Southern New England


Home ] Up ] Families ] Obituaries ] Photo Album ] Records ] Site Map & Index ]


Fall River MA, The Daily Globe, Friday Evening, 25 Aug 1893

"Joe" McGrady Again Visited by the Police
Largest Haul Made by the Blue Coats for Many a Day
Big Crowds Watch the Hard Work Put in by the Officers


At 11 o'clock today the entire day police force on duty at the Central station was assembled in the guard room. The officers sat around until 12 o'clock, and then changed from their uniform to citizens' clothing - shifted from blue to black as Capt. Soley would say. Then the squad moved out, and, at the corner of Bedford street, Officers Mullaly, Daily, Chace and Riley marched straight ahead, while Officers Shay, Reagan, Elsbree, McCarty, Hyde and Garvy turned off Bedford street.

It was apparent that the police were on the lookout for saloons and there was no telling where the axe would fall. Citizens along the street saw and recognized the officers and most of the passersby were satisfied that something of interest was about to happen. There was one man who became intensely interested in the procession and he immediately took footsteps to confirm his suspicions and forestall the cops in executing the work they were abroad to do.

It was Joseph McGrady. He happened to be standing near City Hall and remarked the suspicious movements of the officers. It was then that he took very rapid footsteps, and disappeared behind the buildings, toward the rear of the Pleasant street shop, where the raid was made a few days ago.

When the police arrived, two at the front and two in the rear, the doors were locked. The efforts of the police had been thwarted. They stood around for a few minutes and marched back to the Central station. Then they were sent back to the place under consideration but still the doors were locked.

The other squad, it seems, was after Joseph McGrady's saloon on the corner of Bedford and Twelfth streets. Officer Shay had the warrant, which called for a search of the premises at 66, 68 and 70 Bedford street, and the squad walked in at the open doorway. Several men were in the place, and the bar tender was serving drinks, it is alleged, at the time the officers arrived.

A very large quantity of bottled goods was found in the saloon. In the cellar were 20 hogsheads of ale, 13 of which were on tap. The officers sent for Michael Sweeney's express wagons and began loading them up. A skid was produced and with the assistance of a horse the barrels of ale were drawn up from the cellar. Meanwhile, a large crowd of people assembled in the vicinity to watch the proceedings.

Men showed a disposition to remain in the saloon and see how much stuff was taken, but the officers cleared them out. It is understood that the search warrants call for the seizure of 200 gallons of each of the different kinds of liquor supposed to be in stock at the places searched. That being the case, the police could not take possession of all the ale on hand.

While the raid at Bedford and Twelfth streets was in progress, Officers Garvey and Reagan, who had left the main squad, were standing guard at No. 20 Twelfth street. Garvey had a warrant commanding him to search that place, which the police allege is the wholesale department of Joseph McGrady's business. The door was locked and the search could not be made.

While the raid was in progress a large crowd of spectators assembled in the vicinity and comments were indulged in, some denouncing the authorities and insisting that McGrady had been singled out for personal reasons, while others enjoyed it.

Just after the raid, the Mayor and Mr. McGrady met near the Post Office and were speedily engaged in what appeared to the spectator to be a very heated argument. They spoke in rather excited tones and there was considerable motion of the arm evidently to emphasize the remarks of the speakers.

Later reports from the raid at Bedford and Twelfth streets are to the effect that the police broke open the doors of the house at 20 Twelfth street, known as the wholesale department.

They were taking possession of the stuff therein found when an order came from the Central station to the effect that the liquors seized be placed back in the house.

Deputy Sheriff Graham was present in the interest of outside parties.