He married R. Elizabeth Foster, of Haverhill, N.H., and they have three sons and two daughters, one, a twin to the youngest daughter, having died at the age of four months. 

      Francis G. Strowbridge was born in Albany, Vt., July 9, 1840. When eighteen years of age he removed to Danville; afterwards he lived some years at Somerville and Charlestown, Mass. He married Mary L., daughter of Colonel James Gilkison, of this town. He removed to Massachusetts after his marriage, and lived there two years. Their first child, Mabel, was born there in 1867. He came to this town in 1868, and settled on road 53, where he now resides. He has one son, Frank E., born in 1875. 

      John C. Gleason, born in Farmingham, Mass., learned the trade of a tanner in early life, and commenced that business at Hardwick, in this state. He built a tannery on his farm in this town, on road 65, and carried on the business for many years. He married Margaret A. Duncan, a native of Barnet. They have a family of six children living, of whom William C. is a farmer on road 65; Mary married Isaac Bridgman, for many years a teacher in Syracuse, N.Y., now of Cleveland, Ohio; John is a. physician at Hannible, Mo., Martha J. is a missionary of the Women’s' Board of Foreign Missions at Constantinople; George D. is a mason in New York city, and Laura A. is at home with her widowed mother. Mr. Gleason died in 1866. 

      Winslow Gilman, who resides with his son, Nathan H., on road 2, is the oldest person living in Barnet. He was born at Sandwich, N.H., in November, 1793. At about the age of twenty-two he removed to Lyndon, and resided there until 1870, when he removed to this town and located where he now resides. He is in feeble health, but his mind is well preserved for one of his advanced age. 

      George P. Blair, born in Glasgow, Scotland, April 2, 1830, came to this country in 1849, locating in Peacham. He worked on a farm at Stannard until 1852, then went to Natick, Mass., and worked at manufacturing shoes one year. In 1853 he went to California and worked in the gold mines of Placer county until 1860. In June of that year he returned to Peacham and engaged in the mercantile trade with Isaac Watt until the breaking out of the war. In 1861 he enlisted in Co. D, 1st Vermont Cavalry, and was quartermaster sergeant of the regiment. He was out with the regiment three years. In 1866 he engaged in the general mercantile business at South Peacham and remained there until April, 1870, when he removed to West Barnet, where he is still engaged in the same business. He has been postmaster three years, and is one of the selectmen of Barnet; has been a justice of the peace for seventeen years; is now notary public, and represented Barnet in the state legislature in 1880 and 1881. In 1861 he married Agnes, daughter of Harvey Sanborn, and they have four children, of whom Maggie married E. J. M Hale, of Littleton, N.H. 

      Levi B. Goss, born in the adjoining town of Waterford, in 1834 resided on a farm with his father until of age. In 1855 he removed to Lamoille, Ill., where he remained one year, and from there he went to Jessup, Iowa, where he engaged in farming for eight years. In 1878 he removed to East Barnet, and has been engaged since that date as station agent at that place for the Passumpsic railroad, and also agent for the United States & Canada Express Company. He has also for that period been acting as postmaster. He married Fidelia Woods, of Hardwick, in this county, in 1857. They have four children—three sons and one daughter. 

      Christopher C. Chase was born in Bath, N.H., in October, 1814. In his younger days he was a riverman on the Connecticut, taking timber in rafts down to Hartford, Connecticut. This business he followed for many years. Thirty-seven years ago he moved to North Monroe and settled on a farm there, and married, in 1840, Susan Sanborn, of Bath. In 1875 he removed to this town, settling at McIndoes Falls. He now has a farm of 150 acres. They have had ten children, five of whom are living. Frank, the oldest son, enlisted August 13. 1862, in the 13th N. H. Vols., and served two years, and died of sickness, at Fort Schuyler, N.Y. August 13, 1864. George D. married Francesa Moore, of Ryegate, who died June 12, 1879. He now lives on a farm in Monroe, N.H. Julia married Orlin Kinney, of Monroe, N.H. Maria married John Little, also of Monroe. Charles F. married Eleanor Turner, from Monroe, N.H. Gilbert P. married Jennie Smith, of San Francisco, Cal., where they now reside. 

      Dr. Truman R. Stiles was born in Stowe, in 1847, where he received his early education. He graduated from the medical department of the Vermont University, at Burlington, in 1860. He practiced his profession at Sheffield eleven years, removing to this town in 1880. He is still practicing medicine and also carries on a drug store in the village of Barnet. He married, in 1870, Abbie A. Jenness, of Sheffield, a native of Natick, Mass. They have two sons. Mr. Stiles is United States pension examiner of the St. Johnsbury board. 

      Dr. Edward R. Clark was born in Peacham, December 3, 1857. He worked on his father's farm until of age, teaching school three winters, one each in Danville, Island Pond and Walden. He studied at Peacham academy three years, one half year of the time studying medicine in the office of Dr. Blanchard of Peacham. Afterwards he was a student at the medical department of Dartmouth college two years and a half, graduating November 11, 1884. The next five months he practiced at Felchville, with Dr. H. M. Guild, and came to Barnet April 27, 1885, succeeding to the practice of Dr. G. W. Bass, at McIndoes Falls. He married Susie B. Bliss, of Lyme, N.H., September 17, 1885.

      John Galbraith, a "Scottish Laird" from the parish of Balfron, Scotland, came to America before the Revolution and purchased a large tract of land of the Albany grantees, some four hundred acres of which was located within the present limits of Barnet, and several thousand acres in Burke township, How long prior to the breaking out of the war he came is unknown; but war was declared while he was here, and though he attempted to secure passage back to Scotland, his efforts proved futile and he contented himself with making improvements upon his land in Barnet until after Burgoyne's army passed down into New York state to the battle of Saratoga. Making his way thither, he started northward, was captured as a spy and taken to Quebec. Having a brother there by whom he was identified, he was released, and secured a passage home. Before leaving Barnet he had leased his land there to John Gilkerson, a fellow countryman, who continued to occupy it until it was claimed by the sons of Laird Galbraith, and he then settled upon the adjoining farm where C. B. Somers now lives. Laird Galbraith lived several years after his return to Scotland, but did not again visit America, and, except the land in Barnet, his purchase reverted to the state of Vermont upon its organization. His eldest son, John, when old enough to leave home, came and dwelt some years where C. C. Harvey now lives; but gave up the place to his younger brother, William, and removed to Princeton, Canada. George, the third, and James, the youngest son of Laird John, also came to Barnet, reared families and died here. George Galbraith was born in 1772, came over before 1800, and located on the place where his father built his first log house. Here he spent his life, and his grandson, James Renfrew Galbraith, now lives thereon. He married, March 23, 1804, Isabella, daughter of John Gilkerson, and was the father of twelve children, viz.: (1) John, who spent his life as a drover and farmer in Barnet; (2) Jannet, who married William Lang; (3) William, who graduated from Union college, 1831, Cannonsburg Theolog1cal Seminary, 1835, was ordained at Freeport, Pa.; where he remained as pastor thirty years, and for twenty-five years conducted the Freeport academy. He is now seventy-eight years of age, erect and agile as most men at fifty, and resides at Sutton, Mass., where he was installed as a pastor October 12, 1886. His first wife was Mary Bachop, of Barnet; who became the mother of seven children, three of whom are living; (4) Margaret, who died unmarried on the homestead; (5) James, died in infancy; (6) George, who spent his life on the home farm, married Jane Esdon, and had two sons, George T., who graduated from Dartmouth college, 1872, and Newberg Theological Seminary, and is now preaching at Liberty, Sullivan county, N. Y., and James R. who resides upon the paternal acres. George Galbraith served his town in official positions, died January, 1884, aged 78; (7) Thomas became a physician and resides in Trenton, Pa.; (8) Isabella married Alexander Esden; (9) Christianna married Andrew Dunnett, of Ryegate; (10) James, died young; (11) Walter, who is a ranchman in California; (12) Henry, died young. 

      John S. Hight was born in Peacham in 1834 and resided there until 1885, on the farm where his father, Reuben B., settled early in this century. He served in the civil war under two enlistments (in Co. F, 15th and Co. K, 3d Regts.) nineteen months, receiving thereby such injury to his health as to render him for the last few years unable to walk. Reuben B. Hight, his father, was born in Newington, N.H., and when two years old his father, John, brought him to Barnet, where the family settled. 

      John Q. Hoyt was born in Windsor, Vt., and came to Barnet in 1853. A tailor by trade, he engaged in business, employing as many as ten or twelve hands. George Greenbank then had woolen mills at the village. In 1855 he became postmaster, and from that to 1885 he held the office, about twenty-five years. Has been in the mercantile business about eight years.  He married Louisa Danforth, of Fort Covington, N.Y., has four daughters and one son—Louisa, Helen (Mrs. W. H. Burbank), Flora (Mrs. T. P. Robie), Hattie, graduate of N. E. conservatory of music, and now music teacher at St. Johnsbury and Barnet. 

      Adam and Horace Duncan, half brothers, were born in Ackworth, N.H.  Adam Duncan came to Barnet about 1810, and was engaged in trade at the village. He was the resident partner of the firm of Duncan & Chapman, the latter of Hartford Conn., who were extensively interested in the lumber business, buying and rafting immense quantities down the river. He took a strong interest and active part in the projects of his time to establish steam navigation upon the Connecticut, and in his honor the boat built by the company for that purpose at Wells River, in 1832, was named the "Adam Duncan." He died in 1825, and his widow (formerly Dorothy Lancaster) married William Gleason. Adam Duncan was the father of six sons and one daughter, of whom Moses L. and Margaret A. (widow of John C. Gleason), of McIndoes Falls, are the only ones living. 

      The Barnet Center United Presbyterian Society was organized by Rev. John Huston, with forty-six members, in 1786. Rev. David Woodwillie was the first pastor. The first church building, erected in 1788, was succeeded by a brick structure, and that in turn by the present wooden building, which, will comfortably seat 400 persons and is valued at $2,500.00. The society now has ninety-five members, with Rev. D. M. McKinlay, pastor. 

      The Passumpsic Calvanistic Baptist church was organized by a council of neighboring churches, July 1, 1812, with sixteen members, and Rev. Silas Davidson was the first pastor. The church building, erected m 1824, will seat 250 persons and is valued, including grounds, at $3,000.00. The society has eighty-six members, with Rev. S. A. Read, pastor. 

      The Congregational church, located at Barnet village, was organized by a. council of churches, with forty-seven members, September 14, 1858. Rev. Henry Fairbanks was the first acting pastor. The church building is a neat wooden structure, capable of seating 250 persons, and is valued, including grounds and other property, at $7,000.00. The society now has eighty-eight members, with Rev. Joseph Boardman, pastor. 

      The Reformed Presbyterian church, located at West Barnet village, was organized September 10, 1851, by a commission of the Northern Presbytery, with a membership of ten, under the pastoral charge of Rev. John Bole, the present pastor. The first house of worship was erected of wood in 1859. The original cost of the present structure was about $2,300.00. It will comfortably seat 300 persons, and is valued, including grounds, etc., at $3,000.00. The Sunday school has an average attendance of 100 scholars. 

      The Reformed Presbyterian Church, located in the southern part of the town, was organized in 1873, with seventy-three members. Rev. D.C. Faris was installed as pastor, and still holds the position. The society now has sixty-two members.

Gazetteer of Caledonia and Essex Counties, VT.; 1764-1887, 
Compiled and Published by Hamilton Child; May 1887, 
Page 133-151

This chapter was provided by:

1738 ~ 2001 ~ Barnet Birth Records 
1795 ~ 2001 ~ Barnet Marriage Records 
1811 ~ 2001 ~ Barnet Death Records
1812 ~ 2001 ~ Barnet Burial Records
1829 ~ 1958 ~ Congregational Church, Barnet, VT