Towns: Cache Co. UTGenWeb

Cache County, Utah Towns

[ UTGenWeb ] [ Cache ]

Cache County Utah USA
(old place names and existing towns)

  • North Logan - Greenville was the original name for North Logan; it was changed when the people learned another Utah town had the same name.
  • Paradise [off site] by Lorena Lofthouse (Families, Names, History, Links)
  • Petersburg - a short-lived place name in the southern tip of Cache Valley east of the Little Bear River where the present community of Paradise is located. Shortly after the 1860 initial settlement of Paradise ("Old Paradise") at a small lush cove near the junction of East Creek and the Little Bear River, four families chose to place their cabins three miles further north and down stream rather than in the fort-styled Paradise settlement. Their area came to be called Petersburg. When the settlement of Paradise was relocated from its first location in 1867-68, it moved to and absorbed the place of the four Petersburg families.
  • Peterboro [off site]
  • Providence [off site]
  • Quinney ' a 1916 edition of a Logan Quadrangle topographical map of Cache County shows no Quinney on the map and depicts the Ogden, Logan and Idaho Railway line from its entering Cache County on the west side through Mendon, Wellsville, Hyrum and up the east side and through Lewiston on into Idaho. Another map made a few years later shows the area of northeastern Cache County with specific coverage of the above rail line or interurban. In early 1918 the company was renamed the Utah-Idaho Central Railroad Company (UIC). The interurban line ran north-south through the center of Smithfield northward to Richmond on its western side. It continued northward paralleling the county road to the Merrills' area where the Oregon Short Line Railroad (OSLRR), the county road and the interurban line in that order ran next to one another in close proximity. At a point about a mile and three-quarters north of Richmond, the interurban line crossed via an underpass to the west of the OSLRR and went northwesterly towards Lewiston with a short spur track to the Lewiston sugar factory. The line continued through Lewiston and turned directly north into Idaho and on to Preston. In 1916 a branch line was built westward from the Sugarton area of Lewiston where the sugar factory spur went east of the main line, and was named the Quinney Branch after Joseph Quinney, Jr., whose family and he personally had a long close relationship with the family of David Eccles, the brains and money behind the interurban line. Joseph Quinney, Jr., served as the general superintendent of the sugar factories in Cache County in 1910s and held other important sugar related positions, including being district manager of the Amalgamated Sugar Company in 1920s.
  • Quigley Crossing by Larry D. Christiansen
  • Ransom - a locale near Trenton. The 1895 map of Utah shows Trenton a short distance west of the railroad tracks with nearby "Ransom" right on the railroad route. Both places had a post office but neither had a railroad station. All that remains of this place, name wise, is "Ransom Hollow."
  • Richmond  [off site]
  • River Heights - a community across the Logan River south of Logan. It was settled in 1882 as an outgrowth of the nearby communities. It was initially called 'Dry Town' reflecting its situation when the first canal failed to bring water uphill to the town. Once this was resolved it was renamed River Heights. Under that name the first census figures were from 1920, reporting 298 people in the town.
  • Riverside - name used for the rural agricultural area west-south-west of Smithfield and some two miles north of the initial Benson settlement on the east side of Bear River where a scattered string of farms developed during the 1880s. Apparently these farms initially developed without a distinct identity but with their closest ties to Smithfield to the east. In May of 1890 the parents of twenty-five school aged children petitioned Cache County to create a 'school district in the western part of Smithfield district' for their children. On June 2nd of 1890 the county court took up this petition and unanimously agreed and created the Riverside School District No. 20 and set its precise boundaries. This was the first time the name 'Riverside' made its way into the official county records. The creation of a school district or possibly the establishment of a post office, shortly before or after this, brought a distinct name for the area on the east side of Bear River. About this same time a post office was set up but this can only be confirmed by newspaper reports. Both the school building and the post office bore the name Riverside. However, the latter kept the name for a short time when in June of 1897 there developed mail problems because there was another Riverside Post Office within Utah. Due to the other one being the oldest, the one in Cache County had to change its name. It was decided to change the name to King Post Office in honor of Utah's Representative to Congress William H. King. Still, all county collection of taxes and funds appropriated were in the name of Riverside. Its student population by the mid 1890s rivaled or exceeded nearby Benson. In 1898 the school had seventy students in all grades, most of whom had to travel some distance to school. Usually, according to the Logan newspaper, 'Most of them come horseback' two, three, four and even five, according to the size rider on one horse.' "Riverside Reverberations" (from the newspaper at Logan) in early 1898 described Riverside as covering "a large extent of territory" but "thinly settled as yet. Population is increasing. . . ." But there were some changes as the King Post Office was serviced from the Benson Post Office, and the county frequently tied the Benson and Riverside road district together on appropriations.
  • Smithfield  
  • Stephenson - a locale and school district in what is now the western side of Lewiston and named for the most prominent family in the area. In April of 1897 this Stephenson district paid $1,091.64 in taxes to Cache County and the state. In November of 1897 a letter to the local newspaper stated that "Lewiston embraces Lewiston, Stephenson, and the Wheeler school districts, with the three schools in Lewiston, two in Stephenson, and one in Wheeler, making six schools in our ward . . . ." There is an 1888 picture of one of the Stephenson school buildings located at 1590 West Center Street. In 1904 when Lewiston officially incorporated as a town both Stephenson and Wheeler districts formally became part of Lewiston.
  • Summer Home Areas
  • Summit - located on the Utah Northern Railroad's narrow gauged line over the mountain divide between Collingston and Mendon. This high point on the first tracks into Cache County was shown on a 1876 map of Utah. On later railroad schedules this "Summit" in the Cache Hills was shortened to "Cachill." The steep grade over this divide with its long "S" shaped road bed often required double engines to ascend the hill, making it more than just a high point but a operational point on the line.
  • Trenton - The McCombs family located on Bear River, near present day Trenton, in 1869. The first real settlement of the town began in 1872. The name for the new town was suggested by William B. Preston, church leader, businessman, mayor of Logan and one of the most prominent men in the county, born and reared in Virginia; not as folklore has it after Preston's home town in New Jersey where he never lived. Perhaps he likened the two locations'the New Jersey city beside the Delaware River, which General Washington crossed in the Revolutionary War and the new town in Cache County beside the Bear River. The town was on the 1895 map of Utah with the 1895 U.S. atlas listing the town with a post office but no railroad service. Later, Trenton would have railroad service, and experience a land development project of significant size.
  • Utida - the railroad "in spite" established a depot on the Utah-Idaho border in 1890 when Weston would not make concessions for one.
  • Webster - was located about a half mile north of Cove on U.S. Hwy 91 at the junction of the main road to Lewiston. In 1897 the area paid taxes to Cache County, was listed on the 1910 and 1920 censuses by name and was shown on a 1922 map of Utah.
  • Wheeler - a separate school district in the wide spread Lewiston area and named for one of the prominent families. In 1897 the Wheeler district paid $751.95 in taxes to the county and state.  It is now part of Lewiston.
  • Wellsville [off site] by LaRayne B. Christensen, Wilma J. Hall, Ruth H. Maughan
  • White Horse Village
  • Young Ward - a small farming community adjacent to College Ward and named for President Brigham Young and his church farm endowment for the establishment of a college which included this area. The first census to mention the place was taken in 1940 and registered 194 residents.

    [ UTGenWeb ] [ Cache ] [ Top ]

    Landmarks & Landforms

    A B C D E F G H  I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

    A B C D E F G H  I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

    A B C D E F G H  I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

    [ Top ] [ Cache ]

    Updated: 14 Dec 2013
    Copyright ' 2011, Cache Co. UTGenWeb