Tarrant County TXGenWeb - Arlington Obituaries - 1908 (part 1 of 3)



At 5 o'clock Saturday afternoon,
Frank Lowe, for many years a citizen of Arlington, while sitting in his buggy in front of Luttrell Brothers grocery, was stricken with paralysis and died from its effects Saturday night.

Mr. Lowe never recovered the power of motion or even speech before death. Nearly two years ago he suffered a similar attack, but recovered without sustaining serious impairment of his health. Funeral services were held at the cemetery Sunday afternoon, conducted by Rev. A.S. Hall, pastor of the Baptist church. The deceased is survived by a wife and two daughters.

Mr. Lowe was about 45 years of age, and has spent practically all his life in this section. He was well liked by all who knew him and bore an untarnished reputation.

JOHN R. FRANCES, an aged man, fell from a Dallas street car Monday and died from his injuries Tuesday.

-Dr. J.R. Briggs died at his home at the Briggs Sanitarium, corner of Jefferson and Tyler streets, Oak Cliff, at 4 o'clock Saturday morning. He had for several months been a sufferer from Bright's disease, and had on Friday returned from a visit to Minerals Wells, where he had gone in the hope of finding relief. It was known that the disease had involved his heart, and death was expected.

Ft. Worth, Tx., Dec. 28--Miss Maryland Hodgkinson, 29 years of age, an English woman by birth, employed as a child's nurse at the home of Winfield Scott in this city, died at 11 o'clock yesterday morning from the effects of carbolic acid poisoning.

James Jacob Stagner, 40 years of age, a German by birth, employed by Mr. Scott as a coachman, blew the top of his head off with a heavy charge of buckshot just before the woman expired.

There was apparently no connection between the two servants who are now dead, except that they were in the employ of the same family and were well acquainted. The woman had been in poor health prior to her arrival here a few months ago, and the only cause assigned for the coachman's act was that he was unnerved by the sight of the agonies of the dying woman after she swallowed the acid and was temporarily mentally unbalanced by the shock.

Mrs. Palestine Putman, aged 46 years, died Wednesday evening at 6 o'clock at the home of her son, Rufus Putman. Funeral services, conducted by her pastor, Rev. H.E. Luck, were held at the Christian Church Thursday morning, followed by interment in the Arlington cem.

Mrs. Putman was born in Tennessee, coming to Arlington in 1892. For many years she has been a member of the Christian Church and was active in its work. She is survived by two sons and one daughter. Rufus Putman, with whom she made her home, two weeks ago suffered the loss of his young wife.

Mrs. S.A. Wilkerson, aged 76 years, died Friday night at the home of her sons, Conn and Gill Wilkerson. Funeral services were conducted from the residence Saturday afternoon. Interment was made in the Noah Cemetery. Mrs. Wilkerson was well known in Arlington, having resided here for many years. She is survived by 5 children, Conn, Gill, Edward and Borie Wilkerson and Mrs. W.L. Foster, all of this city.



W. Pressly Miller, known to hundreds of friends in Tarrant County as "Uncle Press," died at his home 5 miles south of Arlington Sunday morning as a result of acute congestion. Though 76 years of age, Mr. Miller was strong and hearty until Saturday morning, when the attack came. He was building a fire when the illness came over him, and though the best medical skill labored earnestly for his life, he died 24 hours later.

Funeral services were conducted at Rehoboth Monday afternoon, by Rev. G.T. Carter, pastor of the Rehoboth Baptist Church.

Mr. Miller came to Tarrant County from Kentucky shortly after the civil war, and settled near where he lived for the remainder of his life. In stock raising, he might be properly called the pioneer of present methods in this section. He brought the first Durham cattle to Tarrant County, and also the first Poland China hogs. He was known as one of the most progressive farmers of the state, and by skilled management amassed a considerable fortune. It is said of him that he never refused to help a friend in distress, and he was for this reason often the victim of his friend's misfortune. He was hospitable after the fashion of the old South, and hardly a man in all this part of the country but has sat at his table.

Mr. Miller is survived by his wife, by two daughters Mrs. R.E. Doyle of his community, and Mrs. Phillips of Ft. Worth, and 3 sons, William of Dallas, Hanibal and Charlie Miller.

Mrs. Henry Newman died at her home south of Arlington Monday evening at the age of 76 years. Funeral services were conducted at Johnson Station Tuesday afternoon by Rev. Ed R. Wallace, followed by interment in the cemetery at that place.

Mrs. Newman had lived for many years in this part of the country and her funeral was attended by hundreds of friends who had known and loved her. She is survived by her husband, Henry Newman, and by two sons, Riley and Green Newman.

By both the Eastern Star and the Women's Home Mission Society on the death of
Mrs. Ida Mae Tarpley.




Tuesday morning at 2 o'clock, the home of
Rev. and Mrs. Ed R. Wallace was saddened by the death of their 7 month old baby daughter, Carrie Mae. Funeral services conducted Tuesday afternoon at the Methodist church by Rev. O.F. Sensabaugh, were attended by many friends of the family. Interment was made in the Arlington cemetery.

Judge C.C. Cummings of Ft. Worth, in a letter to Hon. Fitzhugh, pays a tribute to his old friend, W.P. Miller, who died 2 weeks ago. The letter is as follows:

Ft. Worth, Tx., Jan. 6, 1908
W.B. Fitzhugh,
Arlington, Tx.

Dear Sir and Friend: I was greatly surprised and pained to learn of the death on yesterday at his home near the "Station" of my old time friend,
Press Miller. I draw from his life last year when preparing notes on "First Folks and First Facts" of Tarrant county, and which will publish in time a brief of his life, a part of which I send you for publication in your local journal as a tribute from one who loved him as a brother and who mourns him as one of his own kirth and kin, for he was ever to me the same genial, whole souled, honest, earnest, unswerving friend whom I have known since my coming here 35 years ago this month.

"From him I learned that he was a native of Montgomery co., Kentucky, and was then (1907) in the 74 years of his age"--says the sketch, "hale, hearty, vigorous and active and bids fair to be with us many years because he believes in ever looking on but the bright side--for the silver lining that is in every cloud, a real homemade philosopher with a religion which the books set down as optimism. The sketch recites that he entered Texas as far back as 1855 and came to Tarrant co. in 1866 settling near where he now lives. It mentions his possessions of 800 acres of splendid land he owned there and of the excellent success he had made in rearing of blooded stock, that thirty odd years ago the writer first knew him as one of the originators of this specialty which he has brought into such prominence of late years along with many of his neighbors who made a study of this science, for such it is as with any other calling which has for its aim progress along lines of ascending success.

A sudden change of the weather so you inform me, brought on a chill, or congestion, from which he never rallied. I find the winter months here, while not severely cold yet are so variable from heat to sudden chills that many of our friends on the shady side of life are liable to go when we least expect it, as will be seen from my forecast of last summer of him in health. Press Miller was one of nature's noblemen. Plain, straight-forward, unpretending, doing all the good he could and as little harm as possible to his fellowmen. He has gone to his reward.

It is as natural to die as to be born. We come in with a cry and go out with a sigh and we must make the best of this life we can while we are here and I feel satisfied that our friend has done this to the uttermost while he was with us.

"His life was gentle and the elements so mixed in him, that nature might stand up and say to all the world, "this was a man."                     C.C. Cummings

Mrs. Minnie Clark was called to Grapevine Monday to attend the funeral of her cousin, M. Morrow.




Waxahachie, Tx., Jan. 20--Rev. Angus Johnson, reputed to be the oldest minister in the United States, died yesterday at his home at Avalon, Ellis county, where he had resided since 1889. Had he survived until August 26 this year, Rev. Johnson would have reached the century mark in life's journey. He was a man of wonderful vitality and was actively engaged in the ministry until just a few months ago. His death was due primarily to old age. The body was brought to Waxahachie this afternoon for interment and the funeral took place at two o'clock. Services were held in the First Presbyterian Church.

Rev. Angus Johnson was born in August 26, 1809. At the age of 15 years he went to Cheraw, S.C., and was bound for a period of eight years and 4 months to learn the tailor's trade under Archibald McIntyre. During the time he was at Cheraw he professed religion and joined the Presbyterian church at the age of 19 years. Soon he was received under the care of Harmony Presbytery, South Carolina, as a beneficiary for the ministry. He went to school at Cheraw and Camden and also at military school at Rice Creek Springs at the age of 23. A year later he went to Columbia Theological Seminary and graduated in 1836. In the same year he entered actively into ministerial work, serving four appointment, Keith, Hopewell, Mount Williams and Rockfish churches in Dublin county, North Carolina.

He organized his first church of seventeen members in the year 1844, where the city of Water Valley, Miss. which contains about 6,000 people, now stands. He had no house in which to worship before he organized the church and first began preaching under an oak tree in Hugh McMorrison's yard. He had been preaching for a period of fifty years before he came to Ellis county in 1886, where he remained with Albert Thomas near Waxahachie for nearly three years, moving to his late home at Avalon, where he resided until called form the walks of men.

He soon became identified with Texas people and seeing the great need of evangeliation he began at once organizing Presbyterian churches in this county. He founded Wood Chapel at Italy, Johnson and Slay. The Italy church was organized in 1890. He had not served the Italy church for several years, but was still serving the other three, together with Mission Point at Rankin, Rev. Johnson had been pastor of about twenty-five churches; covering a period of over seventy years.

The length of time devoted to pastoral duty ranges from one month to twenty years and the territory embraced are the states of North Carolina, Mississippi, Florida, Tennessee and Texas. He had been the means of pursuading ten young men into the ministry, eight of whom were in Mississippi and two in Texas. Rev. Mr. Johnson kept no accurate account of the number of baptisms, professions, marriages, funerals, and protracted meetings in which he officiated.

At the age of 20 years he was happily married to Miss Mary Ann Means, by whom were born 8 children, 3 sons and 5 daughters. Two of the boys died in early life and the other became a minister. Only two children survive now. His first wife and oldest child were buried in Mississippi, one in Florida and one in North Carolina. Rev. Mr. Johnson has 10 grand-children and 5 great-grandchildren living. In 1886, 57 years after his first marriage, he was again betrothed.

Rev. Angus Johnson was a third cousin of President Andrew Johnson. Owing to the pressing needs of the spread of the Gospel and his supreme devotion to the ministry, Rev Johnson devoted very little of his time to politics and consequently he did not keep in close touch with the ex-President, but Andrew Johnson's speech in accepting the nomination for the Vice Presidency was recalled by him.

Rev. Johnson in a letter to Abe Lincoln advised him not to accept the nomination. Andrew Johnson performed one act while he was President that Angus Johnson recalled readily, and that was the pardoning of Jefferson Davis, President of the Southern Confederacy. Angus Johnson was personally acquainted with most of the prominent men of the early days, such as Martin Van Buren, U.S. Grant, Abe Lincoln, James K. Polk and William Henry Harrison.

In April, 1906, Rev. Johnson left here for Greenville, N.C. to attend the general assembly of the Presbyterian church, of which he was the oldest living member. His nephew, the late Josephus Johnson of Austin, was also in attendance.

Rev. Johnson, upon invitation, preached in the Cheraw church, April 22, the identical building and place where he was licensed to preach April 10, 1836, seventy years having intervened between the time when he was first licensed and his second coming. As would naturally be supposed, he was a stranger, recognizing only one person, an elderly woman of 73 years who was the only surviving member of Rev. Johnson's church. The town and country had changed so much that he failed to recognize his native land. While he was the first pastor of that church, he was also the oldest, and while attending the assembly recognized just one preacher who was at that time and is today a member of the general body, John C. Colt. The general assembly of the Northern church was in session at the same time at Asheville, N.C., and sent greetings to the Southern assembly, at the same time urging Rev. Johnson and wife to be their honored guests, but having accepted the invitation to deliver his 70th anniversary sermon at Cheraw, he was forced to decline the honor of becoming the guest of the Northern assembly.

We desire to express our sincere thanks to the people of Arlington for their kindness and many favors during the sickness and death of our little
Carrie Mae. The sustaining help came from our faith, and a higher source, but the real help afforded by friends is beyond explaining. When the cloud of bereavement was at the most intense pressure you shed the sympathizing tear, spoke kind words and took us into your homes and hearts. Our hope is in Christ and our victory is great.

Carrie Mae was a sweet child, and very bright. Her life was four days less than seven months, and yet her short life was one of smiles, until she took so severely ill. Her pains were such that she did not smile for days before death, but she was occasionally at herself until only a very few minutes, fifteen or twenty before she took her flight to the World Above.

Her friends said she was a very precious babe, and we knew it all the time. Our victory is great, and we have the peace that passeth all understanding.

God bless you all. We love the people of Arlington more and more all the time. At the best one more year after this, and we will go to other fields, but we leave the body of our darling in your care, and will hold Arlington and you all in tender memory for the ages to come. We are marching on.

Mrs. S.A. Geer, aged 66 years died at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Joe Roy, at Johnson Station early Thursday morning. Pneumonia was the cause of her death. Mrs. Geer had lived in the Johnson Station community for a great many years and had many friends. She is survived by one daughter, Mrs. Joe Roy, with whom she made her home, and two sons, John and William Geer, both of Johnson Station. Funeral services will be conducted at the Arlington cemetery Friday afternoon at 3 o'clock.



J.C. Rorex, of the Watson community, succumbed to pneumonia at his home early Monday morning. Mr. Rorex was about 55 years of age and had lived near Watson Chapel for a number of years. He was esteemed by his neighbors and those who knew him best as a valuable citizen. Funeral services were conducted at Watson Chapel Tuesday morning by Rev. Mr. Morgan, the old pastor of the deceased. Mr. Rorex is survived by his wife, two daughters and 3 sons.



The following was written by
W. U. Witt and appeared in the Prior Creek Clipper, concerning George Owen Harrison, mention of whose death was made in the Journal two weeks ago:

"With sad hearts we chronic the passing of our friend and brother, George Owen Harrison, which occurred from his home in Prior Creek, Okla., Jan. 30, 1908. The son of William and Mary Harrison was born Dec. 10, 1880, in Tarrant county, Texas. He was reared on a farm and was educated in the schools of Arlington and a Business College of Ft. Worth, Texas. In 1901 he, a young man hale, rugged, robust, came to our new country to try his fortune. As a business man he met with great success from the beginning. Having clerked for his brother, L.C. Harrison, and for the firm of W.A. Graham and Co. he easily became head man in his chosen work. He was happily married to Miss Minnie Ball Jan. 19, 1907, and during his short marriage life by every token of affection and self sacrifice, made his home truly ideal and gave many evidences of a Christian heart. His wife and little son; four brothers, one in business in Ft. Worth, Tx; another mayor of Afton, Okla.; another farming near Arlington, Tx. and L.C. Harrison county clerk of Maves Co., Okla. and five sisters survive him, his father and mother having gone on before. In the prime and vigor of manhood he was called from us to the Land of perpetual love and life. Coming to our town eight years ago, he had lived an amiable and worthy life in our midst. To know him was to love him. Polished and refined in his manners by the most careful training of his parents, his standing in our community as a man was perhaps second to none. His heart was always open to his friends and being courteous and kind his large circle of friends were drawn to him as if by a magnet. To him life was joy. Always bright and happy, genial and affectionate, he integrated his life with others giving and receiving good cheer. True friendship is immortal, and as we have opened our hearts to his reception though his mortal body has vanished yet in every reality he remains with us. To his bereaved wife, loved ones and friends, I would say, imitate his good life, look to God and beyond the grave to the great reunion for comfort, and may God bless us and keep us and lead us in the way everlasting.

The little child of
Mr. Terry, who lives near Grand Prairie, was buried in Watson cemetery Monday afternoon.



Joshua S. Ditto, aged 82 years, known to his hundreds of friends in this part of the country as "Uncle Josh," died at his home in Arlington Monday night. Mrs. Ditto was one of the pioneer citizens of this town, having lived here for the past 25 years.

He was a veteran of two wars, the war between the United States and Mexico, and the great Civil conflict, in both wars he served with distinction. Uncle Josh was one of the few survivors of the Mexican war. Mr. Henry Newman being the only other Mexican veteran in Arlington.

The deceased is survived by his wife, one son, Joe Ditto of Arlington, one daughter, Mrs. Feemster of Knox Co., two brothers, Jno. W. Ditto of this place and Thomas Ditto of Montague co., and one sister, Mrs. Johnson of Arlington. Besides he leaves many nephews and other relatives who are among the most substantial people of the town.

Funeral services were conducted at the Methodist church by Rev. Ed R. Wallace, the pastor. Following the service, the remains were interred in the Arlington cemetery. The Nathan Bedford Forrest Camp of Confederate veterans attended the funeral in a body.


FRIDAY---MARCH 20, 1908

Mrs. Mollie Pool has returned from Wisdom where she was called two weeks ago to the death bed of her niece, Mrs. Ira Morris.

C.B. Knight, pastor of the Christian church, early Monday morning received a message calling him to Ennis to conduct the funeral of little Miss Aleane Dietrick. Little Aleane was an intelligent and beautiful child. The funeral was largely attended.

We the children of
Mrs. W.P. Jennings wish to tender our heartfelt thanks to those who mingled their tears and sympathy with ours and for the beautiful flowers sent in this our deepest bereavement. May our Heavenly Father deal gently with you all.

An infant of
Mr. and Mrs. T. S. Petty, living on the north side, died at an early hour Tuesday morning. Funeral services were conducted from the residence in the afternoon, followed by interment in Arlington cemetery.


FRIDAY---MARCH 27, 1908

Billie George Swift, the 4 year old son of Mr. and Mrs. W.M. Swift, died early Tuesday morning, after a trying illness.

Funeral services were conducted Tuesday afternoon by Rev. Ed R. Wallace, followed by interment in the Arlington cemetery.

At the home of her husband's parents,
Mrs. W.E. Morris (better known here as Miss Ira Newberry) died March 13 from tuberculosis.

Mrs. Morris was born September 1886 at Arlington, where she lived until the death of her mother, Mrs. Belle Morgan, about eight years ago. She then moved with her grandmother, Mrs. Alzena Collins, to Ladonia, Tx., where she resided until October of 1905, when she became the wife of Mr. Elton Morris, a highly esteemed young man of Windom, Tx.

After finding that her health was failing so fast, she went to Uvalde with the hope of being benefited, but to no avail. She returned to her home in Windom one month ago, where her stay was very brief, suffering patiently without a murmur. She joined the Christian church at the age of 18 and has since lived a life which won the friendship of everyone who met her, her greatest ambition being to cheer and comfort her friends when in trouble.

Her bereaved husband has the sincerest sympathy of all her friends and relatives here.
A loved one.




This page was last modified 29 Nov 1998.