Southern New England


Home ] Up ] Families ] Obituaries ] Photo Album ] Records ] Site Map & Index ]


Fall River MA Herald, Friday, May 19, 1911 

Fought at Chancellorsville, Gettysburg, 
Lookout Mountain and Missionary Ridge

Thomas Flannery

Thomas Flannery, now residing at 125 Irving Street, went out to the war from Taunton, though he was credited to Fall River at his own request, and at a sacrifice of $100 in bounty. He was living in this city when the war broke out and was then under 19 years of age. His enlistment took place before he was 20, though, fearing that he might not be allowed to go, he was careful not to inform the enlisting officer of this fact. Having spent the few cents that he had in his pocket for crackers and cheese to sustain them on the way, he and a chum footed it to Taunton, and enlisted there July 9, 1862, in Co. B, 33d Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry, Capt. James Brown, for three years. Col. Albert C. Maggi was the first commander of the regiment. Two other young fellows from Fall River who joined the same company, were friends of Flannery, and the four chummed together. At that time, with the heavy pressure to secure recruits, due to the requirement that each place furnish a designated quota of troops, bounties were going up. Taunton was paying $300, while Fall River was paying $200. The four recruits from Fall River were urged to enlist from Taunton. The other three said that they would leave it to Tom, and Tom decided that, as they belonged in Fall River, he guessed they would give their own town the credit. So they turned down the extra $100 each. Mr. Flannery, when relating the incident, the other day passed it over very modestly, saying: "Sure, what was one hundred dollars more or less when we expected to be shot before we could get the money." Three years was a long time to wait to enjoy it. Eventually, the bounty money was paid to the people of the four recruits in this city.

The 33d Massachusetts was organized at Camp Stanton, Lynnfield, under order of Gov. Andrew, dated May 29, 1862. It was mustered in Aug. 5, 1862, and arrived in Washington Aug. 16, 1862, and was in camp first near Hunter's Chapel, on the Virginia side of the Potomac. After about a week the regiment was ordered to Alexandria, spending three weeks there in patrol and guard duty. It joined Gen. Grover's division for two days in September, but was ordered back to Alexandria. Oct 10, the regiment was ordered to Fairfax Court House, being assigned to the 2d brigade, 2d division, 11 corps, and later to the 3rd brigade, 3rd division, 20th corps, known as the Army of the Cumberland. From early in May, until late in November, 1863, from the middle of May until late in December, 1864, and from March until Johnston's surrender April 13, 1865, Private Flannery and his fellows of Co. B, and the other companies of the 33d Massachusetts had all the war that they wanted. They were in the following engagements, including pitch battles, sieges and fights and marches combined: Chancellorsville, Ga., May 2; Beverly Ford, Va., June 9; Gettysburg, Pa., July 1 to 3; Wauhatchie, Tenn., Oct. 29; "Battle Above the Clouds," or Lookout Mountain and Missionary Ridge, Tenn., Nov. 25, all in 1863 - Resaca, Ga., May 15; Cassville, Ga., May 19 to 22; Dallas, Ga., May 25 to June 4; Kenesaw Mountain, Ga., June 9 to 30; siege of Atlanta, Ga. July 28 to Aug.8; pillage and occupation of Savannah, Ga., Dec. 10 to 21, all in 1864 - campaign of the Carolinas, in 1865, including Averysboro, March 16; Bentonville, March 19 to 21; Raleigh, April 13, and Johnston's surrender at Bennett House, April 26.

After the battle of Missionary Ridge, Gen. Longstreet, whose command had been opposite the division of which the 33d Massachusetts was a part, swung away to try to trap Sheridan. Mr. Flannery was one of the unfortunates who having been on picket duty through the night, had to start off in pursuit without breakfast, and made the long and hard forced march with nothing to eat, and, as it proved, to no purpose.

The camps about Raleigh were vacated April 30, and May 9 the regiment encamped within three miles of Richmond, and on the 19th was back again to Alexandria, camping this time at Cloud's Mills. The regiment took part in the grand review of Gen. Sherman's army in Washington, and immediately afterwards took train for home. The returning soldiers were given an enthusiastic reception in Boston and a banquet in Faneull Hall.

The members of the regiment were honorably discharged in Washington June 11, 1865, by reason of the close of the war, but were kept together and paid off and finally discharged from service at Readville, July 2, 1865.

Mr. Flannery was born in Tipperary, Ireland, Oct. 17, 1842, and came to Fall River to live in 1857.