ROBINSON, CHARLES ADAMS, son of Amos C. and Eliza (Adams) Robinson, was born in Barton, Vermont in 1845. 

       A. C. Robinson was a pioneer in securing the extension of the Passumpsic railroad from St. Johnsbury to Newport. He built the large depot store occupied by Tower Brothers and in company with General E. B. Chase, of Lyndon, was there extensively engaged in trade many years. 

       He was an energetic and public-spirited citizen, a Democrat in politics and as such represented Barton in the legislature in 1837. 

       Charles was the third son of a family of nine children and was his father's efficient assistant in his mercantile business during his youth and early manhood. 

       Later he was in trade with his father and also with a younger brother a few years. In March, 1882, he removed to St. Johnsbury. In 1868 he became an agent for the United States and Canada Express Co. and continued in their employ until the consolidation with the American Express Co., whose agent he then became, and still fills that position at St. Johnsbury. Last January rounded out thirty-five years of continuous service, the longest of any express agent on the Passumpsic division. 

       The local business has doubled in amount since Mr. Robinson came to St. Johnsbury and three assistants are constantly employed. He has formed a wide circle of acquaintances and friends and is recognized as an efficient and reliable official and genial citizen. 

       Mr. Robinson married Emily J. E Haskell of Barton, January 1st, 1868, and their only son, Charles H. Robinson, is clerk in the express office. Mrs. Robinson died in March, 1897. Mr. Robinson married Mrs. Anne E. McCracken of St. Johnsbury in September, 1900. 

Source:  Successful Vermonters, William H. Jeffrey, E. Burke, Vermont, The Historical Publishing Company, 1904, page 113-114.

Prepared by Tom Dunn, September 2005.