Tarrant County TXGenWeb - Arlington Obituaries - 1918 (part 1 of 5)

Arlington Journal
Friday--January 4, 1918

Mrs. William Richardson

Mrs. Wm. Richardson, nee Caroline Keyes, was born in Monroe Co., N.Y., Oct. 13, 1830, and died at the home of her son in Arlington, on December 30, 1917.

At the age of 6 she removed with her parents, as pioneers to Michigan, and at 18 to Iowa. There in 1853, she was married to William Richardson. To them three children were born, J.H. and Hugh Richardson, who have been in attendance at her side for several years, and Mrs. Mary Barnard, of Houston, who was not able to attend her mother's funeral.

Rev. S.M. Bennett conducted funeral services at the home, Jan 1, and interment was in Arlington cemetery, Mr. J.B. Hough of Milton Undertaking Co. in charge.

Arthur Loveless

Undertaker Hugh M. Moore reports the death of Arthur Loveless, the sixteen year old son of Mrs. Ed Loveless, near Handley Monday night. Burial was in Isom Cemetery Friday afternoon, Rev. Boone of Fort Worth conducting.

Death of Mr. Henry Clark

The many friends of Mr. and Mrs. Henry Clark will sorrow to learn of his death last Tuesday. He had been ill for a long time. The funeral was held at the home near Stop Keystone by Rev. S.M. Bennett. Interment was in Johnson Station Cemetery with Mr. J.B. Hough of Milton Undertaking Co. in charge.

Mrs. Clark and her family have the sympathy of many friends.

Death of Soldier

Private H.F. Lawing died at the home of his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Tom Lawing, in this city at 10 o'clock last Friday night of meningitis, so pronounced by Dr. W.H. Davis who attended him. He was on a five days furlough from Camp Bowie and was sick only twenty-four hours.

Private H.F. Lawing was born at Johnson Station February 22, 1896, and was reared at Johnson Station. He died Dec. 27, 1917. Rev. S.M. Bennett conducted funeral services at the Arlington Cemetery, where he was given a soldier's burial. Many beautiful flowers attested the love of friends.

The family have the deep sympathy of the entire community in their loss.

Killed at Dalworth

A most deplorable accident was that which resulted in the death of Rev. A.L. Andrews, his wife and son Corporal Will Andrews, when their car was struck by the Sunshine Special at Dalworth last Friday. They were killed instantly. Dr. Andrews' body was brought to undertaker Hugh M. Moore and the bodies of Corporal Andrews and his mother were brought to Milton Undertaking Co., to Mr. Hough and prepared for burial. They were carried to the residence in Ft. Worth by Messrs. Hough and Moore and funeral services were at the First M.E. Church Sunday.

Dr. Andrews was pastor of the First Methodist Church of Fort Worth and his son was Corporal in Battery C 33rd Field Artillery.

Tommie Moss

The two-year-old son of Mr. and Mrs. L.P. Moss died at the home of his parents in North Fort Worth Sunday morning. Funeral services were held at Watson cemetery at 3 p.m. Monday by Rev. D.C. Slbley and under direction of Hugh M. Moore.

Death of Jesse S. Moore

Jesse S. Moore, age 40 died at his home near Smithfield, to which place he had moved three weeks ago from the Bedford community, where he was born and raised.

He was ill only a few days with double pneumonia. He was a brother of J.M. Moore of Arlington, M.H. Moore of Fort Worth, Mrs. W.H. McKinley of Fort Worth and Mrs. John Barr of Bedford.

He leaves a wife and two children, Gladys and Fay, age 11 and 9 years respectively.

Funeral services were held at New Hope Christian church at 3 o'clock on New Year's day, conducted by Rev. N.L. Clark of Fort Worth and Rev. Patrick Henry of Arlington.

Arlington Journal
Friday--January 11, 1918

Death of Mrs. Hannah Hutcheson

Mrs. Hannah Hutcheson died of pneumonia at her home Monday night at 10:30. Funeral service was held Tuesday afternoon at the home by Rev. W.J. Hearon, assisted by Rev. A.P. Collins of Fort Worth and Rev. A.C. Gustavus. The floral offerings were many and beautiful. A number of friends and relatives from Fort Worth and Dallas attended the funeral. Interment was in Arlington Cemetery, Mr. Hugh M. Moore in charge.

Mrs. Hutcheson was a niece of Mrs. T.B. Collins, Sr., and a great niece of Mrs. R. W. Collins. Her life was spent in Arlington and she made herself dear to all who were ever associated with her, a lovable girl, an intelligent, smart Christian woman and one that can hardly be spared, but we should not forget that hers is the Kingdom of Heaven, and in that Kingdom, peace reigns.

There are left to mourn for her six children. Mrs. Pearl Barnhill, who with her husband and the youngest child, Miss Leta Hutcheson lived with their mother; Lloyd, whose home is here also; Olin Hutcheson of Crescent; Mrs. Edna Moore of Johnson Station; Walter Hutcheson, Arlington; five grandchildren; her father, Mr. Jim Pilant of Fort Worth; sisters and brothers as follows: Mrs. Susie McNatt of Walters, Okla.; Mrs. Cora Sanders of Fort Worth; Mrs. Ida McKinley, Arlington; Will Pilant, Argentina, S.A.; Frank Pilant, Wichita, Kansas; Grover Pilant, Denver, Colo.; John H. Pilant, Arlington.

Arlington Journal
Friday--January 18, 1918

Death of Mrs. Coleman

Mrs. Cora Coleman, formerly of Arlington, died at Austin last Saturday and was buried at Oak Cliff Monday. Funeral was at the home of her sister, Mrs. Walden.

Mrs. E.E. Rankin and Mrs. Joe Crawley attended the funeral. Mrs. Coleman had many friends in Arlington.

Death of Mr. Forest Allen

Mr. Forest Allen, who had recently moved from Desoto to the Doscue place west of Arlington, died of Brights disease last Thursday, after an illness of three months, part of which had been spent in a sanitarium. His remains were buried in the Noah Cemetery Saturday.

Mr. Allen leaves a wife, who is a daughter of Rev. Bascom Thomas of Arlington, and three small children, two of whom are twin babies. He is also survived by his mother and several brothers and sisters. His mother, Mrs. Carrie Allen, two small brothers, Mrs. Pogue and Mrs. Ham, all of Desoto, and a brother, Jim Allen, of Noel Junction, were present at the funeral. Mr. J.B. Hough, of Milton Undertaking Co., had charge of the burial.

Mrs. Allen and the little ones will come to live with her father. May God "temper the wind to the shorn lambs" and help the bereaved ones in their loss.

Mrs. M.A. Caloway Dead

Mrs. Mary Caloway died Tuesday at the Home for Aged Masons, where she has lived since April, 1916. She had been ill of paralysis for two weeks. Funeral service was held at the Home by Rev. A.C. Gustavus, her pastor.

Many of the church members attended and Mr. Hough Hiett led the Baptist Choir in rendering beautiful and appropriate music.

Mrs. Caloway was 78 years old; and had been an active church member for many years. Her consistent life was a blessing to many during her stay on Earth.

Mrs. C.P. Cyrus Dead

Mrs. C.P. Cyrus of Cleburne died Tuesday morning at the home of her son-in-law, the Rev. O.T. Cooper, 3900 Dicason Avenue, Oak Lawn, Dallas. She became ill with pneumonia while on a visit to her daughter, Mrs. Cooper. A short funeral service was held at the house at 9:30 o'clock Wednesday morning, conducted by the Rev. Sam R. Hay and the Rev. O.S. Thomas, after which the body was taken to Cleburne in a special interurban car and service held in the Main Street Methodist Church in Cleburne at 1 o'clock in the afternoon. The service was conducted by the Rev. C.R. Wright of Cleburne and the Rev. J.M. Barcus of Hillsboro. The Pallbearers were L.W. Hays, Theodore Russell, Lawrence Thomas, B.M. Burgher, E.G. Knight and J.D. Cullum. Mrs. Cyrus, who was a widow, 70 years old, is survived by the following children: Charles L. Cyrus and James C. Cyrus of Cleburne, T. Stratton Cyrus, Fort Worth; Richard P. Cyrus, Greenville; Mrs. E.R. Barcus, Tyler; Elbert M. Cyrus, Greenville; and Mrs. J.W. Pittman, Corpus Christi; and Mrs. O.T. Cooper, Dallas.

Mrs. Cooper's many friends in Arlington deeply sympathize with her and her relatives in this so great sorrow.

Man Frozen to Death

A man apparently 30 to 35 years old, was found dead on the interurban right-of-way and reported by a young lady who teaches at Handley. He had evidently frozen to death. No means of identification were found on the body. Mr. Hugh M. Moore brought the body to his undertaking office and prepared it for burial. He made every effort to identify it and several hundred viewed the body. A Red Cross button showed the man a member, so Mr. Moore furnished casket, flowers, and necessary outfit and had the body interred in Arlington Cemetery. Funeral service was held Tuesday at Mr. Moore's office, Rev. D.C. Sibley and Rev. S.M. Bennett officiating. Many people attended and several floral offerings testified to the human kindness of our people. It is thought probable that the identity of the man will remain a mystery.

Edward Harvey Tomlin

Age 21 months, died of pneumonia Thursday night and was buried in Tomlin Cemetery Friday. He was the son of Mr. and Mrs. Harvey Tomlin, three miles Northwest of Arlington.

Mrs. M.L, Smith

Mrs. Mary Lee Smith, aged 45 years died Saturday at the Home of Aged Masons. The body was carried to Fort Worth by Mr. Moore and shipped to Goldthwait for burial. Mrs. Smith is survived by five children, who are in the Masonic Orphans Home of Fort Worth.

Sam Bowling

Mr. Sam Bowling, aged 69 years, died at his home at Westmoreland Stop, Friday morning. The body was brought to Grand Prairie for burial Saturday. Funeral service was conducted by the Presbyterian paster. Mr. Bowling is survived by his wife and four children. He was formerly a citizen of the Arlington Community.

Mrs. M.E. Blackwell

Mrs. Mary E. Blackwell, aged 59 years, died suddenly at the home of her son, J.J. Blackwell, seven miles north of Arlington, on January 8th and was buried at Arlington on the 9th. Funeral service was conducted by Rev. Sibley and Rev. Bennett. Mrs. Blackwell is survived by one daughter and three sons.

J. S. Fitch

Mr. J.S. Fitch, aged 69 years, died Sunday at his home at Bedford and was buried Monday at Bedford, under the auspices of the Arlington Masonic Lodge. Mr. Fitch is survived by his wife, two daughters and one son.

Arlington Journal
Friday--Febuary 1, 1918

Death of Mrs. Wade

Mrs. N. J. Wade died Jan. 28, at the home of her son, Mr. Ellis Wade. Funeral service was held at the home by Rev. S.M. Bennett and interment was in Arlington cemetery, Mr. J.B. Hough of Milton Undertaking Co., in charge.

Mrs. Wade was 83 years old. She had many friends in and around Arlington. Three of her children live here, Messrs. Will and Ellis Wade and Mrs. N.J. Noah.

Arlington Journal
Friday--Febuary 8, 1918

Death of Mr. J.M. Floyd

Mr. J.M. Floyd, west of Arlington, was stricken with meningitis last Saturday and died at 8 o'clock Monday night. Funeral service was held at the home Wednesday afternoon and interment was in Handley cemetery, with Mr. Hugh M. Moore in charge.

Mr. Floyd had many relatives and a host of friends in the Arlington country who are grieved to lose so good a man. He was a successful farmer and one of our best citizens. He leaves a wife and 5 children, the oldest about 14 years of age. They have the deepest sympathy of all our people in losing this so kind husband and father.

Baby Roy Wilshire.

Little Roy, one of the twin babies of Mr. and Mrs. Wilshire, died Saturday. Sunday afternoon Rev. S.M. Bennett held funeral service at Watson cemetery, where the little one was buried. Mr. Hugh Moore was in charge of interment.

Death of Michael Moore

Michael Moore, foreman on the Eagle Ford section of the Texas and Pacific died suddenly of hemorrhage of the lungs while on the track Wednesday. He was brought to Arlington by train No. 1 and carried to Milton Undertaking parlors and prepared for burial. Thursday the body was still being held for instructions from M. Moore's daughters in San Antonio.

William Andrew Brundage

William Andrew Brundage, age 71 years, 6 months and 13 days died at Midlothian, Texas at 10:15 o'clock, Saturday morning, Jan. 26, 1918. Mr. Brundage's illness was of only a few weeks duration; he was surrounded by his children when the end came. Funeral services were held on Saturday, Jan. 27th, under auspices of the Masonic and Odd Fellows fraternities, of which he had long been a member.

He served 3 years in the confederacy in Major Horton's brigade, Company C, 2nd Texas cavalry.

He is survived by his wife and five sons and one daughter, as follows: W.A., Ft. Worth, formerly of Arlington, who was connected with the Journal; Mrs. J.M. Board, Mansfield; Roy, Witchita Falls; Ross, Midlothian; Lee, Waxahachie and Clyde,. of Camp Bowie. He is also survived by a sister residing in Los Angeles, California.

Arlington Journal
Friday--Febuary 15, 1918

Death of Mrs. W. R. King

Mrs. Alice King, wife of W.R. King who is a brother of C.D. King, Sr. of Arlington, died Monday at her home in Grand Prairie. She had been ill from a stroke of paralysis for the last fifteen months. Funeral service was held at the Christian church by the pastor. Interment was in the Grand Prairie cemetery, Messrs. Moore and Turner in charge. Her husband and all her children were present at the funeral, Mrs. Mollie Fowler, Mrs. Lucy Yarbough, Mr. Alice Bolin, Mrs. Lena Burt, Mr. Paul King and a niece, who had been reared as her own child, Mrs. Maude Taaffe Poindexter and a nephew Claude Taaffe. Paul King was at home on 30 days furlough, granted from Camp Travis on account of his mother's illness. He was to sail on the Tuscania.

Mrs. King was given every care that tender loving hearts could devise, and never suffered much in her last illness. She leaves many friends besides her husband and children to mourn her loss.

Those attending the funeral from Arlington were, Mesdames McCrary, Carver King, Lawrence, W.G. Johnson, Mr. and Mrs. A.C. Heath, Mr. and Mrs. Will Turck.

The floral offerings were many and beautiful.

Baby Killed by Speeders

The two year old child of Mr. and Mrs. Hagler, was instantly killed by an auto Sunday afternoon. The child was seated in a little wagon, drawn by an older child. Two cars seemed to be racing, at least, were speeding, and one swerved out and struck the child. It is said the little fellow who drew the wagon was nearly in the ditch to keep out of danger, yet they killed the baby. The driver who struck the child was arrested. The little wagon lay in the ditch, stained with innocent blood, a mute accuser. The older child was so frightened he ran away from the scene. Kind hands carried the lifeless body away. So another tragedy ends. By the time this goes to press no doubt others will be recorded in heaven's book as murder. What can be done to "regulate" killing?

Arlington Journal
Friday--Febuary 22, 1918

Card of Thanks

Rev. and Mrs. W. F. Rutherford of Meridian, wish the Arlington Journal to extend their thanks to Mr. Hugh M. Moore and their Arlington friends for the kindness shown in their recent bereavement in the loss of their father, Mr. William Rutherford, who passed away Sunday at Meridian, and was laid to rest beside his beloved wife in the Arlington cemetery.

Father Rutherford was born in England 81 years ago. He lived a beautiful Christian life, for fifty years.

Death of Aged Mexican

Ed Coss; the aged Mexican who has lived at Mr. J.P. Fielder's for the past eleven years, died Saturday night of pneumonia and was buried at Noah cemetery. He lived around Alvarado and Waco for about 40 years.

Arlington Journal
Friday--March 1, 1918

Death of Susan Ford

Mrs. Susan Ford, a sister of Mr. Joe Finger and Mrs. Joe Tolliver, died at the home of Mrs. Tolliver Tuesday night of paralysis. The body was sent to Memphis, Texas, Wednesday night by Mr. Hugh M. Moore.

Mrs. Ford had been visiting Mr. and Mrs. Joe Finger for several weeks and had gone to spend a few days with Mrs. Tolliver, when she was stricken. She had many friends in Arlington.

Baby Allen

One of the twin babies of Mr. and Mrs. T.A. Allen, a little eight months old girl, died Tuesday and was buried Wednesday at the Noah cemetery, Mr. J.B. Hough, of Milton Undertaking Co., in charge.

Mrs. Fannie Cooper

Mrs. Fannie Cooper died at Mansfield Saturday, after a long illness. Funeral service was held Sunday by her paster, Rev. E.D.L. Timms, and her body raid to rest in Mansfield cemetery.

Her sisters, Mrs. S.G. Riall of Arlington and Mrs. Gilstrap of Mansfield were with her at the last. Her other 3 sisters were too far away to come.

Arlington Journal
Friday--March 8, 1918

Claude Ramsay Killed

Claude Ramsay, age 30, a nephew of Mrs. T.A. Rudd, was killed last Thursday night in the Cotton Belt yards while coupling cars. He was struck by a car and so injured that he died shortly after reaching the sanitarium. He lived with his parents, Mr. and Mrs. John Ramsay. He was reared in the Arlington Country and had many friends and relatives in this section. Mrs. Rudd was called to Fort Worth, returning Friday night.

Death of Mrs. Hurley Young

Mrs. Hurley Young, nee Miss Ella Compton, died Monday night at Johnson Sanitarium, where she had been for about a week.

Funeral service was held at the Comptom home, Tuesday afternoon by Rev. S.M. Bennett, interment was in Arlington cemetery, Mr. Hugh M. Moore in charge.

Mrs. Young was an Arlington girl, a very dear girl, and had many friends in Arlington and vicinity who mourn her untimely going and who, deeply sympathize with her loved ones in their bereavement.

Arlington Journal
Friday--March 15, 1918

Old Mason Killed at Crossing

Brother J.T. Miner (Uncle Bud), one of the most beloved members of the Old Mason's Home was killed on the T. and P. crossing one mile west of town Sunday afternoon. He had gone for a walk after supper and was returning from Keystone Stop when he was struck by the 7 o'clock passenger train, west bound. Dr. Smith Woodward was at Keystone and on seeing the train stop, went over to the crossing, and found Uncle Bud dead, his neck broken and one arm broken.

Funeral service was conducted by Revs. Bennett and Kerby at the Home Monday and interment was in Arlington cemetery, Hugh M. Moore in charge.

Uncle Bud attended the flowers at the Home and it was his habit to bring in bouquets for the doctor, the nurses and others and the Home is sad without his kindly smile, cherry words and thoughtful kindness.

Arlington Journal
Friday--March 22, 1918

Death of Mrs. John Elliott

Mrs. John Elliott of Moran, died at Johnson Sanitarium Monday, March 18. Funeral service was held at the Arlington Christian Church Tuesday afternoon at 3:30, conducted by Rev. Patrick Henry.

The pallbearers were, Messers. Olin Davis of Fort Worth, James Ditto, Webb Rose, Leslie Coulter, King Elliott and Charlie Brower. Interment was in Arlington cemetery, directed by Mr. Hugh Moore.

Beautiful floral offerings spoke the love of many friends, and sweet, impressive music softened grief.

Mrs. Elliott was the eldest child of the late Mr. and Mrs. Thomas Spruance and as Miss Sadie Spruance she was known and loved in Arlington. Surviving her are three sisters, Mrs. W. H. Davis and Miss Virgie Spruance of Arlington and Mrs. French Davis of Dallas; one brother, Mr. Ben Spruance of Amarillo, and her husband, who has so devotedly attended her throughout her long illness.

She was a consistent member of the Christian Church. Being in her 50th year, she had lived the life of a useful Christian for a Long time, and the world will miss her service.

Mrs. Elliott went to the sanitarium just one week before her death, was operated upon and was thought to be doing well, her family expected her recovery and love and careful ministry were hers, but God was ready for her and they are left to wait a happy reunion in the land of joy where she walks and talks with him. We join the many friends of her loved ones in deepest sympathy and the hope they may know the comfort he gives to his children.

The following out of town relatives attended the funeral: Mr. Ben Spruance of Amarillo; Mrs. French Davis of Dallas; Mr. Flem Bledso, Mrs. Bussey and Mr. Van Bussey of Hutchins, Miss Adda Rawlins of Lancaster, Mrs. E. Spann of Weatherford.

Death of Oliver Perry Cox

Mr. Oliver Perry Cox, youngest child of Mr. and Mrs. J.B. Cox, died at his home in North Arlington at 7:20 o'clock Tuesday morning, March 12, 1918.

Oliver was born August 28, 1901, being 16 years, 6 months and 12 days old at the time of his death. He was sick only 8 days with meningitis. We was given every care that tender loving hearts could devise, but nothing seemed to help him. The lord called for him and he had to go. He told his nurse he was going Home to rest.

Those left to mourn his death are his father and mother, Mr. and Mrs. J.B. Cox, one brother, Mr. W.H. Cox and four sisters, Misses Rucia and Jessie Lee Cox, Mrs. G.W. Shelton of Arlington and Mrs. T. G. Shockley of Mansfield.

Rev. S.M. Bennett conducted funeral services, which were held at the West Fork church, interment was in Watson cemetery, Mr. Hugh Moore in charge.



This page was last modified 29 Nov 1998.