Dickenson County, Virginia was formed in 1880 from Buchanan,
Russell, and Wise Counties. It was named after W. J. Dickenson,
a member of the Virginia Assembly. The Dickenson County seat is
Dickenson County is located in the Southwestern
corner of the Commonwealth of Virginia, cradled within the Appalachian
mountains and forests
The region remained largely uncharted until the
1800s. Before this, the only people to move through the area were
Native Americans and southwest Virginia long hunters, both of which
used it as hunting grounds. The first European-American settlements
were at Sand Lick ("Fighting Dick" Colley) and Holly Creek
(John Mullins), which would later become Clintwood.
Before the 1900's, Dickenson County was a pioneer
area, with most of the population sustaining themselves on small
It wasn't until the 1880's that the timber and coal industries would
begin to chop and mine their way into the county. The residents
of Dickenson County were poor, and many jumped at the chance of
selling mineral rights to industry prospectors.
It would be another 35 years before the Carolina Clinchfield &
Ohio Railroad would arrive, and begin to fully exploit the rich
forests and mountains. The resulting jobs ignited a growth which
doubled the population in 15 years.
In the 1930's natural gas reserves were also found in the region.
By the 1950's the lumber companies had exhausted the old growth
trees; today the coal and natural gas industries are showing a very
visible present in the county.
The Crooked Road
Birch Knob Tower
Cumberland Mountain View Drive
Pine Mountain Trail
Ralph Stanley Museum
Mountain Art Work
Coal & RR Museum
Jettie Baker Center
Coal Miners Memorial
Battle of Kings Mtn.
Civil War Veterans