Tarrant County TXGenWeb - Arlington Obituaries - 1909 (part 1 of 3)

Arlington Journal



Mrs. D.A. Scott died at her home in Arlington Tuesday, January 12, at 11:30 p.m. after a protracted illness of eleven weeks. She was a member of the Methodist church at Thomas Chapel. The many friends of Bro. Scott will sympathize with him and the children in this, their dark hour.

Funeral services were conducted by Rev. D.C. Sibley assisted by Bros. Woodroof and Burnett and the choir from the Berachah Home. Interment was in the Arlington cemetery at 4 p.m. January 13, 1909.



Justice of the Peace C.D. King was called yesterday morning to hold an inquest over a Negro found dead near the gravel pit on the Rock Island north of the Trinity River, about 7 miles from Arlington. He had been shot in the right jaw and side of the neck with a load of birdshot Wednesday morning while hunting through some accidental discharge of his gun.

Two young white men, George Autry and W.B. Wingo, seeing a smoke near the gravel pit went over there to warm their feet-they had been hunting. Arriving there they found the body of a Negro, with the clothing on fire from the discharge of a gun, which had severed his jugular vein and torn part of his jaw away. Death had been instantaneous, probably, and the gun had fired his clothing. The young men arrived just in time to put it out before the body was cremated, but not before a shell had been exploded in the Negro's pocket. The Negro was named Dave Randall, and had worked the past 2 years for another Negro, Havison Griffin, who is a tenant on the farm of W.C. Weeks of Arlington.

Justice King rendered a verdict in accordance with the above facts.

Arlington Journal



We are sorry to report the death of Mr. Bonta. He died Saturday at 9 p.m. He died of pneumonia, and leaves a wife, 4 children and many friends to mourn his loss. He was laid to rest in the Arlington cemetery Sunday afternoon.

Mrs. F.A. Hood returned Saturday from Alabama where she had been at the bedside of her brother, Mr. Williamson. Monday she received a telegram telling of her brother's death. Her many friends join in loving sympathy with the family.

Arlington Journal





DALLAS, JANUARY 28--While on a visit to Dallas friends, T.D. Campbell, father of Governor Campbell, was stricken with a case of pneumonia. He was taken to St. Paul's sanitarium, where, despite the best of medical care, he passed away at 12:40 o'clock this morning.

Just a few minutes prior to his attack on Tuesday evening, as he sat and conversed with friends, Mr. Campbell appeared to be in the best of health and spirits. He had discussed the propositions of attending the evening performance at a local theater, and would have gone, but was taken suddenly ill.

Dr. C.M. Rosser, an intimate friend of the family, who was called, at once had the aged man removed to the sanitarium. His condition became steadily worse, so the governor and other relatives were notified. Dr. Rosser had remained constantly at his bedside. Mitchell Campbell, son of the governor, had come in from Ft. Worth and was in the room. James N. Campbell, brother of the governor, had arrived early in the evening from Longview. He too, was with his father to the last.

Wednesday morning Dr. Rosser telephoned Governor Campbell of the condition of his father. The Governor immediately began to arrange for the journey to Dallas. He was unable to make the morning trains, but departed at night for this city. He arrived early Thursday morning.

The body was taken to a local undertaker's and prepared for shipment to Longview where it was sent on the 11 o'clock eastbound Texas and Pacific train.

T.D. Campbell of Campbell, Tx. and James N. Campbell of Longview, sons, and J.A. Campbell of Jackson, a brother of the sick man, were also notified. James N. Campbell arrived at 7:30 o'clock Wednesday night. Mitchell Campbell, the governor's son, was located at Ft. Worth, and also hastened to the bedside of his grandfather.

Thomas Duncan Campbell was born at Happyville, S.C., on May 2, 1832, and was the son of Enos Campbell, a well known South Carolinian. While Thomas Duncan Campbell was quite young the family moved to Walker county, Georgia, and there he was brought up. In 1851 he married Miss Rachael Moore at Ringgold, Ga., and 4 years later moved to Texas, settling at Rusk, Cherokee Co. He lived there until he enlisted in the confederate army and served with distinction in Captain Maple's Company. After the war Thomas Duncan Campbell merchandised at Jacksonville, Cherokee co., and in 1870 moved to Longview, Gregg co., where he engaged in the cotton and mercantile business. In the early 80's he served as sheriff of Gregg co., and about 10 years later moved to Greenville, Hunt co. where he has since continued to reside.

His only surviving child by his first wife is the present Governor of Texas. His first wife died at Jacksonville in May, 1864. His second wife was Miss Cynthia D. Carroll of Mansfield, La., to whom he was married in June, 1865, and from which union 3 children are now living, Judges James N. Campbell of Longview, John E. and Thomas Duncan Campbell of Campbell, Hunt co. Governor Campbell had 2 full brothers and a sister, but all three are now dead. His father's second wife died in 1884, and Mr. Campbell was married a third time to Mrs. Virginia McDougal at Greenville __________died in 1905.

Mr. Campbell was a resident of Greenville.

Arlington Journal



Mrs. Ketchum of Arlington, mother of Mrs. Hub Harrison, was buried at Johnson Station Thursday, January 21.

Arlington Journal



Mrs. Logan Britton, after a short illness with pneumonia, died at 7 p.m. last Wednesday night. Her father, J.M. Carlysle, of Jones county, came to her bedside just before she died. She leaves a husband and 3 small children besides her parents and brothers and sisters bereaved at her loss. The remains were put to rest in Watson cemetery at 2 p.m. yesterday. Mrs. Britton was a sister of Mrs. J.H. Douglass, of Arlington. She was a good woman, and told Brother Wallace she was ready to go.

Arlington Journal




Recently at Marlow, Okla., the 18 month's old son of Mr. and Mrs. A.G. Swackhammer, who formerly resided in Arlington met a sad fate. The little fellow in company with a little girl of 4 years, went to the barn and not knowing the danger struck matches and set fire to some loose hay. The entire barn soon was ignited, the little girl made her escape from the burning structure, but the boy was not so lucky or did not understand the danger. An older brother tried to rescue the little fellow, but his efforts were all in vain.

About the time the mother, Mrs. Swackhammer, discovered the flames which were a roaring furnace and dashed to the rescue of her baby. It took the effort of several men to keep her from entering the burning barn. One of the men present rushed in and brought the little fellow out, but he was so badly burned that he only lived a few moments.

The Journal as well as the many friends of the bereaved family extend to them their deep sympathy.






DALLAS, FEB. 18--A frightful accident occurred near Eagle Ford, 6 miles west of this city.

Charles Barnes and Lem Young, aged 18 years, picked up a number of dynamite cartridges where a powder house is located, near the crossing of the Texas and Pacific railway and a county road. The impression is that one of the parties set fire to a firecracker and the concussion exploded the death-dealing cartridges in their pockets. In an instant a terrible explosion occurred, the detonation of which was heard in the eastern part of Dallas, over 10 miles away.

An arm of Charles Barnes was torn from his body, he was disemboweled and otherwise terribly mangled. His death was instantaneous. The other youth lingered a few minutes before death relieved him of his sufferings. His body was also badly disfigured.

The explosion occurred just before 10 o'clock Wednesday morning.

There were several other boys in company with the two, but none of them sustained anything more serious than a severe shaking up.

The Barnes boy resided with his parents in a tent in the vicinity of Eagle Ford, while the other unfortunate boy also resided with his family in that neighborhood.

Arlington Journal



Mrs. Lee Lambert was called Tuesday to the bedside of her sister, Mrs. J.W. Fuller of Tarrant, who was seriously ill and died Saturday. Mr. Lambert and family returned home Sunday.



We wish to thank those who were so kind as to render us assistance during our daughters illness and sympathy since her death, which occurred Sunday. These remembrances will ever be appreciated by a sorrowing family. Mr. and Mrs. C.F. Webber.

Arlington Journal



Tom Adkins called on the Journal the first of this week and told us of the death of his father, W.M. Adkins, at Vanroo, Ala., which occurred Tuesday of last week. Mr. Adkins was apparently in good health until about 20 or 24 hours before his death, when he was stricken with paralysis, from which he died.

Tom was in the Panhandle at the time and did not receive the sad missive of death until his father had been buried.



Mr. and Mrs. W.S. Johnson went to Dallas yesterday (Thursday) morning where they were called on account of the death of Mrs. Johnson's brother, D.R. Long.

Mr. Long was an ex-confederate soldier, a resident of Dallas about 40 years, and was known as a good citizen. He had been in bad health a number of years, and died Wednesday, March 3.



W.H. Williamson died at his residence at Paint Rock, Ala., January 20, 1909--age 51 years.

Mr. Williamson was born and reared in Jackson county, Ala., and was well known and esteemed throughout that section as an honest, upright citizen, always ready to stand for the right and good of his country.

Early in life he became a Christian and joined the Baptist church of which body he was a faithful, consistent member, assisting in all things pertaining to its prosperity, at the same time contributing to the support of the churches in his vicinity.

To him the command, "Love thy neighbor as thyself," had a broader meaning than to most men. He was noted for his kind and tender feeling towards his fellowmen, always ready to lend a helping hand to those in need.

The death of his father left him at the age of 14 the main support of his mother and sisters. Strong hearted, he assumed the management of the farm with the same energy and perseverance that characterized his entire life, winning the commendation of his neighbors and the respect of all who knew him. Though his duties deprived him for sometime of the advantages of school, he was not discouraged and after attaining manhood was enabled to finish his education at the Normal College of Winchester, Tenn. For a time he was a successful teacher in the schools of his county, but retired from that profession to take charge of a large estate near Paint Rock, which business he conducted with marked success, acquiring considerable property.

In 1896 he was married to Miss Etta Beckman of Gurley, Ala., but their happiness was short lived. The young wife contracted consumption and after a few months spent in fruitless travel and search of relief, returned to their home where she lived only a short time. Her death cast a gloom over his life that was never lifted. Having no children of his own, he reared and educated 3 of his orphan nephews, to whom he gave a father's counsel and help.

His health began to fall about 5 years ago; obtaining no relief from home physicians, he went to New York to consult an eminent specialist; still receiving no encouragement he went to Mexico last August. He spent sometime there but constantly grew weaker and returned home where he lingered through many weeks of suffering until God said, "It is enough," and the Angel of death reached down and softly closing the tired eyes and stilling the brave, true heart, gathered his spirit home with those who were waiting there and the Lord whom he had served.

Two sisters, Mrs. Bettie Hood of Arlington and Mrs. Wm. Eustace of Princeton, Ala., survive him. A friend.



The Journal reproduces the following from the Dallas News of last Sunday, from Handley:

Rufus Washburn, one of the oldest residents of this section, died at 6:30 this morning. Mr. Washburn was born in Depoyster, St. Lawrence county, N.Y., June 2, 1823. He came to Dallas county, Texas, in 1875 and to Handley in 1877. He suffered a stroke of apoplexy more than a week ago. He leaves a widow, 2 daughters, Mrs. James Stuart of Ft. Worth and Mrs. P.F. Covington of this place, and 1 son, Frank Washburn of Ft. Worth.

Funeral services will be held at the Union Church at 3 p.m. tomorrow.

Arlington Journal

FRIDAY - MARCH 12, 1909


Mrs. J.A. Watson, known and loved by all who knew her as "Aunt Jennie," died at her home in the Watson community settlement Tuesday, March 9th, 1909 at 7:25 a.m., of a stroke of paralysis. She was in her 64th year and her death breaks up the last of the old families in that magnificent settlement. She was buried in the Watson cemetery Wednesday at 2 p.m., followed by a very large concourse of people. Services were held by her pastor, Rev. Mr. Collier, assisted by Rev. W.T. Thurman, pastor of the Presbyterian church in Arlington. A sketch of her life will appear next week. (not found)

J.W. Martin and daughter, Miss Annie, came from May to attend the funeral of his sister Thursday, Mrs. J.A. Watson.

Arlington Journal

FRIDAY - MARCH 19, 1909

T.C. Bunch, who was formerly a resident of Arlington, but recently of Ft. Worth, died Tuesday afternoon in the latter city. Mr. Bunch was well known here. He was a traveling representative for H.W. Williams and Co., drug concern of Ft. Worth.

Arlington Journal

FRIDAY - APRIL 23, 1909

Mrs. B.H. Schuite, who many friends remember as having come here for her health about 2 years ago died at her home in Hopedale, Ill., April 2nd. Notice was just received here this week. Mr. Schuite has a number of friends here who sympathize with him.

Arlington Journal

FRIDAY - APRIL 30, 1909


Miss Lillie Coleman, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. T.S. Coleman, died at Llano Sanitarium last Friday night. She was reared in Arlington and was a teacher in the school here several years ago. She was an esteemed woman and her many friends will regret to hear of her death. She was taken to Bellevue Sunday for interment where the family now reside. We extend to the bereaved family our most heartfelt sympathy.

Arlington Journal

FRIDAY - MAY 7, 1909


Four months ago Mr. James A. Hasian came to the Great Arlington Country for his health and stopped out in the country about 3 miles east of town. Some weeks ago while shaving the door slammed and hit his elbow, causing him to cut his eye ball out and otherwise slash his face. Since then, being consumptive, he gradually sank and died Wednesday.



Mr. and Mrs. W.E. Futrell of Arlington recently received the news that her brother, Judge Eugene Johnson, was dead. He was one of the most prominent men in Mississippi. For several years a judge of the circuit court in the second Congressional district of north Mississippi. A more honorable man of strictest integrity never lived. He was an able jurist, a learned scholar, and successful lawyer. His widow and three sons survive him, of which two are lawyers and one a minister of the Gospel. His many friends will lament his death.

Arlington Journal

FRIDAY - MAY 14, 1909


Mrs. Haskins carried Mr. Haskins back to Kansas City, their former home, for burial. Mrs. Haskins is expected back home the last of the week. She has come to no decision as to what she will do in the future.

Mrs. Haskins who came here as a stranger a few months ago with her sick husband, and found warm hearted friends desires to thus express her gratitude: "I wish to express my sincere thanks through the Journal for my dear friends and neighbors for their kind assistance rendered to me during the illness and death of our dear husband and father. Each and everyone will be remembered in our prayers-Mrs. Haskins and son, Earl.

Arlington Journal

FRIDAY - MAY 21, 1909

CARD OF THANKS-wife's death-W.E. Neal.


J.W. Chapman, father of Mrs. S.S. Davinson of this city, died at his home in Dallas Wednesday. Mr. Chapman, who was 76 years old, was well known by a number of Arlington people.

Arlington Journal

FRIDAY - JUNE 4, 1909


Friday, May 28, 1909, Henry L. Newman, who had been a resident of this county for more than 40 years, died here. He was in his 90th year; was overseer for Jeff Davis' plantation in Mississippi when the Mexican War broke out and joined Col. Davis in the Mississippi rifles which, so said Gen. Taylor, saved the day in that war. He was also a veteran of the confederacy. He was born in Florence, Ala. He leaves 2 sons and a daughter. His two sons are Riley, living here, and Green Newman, living at Hamlin, Tex.



J.E. Webb, after a long illness, died Sunday morning, May 30 at 6 o'clock. Interment at Johnson Station cemetery Monday, May 31 at 2 p.m. The services were conducted by Rev. D.C. Sibley of Arlington.

Arlington Journal

FRIDAY - JUNE 11, 1909


Mrs. R.J. Lee, who formerly conducted a millinery establishment in Arlington, died Monday and was buried by the Ladies of the Woodmen Circle of Arlington Tuesday. Mrs. Lee was 41 years old and leaves a husband and 6 children. One son Robert, 13 years of age, is very low with typhoid fever, but was reported some better yesterday. Mr. Lee was not at home when his wife died, and had not been able to get here before her burial. He was expected to arrive last night. The family has lived in Arlington about 16 months and are possessed of property affording a comfortable living.

Arlington Journal

FRIDAY - JUNE 18, 1909


Miss Mary Sullivan, an aunt of our esteemed townsmen, Prof. F.E. Butler, departed this life June 12th. Funeral services were conducted at the home at 9 a.m. June 13th by Rev. D.C. Sibley, after which the body was placed aboard the train for Springridge, La., where interment will be made. Miss Sullivan was 69 years of age.

She leaves a brother who is 89 years of age who has been her constant companion all along life's journey, as neither of them were married. May God bless and sustain Uncle Jeff, as he is familiarly known; and also the family of brother and sister Butler, who so patiently cared for them in their sad hour.



Alvin Lamar, a highly respected citizen of the Webb community, after a brief illness, departed this life June 11th, 1909. Funeral services were conducted by Rev. D.C. Sibley, at the Methodist church in Arlington, June 12th at 2:30 p.m., and interment was at the Arlington cemetery, conducted by the Masonic Fraternity, of which he was a member. The great crowd that attended the services indicated the esteem in which he was held by the city and entire community. Mr. Lamar was 31 years of age and was never married. He leaves three brothers and two sisters, one brother and the sisters living at Fish Creek.

Alvin Lamar, who so suddenly died out on Frank McKnight's farm last Friday, left a brother Dent, and two sisters, Mrs. Myron Robinson and Mrs. May Willis, at Fish Creek, and two brothers, C.V. and J.D. Lamar, in Alabama.

Arlington Journal

FRIDAY - JULY 2, 1909


There was never a sadder death, nor one more generally mourned, than that of Mrs. Oscar Cooper at Jacksboro last Sunday, 27inst, Rev. Oscar Cooper, son of Mr. and Mrs. J.D. Cooper of Arlington, was born and reared here, and his friends were all who knew him. He and Miss Mary Thomas, of Terrell, were married last October and went to Jacksboro to make their home this year in the Methodist parsonage, her husband being the brilliant pastor of the church there. The Sunday before she died she was taken sick while Mr. Cooper was attending a service, but said she was not very ill, and little attention was paid to it until in the night she become very much worse and soon passed almost into a semi-conscious state. The best medical skill was obtained but it was soon found her condition was serious. By Tuesday afternoon telegrams were sent to her parents and to Mr. Cooper's family here summoning them to Jacksboro. Mr. and Mrs. Cooper went immediately and Mrs. Cooper was with them to the end, which came Sunday last-exactly a week from the time she was taken sick.

The stricken husband was surrounded with those nearest to him next to the gentle, sweet wife who had just parted to await his coming to their eternal home. They were married last October and life seemed to hold for them all the brightness that comes to those who are striving to be useful to their fellowmen. Both were well equipped for their lifework. Miss Mary was born in a parsonage, her father being Rev. O.S. Thomas, of the North Texas conference. She was a graduate of Southwestern university, where she made a brilliant record, not only for her studiousness, but for her gentle, sweet, winning Christian character. She was a general favorite with both faculty and student-body.

The funeral took place here in Arl. at the Methodist church. A large number of the relatives and friends of both hers and her husband's family coming from a distance to attend. Rev. George C. Rankin, D.D., editor of the Texas Christian Advocate, who is serving as pastor during the absence of Rev. E.R. Wallace, conducting the services. Dr. Rankin was assisted by Rev. W.H. ("Buck") Hughes of Dallas, who had known deceased all her life, being an intimate friend of her parents for more than 30 years, Rev. E.W. Alderson, D.D., of Greenville, who was Mrs. Cooper's pastor and also a life- long friend of the family, Rev. J.W. Hill of Dallas, pastor of First church, also a life-long friend of the family, and formerly Mrs. Cooper's pastor, Rev. J.M. Peterson, presiding elder of the Dallas district, likewise a life-long friend of Rev. and Mrs. O.S. Thomas and Rev. L.S. Barton presiding elder of the Decatur district, of which district Rev. Oscar Cooper is a member, Jacksboro being in that district.

Mr. W.C. Everett, manager of Southwestern branch of the great Methodist Publishing House in Dallas came over to attend the funeral as did a number of the young men and women employed there, Mr. Henry Thomas, brother of deceased, being one of the office force. A very touching tribute paid by the Jacksboro church to the departed wife of their pastor, showing the love and esteem they had for and in which the pastor and his wife were held, was that of the pall bearers being the stewards of the church there. These were S.O. Callahan, Walter Isbel, Lee Stark, J.R. Rich, J.C. Brown, W.O. Gwaitney, J.P. Newell and W.B. Kerr.

Mr. John Yates, leader of the Methodist choir here, had them practice several of the hymns that were favorites of Mrs. Cooper-"Lead Kindly Light," that hymn of Cardinal Newman's that has been pronounced the greatest hymn of the past century, "How form a foundation, ye saints of the Lord," George Heber's hymn of universal comfort, "Come ye Disconsolate," Tom Moore's greatest Christian poem, "Asleep in Jesus, Blessed Sleep," which has been sung over more Christians than any other, probably.

In addition to the beautiful burial service of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South, Dr. Alderson offered a most touching, appropriate prayer, and the talks were both consoling to relatives and friends and all Christian hearts and inspiring to all who heard. The church was crowded, despite the day was the warmest of the year, so far. Interment was in the Cooper lots in the Arl. cemetery. It has been a long time since Arl. had a funeral so largely attended, and perhaps never one in which almost every one felt such a sense of personal loss. All members of the Cooper family were present.

To the stricken hearts the Journal will not attempt to offer words that will assuage their grief. Words but imperfectly convey thought at best, and at such a time as this acts and deeds of loving friendship must speak while grief is dumb. But their consolation must be-and is-in the belief that though she "cannot come to them, they can go to her." Even Col. Ingersoll's love would not accept his scoffing dogma (for he was the greatest of dogmatists) for, when he stood beside the open grave of his dead brother in Washington, broken hearted, his heart spoke for the man: "In the darkness of death Hope sees a star, and Love hears the rustle of a wing." We shall leave with them, as the best that humanity has ever yet had for the sure foundation of its hope, the promises of God, and will conclude the beautiful poem of Tom Moore-part of the hymn sung at the services Monday, and which was omitted. We give it here as the sentiment that can alone "bind up the broken heart" and wipe tears from sorrow- streaming eyes: "Go ask the infidel what boon he brings us; What charms for aching hearts he can reveal, Sweet as the heavenly promise Hope sings us: Earth hath no sorrow that God cannot heal."



Brought together by the sorrow that came through the sudden death of the wife of Rev. Oscar P. Cooper, Mr. and Mrs. J.D. Cooper had all their children with them last Monday and Tuesday for the first time in about 15 years. Dr. J.M. Cooper, wife and daughter, and W.D. Cooper both of Enid, Oklahoma, J.N. Cooper, who lives in Arlington, and his family, Rev. Oscar P. Cooper, pastor of the Methodist church at Jacksboro and Horace Cooper, who lives with his parents at the old home, all gathered around the family hearthstone. No professional photographer, being in town (Mr. Mahanay is off enjoying a vacation at his sisters in Mineral Wells) Mr. W.A. Bowen of the Journal took the family group for them Tuesday afternoon with his large field camera.



After an illness with typhoid fever of one month and two days, Dixie Mayes, aged fifteen years, died at the home of her parents, Mr. and Mrs. W. R. Mayes, in the eastern part of Arlington last Saturday afternoon at 2 o'clock. Dixie was a very bright girl, winsome, loveable, possessed an extra alert mind and was one of the best students in the High school. She was a member of the Christian church and of that Sunday school, and the teacher and class attended her funeral Sunday afternoon in a body. A large number of her class mates were also in attendance, mingling genuine tears of sympathetic sorrow with the father and sister at the grave, in expression of their love for dear little Dixie. The pathetic incident was that her mother, and also one of her sisters, Hattie, were unable to attend, as both are down with the same fever. The services were conducted by Rev. B.F. Wilson, pastor of the Christian church and were very impressive. He made a touching talk, speaking of the beautiful Christian life of Dixie, and of her promising young womanhood.

The entire community sincerely sympathies with the stricken family, and trusts that the mother and sister may speedily recover that the pall of grief may not become darker and heavier.


Go Back

Tarrant County, TXGenWeb
Copyright © 1999, All rights reserved

This page was last modified 20 Nov 1999.