WRITERS AND PRINTERS: BOOKS AND PERIODICALS.
Beahm, Isaac N. H.: Born near Good’s Mill, May 14, 1859; educator, traveler, and lecturer; writer on various educational and social topics; address, Trevilians, Va.
Bowman, Peter: Located in Rockingham about 1785; in 1817 published (Laurentz Wartmann, Harrisonburg, printer) a book entitled “Ein Zeugniss von der Taufe.”
Braun, Johannes: From 1800 to 1850 a leader of the German Reformed Church in Rockingham; in 1818 he published (Laurentz Wartmann, Harrisonburg, printer) a 16mo book of 419 pages, entitled “Circular-Schreiben an die Deutschen Einwohner von Rockingham und Augusta, und den benachbarten Counties: Erster Band.” In 1830 Wartmann printed from him “Eine kurze Unterweisung Christlichen Religion,” etc., a 16mo book of 72 pages.
Brown, T. H. B.: Born in Albemarle County, VA., Sept. 25, 1835; died at his home in Bridgewater, Aug. 12, 1900; a resident of Rockingham from 1859 or 1860; a physician, a skilled journalist (“N. W. Orb”), and a contributor for many years to the Rockingham Register and different metropolitan papers.
Bryan, Daniel: Born in Rockingham about 1795, son of Maj. William Bryan; brother of Allan C. Bryan; named after Daniel Boone; graduated from Washington College (now W. & Lee Univeristy) 1807; merchant, lawyer, poet; colonel in War of 1812; postmaster at Alexandria many years; died in Washington City, December 1866; author:
1813 – “The Mountain Muse” (16mo, 252 pp.); printed at Harrisonburg, by Davidson & Bourne.
____ __ “Lay of Gratitude” (greeting to Lafayette).
1826 – “Appeal for Suffering Genius.”
1830 – “Thoughts.”
____ __ “Education,” etc. (1)
“The Mountain Muse,” dealing in heroic verse with the adventures of Daniel Boone, was sold in no less than nine or ten States outside of Virginia. Considering the difficulties of travel, transportation, and communication in those days, we cannot help wondering how Mr. Bryan secured such a wide circulation for his little book. The matter may be explained in some measure, no doubt, by the fact that the number of books put upon the market then was small in comparison with the number that are bidding now in sharp competition for the reader’s notice. In one copy of “The Mountain Muse” that the writer has seen, and in only one, is printed the list of the subscribers’ names. They total about 1350, and belonged for the most part, to the people of Virginia: eastern Virginia as well as the Valley. About 150 belonged to residents of Tennessee; about100 to residents of Ohio; while the remainder were distributed among Pennsylvania, Maryland, New York, South Carolina, North Carolina, Connecticut, Louisiana, and Mississippi Territory.
Hon. Chas. Page Bryan, ambassador to Japan, is a grandson of Daniel Bryan.
Bryan, Mrs. Emma Lyon: Native of Richmond; a resident of Harrisonburg since her marriage in 1864 to Pendleton Bryan (son of Allan C. Bryan); artist, composer, author:
1879 – “My Sunflower’s Fan” (illustrated by herself; published in St. Nicholas, December).
1892 – “A romance of the Valley of Virginia”(a story of the war of 1860-5; 12mo, 228 pp.; printed on Confederate paper).
1867 – “Harrisonburg, Looking Eastward.”
(1) References: Washington and Lee Catalogue of Alumni, p. 59; Painter’s Poets of Virginia, pp. 57-59; Rockingham Register, Jan 3, 1867, and May 7, 1868.
1886 – “Sunrise at Lover’s Leap.”
1886 – “Where Ashby Fell” (original owned by Miss Lucy Shacklett, Harrisonburg; copies in the Confederate Museum at Richmond, and elsewhere).
Burkholder, Newton M.: Born at Fort Lynne, near Greenmount, Jan. 17, 1844; son of John Burkholder; was a C. S. A. soldier, and a telegraphy operator at Harrisonburg from Jan. 1, 1863, till the close of the war; graduated in dentistry (1867) from the Balt. College of Dent. Surgery; in 1865 married Miss Ella Moore, who died in 1897; in 1899 married Miss Cornelia Switzer who survives him; he died Dec. 8, 1900, at Harrisonburg; was a frequent contributor to the Rockingham Register, the Central Presbyterian (Richmond), etc.; in 1899-1900 he wrote a series of articles for the Richmond Dispatch, on episodes of the war.
Burkholder, Peter: Long a resident of Rockingham; in 1816 he published a treatise on water-baptism, etc., comprising 60 16mo pages, which was printed in Harrisonburg by Laurentz Wartmann; was the author of “Nine Reflections,” published in English by Joseph Funk in 1837.
Byerly, Frank Aubrey: A native of Rockingham, and many years a teacher in the county, now in West Virginia; published in 1910 “Hints, Helps, Devices, and Suggestions for School Work” (16mo, 32 pp). Has been a frequent contributor to the Rockingham Register and other periodicals on educational topics.
Chrisman, George: Born in Rockingham, June 2, 1832; son of Geo. H. and Martha Herring Chrisman; captain of “Chrisman’s Infantry” (1861) and the “Boy Company” of cavalry (1864); married Lucy Gilmer Grattan, Nov. 13, 1867; for many years a writer on farming and stock raising.
Cline, Justus H.: Born near Timberville, Oct. 14, 1875; minister, teacher, and author:
1905 – “Some Benefactors of Bridgewater College.”
1912 – “Geological Features of Rockingham County” (see pp. 21-31 above).
1912 – “Dikes of the Shenandoah Valley” (in preparation with Dr. Thos. L. Watson).
Address, Stuart’s Draft, Va.
Compton, Geo. F.: Long a resident of Harrisonburg, now living in Charlottesville; wrote 27 articles on the early history of Rockingham County, published, 1885, in the Rockingham Register.
Conn, Miss Ruth Randolph: Born at McGaheysville, 1893; author of “Swords and Roses” (story), “The Making of the Flowers,” “October Woods,” “A Blink o’ Rest” (poems); etc.; a contributor to this book (page 32).
Conrad, Miss Mary Lynn: A native of Rockingham, and a resident of Harrisonburg; author of “Confederate Banners” (12mo, 20 pp., illust.).
Converse, Henry Augustus: Born in Philadelphia, May 8, 1839; died Dec. 5, 1880, in Harrisonburg, where he had lived from January, 1879, and where he compiled his valuable work for the members of his profession: “Indexes to the Virginia and West Virginia Reports” (8vo, 381 pp.; Richmond, 1881).
Cox, S. K.: Born in Baltimore, July 16, 1823; died in Harrisonburg, Nov. 27, 1909; clergyman, journalist, poet. Dr. Cox came in 1888 to Harrisonburg, where he had his home the remainder of his life. In 1892 he married Miss Bryan Moffett, who survives him. For a number of years he was associate editor of the Baltimore and Richmond Christian Advocate; he wrote much in prose and verse, of high merit.
Daingerfield, Foxhall A.: Born in Rockingham, Feb. 8, 1839; married Nettie Gray, Nov. 4, 1863; lawyer, soldier, writer; contributor to agricultural papers, specially; residence, Castleton, Lexington, Ky.
Daingerfield, Mrs. Nettie Gray: Born in Harrisonburg, daughter of Col. A. S. Gray; wife of Capt. F. A. Daingerfield; address, Castleton, Lexington, Ky.; author:
1903 – “That Dear Old Sword” (12mo, 99 pp.).
1906 – “Our Mammy” (8vo, 143 pp.)
1909 – “Frescati” (12 mo. 71 pp.).
Early, Henry C.: Born in Augusta County, Va., May 11, 1855; for many years a resident of Rockingham. Long a
contributor to, and recently an editor of, the Gospel Messenger, he writes with force and grace. He is the author of Chapter 5 in “Two Centuries” (8vo. 398 pp.; Elgin, Ill., 1808).
Flory, J. S.: Born in Rockingham, March 28, 1836; in 1881 was editor of the Home Mirror, Longmont, Colo., in 1883, of the Longmont Press; the latter year he contributed a series of letters to the Rockingham Register on “Western Ramblins”; author:
____ __ “Echoes from the Wild Frontier.”
1897 – “Mind Mysteries” (12mo, 221 pp.).
Flory, John S.: Born in Rockingham in 1866; Ph.D. of the University of Virginia, 1907; now president of Bridgewater College; author of:
1903 – “The Turleytown Blockhouse” (in U. Va. Mag., Feb.).
1903 – “Gray’s Relation to His Time” (in U. Va. Mag., Oct.
1904 – “The First University Planned for America” (in Southern History Magazine, Washington, Jan.).
1904 – “John Wilson as an Essayist” (in Sewanee Review, Oct.).
1906 – “The German Folksong” (in Sewanee Review, Jan.).
1908 – “Literary Activity of the Brethren in the 18th Century” (12mo, 347 pp.).
1908 – “Our Present Educational Activity” (pp. 331-339 of “Two Centuries,” Brethren Pub. House, Elgin, Ill.).
1911 – “The Junior and Senior Years of the College Course” (in the Inglenook, August).
Funk, Benjamin: Born at Singer’s Glen, Dec. 29, 1829; died in 1909; compiled “Life and Labors of Elder John Kline,” an octavo volume of 480 pages, published at Elgin, Ill., in 1900.
Funk, Joseph: Born in Berks County, Pa., March 9, 1777; died at his home in Singer’s Glen, Dec. 24, 1862; teacher, author, translator, compiler, and publisher. His printing establishment, opened at Mountain Valley (Singer’s
Glen) in 1847, is said to have been the first Mennonite printing house in America; this was kept up by himself and his sons till 1863, and then by his sons till 1878. The Ruebush-Kieffer press, established at Dayton in 1878, continues his work into the present. More concerning him is given in this chapter, in the list of Rockingham periodicals, and in Chapter 18, under the head of Rockingham singers; following is a list of his more important writings, compilations, etc.:
1816 (traditional date) – A collection of hymns, in German, set to music, entitled “Choral-Music”; 88 pages; printed at Harrisonburg by Laurentz Wartmann. (2)
1832 – First edition of “Genuine Church Music,” 208 pages; later called “Harmonia Sacra,” the last (17th) edition appearing after 1870. The first two editions were printed at Winchester; the third at Harrisonburg (1842), by Wartmann & Way; the rest, beginning with the 4th in 1847, at Singer’s Glen.
1837 – “Mennonite Confession of Faith,” with Burkholder’s “Nine Reflections” (12mo, 460 pp.); a translation from the German; including a historical introduction, written by himself.
1857 – “The Reviewer Reviewed”; a work in controversial theology, directed against Eld. John Kline’s “Review” of Eld. Henry Funk’s “Treatise on Baptism”; 16mo, 309 pages; printed by Joseph Funk & Sons, at Mountain Valley.
Funkhouser, Jacob: Born in Rockingham about 1833; died July, 1903; compiled and published (Harrisonburg, 1902) “A Historical Sketch of the Funkhouser Family” (8vo, 100 pp.).
Garber, Jacob A.: Born near Mt. Crawford, Jan. 25, 1879; residence, Timberville; occasional writer of prose and verse; formerly editor of Emerson College Magazine, etc.
Garber, W. A.: Minister, lecturer, writer; among other things, has published “The Passion Play Graft” (12 mo, 64 pp.: 1911); address, Dayton, Va.
(2) Mr. Noah Blosser, Dale Enterprise, has kindly loaned a copy of this book. It bears no date, but Mr. John Funk, a son of the compiler, says it was published in 1816.
Grattan, Geo. G.: Born in Rockingham, February 12, 1839; lawyer and soldier; judge of the Rockingham County Court, 1885-1904; brother of Charles and nephew of P. R. Grattan; published in 1912 “The Battle of Boonsboro Gap” (8vo, 12 pp., illust.); address, Harrisonburg.
Grattan, Peachy R.: Born in Rockingham, 1801; died near Richmond, 1881; famous in Virginia history as a statesman and as the compiler of Grattan’s Reports.
Hall, J. H.: A native of Rockingham, and a resident of Dayton; compiler of “Golden Thoughts and Memoirs” (16mo, 125 pp.) published in 1905 by the Ruebush-Kieffer Company, Dayton; has in preparation a history of popular Gospel songs.
- See Chapter 18, for additional facts of biography.
Harrison, Gessner: Born in Harrisonburg, June 26, 1807; died near Charlottesville, April 7, 1862; physician, educator, and author:
1848 – “On Greek Prepositions.”
1852 – “Exposition of Some of the Laws of Latin Grammar.”
Hays, Daniel: Born in Hampshire County, Va., now W. Va., May 16, 1839; for many years past a resident of Rockingham; postoffice, Broadway. Eld. Hays has long been recognized as one of the best writers in the Church of the Brethren, and has been a frequent contributor to the church papers, especially the Gospel Messenger. In 1908 he contributed chapter 8 to “Two Centuries,” a volume of church history; the year before (1907) he, with Eld. S. F. Sanger, published “The Olive Branch” (12mo, 232 pp.); and he now has ready for the press “A Silver Thread of History in a Golden Cord of Doctrine.”
Hays, Heber M.: Born in Shenandoah Co., Va., May 7, 1876; long a resident of Rockingham; PH.D., Univ. of Chicago, 1912; member of the faculty, Univ. of Missouri; teacher and author:
1908 – “On the German Dialect Spoken in the Valley of Virginia” (in Dialect Notes, Vol. 3).
1910 (?) – A genealogy of the John Myers Family (in Penn-Germania).
1912 – An edition of Hesiod’s Works and Days, with introduction, explanatory notes, etc., comprising about 200 pages
Heatwole, Cornelius J.: Born at Dale Enterprise, Oct. 20, 1868; teacher and educator; published “History of the Heatwole family” (8vo, 274 pp.), in 1907; a special contributor to this volume (see Chapter 21).
Heatwole, D. A.: Published a history of the Heatwole family (16mo, 24 pp.), in 1882. – See note 7, page 224.
Heatwole, Lewis H.: Born at Dale Enterprise, Dec. 4, 1852, eldest son of D. A. Heatwole (p. 224); teacher, pastor, astronomer, author; has been a volunteer weather observer for 30 years; makes calculations annually for a large number of almanacs, etc., in the United States and Canada; is a frequent contributor to periodicals; he has published the following books:
1907 – “Moral Training in the Public Schools” (12mo, 109 pages).
1908 – “Key to the Almanac” (12mo, 238 pp.).
1910 – “A History of the Mennonite Conference of Virginia” (8vo, 117 pp.). – The last with C. H. Brunk and Christian Good.
At present Bishop Heatwole is perfecting the “Perpetual Calendar,” which has already attracted wide attention because of its simplicity, accuracy, and convenience, and which may become epoch-making in the annals of time.
Hoenshel, Elmer U.: Home address, Dayton, Va.; several years principal of Shenandoah Collegiate Institute; traveler, lecturer, and author:
1909 – “My Three Days in Gilead” (16mo, 85 pp.).
1910 – “By the Overflowing Nile” (16mo, 133 pp.).
1912 – “The Crimson Trail” (12mo, 141 pp.).
Hoenshel, George W.: Born in Pennsylvania, 1858; died at Reliance, Va., 1896; at Harrisonburg, 1887-1890; in 1888 published “Education of Girls.” In 1900 Mrs. Hoenshel published his “X-Talks and Other Addresses” (16mo, 149 pp.) at New Market, Va.
Hott, George P.: Residence, Dayton; clergyman, educa-
tor, author; a frequent contributor to magazines, and a writer of a number of excellent hymns; author of “Christ the Teacher” (12mo, 138 pp.), 1900.
Jeffries, Thomas Fayette: Known as “Crippled Fayette” and “Roaming Invalid.” His home was at or near Keezletown, but he spent most of his time traveling, selling his writings, showing stereoscopic views, etc. He was a frequent contributor of travel sketches (from many different States) to the Register, the Old Commonwealth, etc., during the 60’s and 70’s – perhaps during the 80’s also. He died in Georgia 15 or 20 years ago. He published at least two books:
1856 – “Nine Years in Bed” (16mo, 72 pp.); printed by Jos. Funk & Sons, Mountain Valley.
--- “Invalid’s Offering” (16mo, 150 pp.); date and place of publication not known.
These books contain interesting notes of travel.
Johnston, James C.: Educator and writer; residence, Harrisonburg; contributor to periodicals, and editor of classics for school use.
Kemper, Charles Edward: Born near Cross Keys, June 5, 1859, son of Edward S. and Susan Craig Kemper; graduated in law at Washington and Lee, 1882; practiced 10 years in Staunton; in 1893 appointed Assistant and Chief Clerk in the office of the Supervising Architect, U. S. Treasury dept.; in 1894 appointed chief of this office, holding the position till March, 1911, when he resigned on account of poor health; on July 16, 1912, re-entered the service, and, by special designation of the Secretary of the Treasury, placed on the Board of Award, to award all contracts for the construction of public buildings. During his service in the above department, Mr. Kemper has been directly connected with the erection of postoffices, courthouses, custom houses, and marine hospitals for the United States, costing in the aggregate more than $160,000,000; and served on the U. S. Boards of Management for the expositions held at Atlanta, Nashville, and Omaha. He was a contributor to Boogher’s “Gleanings of Virginia His-
tory” (Washington, 1903); and edited, with valuable notes, the following:
“The Record of Peaked Mountain Church” (William and Mary College Quarterly, Vol. 14). – See pages 61-63, above.
“Moravian Diaries of Travel through Virginia” (Virginia Magazine of History and Biography, Vols. 11 and 12). – See pages 45-51, above.
“The Early Westward Movement of Virginia” (Va. Mag., Vol. 13). – See pages 35, 36, above.
In addition, he has frequently written articles of special historical interest and value.
Kieffer, Aldine S. (1840-1904); musician and poet; published “Hours of Fancy, or Vigil and Vision” (16mo, 237 pp.) at Dayton in 1881. – See next chapter for a more extended sketch.
Kieffer, H. Prime: Born at Singer’s Glen, July 23, 1880, son of Rollin and Jennie Stinespring Kieffer; nephew of Aldine S.; educated in Lafayette, Indiana, high-school and Purdue University; contributor to leading magazines; traveled in Canal Zone and Europe as special correspondent for N. Y. papers; residence, New York.
Langhorne, Mrs. Orra Gray: Born in Harrisonburg, daughter of Col. A. S. Gray; lived in Lynchburg; wrote several small volumes, and was a contributor to high-class periodicals.
Lilly, Malcolm G.: Well known as a teacher at Clover Hill and other places in Rockingham; occasional writer of verse; has in preparation a volume on U. S. history and teaching devices.
Long, Isaac S.: Born near Port Republic, May 13, 1875; since 1903 a missionary in India; present address, Pimpalner; lecturer and writer on subjects relating to India.
Long, Mrs. Isaac S.: Born near Scott’s Ford, Rockingham County; since 1903 a missionary in India; writer on India, Babylonia, etc.
Mauzy, Richard: Born at McGaheysville, June 17, 1824, son of Col. Jos. Mauzy; editor and journalist; from 1860 to
1895 was owner and editor of the Staunton Spectator; in 1911 he published a history (8vo, 127 pp.) of the Mauzy and Kisling families (printed at Harrisonburg, bound at Dayton); he is a special contributor to this volume (see pp. 194, 195, etc). Present address, McGaheysville.
Myers, Weldon Thomas: Born at Broadway, Oct. 25, 1879; Ph. D., Univ. of Va.; occasional writer of prose and verse.
1905 – Two chapters in “Bridgewater College, Past and Present.”
1908 – “Aldine S. Kieffer, the Valley Poet, and His Work” (in Musical Million, August).
1909 – An article on Amelia B. Welby, in the “Library of Southern Literature.”
1912 – “The Relations of Latin and English as Living Languages in England during the Age of Milton.”
Neff, John H.; Born near Mt. Jackson, Va., 1842; married Miss Brownie Morrison, Nov. 1, 1883; died at Charlottesville, March 18, 1912; for many years a prominent physician of Harrisonburg and Virginia; wrote “Typhoid Fever,” published by Va. Med. Soc., 1893; “The Proper Mode and Place for Inflicting the Death Penalty,” published by Virginia Board of Health, 1901.
O’Ferrall, Chas. T. (See chapter XIX for sketch): Author of “Forty Years of Active Service,” a volume of 367 8vo pages, published by Neales in 1904.
Palmer, Olin Austin: Of Port Republic, printer and author:
1912 – “At the Mercy of Fate” (8vo, 210 pp.); a tale of the Shenandoah Valley; printed by Mr. Palmer at Port Republic.
1912 – “The Mystery of Chesney Hall”; in preparation.
Paul, Mrs. K. S.: Miss Katherine Green, of Front Poyal [sic], Va., married Hon. John Paul, of Rockingham, in 1872; compiled a list of about 500 Virginia writers in 1893 for the World’s Fair; was a member of the executive committee of
the board of lady commissioners; a writer of both prose and verse; address, Harrisonburg.
Price, Wm. T.: Clergyman, editor, and author; born near Marlinton, W.Va. (his present home), July 19, 1830; from 1869 to 1885 was a citizen of Rockingham – pastor at New Erection. During this period he published the Young Virginian (q. v.); he also took much interest in education (see page 302, above). He has contributed extensively to periodicals, and is author of:
“Memoirs of Rev. John Pinkerton” (pastor of Mossy Creek Church, Va.).
“Memoirs of Dr. J. H. Scott” (of Beverly, W. Va.).
“History of Pocahontas County.”
“Semicentennial History of Greenbrier Presbytery.”
“On to Grafton.” Etc.
Richcreek, W. A.: A resident of Bridgewater; for many years a contributor to the press, local and national.
Rohr, Will S.: Under pseudonym “Singlesticks” wrote “The Mountaineer,” a tale of the war, published as a continued story in 1866 in the Old Commonwealth; in 1868 was associate editor of the Southern Musical Advocate, in which he published “Wishtaneta,” a serial, founded on a legend of the Joe’s Creek Valley.
Roller, John Edwin: Born near Mt. Crawford, 1845, son of Peter S. and Frances Allebaugh Roller; graduate, Va. Military Institute, 1863; soldier, C. S. A.; member of Va. Senate, 1869-1873; appointed major-general of the 3d division of the Virginia militia, January, 1872; lawyer, lecturer, antiquarian. He has made a collection of rare books, manuscripts, etc., that cannot, perhaps, be duplicated in America. Among his published addresses are the following:
1900 – “The Reformed Church in Schlatter’s Day.”
1907 – Address before Neff-Rice Camp, U. C. V., New Market, Va.
1909 – Address of welcome, made at Harrisonburg before the annual conference of the Church of the Brethren.
See page 282 above.
Roller, Robt. Douglas: Born in Rockingham, near Mt. Crawford; received degree of D. D. from W. Va. University, 1894; now rector of St. John’s Episcopal Church, Charleston; has served in various honorable and responsible positions in the councils of the church; author:
“Richardson – De Priest Family” (8vo, 50 pp.); gave valuable assistance to Bishop Peterkin in the preparation of “A History and Record of the Protestant Episcopal Church in the Diocese of West Virginia” (8vo, 876 pp., 1902). Dr. Roller is a brother of Gen. John E. Roller, of Harrisonburg.
Salyards, Joseph (1808-1885): Scholar, teacher, philosopher, poet; writer of prose and verse; in 1874 his chief work, “Idothea; or, The Divine Image” (16 mo, 308 pp.), was published by Henkel, Calvert & Co., New Market. – See pages 288-292, above.
Showalter, William Joseph: Journalist and author; born near Dale Enterprise, July 10, 1878; present address, Washington City. For a number of years Mr. Showalter has been one of the best known syndicate writers of the national capital. His schooling as received at Bridgewater, Mt. Clinton, and other places in Rockingham, and his first experience in newspaper work in Harrisonburg. His great book, “The American Government” (1911), written for F. J. Haskin, is attracting unusual attention. His articles on the Panama Canal are regarded as among the best, if not the best, published. One appeared in the National Geographic Magazine for February, 1912. Mr. Showalter is now publishing a large volume on the Panama Canal. His reputation is becoming not only national, but international.
Snell, Walstein M.: Born in Harrisonburg, Oct. 7, 1888; business man and occasional author:
1911 – “The New Tutor” (played in Harrisonburg; sold to a New York firm).
1912 – “The Artist’s Model” (played in Harrisonburg).
1912 – “The Freshman’s Prestige” (in preparation).
Strayer, Joseph S.: Born in Rockingham, 1853; died near Port Republic, July 25, 1896; wrote much, and very well,
under the name of “Wyndham,” for the Rockingham Register.
Wartmann, Henry T.: Born in Harrisonburg, Nov. 8, 1823, the son of Laurentz Wartmann; after more than 50 years in the place of his nativity, he moved to Citra, Fla., in 1879, where he served as school trustee, tax collector of Marion County, etc.; he died in Citra, Febr. 27, 1905. At Harrisonburg he was associated with his brother, J. H. Wartmann, in the publication of the Rockingham Register. For twenty years (1861-1881), perhaps longer, he was a frequent contributor to the Register, under the pseudonym of “Jonathan Sykes of Zekelville.” A really fine wit was sharpened by a facile pen. His writings were a feature of the paper. More is given concerning him in Chapter 18.
Wenger, Joseph H.: Born near Edom, Nov. 15, 1835; now a resident of South English, Iowa; author:
1905 – “Descendants of Abraham Beery” (12mo, 328 pp.).
1911 – “Descendants of Nicholas Beery” (12mo, 496 pp.).
Winfield, Miss Paulina: Daughter of Capt. John Q. Winfield (p. 134); address, Broadway; author of:
“With Washington in the Valley of Virginia” (in Things and Thoughts, Winchester).
1909 – “On the Primrose Way” (in The People, Franklin, Pa., Jan.).
1909 – “The Incredulity of Ford’s John” (in Pictorial Review, N. Y., March).
1910 – “In Lieu of a Pig” (in Pictorial Review, October).
1912 – “When Boys Went Forth to Battle” (to appear in Adventure).
And other pieces in prose and verse.
Zigler, David H.: A native of Rockingham, and a resident of Broadway; published in 1908 “A History of the Brethren in Virginia” (12mo, 278 pp.).
Bocock, John Paul: Editor and poet, born at Harrisonburg, 1856, son of Rev. J. H. Bocock. Educated for law, but turned to letters; member of staff of Philadelphia Press, later of N. Y. World; contributed to leading magazines; died
1903. His wife issued his poems: “Book Treasures of Maecenas.”
From 1818 to 1820, etc., Ananias Davidson had a printing establishment in Harrisonburg. IN 1818 he printed a second edition of “The Mountaineer” (16mo, 240 pp.); in 1820 he printed the “Life and Labors of Rev. Benj. Abbott” (16 mo, 292 pp.), for James A. Dillworth; (3) and it is said that he was printing the “Kentucky Harmony” and other musical works about 1821.(4)
1822 – Rockingham Weekly Register – Harrisonburg; first issue, Saturday, July 27; 4 pages, each 10 ½ x 17 inches; Lawrence Wartmann, printer and publisher; Lawrence Wartmann was still the publisher in 1838; in 1841 Wartmann, Way, & Wartmann were the publishers. There were 86 subscribers at the start; in October, 1874, Jacob D. Williamson of Rockingham had been a subscriber 52 years, and was the only one of the original subscribers then living. In 1841 the size of the paper was 16 x 21. In 1833 the title was Rockingham Register; in 1842, Rockingham Register and Valley Advertiser; in 1860, Rockingham Register and Advertiser; in 1861 Rockingham Register and Virginia Advertiser; in 1862, Rockingham Register and Advertiser; in 1863, Rockingham Register.
In 1861 and 1864 it was asserted that the Register had a larger circulation than any other country paper in the State; in 1871 the number of subscribers was said to be over 2000. In December, 1864, the subscription price was $10; in March, 1865, $20.
In 1842 J. H. Wartmann was publisher; in 1844, J. H. Wartmann & Brothers; in 1854, J. H. Wartmann and Wm. G. Stevens; in 1863-4, J. H. Wartmann & Co.; in 1866-7, J. H.
(3) I am indebted to the kindness of Messrs. E. M. Whitesel and Q. G. Kaylor for a loan of the two books named.
(4) See Rockingham Register, Oct. 5, 1876.
Wartmann & S. M. Yost; in 1867-8, J. H. Wartmann, Hern & Co.; in January, 1868, Giles Devier entered the firm, succeeding Hern and Guiheen; in October, 1875, Giles Devier succeeded J. H. Wartmann & Co.; in 1878 Devier & Dechert were proprietors; in 1883, Devier and John P. Kerr; in 1890, Devier and A. H. Snyder; in 1900 Snyder became sole owner. Since 1903 the paper has been published by the News-Register Co. In 1895 the Register was said to be the fifth newspaper in Virginia in age.
About 1868 Maj. S. M. Yost was connected with the St. Louis Times. In 1897 J. Harvey Wartmann was living in St. Louis.
Adolph Heller Snyder, born in Woodstock, Oct. 22, 1863, died in Harrisonburg, January 18, 1910, shortly after his election to the Virginia House of Delegates. He was a gentleman journalist.
Giles Devier was born July 24, 1820, near Bridgewater, son of Allen Devier; he died at Harrisonburg, Sept. 3, 1906, one of the best known citizens of Rockingham.
Lawrence Wartmann, founder of the Register, had first worked at New Market with Ambrose Henkel – probably learned his trade there. He was established at Harrisonburg as early as 1813, since in that year he printed a book containing a sermon by Rev. A. B. Davidson.(5) In 1849 J. H. Wartmann & Bros. Printed a 16mo book of 476 pages, entitled “Sketches on a Tour Through the Northern and Eastern States, the Canadas & Nova Scotia,” by J. C. Myers, of New Hope, Va. Funks bound this book.
Mrs. Carr gives the following interesting account of the early Register:
The next building on the N. W. corner of the Main street was a large log house. The first newspaper in Harrisonburg was printed in this building, on the second floor in the S. end. The Editor, Mr. Wartman, was proprietor, printer, and everything else. I often went to look at him. He had a small folding press on a table in the middle of the room; in either hand he held a leather ball, which was used to ink the
(5) Rockingham Register, Feb. 22, 1901.
type. Then he placed the dampened paper on the type, and turning over the top of the press, screwed it down tight, until the impression was taken; removed the paper and went on this way until one side of the edition was finished; then he set the type for the other side of the paper, and proceeded in the same way until the whole edition was finished. On Saturday Harvey, his son, about ten years old, would deliver the papers to the subscribers: I do not think there were more than one hundred. New Years some one would write an address for Harvey to deliver to the subscribers, and receive a small amount of money from them. I have so often looked at the patient old man, going through his work so systematically, and thought it a very grand thing to be a newspaper publisher. If his spirit could visit a steam printing office and see the hundreds of thousands of papers turned out daily, it would make his hair stand on end.
1844 – The Republican – Harrisonburg; first issue about June 18; published every Tuesday morning by W. S. Ward; office, opposite Pollock’s Hotel, Main St. (from No. 6, Vol. I, July 23, 1844); 4 pages; in January, 1847, Maupin & Gilmer were publishers; seems to have been running in 1854.
1854 – Valley Democrat – Harrisonburg; in the Register of May 27, Samuel T. Walker and Samuel M. Sommers announce that they will remove the office of the Valley Democrat from New Market to Harrisonburg soon; in 1859 Walker & Bridegame were publishing the said paper at Harrisonburg.
Col. S. T. Walker was killed at Chancellorsville, May 3, 1863 (see p. 138).
1859 – The Southern Musical Advocate and Singer’s Friend – Mountain Valley (Singer’s Glen); monthly magazine; first issue, July; Joseph Funk & Sons, publishers; continued till March, 1861; resumed for a year or so in 1867; Aldine S. Kieffer and Wm. S. Rohr were editors in January, 1868.
The Funk printery and bindery were busy from the first. In 1848 “Sturm’s Reflections,” an octavo of 490 pages, bound in leather, was published. In 1850 was bound the second edition of Kercheval’s History of the Valley of Virginia. In 1853 “Dialogues of Devils” (Vol I, 16mo, 336 pp.) was given to the public by Andrew Hess and Henry A. Showalter, through the Funk press. The “Harmonia Sacra” had reached the 10th edition by 1860; in 1872 the firm brought out the 6th
edition of the Mennonite Hymn Book, partly in German. These random instances will indicate the scope and volume of the work done by the Funks as printers and binders.
1862 – The Stonewall – Harrisonburg; 4-page weekly; No. 4, Vol. I, was dated January 15, 1863; Saml. J. Price was editor and proprietor; it was not long continued; the editor, Mr. Price, was later in charge of the Page Valley Courier, Luray, Va.
1865 – The Old Commonwealth – Harrisonburg; 4-page weekly; first issued about Oct. 10; Cushen & Sheiry publishers and proprietors in October, 1866; in 1870 Capt. John Gatewood and Capt. Ran D. Cushen were editors; in the fall of 1871 W. H. Effinger and W. S. Lurty took the place of Gatewood, being associated with Cushen; about Jan. 1, 1872, Effinger became sole editor; from January to May, 1873, J. N. Liggett was editor; about May 1 (1873) Chas. H. Vanderford became owner and editor; Vanderford sold to J. K. Smith and P. B. Dulaney, May, 1878; Smith was still editor in November, 1883; in 1884 the paper was sold at public auction.(6)
1866 – The American Union – Harrisonburg; Geo. K. Gilmer, publisher; Smith & Gatewood reported proprietors in 1868.
Dr. Geo. K. Gilmer was appointed P. M. of Richmond in 1880.
1869 – The Musical Million – Dayton; monthly magazine, devoted to music and literature; published at Singer’s Glen, by Ruebush, Kieffer & Co., till 1878; then at Dayton; present editor, Joe K. Ruebush, of the Ruebush-Kieffer Co.; probably the oldest music journal in America. – Ephraim Ruebush, one of the original firm of Ruebush, Kieffer & Co., was born near Churchville, Augusta Co., Va., Sept. 26, 1833, the son of John and Mary Huffman Ruebush; he married at Singer’s Glen, March 28, 1861, Virginia Kieffer, a granddaughter of
(6) Thanks are due to Hon. Geo. E. Sipe for lending files of the Old Commonwealth.
Joseph Funk, and a sister of Aldine S. Kieffer, the poet. Mr. and Mrs. Ruebush have been living at Dayton since 1878. A sketch of Aldine Kieffer, another member of the firm named above, will be found in Chapter 18.
1869 – Harrisonburg Enterprise; 5-column, 4-page weekly; Gideon Sheiry, propr.; “Published every Friday morning …. Office in Paul’s Building, over C. F. Dutrow’s store.: - From No. 43, Vol. 4, Nov. 15, 1872. Last issue about Nov. 30, 1872. For some time, beginning about September 15, 1870, the Enterprise was semi-weekly, Geo. S. Null and John F. Sheiry being associated at different times with G. Sheiry; publication stopped a month by fire of Dec. 25, 1870.
“Rose Thornton,” a camp novelette, was published by Harry & Sheiry, Harrisonburg, in 1864.
1872 – The Lily of the Valley – Harrisonburg; a 32-page monthly magazine, historical, literary, agricultural; first issue, January; G. Sheiry & Co., publishers; still running in August.
1872 – The Rural Virginian – Harrisonburg; monthly; J. S. Trout, editor; Sheiry, publisher. May issue noticed in Register of May 10.
1874 – The Young Virginian – Mt. Clinton; 8-page monthly; first issue, January; editor W. T. Price; printed by Ruebush, Kieffer & Co., Singer’s Glen; published 3 years. – Contained numerous pieces of local interest, especially sketches of Presbyterian churches in northern Virginia.
1875 – The Ray of Hope – Harrisonburg; a semi-monthly, issued first Jan. 1; a temperance paper; S. J. Price and W. J. Points, editors.
1877 – The Faithful Word – Mt. Clinton; 8-page monthly; first issue, January; W. T. Price, editor; Ruebush, Kieffer & Co., Singer’s Glen, printers.
1878 – Spirit of the Valley – Harrisonburg; weekly; first issue in September; Daniel Dechert & Son, publishers; purchased by D. S. Lewis, 1886; converted into the Daily Times, 1905. – Daniel Sheffey Lewis was born at Lynnwood, Oct. 17, 1843; died at Clifton Forge, Oct. 3, 1912; lawyer and journal-
ist; son of Sen. John F. Lewis. – See page 127 above, and Chapter XIX, following.
1878 – The Bridgewater Enterprise; 4 pages; No. 1, Vol. I, Sept. 11; (7) E. Smith Dinkle propr.; Dr. T. H. B. Brown, editor; J. E. Braithwaite, asso. ed. and bus. mgr. In 1879 Lambert & Burwell ran the paper a short time, then John B. F. Armstrong succeeded, changing the name to the Journal, Sept. 4, 1879.(8)
1879 – TheStar [sic] – Bridgewater; “a diminutive though spicy sheet”; first issue, July 4; J. B. Burwell, publisher.
1879 – The Bridgewater Journal; succeeds Bridgewater Enterprise, Sept. 4; E. S. Dinkle, propr., J. B. F. Armstrong, editor. In September, 1880, Armstrong, who was a young lawyer, died; in October (1880) G. T. Barbee purchased the Journal, and published it till Nov. 30, 1883; then G. R. Berlin published it till Nov. 30, 1885.
1880 – Rockingham Advertiser – Bridgewater; semi-monthly; G. R. Berlin, publisher. Register announced receipt of first number, July 8.
1881 – The Valley Herald – Bridgewater; weekly; published during June, July, August, by G. R. Berlin.
1881 – The Pearl Press – Mt. Crawford; first issue, July; Pearl Press Pub. Co.
1881 – The Watchful Pilgrim – Dale Enterprise; a religious monthly; first issue, August; Abraham Blosser printer and publisher; 24 pages and cover till December; 16 pages from December (1881) till April, 1883; after this, 8 pages, twice a month; last number seen, Dec. 15, 1886. Abram Blosser did job printing, also; he had the press that was set up by Jos. Funk & Sons, at Mountain Valley, in 1847. His paper circulated in Virginia, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Indiana, Kansas, and Ontario.(9)
(7) Thanks are due Mr. Paul Miller, Bridgewater, for a loan of the above paper.
(8) Information by Mr. S. G. Dinkle, Bridgewater.
(9) Special acknowledgement is due Mr. Noah Blosser and Rev. L. J. Heatwole, Dale Enterprise, for lending files of the Watchful Pilgrim.
1882 – Virginia Post – Harrisonburg; published by R. B. and M. L. Robinson (colored); moved to Alexandria.
1883 – The People – Harrisonburg; 4-page weekly; first issue, Dec. 8; A. P. Funkhouser and C. I. B. Brane, editors; absorbed by the State Republican, 1886.
1884 – The Postal Card – Mt. Crawford; a semi-monthly, published by W. H. Foley; first issue in March.
1885 – Farm and Home – Harrisonburg; 8-page weekly; first issued in January; J. K. Smith, editor and propr.; sold to Thomas & Yancey, 1886 – Jos. K. Smith, who had also been associated with the Register, died at Winchester, Va., in February, 1905.
1885 – The Sentinel – Harrisonburg; H. M. Roudabush, editor; announced in September.
1886 – Our Monthly – Bridgewater; G. R. Berlin, publisher; issued 12 months.
1886 – The Independent – Port Republic; 48-column weekly newspaper, published by Holsinger & Bowman.
1886 – The State Republican – Harrisonburg; founded by A. P. Funkhouser; W. C. Elam, editor; 1891, Funkhouser & Snavely, publishers; 1893, leased to Hughes & Hinde; 1894, Funkhouser resumed management; in June, 1899, Saml. J. Price, editor, died; W. W. Roller (1856-1897) was sometime connected with the paper as associate editor, etc.
1887 – People’s Educational Quarterly – Dayton; published by Fries & Ruebush.
1888 – The Broadway Enterprise; first issued in January; E. D. Root was publisher in 1892 and 1893 – perhaps from the beginning; purchased in November, 1893, by I. C. Wade; discontinued, probably in December, 1894.
1890 – The Broadway News; Geo. L. Jameson and John S. Fravel, publishers; later Kline & Kline were publishers; discontinued in December, 1893 – sold to I. C. Wade, editor of the Broadway Enterprise.
1890 – Harrisonburg Progress; a monthly.
1891 – The Elkton Index; first issued in January; continued at least till June, 1892.
1891 – The Shendun News; first heard of in February, 1891; the first editor and manager, L. A. Frazier, was succeeded as editor by J. A. Phillips, October, 1891; in June, 1892, it was changed from a weekly to a semi-monthly; in December, 1892, Mr. Coles was editor; ordered discontinued by directors, March, 1893.
1891 – The Monthly Call – Bridgewater; 8-pages; started in April by Rev. A. R. Thompson.
1891 – Harrisonburg Free Press; weekly; H. B. Miller, publisher, succeeds Miller & Snavely March, 1897; W. I. Good was business manager in 1900; the Free Press was made a daily about March 20, 1904. It has not been published for several years past.
1893 – The Elkton News; ran at least from August, 1893, till January, 1894.
1894 – The Bridgewater Herald; first issue, Feb. 2; G. R. Berlin, publisher; last issue, Sept. 15, 1906. – Mr. Berlin is a skilled job printer, as well as a publisher.
1895 – The Evening Glance – Harrisonburg; 4-column afternoon daily; first issue, June 17; last, Jan. 8, 1896; Weishampel & Hinde, publishers.
1895 – The Virginia Echo – Broadway; W. Grim, editor.
1896 – Philomathean Monthly – Bridgewater; first issue, May; published by the literary societies of Bridgewater College; issued every month the first three years, 8 or 9 times a year since 1899.
1896 – The Broadway Echo; Mr. Grim, publisher.
1898 – Harrisonburg Daily News; founded by R. B. Smythe, the present manager; first called the Evening News; editor, 1903-10, A. H. Snyder; editor, 1910-11, James C. Johnston; present editor, J. H. Robertson.
1898 – Our Assistant – Mt. Crawford; 4-page monthly; Rev. A. D. Wolfinger, publisher; ran at least till May, 1899.
1898 – The Illuminator – Dayton; 8-page quarterly, edited by E. U. Hoenshel and E. T. Hildebrand.
1899 – College Life – Bridgewater; educational quarterly; published by the faculty of Bridgewater College.
1905 – Harrisonburg Daily Times; founded by D. S. Lewis; present publishers, Rickard & Voorhees; editor, D. S. Lewis, Jr.
1906 – Old Dominion Home – Dayton; published for a few months by Taylor & Kieffer.
1907 – The National Poultry Journal – Harrisonburg; monthly; founded about 1907, by C. O. Henton; continued till 1911, E. V. Crist, R. B. Smythe, R. C. Hughes, and Chas. Turner having successive parts in the enterprise; office of issue, Elkton.
1909 – Our Mountain Work – Elkton; 4-page monthly; F. W. Neve and J. R. Ellis, publishers; in fall of 1911 moved to Charlottesville.
1911 – The Sunday-School News – Elkton; G. M. Keezel, publisher.
1911 – Rockingham Daily Record – Harrisonburg; H. W. Bertram and C. C. Herring, editors; Geo. W. Berry, business manager.