Tarrant County TXGenWeb - Arlington Obituaries - 1908 (part 3 of 3)


FRIDAY---JULY 3, 1908

Placing a 38-caliber pistol close against her right temple,
Miss Rosa Hearne, daughter of a prominent Baptist preacher of Arlington, ended her life in the waiting room of the Interurban depot in this city Saturday morning.

Temporary mental derangement is ascribed as the cause of the rash act.

The family intended to move to Midlothian, in Ellis co., on Monday following, and Miss Rosa was opposed to leaving Arlington. She had told a number of her friends, as well as rural mail carrier Goodman, who delivered the mail at her home everyday, that she would rather die than leave the town.

Station Agent B.A. Mathers, Assistant Agent Herbert Bailey and a man named Woods were in the station when the shot was fired. Miss Hearne had arrived from Oak Cliff on the 7:53 car. She went to the post office, where she mailed a letter. Leaving the office she went to the jewelry store of Noah Deal, and left a pair of glasses to be repaired. She then returned to the station, entering very hurriedly. She dropped, rather than sat down upon a bench in the waiting room and taking the pistol from a handbag which she carried, fired. The bullet passed completely through the young woman's head and glancing from the iron grating which separated the office from the waiting room, fell to the floor.

A physician was immediately summoned, and the young woman was carried to the home of Mrs. J.A. Duckett, 2 blocks away. Death did not occur until 2 hours later, but Miss Hearne never for a moment became conscious.

A brother and a sister of the girl were in town at the time, though they had not seen their sister before the act was committed. The father was in Red Oak, conducting a revival meeting. He was notified and left at once for his home. The mother of the young woman is an invalid, having been confined to her bed for seven years as a result of a paralytic stroke. The news of her daughter's rash act was a terrible shock, and her condition is critical.

Miss Hearne left her home Friday afternoon, telling her sister as she kissed her good-bye that she was going to Oak Cliff to take her music lesson and would be back Saturday morning on the 7:53 car. Coming to town, she went into Coulter and Sons' drug store, where she purchased an ounce of chloroform indicating that she had self- destruction in mind.

An examination of the handbag, after the fatal act disclosed the chloroform bottle apparently untouched it is not known where she procured the pistol, which was brand new.

In Oak Cliff she spent the night with a cousin. Arriving in Arlington Saturday morning, she went to the post office and mailed a letter, to whom is not known. She left no last message, unless it was contained in this letter.

On her way from the post office she spoke to F.P. Day, a prominent real estate dealer. He states that she seemed rather depressed.

Entering Noah Deal's jewelry store she said to the clerk, Mr. Jones, "Do I owe you folks anything?" He told her he thought not, but she insisted upon him looking on the books. When he told her that there was nothing charged to her account, she left a pair of eye glasses for some slight repair. The two clerks in the store state that her manner was peculiar, and that she was very pale. Normally a very sociable and merry-hearted girl, she appeared to be laboring under some terrible strain. The 2 men had barely remarked upon her peculiar manner when they heard the shot which ended her life.

Miss Hearne was a member of the Baptist church, and was a devoted worker in the congregation at Arlington. She was always in her place in the choir, and was active in the social work of the congregation. She possessed many accomplishments, having been educated in the Texas Baptist University. As a musician, she was singularly apt, and was making rapid progress. She was well liked by the young people of the city, with whom she was constantly thrown in her church and social relations.

The father, Rev. J.O. Hearne, is one of the most prominent Baptist preachers in the state. He was for 4 years pastor of the Abbott church in Hillsboro, 6 years pastor at the Baptist church at Itasca, and for 2 years pastor of the First Baptist church of Oak Cliff. He was one of the leaders in the movement which resulted in the founding of the Texas Baptist University.

The deceased is survived by her parents, three brothers and one sister.

Funeral services were conducted from the Baptist church Sunday afternoon, by the pastor, Rev A.S. Hall, and Rev Dr Hayden of Dallas.

The crowd was so large that the service was held outside, the Baptist church being too small to accommodate the large number of friends and acquaintances. The mother of the dead girl was unable to attend the service; the father is prostrated over the sad occurrence.

Mrs. W.J. Collins died Thursday morning as a result of a lingering illness. Mrs. Collins was well known here and is survived by many relatives. She was the mother of Dr. J.D. Collins, Kelly Collins, Benton Collins, Rev. Arch Collins of Ft. Worth, and Mrs. Alexander. Mrs. Alexander's home is in West Texas but she was at her mother's bedside when the end came. Mrs. Collins died at the home of her son, Kelly Collins. Funeral arrangements are not yet complete.

The remains of
Mr. Wright, a young man of 26 years, were shipped here for burial Tuesday. Mr. Wright was formerly a young boy of our community but was making Austin his home at his death. He had gone to Colorado about 3 weeks ago for his health and died while there. The deceased leaves a wife and 3 children. May the Journal join us in extending heartfelt sympathy to the bereaved.


FRIDAY---JULY 17, 1908

I wish to thank the many friends and relatives in and around Arlington for the kindness shown during the sickness of my wife and death of our baby,
Maude. J.E. Graham.


FRIDAY---JULY 24, 1908

Mrs. John McGrew died at her home in the Watson community Sunday evening at the advanced age of 75 years. Mrs. McGrew, had lived in the vicinity of Arlington for the past 30 years, and was loved by all who knew her for her many virtues. Funeral services were held Monday afternoon, followed by interment. The deceased is survived by her husband, who is now 80 years of age and by a brother, Joe Potts.

As the result of the accidental discharge of an old pistol out of repair,
R.A. West, a farmer, aged about 50 years, rests beneath the sod in the Euless cemetery and his son, James West, who has just reached his majority, is filled with remorse and despair, because the gun from which the fatal bullet sped was in his hands when it was discharged.

The accident occurred on the farm where the West family resides, 5 miles northwest of Grapevine, Monday morning. According to all accounts the father and son were engaged in cleaning the pistol or at least in attempting to repair it. They were in the farm house at the time. The pistol was a 38-caliber and could not be made to work. The father looked at it and tried to remedy the defects, but was unable to do so. The son then took it and in his concentration upon the gun itself he did not see which way it was pointing. Anyhow, he did not think the weapon was loaded. Just at this instant history repeated itself.

The gun was discharged in some unaccountable manner and the ball sped straight toward the elder West, striking him in the neck and severing the jugular vein. It was miles to the nearest physician and before any assistance could be given the wounded man, the bright red arterial blood had ebbed from his body from the gaping wound and he was dead.

News of the accident was sent to Grapevine and immediately Justice McKee left for the scene of the tragedy. He viewed the remains and impaneled a coroner's jury. After hearing the testimony the jury returned the verdict that the shooting had been accidental.

The funeral services were held Tuesday morning and the remains were interred at Euless cemetery. The deceased leaves a wife and a large family. He formerly resided at Euless and had been living on the farm near Grapevine only since the first of the year.


FRIDAY---JULY 31, 1908


GREENVILLE, TX., JULY 28-Ted Smith, a negro boy, 18 years old, charged with criminal assault upon Miss Viola Delancey at Clinton, Hunt Co., yesterday afternoon, was captured by officers at 2 o'clock this morning. He was taken before the young lady and identified.

The prisoner was then hurried to the local jail. There a mob overpowered the officers, took and prisoner and prepared to hang him.

This idea was given up, however, and the mob agreed to burn him. Fagots were piled up in the public square and the negro was placed thereon. Oil was poured on and a match applied.

Smith slowly burned to death while 1,000 people witnessed the man's execution.

Sheriff D.L. Hensell, Chief of Police W.F. Norman and other officers kept the mob quiet until 8 o'clock this morning, when they went to the jail and told the sheriff that if the officers did not take the negro to the Delancey home where the girl could identify him them would take him out and mob him.

Sheriff Hemsell made the crowd promise that if the officers should take the prisoner for identification they would allow him to be safely returned to jail. This they consented to and the officers started with the prisoner to the Delancey home, followed by a large crowd.

Upon returning with the negro about 9 o'clock the officers, on reaching the jail door, were overpowered and relieved of their prisoner. The crowd took the negro to the public square, dragging him with a rope around his neck. There they placed a cord of wood around him and poured oil on the negro and wood and set fire to the pile. As the wood burned more was hauled and piled on the blaze and it was kept going for an hour or two.

It was predicted all night that a burning or a hanging could not be averted, as the people from the country poured into town when the affair was heralded over the country that the negro had been brought to the Greenville jail. A large number of people came over from Farmersville on a train which reached here at 10 o'clock this morning, but they arrived only in time to see the charred remains burning.

In overpowering the officers at the jail officer Southall was hurt by the mob more seriously than any of the others.

When the negro was taken to the Delancey home
Miss Viola Delancey, the victim of the black, was very positive in her identification, and said, "That is the negro who did the deed." The negro then screamed, "Oh, my lord." He did not make a statement, but was scarcely given time after being taken from the officers, as a rope was thrown around his neck and he was dragged to the place where the burning occurred.

During the burning a negro on the public square made some slight remark and the mob proceeded to give him a terrific beating. After that negroes were very scarce on the streets.

Smith was the first negro to be burned to death by a mob in Hunt Co.

Judge R.L. Porter, Judge T.D. Montrose of the eighth judicial and others made short speeches to the crowd, trying to keep it from doing anything, but soon after the speeches the mob demanded the negro be taken before the girl for identification.

R.H. Delancey, father of the girl, was one of a number who made no promises to the officers.

It was a quiet and rather orderly crowd. No guns were discharged.

The fire was kept burning on the remains until the middle of the afternoon and all of the bones were consumed, not a piece as large as a man's finger being left.

When asked for a statement concerning the assault and subsequent punishment today, Chief of Police Norman said.

"As a peace officer I think the law is supreme and should always be invoked. Sometimes special occasions occur where the people take the law into their own hands and pass judgment and punish accordingly.

"As to whether the people acted hastily or not I can not say, as immediately after I placed the negro in jail I went to bed and did not awake until my wife called me and said the mob had taken the negro away from the sheriff.

"Sheriff Hemsell was at the scene of the assault when I got there and worked hard and efficiently to run down the negro, and I think his work during the chase and afterward was all that could be asked of any officer. He and his deputies were right on the dot at all times. I was undecided as to whether it were best to bring the negro into the city last night and acted on the sheriff's advice, bringing the prisoner in at 4:30 this morning.

"As to the details of the chase I guess I was just lucky enough to get there early, had good assistance and happened to get to the negro first; some of the other boys would have caught him, anyhow.

"As to his identity, I am as certain of it as I live that the negro burned on the public square this morning was the one who assaulted the little girl."



B.L. Carpenter, aged 40 years, died Sunday. Cancer was the cause of death. The deceased was not well known in Arlington having lived here but a short time. Interment was made in the Arlington cemetery.

Charles Cone died in a sanitarium in Fort Worth early Sunday morning, following an operation for appendicitis. Mr. Cone never rallied after the operation. He was a brother of City Marshall Cone, and a highly respected young man. He is survived by a wife and two small children. The remains were shipped to Kosse for interment.



The remains of
Mrs. Lizzie Mason, formerly of Arlington but lately of El Paso, arrived here Sunday and Monday afternoon funeral services were held from the Methodist church conducted by the pastor, Rev. Ed R. Wallace. Interment was made in the Arlington cemetery.

The funeral was largely attended as Mrs. Mason had many friends in this city. A singular coincidence lay in the fact that exactly five months ago to the day, Joseph Mason, the husband of the deceased was buried in the same cemetery, he also having died in El Paso.

Mrs. Mason is survived by three daughters, Mrs. Mattie Eaves and Mrs. W.M. Swift of Arlington and Miss Lulu Mason of El Paso.

Mr. and Mrs. G.T. Burton went to Grandview Saturday to attend the funeral of Mr. Burton's brother. They returned Monday.



The family of
Mr. and Mrs. W.A. Nichols received the sad intelligence Thurs. of the death of Mrs. Annie Griffin, nee Dilworth, at Milford, which occurred Saturday. "Annie", as the Journal editor has known her from early boyhood, was indeed a noble and lovable woman, and was loved by all who came in contact with her.

She leaves a devoted husband, Holman Griffin, and two small children. Her father and mother, two sisters and a brother also survive her.

Holman is a nephew of Mr. W.F. McElreath of Johnson Station. He is postmaster at Milford.



Oct 30th
S.B. Glazner died at his home in this city and was buried Saturday, Oct. 31st, from the Baptist church, of which he had been a member more than 70 yrs. Rev A.S. Hall, the pastor, conducted the services at the church and the Masons at the grave. Almost every business and professional man in town with their families attended the funeral. He was a good man, a good citizen an example for the highest and most intelligent type of manhood to the young. He had lived in this county since 1882 and in Arlington for many years.

Mr. Glazner was born in Pickens county S.C., March 22nd, 1817--hence was almost 91 years old when he died. He leaves, besides his wife (his second marriage) four sons and three daughters, about 40 grandchildren and about 10 great-grandchildren. A number of his children and grandchildren live in Arlington.



Dr. Tom Childress, whose son died suddenly of heart failure on Sunday, Oct. 27th, gave expression to beautiful sentiment, in speaking of the burial of that splendid young man at Cleburne, his former home.

"We are great folks to keep our sorrows to ourselves," said the doctor; "but I guess that is wrong. Why, do you know, the many expressions of sympathy and friendship that we met when we arrived at our old home with our boy--expressions conveyed in the tenderest and most delicate manner, made the place, the day, the surroundings, the people seem beautiful beyond compare. After all, it is such occasions and sentiments as these that show us the world is really akin--that we are common brothers. I shall always have a tender feeling for others and think less of my own sorrows after such expressions of love and sympathy as has come to us in our great grief."

Charlie Childress was a noble young man, only 22 years old, and came back from the North a few weeks before he died, in company with his younger brother, Clyde, who is still in Arlington.



On Sunday morning last the entire city was thrown into sorrow over the announcement that
Jesse R. McKinley was dead. Though he had been pronounced quite ill, his death, after only a few days sickness, was a shock. Monday when he was buried every business house was closed and the citizenship of Arlington turned out to pay respect to the most exemplary young man. Jesse McKinley, son of our eminent citizen, merchant and councilman, Jesse S. McKinley, was reared in our midst, and was a most exemplary young man. He was secretary of the Volunteer Fire Dept., City Secretary and a member of the Commercial Club. The funeral services were held at the Baptist church, of which Mr. McKinley was a member, his pastor, Rev. A.S. Hall conducting the services assisted by Rev. W.T. Thurman, of the Presbyterian church. The services at the grave were conducted by the Woodmen of the World.

There has never been a sadder funeral here. One of the specially pathetic incidents was that his death occurred just 3 days after the first anniversary of his marriage and his young wife's grief was very touching and brought tears to all eyes.

Jesse R. McKinley was born Oct. 23, 1882, and died Nov. 15, 1908 being just 26 years and 23 days old at his death. Nov. 12, 1907, he was married to Miss Marie Watson. The sorrow of the father and mother was made more poignant by the fact that about 3 years ago their other son, just budding into manhood, died after a short illness--from the same complaint that took off Jesse--suppossed to be appendicitis.

The entire community earnestly and heartily sympathize with the family.

We extend our heartfelt thanks to our many dear friends for their numerous acts of kindness and tender sympathies shown us on the death of our loved one, and those who visited her during her continued illness and spoke words of cheer and consolation, and brightened the dark hour of suffering. May the Lord's richest blessings be upon you in our prayer.
O.L. Noonan? and children.

Mrs. Norman, who lived with her son near the southern part of the city was buried last Friday.



This page was last modified 29 Nov 1998.