Tarrant County TXGenWeb - Arlington Obituaries - 1918 (part 5 of 5)

Arlington Journal
Friday--November 15, 1918

The Passing of Senator A.R. McCollum, Editor, Gentleman, Friend

We had all looked forward to "Press Day" at the Cotton Palace, Waco, last Saturday with special pleasure in having Senator A.R. McCollum as one of our hosts. For more than 40 years he has been a leading factor in the up-building of Waco, and of McClennan County as editor there. He was a gentleman of the old school, unusually fluent in writing and always forcible, clean-cut, yet gentle and kindly in differing with any one. He and this editor had been close, warm personal friends for more than 40 years, I shall miss him. It was a sad pleasure, one not unmixed with gladness that such a life had not perished, could not die, when I was one of his throng of friends who were privileged to attend the funeral service by his pastor of St. Paul's Episcopal church. The family--the wife, daughter, two splendid sons-one, G.E. McCollum, being postmaster of Waco--have the sincere, heartfelt sympathy and prayers of a host of friends throughout Texas in this hour of bereavement. Waco will miss his influences, his council, his forceful and genial personality. Truly may it be said of him as the "man of God" said of one of old: "Know thou that a man and 3 prince has this day fallen in Israel."

The only office he ever sought was that of Senator from his district, which he was filling at the time of his death.

Will H. Robinson

Mr. Will H. Robinson died Thurs., Nov. 7 at his home in North Arlington, after a long illness of pneumonia. Funeral service was held at the home by Rev. S.M. Bennett. Interment was in Watson cemetery, in charge of Mr. Hugh M. Moore.

Mr. Robinson leaves his wife and 3 children. Two brothers, Mr. John Robinson and Mr. Lon Robinson, also survive him. Mr. Robinson had many friends here and in all the vicinity, who have anxiously hoped for his recovery and were glad to hear that he was able to sit up last Wednesday.

On Wed. night he relapsed and death came at 8 o'clock Thursday morning. His bereaved family have the deepest sympathy of all our people in their darkest hour.

Arlington Journal
Friday--November 22, 1918

Mrs. George Worthington Dead

While having been in Arlington only a few months, Mr. George Worthington , superintending the building of the new Methodist church, Mr. and Mrs. Worthington who had rooms at Mrs. F.V. Lawrence's made many warm friends. These deeply sympathize with Mr. Worthington in the death of his wife, which occured last Saturday. Mrs. Worthington was taken with influenza and was sick for several weeks, and succumbed in spite of all efforts of the best physicians, And two days before she died her mother and father both died of the same malady at their home in Gatesville and had expressed a wish, knowing of her critical condition that if she and they must go hence, soon, that they all go together and be reunited where "parting is no more, and there is no more pain, nor sickness, nor death." They had their wish. Mr. Worthington is assured that the entire community feels deeply with him in his irreparable loss.

Death of Mrs. Charlie Rogers

Mrs. Charlie Rogers died Tuesday evening. She had been convalescing from a long illness, but relapsed Tuesday morning. Funeral service was postponed to Friday morning, on account of several of her children being away. All our people are friends of this family and they have their deepest sympathy in the loss of this beloved wife and mother.

Mrs. George Worthington

There is sadness In Arlington Again since death took another dear young wife, Mrs. Bennie Worthington, wife of Mr. George Worthington. Hers was the fourth loss in her family within ten days. Her little babe died on Nov. 7. Her mother (at Gatesville) at 10 o'clock and her father at 10:30 on Nov. 13. Mrs. Worthington died Nov. 17, at 3 sanitarium in Ft. Worth, after a long illness of pneumonia after influenza. The body was brought to Arlington and prepared for burial by Hugh M. Moore then remained at Mrs. Lawrence's, her late home, until Monday.

Mrs. George Kell of Red Oak, a sister who had been with Mrs. Worthington during her illness, Mr. and Mrs. Joe Worthington and Mr. Billy Parks of Dallas. remained over night and escorted the body to Gatesville Monday for funeral and interment. Mrs. Dan Hightower motored them to Ft. Worth.

Mrs. Worthington was born in Gatesville to Mr. and Mrs. Robinson, Nov. 11 1891, being 27 years of age. She came with her husband to Arlington June 25 this year, when he came to superintend rebuilding the Methodist church. During their short stay they won a host of friends whose love was attested by many beautiful floral offerings.

Mrs. Worthington was a Christian, a member of the Methodist church. She did not know of her parents home going until she met them in the presence of her lord. She is happy and knows now that "all is well." Her husband and her relatives have the deepest sympathy of the entire city.

Arlington Journal
Friday--November 29, 1918

Crutcher Sanders passed from Earth to Heaven

After struggling for several years with the great White Plague, Crutcher Sanders, son of Dr. and Mrs. H.S. Sanders of Arlington, went from earth to heaven at 8 o'clock last Monday night. His has been truly a Christian life, measured by the Master's own standards. He was helpful, always full of cheer, never complained during his years of suffering and waiting, thoughtful of others always, and his devotion to his parents all the years of his manhood was Inspiring and beautiful. Theologians may prate of some special demonstration, but the Master gave us only one and final stand by which to judge and of those who really knew Crutcher knew he came up to that standard as laid down in the 25th chapter of St. Mathew. In this he had before him always the beautiful life of his mother who, in the prime of her life and health, was veritably a "ministering angel" as Scott so truthfully phrases such a woman. And he was not untrue to the teachings of his parents. And he met death with that same calm that he discharged every other thing in life. While he served as mail carrier in Ft. Worth his patrons, with whom I had talked of him, learned to appreciate his steadiness, his never-failing courtesy, his readiness to put himself out in any and all ways to serve them, and give satisfaction. I have known but few men or women who were so evenly consistent in such a life of service to others and thought-free of self. And, at 1ast, this is the only thing that counts--for the Master Himself has said of such. "In as much as ye have done it unto one of the least of these, my brethren, ye have done it unto me; come ye blessed of my father, enjoy the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world," It is a consolation to his parents and his brothers, Lieut. Frank Sanders, in the army surgeon corps, James Sanders, of Ft. Worth, well known commercial traveling man and Hardy Sanders, of El Paso, in the banking business, to have the memory of a son and brother such as was Crutcher Sanders. I shall miss him as if of my own family for I loved him much.

Mrs. Charlie Rogers

Mrs. Charlie Rogers was born in Magnolia, Arkansas, November 13, 1869 and died November 19, 1918, after a lingering illness of many months. She was married to Charlie Rogers January 20, 1887, From this union 11 children were born, one dying in infancy.

Too much cannot be said of the tender and loving care given her by her family during her illness. She was full of sunshine and patient in her affliction; was a good neighbor, a true friend and a devout Christian.

The love and sympathy of the entire community go out to this heart broken husband and these dear children who are bereft of the sweetest and purest treasure that children ever possess--a dear loving mother.

To each one we would say, look heavenward, for she is waiting for you in the home of the blessed, where she will meet you with the same sweet smile where parting is no more. A loving friend.

Funeral service for Mrs. Rogers was held at the Baptist church Friday, November 22, by Rev. W.J. Hearon, pastor of the Methodist church, of which she was a member.

Mr. John Jones, of Nevada, Texas, an old time neighbor, offered a fitting tribute to the memory of Mrs. Rogers as a citizen of his city.

Out of town people attending the funeral were her children, Mr. and Mrs. Clyde Rogers, Abilene: Mr. Edgar Rogers, El Paso; Mr. Ellie Rogers, Ft. Omaha, Neb.; and Miss Gertha Rogers of Mesquite. Other friends, Mr. and Mrs. M.J. Dennis and Mr. John Jones of Nevada, Mrs. Margaret Thompson, Mrs. Fred Dickson and daughter, Margaret of Dallas, Misses Berta and Pearl Phelps of _____ and Mrs. C.E. Randolph of Rice, Texas.

Dr. Ernest McConnell

Friends of the family of Rev. A.P. Collins of Ft. Worth, formerly of Arlington, will regret to learn of the death of his son-in-law, Dr. Ernest McConnell, who resided near Corpus Christi. Dr. McConnell died November 19 of pneumonia, and was buried in Mt. Olivet cemetery at Ft. Worth, November 25. Mrs. McConnell (nee Miss Ada Collins) and two children survive him. They will return to Ft. Worth. Mrs. McConnell is a niece of Mrs. Maggie Robinson and Dr. J.D. Collins of Arlington.

Arlington Journal
Friday--December 6, 1918

Henry J. Slaughter

Mr. Henry J. Slaughter was stricken with paralysis Tuesday night of last week and died Thursday, the 28th at 4 o'clock in the afternoon. Funeral service was held at the home Friday by Rev. W.J. Hearon. Interment was at Van Alstyne Saturday. Mr. Slaughter is survived by his wife, one daughter, Mrs. Lillian Geer of Italy and six sons, Messrs. Homer and Z.T. of Arlington, Fulton of Dallas, Howard in Tri-State University, Angola, Indiana and Frank, in Vanderbilt University.

Mr. Slaughter had been in Arlington only a few months but had won the genuine friendship of our people by his kind and genial disposition. We realize that we have lost a good citizen and a Christian brother. His sons are our long-time friends and they, their mother and sister, have the heartfelt sympathy of a host of friends. Mr. Slaughter's brother at Van Alstyne with whom he had been intimately associated through a long life, died Saturday.

Mrs. Betty T. Lipscomb

Mrs. Betty T. Lipscomb was born June 26, 1860. She became a Christian early in life and joined the Baptist church. In 1882 she was married to John G. Lipscomb. To them were born three daughters, Mrs. W.G. Hiett of Arlington, Mrs. D.E. Taylor and Miss Abbie Lipscomb of Dallas, and one son, Harry Lipscomb of Dallas, all of whom survive her. Her husband died October 11, 1900. Mrs. Lipscomb died of pneumonia December 2nd, 1918, at her home in Oak Cliff. Funeral service was held at the family residence December 3 by Rev. Mr. Bassett, her pastor. Interment was in Arlington cemetery, Rev. S. M. Bennett conducting a short service at the grave. The many friends of the family in Arlington deeply sympathize with them in the loss of their beloved mother.

Death Calls Soldiers Wife

The relatives and many friends of Mrs. Maye Brewer Manis, were shocked Tuesday morning by the announcement of her death at an early hour after but a few hours illness. She was feeling slightly indisposed Sunday and remained in bed part of the day. On Monday a physician was sent for and he said her condition was by no means serious. Two hours later he was called and after an examination said there was slight congestion at the base of one lung. Two hours later he was again called and found both lungs entirely congested with pneumonia. She soon became unconscious and at 2:45 a.m. just a few hours later, she died. Members of the family from other points were notified and arrived Tuesday and Wednesday morning. The funeral was held from the home of W.P. Brewer, the father, at 2 p.m. Wednesday, and was attended by many friends and relatives. It was conducted by Rev. T. Swaim of the Presbyterian church. Interment was at Fairview cemetery. The deceased was born and reared at Arlington, Texas, up to five years of age when she came with her father's family to Memphis. She was married about a year ago to Commie Manis, of Vernon. Since then her husband has gone to France as a soldier, where he is now with his company. Word was received about ten days ago of his arrival there.

She was a consistent member of the Presbyterian church and was a young woman who made many friends wherever she went. She was just nearing her 23rd year. To the many relatives and to the soldier husband in France we extend our sincere sympathy. Among the relatives from a distance attending the funeral were Mrs. Manis and Mrs. Alman of Vernon, mother and sister of her husband. (This report from a Memphis paper, was brought to the Journal by a relative of Mrs. Manis. All Arlington is saddened by the news of the death and extend sympathy to her loved ones.)

Jesse Short Dead

Mrs. H. Tarpley received news Wednesday morning that her brother Mr. Jesse Short, of Mangum, Okla., was seriously ill of influenza-pneumonia. Wednesday afternoon word came that Mr. Short was dead and Mrs. Tarpley, Mr. and Mrs. Short, Miss Eva Lou Short, and Mr. Tyler Short left for Mangum Wednesday night. Mr. Short was reared at Johnson Station and had a host of friends in Arlington who regret deeply to hear of his untimely going. The family have the sympathy of the entire community.

Mrs. Justin Carlisle

Mrs. Mary Cravens Carlisle, wife of Assistant County Attorney Justin Carlisle, of Grayson County, died at the home of her father Dr. M.H. Cravens of Arlington, November 30. Funeral service was held at the home Sunday afternoon by Rev. S.M. Bennett, pastor of the Presbyterian church. The floral tributes of love from friends far and near were many and so beautiful. Mrs. Carlisle's favorite flower, the chrysanthemum, predominating. Interment was in Arlington cemetery. Mrs. Carlisle came from Sherman to visit homefolks for Thanksgiving, arriving Wednesday before. She became ill from influenza Thursday, and a few days later developed pneumonia. All that loving hands and medical skill could do was futile and her sweet spirit returned to God who gave her.

To Dr. M.H. and Mrs. Bettie Burney Cravens a little daughter, Mary, was born May 17, 1887. She was reared in Arlington and educated here, with the exception of three years spent in Belmont College, Nashville, Tenn. At the age of sixteen she professed Christianity during the first revival held here by Rev. P.M. Fitzgerald and joined the Presbyterian church, of which she was a consistent member until death. She was married to Justin A. Carlisle June 23, 1910. They resided in Houston, Amarillo and later, Sherman and both these estimable young people were well beloved wherever they were known. Little Mary Cravens was one of the sweetest natured and most intelligent children of Arlington, a universal favorite. As a young lady and a young matron she retained that same sweet womanly spirit, winning love wherever her life touched another. But we know we shall see and love her when we too shall soon pass to the presence of our Lord. So, to her loved ones, "Let not your hearts be troubled."

Surviving are her father and her beloved second mother, her brother and other relatives.

A Tribute

"In life we are in the midst of death."

In the passing from earth of our beloved Mary Cravens Carlisle, whom today we remember with loving words and tender thoughts, we are brought face to face with the mysteries of death and the greater mysteries of life. With unshaken faith in the infinite wisdom of God we bow our submission upon the alter of sorrow.

Death but unlocks the door to that eternal palace that grants us the crown of everlasting joy and happiness.

Coming home as she did only a few days before Thanksgiving, in perfect health and radiating happiness to spend the time with her loved ones, has made us all realize how close together are life and death.

Many are the hearts today that attest that by her kindness she did bring gladness and happiness. She was loved. A rarer soul never lived than Mary. Her wonderful disposition was the very embodiment of sunshine and joy--her devotion to her loved ones beautiful--her love for her friends sincere.

Always she affiliated with the best, in clubs for research and uplift, and though unpretentious in her devotion to her God yet she communed with him.


Arlington Journal
Friday--December 13, 1918

Mr. and Mrs. Clarence Scott

Mr. and Mrs. Clarence Scott of Fort Worth were brought to Arlington cemetery for burial Saturday. Funeral service was held by Rev. S.M. Bennett at the grave. Mr. and Mrs. Scott died of pneumonia, within a few minutes of each other. They left an infant child, very ill of influenza. Mr. Scott was a brother of Mrs. Will Parrott of Southwest Arlington.

Peter Radford Dead

Hon. Peter Radford of Kennedale, this county, died suddenly of heart failure in Madison, Wis., in a hotel, on December 2nd. He was accompanied by Hen. Henry N. Pope of Parker County. Both were attending the Society in Equity, a farmer's organization similar to the Farmers' Union, of which both were president in Texas a few years ago, and both had been members of the Texas legislature several terms. Mr. Pope accompanied the remains of Mr. Radford to Whitt, Parker County, where his daughters live, and where he was buried. Mr. Radford's wife, Mrs. Annie Radford, survives him. They lived on their farm near Kennedale, this county. Mr. Radford had been a factor in politics in this state and was a forceful character and devoted to the cause of the farmer. Our deepest sympathies go out to his wife and his daughters.

Mrs. O.O. Haines

Mrs. O.O. Haines died at her home In Dallas Sunday morning of influenza-pneumonia. Funeral service was held at the home Monday afternoon and Interment was In Grove Hill cemetery.

Mrs. Haines became ill on Thanksgiving, living only one week afterward. She is survived by her husband and two children, her mother and father, four sisters and one brother. She was a member of the East Dallas Baptist church and hers was a beautiful, Christian life. She and her husband were beloved by many friends as attested by the great number of beautiful floral offerings to her memory. Mr. Haines was an Arlington boy, the son of Mrs. John Griffin, and has many friends here who deeply sympathize with him in his so great loss. The world is dark without her but Heaven is fairer, having one more treasure for her loved ones. She waits for them in happy contentment.

Arlington Journal
Friday--December 20, 1918

Chas. K. Hassan

Mrs. H.D. Granbury received a message Sunday that her youngest brother, Mr. Chas. K. Hassan of Tuscaloosa, Ala., was very ill. Monday news came that he died, Sunday night. Mrs. Granbury could not go to him, as her son, Hugh, was ill of influenza. Mr. Hassan contracted influenza while attending his mother who was ill of the malady. Mrs. Granbury had the tenderest affection for this baby brother and her friends are sorrowing with her in her loss.

Mrs. Rodgers

Mrs. Mattie Smith Rodgers died at the home of her brother, Mr. Hugh Smith, Friday December 13th. Funeral service was held at Mr. Smith's home Saturday by Rev. S.M. Bennett, assisted by Rev. J.T. Renfro.

Mrs. Rodgers pastor, Dr. Smith, of the City Temple, Dallas, was ill in Baltimore. Interment was in Arlington cemetery. The profusion of beautiful flowers spoke the love of many friends. Mrs. Rodgers was very ill of influenza-pneumonia when she was brought from her home in Oak Cliff to her brother's home several days before her death. All her brothers and sisters were with her at the last. She leaves her husband and one little daughter, three years old.

Mrs. Rodgers was born January 11, 1886 and married to Mr. Rodgers August 2, 1911. She was a member of the Presbyterian church and lived a beautiful christian life. She was reared at Johnson Station and has many friends and relatives in Arlington and vicinity. The bereaved family have the deepest sympathy of all our people in their sorrow.



This page was last modified 29 Nov 1998.