Henry Ingle

Revolutionary Pension Applications of Henry Ingle

Law Order Book 6, Page 50
July 8, 1818

Henry Ingles who resides in this county wishing to become a pensioner pursuant to the law of Congress of the 18th of March last, entitled "An Act to provide for certain persons engaged in the land and naval service of the United States in the revolutionary war" personally appeared in Court and declared on oath that he enlisted with Cat. William Perkins in Buckingham County, Virginia, and afterwards served under Capt. John Caldwell in the Regiment commanded by Colo. Burleigh as a ergular soldier and served eighteen months; that he was marched from Buckingham to Portsmouth and Norfolk, from thence he was marched to North Carolina where he was present at the battle of Guilford. He was thence marched to Ram Lowards Mill and there discharged. He declared that he is in indigent circumstances; whereupon, and from the evidence of other persons the Court are satisfied that the said Henry Ingles served in the revolutionary War as a soldier against the common enemy, which is ordered to be certified to the Secretary of the Department of War.

Law Order Book 9, Page 428
January 8, 1833

State of Virginia, Russell County, ss:
On this 8th day of January, 1833, personally appeared before the County Court of Russell County, Henry Ingle, a resident of the said County of Russell and State of Virginia, aged about seventy three years of age, who being first duly sworn according to law, doth on his oath make the following declaration in order to obtain the benefit of the provisions made by the Act of Congress passed June 7, 1832. That he enlisted in the Army of the United States in the same year of the battle of Guilford Court House in the State of Norrth Carolina, with Captain William Perkins in the 7th Regiment of the Virginia line he thinks commanded by Col. Taylor, as well as he now remembers. That at the time he entered the service of the United States first as aforesaid he resided in Buckingham County in the State of Virginia, and marched with his said company alone, from Buckingham Courthouse to Prince Edward Courthouse in the same state, at which place, his said company being then small was attached to a company commanded by Capt. John Caldwell, and remained at that place recruiting for two or three weeks, and was then marched from thence to North Carolina, and joined the army under the command of General Green some weeks before the battle of Guilford Court House. That he was in that engagement which commenced a short distance from the Guilford Courthouse in the evening. That in that engagement he belonged to the reggiment commanded by Col. Green. That in the evening after a very obstinate and bloddy conflict General Green, ordered a retreat, and his Army together with the said Ingle, marched out to an old Iron Works and returned the next day to Guilford Courthouse, and found that Cornwallis had buried his dead in a careless manner and left the ground. That General Green remained there till our dead were buried, and then renewed his march in pursuit of Cornwallis, who had marrched in the direction of Cross Creek whither they pursued him until they arrived at Ramsowers Mill where General Greens Army remained about thirteen days and whilst there hung two tories at which time the term of enlistment of the Virginia troops expired, and the said Henry Ingle and his fellow soldiers were discharged and were guarded against the tories by a company sent by General Green for that purpose until they crossed the Dan River when the said guard returned to the army under General Green, and the said Henry Ingle returned home to Buckingham County aforesaid. That he remained at home until the year in which the celebrated battle, he was drafted as a militia man under Captain Burley and marched down to prevent the futher progress of Cornwallis' forces up the Country from the vicinity of Little York, and that his said company was placed under the command of General De. Marquis, and continued as a scouting party to cut off and prevent any reinforcements by land to Cornwallis, and continued in that service for two months, the time for which he was drafted expired, and he the said Henry Ingle then substituted for one of his neighbors from Buckingham County and continued in the service as a substitute for two months longer, during which time he was in no engagement, and after the expiration of that tour he was discharged and returned home to Buckingham County. That his discharges have since been either lost or mislaid so that he cannot now produce them, but served in all in the War of the Revolution fully twenty two months. That he does not now know of any person living by whom he can prove his services except in part, he thinks he can prove by Thomas Lovelady, that was in General Green's Army at the time of the battle of Guilford Courthouse. He hereby relinquishes every claim whatever to a pension or an annuity except the resent; and he declares that his name is not on the pension roll of any agency in any State. Sworn to and subscribed the day and year aforesaid.

Henry X Ingle

State Territory or District of the County of Russell and State of Virginia:

On this 2nd day of February 1835 personally appeared Henry Ingle, Senior, before me a Resident Justice of the Peace in and for the County and State afore said the aged Henry Ingle being 73 years of age last August now past who being first duly sworn according to law doath in his oath make the following declaration in order to obtain the benefits of the provisions made by the Act of Congress passed June the 7th, 1832. He states that he was Drafted in Buckingham County State of Virginia and entered the service of the United States in the year 1782 in the 7th Regiment of the Militia and served under the following named officers to wit under General Nathaniel Green, Colonial Green, Captain John Culwell, we marched from Buckingham County Court House via to the Marbin Hill there were stationed and served 2 months, got a discharge and returned to Buckingham City. There I substituted for one John Benny and served 2 months. He states he again substituted for one Mr. Ford who ___ he has forgotten and served 2 months, got a discharge in each case, but in consequence of Old Age and the subsequent loss of memory he does not recall who assigned them nor he cannot precisely recollect the time he left the service, but states he rendered the six months service and in the time of said service was not engaged in any other business whatever only that of the United States and he therefore claims a pension for such service.

He states that he was then, again, enlisted in 1780 by William Perkins, Captain for 18 months in the Continental Troops in the service of the United States under the aforesaid officers with a ____ of Major Hawkins and adjuant Burten. We were marched from Buckingham County in the year 1780 to Prince Edward Courthouse, there were stationed 2 weeks, there to Guilford Courthouse through the Marian Town North Carolina joined the main Army then down to the low lands there we were stationed apart of our time and apart of the time marching, then we marcht near Guilford and stationed 2 weeks preparing for Battle, to the best of his recollection it wan on the 15th day of March in the year 1781. The Battle at Guilford commeet between 12 and 1 o'clock in the evening. Our Army were plact along behind a fence near a creek when the British marcht up to wards us we fird upon them and there was a dreadful slaughter indeed. He state that he is certain he could have walked for one hundred yards upon dead men and not have touched the ground. The British retreeted and reinforst and came again, we fought am until about one hour by sun set when we recd orders for every man to shift for himself an our retreet we went about 3 quarters of a mile crost a creek an got into a lane, we turned ant ____and crost the creek, got into a thicket, we had not been there but a little while until we spied the British Light Horse coming through the lane full speed when they got within about 40 yards we stepped out in the open place and fired upon them and there was a dreadful slaughter again of Light Horsemen.

Shortly after the aforesaid Battle, we marcht to the Iron works, an Troublesam, then to Ra__ Sandersous Mill and Rockey River, North Carolina, and there ended his 18 months service and got a Discharge form under the hand of Colonel Green and that with the others is lost or milaid so he can not see what became of them. Left the service in the last days of July or about the first August in the year 1781 and for such service he claims a pension. He states that the hard laborous servitude and sufferings which he under went in the defence of his Country has now, in his old age, rendered him unfit to maintain him self by his own labour and he has not where with all provided for him self a suitable substance in this life. Only that derived by the Act of Congress passed June the 7th 1832 and hops that this will be rec'd by the Commissioner of Pension as a proof of his service and a compensation here for and he here by relinquishes every claim whatever to a Pension or annuity except the present and he declares that his name is not on the Pension Roll of any agency in any State or if any on that of the State of Virginia.

Henry Ingle, Sr

Sworn to and subscribed the day and year aforesaid

and I George Gose do here by Declare my opinion that the above named applicant was a Revolutionary Soldier and served as he states.

George Gose

This file was submitted by Michael A. Dye.
[an error occurred while processing this directive] visitor since August 1, 1998
Back to Russell County Revolutionary Pensioners