Extracts from Devon Newspapers

Extracts from Devon Newspapers

North Devon Journal, Thursday, July 31, 1828

On Thursday last an Inquest was held at Woolley Lodge in the parish of St. Giles, before Francis Kingdon, Esq. Coroner, on the body of William Folland, a child of about the age of two years and a quarter, who in endeavouring to cross a bridge over the stream there, in the absence of his parents, fell into the water and was drowned. Verdict, Accidental Death.

Exeter and Plymouth Gazette, Saturday, September 26, 1829

     An inquest was held on Sunday last at Stevenstone, the seat of the Right Hon. Lord Rolle, before Francis Kingdon, Esq. one of the Coroners for the county, on the body of new-born male infant, which had been found in a charcoal house near the kitchen at Stevenstone. Before the finding of the body strong suspicions were entertained in his Lordship's household that the cook, named Ann Smith, had been delivered of a child, and on Sunday morning, Mr. Caddy, surgeon, of Great Torrington, was sent for, when the girl being closely interrogated confessed that she had, but she had been in the family way only four or five months, and had thrown it into the water-closet; this place was immediately searched but no child was found. A general search was then made by direction of Lord Rolle, and about 10 o'clock in the morning a full-grown male child was found in the place above described, wrapped in a gown belonging to the cook. The body was immediately examined by Mr. Caddy, who found a wound about one inch in length and about two inches in depth, on the left side of the lower part of the neck, an appearance of a ligature or cord having been tied round the neck, and a fracture of the skull. He opened the body and found, on examining the wound, it had the appearance of being made by a sharp pointed instrument, which had divided the carotid artery; the lungs he found in a healthy state; they had been inflated; he was therefore decidedly of opinion the child had been born alive. On dividing the scalp, there was some coagulated blood on the skull, and a fracture on the upper part of the left parietal bone about an inch in length. Mr. C. thought the death of the child was occasioned by the wound in the neck.
     Anna Plimsole, who had slept with the girl Smith on Saturday night, deposed that on the following morning at about 2 o'clock, she heard her get out of bed, and enquired what was the matter: she answered, "nothing," and returned to bed, but about 3 o'clock left the room with a candle, and did not come out till about 4, when she appeared in pain, and held the bedstead with her hands. Witness again enquired what was the matter, and Ann Smith said she had been dreaming. About half-past six in the morning witness asked her if she had not been sick; she answered, "yes," and then desired her to tell the kitchen-maid to send her a bucket of warm water, which was not done, but she mentioned the circumstance to the housekeeper, who acquainted Lord and Lady Rolle.—The Jury returned a verdict of Wilful Murder against Ann Smith, and a warrant was issued for her commitment to the Devon County Gaol, but its execution is stayed till the prisoner shall be in a proper condition to be removed. She is about 25 years of age, and left the service of Earl Howe for that of Lord Rolle in April last. No suspicion was entertained of the situation she was in till a day or two preceding the birth of her unfortunate infant. She has not confessed who is the father of the child, but says it is some person in London, by whom she had another child two years ago.

North Devon Journal, Thursday, March 25, 1830

     On Tuesday morning the Judge proceeded to the Castle, when Ann Smith was indicted for having, on the 20th of September last, at the parish of St. Giles-in-the-Wood, murdered a male child, of which she had been then and there delivered. There were several counts in the indictment charging the prisoner with having committed the crime in different ways, viz: by strangulation, by the infliction of a wound, &c. according to certain marks on the body of the child. The prisoner, who was decently attired, pleaded Not Guilty.      Mr. Erskine stated the case to the jury with great eloquence and feeling, and called several witnesses to speak to the facts.      Susannah Grimstone, a dwarf, in the service of Lord Rolle, stated, that the prisoner slept in the same room with witness, and in consequence of what she had seen witness watched her. On the moring of the 20th prisoner disturbed her about two o'clock, and went out of bed to a box in the room, from which she took some things and went down stairs; during which time witness fell a sleep, but was again awoke by the prisoner, who returned in great agony, and grasped the bed-posts in the excess of her sufferings as she was getting into bed. She afterwards told the housekeeper what she had seen.      Elizabeth Denslow, the housekeeper, stated that she went to prisoner in consequence of what the last witness had told her, and asked her how she was; she complained of having been poorly, but said she should get up, though pressed not to do so by witness; she did not, however, get up, and in consequence of what she saw in the water closet, where the prisoner had been on her visit down stairs, she got a pail of hot water to wash out the traces of blood which were still on the floor; she then sent for a surgeon.      Edmund Herring Caddy, surgeon, deposed that he visited the prisoner on the norming of the 20th of Decr. last, when he found her in bed, exhibiting all appearance of having then been very recently delivered of a child which he had reason to believe was full grown. He felt her stomach, and found also that the uterus was not closed. Subsequently a male child was brought to him, which had a wound in the throat that separated the jugular vein and which must have caused death had the child been alive; there was also a livid mark round the neck, which had the appearance of strangulation, but which he admitted might have been caused by the entanglement of the umbilical cord, in the severing of which it was pssible the wound above-mentioned had been inflicted. He had tried the lungs in water—the usual test to which they are put to ascertain whether or not the child had been born alive—and they flated; but though he was fully of opinion that the child had breathed, yet he could not take upon himself to swear that it was born alive. He found the umbilical cord in the water closet.      John Hooper, a labouring man, deposed to finding the body of a child in a charcoal house, wrapt in an old cotton which was bery blooding, and placed in a stone trough, which was formerly used for salting meat.      There being no positive proof that the child had been born alive, and consequently no substantiation of the charge of murder, a verdict of not guilty of maurder, but guilty of concealing the birth was returned, and the Court commented on the very suspicious conduct of the prisoner, and sentenced her to two years imprisonment and hard labour.

Exeter Flying Post, Wednesday, January 22, 1845

FIRE.—On Saturday evening, about 7 o'clock, a fire was discovered in the farm-house of Flavill's, at Kingscott, in St. Giles, occupied by Messrs. Robt. and Wm. Vodden, and so rapid were the ravages of the devouring element, that the children, who had just been put to bed, were removed in a state of nudity not long before the roof (which was of thatch) fell in, when the whole building became mass of fire. It is fortunate it was discovered so early, as had it happened later, when the whole family were retired to rest, the consequences might have been most awful. There being plenty of assistance at hand, aided by the quantity of rain which fell during the day and night previous, prevented its extension to the adjoining buildings, but we are sorry to find that the Messrs. Vodden have sustained a great loss, by the injury done to their goods in its removal from the scene of destruction.

Exeter and Plymouth Gazette, Friday, June 13, 1845

Stevenstone, the ancient seat of the late Lord Rolle, is now undergoing considerable repairs, order of the Trustees of the late Lord. The interior of this fine mansion, and the noble stabling are to be thoroughly put order, as well as new stabling erected, and the outlay will be considerable. The splendid Park and Gardens are fine order, the former abounding with noble Deer.

North Devon Journal, Thursday, May 10, 1848

May 4.—Before the Rev. Peter Glubb. Richard Hill and Matthew Copp, of St. Giles in the Wood, were charged with breaking into the barn of Mr. Robert Squire, of Dodscott Farm, in the same parish, and stealing a quantify of wheat. On the night of the 2nd inst., one of Mr. Squire's servants heard a noise and went down to ascertain the cause, when he observed a light in the barn, where they found the prisoners, having two bags partly filled with wheat, who ran off; they pursued them and succeeded in taking Copp, and Hill was apprehended the next day by William Cole, a constable of Great Torrington. They were both committed for trial at the next General Sessions.

Trewman's Exeter Flying Post, Thursday, October 18, 1848

POULTRY STEALING.—On the night of Saturday last, Mr. Wm. Goss, St. Giles, lost 16 ducks, and the same night Mr. Wm. Tanton, of the same parish, lost 30 fowls, the thieves in each instance escaping with their booty; but it is hoped from the measures adopting, they may be detected and brought to justice.

On Saturday last, at the Magistrates' office, before the Rev. Peter Glubb, G.L. Coham and Hy. Hole, Esqrs., Samuel Judd, of the parish of St. Giles, was brought up in custody charged with being found trespassing the night time with nets and wires for the purpose of killing game on the lands of J.H. Furse, Esq., in the parish of Yarnscombe. John Moore, the gamekeeper, stated that he was out watching and heard a hare cry and ran in the direction of the sound, and found the prisoner taking a hare out of this wire, there was another person there who made his escape, on searching him he found another hare and a net in his pocket; the prisoner, who said nothing in his defence, was committed to the House of Correction for three calendar months, and at the expiration of that period to find sureties not to offend again for the next twelve months, and in default to be further imprisioned for six months.

North Devon Journal, Thursday, December 13, 1848

ST. GILES.—Disgraceful Robbery.—On Saturday morning last, between one and two o'clock, Mr. Clarke of Dodscott Farm in the parish of St. Giles, near Torrington, was awoke by a noise which appeared to him to come from his stables; and imagining that there was something amiss with the horses, he got up and went to the bedroom of his man-servant, but was surprised to find that he was not there; he thereupon called his son, with who he hurried downstairs, and in the yard they saw from a crevice in the wall a light in the barn (the parties had pushed in shraw to prevent the light from being seen, and it was only a very faint glimmer that was detected): they went towards the barn, and there saw two men, who at first they thought from their movements to be playing cards, but whom, on closer inspection, they found to be employed in shovelling up a guantity of wheat into a bag, having previously winnowed it; they watched outside, and within a few few minutes one of the men, who turned out to be Mr. Clarke's servant, came out of the barn with the sieve in his hand, with which he was going to the stable, when his master caught hold of him, and took him back to the barn, where his companion proved to be a labourer to whom Mr. Clarke had shown great kindness, and who had been in his employ for many years when he could get work no where else. The servant man also was a favourite with his master, had served his apprenticeship with him, and had afterwards lived with him, a period altogether of 13 years. The scoundrels both contrived to escape from their master, who, however, as soon as day broke, alarmed the neighbourhood; and Mr. Braginton and others having turned out all their hands in the search, the men were found secreted in a wood, and were immediately removed to Torrington in custody, and being examined before Sir Trevor Wheler, Bart., and the Rev. Peter Glubb, they were fully committed to take their trial at the approaching sessions for the county. Great execration was excited towards the prisoners, both of who were under perculiar obligations to protect instead of plundering their master and employer. It is remarkable that in several instances lately of robbery of farm property, the delinquents have turned out to be, not men in want, but persons in constant employ, and in the service of the very men whose confidence they have abused by plundering them.

North Devon Journal, Thursday, May 31, 1849

ACCIDENT.—On Saturday last, as Thomas Kelly, a farm apprentice to Mr. William Vodden, of St. Giles, was returning with a horse and cart from North Tawton, where he had been with bark in company with others, just as they lef t that place Kelly got off his cart to take up the back chain, which was dragging on the ground, when in doing so it is supposed that he fell under the wheel, which passed over his left arm. He, however, contrived to continue reach home, a distance of some 12 or 14 miles, without mentioning the accident until the next morning, when he complained of pain in his arm, which on being examined was found to be broken, nearly twenty hours having elapsed since the accident.
Trewman's Exeter Flying Post, Thursday, January 10, 1850
DEATHS. January 1, at St. Giles, aged 47, Mr. Thomas Hill, carpenter, many years in the employ of the late Lord Rolle and Trustees, at Stevenstone.

Trewman's Exeter Flying Post, Thursday, October 24, 1850

CAUTION.—On Saturday, at the Town Hall, before the Rev. P. Glubb, Sir. T. Wheler, and J.H. Furse, esq., three youngsters from the parish of St. Giles were summoned for trespassing in Stevenstone Park, after walnuts and chesnuts, a practice which has been much indulged in, notwithstanding the precautions taken to prevent such unlawful proceedings. To effectually suppress it, it has been found necessary for magisterial interference : one was discharged on account of his youth and friendless situation, the other two were fined seven shillings and sixpence each, including all expenses, with a suitable admonition from the Bench, and a promise on the part of the boys not so to offend again. This and the case of three others who were before the Bench the preceding Saturday for a similar offence, and fined fifteen shillings each, will, it is hoped, operate as a caution to them, and a warning to all in future.

North Devon Journal, Thursday, November 26, 1851

On Saturday, at Mr. Glubb's office, Joseph Sussex and Eliza Sussex were brought before the Rev. Peter Glubb, charged with stealing wood from Hearn's wood, in St. Giles, the property of the late Lord Rolle's trustees. From the numerous depredations of this sort, a man of the name of George Cann was placed to watch, and saw the two prisoners bind up and carry away a large bundle each, of the tops, &c., of some fir poles that had lately been cut there by the direction of the trustees. In consequence of the wood having been previously severed, and the offence clearly proved and admitted by the prisoners, the worthy magistrate had no alternative but to commit them for trial, but had the prisoners gone and cut wood of a much greater value, a fine not exceeding £5, with the amount of damage, as the case may appear to deserve, might have been imposed.

North Devon Journal, Thursday, February 13, 1851

Felonies.—On Thursday, at the magistrates' office, before the Rev. Peter Glubb, Richard Hill, a shoemaker by trade, of dishonest habits and a very depraved character, well known in connexion with police matters, having often been in "limbo," and who had been remanded on a charge of stealing six fowls from Mr. Matthew Cock, of St. Giles, on the night of Friday the 24th ult., was this day fully committed to take his trial at the next general sessions for that offence. It appeared that Mr. Cock (being parish constable) obtained a search warrant the morning after the robberty, which utlimately led to the recovery of all the fowls (alive), three of them on Hill's premises, who said that Richard Bird (another well-known thief) had brought them there; and the other three fowls on Bird's premises. But although the fowls were found, the "old Bird" had flown, and has not been since heard of.—On the information of Mr. Joseph Hodges, park and gamekeeper at Stevenstone, Richard Hill was also further committed for trial, on a charge of stealing wood from Dodscott Wood, in St. Giles, belonging to the trustees of the late Lord Rolle.

Exeter Flying Post, Thursday, March 25, 1852

FIRE.—On Friday last a fire broke out in a workshop of Mr. Robert Vodden, wheelwright, at Kingscott, in St. Giles. The building was consumed, and outhouses, adjoining much injured, besides a great deal of timber, and nearly all his tools were destroyed. The damage done is a loss of £50 to Mr. Vodden.

North Devon Journal, Thursday, April 15, 1852

FIRE.—On Thursday morning an alarm was raised of fire in some cottages at Leighty Water, in St. Gile's about a mile and half from this town. The powerful engine was immediately dispatched thither, when it was found to proceed from an old chimney, of very imperfect and insecure construction. A supply of water being obtained from a brook near, with plenty of assistance, the fire was speedily got under, and to prevent further damage the chimney was razed to the ground; fortunately the cottages were covered with slate instead of thatch, and thus escaped destruction. The premises belong to Mr. Wm. Goss, and are insured in the West of England Office.

North Devon Journal, Thursday, July 28, 1852

On Monday the bells of Torrington and St. Giles, rung merrily on the occasion of the Hon. Mr. Rolle, heir to the late Lord Rolle, taking up his residence at Stevenstone, which auspicious event is hailed with much joy by the surrounding neighbourhood.

North Devon Journal, Thursday, September 30, 1852

BURGLARY AND ROBBERIES.—On the night of Saturday or morning of Sunday last, the house of Mr. R. Squire, Dodscott Farm, in St. Giles, was broken into, and a watch, a gun, and a quantity of clothing and provisions stolen. It is but a fortnight since Mr. Strange had a wether sheep stolen from his farm, in Ringsash, when the head and skin were left behind, and near the farm house occupied by a labourer; and at the same time several other robberies were perpetrated in that vicinity; one person lost two butts of bees, and some ducks and fowls were stolen from two persons living near.

North Devon Journal, Thursday, October 7, 1852

BURGLARY.—A man by the name of Landor was brought before the Rev. Peter Glubb, at Little Torrington, charged with breaking into the house of Mr. Squire, at St. Giles, last week, by night, and stealing therefrom a watch and various other articles. It appeared that Landor had formerly been a servant of Mr. Squire, and had been dismissed for bad conduct.—There being no sufficient evidence adduced to justify his detention, he was discharged with a caution. Mr. Kingdon appeared to watch the case for the prisoner.

North Devon Journal, Thursday, November 11, 1852

THE LATE BURGLARY AT ST. GILES.—On Friday, November 5th, before the Rev. Peter Glubb, William Lauder, and William Symons were brought up, in custody of Police Officer Cole, charged with breaking into and entering the dwelling house of Mr. Robert Squire, at Dodscott, on the night of the 26th September last, and stealing a watch, gun, and various other articles. Mr. Squire stated that he and his family retired to rest about 11 o'clock on the above night, and the morning following found that his house had been broken open and the gun and watch taken from a chest of drawers, in the bedroon, and the contents of the pockets of a pair of trousers that were on a bed in which three lads were sleeping. He immediately gave information to Cole, of Torrington, who went to Dodscott, and traced the footsteps of two persons near the house, and has since succeeded in tracing some of the property. On Monday week last he apprehended the two prisoners. He found Lauder's boots corresponded with the footsteps he had seen near the premises. A piece of gun barrel which had been cut off, was identified by Mr. Heard, gunsmith, of Beaford, as belonging to a gun he had repaired for Mr. Squire. Mr. Hamley, gunsmith, of Tavistock, swore that Lauder, was the man who brought the gun to him to have the piece cut off. A shirt was also found at Hatherleigh, in the possession of Symons, and identified by Mr. Squire's servant girl, as her master's property. The prisoners, who said nothing in their defence, were committed to take their trial at the next assizes. This riddance will be a boon to the neighbourhood.

North Devon Journal, Thursday, March 24, 1853

BURGLARY.—The workshop of Mr. Thomas Ashplant, of the parish of St. Giles, was feloniously entered on the night of Saturday last, and the whole of his stock of leather and also a quantity of boots and shoes stolen therefrom, worth upwards of £10. The rogues got clear off with their booty, and no clue has yet been found to trace the offenders. Cole, our active police officer, has been out, and has some hopes that he will ere long find out the offenders.

North Devon Journal, Thursday, March 9, 1854

Richard Hill (54), shoemaker, was charged with stealing, at St. Giles-in-the-Wood, on the 17th of February, one oak pole and two ash trees, the property of the Trustees of the late Lord Rolle. The prisoner was found quilty, and, having been convicted on a former occasion for a similar offence, was sentenced to 12 months' imprisonment, with hard labour.

Trewman's Exeter Flying Post, Thursday, July 27, 1854

STEVENSTONE.—The bell of St. Giles and Great Torrington rang merrily on Monday, on occasion of the occupation of this fine old baronial mansionn, for the summer season, by the right hon. Lord Clinton's family and the hon. Mark Rolle.

ST. GILES.—On the night of the 15th instant, the poultry yard of Mr. John Hooper, Winscot Barton, was broken into, and from 20 to 30 head of poultry, comprising ducks and fowls, were stolen therefrom. Mr. Hooper offered a reward of two guineas for the detection of the thieves, who are at present undiscovered.

North Devon Journal, Thursday, August 3, 1854

TORRINGTON. An Upset.—On Sunday afternoon, as Mr. Robert Vodden and his wife, who reside at Kingscot, in the parish of St. Giles, were driving to Torrington with a horse and cart, the animal ran away, and came down Park-hill at a terrible rate. Mrs. Vodden, more rash than wise, jumped out of the flying vehicle, and may think herself fortunate that she escapes with her life, although she has sustained severe injuries of the head. Mr. Vodden remained in the cart until it reached the bottom of the hill, when horse and cart went over, and threw Mr. Vodden, who almost miraculously escaped, with little or no injury. The horse received some thumps for his wild caper, but all are likely to get well out of it.

North Devon Journal, Wednesday, September 27, 1854

THEFT.—William Allen and Maria Allen, his wife, appeared under a charge of stealing, on the 9th inst., one silver teaspoon, the property of Mr. George Shapland, of Whitlesea-Farm, in the parish of St. Giles. About that time the female prisoner came into Torrington, and offered a silver teaspoon for sale to Mr. Gaydon, silversmith. On examining the spoon, he became suspicious that it was not her own, notwithstanding her assertion to the contrary, stating that it was given her be her grandmother. Mr. Gaydon told her he considered it stolen, and that he should detain it in order that inquiries might be made by the police officer for the ownership. The spoon was handed over to P.O. Cole, who, with the instinct of his order for worming out a theft, soon discovered that it had been lost by Mr. Shapland: this was fully proved by the silversmith comparing the detained spoon with the other members of the half-dozen to which it belonged, notwithstanding the precaution they had taken of filing out the initials engraved upon it. The husband is a labourer, and works for Mr. Shapland; and a son of the accused lives in the house. Several falsehoods were told respecting the matter; among them, the husband said that he had picked it up in the road, so "rusty" that he did not know whether it was iron or silver. The was the second of the half-dozen that had walked off. As Mrs. Shapland was in Barnstaple, a necessary point to be proved—when the article was last seen in their possession, required her presence to determine; the case was, therefore, postponed to the next sessions, and the prisoners discharged, on their own recognizances, to appear again at the time appointed.

Trewman's Exeter Flying Post, Thursday, March 8, 1855

FATAL ACCIDENT.—On Saturday night a labouring man of St Giles, named James Isaac, about 44 years of age, while cutting off a limb from a tree, fell to the ground, and was so much injured that several hours elapsed before he was discovered; he was removed to his home, and medical aid obtained, but he expired on Monday morning. An inquest is being held on the body.

North Devon Journal, Thursday, March 18, 1857

THE GAME LAWS AGAIN.—Robert Johns, of Saint Giles-in-the-Wood, an old offender against the game laws, was charged on the information of Vodden, undergamekeeper to the Hon. Mark Rolle, with trespassing on Mount-hill, in the same parish, on Sunday, the 8th instant, in search of game. Vodden was about telling the bench how he saw him set a gin a nine o'clock on the morning in question, when Johns aved him all further trouble by confessing all about it, and beggin forgiveness. The answer to his petition was a demand upon him for £2, including fine and costs, which he was allowed one hour to pay. As the could not be produced, he was sent off to the House of Correction for two months' imprisonment.

North Devon Journal, Thursday, September 18, 1858

TORRINGTON.—On Thursday last, Maria Friend, a married woman, of St. Giles, was brought before the Mayor and Silas Snell, Esq., at the Town Hall, by P.O. Cole, for being found, on the previous day, lying on her back, in a beastly state of intoxication. She was committed to prison for a month.

North Devon Journal, Thursday, January 5, 1859


CHARGE OF ASSAULT.—Michael Sussex and Abraham Isaacs, of St. Giles-in-the-Wood, and William May, of Bideford, were charged by P.C. Sprague, with assaulting and obstructing him on the 27th ult., in the village of St. Giles.—Mr. I. Bencraft appeared for the defendants.—This case arose from a suspicion of too great familiarity between a certain P.C. and the better half of an inhabitant of the parish. On the above day, the village was aroused from its dulness by the enlivening sound of the horn and the crack of the whip. Red coats mounted on horses and a large number of the lovers of the chase turned out, to the great amusement of the villagers, and to complete the pantomine, a man with stag's horns on his head and a sheep skin on his back personified the stag. Off they went and a fine day's sport they had as the evidence of P.C. Sprague will prove. He stated that he was on duty on the above day and saw a man come into the village dressed in diguise, having horns on his head and a sheepskin on his back, his face painted with red and wearing a moustache. On seeing this extraordinatry personage, he stopped him to see who he was, and told him he had better go on, and not to create a disturbance. The defendant, Isaacs, brother to the disguished man, came forward and collared him, and so did the other defendants, and asked him what right he had to stop the man. At the moment about 50 persons passed on shouting in chase.—William Squire, a respecable farmer who was present, was examined for the defence. He said that on Monday, the 27th ult., there was a general holiday in the parish. Between 3 and 4 o'clock in the afternoon he was in the village, and saw a man dressed up as a stag, come over the bars. P.C. Sprague said to him, "Oh John, where are you going;" I saw him also strike the horms of the "stag" with his stick. There three defendants then came on and some altercation took place, and he expected there would have been blows; he saw the defendant Sussex put his fist in the policeman's face.—The Bench dismissed the case.—The announcement was received with great applause by a crowded court.
CHARGE OF DRUNKENNESS.—Thomas Matthews, of Saint Giles, was summoned by P.C. Sprague, for being drunk at Kingscott, in the parish of St. Giles, on the 27th ult. The case is but a supplement to the former. It appeared from the evidence that the defedant had taken a prominent part in the hunt, and acted in capacity of huntsman. After the day's sport was over, he betook himself to the public house at Kingscott to recover his exhausted strength by taking an extra glass of beer. About 9 o'clock at night, P.C. Sprague, P.C. Vallance, and P.C. Hooper were on duty near the public house, when the defendant came out and seeing the three policemen, he made use of strong expressions against them, and then returned back again into the house. Having equipped himself with his red coat and whip, he came out again, and like a true huntsman flourished his whip and ordered "little dogs to go in." The defendant could not free himself from the charge.—The Bench took a lenient view of the case, and only fined him 1s. and 7s. 6d. costs. The amount was soon collected under the Hall and paid for him.

North Devon Journal, Thursday, May 11, 1859

Durnkenness.—William Smith, of Taddyport, Little Torrington, blacksmith, and William Short, of Saint Giles-in-the-Wood, tailor, appeared to answer the charge of being drunk on the night of the 28th ult.,, at Kingscott, in the latter parish, and of assaulting Sergeant Meagher in the execution of his duty. The defendants had been drinking at the 'Rolle Arms,' in Kingscott, to excess. The Sergeant in the exercise of his duty, humanely remonstrated with Short on the impropriety of his conduct, when Smith stepped forward and gave the Sergeant a blow with his fist. He then took him into custody, and received another blow in the head with a stick, and Short took him by the collar.—The Bench fined them 16s. each, including costs.

North Devon Journal, Thursday, May 26, 1859

DRUNKENSESS.—Richard Vodden, of Great Torrington, was charged by Serjeant Meagher with being drunk at Saint-Giles-in-the-Wood, on the 18th inst.—Fined 7s. 6d.—William Clark, of Saint Giles, licensed brewer, was charged by P.C. Delany, with being drunk on the 14th inst., at Saint Giles. The defendant is also a butcher, and had just come home from Torrington market. He denied the charge, and called two witnesses to rebut the evidence of the P.C. and to prove that the charge was false.—The case was dismissed.

North Devon Journal, Thursday, March 14, 1861

Mary Cole and Mary Ann Couch, two young girls residing at Saint Giles in the Wood, were charged for that they, on the 26th ult. at the above parish did steal, take, and carry away a quantity of wood, the property of the Hon. Mark Rolle. (The Hon. gentleman retired from the Bench when this case was called.) The Bench having been informed that Mr. Rolle did not wish to have the charge pressed against the defendants on account of their youth and the trifling nature of the offence, the Chairman gave them a suitable caution and they were discharged on payment of 5s. 6d. the expenses.

North Devon Journal, Thursday, January 29, 1862

LONGEVITY.—On Wednesday, 22nd instant, an old inhabitant of St. Giles in the Wood, named John Bennett, died in that parish, in the 104th year of his age. Deceased was for many years a labourer at Stevenstone, and it is stated that he had for a long time past been treated very kindly by the Hon. Mark. Rolle.

North Devon Journal, Thursday, February 26, 1862

CHARGE OF OBSTRUCTING A HIGHWAY.—Edward Till, Lewis Till, Walter Trick, Charles Wright, William Folland, Alfred Cock, John Couch, jun., and Thomas Couch, all young men of Saint Giles-in-the-Wood, were summoned by Sergeant Reed, charged with playing in the highway in the village of St. Giles, on the 18th instant, to the annoyance of passengers.—The Bench considered that the defendants were guilty of obstructing the highway, and had, therefore, made themselves liable to a penalty of £2; but, hoping they would desist from such conduct in future, they were let off on paying the expenses, £1 5s. between them.

North Devon Journal, Thursday, September 7, 1862

SAD DEATH OF ONE OF THE STEVENSTONE GROOMS.—An inquest was held on Friday last, at St. Giles-in-the-Wood, before John Henry Toller, Esq., deputy-coroner, on the body of James COCKS, a married man, aged 32, who had come to his death through an accident in being thrown from one of his master's horses which was was exercising. It appeared from the evidence of the head groom of the Hon. Mark Rolle, Mr. Stephen Hill, and two other grooms, who were also in company at the time, that early in the morning of Tuesday last they had all set out from the Stevenstone stables for the purpose of exercising the horses. They had been out about an hour, when, somewhere about half-past seven o'clock, the hunter which the deceased was riding bolted, being teased by the flies, and ran off at full speed in the direction of a wire fence. Hill was in front of him, and as deceased passed him, riding one horse and leading another, Hill, supposing it to be the led horse which had bolted, called out to him to let the horse go or he would be over the fence; but, unfortunately, the horse dashed on at full speed against the fence, which threw the horse down, and the deceased was sent with great violence over the creature's head, and fell on his head on the hard road. His fellow servants were on the spot in a moment, and picked the poor fellow up, but found him quite insensible. He was removed to the stables, and afterwards to his own house, where Dr. Jones, of Torrington, was very soon in attendance. Deceased was still lying pefectly insensible, whith his eyes closed, and with every sympton of concussion of the brain; no was there the slightest return of consciousness until his death, which occured on the Thursday following. Deceased was a skillful rider, and accustomed to spirited horses; but the distance from the fence after the horse bolted was not enough to permit the rider to pull him up. The circumstances permitted of but one verdict,—that of Accidentally killed by being thrown from a horse.

North Devon Journal, Thursday, September 10, 1863

ASSAULT.—Walter Trick, of Saint Giles-in-the-Wood, was summoned to answer the complain of Mary Isaac, of the same parish, for assaulting her on the 20th Aug. last. It appears that from the evidence that on the above day complainant was returning from Stevenstone, and in passing a pond of water near the premises occupied by the defendant's father she saw a boy, named Hammett, throwing stones at some ducks. She interfered with the lad and called him a naughty boy for serving the ducks bad. The ducks it appears had been trespassing on Mr. Trick's premises, and had pulled out some corn from the ricks; and the lad being there to work, was told to drive them off. Defendant, therefore, took the lad's part and told complainant she had no right to interfere and ordered her to walk on. An altercation took place, and, as alleged by complainant, defendent caught hold of her by the arm and pushed her, leaving a mark in her arms.—Defendant admitted that he gave complainant a slight push in order to make her walk on.—The Bench did not consider that there had been an assault committed and dismissed the charge.

North Devon Journal, Thursday, July 7, 1864

ACCIDENT.—On Saturday morning last, John Milford, of Atherington, and Matthew Cock, of St. Giles-in-the-Wood, labourers, met with a severe accident at Peagham, near Stevenstone. It appears that whilst engaged excavation near Peagham farm house, where extensive alterations are in progress, they were in the act of loading a cart with rubbish from a place which had been undermined, when a large quantity of rubbish suddenly fell in upon them. Cock received some severe injuries in his right leg, foot and arm, and other severe bruises, and Milford, who was buried in the debris received a severe fracture of the jaws, besides besides being greatly bruised and otherwise injured. Dr. C.R. Jones, and his assistant, Mr. Barr, were soon in attendance, and Cock was carefully removed to his home. Milford's injuries, however, were too seerious to allow of his being removed, and the Honourable Mark Rolle generously sent from Stevenstone a bed and every other necessary for the poor fellow's use at Peagham farm house, so the under the skilful treatment of the the medical gentlement, the sufferers are both progressing favourably and hopes are now entertained that they will ere long recover from the effects of the accident.

North Devon Journal, Thursday, September 10, 1868

SERIOUS FIRE.—Yesterday (Wednesday) the Great Dodscott Farm-house, at Torrington, belonging to the Hon. Mark Rolle, and occupied by Mr. Squire, was destroyed by fire.

North Devon Journal, Thursday, September 17, 1868

ARSON.—Elizabeth Copp and Mary Diment, both little girls of St. Giles-in-the-Wood, appeared, on remand, charged with maliciously setting fire to premises, at Dodscott farm, in the above parish, on Wednesday, the 9th instant. On the above day, shortly after ten o'clock, Mr. William Squire (who occupies the above farm), returned from Stevenstone, on his pony, and, on arriving near his court-yard, he met the two girls, who had a donkey and cart near the gate leading to his court. Mr. Squire took his pony into the stable, and then went into the kitchen. In about ten minutes his attention was called to a cloud of smoke in the yard, and on going out he saw that a linhay in the yard was on fire. By the united efforts of himself and others, the household goods were chiefly saved, but the farm-house and extensive outbuildings, with their contents—including a quantity of farm implements, machines, the pony, a fat pig, and about sixty bushels of corn in the granary were destroyed. The origin of this destructive fire seems involved in mystery, and it was the fact of seeing the two girls near the premises just previous, that led Mr. Squire to suspect them.—The Bench adjourned the case for a fortnight, to see if any further evidence can be procured.—Mr. Squire was deeply affected whilst stating the particulars to the Bench.—The premises were uninsured.

Western Times, Tuesday, September 22, 1868

THE FIRE AT DODSCOTT.—Elizabeth Copp and Mary Diment, little girls of St Giles, appeared on remand charged on suspicion of setting fire to the premises occupied by Mr. W. Squire, at Dodscott, in the above parish, on Wednesday. Mr. Tapley on behalf of the prisoners. The only evidence against the girls was that just before the fire broke out Mr. Squire, in returning home from Stevenstone, met them with a donkey and cart some little way from his premises; there was nothing in their conduct to rise his suspicion at the time. After meeting the girls he put his pony into the stable and went into the kitchen, and in about five minutes saw smoke in the yard, and on going out found that a linhay was in flames. Finding that an attempt to subdue the flames would be useless (there being no water), Mr. Squire, with others used their efforts to save the household goods, in which they succeeded. The fire spread with great fury and burnt all the outbuildings with their contents, including machines, implements, about sixty bushels of corn in the granary, the pony which was just before put into the stable, a nice fat pig, and other things. The dwelling house was also destroyed. The property was uninsured, so that Mr. Squire will be a great sufferer.—On the following day the two girls were taken to Steventone, and from thence to Webbery, before Mr. Deane, who remanded then to the lock-up here until Saturday, but the distressed parents bailed them out on Friday. On their appearing before the Bench Mr. Squire was called, but his evidence only went to shew that he though it might be the girls as he saw them near. The Bench adjourned the case for a fortnight to see if any further can be procured. The girls positively assert their innocence, and the fact of their returning back to the spot on observing the fire, and assisting in the removal of the household goods, seems to bear out the assertion. A strong opinion prevails that the girls ought not to have been incarcerated in the lock-up without some grounds of suspicion.

Western Times,Tuesday, September 29, 1868

     Great consternation was felt here on Thursday afternoon, on the arrival of the sad intelligence that Mr. Thomas Norman, a respectable farmer occupying Winscott Barton, at St. Giles-in-the-Wood, had committed suicide by cutting his throat. He was but 33 years of age and unmarried. It was known to his friends that he had, when quite a young man, been thrown from a horse and sutained injury to his head, from the effects of which he had, it was considered, suffered from tim to time, but nothing so dreadful as this was apprehended. An inquest was held on the body on Friday, at the Farm House, before Mr. Deputy-Coroner Toiler, and respectable jury, of which Mr. James Balsdon was the foreman, when the following evidence of the touching, painfuk, and distressing case was given :—
     H.A. Vallack, Esq., of Great Torrington, said deceased was a farmer and was 33 years old about last Christmas. I have known the deceased from a boy; about 16 years since he was thrown off a horse and received violent concussion and compression of the brain, and since then he has had aberration of the mind, which has come to my knowledge on several occasions.
     Ann Squire, who had been housekeeper at the Barton for more than twelve months, said at times deceased had been strange and excitable. He had his dinner on Thursday about one o'clock. I noticed that he scarcely at anything and said but very little, although at times very talkative. He was in the house at a quarter after five last evening, and sat at the bottom of the table. I was getting the tea at the time, and whilst doing so had occasion to go into the dairy, and whilst there I thought I heard Mr. Norman go up stairs. When I returned he was not in the room; I thought he was gone up to lie down on the bed as he had been out late the night before. After waiting some time I went to the bottom of the stairs and called him, but he did not answer. Thinking he might be poorly I went upstairs and went through another room into his bedroom. I saw deceased lying on the floor on his back with his throat cut: there was a great quantity of blood; I saw the razor in his left hand; I believe he was dead at the time. It was about a quarter to six o'clock when I found him. I called in assistance and sent off for a doctor immediately. Between three and four o'clock I saw him come down stairs with some letters which he put into the fire and burnt.
     Charles Richard Jones, M.D., practising at Torrington, said—I have known the deceased for more than fifteen years; I remember the accident referred to by Mr. Vallack; he has since that suffered from periodical attacks in the head, and was at times very excitable. On passing her yesterday about two o'clock I called to see a cow which was in a curious condition. I saw deceased in the yard when he said he was rather out of sorts, and feared he should lose the cow. He appeared dejected and was not in his usual spirits. About a quarter after six I was frightened by receiving a message to come to Winscott as Mr. Norman had cut his throat. I came here immediately, and on going to his bedroom found deceased lying on his back by the side of his bed, quite dead. He had a razor in his left hand, which he firmly grasped. The fingers were quite rigid, and I had great difficulty in removing the instrument from his grasp. The face was turned towards the left should, the countenance perfectly placid and pallid. There was a wound extending completely from under the mastoid process to the temporal bone on the right side to beyond that projection on the opposite side. The cause of death was loss of blood, and from all I saw the wound was a self-inflicted one.—At the close of the evidence the coroner briefly summed up, and the jury at once returned a verdict of "Suicide whilst in a state of temporary insanity."

North Devon Journal, Thursday, October 1, 1868

ARSON.—Elizabeth Copp, and Mary Diment, of St. Giles, again appeared on remand, charged with setting fire to premises at Dodscott Farm, belonging to the Hon. Mark Rolle.—Mr. Thorne appeared for the prosecution, and Mr. Tapley for the defence.—Mr. William Squire, who occupied the farm, stated that on the 9th September, he met the two girls near his premises. Saw Diment leave the road and into a field looking towards his premises; when within twenty years of her, she came out of the field. This was about 140 yards from his house. Diment came out and joined Copp; they had a donkey cart.—On arriving at his premises he put the pony into the stable and went into the kitchen, and within three or four minutes observed smoke in the yard. On going out he found a linhay burning, which adjoined the road, the entrance to it was about twenty feet from the road.—Cross-examined by Mr. Tapley:—The prisoners often came to his house. Did not suspect them until ten o'clock at night; had made inquiry about a man named Trigger smoking there on the morning of the fire. After six other witnesses had been examined, the Bench thought it was a proper case for investigation, but there was not sufficient evidence to commit for trial, and they, therefore, dismissed the charge.

North Devon Journal, Thursday, November 12, 1868

ARSON.—Selina Matthews, aged 12 years, servant to William Squire, Dodscott, St. Giles, whas brought up on remand, charged with setting fire to farm buildings occupied by William Snell, on the 4th inst.—It will be remembered that in September last Mr. Squire's house and premises were destroyed by fire. Since that he has gone to reside at Mr. Snell's at an adjoining farm. On the 4th instant, Mr. Snell returned from fox-hunting shortly after 3 o'clock, when everything appeared right.—About 4 o'clock prisoner, who had left the house for about ten minutes, returned and went upstairs, and called to Mrs. Snell to look at the smoke coming from one of the outhouses. It was then discovered that a tallet over the stable was in flames, and an alarm was given.—Mr. Snell at once ran to the stable, and with some difficulty got out the horses. Suspicion rested on prisoner. She was apprehended, and on being searched a box of matches was found upon her. Prisoner, on the next day, made the following statement to Sergeant Babbage's wife:—"I went out to give the pigs some corn. I was going into the stable, but was afraid the horses would kick me. I went into the shippen, took up a handfull of straw, and there was a little hay in the rack. I set fire to it, and went in upstairs to make up the beds. I looked out of the window and saw smoke and fire—smoke first, and fire after. I shouldn't have done it if I hadn't been told by Polly Dyment to burn Black Fan and old Will."—At the close of the evidence the Bench committed prisoner for trial at the next Assizes.

Exeter and Plymouth Gazette, March 12, 1869

Selina Matthews, 11, servant (N), was indicted for setting fire, on the 4th November, 1868, at St. Giles in the Wood, to a certain stable, the property of the Hon. Mark George Kerr Rolle, and in the occupation of Mr. Wm. Snell.—Mr. Clark prosecuted.—W. Snell, farmer, said that on the day in question he returned from hunting about three o'clock. About three quarters of an hour after he saw the stable tallet on fire. The prisoner was the servant of Mr. Wm. Squire, whose premises were burnt down in September and whose family witness had taken into his own house.—The prisoner declined to cross-examine the witness and said she was sorry she did it, and began to cry.—Francis Snell, brother of the last witness, said he came home with his brother on the day in question. The prisoner was in the parlour. Shortly afterwards she went into the yard in which the stable was. She was away 15 minutes and when she returned she ran up stairs. Shortly afterwards she called out that the stable was on fire. He could not account for the prisoner's conduct.—Eliza Babbage, the wife of a police constable, said the prisoner told her:—"I went out to give the fat pigs some corn. I went into the stable, and took up a handful of straw and put it in the rack, in which there was some hay, and set fire to it. I should not have done it if Polly Dymond had not told me to burn out Black Fan and Old Will," whom witness understood to mean her master and mistress.—Lucy Trick said she took a box of matches from prisoner.—Police Sergeant Babbage said while he had the prisoner in custody she said she did set fire to the stable because Mary Dymond told her to do so. The same evening she was confronted with Mary Dymond, who strongly denied it.—His Lordship in summing up said there could be no doubt that prisoner set fire to the stable, and it was for them to consider whether it was done with a felonious intent. The jury found the prisoner guilty with a recommendation to mercy. Sentence was deferred.

North Devon Journal, Thursday, September 16, 1869

ECCLESIASTICAL PREFERMENT.—The Rev. Henry Vyvyan, who has been curate of this parish for the last 13 years is about to leave for Beer and Seaton, having been presented to that living by the Hon. Mark Rolle. The rev. gentleman is much respected in the parish.
SUDDEN DEATH.—Last week a sawyer of this parish, named Sanders, whilst employed at Great Dodscott, was seized with an apoplectic fit, and fell in the sawpit. He was conveyed to his house and medical assistance obtained, but he never rallied, and died on the following Monday morning, leaving a widow and four young children.

North Devon Journal, Thursday, September 15, 1870

FUNERAL OF A NONAGENARIAN.—On the 31st ult., Margaret Isaac, of this parish, widow, died at the great age of 96 years. The decease (who was held in high esteem by all classes in this parish and neighbourhood) has for many years past been clebrated for her skill in preparing and prescribing herbal medicines. The funeral took place on Sunday, and her friends having determined to bury the deceased respectably, mad a subscription to free the funeral expenses, as a last mark of respect. A very large number of the parishioners attended the funeral.—On Monday last the friends were greatly suprised to find that a letter had been received from the Hon. Mark Rolle in which he had intimated his wish, and that of Lady Gertrude, to defray all the funeral expenses. We need scarcely say that the friends of the deceased duly appreciate this mark of kindness.

North Devon Journal, Thursday, October 26, 1871

The usual Divisional Petty Sessions were held at the Town Hall on Saturday last before J.C. Moore-Stevens, and A.R. Hole, Esqrs.—William Folland, of St. Giles in the Wood, was summoned by Richard Symons, overseer, to shew cause why he refused to pay 4s. 5½d. poor rates. The defendant did not appear, and as Mr. Symons had repeatedly called for the amount the Bench granted a warrant of distress to levy for the unpaid rates and 13s. costs.

Western Times, Friday, April 4, 1873

Borough Petty Sessions—Wednesday.—Before the Mayor (J.B. Kingdon, Esq.), and N. Chapple, Esq.—Henry Woollacott, of St. Giles-in-the-Wood, was charged with leaving a horse and cart in Calf-street on Monday, so as to become an obstruction. Fined 9s 6d including costs.—John Popham, of St. Giles-in-the-Wood, was charged with being drunk and disorderly near Hatchmoor, within the borough, on Saturday night. Defendant denied the charge, but the evidence of P.C. Mortimore settled it. Fined 2s 6d and 8s costs.

North Devon Journal Thursday, January 7, 1875

SERIOUS GUN ACCIDENT.—An accident of a serious nature occurred at the farm-house of Mr. John Bowman, Great Huish, in the parish of St. Giles, on Wednesday. It appears that Mr. Bowman had been out shooting, and on his return home, the gun being wet, he placed it, loaded, in the open fireplace. The farmer's little boy and girl were in the kitchen, and the latter, who is about six years old, asked her brother to hand her the tongs, which lay behind the gun. The boy moved the gun with one hand, and just as he caught hold of the tongs the gun went off, the contents lodging in the shoulder of the little girl. Dr. Jones, surgeon, of Torrington, was immediately fetched, and he, seeing that the amputation of the arm was inevitable, telegraphed for Dr. Budd and Mr. Cooke, of Barnstaple, who attended as quickly as possible, and the arm was amputated at the shoulder joint. The little sufferer is progressing favourably under the care of Dr. Jones.—[Will that father ever forgive himself for the thoughtless act of putting down a loaded gun in the presence and within reach of his children? Will not the sight of his poor maimed child always bring his carelessness to his remembrance? Ought not such carelessness be punishable by law?—Ed.]

Trewman's Exeter Flying Post, Thursday, March 28, 1877

FIRE AT STEVENSTONE HOUSE.—An alarm of fire was raised between four and five o'clock on Sunday morning at Stevenstone House, the seat of the Hon. Mark Rolle. The housekeeper (Mrs. Tullock) was awakened by the smell of fire, and, on finding her room full of smoke, she at once raised an alarm. It was then discovered that the fire had broken out in the large billiard-room, and extended to the adjoining apartment; and that it must have been caused by an escape of gas, which was at the time burning in flashes over the room. One of the men servants turned the gas off from that part of the house, and by the prompt use of the water supply and appliances with which the mansion is well provided, the fire was quickly subdued. Immediately on the discovery being made, a mounted messenger was sent to Torrington for the fire engines, and the members of the Torrington Fire Brigade were soon on their way to Stevenstone with their two large engines, but the fire had been got under before their arrival. The Hon. Mark Rolle and family were all at home, and Lady Gertrude Rolle was foremost in assisting her husband, and the other members of the household to arrest the flames.

Western Times, Monday, March 11, 1878

A YOUNG CRIMINAL.—Joseph Horrell, aged about 12 years, servant boy to Mr. Row, of Kingscott, St. Giles in the Wood, was brought before the Honble. Mark Rolle and J.C. Moore-Stevens, Esq., at the Town Hall on Saturday, charged with stealing a small box containing two half-sovereigns and 15s in silver, the property of Wm. Cole, miller, of the above parish. The accused had been sent to the mill, and shortly after he left a match box containing the money was missing. The prisoner on being charged with taking the money denied it, but subsequently confessed his crime and produced the box and its contents. He now pleaded quilty, and was committed to the gaol at Exeter for a month, and then to be sent to a reformatory school for two years.

North Devon Journal, Thursday, June 1, 1882

TOWN HALL, Wednesday, 24th May.—Before A.R. Hole, Esq., and the Honourable Mark Rolle—John Thorne, a native of St. Giles-in-the-Wood, was brought up in custody charged with neglecting to maintain his wife and children, whereby they had become and still were chargeable to the common fund of the Torrington Union.—James Tanton, Relieving Officer, produced the out-door relief list of No. 1 District of the Union, shewing that a debt of £7 18s. 7d. had been incurred for relief to prisoner's wife and children who were still chargeable to the Union.—Thomas Cann, master of the Union, proved that the debt of £1 had been incurred for relief to prisoner's wife and children in the Union. The Guardians had also incurred costs of apprehension, &c., amounting to 16s. 7d. making in all £9 15s 2d.—In reply to the Bench, prisoner stated that he had been living as a farm servant near Bampton. He was not prepared to pay the amount due, but would pay £1 towards it. On being asked what further sum he could pay by Saturday 27th, the wife (who was in Court), undertook to pay £1 more on Saturday, and to pay the remainder by instalments of 2s. 6d per week.—The Bench after consulting agreed to the proposal, but informed the prisoner that a warrant of committal for 14 days would be signed, and put in force in case the payments were not kept up. The prisoner was then discharged, and he left the Court in company with his wife, whom he had not seen for nearly 12 months.

Exeter and Plymouth Gazette, Monday, October 20, 1890

An inquest was held on Saturday at Beara Farm, St. Giles, near Great Torrington, by Mr. J.F. Bromham, County Coroner, on the body of John Lawrence Vodden, a young farmer, who committed suicide by shooting himself on Thursday last.—Mary Tanton Vodden, sister of the deceased said that he was a farmer, residing at Beara Farm, and had been managing it since the death of her father. Deceased was 26 years of age. The last time she saw him alive was on Thursday, about 12 o'clock, when he went from the kitchen into the sitting-room. He then went out of the house and did not return. Witness went into the sitting-room, and noticed on the table the case in which he usually kept his gun. She then knew he had taken his gun with him, which was an ordinary thing for him to do, and she was not alarmed by seeing it gone. As he did not return in the evening a man was sent to look for him. She sat up for him all night, and about 7 o'clock in the morning a servant boy, called John Smale, came in and told her the body of the deceased had been found. She was not aware of anything that had been weighing on his mind. He was not in any way peculiar or eccentric in his habits, and she had no reason for supposing he would commit suicide.—John Sage proved going with John Smale to a by-lane, about 30 yards from the house, where they found the deceased lying on his side with the gun between his legs. He was quite dead, and witness assisted to convey the body back to the house.—William Squire deposed to accompanying John Smale. They found the body of the deceased in the roadway with the gun between his legs, the muzzle pointing towards his head.—P.C. Davey, who was also present when the body was found, said the gun had been recently discharged, as there was an empty cartridge in one barrel; the other barrel was unloaded. He searched, and found cartidges in the deceased's pocket. From the position in which he found the deceased, and having regard to the attendant circumstances, he did not think death was the result of an accident. The charge appeared to have gone into the deceased's mouth.—Dr. Cutcliffe, of Torrington, described the injuries in detai, and said the charge had entered the mouth and had reached the brain. He thought, from the nature of the injuries, it was impossible the death was due to an accident.—The jury returned a verdict of "Suicide by shooting while temporarily insane."

North Devon Journal, Thursday, September 15, 1892

The inhabitants of the parish of St. Giles were invited to witness a captial display of fireworks on Thursday evening at Stevenstone. The fireworks were let off by the Hon. Mark Rolle in honour of Lady Gertrude Rolle's birthday. The St. Giles Band, under the leadership of Sergeant Lloyd, played a selection of music during the display, and merry peals of church bells were rung during the evening in honour of the occasion.

North Devon Journal, Thursday, December 28, 1899

     The annual gifts by the Hon. Mark and Lady Gertrude Rolle of beef to their employés and their families on the Rolle Estate, and tea, sugar, &c. to others in the parish, took place on Thursday and Saturday of last week.
     Good congregations were seen at the Parish Church on the third Sunday in Advent. The Vicar (Rev. H.J. Wilmot-Buxton) preached in the morning, and the Bishop of Crediton (Rev. Dr. Trefusis), who was on a visit at Stevenstone, occupied the pulpit in the evening. Most eloquent sermons were delivered, both preachers strongly urging the claims of the Socity for the Propagation of the Gospel. As a result £4 11s. 4. was collected at the services. The missionary boxes which have been received during the week will considerably augment this sum.
     CHRISTMAS.—The Church, as usual at this festive season, was beautifully decored by the Stevenstone gardeners, under the superintendence of Mr. Gillies, the head gardener. The services on Christmas Day were an early celebration of Holy Communion at 8, Matins with another celebration at 11, and children's service at 3.30. There were good congregations, and a large number of communicants. The bells rang out merry peals at intervals during the day. Carols were sung on Christmas Eve, and also at the children's service.
     Through the liberality of the Hon. Mark Rolle and Lady Gertrude Rolle, the children attending the Sunday School, numbering over 100, received their annual gifts of plum pudding and Christmas cards in the Schoolroom on Christmas Day. Prizes, given by the same kind donors, consisting of handsome volumes of books, were also distributed to the 23 children who received honourable mention at the last Diocesan examination.