XX indexVermont  




"The waters of Otter Creek, Middlebury River and Little Otter Creek give the town a good water power. There are some manufactures in the town, but agriculture is the principal pursuit of the inhabitants. Quarries of excellent marble are found in almost every part of this town . . . The settlement of New Haven was commenced in 1769, by a few emigrants from Salisbury, Ct., on that part which is now set off to Waltham. The settlement was, however, broken up and abandoned in 1776 in consequences of the revolutionary war.  Near this settlement, and on that part of the township now constituting a part of the city of Vergennes, a fort was erected and garrisoned by troops commanded by Capt. Ebenezer Allen, and others, to protect the frontier settlements from the common enemy, the "Yorkers." At the close of the war, the settlers returned, and in 1785 the town was organized." 

Gazetteer of Vermont, Hayward, 1849.


Prepared for this work, substantially, 
by the late 
Edward S. Dana, of New Haven

      New Haven is situated in the central part of Addison county, in latitude 44 degrees 6' and longitude 30 degrees 53', between the Green Mountains on the east and Grand View and Buck Mountains on the west. Some parts of it are moderately rolling, and there are pleasant valleys and fine streams. The greater part of the rocks underlying the soil are limestone and red sand rock, the former cropping out in ledges and furnishing materials for lime and building purposes. There are also quarries of fine marble. The soil consists of clay and loam, with alluvial deposits; along the several streams in many places are bowlders and pebbles, deposited here during the drift period. The town was originally covered with a heavy growth of timber, consisting principally of maple, beech, birch, elm, basswood, walnut, pine, oak, hemlock, etc. In the central and northeastern parts were low, swampy tracts, covered with a heavy growth of cedar. Springs of pure, cold water are abundant, and the town is well supplied with streams. New Haven River enters the town near the southeast corner, washing the whole southern portion, and flows into Otter Creek near the southwest corner. Otter Creek, which flows to the north, forms a part of the southwestern boundary of the town. Little Otter Creek rises in the central part of the town, flows northwesterly into Ferrisburgh, and thence into Lake Champlain. The Central Vermont Railroad extends through the entire western portion of the town, having two mail stations, at Brooksville and New Haven Depot. The town is bounded on the north by Ferrisburgh, Monkton, and Bristol; east by Bristol; south by Middlebury and Weybridge, and west by Weybridge and Waltham. 

      On November 2, 1761, Governor Benning Wentworth granted to John EVARTS and sixty-one associates, in sixty-eight shares, and according to the charter to contain 25,040 acres, an area of a little more than six miles square. This John EVARTS, of Salisbury, Conn., was that year deputed to repair to Portsmouth, N. H., and obtain charters of two townships. He first designed to locate them on the sites of Clarendon and Rutland; but learning that charters already covered that region, and the territory north of Leicester had not been granted, and having some knowledge of the lower falls on Otter Creek (now Vergennes), he began at these falls, laying off his townships south of that place, and bounded on the west by the creek. Finding a sufficient extent of territory between Leicester and the falls named for three townships, he obtained that number of charters, having redistributed the names of the applicants in such a manner as to secure the grants of three instead of two. This town he named New Haven, after the capital of his own State. To designate the starting point more permanently than "a tree marked," a cannon was inserted in a hole in a rock, with the muzzle upward. This cannon has ever since been the guiding landmark not only of New Haven and Salisbury, but of Middlebury, inasmuch as Middlebury took its boundaries from the south line of New Haven, and Salisbury from the south line of Middlebury. In process of years this cannon became hidden from view by the accumulation of soil, and which, from repeated additions, now covers it to the depth of several feet; but a bar of iron seasonably inserted in the muzzle can now be seen protruding above the superincumbent material.

      In the charter Governor Wentworth reserved to himself five hundred acres in the northwest corner of the town, considered equivalent to two shares; assigned for the gospel and schools four other shares, and one to each of the other grantees.

      Although chartered in 1761, the town remained an unbroken wilderness until 1769. A few families that year removed from Salisbury, Conn., and settled near the creek in what is now Waltham and Vergennes. Among them were John GRISWOLD and family of five sons, and twelve other settlers, among whom were Phineas BROWN and Joshua HYDE. Here were made considerable improvements; a saw-mill was erected by GRISWOLD and others at the falls in Vergennes, then called New Haven Falls; but they were surprised from their quiet labor by the advent of Colonel REID, of New York, with a body of armed dependents, who claimed the land on both sides of Otter Creek for a distance of two miles on each shore, from its mouth to Sutherland Falls, by right of a patent from the governor of his State. The settlers were forcibly ejected and tenants of his own put into possession, who built more houses and a grist-mill. These were in turn dispossessed by Ethan ALLEN and his brave men, their houses and grist-mill destroyed, and the rightful owners put in possession of their property. In July, 1773, Colonel REID again came on with a number of Scotch emigrants and again expelled the first settlers, and repaired the mill. When this became known at Bennington, ALLEN and his followers proceeded immediately to New Haven Falls and forcibly reinstated their friends. They broke the mill-stones and threw them over the falls. They also erected a fort a short distance above the falls and garrisoned it with a small party under command of Ebenezer ALLEN, and after this received no further molestation from the "Yorkers." But the settlers had scarcely begun to feel safe from raids from this quarter, before the settlement was again broken up and the records destroyed by the noted Jacob SHERWOOD, a Tory and "Yorker" of Revolutionary memory.

      Few of the original grantees of the town ever became actual settlers. A few were represented among the latter by their children, but most of them sold their shares to the actual settlers at a nominal value. But little is known of the proceedings of the proprietors previous to the settlement of the town, owing to the loss of records; but it is evident from the records of other towns that they did business up to 1774. The earliest record at our command is dated Salisbury, March 23, 1774, which reads as follows: "Then the proprietors of the township of New Haven (a township lately granted under the great seal of the Province of New Hampshire, now in the Province of New York) met according to a legal warning in the Connecticut Current, at the dwelling house of Capt. Samuel MORE, Innholder in Salisbury in Litchfield County and Colony of Connecticut in New England. Firstly Voted." (No proceedings registered.)

      The next record is as follows: "New Haven, October 10, 1774. Then the proprietors of this town met according to the adjournment of a legal meeting of said proprietors of the 23 of March last. First voted Andrew Barton moderator for said meeting, in the room of the old moderator he being absent. 2ond, voted Justus SHEERWOOD Proprietors Clerk. 3rd, voted to adjourn said meeting to STEWARDS in said town for the space of half an hour. 4th, voted that a certain parcel of land be given to the further and more speedy settling of the town. Whereas the settlement of the township of New Haven has been much hindered, by repeated encroachments from noxious claimants, and by reason of the small number of settlers, those which were actual residents have been great sufferers, and several times by force expelled from the premises. For the future to prevent the like illegal intrusion, and for the more speedy settlement of this town, the proprietors do therefore 5th, vote to give 60 acres of land out of each right or share of land throughout this Town, which land shall be given to as many of the undernamed, as shall settle the same by the first day of June 1775. 150 acres to each man that erects a house, and actually resides and improves on his lot for the space of five years, or brings a man in his room to do said duty, and on his so settling by the first of June, he shall have a conditional deed, to secure him in doing the above duty. And that, on any man's failure of so doing the duty, his land shall revert back to those that gave it. Likewise voted, Seth WARNER, Ethan ALLEN, Noah LEE, Committee to procure deeds for the adventurers. 6th, Voted that Robert COCKRAN, Ethan ALLEN, Seth WARNER, Peleg SUNDERLAND, Samuel HERRICK, Elnathan HUBBELL, Jesse SAWYER, shall have two years time to settle their part of the land given by the proprietors."

      The adventurers' names are as follows: Ethan ALLEN, Seth WARNER, Robert COCHRAN, Samuel HERRICK, Peleg SUNDERLAND, Jesse SAWYER, Elnathan HUBBELL, Eben WALLIS, Noah LEE, Phineas BROWN, John STEWARD, Andrew BARTON, Justus SHERWOOD, John GRIZEL, Eli ROBERT, Eleazer BAXTER, Justus WEBSTER, Asahel BLANCHARD, ---- STURTEVANT, William LOMAS, William SMITH, Mathew MACURE, Isaac BUCK, John ROWLY, John TUFF, John STEARNS, Amos WELLER, Jonathan WILLIAMS, William STEWARD, Peletiah SOPER, David TORRY, Joseph BAKER, John MORRILL, George SAXTON, Josiah SANBORN. 

      The first three divisions of land were lost; the fourth was made in June, 1775, each proprietor to receive 100 acres to be laid parallel with the town line, not to exceed 200 rods in length per lot, said division to begin after the above sequestered lands are laid to the above adventurers. "Voted, that Eli ROBERTS, Andrew BARTON and Justus SHERWOOD be committee to make the fourth division. William STEWARD, Luther EVARTS, Justus SHERWOOD, committee to layout highways." "Voted, Luther EVERTS to make a plan of the town." It was voted that on each adventurer's lot of one hundred acres, five were given for highways. Justus WEBSTER drew No. 12, on which he settled. At a proprietors' meeting of March 6, 1776, held at John GRISWOLD's house, proprietors were taxed two dollars or four days' work for "rectifying highways," or for making a plan of the town; forty acre division made afterward at this meeting as mentioned. The last proprietors' meeting of which record exists was on January 11, 1793.

      Prior to the Revolution and during that war, settlements were made in various parts of the town. Justus SHERWOOD came in 1774, and settled in June on lot 31, the farm since owned by the late judge Elias BOTTUM, and erected his dwelling exactly where judge BOTTUM's family graveyard now is. He was proprietors' clerk from the first meeting held in town, October 10, 1774, until probably the latter part of 1776, when he left on account of the war. On a visit to Bennington, being no longer able to disguise his true sentiments, he gave utterance to remarks that denoted sympathy with the royal cause, at which the Whigs of that place, taking offense, tried him before "Judge LYNCH," and sentenced him to a punishment of twenty lashes, familiarly known as the "beech seal," which, if not seriously wounding to the body, was humiliating to the feelings of the culprit and but amusing to the spectators. While in New Haven SHERWOOD was in fact a secret agent of a company of New York land-jobbers, in their pay, and himself engaged at the same time in speculating in the patents issued by the governor of New Hampshire; and that he might be effectually secured from the hostility of the settlers and maintain with them a free and unsuspected intercourse, he located in a part of the settlement where he could most effectually subserve their interests. Exasperated at his exposure, he raised a company of Royalists, conducted them to Canada, and entered the British service. After the war he received a pension of a crown a day during life and the grant of 1,200 acres of land in Upper Canada, opposite Ogdensburgh. Before leaving New Haven, having in his hands, as proprietors' clerk, their records, he buried nearly all of them in an iron pot, having a potash-kettle turned over it, near his house, marking the place; but they were never afterward found.

      This town has undergone several changes. October 29, 1789, a tract of land on the north called New Haven Gore was annexed to it, and October 29, 1791, a part of the town was annexed to Weybridge. October 23, 1783, a corner was taken to aid in the incorporation of the city of Vergennes, a portion of which, together with a part of Addison and this town, were in November, 1796, taken to form the town of Waltham.

      Amongst the first permanent settlers, except those already mentioned, were COOK and Andrew BARTON in the Waltham part, Justus STURDEVANT and David STOWE in the Weybridge part, and Captain Miles BRADLEY, Enos PECK, Elijah FOOT, Elisha FULLER, Bazadeel RUDD, William ENO and others, in the New Haven part.

      March 20, 1787, the town was organized, with Ebenezer FIELD, moderator, and Elijah FOOT, town clerk and treasurer; Ebenezer FIELD, Eli ROBERTS, and Enos PECK, selectmen; Bazadeel RUDD, William ENO, Asa WHEELER, listers; Ed. WRIGHT, William WOODBRIDGE, grand jurors; Nathan GRISWOLD, leather inspector; Wait HOYT, Truman WHEELER, Andrew BARTON, John HAYWARD, David GRISWOLD, Robert WOOD, Reuben GRENELL, Enos PECK, fence viewers.

      There were eight school districts in 1799. In 1803 there were ten, with 399 scholars in attendance. In 1828 there were 629 scholars in attendance, and upward of 500 for a period of thirty years, since which the number has yearly lessened. In 1886 there are twelve whole districts and two fractions, with 260 school children in attendance.

      The first birth on record is that of Hannah, daughter of Amos P. SHERMAN, July 20, 1786, in what was at that time New Haven (now Waltham). Martin ENO was born in 1786 or '87. There is little doubt but that others were born in the vicinity of the fort near Vergennes Falls before either of those mentioned. The first school-house was built in district No. 1, upon the site occupied by the present building. This house, it is related, was quite small, so much so as to be considered by the female portion of the community wholly unfit for the purpose for which it was intended. Accordingly, while the men were all away upon a wolf hunt one day, the women repaired to the building with axes, and soon razed it to the ground. A more pretentious affair soon after took its place.

      The first representative of the town was Phinehas BROWN --- 1786.

      The first justice was Elijah FOOT--1787. Others following were Jonathan HOYT, thirty-five years; Elias BOTTUM, thirty-two years; Daniel TWITCHELL, thirty years, Othniel JEWETT, twenty-eight years; William NASH, twenty years; Jabez LANGDON, eighteen years; Samuel CHALKER, eighteen years; Calvin SQUIER, sixteen years; Alfred ROSCOE, twelve years; James SAXTON, fifteen years; Horace PLUMLEY, twelve years; Horace P. BIRGE, twelve years.

      At a town meeting, April 28, 1795, a committee was appointed to unite with the proprietors' committee to "complete the business by making out a plan of the whole and petition the General Assembly to tax all the land in said town to defray the expenses thereof; also to petition to pitch the undivided lands, and to establish the first, second, and third divisions as they were originally laid, and also the fourth and fifth and other pitches as they are surveyed." The committee was Reuben FIELD, Andrew MILLS, Seth LANGDON, Giles DOUD, Andrew SQUIER, and William ENO. Lots drawn under these divisions cannot be given.  1798, Voted "to divide the town if a dividing line can be agreed upon." 1802, agitation over "center of town," and site of meeting-house. In 1794 the Legislature passed an act appropriating to the use of common schools in the Hampshire Grants the shares of the "Society for the Propagation of the Gospel." But that society, instead of abandoning their claim, transferred it to the Episcopal Church. That church contested the constitutionality of the above mentioned law in the United States Court. After protracted litigation the matter was decided in favor of the church. The suit, which was to test the validity of the church's title throughout the State, was brought against the town of New Haven. The share in New Haven for the first settled minister, after an attempt made by the Universalists to obtain it, was, by a vote of the town, appropriated to the use of common schools.

      Solomon BROWN, an old Revolutionary hero, came to New Haven in 1787, locating upon the farm now owned by his son Ira, and built the first house of logs on that farm. Mr. BROWN was not only one of the heroes of the memorable 19th of April, 1775, but he was also the first to shed British blood in that engagement. He was also the first to bring the intelligence into Lexington that a number of British officers were on their way thither from Boston; and when the officers reached Lexington he was one of those who volunteered to follow them and watch their movements, and was taken prisoner by them, together with his companions, Thaddeus HARRINGTON and Elijah SANDERSON, though they were detained but a few hours. Solomon was in the army five years, and held the office of sergeant. He was also appointed "conductor of supplies" at Fort Schuyler, now Utica, N. Y. After leaving the army he remained in Nine Partners, N. Y., two years, then came to this town in 1787, as previously mentioned. Mr. BROWN was twice married and had a family of seventeen children. Honored and respected, he died at a ripe old age, one of the true, tried spirits that made our country what it is.

      The GRINNELL family was among the early settlers coming from Salisbury, Conn., and settling on land opposite the SPRAGUES, and north of the Andrew SQUIER land, on Lanesboro street. There were among the children of this GRINNELL family two sons, who lived and died in the two houses (for many years, and now, the home of Elisha H. and his son Mills LANDON). Myron GRINNELL was a highly esteemed citizen. His son, Josiah B., was born December 22, 1821; he left home at the age of eighteen years, made his way to Oneida Institute, graduated there, and then prepared for entering into the ministry; was first pastor over a church in Union Village, Greenwich, N. Y. His very decided anti-slavery views led him to leave all else and seek for funds among the willing-hearted philanthropists of Massachusetts for the purpose of founding in Washington, D. C., a Congregational Church. In this he succeeded. He then took a pastorate in New York city, marrying meantime a Miss CHAPIN, of Springfield, Mass., whose father had been a benefactor to the Washington church enterprise, and dying soon after left landed property in the slave State of Missouri. It became Mr. GRINNELL's duty to go there and see about it, and this led to his making a change to the new State of Iowa In 1855. Falling in, while an this journey, with the men who were then locating the Central Pacific Railroad, they made known to him where would be important points, and from the light so given he decided to form a settlement, by returning East and choosing from among former friends; and it soon came to pass that the town of Grinnell was not only a settlement, but the seat of an institution bearing the name of Iowa College, which not only lived, but is doing faithful work to this day. Walter GRINNELL, a brother of Myron, having died, his son Levi and his family were among those who sold their homes in New Haven and removed to the then infant town of Grinnell. After going to Iowa Mr. Josiah B. GRINNELL was interested in farming also, and became one of the most extensive woolgrowers of that State. He was a member of the State Senate for four years, a special agent of the general post-office for two years, and was elected a representative from Iowa to Congress; was re-elected to the Thirty-ninth Congress. In June, 1866, L. H. ROUSSEAU, a fellow member, made a personal assault upon him for words spoken in debate, which resulted in a resolution, which was passed, reprimanding the assailant for "violating the rights and privileges of the House of Representatives."

      Captain Matthew PHELPS came to this town from Connecticut and kept the village hotel. He was quite celebrated as an adventurer, and his memoir was published by Anthony HASWELL, of Bennington, in 1802, and had a large circulation. Major Matthew PHELPS, jr., son of Captain Matthew, was a man of great promise. He was one of the earliest graduates from Middlebury College. In 1811 he was elected to the Legislature, and in 1810-11 was one of the County Court judges. He died while in the War of 1812. Atlantic Luman PHELPS, son of Matthew PHELPS, jr., was born in New Haven July 17, 1805. Loyal C. PHELPS, born January 16, 1807, a son of Major Matthew, was a native of New Haven. He married Jannette COOK January 1, 1839, and was one of the families who were especially invited to share in the making of the town of Grinnell, and they are still living there.

      Augustus TRIPP came from Lanesboro, Mass., in 1781, and settled on the farm recently owned by Henry C. ROSCOE. He has no direct descendants in town at the present time. He was succeeded on the farm by his son, Deacon Ansel TRIPP, for many years deacon of the Congregational Church, and who died over twenty-six years ago aged seventy-seven years. He left two sons, A. F. TRIPP, of Buffalo, N. Y., and Sheriff Isaac M., who was many years Constable in this town, where he married the youngest daughter of the Rev. Ova HOYT. Then moving to Middlebury, he was from 1867 to 1878 sheriff of Addison county. He has now removed to Milwaukee, Wis., and is engaged in manufacturing.

      Eseck SPRAGUE, from Lanesboro, Mass., located upon the farm until recently owned by George D. HINMAN. In 1787 Mr. SPRAGUE came in the winter, his wife coming the following March, making her way on horseback with an infant only six weeks old, who afterward became the mother of E. D. HALL. Here Mr. SPRAGUE spent his life in clearing the farm, dying of cancer in 1824. His son Horace, born October 29, 1793, occupied the farm until his death, December 30, 1871. Mrs. SPRAGUE was a sister of Lemuel ELDREDGE; she died in 1885, being nearly ninety-five years old.

      Austin HICKOCK was born in Granville, Mass., January 3, 1773, and in 1800 located on the farm now owned by Andrew J. MASON. His first wife was Mary HINMAN, of Lanesboro, Mass., by whom he had four children. His second wife was Roxana COOK, of New Haven, by whom he had four children. Of these children Elias B. remained on the old homestead for some time, but is now living on the place formerly owned by his wife's father, Calvin SPRAGUE. Another son, Milo Judson, was graduated at Middlebury College in 1835 and at Union Theological Seminary, N. Y., in 1841; was pastor at Marietta, O., 1841-44, and at Rochester, N. Y., 1845-50. His last pastorate was at Scranton, Pa. His brother, Henry F., graduated at Rochester University, N. Y., and Princeton Seminary, N. J. His first pastorate was at Sandy Hill, N. Y., where he remained two years; he then located at Orange, N. J., where he has remained up to the present time, with the exception of two years spent at Auburn, N. Y. Julius S. HICKOCK, son of Charles B., lives in Vergennes.

      John HINMAN settled in 1783 on the farm owned by James WILSON; married Sarah RUBLEE February 3, 1799. He came originally from Pittsfield, Mass., and later from Benson, Vt. He was the father of Erastus S. HINMAN and Orrin, father of G. D. HINMAN and two other brothers. About thirty years ago E. S. HINMAN bought of Mr. JACOBS the farm where he subsequently lived and died. He was prominent in social, religious, and educational matters at all times; he was for many years a magistrate and town official, and in 1854-55 was one of the judges of the County Court. He died July 21, 1885. His first wife, Caroline REYNOLDS, died March 22, 1854, leaving one daughter, Harriet, who recently married Deacon John C. WILDER, who now owns and occupies the farm. Judge HINMAN's second wife, Miss Amanda SAMSON, of Cornwall, died December 6, 1885, leaving a daughter, Alice. Orrin HINMAN, son of John, married Theda MOORE December 18, 1831. Their son, George D., married Helen SPRAGUE, and lived for many years at the old family homestead of Horace SPRAGUE. They now reside at the Barton Cottage, at the Center. William D., son of Orrin, lives on the Bristol road, and is a dealer in fine horses.

      The road running north from the village and locally known as Lanesboro street, was settled first from 1781 to 1792, by families chiefly from Lanesboro, Mass., which gave the street its name. Among them were Ezra HOYT, sr., Seth HOYT, William SEYMOUR, Matthew PHELPS, George SMITH, Andrew SQUIER, and Seymour HOYT. The names of these men appear frequently in the earlier records of the town as office-holders.

      Hon. Ezra HOYT, the son of Ezra and Sarah (SEYMOUR) HOYT, was born October 16, 1770, in Lanesboro, Mass. In the latter part of the last century there was a general movement in that part of Massachusetts to emigrate to the new and rich lands of Vermont, which had just been admitted to the Union. Among the HOYTs there was no one of more ability or influence than the subject of this notice. He had married Sarah SMITH, of Lanesboro, February 28, 1790. They removed to New Haven two years afterward. The town had been organized only five years and the number of inhabitants was small. Mr. HOYT was able to secure large quantities of land and thus laid the foundation of an ample fortune, owning at one time about sixteen hundred acres. His home was on the spot now occupied by the parsonage of the Congregational Church, which was erected by him in the early part of this century. He is spoken of by old residents as a man of fine presence, with the manners of a gentleman of the old school. His home was an attractive and hospitable one, and his circle of friends was large. He was sent to the Legislature of Vermont as a representative from New Haven nine times. He was also a member of the Governor's Council in 1828, '29, and '30. He was elected judge of the Addison County Court in 1813, and re-elected to that office for five successive years, and was again elected in 1823. In 1824 the Probate District of New Haven was established by dividing the district of Addison, and judge HOYT was the first judge elected, retiring from that office in 1829. Judge HOYT was especially fortunate in his domestic life. His first wife, who died in New Haven April 11, 1798, was the mother of three children -- Laura, who became the wife of Colonel Eseck SPRAGUE, late of Constable, N. Y.; Otto SMITH, who was a graduate of Middlebury College and Princeton Seminary; was an honored and useful minister of Christ for more than forty years; and Sarah Jane, who died in infancy. He married as his second wife, Jerusha, daughter of Captain Matthew PHELPS, by whom he had six children. Ova PHELPS, the eldest, was graduated at Middlebury College and Andover Seminary; was settled in Cambridge, N. Y., and Kalamazoo, Mich. The next was Sarah, who became the wife of Hon. Stephen BYINGTON, of Hinesburg; the next daughter, Charlotte, married Elisha H. LANDON, of New Haven, and he is the only survivor of the large family circle. The next was Rhoda, wife of the late Rev. R. C. HAND, of Brooklyn, N. Y.; the next was Ezra M., who was prepared for college, but was obliged to leave his studies by the failure of his health, and died in middle life at his home in New Haven. He married Charlotte, daughter of Judge Elias BOTTUM. The youngest son, George, died while a student in Middlebury College. The influence of the home life is indicated by the fact that Judge HOYT gave to all of his children the best education which the times enabled him to do. His house was a favorite resort for men of education and intelligence. He had a large circle of political friends, and his influence extended over the State. He was a friend of and habitual attendant at church, and contributed generously to its support. He was the firm friend of Rev. Josiah HOPKINS, D.D., who was his pastor for twenty-one years. Middlebury College owes much to his influence and active support. He died in New Haven after a long illness, August 5, 1881, in his sixty-first year.

      Jonathan HOYT, Jr., born at Norwalk, Conn., May 7, 1775, removed to New Haven in March, 1802, and first lived in a small house that stood at that time a little north of the present Alvin SQUIER place. He then removed to a place on Beech Hill, just south of the Solomon BROWN farm, where to-day are standing locust trees, before what is called the old ENO place. His home was there the first few years, the eldest of his children going to school there. The father of the ENOs had begun a home on the Lanesboro street corner, a two-story farm house, unfinished at the time of his death; this house and the land around it Jno. HOYT bought, and the ENO family removed to Beech Hill. Jonathan HOYT, Jr., was first a deputy sheriff, and then high sheriff of the county in 181l-15-18. He was for a long time magistrate, for seventeen years town clerk, and in the Legislature in 1809 and 1810. He was surveyor of highways throughout the county, laying out roads, drawing deeds, making out all sorts of public papers, and settling many estates; at the same time he kept well going the farming interest. He was somewhat peculiar in his character, but was an energetic and influential citizen. He died at his home April 5, 1867. He married Chloe LANDON; she was the mother of three children -- Lucius, Delia (who is the wife of Judge Tolman WHEELER, of Chicago), and Eliza, who married Lewis MEACHAM. His father, Jonathan HOYT, a soldier of the Revolution, removed to town several years later than his son. Lucius settled at Niles, Mich., where he died at the age of forty years. His son, Jonathan Mills, was born at Niles, Mich., July 24, 1836. He served as lieutenant during the last war, and was a popular and efficient officer. He was on Governor PECK's staff in 1874-75, and was town clerk in New Haven at the time of his death. He was married October 8, 1862, to Julia C., daughter of Royal and Minerva (MOORE) WHEELER. He died at the old home of his grandfather January 29, 1877. His widow died at the home of her father and aunt, Mrs. Elam R. JEWETT, of Buffalo, N. Y., March, 1885, and was buried by the side of her husband.

      Lewis MEACHAM, brother of Congressman James MEACHAM, was born in Rutland, and removed to New Haven in 1845. He married Eliza, daughter of Jonathan HOYT, Jr., in 1842. Mr. MEACHAM became a leading citizen; was elected to the Legislature in 1856-57, and senator from the county in 1864 and '65. He was a genial and popular gentleman. He died suddenly, while on a visit to Chicago, June 16, 1868. Not long before his death he made an extended tour through Europe. His widow still resides in the home of her father.

      Tolman WHEELER, son of Preserved WHEELER and grandson of Peter, who was killed at the time of the Indian massacre at Wyoming, Pa., studied the medical profession, receiving his diploma at Burlington, and commenced practice in Canada. He was married in September, 1830, to Delia, daughter of Jonathan and Chloe (LANDON) HOYT. He removed to Niles, Mich., in 1832; remained there engaged in mercantile business and real estate in that vicinity until 1859, when be removed to Chicago, where, as judge WHEELER, he is well known. His father, Preserved WHEELER, came to this town in 1781 and located upon the farm now owned by Alexis T. SMITH. His son Orson, born here in 1799, was a resident until the time of his death in 1867. His son Henry, a grandson of Preserved, is still a resident on East street.

      Deacon David SMITH was born at Lanesboro, Mass., in 1788; came to New Haven in 1797 and located on the farm now owned by Charles W. MASON, known more recently as the Jonathan SMITH place. He married three wives and reared eight children. Of these Jonathan became a farmer and carried on his father's farm until his death; Otis graduated at Middlebury College in 1824; fitted for the ministry with Rev. Josiah HOPKINS, D.D. He was pastor many years, at LaGrange, Ga., of a Baptist church, and was president of Mercer University. Oliver located on the farm once owned by Thaddeus HOYT, in New Haven Gore; married Adaline DOUD, March 24, 1830, and reared six children; of these Otis D. graduated from the University of Vermont; has taught many years in Georgia, and is now professor of mathematics in Auburn Agricultural and Mathematical College, Auburn, Ala. Oliver SMITH has been many years a magistrate; was a member of the Legislature in 1843 and 1844, and one of the county judges in 1862-63. He removed from his farm to the village about seven years ago.

      Amos PALMER, from Dutchess county, N. Y., in 1781 located upon the farm owned by Alexis T. SMITH. His son Caleb came here in 1787; died in 1884 at the age of ninety-seven, and was the oldest man in town. He was then living with his son, Joseph Palmer, near James WILSON's. Henry C. PALMER, son of Caleb, has for many years conducted a wheelwright shop at the village. He owns and occupies the old Lavius FILLMORE property at the Center.

      Hezekiah SMITH came to Monkton in 1780 from Bennington, Vt. The eldest of his twelve children was Dr. Horatio A. SMITH, who came to New Haven village about 1830, and resided there until his death, which occurred suddenly March 4, 1862. His daughter Sarah married Hon. R. B. LANGDON; his son, Henry B. SMITH, married Jane V. LANGDON; both are living in Minneapolis, Minn. Their mother's name was Sarah BELL. Dr. SMITH's home was where James HINMAN now resides.

      Andrew SQUIER and his wife Huldah (BRONSON) SQUIER, of Woodbury, Conn., came to Lanesboro, Mass,, in 1779. They had five sons, Timothy, Andrew, Wait, Ebenezer, and Amos. Of these Timothy, Andrew, and Wait removed to Vermont. In 1852 they were all living, and it is said were all in attendance about this time at church in New Haven. They all sat in one pew, were all over six feet in height, and all over eighty years of age, Timothy being ninety-three. Timothy located in Orwell and died there in 1855 at the age of ninety-six. Andrew came to New Haven about 1790, and located just south of where E. H. LANDON now lives. As early as 1793 we find him taking an active interest in the town affairs and serving as one of the selectmen. A few years later he co-operated most earnestly with judge HOYT in securing the erection of the Congregational meeting-house. He sold his large farm January 3, 1831, to his son, Alvin SQUIER, and built the house now owned by Socrates PALMER on the Bristol road, and lived there until his death in 1855. Alvin, born February 7, 1799, and Diadama, widow of judge BOTTUM, born in 1791, are the only ones left of Andrew SQUIER's family in town. Alvin studied medicine with Dr. LORD, of Cornwall, and at twenty-two years of age went to Madrid, N. Y., where he was a practicing physician seven years. He then returned to New Haven and devoted himself to agricultural pursuits, soon after building and occupying the house where A. C. SQUIER now lives. He married, while at Madrid, Sarah HALLOCK, who died in 1885. In 1860 he built the elegant house where he has since resided, his son, E. HALLOCK, remaining on the farm. He has held various town offices. His wife was Elizabeth S. SKINNER, of Palmyra, N. Y., to whom he was married May 11, 1856. In 1883 he built a new and handsome cottage just south of his prior residence, and has since lived there. His son, Charles F., is in the mercantile business, as elsewhere noted. Andrew G. SQUIER, son of Alvin, located a mile east of the village on the William WHEELER farm. He has been an active farmer and has devoted his attention specially to the raising of fine horses, and has been a successful breeder. His son, Dr. Willie SQUIER, is a popular physician at Green Bay, Wis. Dr. Lucius A. SQUIER, son of Alvin, was graduated at Middlebury College, and located in Wisconsin. His brother, Argalus L., enlisted in 1861, and died in the camp of the Vermont Brigade near Washington, in December of that year, of malarial fever. Charlotte B., daughter of Alvin, has for many years resided with her father.

      Elias BOTTUM, son of Simon and Elizabeth (HAUTINGTON) BOTTUM, was born at Shaftsbury, Vt., February 3, 1790, and came to New Haven in 1809, locating on the farm thereafter occupied by him. Judge BOTTUM married Diadama SQUIER December 5, 1811, who is still living, at the age of ninety-six years. Children of this union were Mary Ann, who was married to Julius SPRAGUE January 3, 1838; Charlotte, and Caroline, whose husbands' names are elsewhere given. The only son was Elias SIMON. He was a member of the Legislature in 1822 and 1829; senator from Addison county in 1840, '41, and assistant judge of the County Court in 1847, '48. It has been stated that he and his associate, George CHIPMAN, once overruled the supreme judge who sat with them, on a question of law in the trial of a case; the appeal was taken to the Supreme Court, which affirmed the decision made by Judge BOTTUM and his colleague. Judge BOTTUM's death occurred in 1865. Elias Simon BOTTUM, was born in 1821, and located on a portion of his father's farm; was deacon in the Congregational Church, often a town officer, and a member of the Legislature in 1872. His wife, Mary HOYT, was the daughter of Rev. Otto S. HOYT. He died of heart disease in 1877, leaving six children. Of these Elias H. graduated at Middlebury College in 1871 and afterward at Columbia Law School, Washington, D. C. He is now a successful practitioner at Milwaukee, Wis. Fordyce H. is an undergraduate at Harvard College, while Julius O. is managing a portion of the farm so long occupied by the family. Carrie was married to Professor HALL, of Harvard College. The youngest daughter, Lottie, is at the New England Conservatory of Music.

      Martin CRANE emigrated to this town from Salisbury, Conn., in 1781. He was succeeded upon the same place by his son, Belden CRANE, who was killed a few years since by being thrown from a load of beans. He was followed by H. S. SMITH, who married a niece of CRANE; and the farm was then sold to Theron M. STURTEVANT, who still resides there.

      Alfred P. ROSCOE, for many years a prosperous merchant at New Haven village, was also a leading citizen in many other respects. He held the office of town clerk for many years, and in 1841-42 and 1848 represented the town in the Legislature. He died November 27, 1873. Alfred Mortimer, son of Alfred P., was for several years town clerk and postmaster, and beside holding other offices was a member of the Legislature in 1876. He died February 8, 1885. Alfred M. married Mrs. Orra (BINGHAM) Roscoe, about 1864; have had five children. Henry C. ROSCOE, son of Alfred P., was several years post master, and held other offices in town. He was elected to the Legislature in 1882. He married Jennie, daughter of Dr. E. D. HALL, for his second wife. Alfred P. ROSCOE, son of A. M. ROSCOE, has held the office of postmaster since his father's death. 

      Richard HALL settled in town at an early date; he was from Mansfield, Conn., and lived first on the farm now owned by Almond FARNSWORTH; a few years later he moved to the farm now owned by Henry R. BARROWS. Adin HALL, son of Richard, came here, having studied medicine with Dr. William BASS, of Middlebury, and was for a long period an active and successful physician in New Haven. He was also prominent in public affairs; was elected to the Legislature in 1833, '34 and '35, and was judge of probate from 1833 to '35. His son, Dr. E. D. HALL, was born in New Haven in 1817. He studied medicine with his father and at the Castleton Medical College, where he graduated in 1842. He practiced first in St. Alban's Bay for five years; then at Vergennes one year, since which time he has been in New Haven.

      Elisha H. LANDON was born in Salisbury, Conn., in 1800, and when twenty-one years old came to New Haven. He followed mercantile pursuits for several years, and finally settled on the Myron GRINNELL farm, where he now resides; married Charlotte HOYT July 12, 1825. Children: Charlotte, who married a Mr. SHAFFER; Mary Ann, who married Dr. E. D. HALL, of this town; Ezra, who lives at Vergennes; William, who died some years since; Mills J., and Kate, who was Henry C. ROSCOE's first wife. His first wife died March 4, 1864. He married Mrs. Sophronia WALKER in 1866, and enjoys a hearty old age. He has done an insurance business for forty years. Mills J. succeeds his father in farming and in insurance business; has held several town offices, and is now a magistrate. He married Harriet, daughter of Deacon Oliver DEXTER, who spent the latter part of a useful life in this town, where he came from Weybridge, locating on the east side of New Haven street, opposite the park; he died in 1883 and his wife in 1885. A daughter still lives in the home. Dr. E. F. PRESTON, who resides in a part of the house, was born in Burlington March 4, 1857. He studied medicine in the University of Vermont and was graduated in 1884. He was married to Cora A., youngest daughter of the late Truman and Juliette HOLLEY, of Cornwall, Vt., June 17, 1885. He is superintendent of common schools, and has been practicing medicine in town since he graduated.

      Jeremiah and Ruth COOK were early settlers, and were married in 1790. Of their seven children the two youngest remained in town on the original homestead. Gustavus was born April 13, 1807; Celestia, July 26, 1806. The former married a Miss FITCH, and they had two daughters--Ruth, who married Charles E., son of Samuel S. WRIGHT, now resides at the Street, on one of the HOYT homesteads; her husband died suddenly; Mary L. married Harry W. BINGHAM, of West Cornwall, where she resides. Mr. COOK married for his second wife Hila, daughter of Jeremiah LEE, of Bridport, who, with one daughter, survives him; they are now residents of Middlebury. Major COOK died in the spring of 1874, His only son, Charles B., died soon after at the age of twenty-seven years. This farm was sold soon after to William D. LANE, of Cornwall, who was a florist and seedsman. He now resides in Middlebury, and the farm is owned by Fred HAMMOND and Norman C. BROOKS. The COOK mansion was burned about six years since.

      Thomas DICKINSON, a Revolutionary soldier, came to New Haven in 1785, locating near the falls at Brooksville, where he built the first saw-mill on that site.

      Lemuel B. ELDREDGE was born in Mansfield, Tolland county, Conn., July 19, 1777. The family were of Scotch descent, the great-grandfather of Lemuel having emigrated to Rhode Island at an early day, and thence his grandfather removed to Connecticut. Deacon Lemuel ELDREDGE and his son, Lemuel B., came to Vermont in 1798, locating upon the farm now in the possession of Julius L. ELDREDGE, of New Haven, son of Lemuel B., the latter preceding his father's arrival a few months. But upon the arrival of his father, Lemuel B. moved to another part of the town, where, for several years and until his father's death, he resided on a farm near New Haven East Mills. After the death of his father, Lemuel B. sold his farm and removed to his late father's homestead, where he resided until his death, January 10, 1864, in the eighty-seventh year of his age. Mr. Eldredge was married to Martha THALL, of Mansfield, Conn., in 1798, just before their removal to Vermont. Fourteen children were born to them, of whom four sons and four daughters arrived at maturity, two only of whom are now living, Deacon Julius L. ELDREDGE, of Middlebury, and A. W. ELDREDGE, of Colton, St. Lawrence county, N. Y. Mrs. ELDREDGE survived her husband's death until August, 1869, dying at the age of ninety-three, years. In July, 1830, continued and heavy rains swelled the sources of New Haven River until the latter became a torrent of devastation. Buildings, bridges, crops, and stock were swept to destruction. Mr. ELDREDGE wrote and published an account of the flood soon after, in which he described many incidents with thrilling power and pathos. He, with his son and others, were surrounded by the rapidly-rising waters, while they were attempting the rescue of two families who lived near the stream. So suddenly did the waters rise, and with such impetuosity did they rush, that the houses and barns containing the doomed people were torn from their foundations in a few minutes, and all were swept down by the angry torrent, but few escaping. ELDREDGE was on a hastily-constructed raft with his son and a few others. He and one other escaped. There were twenty-one persons on the surrounded space when the waters reached them. Of this number, seven of a family named Stewart, five of another named Wilson, Mr. ELDREDGE's son Loyal, and Peter SUMMERS were drowned.

      In an interview with the venerable Julius L. ELDREDGE, whose name has been mentioned among the early settlements, he gives his recollections of the region of Brooksville as far back as 1815. There was then a trip-hammer shop, where scythes, hoes, and other tools were made. Near by was a "pocket furnace," run by a Mr. AIKEN. Just above, on the same side of the stream, was a wagon shop, carried on by Mr. FITCH. On the other side, beginning at the bridge, was the saw-mill of Alfred STOWELL, the clothier's shop and carding machine of Gideon M. FISK; next below, a wagon shop and fanning-mill factory by Horace SMITH; farther down was the saw-mill of John WILSON, and still farther another "pocket furnace," also run by WILSON; then came the wooden-clock shop of Russell RICHARDS and a blacksmith shop by Joshua SCOTT, and the oil-mill owned by Aaron HASKINS. All, or nearly all, of this manufacturing property was swept away by the flood of 1830.

      After the flood William WILSON, brother of John, built a saw-mill, which has been taken down; on the opposite side of the stream he also had a triphammer shop, and Julius and Bela ELDREDGE built a saw-mill; this mill was about on the site of the present shops of Norman C. BROOKS. On the site of the finishing shop of Mr. BROOKS, Amos WELLER built a grist-mill, which was subsequently burned. In 1883 Frank B. BROOKS built a store at Brooksville, which was carried on by Norman C. BROOKS, but has recently passed to the hands of W. W. WARREN. Barzillai BROOKS came to Brooksville some forty years ago with his four sons, and since that time they have been the life of the little hamlet. An axe and tool factory was built by Edward, MILTON, and McDonough BROOKS, for whom Norman C., the younger, then worked. The elder BROOKS was an experienced steel worker, and tempered the tools so successfully as to give them an excellent reputation. The axe factory was entirely destroyed by fire in 1881, but was rebuilt by Norman C. BROOKS.

      Deacon Julius L. ELDREDGE married Polly COWLES, sister of Martin COWLES, and lived on his father's farm in Brooksville until within a few years, when he went to live with his son, Loyal D. ELDREDGE, in Middlebury. He represented his town in the Legislature in 1850-51. His son Loyal D. graduated at Middlebury College, and entered the legal profession. He was for many years a partner of ex-Governor John W. STEWART. He was a member of the Vermont Senate in 1876.

      Isaac GIBBS, who resides on the farm originally occupied by Josiah COWLES, and later by Henry, son of Martin COWLES, was born in Middlebury in 1802, where he resided until sixty-two years of age. He remembers hearing the first Methodist sermon ever preached in that town, by Rev. Mr. GIRDLEY. He, being required to preach a sermon before they would grant him a license, took for his text, "By the lips of Pharaoh ye are all spies."

      Loren RICHARDS, of Cornwall, bought in 1863 of William H. DUNTON the place long owned and occupied by John CRANE, three-fourths of a mile north of Brooksville. Mr. RICHARDS has always devoted much attention to the breeding of Merino sheep.

      Seth LANGDON came from Framingham, Mass., in 1782, settling upon the farm now owned by Charles PECK. As early as 1791 he was one of the selectmen. He died in December, 1851, at the age of ninety-two years. Seth LANGDON, jr., was born on the homestead July 7, 1799. He married Laura, daughter of Wait SQUIER, and reared a large family. He was for several years constable, and held various other offices, and in 1845 and '46 was chosen to the Legislature. He died in 1881.

      David, Giles, Joel, Silas, and Isaac DOUD were five brothers who came from Terringham, Mass., the latter part of the last century and settled on Town Hill. Of the descendants of the five brothers only those of Silas remain in town.

      Harry W. CARTER, of Monkton, bought the Osmond DOUD farm of two hundred and twelve acres, which he successfully manages in connection with his son-in-law, George S. RUSSELL, who married his only daughter.

      Moses STOWE was born in Massachusetts in 1796. He purchased the frontage of the farm upon which Loyal W. STOWE and E. A. DOUD now reside. He was twice married, rearing a large family, of whom his son Loyal W. only remains in town. Moses STOWE died in 1849.

      Mahlon L. TAYLOR built the house now owned by James H. MACK, who is a speculator, dealing in live stock. The place was owned for several years by Mr. FOSTER, father of Mrs. Harry LANGDON, late of New Haven. The farm for so many years occupied by Eleazer TAYLOR is now owned by Charles H. WICKER, whose wife was Miss Mary CHAMPLIN. Their oldest son, George, died there January 15, 1885, leaving a wife and four daughters. The oldest daughter, Lou, married Silas D. DOUD, who lives with his father, Sylvester, at the foot of Town Hill. Eliza, the second daughter, married Charles ROGERS, and lives at the Center, in the house so long the home of Dr. George B. SANBORN (now a homeopathic physician of Rutland). The son, Charles G. WICKER, is engaged in the lumber business in Hastings, Neb. The youngest daughter, Abbie, lives at home. Mrs. WICKER died the 6th of March, 1886.

      Nathan BARTON came from Litchfield, Conn., with his father in 1770, and settled on the farm now occupied by his grandson, George W. BARTON. He was a surveyor, and was often called upon to survey plots of land, roads, and pitches. He was at different times selectman. His son, Walter BARTON, occupied the same farm more than seventy years, and was succeeded by his son, George W. BARTON, who has held several of the principal offices of the town.

      Wait SQUIER came to Cornwall in July, 1788, built a log blacksmith shop, cleared several acres of land and sowed to wheat, and returned to Massachusetts in the fall. In 1789 he pursued a similar course. In 1790 he married Hannah POWELL, of Lanesboro, and came to Cornwall and took up his residence, and remained there four years. In 1794 he removed to New Haven and bought the farm now owned by Edward S. DANA, and somewhat later built the handsome and commodious residence which was destroyed by fire in 1865. About 1830 he sold his farm to his son Calvin, and built the house and store on the corner at the village, now owned by Caroline EATON, where he resided until his death, January 9, 1858, aged ninety-one years. He had three sons and four daughters, who reached maturity --Wait, jr., Calvin, Miles P., Laura, Lorinda, Aurelia, and Huldana. Laura and Lorinda married and lived in town, as elsewhere stated. Huldana married William G. HENRY, of Bennington, who removed to Grand Rapids, Mich., and afterward to Detroit, and she died in 1880. Her daughter is the wife of General R. A. ALGER, the present governor of Michigan. Aurelia married P. M. HENRY, of Bennington, a prominent citizen of that town, who about 1865 removed to Geneva, N. Y., where they still reside. Miles P. SQUIER, D. D., was graduated at Middlebury College and entered the ministry. He was a pioneer preacher in western New York, held services in a barn in a settlement which has since enlarged to be the city of Buffalo, and did missionary work in various other places; was for many years professor in Beloit College, Wisconsin, where he endowed a chair in mental and moral philosophy, and finally located in Geneva, N. Y., where he died in 1866. He was an able and scholarly writer, and the author of several religious works. Wait, jr., removed to Michigan and established a colony at a place which took the name of Vermontville. Calvin SQUIER, who was born April 4, 1795, and always resided on the farm where he was born, was a highly respected citizen, a man who took great interest in social, religious, and educational matters, and lent his influence and used his means to strengthen and uphold whatever would tend to benefit and improve society. He was for many years a magistrate, and deacon of the Congregational Church. He died May 6, 1880, having reared a large family, but three of whom survive -- Mary, widow of Edward S. DANA; Martha, wife of D. M. HILL, of Pasadena, Cal., and David HENRY, who lives on Town Hill. Another son, George W., graduated at Middlebury College in 1858, and was preparing for professional life, but died suddenly in 1864.

      Edward S. DANA purchased the farm of Calvin SQUIER in the spring of 1877. He was born at Cornwall April 27, 1834, and was the son of Austin DANA, who was for forty years a prominent citizen, farmer, and town officer of Cornwall, and who died in 1870. His mother was Susan (GALE) DANA, daughter of General Somers GALE, of Cornwall, who was a prominent military man in the early part of the century, and served as major under General STRONG at the battle of Plattsburgh in 1814, in command of the Vermont volunteers. Mr. DANA married a daughter of Deacon Calvin SQUIER September 11, 1861, and for ten years thereafter held official position at Washington, D. C., as clerk and examiner-in-chief in the U. S. Pension Office, and as assistant clerk of the U. S. House of Representatives. Returning to Cornwall in 1871, he held the office of selectman four years, and other town offices, and in 1874 was elected to the Legislature, removing to New Haven in 1877. In 1880 he was elected to the Vermont Senate. He has been for several years president of the board of trustees of Beeman Academy, and in 1885 was appointed town clerk. He has been frequently called upon to preside over public meetings, having been twelve times elected moderator of town meetings and often chosen chairman of political assemblages. He devoted considerable attention to literary matters, and had the largest private library in the county. [Mr. Dana had nearly finished the history of New Haven for this work, when he was called from earth on the 24th of February, 1886.]

      David Henry SQUIER, son of Calvin, married in 1859 Anna LOOMIS of Champlain, N. Y., and resided there for several years. In 1865 he purchased of Dr. G. R. SANBORN the place where he now lives. He has held various town offices, and is at present one of the selectmen.

      Within the extended and somewhat diversified area of territory lying between the railroad and Otter Creek, and which has to a considerable degree become isolated from the rest of the town in its business, religious, and social relations, the WRIGHTs have long been important factors. Samuel S. WRIGHT is a magistrate and first selectman, and owns 600 acres of land. Daniel H. WRIGHT owns 300 acres, and Caleb WRIGHT 220 acres. These large farms are prudently and carefully managed, making excellent returns to their owners. Daniel WRIGHT, was born in New Marlboro, Mass., February 4, 1780. He was the third son of Ebenezer WRIGHT, who was born in Northampton, Mass., in 1752. He married Rebecca STANNARD, and she became the mother of fourteen children, twelve of whom lived to be more than forty years old. In 1784 Ebenezer WRIGHT came with his family -- then comprising the wife and five children -- to Weybridge, Vt., and located on the farm now occupied by Edwin S. WRIGHT, where they resided during life. She died in 1794 and he in 1832, and both were buried on the farm in Weybridge. Daniel spent his minority at home and in the adjoining town of Addison, except a year, more or less, passed with his grandfather, Caleb WRIGHT, at Amenia, Dutchess county, N. Y. March 25, 1802, he was married to Bathsheba FROST, of Cornwall, Vt. She was born in Williamstown, Mass., May 18, 1781. They commenced business life together in 1802 on a small farm lying between the farm of his father and that of the late Samuel CHILD. He cleared the land and built the first dwelling house thereon, and the same is still standing. He lived on that place five years, then purchased of Dr. Benjamin BULLARD the farm on the west side of the river near the "Reef bridge" in Weybridge, and occupied the same until 1820, when he removed to New Haven and purchased the farm where S. S. WRIGHT now resides, and occupied it until his death, September 11, 1866. He was at the battle of Plattsburgh, in Captain Silas WRIGHT's company, and died fifty-two years from that historic day. His wife survived him, and died in October, 1869. He was a man of more than ordinary native ability, but the lack of an early education prevented the development of his real mental strength. He was a successful farmer and financier, and left a competency to his family. He was noted for his liberality toward educational and benevolent institutions, especially in aiding and building up the Baptist and Methodist Church edifices in his neighborhood, and also the Congregational Church in Weybridge, of which he was a lifelong member.

      His family consisted of seven sons and one daughter, the latter becoming the wife of John CHILD, late of Weybridge, and dying in that town in July, 1843, aged thirty-five years. One of the sons died in infancy, the others are still living. The eldest, Alanson L., born August 4, 1803, married Delight HASTINGS, of Greenfield, Mass., spent a few years on the farm on the river in Weybridge, and in 1835 purchased a valuable farm in St. Albans, Vt., and became a wealthy farmer; he subsequently sold the farm and made a home in the adjoining town of Swanton, where he now resides. Daniel H., born August 9, 1805, married Betsey CALKINS, of Waltham, March 14, 1827. Caleb WRIGHT, born February 13, 1810, married Harriet ROCKWOOD, of Bristol, November 1, 1831. Samuel S., born December 4, 1822, married Wealthy E. WRIGHT February 2, 1841. All reside in New Haven, have reared families, and all are prosperous farmers. Emerson R., born April 10, 1815, was a graduate of Middlebury College in the class of 1838; he studied law in the office of E. D. BARBER, was admitted to the bar of Addison county, and practiced law several years; was postmaster in Middlebury during the administration of James K. POLK, and again in that of Franklin PIERCE; he married Clara A. POND, of Addison, January 1, 1845, and resides in Middlebury, Vt. William Silas, born January 6, 1819, married Lucy C. PHILLIPS, of Pittsford, Vt., resided with his parents at the homestead until the decease of his father in 1866, when he purchased a farm in Waltham, Vt., where he now resides. He was representative from Waltham in the General Assembly in 1874 and '75, and at the present time is one of the associate judges of Addison County Court, by appointment of the governor.

      Ezra C. SMITH, son-in-law of D. H. WRIGHT, lives near him, but formerly lived at New Haven Mills. He has filled various town offices, and was in the Legislature of 1870.

      Samuel CHALKER, from Saybrook, Conn., located in 1790 upon the farm now owned by Elizabeth, Catharine, and Charlotte CHALKER. Daniel E. CHALKER, his son, born there in 1801, died in 1863. The sisters above named successfully manage the large farm of 440 acres.

      Rev. Ward BULLARD, brother of Dr. Cullen BULLARD, was born in Weybridge in 1810. He spent his earlier years on his father's farm in New Haven, fitted for college and was graduated from Middlebury in 1834. He was licensed to preach the gospel by a bishop of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and entered the Christian ministry about 1838. He was stationed at various places in Vermont and New York, and labored with considerable success several years; but the state of his health and other influences induced him to suspend public labors, and he came back to New Haven, purchased a part of the old homestead, and there spent twenty years or more of his life, and died in 1880. He was a deep thinker and fine writer, and was often called from his retirement to preach in the pulpits of neighboring towns. He was superintendent of common schools several years, and represented New Haven in the General Assembly in 1866 and '67. Dr. Cullen BULLARD was born in Weybridge December 4, 1806. He was the eldest son of Dr. Benjamin BULLARD, who came from Massachusetts and commenced the practice of medicine in Weybridge and vicinity, probably about the year 1800. In 1807 he removed to Massena, N. Y., but returned after a year's absence and located on a farm bought of Enoch SPRAGUE in New Haven, a short distance north of the Reef bridge, but continued the practice of his profession until his decease in 1828. Dr. CULLEN, then a recent graduate of a medical college, immediately commenced the business of his father, and was the leading physician in the west part of New Haven and adjoining towns more than fifty years. He was an excellent nurse, a skillful physician and surgeon. He died suddenly of heart disease at the family homestead in New Haven January 2, 1882, deeply lamented by a community which he had long, and faithfully served. In politics Dr. BULLARD was a pronounced Democrat. Too generous in his habits, he failed to accumulate a competency like many of his profession, but made ample provision for his wife, who survives him.

      Josiah CLARK, born in Lebanon, Windsor county, Vt., in 1757, came to New Haven about 1790, locating on the "west side" upon the old homestead, which has never since been owned outside of the CLARK family. The farm was then a swamp, supposed to be a worthless tract of land; but which, by perseverance, has been reclaimed, and is now a productive farm. Mr. CLARK married Lucy BALL, had a family of three children, Joel T., Ira, and Laura, and died June 17, 1835. Joel T. married Amy SPRAGUE and located in Waltham, where he became a prominent man, while Ira remained on the old homestead, and had four children who arrived at maturity, one of whom, Norman, graduated from Middlebury College, and subsequently from the New Hampton Theological Institute. One, Almon, afterward came into possession of the old homestead, and was the father of three children, Huldah, Ira W., and Edwin A., only one of whom, Ira W., now survives. The widow of Almon still lives on the homestead.

      Nathaniel H. FRENCH, of Trumbull, Conn., came to New Haven in 1789, settling on the farm now owned by Charles W. MASON. He served through the War of 1812 and died in 1851, aged ninety-two. His son Nathaniel died in 1885, aged eighty-four years, at the home of his son, William N. The latter has been considerably interested in breeding Merino sheep, and recently in rearing fine poultry, including the bronze turkey, which weighs from twenty to thirty pounds when dressed. He married Mary DORSON, of Franklin. 

      James THOMPSON came from Salisbury, Conn., in 1794 and settled on the farm now owned by Hiram WHEELER; a few years later he removed to the brick house recently occupied by his son James, where he died in 1842; James, jr., died in 1885. Hiram and Alfred THOMPSON of this family are now residents of this town. Alfred J. lives on the place for many years owned by Peleg FISHER, south part of the village, and married a sister of Dr. E. F. PRESTON.

      Ira WARD, a veteran of the War of 1812, and an early settler in Waltham, came to town and located on the farm now owned by Hiram WHEELER in 1820, where he remained until 1837, when he removed to the farm he now occupies with his sell George W. WARD. At the age of eighty-eight years he is still vigorous, and has lived with his present wife about sixty-five years. George W. married Sarah Jane CHASE, and is a thrifty farmer and breeder of fine stock. He with his brother, Henry W., are the only children now in town of Ira WARD's large family.

      Charles W. MASON was born in Potsdam, N. Y., but since he was thirteen years old has resided mostly at his present home, which was the home of his mother before her marriage. He has been extensively engaged in the breeding and sale of Merino sheep for twenty-seven years past, his flock much of the time numbering one hundred or more. He has shipped two thousand five hundred Merino sheep to western New York, Ohio, Michigan, and Illinois since 1875. He has also sent about nine thousand to Missouri, Kansas, Nebraska, Colorado, Wyoming, New Mexico, Texas, and Utah. His father, Lawrence S. MASON, married Sarah FRENCH, daughter of Nathaniel H. FRENCH; she was born on this farm, and died here in 1879. Charles W. was married to a daughter of Jabez and Helen (WARD) ROGERS; they have five children; one, Hattie, is a student of Amherst, Mass.; Nellie, a graduate of Beeman, is now in Potsdam, N. Y. Andrew J. Mason, the oldest son of Lawrence S. and Sarah (FRENCH) MASON, married Ann WARD, and lives on the farm that was the family home of the HICKOCKs. He is a farmer, and breeder of registered sheep. He was one of the three-years volunteers of the last war, and was enfeebled from hardship and exposure. His son, Fred C., is running a sheep ranch in Colorado.

      E. and I. M. KNOWLES, two brothers, own 1,200 acres of land, 150 head of young stock, sixty cows, and are extensive breeders of all kinds of fine stock. Ezra resides in Monkton; Ira M., in the north part of the town. Near them live Erastus C. PECK and his son Warren, whose homes are near each other.

      Ira WARD, who was previously spoken of, celebrated his ninetieth birthday on the 9th of April, 1886. There were four generations present. Mrs. WARD is in her eighty-eighth year. Ira came to town in 1820, and in 1837 located on the farm where he now lives. He, however, many years since gave up its management to his son, G. W. WARD, who married Sarah Jane CHASE, who, with three children, resides under the same roof.

      New Haven Mills, a post-village located in the southeastern part of the town, on the New Haven River, contains, aside from its manufacturing interests, one church, one school-house, and about twenty dwellings. At an early date there was quite a village and considerable manufacturing here. A saw-mill, wagon shop, carding-machine, cooper shop, and tannery were in operation at the lower village. The tannery was built by a Mr. PIER, and the carding-machine and trip-hammer shop by Mr. HENDEE. At the upper village, three-quarters of a mile distant, was the grist-mill and saw-mill run by D. P. NASH, and the clothier's shop by Othniel JEWETT, and a tannery, shoe shop and store by Henry S. WALKER. Barzillai BROOKS carried on blacksmithing, and Mr. NASH had a distillery. At a later date a woolen factory was in operation at the Mills, which was last operated by Edward P. THAYER. The building is still standing, and is the same one run by, Othniel JEWETT. The grist-mill was burned down many, years ago and never rebuilt. The saw-mill was operated until about 1868, and by H. O. GIFFORD & Co. last. P. M. LANDON has a butter-factory here which was started in 1885. It will be noted that almost all of the former manufacturing interests of New Haven have become things of the past--wiped out of existence by the active competition of more favored localities.

      Of the settlers and residents in the vicinity of the Mills may be mentioned William LAMPSON, who settled on East street about 1800. Curtis T. LAMPSON was born here September 21, 1806. He attended the district school and built the fires, receiving the ashes therefrom as his reward. When about seventeen he joined his brother William, a fur trader in Canada, who was connected in some way with the Hudson Bay Company. He traveled among the Indians and hunters of British America, and acquired valuable knowledge of the fur trade. He went to New York and in the employ of John Jacob ASTOR's agent, and other dealers, went repeatedly to London with cargoes of fur. In 1830 he established himself in London in the fur business. His success was wonderful, and he soon had the largest depot for peltry in Europe. He accumulated an immense fortune, reckoned by millions of pounds sterling. He was the special friend of George PEABODY, the American banker, who died at his house. He was very active in aiding Cyrus W. FIELD in laying the first Atlantic cable. For this he received the honor of baronetcy from Queen Victoria November 13, 1866, in acknowledgment of his distinguished services. With immense wealth he was very charitable. He remembered the early days of his own poverty, and never turned away his face from any poor man. Mr. LAMPSON was in America for the last time in 1857, when he visited the home of his early youth. He gave eight thousand dollars in 1868 for the erection of a fine school-house at the Mills, and furnished it with a handsome library of nearly one thousand volumes, selected by himself. He died March 12, 1885.

      Colonel David Phelps NASH was born in Connecticut in 1775, and came to New Haven in 1793 or '94, and purchased land on the river and kept a store about one and one-half miles below the Mills. The farm of David P. NASH was purchased of Grant Prime, and formerly owned by Justus SHERWOOD, the Tory, whose lands were confiscated when he fled to Canada. Not long after he purchased the water privilege at the Mills, and from that time was largely interested in the grist-mill, carding-machine, plaster-mill, saw-mill, and forge; was also largely engaged in farming. He was married in 1804 to Elizabeth WILCOX, of Connecticut; he built one of the largest and best houses in town, in which he died in 1852. He was colonel of militia in 1812, and was at the battle of Plattsburgh. He twice represented the town in the Legislature, and was known through the State as a man of great business ability, and liberal to a fault. His son, Hon. Samuel P. NASH, is the only surviving child of a family of ten children. He married Mary S. MUNGER, who died in 1883, at the home of their only son, Edward P. NASH, of Salisbury, where Mr. S. P. NASH now resides. One daughter died some years since, and Jennie NASH, the remaining one, has been a teacher in Hoosick Falls for some years. Hon. Samuel P. NASH was senator in 1858-59, and held other offices.

       William NASH, father of Colonel David P. NASH, was from Goshen, Conn., and settled early near David P. A younger brother, named William, jr., came at the same date with his father. William, jr., better known as General NASH, was twelve years old when his father came to the town, and became prominent in the early manufacturing operations at the Mills. General NASH represented the town in the Legislature in 1825-26, 1836 and '49; was State senator in 1846-47. He filled many places of responsibility, having been one of the first directors of the Bank of Vergennes, which position he resigned, being elected the president of the Bank of Middlebury, at its organization in 1832. This position he held for fifteen years, and was for more than twenty years a member of the corporation of Middlebury College; was delegate in 1852 to the National Whig Convention held at Baltimore. He was a member of the Bible, Home, and Foreign Missionary Societies, and contributed cheerfully and liberally to all the benevolent enterprises of the day. He married Miss Mary WRIGHT January, 1817, and lived with her nearly fifty-five years, on the farm where he died in December, 1871. Mrs. NASH died in 1880. They had a family of nine sons, who all lived to manhood. Hon. William P., the eldest, married Elizabeth, the daughter of Colonel David P. NASH, with whom he lived many years. His present wife is Mattie C., daughter of Solomon W. JEWETT. He is a prominent business man of large property, and an extensive land owner; is a breeder of fine horses and Merino sheep; has been a director for many years of Middlebury bank; was town representative in 1854-55, senator in 1868 and '69, and has been honored with many other positions of trust. Fordyce, the second son of General NASH, was twice married. He died at the Mills about twenty-five years since, leaving a wife and three sons--Frank J., Fordyce W., and Fred. Frank J. resides with his mother near the Mills; has a farm of two hundred and twenty-five acres, a fine dairy, and is interested in agricultural pursuits. He was town representative in 1884; is now first selectman; is a deacon of the Congregational Church. Fordyce W. lives in Bristol, where he is a popular merchant. Fred lives in the West. Charles, the third son of General NASH, married a daughter of the late Jonathan HAGAR, of Middlebury, who died in 1878. He is a banker of wealth and prominence in Milwaukee, Wis., where he settled in early life and still resides with his remaining sons. Jonathan, the fourth son of General NASH, married West and lives in Wisconsin. James, the fifth son, died while a student at Middlebury College. Joseph R., the sixth son, married Miss SELLECK, of Middlebury, by whom he had one son, William J.; his last wife, Carrie E., daughter of Judge Oliver SMITH, survives him. He held various positions of public trust in town faithfully and acceptably, and in 1874 was elected a member of the Vermont House, where he was on several important committees. He died April 9, 1878. He had a charming home on the banks of the New Haven River, which is now the residence of his only son, William J., who married Carrie E., daughter of Nelson W. PARTCH. Wallace, the seventh son, lived West, and died in 1879. Noah Preserved, the eighth son, was born at the time of the flood in 1830, and his narrow escape suggested his name, as the water stood almost to the chamber floor for many hours, where his mother and friends were. He married Ellen, oldest daughter of Judge Oliver SMITH. They reside at Oak Grove, Wis. They have three sons--Edward P., Henry O., and William W. The youngest son of General William NASH, Dorastus W., lives on the farm formerly owned by Moses WHEELER (who lived there for many years, and whose family moved West). Dorastus W. married Lottie FITCH, who died June 15, 1877. His present wife was Louisa POTTER, of Middlebury. He has a farm of three hundred and sixty acres; has fine stock, a dairy of thirty-five cows; makes a specialty of fast horses. He has a hospitable home; has held many offices; was a member of the House of Representatives in 1878. The old General NASH home, now occupied by Hon. William P. NASH, stands on the bank of the river, and is one of the most romantic and lovely of the ancient homesteads of Addison county, and is now, as it has been for nearly a century, a delightful and hospitable retreat for many friends, far and near. This farm was settled by Ariel THOMPSON, of Mansfield, Conn., in 1814. 

      Othniel JEWETT was born at Fryingham, Mass., January 11, 1779, where he learned the trade of wool-carding and cloth-dressing. He established himself at New Haven Mills in this business about 1800. In 1820 and 1823 he served in the Legislature, and was for twenty-eight years a justice of the peace. His first wife, Susan NASH (daughter of William NASH, sr.), was born at Goshen, Conn., February 24, 1784; married March 7, 1801. His last wife was a sister of Rev. John TODD, D. D. His children were Abigail, born December 3, 1802; Eliza, born July 26, 1805; George D., born November, 23, 1806, married Harriet BRADLEY. He went to California during the gold excitement and was murdered there. The next son is James M., of whom no dates are found. Elam R. was born December 7, 1810. He learned the printer's art at Middlebury, where he was apprenticed for seven years to serve for his board and twenty five dollars the first year, and an addition of five dollars each year, and to have the benefit of six months' schooling during the seven years. He graduated a first-class printer at the age of twenty. He published newspapers in Middlebury and various other places. He at length became one of the owners of the Buffalo Commercial Advertiser, the leading paper of that city, which inaugurated the celebrated chromotypic style of printing, out of which has grown the beautiful colored work now seen on cards, show bills, etc. He afterward furnished entirely the fine line engraving for the United States Patent Reports, which were pronounced the handsomest specimens of work ever submitted for inspection by the government. He was married in 1838 to Caroline WHEELER, of New Haven, Vt., and having acquired a large fortune he retired to a beautiful suburban residence, where they still live in a happy old age. He visits New Haven annually.

      The New Haven Central Cheese Factory, near New Haven Station, went into operation June 27, 1869, on land given to the company by H. C. HUNT, esq. The cost of building an apparatus was about 3,000 dollars. The milk from 330 cows was used daily, and from three to four hundred pounds of cheese made daily. In 1883 L. W. Stowe and A. D. Evarts purchased the property and established a creamery, which uses the centrifugal separator. In 1885 they received 504,545 pounds of milk. Beaver Glen Cheese Factory, owned by H. P. Palmer, situated about a mile south of New Haven village, has been in successful operation since 1879. P. M. LANDON has a butter factory at the Mills, which was established in 1885.

      The Green Mountain Wood-pulp Company, at Belden Falls, has been in successful operation since 1881; they use the Cartmell process. There is a mill for sawing marble at these falls on Otter Creek, near the pulp-mill.

      The Cutter Marble Company's quarry was first opened in 1830 by T. PHELPS. In 1843 it was purchased by Isaac GIBBS. In 1868 it was purchased by Henry CUTTER, of Winchester, Mass., and Franklin SNOW and A. T. D. BROOKS, of Boston. At one time it produced $40,000 worth of marble annually, but the work is now abandoned.

      The BROOKS Edge-tool Company, at Brooksville, has manufactured 4,000 dozen axes annually; but Mr. Brooks is about to retire from business.


      That the patriotism of the people of New Haven was aroused when rebellion threatened to wreck the nation is evidenced by the alacrity with which she responded to the country's call for assistance. She did her whole duty in promptly furnishing her quota of soldiers. Following is the list of names of those who served in her behalf in Vermont organizations, as compiled from State documents:

      Volunteers for three years credited previous to call for 300,000 volunteers of October 17, 1863:


      Credits under call of October 17, 1863, for 300,000 volunteers, and subsequent calls:


      Volunteers for one year.--M. BOWEN, F. W. DUFFY, J. C. GROVER, J. C. GROVER, jr., I. PLAIN, D. D. SULLIVAN.


      Enrolled men who furnished substitute.--S. B. A.L. COWLES, E. S. DANA.

      Not credited by name.--Two men.


      Furnished under draft.--Paid commutation, H. V. JACOBS, D. H. SQUIERS, D. S. WALKER. Procured substitute, E. A. DOUD, E. A. LANGDON, C. E. PALMER, C. PECK, H. O. SMITH. Entered service, G. F. WASHBURNE.


      New Haven is a pleasant village, situated upon high ground, with a commanding view of the Green Mountains on the east and the Adirondacks on the west. It lies chiefly on two streets crossing each other at right angles, Lanesboro and Depot streets, the latter leading to New Haven Station, one mile distant in a westerly direction. The village contains two stores, one church, town house, one hotel, three blacksmith shops, two wheelwright shops, a district school-house, the Beeman Academy, one harness shop, one shoe shop, and over forty dwellings.

      In 1855 the first steps were taken towards the establishment of an academy here by calling a meeting at the village, which was largely attended by the prominent citizens of the town, and at which the following resolution was adopted: "Resolved, That the interests of education in this community demand the erection of a building suitable for an academy, and therefore we will at once take the necessary steps to build one."

      In a short time sufficient money was subscribed by liberal and public-spirited citizens to erect the building, and in November, 1855, New Haven Academy was opened with Rev. Otto HOYT as principal, a position he held for three years. From 1858 to 1868 there were several changes. Among others who served as principal during this period was George W. SQUIER, son of Deacon Calvin SQUIER. In 1865 Rev. C. B. HULBERT, afterward president of Middlebury College, was elected president of the trustees. Through his exertions the school was reorganized, and an ample subscription was pledged for the payment of current expenses, if the tuitions should prove insufficient. In 1868 Abel E. LEAVENWORTH, now principal and proprietor of the Normal School at Castleton, Vt., was elected principal. During the next two years the tuitions amounted to more than sixteen hundred dollars, while the citizens showed their love for the academy and for the cause of education, which it was intended to promote, by the payment of over a thousand dollars to meet deficiencies. About this time Anson P. BEEMAN, a former resident of the town, but then living in Burlington, who was a member of the association which founded the academy in 1855, became interested in the effort to establish the school on a better and more permanent basis. He therefore made a will, bequeathing $6,000 to the academy, the annual income of which Should be devoted to the support of such qualified teachers as the trustees might employ. Two conditions were attached to this bequest: First, that an act of the Legislature should be procured incorporating the academy, officers, and trustees thereof under the name of Beeman Academy; and second, that the citizens of the town should raise and invest as a permanent fund, for the object named in the bequest, a sum of not less than $4,000. These conditions were met, and Beeman Academy was incorporated in 1869. In 1870 the citizens subscribed over $5,000, and invested with the Beeman fund. Section six of the charter declares that the standard of examination required for graduation in the several courses shall be as follows: "For the English course it shall not be less than that now required by the State Board of Education for the highest grade of teachers' certificates. For the scientific course it shall be equal to that required for admission to the agricultural and scientific departments of the best colleges in the country. For the classical Course it shall be of a grade that will enable the graduate to enter upon a full Course of study in the best colleges."

      In the fall of 1870 Beeman Academy was opened, with Abel E. LEAVENWORTH as principal. He held this position until 1875, when he resigned to accept the principalship of the State Normal School at Randolph. From 1875 to 1879 H. S. PERRIGO, H. P. STIMSON, and W. J. FISH were successively employed as principals. The catalogue for 1881 gives the following board of instruction: C. C. GOVE, A. M., principal, classics and natural science; Miss Emma F. SHARP, preceptress, French, German, and mathematics; Professor H. M. SEELY, of Middlebury College, lecturer on natural science; Miss Abby W. KENT, vocal and instrumental music; Miss Sue PARKER, painting and drawing; Mr. James M. KENT, penmanship.

      The present principal is Herbert HOFFNAGLE, A. B., a graduate of the University of Vermont, with Miss HOFFNAGLE as preceptress; Miss Minnie E. ROSCOE, teacher of vocal and instrumental music, with other competent instructors during the six years' administration of Professor GOVE a valuable library was established for the use of the students, and two literary societies founded "The Brownings" and "The Irvings." The academy has graduated more than a hundred Students, many of whom have pursued a collegiate course; it has furnished many well-qualified teachers for the district schools, and has exerted upon the town a moral and educational influence, the benefit of which cannot be estimated. It was never better organized for efficient work than at present. It is justly the pride of the town, and deserves the confidence and patronage of the public. Surely its founders builded wisely and well! Edward S. DANA is president of the board of trustees; Henry C. ROSCOE, clerk, and Mills J. LANDON, treasurer.


      The early religious services of this town were held, as they were in many other localities, in private dwellings, barns, and school-houses. As early as 1802-03 there appears to have been a Universalist Society in the town, but no records are now accessible. The town records show that on the 17th of June, 1800, it was voted "To choose a committee to stick a stake to set a meetinghouse," and to build a meeting-house by subscription. A committee of three, consisting of Ezra HOYT, Solomon BROWN, and Captain Matthew PHELPS, was appointed to make a plan of the church. At the next meeting it was voted to build a church 65 by 55 feet, "with a steeple or balcony." It was subsequently voted that every house in New Haven should be visited, to see if the inhabitants will agree "to set a meeting-house at Lanesborough street, or Beach Hill."

      The Congregational Church building at the village was erected as the result of this effort. It was handsomely repaired in 1876, and is the finest church in the county, and will seat 600 persons. A very elegant memorial window was erected in the rear of the pulpit by Mrs. Eliza MEACHAM and her sister, Mrs. Tolman WHEELER, of Chicago, in memory of their parents, Mr. And Mrs. Jonathan HOYT. Mrs. Betsey S. BIRD, of Waltham, gave at this time a very elegant set of furniture for the pulpit.

      A Congregational Church was organized at New Haven Mills November 15, 1797, and soon after another at New Haven village, both being united into one society September 29, 1800. The church was at that time under the charge of Rev. Nathaniel Gilbert, missionary from Massachusetts, and in 1802 Mr. GILLET, another missionary from Massachusetts, had charge. Soon after Rev. Silas L. Bingham was installed as the first pastor, and remained until 1808. Rev. Josiah HOPKINS, D.D., was ordained in 1809, and continued pastor until 1830. Rev. Joel FISK was installed October 20, 1830, and dismissed September 25, 1832. Rev. Enoch MEAD was ordained January 8, 1833, and remained about five years. Rev. James MEACHAM was ordained May 30, 1838, and was dismissed September 10, 1846. Rev. Samuel HURLBUT was ordained June 1, 1847, and died December 2, 1856. Rev. Calvin B. HULBERT, D.D., was ordained October 20, 1859, and dismissed November 19, 1869. Rev. Stephen KNOWLTON was installed September 2, 1873, and dismissed March 15, 1881. Rev. Clarence S. SARGENT was engaged as acting pastor from October 1, 1881, to January 18, 1883, when he was installed as pastor.

      The long pastorate of Dr. HOPKINS is evidence of the high esteem in which he was held. He was able in his pulpit, and courteous, urbane, and pleasing in his pastoral duties among his people. He did much to mould public opinion and elevate and give character to the tone of public sentiment. He educated several young men for the ministry during his pastorate. He was fond of his violin, and it is said could drop a "butt log" in the woods with his sharp axe quicker than any of his parishioners. He resided where H. C. CONANT now lives.

      James MEACHAM was an eloquent public speaker, and earnest and faithful in his work. He was born in Rutland August 10, 1810, and graduated at Middlebury College and at Andover; married for his first wife Caroline, daughter of Judge Elias BOTTUM, and for his second wife Mary F., daughter of Deacon Ira GIFFORD. In 1846 he was chosen professor in Middlebury College, and in 1849 elected to Congress, where he served seven years. He died August 23, 1856, having just been re-nominated.

      Rev. C. B. HULBERT, D.D., was a pastor of ability and much force of character. His sermons were studious, thoughtful, and conceived in the true Christian spirit. His kind and sympathetic manner gained him the esteem of the parish, and made him especially attractive to young people. After several years' service at Newark, N. J., and at Bennington, Vt., he was chosen president of Middlebury College, and served several years.

      The other pastors, so far as is known, were all men well fitted for their work.

      Mr. SARGENT, the present pastor, has endeared himself to the parish both by his public labor and his contact with the people. In January, 1886, a large revival took place, the result of his earnest and effective work. At the March communion forty-three united with the church--the largest number at one time since 1868. The church has now a membership of about three hundred, with a Sabbath-school of over one hundred. The pastor preaches at the Mills once a month. The church officers are as follows: Deacons, Julius, L. ELDREDGE, E. A. DOUD, Frank T. NASH, Hugh POTTER, and Henry R. BARROWS; clerk, E. A. DOUD; Sunday-school superintendent, Dr. E. F. PRESTON.

      The Baptists organized a church at an early day in the west part of the town, which flourished for some years under the ministrations of Elders HAYWARD and HURLBURT.

      About the beginning of the present century it is said that Lorenzo DOW and Samuel MITCHELL organized a Methodist society in the east part of the town, but it was not of long duration. A considerable portion of the inhabitants of the western part of the town yet attend the Methodist meetings in Weybridge.

      There has been for a great many years a camp-meeting held yearly (usually in August, for a week or ten days) at "Spring Grove," located two and one-half miles south from New Haven Depot, on the R. and B. Railroad, one-half mile west of Town Hill and one-half mile east of the turnpike. The New Haven Camp-meeting Association was incorporated by the Legislature of the State in 1868, and improvements are made yearly, as the society is financially prospering. 

      The denomination of Adventists built a small church at Brooksville just before the late war, but it has declined, and but few members now remain.

      The Universalist Society of New Haven ordained Caleb RICH as their pastor January 24, 1803. The society long ago ceased to exist.

      New Haven Temperance Society.--Prior to 1830 it will be observed that several distilleries for the manufacturing of spirituous liquors had been erected in town. Merchants sold liquors over their counters with the same freedom that they did other goods, in conformity with a usage which had come down to them from a former generation. In December, 1831, the temperance agitation had assumed such proportions that the New Haven Temperance Society was organized, containing two hundred and fifty members and including many of the leading citizens of the town. Large accessions to its ranks were afterward secured. Hon. Elias BOTTUM was the first president. Meetings were held weekly in the different school-houses, alternating from one to another, when animated discussions were held relating to the temperance question. Speakers were appointed in advance who were to address these weekly meetings. Prominent among them are the names of Dr. E. D. WARNER, Deacon Ira GIFFORD, Lemuel B. ELDREDGE, Martin COWLES, J. W. LANGDON, Sylvester DOUD, Calvin SQUIER, and Elias BOTTUM. In 1833 the scope of the discussions was enlarged, so as to include other topics relating to morals or literature. The society requested the merchants to abandon the traffic in ardent spirits. The meetings were kept up with great regularity for about six years, until finally they became annual, the last recorded being held in 1854, when Deacon Calvin SQUIER was elected president and E. S. BOTTUM secretary. The society was reorganized in 1858 and continued till 1862. This society exercised a large influence upon the public sentiment of the town.

      Lanesboro Stock Farm.--This farm is owned by William H. PARTCH, who also keeps the hotel at New Haven village. Mr. PARTCH has made it his chief business for a number of years to breed horses of excellent blood, chiefly of the Cassius Clay stock. He is now the owner of the celebrated "Clay Jones," bred by Peter W. JONES, of Amherst, N. H., which was sired by Cassius M. Clay, and several other scarcely less prominent horses of this blood. Mr. PARTCH has at this writing thirteen horses on his farm, all of which are of exceptional qualities, and enjoys the reputation of having done as much for the improvement of horses as any man in Addison county. He also has about twenty head of Jersey cattle. His farm embraces one hundred and forty-six acres.


      On the corner now occupied by C. F. SQUIER as a merchant Samuel BUCK was in trade, the first merchant in town, occupying what is now the rear part of the store. C. T. BINGHAM afterward carried on business there. The building was erected by Wait SQUIER for a dwelling- house and store in its present condition, about 1830. Bingham was succeeded by BATES & LIVERMORE (A. C. BATES and Ray F. LIVERMORE); they were followed by E. W. BIRD and D. C. HALL, as the firm of BIRD & HALL. L. W. POLLARD next kept the store, and was succeeded by W. M. PARTCH. He was followed by F. W. NASH, and he by CHAPIN & SQUIER in 1882. CHAPIN retired in the spring of 1885.

      In early years a small store was kept between the academy and Mrs. MEACHAM's residence, called the "Red store," built by E. H. LANDON, and where he traded two years, and was followed by Timothy SMITH, of Monkton.

      Ira and Noble STEWART came to New Haven about 1810, and lived in the house built by Samuel BUCK, now occupied by Dr. E. D. HALL. They built the store known as the "Roscoe store," and remained in trade about seven years, removing to Middlebury, where Ira STEWART was for a long time a leading merchant, and became one of the prominent citizens of the county. Horace SANFORD succeeded the STEWARTs and remained two years. Rodman CHAPMAN, in 1819, was his successor and remained ten years. Mr. CHAPMAN was a very prominent business man during this period. He dealt very extensively in cattle, produce, etc., for Boston and other markets. He had a distillery on the New Haven Gore, and built the large brick house in the village, now owned by G. W. BARTON, at a cost of about $7,000. CHAPMAN was succeeded by MCPHERSON & FILLMORE, who remained about four years, and were followed by Alfred P. ROSCOE and Hubbard COOK, who were partners about three years when COOK retired, and ROSCOE was associated for several years with William P. NASH, the partnership terminating in 1843. Mr. ROSCOE continued the business alone until 1857, when he retired, and A. M. Roscoe and Ovette WASHBURN were in trade together two years. WASHBURN then died, and A. P. ROSCOE RESUMED business with his son under the firm name of A. P. ROSCOE & Son, and continued up to 1869, when he retired, and A. M. and H. C. Roscoe, as "Roscoe Brothers," continued until 1877. NASH & LEAVENWORTH then bought the store and goods, and remained two years, when A. M. ROSCOE bought out NASH and was in partnership with LEAVENWORTH two years, when LEAVENWORTH retired. From that time until his death, February 8, 1885, A. M. ROSCOE CONTINUED the business alone. His administrator, H. C. ROSCOE, managed the store for the estate, until January, 1886, when he purchased the goods in the store, and is managing it on his own behalf. 

      The present officers of this town are as follows: Selectmen, S. S. WRIGHT, D. H. SQUIER, F. T. Nash; clerk, Edward S. DANA; treasurer, E. A. DOUD; constable and collector, John A. CADWELL; overseer of the poor, John A. Cadwell; listers, M. J. LANDON, G. W. FLINT, L. RICHARDS; auditors, E. S. DANA, E. A. LANDON, Frank C. Eastman; trustees of public money, E. A. DOUD, William P. NASH; fence viewers, D. W.  NASH, J. A. CADWELL, George F. WASHBURN; grand jurors, H. P. PALMER, S. B. M. COWLES, C. W. MASON; town agent, H. P. PALMER; superintendent of schools, Dr. E. F. PRESTON 

      The following figures show the population of this town at the various periods named: 1791, 723; 1800, 1,135; 1810, 1,688; 1820, 1,566; 1830, 1,834; 1840, 1,503; 1850, 1,663; 1860, 1,419; 1870, 1,355; 1880, 1,355.

Chapter XXVII, pages 522-555.
History of the Town of New Haven.
"History of Addison County, Vermont, 
With Illustrations And Biographical Sketches
of Some Of Its Prominent Men and Pioneers." 
Edited by H. P. Smith. Syracuse, N. Y.;
D. Mason & Co., Publishers, 1886.

Transcribed by Jan Maloy, 2002

See the List's Look-Up Page for look-up offers concerning this town.