Pension Application of John Kirk: S5558

                        Transcribed and annotated by C. Leon Harris


State of Virginia  Giles County SS

On this 27th day of August 1832

            Personally appeared in Open Court before the Justices of the County Court of Giles County now sitting, John Kirk a resident of the County of Giles in the state of Virginia aged Seventy eight years on the 10th day of October next who being first duly sworn according to law doth on is Oath make the following declaration in order to obtain the benefit of the act of Congress passed June the 7th 1832. That in February 1776 he enlisted as a soldier in the service of the United States for two years under Capt John Chilton of the Continental or Virginia line, under Thomas Marshall Major and that he marched from Fauquier County the place of his residence to Alexandria (D.C.) and there joined the regiment commanded by Col. [Hugh] Mercer at which place they resided for some time & from whence the regiment to which he belonged marched to Williamsburg and from thence they marched to New York where Col Mercer was promoted to a brigadier general [June 1776]. One [George] Weedon took Command of the regiment. Maj’r Marshall was promoted to a Col. and       Leash[?] commanded as Major and was killed in a skirmish with the British in York island, and Capt Lee was appointed Major to fill the vacancy occasioned by Leash’s death. He further states that he with the army continued at York island for some time, from which place they were marched to White plains above New York from thence they were marched some distance up the North river above the White plains and crossed the river (at a place called Fishkill – Piskill or some other such name) and marched into New Jersey from thence into Pennsylvania, and Camped on the bank of the Delaware on Christmas and (as well as he now remembers) on the following morning they crossed the Delaware & marched into Trenton and took the Hessian prisoners. they then recrossed the Delaware taking the prisoners to the Pennsylvania side – in a few days afterwards they recrossed the Delaware and took possession of Trenton, and continued there a few days and from thence he with the army took a circuitous route and fell in at Princeton, and was in the battle fought in the vicinity of that place [3 Jan 1777] where Gen’l. Mercer was Killed [mortally wounded; died 12 Jan]. after the battle of Princeton he was taken sick and sent to the hospital in Philadelphia. And in the spring of 1777 he again joined the Army in Bonbrook [sic: Boundbrook] or Middlebrook in New Jersey and marched in various directions until information was received that the British had landed at the head of Elk [now Elkton MD, 28 Aug 1777]. he marched into Pennsylvania & from thence to the state of Delaware, and was at the battle of Brandywine [11 Sep 1777] where Major Lee was killed. Capt. West was appointed Major to fill the vacancy occasioned by Maj. Lee’s death. Capt. Chilton was likewise killed and John Blackwell took command of the Company. He further states that the regiment to which he belonged, and the whole army was engaged for sometime (after the battle of Brandywine) in the neighbourhood of Philadelphia, watching the movements of the enemy marching and countermarching to different places, among others they marched to Germantown, where they had a considerable engagement with the British [4 Oct 1777]. And that the army continued to watch the movements of the enemy until it went into winter quarters at valley forge, where he was regularly discharged. Which discharge he has lost. he also states that after he arrived in New York he was under the command of General Washington and belonged to the brigade composed of the 3rd 7th 15th & 11 regiments which was commanded by Gen’l. Wood.

            He hereby relinquishes every claim whatever to a Pension or annuity except the present and declares that his name is not on the pension roll of the agency of any state.       John Kirk