Yarnscombe Extracts from Devon Newspapers

Yarnscombe Extracts from Devon Newspapers

North Devon Journal, Friday, July 23, 1824

DEATHS.—On Wednesday last at Yarnscombe, Mrs. Joan Down, aged 79, who for upwards of fifty years resided in a house by herself, and kept school, at which nearly all the present Inhabitants of the Parish received instruction, and by whom she was very highly respected. On Sunday last she was seized with apoplexy, and falling forward, her cloathes caught fire; and though it was speedily extinguished by a neighbour who happened at the moment to pass by, yet she only survived till the following Wednesday.

North Devon Journal, Thursday, February 26, 1829

On Monday last, John Kerslake, a servant to Mr. Fisher, of Yarnscombe, was committed to the county gaol by the magistrates at Torrington, charged with stealing wheat from his master; and a female named Newcombe, was committed as an evidence. The prisoner Kerslake was a confidential servant of Mr. Fisher, and had possession of the key of his barn; where a quantity of wheat having been threshed, it was discovered that a portion of the produce had been stolen; Mr. Fisher procured a warrant to search the houses of several individuals on who he could fix any suspicion; amongst others that of a neighbour, a labouring man called Newcombe, where a bag containing sheat was found, which from its age and other circumstances Mr. Fisher identified as his: the man and his wife were apprehended, and their commitment made out: when the woman gave an intimation that if Mr. Fisher's confidential servant, Kerslake, were brought up, some fresh light might be thrown on the business; he was accordingly apprehended, and it came out that he was the guitly person, that he had carried the wheat to Newcombe's house, and lodged it there, with the privity of Newcombe's wife, but that Newcombe was ignorant and innocent of the whole transaction. Newcombe was therefore discharged, and Kerslake committed to gaol.

North Devon Journal, Thursday, December 10, 1829

On Wednesday last, a little child of Mr. Abel Symons, farmer, of the parish of Yarnscombe, in the temporary absence of its mother, caught its clothes on fire, and running to the door, was met by its mother with a pitcher of water, which she instantly threw over the child, but unfortunately the injury it had received caused its death in a few hours.

North Devon Journal, Thursday, April 26, 1832

TORRINGTON.—An inquest was held on the morning of the 19th inst., before F. Kingdon, Esq., in the parish of Yarnscombe, on the body of James Ashford, who died suddenly on the preceding evening, in the public road, on his return home, whilst conduction his master's carriage with passengers. Verdict—Died by the Visitation of God. The deceased has many years been a good and faithful servant, as chaise driver, the employ of Mr. Wills, of the Globe Inn, in Great Torrington.

North Devon Journal, Thursday, July 16, 1846

DEATHS. July 6, at Yarnscombe, Mrs. Mary Symons, aged 76. The deceased retired to rest on Sunday, apparently in good health, having attended Torrington market, as usual, the day before, and on the Monday morning was found a corpse.

Trewman's Exeter Flying Post, Thursday, October 19, 1848

NORTH DEVON. On Saturday last, at the Magistrates' office, before the Rev. Peter Glubb, C.L. Cohan and Hy. Hole, Esqrs., Samuel Judd, of the parish of St. Giles, was brought up in custody charged with being found trespassing in the night time with nets and wires for the purpose of killing game on the lands of J.H. Furse, Esq., in the parish of Yarnscombe. John Moore, the gamekeeper, stated that he was out walking and heard a hare cry and ran in the direction of the sound, and found the prisoner taking a hare out of the wire, there was another person there who made his escape, on searching him he found another hare and a net in his pocket; the prisoner, who said nothing in his defence, was committed to the House of Correction for three calendar months, and at the expiration of that period to find sureties not to offend again for the next twelve months, and in default to be further imprisoned for six months.

Trewman's Exeter Flying Post, Thursday, October 26, 1848

TORRINGTON POLICE, OCT. 21.—At the Magistrates' office this day, before the Rev. P. Glubb, J.H. Furse, Esq., H. Hole, Esq., and C. Carter, Esq., Richard Hill, of St Giles, was brought up in custody on a charge of night poaching upon the lands of Mr. William Chick, in the parish of Yarnscombe, on the night of Thursday the 12th inst. The prisoner was ably defended by Mr. Jennings, solicitor, of Bideford, who occupied a considerable time in the defence; but the magistrates, however, considered the charge to be fully proved, and sentenced the prisoner to be imprisoned in the House of Correction, to hard labour, for the space of six weeks, and at the expiration of that time to find sureties not so to offend again for 12 months, and in default of such sureties to be further imprisoned for a period of six months.

North Devon Journal, Thursday, March 1, 1849

SHEEP STEALING.—The adjoining parishes of Tawstock and Yarnscombe have again been visited with this description of plunder, which is become so universal, notwithstanding the numerous convictions that have recently taken place. At fat sheep was stolen from Mr. Abel Symons, of Crealake Farm, in Yarnscombe, on Friday night or Saturday morning; the thieves carried off the whole of the carcase, and as yet remain undiscovered.

Trewman's Exeter Flying Post, Thursday, July 5, 1849

TORRINGTON. On Friday, 20th June, at the Magistrates office, Great Torrington, Thomas and James Joce, father and son, of the parish of Yarnscombe, were brought before G. Braginton, Esq., Mayor, John Sloley, Esq., and the Rev. P. Glubb, Justices, by our police, charged with stealing a fat wether sheep, the property of Mr. Samuel Davies, of Moortown Farm, in this parish, on the night of Wednesday, the 20th of June. It appears that on Thursday, the 21st of June, Mr. Davies missed a sheep from his flock, finding the skin and entrails left behind, and gave information to our police officer. Fussell was engaged in enquiry and search until the Monday following when he advised Mr. Davies to make application for a search warrant, which was done, and after a search in the parishes of Great Torrington and Hurtshaw, without success, he determined on going to the house of Thomas Joce, lately carrying on the business of a farmer and butcher, in the parish of Yarnscombe, and asking a few questions which was answered in a way calculated to strengthen his suspicions, he determined to make search, which being commenced, having a good eye to the inmates, Cole, a constable of Torrington, was soon led to the discovery of about 50lb of mutton, in salt, which Mrs. Joce attempted to conceal by heaping a quantity of lumber upon it, at the same time saying, "You are very welcome to search, there is nothing of the sort here." Fussell in this time followed up Joce and daughter, who went up stairs, and got there just in time to detect Miss Joce going down over another flight of stairs with a fleece of wool, and after putting her under the custody of Cole, found the old man in a dark upstair room, removing some bags, one of which he found to be marked with blood, also the floor of the room under a beam, apparently where a carcase had been hung, and upon a wall in the staircase. Besides the mutton, about 10 or 12 lbs of mutton fat were found. Joce not being able to account to the satisfaction of Fussell for the possession of the mutton, he thought proper from the very suspicious circumstances to remove it to Torrington. The son, James Joce, not then being present, they were both apprehended the next day, when they were remanded by G. Braginton, Esq., Mayor, until this day, when other strong corroborative evidence was adduced, and both prisoners committed to take their trial at the General Quarter Sessions for the County, now pending.

North Devon Journal, Thursday, July 5, 1849.

     Magistrates' Office, June 29th.—Before George Braginton, Esq., Mayor, John Sloley, Esq., and the Rev. Peter Glubb.
     Thomas Joce, late a farmer and butcher of Yarnscombe, and James Joce, his son, a young man about 25 years of age, were brought up in custody, having been remanded on Wednesday, on a charge of stealing a fat wether sheep, the property of Mr Samuel Davis, of Moortown Farm.—Mr Davis missed the sheep from his flock on the Thursday morning previous; and in prosecuting his search he found the head and entrails of it in the field. In the course of the day information was given to Mr. Fussell, the police officer of Torrington, who was engaged in endeavouring to trace it till the Monday following, when Mr Davis took out a warrant to search several houses in Torrington and Huntshaw. Not meeting with any success, and having had suspicion of Joce having stolen a sheep from Mr Davis about 18 months ago, which was conveyed away from the field on a horse, the police officer went in the direction of the prisoners house. He went up to the first house he came to not knowing it to be Joce's residence, and on knocking at the door was answered by a young woman, who turned out to be a daughter of the prisoner. Instead of immediately answering him whose house it was, or whether Joce was home or not, she went back into the kitchen and whispered to her mother, to whom the errand of Mr. Fussell was speedily communicated. She then requested the daughter to call her father, who was in the orchard adjoining, and on his entering he was likewise apprised of the disagreeable fact. They evinced the greatest willingness to have the house searched; and the police officer; with his assistant Cole, commenced doing so. They were followed through the rooms by the elder prisoner and his wife. The latter, on entering a back house, removed a cloth that was placed on a salting tub and put on a cover instead, and then commenced placing a quantity of lumber on the top, all the while exclaiming that "they were quite welcome to search," and making a show of aid and assistance. Cole, however, observed her movements narrowly, and explored the tub, which was found to contain about 50 lb. of mutton in salt pickle, cut up not into ordinary joints, but rather in pig-fashion for more convenience in stowing away. During this time the old man had gone up-stairs, accompanied by his daughter, where they were followed by Mr. Fussell, who got up just in time to see the daughter going quickly down another flight of stairs with a fleece of wool, which he seized, and placed the girl in custody of Cole. He then found the elder prisoner in a dark room turning over some bags, which, on examination, were found to be saturated with blood. The wall of the stairs, and the floor of the room in question, were found to be marked with blood in like manner: it appeared as if the carcase of a sheep has been suspended from a beam in the room, and its blood had drained from it on the floor. In addition to the meat, a quantity of melted fat was found. The officer inform them that unless they could give an account of how they had obtained possession of the meat &c., he should take charge of it and convey them to Torrington in custody. They both declined to do so, and the old man and his son were taken in charge. On Mr Davis being informed where the mutton had been found, he remembered having seen the elder prisoner the same day looking over the gate of an adjoining field to the one in which the sheep were kept. Strong circumstantial evidence involving the two prisoners was adduced before the magistrates, and they were both committed for trial at the General Quarters sessions now pending. It should be added that butchers and other competent persons gave it as their opinion from appearances, that the salted meat have been killed about the same time as the skin and entrails which were found, but the attempt to match the joints with the head was not very satisfactory. The fact the prisoners' refusing to account for the meat, which evidently been killed and secreted clandestinely, was the principal cause of suspicion against them. The elder prisoner is very respectfully connected, and has always been considered an honourable man and a man of some substance. Suspicion is now rife in connecting him with many other similar acts which have been very common in this neighbourhood for a year or two past.

Western Times, Saturday, July 7, 1849

Thomas Joce and James Joce were charged with stealing a sheep, at Great Torrington, on the 21st of June, from Saml. Davies. Mr. Holdsworth prosecuted, and Mr. Collier defended. Prosecutor is a farmer, renting Moor Town Farm, on the road from Torrington to Barnstaple. In one of the fields he had several sheep, and on the 21st he found one of them had been killed, and the entrails and head been left behind. The prisoners are father and son, living together, about four miles from prosecutor, in Yarnscombe parish. On the 25th, Fussell, the Torrington police officer, went to Thomas Joce's house, told him he was suspected of stealing a sheep, and that he was come with Cole, another constable to search. In the back kitchen they found about 50 lb. weight of mutton in salt, in a room up-stairs a bag was found stained with blood, and blood on the floor, like the dropping from a carcase. The next evening both prisoners were taken into custody; the portion of the neck found in the house had been matched with the head, but from his jagged state it could not be identified as a portion of the same sheep, although it was a part of a sheep about the same weight as the prosecutor's. The elder prisoner was asked where he had got the mutton from, but declined to account for it. There seemed to be no case whatever against the younger prisoner, and the court directed a verdict of acquittal. With regard to the other prisoner, Mr. Collier urged that there was not sufficient evidence to show that prisoner had stolen the prosecutor's sheelp. The Court was of the same opinion, and stopped the learned counsel, and both prisoners were acquitted. In answer to a question by the Court, Fussell stated that the elder prisoner's wife had been recently convicted at Barnstaple of stealing a veil, and sentences to three months' imprisonment.

North Devon Journal, Thursday, September 27, 1849

MARRIAGES. On Board the Barque "Vittoria," of London, on her passage, from Bideford to Quebec, in Lat. 49-30. N., and Long. 33-11. W. on the 18th of July last, by the Rev. J.H. Eynon, John Burd, Esq., of Highbickington, Devon, surgeon, to Miss Jane Thomas, of Yarnscombe. The bridegroom and bridge were respectively of the ages of 41 and 17 years.

Trewman's Exeter Flying Post, Thursday, December 6, 1849

YARNSCOMBE.—A vestry meeting was held on Thursday last, to determine on the adoption of measures for preventing the unlawful proceedings carried on for some time past in the parish and neighbourhood; indeed, to such an extent are these disgraceful proceeding pursued, the robberies are almost of daily occurrence. This is a state of things which the parishioners are resolved on putting down, by having a regular police-officer, but as the parish is small, it was considered that the adjoining parish of Atherington might be also under the superintendence of one and the same person, and means are being taken for the co-operation of that parish to carry it into effect.

North Devon JournalThursday, February 21, 1850

On Saturday, before the Rev. Peter Glubb and Sir Trevor Wheler, John Hammett, a boy of Yarnscombe, was summoned for cutting spear-sticks for thatching purposes, in Court Wood, in that parish, but was dismissed with a caution as to his future conduct, on paying the expenses amounting to ten shillings.

Trewman's Exeter Flying Post, Thursday, April 18, 1850

TORRINTON. John Ockford, lately police constable at Braunton, has been appointed police constable for the parish of Yarnscombe, the duties of which he commenced on the 3d inst.

Trewman's Exeter Flying Post, Thursday, March 27, 1851

YARNSCOMBE POLICE—On Saturday, at the Magistrates' Office, before the Rev. Peter Glubb,—a woman, named HAMMETT, and a man, named CLARK, were summoned by Ockford, policeman, for drunkenness and disorderly conduct, in Yarnscombe-street, Yarnscombe. The officer stated that they were both drunk, and that the woman behaved in a most "disgustful" and "unmanly" manner, but which conduct, according the officer's account, the worthy magistrate thought very "unwomanly," for a female. They were fined 5s. each, with a week to pay it, or to sit in the stocks 6 hours.

Trewman's Exeter Flying Post, Thursday, May 22, 1851

DEATHS. May 12, at Yarnscombe, aged 56, Mr. John Moore, thatcher.

North Devon Journal, Thursday, July 3, 1851

FELONY.—Andrew Gay, of Yarnscombe, was next brought up in custody of the same officer [Fussell], charged with stealing a warming pan and three brass candlesticks from Elizabeth Trott, beerhouse keeper, in this town. On the day previous, it appeared, the prisoner had been there, and had something to drink, and the servant having occasion to go out, met him on her return with the warming pan walking out of the house. She took it from him, and allowed him to go about his business; in a few hours after they missed the candlesticks, and gave information to Fussell, who afterwards found the prisoners with one of the candlesticks in his pocker; the other two were found concealed in an outhouse, where the prisoner had been seen to go. He was committed for trial at the quarter sessions now pending.

Trewman's Exeter Flying Post, Thursday, July 10, 1851

YARNSCOMBE AGAIN.—On Saturday, 5th inst., at the Town Clerk's Office, before the Mayor, WILLIAM QUICK, of the parish of Yarnscombe, was charged with stealing a shirt from the West Country Inn, in this town. It appeared in evidence that the prisoner slept at the above inn the previous night, and on the following morning a shirt was found missing, belonging to Henry Slade, a lodger. Information was given to constable Cole, who traced Quick on to Woodford Bridge, and found the shirt on him. The prisoner was fully committed to take his trial at the next assizes.

Trewman's Exeter Flying Post, Thursday, November 13, 1851

YARNSCOMBE.—In consequence of the unpleasant feeling against the paid policeman in this parish by the farmers, in having to contribute the principal part of the expenses themselves, some of the landowners defraying a moiety, while others refuse to allow any part towards it, Ockford the policeman, have give notice to resign his situation at Lady-day next.

Trewman's Exeter Flying Post, Thursday, November 4, 1852

YARNSCOMBE.—On Thursday last, a serious accident occurred to a labouring man named Patt, in the employ of Mr. Samuel Fisher, Court Barton, in this parish. He had been engaged in drawing lime, with two horses and butt; and after unloading, the horses started off, when, in his endeavour to stop then, he was thrown down and received such severe injuries in his head and other parts of his body, that he is not expected to recover. The poor fellow has a family of six young children.

Trewman's Exeter Flying Post, Thursday, January 27, 1853

YARNSCOMBE AGAIN!—The same day [18 Jan], at the County Magistrates' office, before Sir Trevor Wheler, Bart., Richard Blackmore was brought up under a warrant, charging him with stealing wood from Mr. John Bolt, of Yarnscombe. The prosecutor stated that he had lost a large quantity of wood, at different times, but in this case he traced footmarks to the prisoner's huse, where he found some wood and a large pole, which he identified as his property. He was committed for trail at the sessions, but admitted to bail.

YARNSCOMBE AGAIN!—On Thursday, 20th inst., at the County Magistrates' office, before Sir Trevor Wheler, Bart., William Budd, of Yarnscombe, was charged with stealing an ash tree, the property of the devisees under the will of the late Lord Rolle. Mr. Mackenzie, superintendent of the woods belonging to the devisees, stated that considerable damage had been done to the woods in Yarncombe, particularly in Court Wood, in the said parish. From information received, he sent two men to Court Wood, where they found an ash tree cut down, and also cut into short lengths for easy removal. The men watched until ten o'clock Monday night, and then left. On going there again the following morning, they found all gone but one length, on which they put a mark, and watched until Tuesday night, when they saw a man come and carry away the piece, but not knowing him, they allowed him to go off without shewing themselves. Cole, the police-officer, of Torrington, went to Yarnscombe the next day, and after a diligent search, found a quantity of ash in the prisoner's house, and amongst it the piece that was marked. The prisoner was fully committed for trial at the next sessions.

North Devon Journal, Thursday, April 14, 1853

YARNSCOMBE.—An Inquest was held on Tuesday last, on the body of Isaac Pethebridge, of this place, who was found dead in his bed the previous day. He rose in the morning and went to his work, but returned in the forenoon complaining of violent pain in his stomach, and went to bed, where he was shortly discovered dead. Pethebridge was an old man, and it appeared lived unhappily with his wife and son, which gave rise to a report that he was poisoned. Messrs. Cowdry and Jones, of Torrington, made a post mortem examination of the body, but could trace no poison; whereupon the Jury immediately returned a verdict of "Natural death."

Trewman's Exeter Flying Post, Thursday, May 19, 1853

BIRTHS. May 12, at Yarnscombe, the wife of Mr. William Pengilly, Churcombe Farm, of a son.

Trewman's Exeter Flying Post, Thursday, October 6, 1853

BIRTHS. September 30, at Sherwood Farm, in Yarnscombe, the wife of Mr. Thomas Symons, of a son.

Trewman's Exeter Flying Post, Thursday, June 8, 1854

BIRTHS. May 22, at Yarnscombe, the wife of Mr. William Pengilly, Churcombe Farm, of a son.

Trewman's Exeter Flying Post, Thursday, November 2, 1854

DEATHS. October 27, at Yarnscombe, aged 54, Mr. William Furse, mason, of that parish.

Trewman's Exeter Flying Post, Thursday, February 8, 1855

DEATHS. January 25, at Yarnscombe, aged 73, Ann, widow of Mr. Francis Thorne, of St. Giles.

Trewman's Exeter Flying Post, Thursday, May 22, 1856

A BACCHANALIAN.—On Saturday, before G. Braginton, Esq., Mayor, and S. Snell, Esq., Justice, James Davy, of Yarnscombe, was charged by police officer Cole with being drunk and using indecent and improper language. The Mayor enquired if the offender had paid his last fine for drunkenness, and on being informed he had not, he was ordered to sit in the stock for two hours, and on his being liberated he was again brought before the bench, and the present charge being proved by Cole, he was fined 10s. and costs, or in default fourteen days' imprisonment.

Trewman's Exeter Flying Post, Thursday, June 26, 1856

COUNTY PETTY SESSIONS, June 21 before Sir Trever Wheler, Bart., and Rev. C.D.M. Drake, justices.—John Symons, landlord of the Old Barnhouse Inn, in Yarnscombe, appeared on complaint of Mary Hammett, for assaulting her on the 17th inst. It appeared in evidence that on the abovenamed day a dispute arose about impounding some cattle, when defendant too hold of complainant, broke her gown, and threw her on the ground. Symons, in his defence, produced his authority, as he stated, signed by three magistrates, to maintain good order and prevent unlawful games, &c., on his premises; and further stated that the complainant threw a stone at him, which he considered out of order; and also that she stole some straw from him, which he considered an unlawful game; and he only took her into custody. The Bench asked to look at his authority, when they found it was a magistrate's certificate for an alehouse licence. The chairman considered the assault proved, and fined him one pound, including costs, or one month's imprisonment. He was rather obdurate; but after an hour's reflection in durance vile, the penalty was paid.

North Devon Journal, Thursday, August 20, 1857

AGGRAVATED ASSAULT.—William Cole, of Yarnscombe, was summoned by Louisa Hammett, of the same parish, for assaulting her on the 30th ult. Defendent did not appear, and has since absconded. The service of summons was proved. From the evidence, it appeared that the defendant had been keeping company with the complainant's daughter, but on account of his conduct had turned him off. On the night in question he came again, when he was ordered off, that so enraged the disappointed lover that he struck the complainant a violent blow in the face and attempted to kick her. The Bench considered it came under the class of Aggravated Assaults on Women, and fined him in the penaly of £5, or three calendar months with hard labour.

Trewman's Exeter Flying Post, Thursday, November 18, 1858

DEATHS. November 6, aged 81, Ann, wife of Mr. Willian Pengilly, Churcombe Farm, Yarnscombe.

North Devon Journal, Thursday, February 3, 1859

CHANGE AGAINST A PUBLICAN.—Samuel Muxworthy, of Yarnscombe, beer-house keeper, was summoned by P.C. Vallance for keeping open his house after 10 o'clock, on the night of the 25th ult. The P.C. in his nightly rounds, came to the house of the defendant and half-past 11 and espied a light. The defendant in his defence said, that he had been from home on business, and on his return a trifle before eleven, asked his wife to bring in his supper, and he drew a pint of beer for himself. When Vallance came in, he asked him to drink out of the pint, which he at first refused to do, but on being pressed drank a good draught. The P.C. admitted he sipped out of the forbidden pint, but that he did it for the purpose of satisfying himself that beer was in it. The Bench were of opinion the case was proved and fined the landlard 1s. and 7s. 6d. expenses.

North Devon Journal, Thursday, March 3, 1859

CORONER'S INQUEST.—On Monday last, an inquest was held by R. Bremridge, Esq., County Coroner, at Rooks, in the parish of Yarnscombe, on the body of Johanna Karslake, widow, aged 63, who died on the morning of the day previous, after a very brief illness. The deceased was at Barnstaple market on Friday last, from whence she returned at seven in the evening. She went to bed in her accustomed state of health, but about midnight she started out of bed in alarm, and said she had been dreaming. She was assured that there was nothing the matter, and retuned to bed and fell asleep, but shortly afterwards again started up in great fright and remained in an excited state for two hours. She got up at one o'clock on Saturday afternoon, and came down stairs where she remianed till six in the evening, when she retired. She slept but little on Saturday night, and on Sunday morning, during the temporary absence of her daughters, she expired.—In the early part of the week there had been disputes between the deceased and two of her sons respecting the division of property left by the late Mr. Karslake; and since that time she had been labouring under great excitement. Sinister rumours had been afloat as to the means by which the poor woman came to her end, but these were disproved by the evidence taken at the inquest; and the Jury returned as their verdict "That death resulted from a rupture of a vessel of the heart, accelerated by excitement."

North Devon Journal, Thursday, October 4, 1860

CAUTION TO MOTHERS.—On Saturday last, a melancholy occurrence took place at Yarnscombe. The wife of a man named Thomas Moore, residing at Delly, in the above parish, placed her infant child, a girl aged 5 months, into the cradle, in the kitchen. Shortly afterwards the mother had occasion to leave the house for a short time, and, during her absence, a large pig found its way into the kitchen where the child was sleeping, seized the infant by the right hand and dragged it from the cradle, crushing and fracturing the bones of the hand and arm, with fearful lacerations, and was only rescued just in time by the horror-stricken mother from further injuries. Doctor Jones and his assistant (Mr. Barr) were immediately in attendance, when it was found necessary at once to amputate one finger. It is doubtful whether the little sufferer will survive the injuries it received from this brutal attack.

Trewman's Exeter Flying Post, Wednesday, December 19, 1860

TORRINGTON.—Robert Paddon, of Yarnscombe, was charged with maliciously cutting down an ash tree in Court Wood, the property of the Hon. Mark Rolle. The charge was proved by Mr. Hutton (forester to Mr. Rolle) and Sergeant Reed, who traced by marks on the ground that the tree had been taken to prisoner's house, where they afterwards found its remains split into pieces, some of which exactly matched the stock. Fined 5s., the worth of the tree, £2 penalty and £1 expenses. The money was paid.—John Kerslake, of Yarnscombe, was summoned by Mr. Sussex, overseer of Huntshaw, to shew cause why he refused to pay £1 2s. 9¾d. for poor\s rate due from defendant in respect of an estate recently occupied by hime. Defendant said he had given up possession, but he afterwards admitted his claim as the rightful occupier. The Bench made an order for payment.

Trewman's Exeter Flying Post, Thursday, February 7, 1861

STEALING WOOD.—Clara Bird, of Yarnscombe, for maliciously cutting underwood in a coppice belonging to Mr. Fisher, has been fined 6d, with 7s. 10d. expenses.

North Devon Journal, Thursday, 21 Nov 1861

YARNSCOMBE. Bible Christian Tabernacle.—A new Chapel was opened for religious services on Thursday last, in this parish, on which occasion Mr. F. Martin, from Holsworthy, late the respected minister of the Barnstaple Circuit, preached an appropriate sermon. At 5 o'clock there was a Public Tea provided; followed by a Public Meeting at which Messrs. Lillington, Gudridge, and others delivered addresses. The Chapel is a wooded structure, built upon six wheels, the object of which is to prevent its becoming the property of the owner of the soil on the expiration of the lease on which it is granted to the present lessee. The Opening Services were continued on the following Sunday, when Mr. Lillington, of Barnstaple, officiated.

North Devon Journal, Thursday, January 15, 1863

STEALING POTATOES.—Samuel Patt, of Yarnscombe, labourer, was charged with stealing a quantity of potatoes from Mr. John Kerslake, of the above parish, on 9th instand.—P.C. Buckingham stated that on the previous night he was at Langridge Ford, in the parish of Yarnscombe, and in the road there, saw prisoner with a bag on his back. On asking what he had, prisoner replied potatoes, and stated that he had them from his field at Mr. Oatway's. He (witness) believed the tale, and allowed prisoner to go on. Upon inquiry, he afterwards learned that the prisoner had no potatoes at Mr. Oatway's. On Saturday morning, he appreheneded the prisoner and took possession of the potatoes; and finding that Mr. Kerslake had during the same night lost potatoes from his cave, he charged prisoner with the offence. The prisoner in reply, said to witness, "You can't swear that;" but afterwards said, "I did commit the deed." The potatoes weighed 4 score and 17lbs., worth 4s.—Mr. Kerslake stated that a quantity of potatoes of the same description as those produced by the policeman had recently been taken from his cave, but he could not swear to them as being his property. He gave prisoner a very good character, and asked the Bench to deal as easily as possible with him, as it was his first offence.—Prisoner was committed to the house of correction for 14 days.

North Devon Journal, Thursday, May 21, 1863

YARNSCOMBE. Fatal Accident.—On Wednesday morning last, a melancholy accident attended with fatal results accurred at Cleave Farm, in this parish. It appears James Arthur, son of Mrs. Arthur, went into the field for the purpose of driving home on of his mother's horses, when the animal kicked him in the abdomen. The lad who is about 14 years of age, managed to reach home, and a surgeon (Mr. Rouse, of Torrington) was soon in attendance, but it was found that the poor fellow had received a mortal blow which baffled medical skill. He lingered until Friday, when death put an end to his sufferings. Mrs. Arthur was a short time since left a widow with a large family (two of which have since emigrated to America) consequently deep sympathy is felt for her in the neighbourhood at this painful bereavement.

Trewman's Exeter Flying Post, Wednesday, February 24, 1864

TORRINGTON.—John Oatway, of Yarnscombe, was charged by Sarah Fisher with rescuing certain sheep which were seized for the purpose of being impounded on the 6th inst. Defendant admitted the offence, but contended that he had a right to the field from which they had been taken up to Ladyday. The Bench had no jurisdiction. Case dismissed.

North Devon Journal, Thursday, May 19, 1864

ASSAULTING A WIFE.—John Symonds, of Yarnscombe, was summoned to answer the complaint of his wife, for assaulting her on the 27th of February last.—Mr. I. Bencraft appeared for the complainant.—The defendant has for several years past, kept the 'Old Beam House' Inn, at Langridge Ford. On the 17th of February, a distress was levied upon defendant's goods, and he was "sold out," and the assault is alleged to have been committed after the sale, when, according to complainant's statement, defendant pulled her about by the hair of head, and struck her. She then left, and went to live with her brother, and has since gone into service at Fremington. About a fortnight since, defendant went where she was living, and abused and threated her, who, in order to obtain redress, summoned defendant for the old offence.—The Bench did not consider the evidence of complainant sufficient to prove the charge, dismissed the case and cautioned defendant not to molest his wife in future.

North Devon Journal, Thursday, August 4, 1864

YARNSCOMBE. Gastronomic Feat.—Monday last, on the return of the revel, Mr. James Joce, farmer and timber dealer, of this place, visited the "Hunters Inn" in the village to enjoy himself with some friends, when hearing of the landlady's excellent buns, he resolved on making a good meal and offered to eat 20 buns and drink one quart of ale in an hour if the company would pay the cost. His proposal was accepted, the buns and ale were placed on the table. Joce set to work in right earnest, walking across the kitchen from his seat to table after the buns singly, and now and then taking a sip of ale. In 45 minutes the whole was devoured. The conclusion of the scene is better imagined than described; and the gourmand retired amidst the laughter and jeers of all present.

North Devon Journal, Thursday, August 25, 1864

ASSULT.—John Karslake, of Yarnscombe, was charged with assulting Richard Fisher, on the 13th instant.—Mr. L. Bencraft appeared on behalf of defendant.—Complainant rents two fields of defendant and some dispute had taken place as to whether he should pay the rent to defendant or the landowner's agent, Mr. Daw. Mr. Daw had given complainant orders not to pay any rent to Kerslake and Kerslake had put in a distress upon the crops for rent due at Midsummer. On the day in question complainant went to defendant's house when some altercation took place about the rent of the fields, and complainant told defendant that if he could shew any authority from Mr. Daw, the agent, he (complainant) would pay him the amount due. Defendant became enraged, ordered complainant out of the house, and when near the door he took up a turnip hoe, and gave complainant two blows in the face with it.—Complainant's father and a workman named John Martin corrobated his evidence as to the assault.—The Bench considered the charge proved and finded defendant 10s. and 19s. 6d. expenses.
ASSAULT.—James Smale, of Yarnscombe, was charged with assaulting Mary Cooke, on the 16th inst.—The parties are servants of Mr. Grigg, at Court Barton. On the evening of the 16th defendant entered the front kitchen and told complainant he wanted his supper. Complainant told him he must go into the back kitchen and wait. Dependant was going on an errand for his master, after supper, and considering his master's business required hast, he went to the oven and took out a pie. Complainant felt annoyed at defendant's helping himself and tried to secure the pie. A scuffle ensued, and, as alleged by complainant, defendant pulled her hair, kicked and thumped her.—Wm. Turner, a fellow servant, said he saw a scuffle but no blows passed.—Mr. Grigg said the defendant was a very quiet man, but complainant was very irritable and the disturbance was caused by her.—The Bench dismissed the charge.

Trewman's Exeter Flying Post, Wednesday, December 21, 1864

YARNSCOMBE.—The son of Mr. Caleb Youatt, farmer, caught his hand in a chaffcutter and the fingers were thereby cut off at the first joint.

Trewman's Exeter Flying Post, Wednesday, Feb 13, 1867

BARNSTAPLE.—Mrs. Kerslake, of Yarnscombe, was fined 8s, 6d., including costs, for offering for sale in the Barnstaple market on Friday butter deficient in weight.

Trewman's Exeter Flying Post, Wednesday, March 20, 1867

TORRINGTON.—The county petty session was held on Saturday before W.A. Deane, Esq., the Hon. Mark Rolle, and J.C.M. Stevens and A.R.Hole, Esqrs. Samuel Patt, of Yarnscombe, was charged with stealing on the 9th instant at Yarnscombe a faggot of wood, the property of the Hon. Mark Rolle. Prisoner pleaded guilty, and he, consenting to be tried by the Bench, was committed for fourteen days. Mr. Rolle did not take any part in the adjudicating in the case.

North Devon Journal, Thursday, 26 Dec 1867

YARNSCOMBE. Sudden Death.—An inquest was held, on Saturday, before John Henry Toller, Esq, deputy coroner, on the body Jane Davy, a single woman, aged 67, who expired suddenly on the previous Tuesday.—Dr. C. R. Jones, of Great Torrington, was of opinion that death was occasioned by apoplexy or natural causes, and the jury returned a verdict accordingly.

North Devon Journal, Thursday, April 2, 1868

ASSAULT.—William Cooke, of Yarnscombe, was charged with assaulting Emmanuel Pethebridge on the 17th March. It appeared from comp;ainant's evidence that on the above day defendant and his wife and son were assaulting complainant's siter and serving her rather roughly, when complainant asked defendant why he di so; whereupon he knocked complanant down and kicked him as he lay on the ground.—Maria Pethebridge corroborated the statement of her brother, and fefendant was fined £1 6s. 6d., including the expenses.

North Devon Journal, Thursday, November 12, 1868

ASSAULT.—Isaac Badcock, of Roborough, was charged with an assault on Mary Cooke, of Yarnscombe, on the 22nd ult.—Mr. Tapley appeared for the defendant.&mdashComplainant stated that on the night of the above day she met defendant in St. Giles driving a cow and calf towards Ebberley Arms; he asked her to assist him in driving them, she did so for some distance, and before leaving him he assaulted her in an indecent manner.—The Bench having heard the evidence, considered it to be a trumped up case, and at once dismissed the charge.

Trewman's Exeter Flying Post, Wednesday, December 29, 1869

BARNSTAPLE.—The Barnstaple petty session was held on Wednesday before M. Dunn and W. Currey, Esqrs., Lieutenant-Colonel Harding, and the Rev. James Arthur. John Fisher, of Yarnscombe, was charged with violently assaulting William Wollacott, of Atherington. There had been some jealous feeling between the parties with reference to a young woman in the neighbourhood; and on the preceding Sunday night week the defendant, who is the son of a miller, waylaid the complainant, a farm servant, knocked him down, and kicked him several times about the head. The assault was of a most violent nature, and the inflicted the penalty of £5, with costs.

North Devon Journal, Thursday, November 21, 1871

YARNSCOMBE.—Accidental Death of a Little Child.—Charge of Parental Neglect.—An inquest was held at the Hunters' Inn, in this village, on Monday last, before John Henry Toller, Esq., deputy coroner, on view of the body of Mary Bird, a little child of two years old, the illegitimate daughter of Grace Bird. The facts were as follows:—The mother lives in the village, having the deceased and another daughter, who is in her seventh year. Their grandmother, who is a widow, lives in the same cottage. On the evening of the 11th November, the mother being out to work in the field, the grandmother of the children was boiling some turnips for supper, and had taken the boiler off the fire, and left it by the fire-place while she went into another part of the house for a dish, cautioning the children not to go near the boiler. On her return to the spot, after an absence of two minutes, she found the deceased had upset the boiler, and had got the boiling water over her, by which her leg and thigh were severely scalded. She took the little thing upon her knee, and got off its clothes, and called in a neighbour to her assistance. Within a few minutes the mother came home, and, find what had happened, procured some whiting and linseed oil and applied to the scalds, which seemed to relieve the pain, and the child went off to sleep. She applied the oil every day, and the child appeared to appeared to be doing very well, and ate her food quite as usual. A neighbour, called Mary Ann Davey, came in to see the child two or three times a day, and saw that she was doing well, until Thursday last, when she refused food, and appeared to be very restless in bed, looking wildly, and rubbing her head against the cradle. Mrs. Davey advised the mother to send for a doctor, and the mother sent her little girl, the years of age, into Torrington to inform Dr. Jones, the medical man of the parish. The doctor, however, did not come, and the child died on the Saturday, no medical man having seen her. Dr. Jones gave evidence before the Coroner to the effect that on Thursday last, in the afternoon, while he was at dinner, a woman called Clara Bird came and told him the mother, Mary Bird, was ill in one of her usual attacks, and had sent her little girl to her to go and inform the doctor. He gave her medicine, and told her if the woman was not better in the morning to let him know. He received no message, and went next day about his other duties, and in the afternoon learned that a message had been left for him at his at his house that Mary Bird was just the same. The next morning, being engaged in a case of midwifery, he sent on his son to see Mary Bird, who found her better, but that a child in the house was dead, from a burn. Dr. Jones said he had never heard of the accident, nor had any knowledge that the child was ill, until his son returned. He had examined the body that morning, and found some severe bruises and abrasions on the forehead and temple, which might have come by the child's striking her head against the cradle. There was a severe burn on the back of the right thigh and calf of the leg, and the bowels were also discoloured. His opinion was that the child had died from the shock of the system occasioned by the scald; and that she must have also had an attack of inflammations of the bowels.—The jury, after hearing the evidence and the remarks of the Coroner upon it, thought the mother ought to have taken care to see that her message to Dr. Jones was sent by a trustworthy person, and returned a verdict—of "Accidental Death from a scald; but the jury that the mother was blamable, but not intentionally neglectful." The Coroner, in compliance with the wishes of the jury, administered a reproof to Grace Bird, the mother, for her negligence.

North Devon Journal, Thursday, 23 October 1873

YARNSCOMBE.—A Matter for Enquiry.—Several of our readers, no doubt, are aware that Mr. William Egglestone has visited some of the towns and villages in their neighbourhood, entertaining school children and others with his Magic Lantern and Ventriloquism. Mr. Egglestone applied to the Rev. H.J. Dixon, the Vicar of this parish, who by a Deed of Trust has the control over the school premises, for permission to give an entertainment, which was granted. Mr. Dixon and the Schoolmistress considered that such an entertainment would be of a pleasing and intellectual character for the children of the school. Monday evening, Oct. 21st, was fixed for Mr. Egglestone to attend. In the course of the morning of the said day the Schoolmistress, Mrs. Warren, wife of Mr. Warren, of Greylake, wose landlord is Rev. W.C. Loveband, of Pilton, Branstaple, wrote to Mr. Dixon to say that Mr. Loveband had informed her that the entertainment should not take place in the schoolroom. On the arrival in Yarnscombe of Mr. Egglestone, Mr. Dixon gave him a letter to Mr. Warren, saying he might make the necessary preparations for his entertainment. As soon as Mr. Egglestone had commenced preparing the room, Mr. Grigg, of Court Barton, entered it, and among other things told Mr. Egglestone that the entertainment could not take place under any circumstances, adding, "You shall not have the room. Mr. Loveband has expressly forbidden the entertainment." The school children, for whom Mr. Dixon and his family have always shewn every consideration during the time they have been in the parish, were all looking forward with delight to their evening's amusement, and to them it may be imagined the disappointment was great. Much excitement prevailed in the village during the evening, and many remarked were made on the nature of these proceedings. Unfortunately the mere disappointment is not the only grievance, as Mr. Egglestone has been put to some exprese and inconvenience in the matter. Among the names of places Mr. Egglestone has visited, and where the entertainment has been in the schoolroom, presided over by the clergyman, the following can be mentioned—Tawstock, Hartland, Huntshaw, Whitstone, Sidbury, Parracombe, Abbotsham, Chittlehamhold, Wear Gifford, West Buckland, East Budleigh, Mortheo, Westleigh, Bratton Fleming, and others.

Trewman's Exeter Flying Post, Wednesday, March 14, 1877

TORRINGTON. Divisional Petty Sessions.—Thomas Yeo, of Yarnscombe, was charged with killing a hare whilst it was sitting in a field occupied by Mr. G. Pethebridge, at Alverdiscott, on the 6th ult. Defendant admitted the charge.—Mr. Pethebridge informed the Bench that he had asked him to return the hare and make an apology, but he refused to do either, and he therefore took out the summons. He did not wish to press for a heavy penalty, his object was to let the defendant known he had done a wrong act. The Bench imposed a fine of £2 10s. (hald the penalty), and 15s. costs.

North Devon Journal, Thursday, 23 May 1878

YARNSCOMBE. An alarming accident happened to the Rev. H.J. Dixon and his daughter, Miss A. Dixon, on Friday morning. As Mr. Dixon was descending Ley Hill, about 11 o'clock, with his horse and carriage, the drag being on one wheel and the horse walking, a horse and cart overtook him, driven by John Oatway, a man over 80 years of age, who was sitting on the wrong side of the cart for driving. Mrs. Thomas Oatway, of Ley, being on the right side for driving. Although Mr. Dixon's carriage was close to the left side, giving ample room for the market cart to pass, there being over five feet to spare on the right side of the road, John Oatway drove into the carriage, turning it bottom uppermost, and smashing it. Miss. A. Dixon was thrown out, and how she escaped unhurt was a miracle. After the accident the parties in the market cart proceeded down the hill towards Barnstaple, although there were two females in the cart, without offering any assistance, until Mr. Dixon went down the hill and called out to them, "Are you savages?" when Mrs. Oatway stopped the cart, and came back to the place of the accident.

North Devon Journal, Thursday, November 28, 1878

DEATH OF AN ILLEGITIMATE CHILD.—NEGLECT OF THE MOTHER AND HORRIBLE WICKEDNESS.—An inquest was held at the Hunter's Inn, in this parish, on Wednesday (yesterday), before John Henry Toller, Esq., on of the coroners for the county, and a respectable jury, on view of the body of Eliza Pethebridge, aged three years and ten months, daughter of Maria Pethebridge, single woman, who lives in the house of her brother, Emanual Pethebridge, labourer.—The first witness was Elizabeth Ballment, wife of the county policeman stationed in the village, who deposed that she knew the deceased very well, who was a healthy and well-nourished child, and did not appear to want for anything. On the evening of Friday last the child's mother came to her and told her the child was ill, and asked her to call and see her, which she did about five o'clock the same evening, and found the deceased in the arms of the mother's brother, Emanuel Pethebridge, who was nursing her by the fire. The child was dressed, but appeared very ill, and witness persuaded the mother to send for the doctor. She did not remember whether Emanuel Pethebridge made any reply, but the mother said she did not know how she would get the doctor, as she had no one to send for him. Witness saw that the child had the measles, and thought they were "going back." Had been in the habit of seeing the child daily, but not since she had had the measles, and had never heard that the mother ill-treated her in any way.—Dr. John Day Jones, physician and surgeon, of Torrington, who is the parish doctor of Yarnscombe, deposed that about half-past eight o'clock on the morning of last Saturday, the 23rd, Emanuel Pethebridge came to his house with an order from Mr. Thorne, the overseer, to give attendance to the children of Maria Pethebridge, sick with measels. He asked the man how long the children had been ill, and why he had not been sent for before; and he replied that they had been ill for a week, but the mother did not think it necessary to have the doctor. He went as soon as he could, and arrived at Yarnscombe between nine and ten o'clock. When he came to the house he found the child was dead. He saw on the body a few faint marks which resembled measles. Asked the mother why she had not sent for him earlier as he was the parish doctor, and she answered that "she knew nothing about the parish doctor," and that it was a long way to send. He told her is was a case of great neglect, and that he should not give a certificate to bury the corpse. Death had resulted from inflammation arising from partially suppressed measles. The child was well nourished, and appear to have been properley taken care of. Of course he could not say the child would have lived if he had been called in earlier, but she would have had a great chance of living.—The mother, Maria Pethebridge gave evidence that the deceased was her base child. She was taken ill on Saturday the 16th, but witness thought that she was sickening for the measles, and that a doctor was not necessary. Her neighbours told her that other children in the village had recovered from measles without the doctor, and they did not see why hers should not. The child went on from day to day, sometimes better and sometimes worse, until Friday evening, when she seemed to get worse, and witness went to the first witness (Mrs. Ballment) and asked her to come and see her, which she did. Mrs. Ballment said the child was very ill, when the witness rose up and said she would go for a doctor, but Mrs. Ballment said she would leave it until the morning. The child seemed afterwards to get a little better, but at about four o'clock next morning she became much worse, and at witness's request her brother, Emanuel Pethebridge, got up at five o'clock and went for the doctor, but at nine o'clock, before the doctor arrived, the child died.—Having heard the evidence, the jury returned a verdict that deceased had died from measles, and that the mother was neglectful in not having medical assistance earlier.—In announcing the verdict to her, the Coroner severely rebuked her for her neglect of her child; and said also that, although it was not within his province officially, he considered it a duty he owed to the public to censure her for living in the disreputable way she was known to be.—The only reply of the woman was that she did not care what people said of her.—The allusion made in the latter remark of the coroner was to the horrible fact that the woman and her brother are, and for many years have been, living together as man and wife, and that several children, some dead and some living, have been born of this incestuous intercourse!

Trewman's Exeter Flying Post, Wednesday, September 3, 1879

DEATHS. August 27, at North Church, Yarnscombe, Elizabeth, wife of Mr. J. Kerslake, aged 63.

North Devon Journal, Thursday, July 12, 1888

YARNSCOMBE.—The Parish Church of Yarnscombe is in a deplorable state. In view of its restoration, a committee has been formed, the members of which are the Hon. Mark Rolle, the Rev M T Loveband, the churchwardens (Messrs Oatway and Thorne), and the Vicar (the Rev J B Singleton). An amount of above £300 is secured by the landowners and by local and other sources, but more than twice that sum is needed to effect a complete restoration. An appeal for kind help is being earnestly mad by the Committee to all who are interested in the old church, or who may be desirous to advance so good and necessary a work. The smallest contribution will be gratefully received by members of the Restoration Committee, or subscriptions may be paid to the "Yarnscombe Church Restoration Fund," at the National Provincial Bank of Torrington.

Trewman's Exeter Flying Post, Thursday, March 21, 1889

MARRIAGES. March 12, at the Bible Christian Chapel, Torrington, Mr. R.O. Bolt, of Yarnscombe, to Eliza L. Andrew, of Torrington.

North Devon Journal, Thursday, 1 Oct 1881

ACCIDENTALLY DROWNED.—An inquest touching the death of a little boy named John Macey, aged 2, son of a farm labourer, who had been accidentally drowned by falling in a stream, was held at Buck's Mills, in the parish of Yarnscombe, before the County Coroner, J. F. Bromham, Esq., on Monday —Jessie Ann Macey, mother of the deceased, said the deceased was her infant child. The lad was outside her house playing with two or three ohter children on Sunday, about two o'clock. Half-an-hour after this she was informed by a little girl that her son had fallen into a stream, which was close by. The body was recovered by Mr. John Ward and others —Bertha Brown, a little girl, stated that she saw the deceased fall into the water but could not reach the deceased; and promptly ran to his parents' house. —Mr. John Ward, miller, gave evidence to recovering the body. It was in two feet of water. The child was on its back. —The jury returned a verdict to the effect that deceased was accidentally drowned by falling into the stream.

Trewman's Exeter Flying Post, April 20, 1895

BARNSTAPLE. While witnessing the annual parade of entire horses in Castle-street, Barnstaple, yesterday, Mr. Thomas Richards, of Lower Delworthy, Yarnscombe, who is 85 years of age, was kicked by one of the animals. He was taken to the North Devon Infirmary, where it was found that he had received a fracture to one or two of his left ribs, and that his left arm was broken below the elbow. His condition at the time was very serious indeed. He has, however, since taken a turn for the better, and at noon today was progressing favourably.

North Devon Journal, Thursday, March 31, 1898

A daughter, 3½ years of age, of Mr. W.H. Jeffery, miller, of Yarnscombe, North Devon, died on Sunday evening as the result of burns. The father and mother went to Barnstaple Market on Friday, leaving their two children in the care of a servant. During the day she left the house to fill the mill, being absent about five minutes. On returning she met one of the children in the doorway with her clothes on fire. She tried to beat out the flames, but could not succeed, and she then fetched a bucketful of water from the mill-stream and put out the fire. She was taken to Barnstaple, where the wounds were dressed by Mr. A.W. Lemarchand. The mother then went with her to Blakewell Mills, the home of the grandfather of the child, where it died on Sunday evening. An inquest was held on Tuesday by Mr. Coroner Bromham, and a verdict of "Accidental death by injuries sustained by falling into the fire" was returned.