Tarrant County TXGenWeb - Arlington Obituaries - 1904 (part 3 of 4)


THURSDAY---JULY 14, 1904

The baby child of Mr. and Mrs. Jno. Carlisle died Sunday night about 12 o'clock after several weeks suffering. Services were held at the home at 2 o'clock by Rev. J.W. Lee pastor of the Methodist church after which the little form was carried to West Fork cemetery for interment. The Journal extends to the bereaved parents, grandparents, and other friends and relatives its sincerest sympathy in this dark hour of bereavement.

Mrs. E.W. Kreger died at the home of her father J.C. Coleman down below Rehoboth on the 11 inst. The remains were interred the following day at the Rehoboth cemetery. Mrs. Kreger leaves a husband and 2 small children, one only 6 weeks old. She had not been well since the birth of her last child, and 2 weeks ago she was carried from here down to her fathers that she might be better cared for and everything possible done for her but to no avail. The Journal extends its sympathies to the bereaved.

A young infant of Mr. and Mrs. Logan Britton died Tuesday night and was interred at Watson cemetery Wednesday evening.


Early last Tuesday morning Uncle (Fate) I.L. Hutcheson, one of the oldest, most venerable and most loved men in the county passed out into the great unknown.

For nearly half a century he has been prominent in business, church and Masonic affairs in this part of the state.

He came to Alvarado from Tenn. soon after the war, and for several years was engaged in business at that place. From there he came to Johnson Station in 1869, bought the general merchandise business of Col. Thos. Spruance, which business he conducted for many years.

It was while living here with a large and cultured family about him that the best and happiest part of his life was spent. The Hutcheson home at this place was known far and near as the seat and center of refinement and hospitality.

Later, viz., 1892 he came to Arlington to live and for several years was engaged in business here. He was a member of the Cumberland Presbyterian church, and was not only a member of but a worker in the church. He was one of the seven charter members of the Mason Lodge, organized here in 1874; the other six being, Thos. Spruance, Geo. Joplin, T.B. Matlock, John Roy, Rev. A.S. Hayter and A.K. Middleton. Of this number only 3, Spruance, Roy and Middleton survive.

Eight children, 3 boys and 5 girls were born to Mr. and Mrs. Hutcheson. Of these only 3, W.T. Hutcheson, Mrs. Jno. Watson, both at this place, and Mrs. H.M. Furman now of Ardmor, I.T. survive. The aged widow also survives.

Mr. Hutcheson has been very feeble a long time, and his death, while much deplored was not unexpected. His was a life of lofty example, his was a life of benediction to the world, his was a life that the young might well imitate, his was a life free from the political or commercial taint that attaches to so many lives in these strenuous times. His was a life to be held in grateful memory by surviving friends and relatives.

Funeral services conducted by Rev. W.B. Fitzhugh, were held at the C.P. church at 9 o'clock Wednesday morning after which interment under the auspices of the Masonic fraternity, was made at Arlington cemetery.


THURSDAY---JULY 21, 1904


Sidney Mathers aged 54 years old died at the back of the Interurban depot Monday morning about 9 o'clock. He made his home with his brother, B.A. Mathers, and was walking down to the depot to take a car to Ft. Worth, and when he reached the rear of the depot he was seized with an epileptic fit and expired in a few moments. Mr. Mathers has suffered from this terrible affliction all his life, and because of his unfortunate condition he seldom left his brothers house.

Indeed many of Mr. Mathers (B.A.) friends did not know he had a brother. He was carried to the house of his brother, and from there taken Tuesday morning to Arlington cemetery for interment.

The death is a peculiarly sad one and the surviving friends have the sympathy of many friends here and elsewhere.

News has been received here of the death of Herbert Linney at Danville, Ky., on the 14th inst. Mr. Linney was a brother to Prof. H.H. Linney who was one of the teachers in Carlisle Academy at this place last year; and he himself spent a few months here last spring. He was a young man of great promise and his early death is much deplored by his friends here and elsewhere.


THURSDAY---JULY 28, 1904


On Wednesday morning at 6 o'clock Uncle Milo Coulter passed away at the home of his sister, Mrs. I.L. Hutcheson. Mr. Coulter was 76 years old, and for years has been a familiar figure on our streets. He never married. He came here many years ago with the other Coulters and Hutchesons from Tenn., and has always been admired and respected for his genial, pleasant disposition. He was a friend to everybody, the soul of honor and courtesy. He was liked by all and hadn't an enemy on earth.

Interment took place at Arlington cemetery at 5 o'clock Wednesday evening.

On Wednesday of last week near Euless, Denton Whiterner a young man 16 years old died of typhoid.



A.D. Boulin an old and respected citizen of the Kellar community died last Monday morning at 7 o'clock. Mr. Boulin has many friends around Arlington who will be pained to hear of his death.


Early Tuesday morning Mrs. F.W. Craddock, wife of F.W. Craddock operator at the T. and P. depot in this city, died after several days suffering. Mrs. Craddock was a young married lady with what promised to be a long useful happy life before her. She was a lady of most amiable and lovable disposition, and her death is an irreparable loss to her husband and little baby, less than a year old.

The remains were taken to Eagle Ford Tuesday evening for interment.

The blotting out of such a bright happy life so early in the morning of existence is sad to contemplate. The bereaved husband and little baby have the sympathy of a large circle of friends, in fact the whole town can but join in sympathy with them over their great loss.



J.A. Hamaker handed us a Huntsville, Ala. paper Tuesday in which there was the notice of the death of Wm. R. Rison, one of the most prominent citizens of Huntsville. There are several people in this community who know Mr. Rison and who will hear of his death with sincere regrets.

Geo. Perkins was called to Weatherford last week to attend the funeral of a little boy of his sister, Mrs. W.M. Long formerly of this city. The boy got a fall from a horse from the effects of which he died. George returned and got his wife and children and left again this week to take his midsummer vacation at Weatherford, Mineral Wells and other points west.



Miss Mary Henderson of Wautauga who was visiting with the Misses Thornton, received a message Monday afternoon that her father was dying, and hurried home to find him already dead. Her friends at this place deeply sympathize with her.


From Tuesday Record.

Fairfield Tx., Aug. 15--(special)--W.J. Glazner, county clerk of Freestone Co., died at the home of his son, Lee Glazner, and was buried at Post Oak cemetery, 4 miles Southeast of Fairfield, yesterday. He was a Mason and was buried by Fairfield Mason Lodge and the funeral procession was the largest that ever attended a burial at Post Oak.

The County Commissioner's court today convened in special session and appointed E.R. Glazner, the eldest son of W.L. Glazner, to fill the unexpired term. E.R. Glazner gave bond and was properly qualified at once."

Mr. Glazner was a cousin of S.B. Glazner of this place and was a visitor here last summer.


The infant daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Will Noble died Saturday and was buried Sunday at the Harrison cemetery.




W.J. Bell a highly respected man of middle age, died Tuesday morning at 10 o'clock after an illness of 2 or 3 day.

Mr. Bell was well known and highly respected. He was a man that had been very successful in business at other places, having acquired considerable property. Since coming to Arlington he has never engaged in any business. For sometime he has been talking of going into business here, but being a very careful man he kept waiting and watching for some favorable opportunity.

He way a very useful member of the church and of the lodges to which he belonged, especially the W.O.W. lodge of which he was secretary. He was one of the most faithful and devoted members of the Baptist church, always present and ready to do his part, especially in music, of which he used to be a teacher. Few men got more good out of their religion than did brother Bell.

Funeral services were held at the family residence by his pastor, Rev. M.C. Jackson, at 10 o'clock Wednesday morning, after which the remains, followed by a long train of sorrowing friends and relatives, were interred in the Arlington cemetery.

He leaves a wife, 2 sons and a daughter.

At the same time that Mr. Bell was being laid to rest here Wednesday; Slim Harkreader, another member of the Woodman lodge at this place was being buried at Greenwood cemetery at Dallas. A.J. Church, Burl Patton, and W.J. Eaton of this lodge acted as pall bearers. Mr. Harkreader was injured in a wreck in West Dallas and died Tuesday.




Irma, the infant of Mr. and Mrs. W.P. Brewer was buried at the Ford cemetery Monday, funeral services were conducted by Rev. D.C. Sibley.

A small child of Mr. and Mrs. W.P. Brewer died Sunday evening and was buried at Watson cemetery Tuesday morning. Services were conducted by Rev. D.C. Sibley. The bereaved family has the sympathy of many friends in their great loss.




Mrs. M.H. (Elizabeth) Craven, wife of Dr. M.H. Craven of this city died at Linton, Indiana last Sunday at one o'clock p.m. after a few days illness. The remains arrived here Tuesday at 4 o'clock p.m. Funeral exercises were held at the family residence, conducted by her pastor Rev. W. B. Fitzhugh, after which interment took place in Arlington cemetery. Most of the business houses were closed during the funeral and burial services.

No death has ever occurred in this city that touched hearts more generally or deeply. Deceased was a woman greatly loved by all who knew her, a fact attested by the long procession that followed her to her last resting place, and heaped the new made grave with their sweet southern flowers. In church and charitable work, in the home and social circles, she hadn't a peer.

The sadness of death was rendered greater by her being away from home at the time.

About 3 weeks ago she, her husband and 2 children, Miss Mary and Tom, both now just about grown, left for St. Louis to attend the fair. After seeing the fair the children returned home, while the Dr. and Mrs. Cravens went up into Indiana to visit the Doctor's relatives. Here she was taken sick and died.

Her mother Mrs. M.I. Burney and only brother, Joe Burney, left Friday night in response to a telegram announcing her illness, arriving only a few hours before her death. Mrs. Cravens was about 35 years old. She leaves a mother, brother, husband, and 2 children. The Journal joins in the general regret over the death of this excellent lady.

John Cravens of Linton Indiana, a brother of Dr. M.H. Cravens, of this place, returned with the funeral cortege bearing the remains of Mrs. Cravens, and will remain several days. Rev. Will Cravens another brother, of Chandler O.T. was also here for the funeral, and will remain over sometime, and will fill the pulpit at the C.P. church next Sunday.



This page was last modified 29 Nov 1998.