White's History, Gazetteer and Directory of the County of Devon, 1878

White's History, Gazetteer and Directory
of the County of Devon, 1878

TAWSTOCK, a parish and pleasant scattered village, separated from Barnstaple by the river Taw, has two Railway Stations, and is in Barnstaple union, archdeaconry, rural deanery, and county court district, Braunton petty sessional division, Barnstaple polling district of North Devon, and Fremington hundred. The parish, which had 1109 inhabitants (620 males, 579 females) in 1871, living in 247 houses; it comprises 6582 acres of land, includes the neighbouring hamlets of East Combe, West Combe, Hiscott, Chapeltoten, St. Johns Chapel, and Harracott Lake, and the farms called Bridgetown, Collibear, Linscott, Charlacott, Uppacott, &c., &c., extending to 5½ miles S. of Barnstaple. The Barnstaple Junction Station on the London and South Western Railway is in this parish; and at Chapeltown is another station on the branch from Exeter to Barnstaple. There is not a single public house in this parish, the refreshment rooms at the stations being the only licensed places. The manor was successively held by the Brewer, Tracey, Martyn, Audley, Fitzwarren, Hankford, and Bourchier families. The eldest daughter of Edward Bourchier, Esq., Earl of Bath, carried it in marriage to Sir Christopher Wrey, who was created a baronet in 1628. It now belongs to Sir Bourchier Palk Wrey, Bart., whose seat, TAWSTOCK COURT, is now occupied by George Henry Pinckney, Esq. TAWSTOCK COURT is a large and handsome mansion, delightfully situated in an extensive and well-wooded park, on the western side of the river Taw, 2½ miles S. of Barnstaple, near the Taw Vale Railway. The house was nearly burnt down in 1787, but was soon afterwards rebuilt from a design by the late Sir B. Wrey. An ancient gateway dated 1574 is all that remains of the old mansion of the Bourchiers. The park is rich in beautiful scenery and fine ancient oaks, and the high grounds command extensive views over the bay and town of Barnstaple. Lord Allington is lord of the manor of Templeton. The CHURCH (St Peter) is a fine Gothic structure, consisting of nave, chancel, aisles, and a tower rising from the centre. About 12 years ago the nave was re-seated at an outlay of £1000; the chancel re-roofed and other repairs effected by the rector at an additional cost of £350. In the church are monuments of the Bourchiers and Wreys. The rectory, valued in K.B. at £69 12s. 1d., is in the patronage of Sir B. P. Wrey, and incumbency of the Rev. H. B. Wrey, M.A., who has 112 acres of glebe surrounding the rectory house. The tithes are commuted at £930. The CHAPEL OF EASE at Harracott (Holy Trinity) was erected in 1842, in the Perpendicular style, and consists of nave, chancel, vestry on south side, and bell turret at the west end for one bell. There ia a gallery at the west end, and the chapel contains 250 sittings, all of which are free save 12 in the chancel. The Rev. W. F. Newman, M.A., one of the rector's curates, officiates here. At Tawstock is a CHURCH OF ENGLAND SCHOOL, supported partly by voluntary rate, and attended by 85 children. HARRACOTT CHURCH SCHOOL was built about 1861, and is attended by 62 children. The BAPTISTS have chapels at Eastcombe and Hiscott; and the BIBLE CHRISTIANS at Chapeltown and Hiscott. The Poor's Lands, purchased with the benefactions of various donors, now comprise 22 acres of land at Collibear, let for £28; 3 acres and a cottage at Great Torrington, let for £17; and 28A., 3R., 27P. at Pen Hill, Fremington, let for £43, making a total of £88. The poor have also a rentcharge of £12 a year out of Hollowmoor, given by Sir B. P. Wrey in exchange for some old poor's land; the interest of £601 11s. 8d. Three per Cent. Consols, derived from the sale of about 4 acres of land to the Railway Company; and £120 left by Margaret Payne and another donor; the interest of £100 derived from the sale of two poll deeds invested with the waywardens at 4 per cent.; and two rent-charges of 13s. 4d. and 6s. 8d., left by Lawrence Gibbs.

POST OFFICE at Mr. John Ridd's. Letters are despatched at 5.10 p.m. to Barnstaple, which is the nearest Money Order Office and Railway Station. There is a receiving house at Mr. George Sloman's, Chapeltown.

Andrew Geo. farmer, Chapeltown
Andrew Philip, farmer, Parkgate
Baker John, farmer, Smemington
Beer Geo. fruit grower, Hiscott down
Beer Jno. basket mkr. Lower Bolleston
Berry Saml. farmer, Kaddiscott
Bowden Jas. frmr. Roundswell
Brayley Mrs Sarah, laundress, Lake
Cann John, farmer, Hiscott
Carter James, farmer, Coombe
Cawsey Robert, grocer, Chapeltown
Chudley Wm. bootmaker, Newbridge
Cook Captain Charles, Rolleston
Coop Geo. farmer, Hillside farm
Davey Wm. station mstr. Chapeltown
Denford Thos. com miller, Chapeltown
Dennis John, farmer, Sticklepath
Dobbs John, farmer, Collibear
Dullam John, farmer, Hale
Dunn James, blacksmith, Lake
Dunn Saml. blacksmith, Harracott
Farr Alfred, travelling draper, Lake
Fisher Thos. farmer, Roundswell
Gaydon Mr Henry, Stoneyland
Goss Chas. farmer, Birbrook
Goss Richard, farmer, Birbrook
Grose Miss Elizabeth Ann, schoolmistress, Harracott
Haden John, carpenter, Hiscott
Hill Richard, mason and builder
Hill Richd. road contractor, Harepie
Joce Peter, farmer, Charlacott
Joce Robert, farmer, Harracott
Jones Edmd. watchmaker's frmn. Lake
Jones Wm. Henry, former, Hildrew
Joslin James, bootmaker, Lake
Joslyn William, farmer, Fishley
Kersley Thos, frmr. & carpenter, Venn
Langdon John Hy. frmr. Bridgetown
Lemon John, farmer, Smemington
Lewis Edwin, tailor and draper, St. John's Chapel
Lewis Geo. btrukr. St. John's Chapel
Lewis Mrs Mary Ann, St. John'sChapel
Longman Robert, farmer, Tinacott
Lovering John Dennis, fmr Lr. Week
Madge Mrs Elizabeth, shopkeeper
Martin Thomas, carpenter, Hiscott
May John, farmer, Harracott
May John, jun. farmer, Harracott
Mills Edward, bootmaker, Stoneyland
Moore John, farmer, Higher Week
Newcombe William, road contractor, Lower Rolleston
Newman Chas. school mstr. Hollywell
Newman Rev William Frederick, M.A. curate, Harracott parsonage
Oatway Henry, farmer, Swannamore
Oatway William, assistant overseer, Swannamore
Packer Richard, farmer, Herton
Page George, farmer, Harracott
Pearce James, farmer, Murze
Petherbridge Mr Richard, Pill
Pinckney Mr George Hy. Tawstock ct
Ridd John, bootmaker & postmaster
Ridd Miss Mary Frances, Roman Catholic school mistress, Barnstaple; h Western lodge
Ridge Allen, crpntr. St. John's Chapel
Ridge James, farmer, Charlacott
Ridge John, carpenter, Stoneyland
Robins George, farmer, Westcombe
Seaton Rev William, B.A. curate, Westcombe
Shapland John, farmer, Westcombe
Sloman George, blacksmith and postmaster, Chapel town
Smallridge Samuel, farmer, Uppacott
Smallridge Thomas, farmer, Collibear
Smerdon Thomas, tailor, Smemington
Symons Abel, farmer, Uppacott
Symons Elijah, farmer, Uppacott
Symons Mrs Mary, farmer, Linscott
Symons Noah, farmer, Newbridge
Symons Thos. blacksmith, Eastcombe
Taylor Mrs, Yelland
Trickey Albert, farmer, Hollowmoor
Vanstone John, farmer, Pristacott
Vanstone William, farmer, Linstone
Vellacott William Humphrey, farmer, Pristacott
Vodden Henry, farmer, Linscott
Walters Mr George, Sticklepath cot
Ware Mr John, Hollowmoor
Ware William Pearce, boarding school, Eastcombe house
Weeks Richard, cattle dealer, Hiscott
White George, farmer, Natson
Widlake —, farmer, Hiscott
Widlake Richard, shopkeeper, Hiscott
Wollacott Henry, farmer, Sideham
Wrey Rev Henry Bourchier, M.A., J.P. rector, Corffe house
Yeo William, grocer, &c. Barnstaple, h Sticklepath cottage
Youatt Caleb, farmer, Hollick
Young John, carpenter and wheelwright, St. John's Chapel
Young William, carpenter, Eastcombe

Railway—Chapletown; Wm. Davey station master