Tarrant County TXGenWeb - Arlington Obituaries - 1918 (part 4 of 5)

Arlington Journal
Friday--October 25, 1918

Woman Killed

A Mexican woman, wife of a section foreman was killed at Handley Thursday by a passenger train on the T. and P. Railroad. We failed to learn her name and particulars.

Preston F. McKee Dead - Our First Gold Star

Arlington's service flag is honored with a Gold Star for her first son to fall in service.

Our hearts were made sad by the news that Preston F. McKee died at Camp Travis of influenza after a short illness. Sergeant McKee was born and reared in Arlington and was a general favorite. He was possessed of mind of more than ordinary initiative and force, backed by ambition and a high-resolve and was in line for rapid promotion because of his aptness and energy and ability to command and direct. He tried to enter at the first draft but was turned down because of physical condition. He persisted and was at last enlisted last summer. He had been active in every enterprise of this city and section for the past ten years, and as a leading young man in his Sunday School, the Methodist. He was admitted to the bar as a lawyer nearly three years ago but preferred agriculture and was fitting himself for practical farming. Possessed of a genial, social disposition, helpful to others with a genuine heartiness that won people to him and held them. He was my friend and I was his. I feel his loss as if a near relative. It is not persiflage to say every one in Arlington and the Great Arlington Country feel sincere sorrow and sympathize with his mother, his sisters and his brother on his untimely death. But they sorrow not as those without hope. This is the blessed consolation to them and to us when such a man goes from this to the higher life, Our flag was at half-mast for him.

Preston F. McKee

Sergt. Preston McKee died last Sunday at Camp Travis of pneumonia after influenza. The body was brought to Arlington Wednesday, escorted by Corp. Mickleson. Funeral service was held at the home by his pastor, Rev. W.J. Hearon.

Sergt. McKee is survived by his mother, three sisters, Mrs. Lee Tillery, Misses Sallie and Winnie McKee and his brother, Knox McKee, besides many other relatives here. These have the deepest sympathy of all our people.

Press won the affection of people by his manner and the respect and love of all mothers by his ceaseless devotion to his own mother. His tender care for her has been conspicuous. May she be comforted by the Savior's own Holy Spirit.

V.L. Lewis

Mr. V.L. Lewis died Tuesday morning at 2 o'clock. He had been ill for several days of pneumonia after influenza. Funeral service was held at Arlington cemetery by Rev. S.M. Bennett, his pastor, and Rev. D.C. Sibley, his close friend, Wednesday afternoon.

All of Arlington and community are sad to lose our good friend, Mr. Lewis. He was a good man and had faithfully served as rural carrier for 17 years. Many of his friends attended the funeral and the many beautiful floral offerings spoke the love they had for him.

Mr. Lewis leaves his wife, several sons, daughters and grandchildren, We his friends, tender them our deepest sympathy in their great bereavement, and we are comforted only in the knowledge that we shall meet him in the Master's home.

R.D. Sibley

Mr. R. D. Sibley, a son of Mr. and Mrs. J.W. Sibley of Arlington. died at his home in Ft. Worth, Monday, of pneumonia. Funeral service was held at Grimsley, near Mansfield Tuesday. Mr. Sibley leaves his wife, one daughter and two sons, besides near relatives.

Reuben Whitaker

Death took a dear little son, Reuben one of twins, from the home of Mr. and Mrs. John Whitaker of the Harrison community. Little Reuben had influenza and lived only a few days after taking it. He was seven years of age. Funeral service was held at the cemetery, Arlington, by the Revs. A.S. and Patrick Henry. Mr. Whitaker's entire family have been ill. They have the sympathy of many friends. "Heaven counts an angel more."

Mrs. Marcus Burkhart

Mrs. Marcus Burkhart, aged 18, died at her home at the residence of Mr. Bennett Burkhart, near Grand Prairie, Wednesday, a victim of influenza. Mr. and Mrs. Burkhart formerly resided in Harrison community, where they made many friends who regret to hear of her early going.

Mrs. D. Coker

Mrs. D. Coker died of influenza-pneumonia at her home in the farm residence of Mr. Melrose Bardin, Tuesday and was buried in Arlington cemetery Wednesday afternoon. Funeral service was held at the cemetery by Rev. J.T. Renfro. Mrs. Coker's husband and one child, Bertha, survive.

They have many friends in the Arlington community who deeply sympathize with them in so deep a sorrow.

"A good Christian woman," is the tribute paid by those who knew her.

Chester Hatch

Mr. Chester Hatch died at the home of his father, J.B. Hatch, Wednesday of pneumonia. Funeral service was held at the cemetery Thursday by Rev J.T. Renfro. Mr. Hatch leaves his wife and one child. Mrs. Hatch is now in New Mexico, very ill.

Love's Tribute

On October 3rd death visited our little city and laid his grim hand upon one of our brightest and best young boys - Sam Thompson. Sam was born July 23rd, 1901. From the day of his birth it seemed that those who knew and loved him felt that he was sent to bring cheer and sunshine into the lives of others. He was possessed of a sweet, calm and cheerful spirit throughout his life. In his childhood, the age when most children are so care-free, Sam was so mature in his ideals. Wrong-doing in others was always a great sorrow to him. Being imbibed with the feeling for others, this sweetness of character and this strong desire and determination to live up to this high ideal of life did not suffice for Sam: for early in life he sought that perfect peace and consolation that comes only through the saving power of Jesus Christ. Thus when he was only 13 years of age, he embraced Christianity. More than this, he not only embraced it but lived it daily. When disease began to prey upon him he met his fate with that same sweet spirit and Christian fortitude. No rebellion came into his heart but he would often speak of how much worse things could have been. The bravely fighting to ward off the dread disease that he realized was daily sapping his life, still he was always submissive to the will of God. Thus he passed into the hands of his Savior.

When we see a young boy's hopes, mingled with a strong ambition, blighted by death, it seems from a material standpoint so sad. Nature offers us such a consolation just here if we will but study it for a moment. Take the beautiful rose bud and watch it as it is matured by mother earth, air and sunshine. How it bursts forth in all its effulgence and beauty. We look at it and admire it and like the life of this sweet boy, feel like we would like to keep it in its beauty always, but it, too, is given to us but a few short days and its beauty begins to fade and soon is gone. Still we never forget its beauty and the message it bore. So with the life of Sam, we'll never get away from its beauty and influence. It has been truly said, "We become a part of all we meet." So with Sam, he has touched our lives of the young and the old and while his memories will last forever, it is such a consolation to think that this bud has been "plucked on earth to bloom in Heaven" where it will be protected from the hot winds of temptation and where disease and suffering come no more.

So let us say: In parting we do not feel pain, that we would have felt had he lived in vain, or failed to fill the mission God had given, in guiding some dear soul to Heaven. J.C.M. (Card of Thanks lists Mrs. S.H. Thompson, Collin Thompson, Mrs. C.A. Farris.)

Arlington Journal
Friday--November 1, 1918

Lieutenant Gives his Life to Help Win Nation's War

Lieutenant Goodfellow of San Angelo Killed in Action on Sept. 17, Message to Parents Say

The following from the San Angelo Standard will be of interest not alone to Lieut. Goodfellow's relatives in Arlington. but to his many friends here and In the county made during his residence in Fort Worth with his father, who was for 30 years civil engineer for Tarrant County. Lieut. Goodfellow was the first Texas flier to fall in action at the front.

The Stars and Stripes at half-mast in San Angelo Friday are honoring First Lieutenant John James Goodfellow, Jr., the city's first commissioned officer to sacrifice his life in France in defense of liberty.

News of Lieutenant Goodfellow's death was received here by his parents, Mr. and Mrs. J.J. Goodfellow of 1700 West Buregard Avenue, Thursday afternoon, in a telegram from the adjutant general's office at Washington, reading:

"Deeply regret to inform you that Lieutenant John J. Goodfellow, Jr., killed in action September 17."

Death in action fulfilled a premonition of Lieutenant Goodfellow that sooner or later he would be killed, for in a letter written to his sister on September 8 he referred lightly to some of his photographs and asserted that he was a "marked" man. His frequent trips over the German lines on observation work had not gone unnoticed by the enemy flyers, as is borne out by the news of his last flight. The government wire stating death implies that Lieutenant Goodfellow met death in the air.

Attended University of Texas

The San Angeloan was twenty-three years old, his last birthday being on May 17, just four months to the day before his death. He was attending the University of Texas when he enlisted with 200 students on May 5, 1917. He entered the first reserve officers training camp at Leon Springs but before its close was transferred upon his request to the aviation section.

Entering the ground school at Austin, he completed that course in October and was assigned to a field at San Diego, California. There early in February 1918, he was commissioned a first lieutenant and was made an instructor. On his way to an eastern seaport to embark for France, he stopped in San Angelo, at Belton and Austin. He sailed about March 3 and notice of his safe arrival overseas was received here the latter part of the month.

In France, Lieutenant Goodfellow went through both the first and second corps schools, where final training is given, and spent two days in Paris on his way to the front. In August he was in a rest camp at Tours for a short time after having his first experience over the firing line. Assigned to the Twenty-fourth aero squadron, Lieutenant Goodfellow made almost daily trips over territory held by the Germans and, returning, made maps based upon his observations. These were used in directing artillery fire.

Born in Fort Worth

The deceased was born of May 17, 1891 at 1806 Sixth Avenue, Fort Worth. He attended the DeZavala public school through the sixth grade and took up his education in the San Angelo public schools when the family moved here in 1907. He graduated from the high school in the class of 1913 and was employed by the Lone Star Gas Company at Fort Worth for more than a year before matriculating at the University of Texas.

Lieutenant Goodfellow began a civil engineering course preparatory in receiving his degree in electrical engineering, his father having been civil engineer for Tarrant county for thirty years before coming to San Angelo. At the University, the San Angelo man became secretary of the Y.M.C.A., treasurer of the Delta fraternity and a member of the governing board of the "Co-Op," the students' store. During the term of 1915-16, he was president of the freshman class.

In San Angelo high school, Lieutenant Goodfellow was a member of the school's football team for several seasons, but at Austin his studies required all his time. The Standard has been honored in this, the first death in action of a local officer abroad, Lieutenant Goodfellow having been mailing clerk in its circulation department at one time while attending high school here. The deceased was a member of the First Baptist church and of The Bushing class and played in the Sunday school orchestra. The trombone was his instrument and Lieutenant Goodfellow became a member of the university band when he went to Austin.

Two Sisters Survive

Besides the parents of the deceased, two sisters survive-- Mrs. Otis L. Ware, wife of Second Lieutenant Ware, acting adjutant of the second corps school in France; and Miss Louise Goodfellow, who is now attending Baylor Female College at Belton. Mrs. Ware is now in San Angelo residing with her parents.

Whether or not Lieutenant Goodfellow fell on enemy soil or behind his own lines Is not yet known, no information having been received other than Thursday's telegram. It is probable that another aviator died in the same combat. Details are expected shortly in a letter from comrades of the San Angelo man or his superior officers.

Lieutenant Goodfellow is the third San Angeloan to make the supreme sacrifice for his country. Others who have died were: John W. Fondern, formerly of Coleman; and Henry H. Huff, son of Mr. and Mrs. J.B. Huff.

Ruth Sandifer

Little Ruth Sandifer, age 5, near Stop Bowen, died of pneumonia Tuesday. Funeral service was held Wednesday by Rev. J.T. Renfro and interment was in Johnson Station cemetery. The family have the deep sympathy of many friends in their bereavement.

Mr. H. Walston

Mr. H. Walston, lately the proprietor of the Palace Theatre, died at Burkburnett Saturday, after a few days illness of influenza and pneumonia. The body was carried to Saratoga Texas, his old home, and buried Tuesday. Mrs. Walston and two daughters went to Burkburnett, and were with him at the last. The other three daughters met their mother in Fort Worth, on her way to Saratoga, and with a number of friends and relatives, viewed the remains of Mr. Walston. Mrs. Walston was accompanied by Mrs. R.E. Smith.

Mr. Walston is survived by his wife, five daughters, his parents, 3 brothers and one sister.

The bereaved family have the heart felt sympathy of the entire community in their irreparable loss.

Mrs. Ida Noah

Mrs. Ida Noah, sister of Mr. John Cotton of Arlington, died at her home in Polytechnic on October 24. Funeral service was held October 15 at the Noah cemetery near Arlington by Rev. S.M. Bennett. Mrs. Noah leaves her husband, Mr. Bud Noah, 3 children, one a little babe, two brothers and 3 sisters. She is lost to her loved ones for awhile, another good Christian wife, mother, sister and friend. Her family have had the sympathy of their many friends in Arlington and community. It is comforting to know that "God tempers the wind to the shorn Lamb."

Arlington Journal
Friday--November 8, 1918

Sergt. Preston F. Mckee

Sergeant Preston F. McKee, born in Arlington January 19, 1887, died October 20, 1918 at the base hospital, Camp Travis, San Antonio of pneumonia following influenza. He was reared in this community. His life was an open book to this people. There was did not appreciate just what his faults and the good was known to all, and we went away, and through our tears we have discovered our loss.

The world is poorer because Press McKee has gone. He was loyal to his loved ones, and his devotion and consideration for his mother was a most beautiful thing. He loved his friends. He loved his church and was a devoted friend to his pastor.

He was interested in life, his happy, optimistic spirit responded to every call, and he would go to any length for those he loved. No man appealed to him in vain, be he white or black, high or low.

His optimism was great, he loved the sunshine, and the skies were bright to him, his was a genial spirit, and the old and young responded to his happy and cheerful spirit. Though he carried a smile, and sought the sunshine and loved fair skies, he was one of the first to go where there was grief and where they needed comfort and help. How many homes in this community remember that he sat by their dead through the night and in the hour of sorrow was the first to offer comfort. He sought to serve--no wonder we all love him.

We have not lost him, life will be more precious and tender because he has touched our lives for the better. We shall miss him in the Sunday School and in the church.

He had only been in the army four months but he had already commanded attention: In a few weeks he was made a corporal, and a little later a sergeant and had passed successful an examination for admission into an officers' training camp. He was popular with his comrades and was a natural leader and his friends had high hopes for him.

And it was a sad hour for his community when they brought his body back and the first gold star is to be placed on our church service flag of 31 stars. The whole town gathered, white and black, in perhaps the greatest company that was ever assembled in this community at a funeral service and his body was laid under a mountain of flowers.

There were some beautiful things connected with the floral offerings, little children and young people sought the privilege of bringing flowers to show their love and appreciation. And the Negroes wanted the privilege of laying a wreath upon his grave and it was granted and they brought a beautiful wreath and as all classes of citizenship expressed the common sorrow, it was the showing that in a large measure his life was an expression of his favorite poem, "Let me live by the side of the road, and be a friend to Man." W.J. Hearon, His Pastor.


Charles C. Swann, was born at Arlington, Texas, April 13, 1876. He lived on the farm until grown and as a young man always took the lead in the management of the farm. He went to Oklahoma in 1901 and settled on a ranch near Wayne. In 1915 he went to Maysville and entered the hardware business with Mr. Rackley. After a time J.B. Wilson purchased the Rackley interests, and in 1912 sold out to George J Dykes, who two years later sold to C.C. Swann.

Mr. Swann was married December 24, 1904 to Miss Effie Carroll and to this union were born two sons, Joe and Roy.

On Saturday, October 5, 1918, Mr. Swann died after a short illness of typhoid fever. Funeral service was conducted at his home October 7, by Rev. Ferry E. High. The beautiful and impressive ceremony of the Masonic Lodge was carried on at the grave.

Charley Swann was a man to whom charity never appealed in vain; he was always foremost in every movement for the relief of the distressed, ever ready with willing hand and a cheerful heart in response to any appeal for funds or time in a worthy enterprise, always ready to sacrifice personal gain for the public good. In his business dealings he was strict but just, always lenient to the unfortunate and reasonable in his demands.

As a boy, Charlie was a general favorite in Arlington. His mother, Mrs. M.E. Swann and sisters, Mrs. R.H. Bardin, Mrs. George Finger and Miss Sheba Swann, still reside in Arlington.

Mrs. Bishop

Mrs. Bishop died Tuesday at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Nix, after a long illness. Funeral service and burial were at Lancaster, her home, on Wednesday.

R.A. Fanning

Mr. R.A. Fanning was born Sept. 2, 1872 at Francisco, Ala., where he lived until he was 36 years of age, then moved to Arlington, Texas. There he lived until March 1918 he then went with his family to a farm near Colorado Springs.

He was married to Ticia Hill Oct. 22, 1890. Eleven children were born to this union of whom 8 are living, five of them at home, three in Texas. (married)

Three years ago he broke down in health and came to Colorado in the hope that the climate would again restore his good health, but he gradually failed and his family and home he loved so well are left to mourn his early death, which occurred Oct. 19 at 10:30 p.m. He was a man of sterling quality and held in high esteem by all who knew him. He was a good man, a good neighbor, a kind and loving husband and father. He died happy and through all his suffering he never murmured. He had faith in God and the family's loss is His gain. Mrs. Cagle.

Mrs. T.C. Anderson

Mr. H.C. Adams received news of the death of his cousin, Mrs. T.C. Anderson of Fort Worth, who has friends in Arlington. Mrs. Anderson died Monday. The remains were carried to Waco for burial.

C.L. Joiner

News comes that Mr. C.L. Joiner, who recently removed from Euless to California is dead and the body enroute to Midlothian for burial.

Mrs. Lela Herd

Mrs. Lela Herd, who was formerly Mrs. Walker, died at her home in Dallas Tuesday, and was brought to Watson cemetery for burial Wednesday. Mrs. Herd was the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Dave Dalton of Watson and lived in Arlington before her marriage one month ago to Mr. Herd. She leaves 3 children. Death was caused by pneumonia, after influenza. She had many friends in Arlington who sorrow with her loved ones in their loss.



This page was last modified 29 Nov 1998.