Tarrant County TXGenWeb - Arlington Obituaries - 1908 (part 2 of 3)


FRIDAY---APRIL 3, 1908

F.R. Wallace has returned from Abilene where he attended the funeral of his sister, Miss Dora Wallace. Miss Wallace formerly lived at Mansfield, but was well known by many Arlington people.


FRIDAY---APRIL 17, 1908


Dr. A.K. Middleton, one of the most remarkable citizens of Tarrant county and of Texas, died here Tuesday. He came to Texas in 1850, settling near Jacksonville, though that town was hardly established. Following the Civil War in 1869, he moved to Johnson Station in Tarrant county, where he lived until some ten years ago, when he came to Arlington.

Had Dr. Middleton lived until December 29, he would have been 79 years of age. His long life was most eventful. He was born in Athens, Tenn. Choosing the profession of medicine, he was graduated from the Louisville Medical College in 1851. He followed the practice in Cherokee county of this state until the outbreak of the Civil War, when he offered his professional services to the army of his country. He was enlisted as a surgeon in the Trans-Mississippi department, being in Col. Camp's regiment of Walker's division. He was present at Mansfield and every other important engagement in which his regiment participated, staying with the army through the war.

Moving to this county shortly after the cessation of hostilities in 1873, Dr. Middleton was chosen to represent Tarrant, Dallas, Ellis and Denton counties in the legislature, this territory being then included in the legislative district.

Dr. Middleton was selected on the ticket with Governor Coke, and participated in the stirring events which culminated in the driving out of the "carpet baggers." His memory of these days were vivid throughout his life, and he never failed to draw from them for the benefit of his young friends, pointed lessons as to the blessings of free government.

Dr. Middleton was a man of rare intellect and was up to his last illness, a student. He was a subscriber to a number of daily papers and magazines and was better posted upon the live topics and issues of the day than is many young men. In private and public life, he was honest in every detail regarding nothing as too small for the application of his rigidly upright principles.

Up to the last, the reverend old gentleman, retained his faculties unimpaired. His brain was clear even in his last illness, and his eyesight and hearing was much above the average in men of his age.

Dr. Middleton was first married in 1851 to Miss Fanny Hutcheson of Tennessee. Five children were born, W.O., George and Charles Middleton, and Mrs. Mollie Timmerman of Dallas and Mrs. Frank McKnight of Arlington. He was married again in 1875 to Miss Maggie Copeland of Rusk, who still survives. One child, Miss Maggie Middleton of this city, was born of this marriage.

Funeral services were conducted from the residence Wednesday afternoon, conducted by Rev. W.T. Thurman, pastor of the Presbyterian church of which Dr. Middleton was a member. Interment was made in Arlington cemetery under the auspices of the Masons, of which order the deceased had been a member for 47 years.

News has been received here that
Joel Mason died in El Paso at 2 o'clock Thursday morning. Mr. Mason is the father of Mrs. Mattie Eaves and Mrs. W.M. Swift of this city, and for 20 years he was a citizen of Arlington. For the past 2 years he, with his wife and remaining daughter, Miss LuLu Mason, has resided in El Paso.

Death was caused by la grippe, complicated with a nervous breakdown. Mr. Mason had been in ill health for some time and Sunday Mrs. W.M. Swift, accompanied by her husband, hastened to his bedside.

The remains will arrive here at 6:30 Friday evening, and the funeral party will at once proceed to the Arlington cemetery, where interment will be made.

Mr. Mason was born in St. Charles, Mo., 73 years ago. He has been a citizen of Texas for the past 35 years settling first at Bryan.

He was known while here as a man of the highest integrity, and his friends join in their sympathy to his wife and daughters.

Walter Hutcheson of Roff, I.T., was here to attend the funeral of Dr. Middleton.

Miss Ethel Gill, who is attending school in Dallas, attended the funeral of Dr. A.K. Middleton Wednesday.

Olin Turnbow, son of Mr. and Mrs. J.C. Turnbow of this place, fell overboard in San Francisco bay 3 weeks ago. The unfortunate young man's body has not been recovered. He was in the service of the United States Navy. He was only 17 years of age.


FRIDAY---APRIL 24, 1908

George W. Coulter died last Friday afternoon after an illness of over 3 years. Mr. Coulter had lived in Texas for the past 30 years and the whole of that time was spent in Tarrant Co. For the past 6 years Mr. Coulter had lived in Arlington. He was known to all the old settlers, as well as the most of the younger generation, and was equally the friend of young and old. Of no citizen of Arlington could it have been more truthfully said, "He had no enemies."

Mr. Coulter was 58 years old at the time of his death. He was born in Coulterville, named for his father, in Tenn., near Chattanooga. His wife died 25 years ago.

Mr. Coulter is survived by his father, who still lives back in Tenn., at the age of 80, one sister, and 2 stalwart sons, Leslie and Charley of this city. Mr. Coulter's affliction was bronchial trouble with which he had suffered for 3 years. Last fall he spent several months in New Mexico, in the hope that the climate would benefit his health. Neither the climate nor the most skillful attention on the part of his physicians could save his life.

For most of his life Mr. Coulter was a farmer. On coming to Arlington, he, with his sons, went into the drug business. In business and private life he was a man of the highest and most strongly fixed moral principles.

Funeral services were conducted from the Presbyterian church Saturday afternoon at 2 o'clock. Rev. W.T. Thurman preached the sermon.

Following the service at the church the Masons assumed charge of the remains and conducted the interment according to the ritual of their order. Mr. Coulter was held in high esteem by his lodge brethren and had been a member of the order for 30 years.

The remains of
Joel Mason, who died early last Thursday morning in El Paso, arrived here only Tuesday night. The train bearing the body arrived at 8 o'clock, and was immediately conveyed to the Arlington cemetery, where, after a short service conducted by Rev. Mr. Watson, interment was made.

The train was met by a large number of Mr. Mason's friends, who formed a procession to the cemetery. The body was accompanied by Mr. and Mrs. W.M. Swift, who were present when death occurred. The floods delayed the arrival of the remains for several days.

A Negro named
Williams was drowned last Friday afternoon at a point 5 miles north of Arlington, on the farm of W.C. Weeks. In attempting to cross Hurrien branch on a mule, the Negro was swept off his mount. The branch was out of its banks, and was several hundred yards wide.

Two negros accompanying Williams were also swept off the mules by the force of the current, but managed to save themselves by catching hold of the top of a tall sycamore tree. They held on to the top of this tree until they were rescued some 7 hours later. The body of Williams was recovered Wednesday afternoon.

Henry W. Tatum, a young farmer living 3 miles east of Arlington died at his home Saturday afternoon, of pneumonia. Interment was made in the Arlington cemetery Monday afternoon. The deceased is survived by a wife and 4 little daughters. At the time of his death, Mr. Tatum was 35 years of age.

Nearly everybody in this section knew Henry Tatum, as he had lived in this community for the past 15 or 20 years. He was known as a hard working, and honest man, a good neighbor, and an exemplary husband and father. By pure industry, he managed to accumulate considerable property, though he started with nothing more than a courageous and industrious spirit.

Business men of Arlington, with whom he had been dealing for many years, testify to his splendid integrity.

An infant child of
Mr. Bud Goodman's of Arlington was buried here Sunday afternoon.


FRIDAY---MAY 1, 1908

W.W. Berry, for 12 years a citizen of Arlington, met an untimely death in Ft. Worth late Tuesday afternoon. Mr. Berry was on the second floor of the Willis Furniture Store on upper Main St., when in some manner he stepped from the window, and fell to the pavement 15 feet below. The fall resulted in instant death, the unfortunate man's skull being fractured.

Mr. Berry was not well and went upstairs and lay down on a couch. It is supposed that he got up in his sleep and walked out at the open window.

Mr. Berry was proprietor of the T. and P. Restaurant, and was well known. He has hundreds of friends here who were greatly shocked to hear of his tragic death. He is survived by 3 children, Mrs. George Coble, Mrs. John Floyd, and George Berry. The two daughters live in Arlington, but the son lives in New Mexico.

Of all his acquaintances in this town, none were ever heard to question his integrity, or to speak of him but in the kindest terms. He was generous, kind and unselfish, and his death has caused universal regret.

Mrs. J.W. Burney attended the funeral in Dallas Thursday of Mrs. Cloise Coyle, wife of Dr. W.P. Coyle of Orange, Tx., who died at her home in Orange Wednesday.


FRIDAY---MAY 8, 1908

Mrs. Ed Rector, aged 71 years, died suddenly afternoon of lockjaw, as a result of sticking a nail in her foot 10 days before. Her death came as a sad surprise to her friends, as few knew that her condition was at all serious. Thursday, the first symptom of the dread malady appeared in a sore throat, and the best efforts of the attending physicians were unavailing to stop the progress of the disease. Mrs. Rector stepped on the nail while inspecting the new house into which the family were soon to move. The family suffered no uneasiness, as the accident was thought to be trivial.

Mrs. Rector had lived in Arlington for the past 20 years, and was loved for her admirable qualities by a large circle of friends.

Funeral services were conducted from the Methodist church, of which the deceased was a member, Monday afternoon by Rev. Ed R. Wallace. Interment was made in the Arlington cemetery.

Mrs. Rector is survived by her husband and 3 children, John McWharter, James McWharter and Mrs. Rector of Decauter.

Mrs. S.B. Glazener, aged 80 years, died at her home in Arlington Wednesday night at 9 o'clock, after a lingering illness. Mrs. Glazener had lived in Arlington for the past 5 years. She was a member of the Baptist church, and had many friends here.

Funeral services were conducted at the residence Thursday morning by Rev. A.S. Hall, pastor of the Baptist church. Following the service, the remains were shipped to Tioga for interment. A party of friends accompanied the remains as far as Ft. Worth.

Mrs. Glazener is survived by her husband, and 2 daughters, Mrs. Wilkins and Mrs. Steele, whom were present at the service Thursday morning.


FRIDAY---MAY 22, 1908

G.C. Smith went last week to Louisiana, where the home of his brother was destroyed by a cyclone. Upon arrival, Mr. Smith learned the sad news that his nephew had been killed in the storm.

The friends of Mr. and Mrs. Laten Stanberry will sympathize with them in the loss of their infant daughter.

The killing of
Walker Hargroves in Ft. Worth Wednesday afternoon recalls the desperate duel in Arlington many years ago of which Walker Hargroves was the sole survivor. The father and a brother of Walker was killed, as were also Harve Spears and Bill Smith. Hargroves had participated in many sanguinary encounters, and at last died with his boots on.

Mr. Mercer, who up until 10 years ago lived south of town, died in Mineral Wells Tuesday morning of heart failure. Mr. Mercer was well known here and universally liked. His friends will regret to hear of his sudden death.

Of the trials and troubles of this life there are perhaps very few people who according to their own way of thinking have not had their share. The writer has never preferred to dwell on the unpleasant things of this life, but along with others we have had the bitter mixed with the sweets. Since our last communication death has come to our home and taken from us our little baby boy just 2 months old. The little one, though never well a day, had just reached that stage in life where a realization of parental interest brought forth a smile, the joy of which is known only by fond parents. For it all was done that loving hands and medical skill could do but to no avail and in the afternoon of the first day of this month its little spirit winged its way back to the God who gave it, leaving to us only the sweet remembrance of its innocent life and the assurance of its safety with the God of us all.


FRIDAY---MAY 29, 1908

Mrs. R.C. Johnston Monday morning about 10 o'clock suffered a stroke of paralysis, and died some 4 hours later. Her sudden death was a great shock to her friends here and they were many though her residence in the city had not been of long duration.

Mrs. Johnston was apparently in the best of health up to the time the stroke came. She was the wife of R.C. Johnston, manager of the electric light plant and one of the leading business men of the city. The family had only lived in Arlington some 4 months, having come here from Forreston, in Ellis county. Mrs. Johnston is survived by her husband, 2 sons and several brothers and sisters.

The remains were shipped to Waxahachie for interment. Funeral services were held in that city Tuesday afternoon. Mrs. Johnston's mother, Mrs. M.E. Cheatham, died in Waxahachie 2 weeks ago.

A number of Arlington people accompanied the family to Waxahachie.

After an illness of only a few hours
Mrs. R.C. Johnston died at her home in Arlington Monday afternoon, May 25, 1908, surrounded by her family and a large circle of friends.

It is with the keenest sense of sorrow and loss, and with hearts full of sympathy for her loved ones, that we realize she has passed from our midst.

Though having lived here but a few months, she had gained the admiration and love of a large number of our people and by her genial frank and unpretentious personality, has left a deep and abiding glow in the lives of her immediate neighbors which will remain with us always.

We knew her well from the beginning of our acquaintance--as she was at the beginning so she remained to the end, a truthful warm-hearted neighborly neighbor.

She was a conscientious and devoted wife and mother, and she was a devoted Christian woman--what more could we say?

Funeral services were held in Waxahachie by Rev. Mr. Harris before a large throng of relatives and friends at the home of her brother, from which home her mother had been taken 2 weeks previous.

They were placed side by side to await the call of Resurrection.

May each of us be as ready for a sudden summons as she; and may "He who noteth even the sparrow's fall" teach the sorrowing husband and sons that He can and will maintain them, and uphold them with his mighty arm.

Near Woods Chapel on the morning of May 19th the death angel visited the home of
Mr. and Mrs. Fuller and took away their infant babe, little Edwin. Very little is thought of death until some precious one has been stolen from us. But God knows best, thought all was done to relieve his suffering by a good attentive doctor, parents and friends, yet he had to go. May God bless, quiet and direct these who are left behind to weep for his loss, and put their trust in God and meet Him in that land beyond. May God bless this family and may they lift their eyes to God and say, "Father prepare a place for me for I am coming."



FRIDAY---JUNE 5, 1908

Wading in water up to their necks for 2 miles, 8 men Saturday morning brought across the Trinity in a boat the remains of
Mrs. E.C. Pierson for interment in the Arlington cemetery.

Mrs. Pierson died at Euless Thursday night, at the age of 88 years. She was sick only a few days. On account of the floods, it was necessary to bring the remains across the river bottom in a boat, it having been the aged woman's request that she might be laid to rest by the side of her husband who was buried in Arlington 17 years ago. The boat was carefully piloted across the deepest part of the channel, and then the 8 men entrusted with the task swam or waded by the side of the boat to protect it from over hanging limbs and other obstructions.

For 5 years, Mrs. Pierson had been confined to her bed, as the result of a fall. Her general health was good however, up until within a few days of her death, when she was taken with a fatal illness. She retained her faculties unimpared, and throughout her long period of helplessness, she was uniformly patient and sweet tempered.

None of Mrs. Pierson's immediate relatives live in Texas. She has a number of nieces and nephews, Mrs. P.J. Noah being a niece. A brother, Robert Bowlin, still lives in Tenn., from which state Mrs. Pierson came. She had lived in Arlington for about 20 years.

Funeral services were conducted from the Methodist church, Rev. Ed R. Wallace preaching the sermon.


FRIDAY---JUNE 12, 1908

Sid Smith, a negro who lived at Arlington for many years, was stabbed and killed in a cutting affray at Guthrie Monday night. While here Smith had the reputation of being a good worker.

An aged man who had been living on
Mr. Burdick's place was buried this morning. We failed to learn his name.

Grandma Lecroy was laid to rest in the Parker cemetery last Friday.


FRIDAY---JUNE 26, 1908

What I do thou knowest not now but thou shalt know hereafter.--St. John 13-7

And I heard a voice from heaven saying unto me write. "Blessed are the dead which die in the Lord henceforth, yea, they may rest from their labors, and their works do follow them. There are times in our lives when we would speak, but language fails us, when we would write, but we are at a loss how to begin and what to say. Such has been my feelings since our Dear Mother fell asleep at 6:20 p.m. Saturday, June 13, 1908, at the residence of her son-in-law, T.A. Hayes in Arlington, Texas. She was born March 26, 1828, near Bennettsville, S.C., and was married to J.C. Dunagan in Mississippi in 1846, he having died in Freestone Co., Tx., in 1885. There were nine children to this union, 4 boys and 5 girls, 5 of whom have died, 2 boys and 3 girls, leaving 2 boys and 2 girls.

But death the last enemy that sought to destroy our Lord, and the passport of every human being from this to another world, and with which we have so much to do, and know so little about, whose mission is always to bring sorrow and sadness, where there is peace and happiness; unasked and unwelcomed has invaded our happy home and taken her away.

For 3 years past she has been disabled by rheumatism, and for more than a year confined to her bed, suffering at times intensely to the last. But we are taught that it pleased God, to perfect the captain of our salvation through suffering and if we suffer with him we shall also reign with Him. For precious in the sight of the Lord is the death of His saints, and how comforting the promise, Lo, I am with you even unto the end for calmly and peacefully the end came. It was truly a triumphant one, though two feeble to talk, yet the tranquil smile evidenced peace and joy. The body that had been so full of pain and suffering was relieved when humanity caught the angelic smile as the spirit bade its tenement of clay farewell to bask in the sunlight of God's presence until the resurrection morn.

For more than 3 score years, like Enoch, she had walked with God, she had learned in whatsoever condition to be content, rejoicing evermore, saying, Thy will be done. So conscious was she of the end being near, that for several months she had been waiting and praying for her departure often breaking forth in singing and praises to God, and frequently asking why can't I go on home and be at rest?

We weep not as those who have no hope, although her life here is ended, she is no more among us. Thanks be unto Him who hath begotten us unto a lively hope, for we know Dear Mother where to find you, for in your dying moments you betokened that peace and resignation that comes only to the Soul that is leaning upon the everlasting arms of Jesus. Truly she has left us a goodly heritage. She was eighty years building a moral edifice, that embodied as near all of the Christian graces as any person I ever saw; gentle and kind in mourns, affectionate and tender hearted, hopeful and joyous in spirit, strong and couragous in faith, unswerving in duty to God and the church, was the characteristics that made up and adorned her beautiful life.

For several years prior to her affliction she had taught a class in Sunday school in the Baptist church of which she was a member at Cade, Tx.; and truly can we say her works will follow her. The empty bed, the vacant invalid chair, with the question so often asked me on my return home, "If we were having a good trade today," reminds me she is gone, but it has truly been a benediction to myself and family to have her with us. It has been demonstrated through her that the Grace of God can enable us to endure all things, and make the sunset of life all that God has purposed for fallen humanity. Yes faith had built a bridge over deaths dark gulf, that hid all of its sorrows, while underneath her was the everlasting arms of Him who hath said, "I'll never leave you comfortless." Rich in faith and good words, she has answered to the roll call, and laid aside her cross for a crown. Farewell Dear Mother, we will all meet you in the sweet-bye-and-bye.




This page was last modified 29 Nov 1998.