Tarrant County TXGenWeb - Arlington Obituaries - 1901 (part 1 of 2)




Mrs. Bettie Morgan died last Tuesday night at her home in this city after a lingering illness. Obituary will appear next week.

The mother of Mr. A.J. Rogers died Tuesday, Jan. 9, at her home near Euless.




Elizabeth Atkisson Williams was born in 1824, married to Hardin N. Williams Dec. 7, 1857, and died in Arlington at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Emma Mahan, Jan. 20, 1901.

This dear woman joined the Baptist church early in life and I am informed that she has lived a consistent life. She leaves 5 children and a host of friends, to whom we offer the consolations of the gospel of Christ. W.H. Wynn, her Pastor.

Card of Thanks lists survivors, J.M. Williams, Mrs. Emma Mahan, J.A. Williams, Mrs. Mattie Brown, Mrs. S.L. Cannin.


Grandma Light who lived on the street north of A.J. Rogers died last Tuesday.


During our absence from the office last week an obituary was left on our desk of Jno. Wesley Sibley which should have been Jno. Wesley Hammock. The article was signed "J.A.T." We supposed of course, it was correct and published as handed in. We very much regret the mistake and gladly make the correction.




Mrs. Richard Vandiner, who came here from Tenn., sick with small-pox, died at her home Sunday night, and was buried Monday night at 9 o'clock.

Mr. Vandiner is getting along very well. No new cases.




The 12-year-old son of Mr. Hulsey died here last Sun morning. The remains were interred in Arlington cemetery.


Whereas, our esteemed father James P. Rose has been removed from our midst by the hand of death--lists a widow and orphan.




At the last meeting of the city council notice was given that Ex-Mayor Mose Bledsoe was dead. Mayor Weeks immediately appointed a committee to draw up suitable resolutions of respect and also appointed a number of aldermen as pall bearers.




W.A. Lanier, sister of Mrs. W.C. Weeks, died at Sulphur Springs on April 6. Mrs. Weeks went from here, and reached her bedside in time to be with her during her last hours.

Journal extends sympathy to the grief stricken sister and relatives.




Dallas, Apr 16--A fatal accident occurred on a sidetrack of the Houston and Texas Central railroad a short distance south of the Commerce St. crossing, resulting in the death of Alexander H. Johnson, aged 63.

It was stated by several parties who saw the accident that the man was walking on the main track and started to cross the switch, when he was struck by a moving freight car. He was taken to the city hospital and died.


The Distinguished Texan Breathes His Last at St Louis

Ft Worth, Apr 12--Surrounded by members of his family, Col. John Peter Smith passed away in St. Louis Thursday morning. The announcement came as a surprise to friends who had been advised during the day Wed. that his condition was much improved. The information received here was that a son of the deceased had reached him just in time to be recognized and that the dead man closed his eyes to sleep the sleep that knows no waking. To state that the news carried with it genuine regret but faintly expresses the feeling of friends in Ft. Worth, his home, the place he had first observed as a mere military post and for which he had labored and lived to see his brightest anticipations realized--a modern, progressive, up-to-date city.

Col. John Peter Smith was born in Owen Co., Ky., Sept. 16, 1831. He was a son of Samuel Smith and Polly Bond. His father died in 1844 and Col. Smith's cousin, W.H. Garnett, was selected as his guardian. Col. Smith was raised on a farm and received a common school education in a country school. He attended Bethany college of West Va., of which Alexander Campbell was for years president. He entered this institution in 1850, graduating therefrom in 1853 and came immediately west stopping in Tx. and locating in Ft. Worth, in which city he has continuously resided. He taught school in the old hospital building here and spent his nights in reading law and qualifying himself as a surveyor. He read law with A.Y. Fowler and was admitted to the bar. He was opposed to secession and voted against it, but when it was inaugurated he was quick to take up arms and fought to its end. He distinguished himself and made a gallant and brave soldier. He enlisted in Co. K, 7th Tx. cavalry, William Steele's regiment. He went from a private in the company to colonel of the regiment, having received the last promotion in 1864.

At the conclusion of the war he returned to Ft. Worth and on Oct. 16, 1867, was married to Mrs. Mary Fox, widow of Dr. F.A. Fox of Miss., whose maiden name was Miss Mary L. Young. Five children were born, 4 boys and 1 girl.

For ten years Col. Smith was a member of the private banking firm of Tidball, Van Zandt & Co. He accumulated a great deal of property, and at one time was the largest taxpayer in Tarrant Co. He was always considered excellent authority on land titles and land matters generally having made a special study for years of such questions. No man in Ft Worth has done more, indeed if as much, toward building up and developing Tarrant Co., and especially Ft Worth. He contributed most liberally in securing the many railroads Ft Worth now has and his mission to St. Louis was in the interest of securing the Fisco road for this city. He served Ft Worth as its chief executive 3 times and during his administration as mayor some of the city's most substantial improvements were made. He always took a great interest in public affairs and was one of the most prominent and enthusiastic advocates of President Cleveland's policy in Tx. He was absolutely fearless in expressing his political beliefs and never hesitated to express his opinion upon any public question. He was nominated by the Gold Standard Democrats for Congress in this district, and while he was defeated, he nevertheless received a very complimentary vote. He was a man of generous impulses and has helped not a few men to secure homes in Ft Worth.




The Texas Journalist Passes to the Great Beyond In the Land of His Nativity

A Gallant Soldier of the Lost Cause, He Became a Leader in Lone Star Journalism After the Civil War Asheville, N.C., April 20--Col. A.H. Belo of Dallas Tex., died here yesterday morning at 4 o'clock. He arrived here Tuesday, but his health was already so seriously impaired that he did not survive long. He has been an invalid for several years and has a summer home in the Adirondacks, where he spent every summer, and by careful living had prolonged his life. Dr. Battle was with him here, and did everything he could. Col. Belo was 62 years old and his wife and two children, Alfred H., Jr., who was associated with him, and Mrs. Peabody of Cambridge, Mass., survive him. His wife was Miss Ennis of Houston, Tex. He has two brothers living, Dr. A.F. Belo of Evergreen, Ala. and R. W. Belo of Salem, N.C., and two sisters, Mrs. E.E. Shelton and Mrs. J.C. Buxton, both of Salem. It was Col. Belo's request that he be buried in his father's lot near his boyhood home.

Col. Belo was the son of the late Edward Belo of Salem. His mother was Miss Amanda Fries. He was born in Salem and educated there. He raised the first company of Forsythe riflemen in 1861 and was its captain. This company was made a part of the Fifty-fifth North Carolina regiment, of which Col. J. Connally of this city was colonel. Col. Connally was promoted to quarter master, then major, and when the lieutenant colonel of the regiment was killed at Gettysburg he was given that rank. At Gettysburg Col. Connally was wounded and held a prisoner eight months. After his release he was given command of a brigade, and then Col. Belo was made colonel of the Fifty-fifth, which rank he held until the close of the war. Col. Belo was wounded at the Wilderness and Gettysburg. After the war he went to Texas, riding the entire distance from North Carolina on horseback, arriving in June, 1865.

In August of that year he became connected with the Galveston News, of which Mr. W. Richardson was owner and not long after bought an interest in the paper. Col. Belo had no journalistic experience, but developed marked aptitude for the details of newspaper management. In 1875, after the death of Mr. Richardson, Col. Belo bought the interest of the heirs of his deceased partner, surrounded himself with able and enthusiastic lieutenants and up to his death Friday controlled the editorial and business management of the News.

In 1881 Col. Belo formed a stock company authorized by its charter to publish newspapers in various Texas cities. In 1885 the Dallas News was established.

Laid In The Grave At His Native Home in Old State of North Carolina Was The Body of A.H. Belo A Moravian Bishop and an Episcopal Clergyman Conducted the Funeral Services and a Salute Was Fired Winston-Salem, NC, April 22--The remains of Col. A.H. Belo, accompanied by Mrs. Belo, Mr. and Mrs. A.H. Belo, Jr., Mr. and Mrs. Charles Peabody, Mr. and Mrs. J.C. Buxton and Dr. Gerlach, left Ashville, N.C. via special car at 11:30 a.m. Saturday and arrived at Salem at 4:45 p.m. At the station there were waiting a number of veterans of Col. Belo's company, the Forsythe Rifles, and a detail of the junior organization of that name. These last accompanied the party to the house of Mr. J.C. Buxton. Upwards of fifty telegrams were received by the family, expressive of sympathy and universal appreciation of the noble character of Col. Belo, including the following from his oldest associate living:

"Los Angeles, Cal., April 20--Family of late Col. A.H. Belo, Salem, N.C.; unspeakable sympathy and regret for the irreparable loss from the eldest surviving associate of deceased in the work which marked his constructive generous for pure and useful journalism. "D.C. Jenkins"

The beautiful flowers testify to the same purpose.

Sunday morning Mr. Francis Bangs, Dr. John A. Wyeth and Mr. J.D. Lorentz, eastern representative of the News, long-time friends of the family, arrived from New York to attend the funeral. Col. R.G. Lowe, vice president and Mr. T.W. Dealy, secretary and treasurer of the corporation of A.H. Belo & Co., arrived from Galveston in time to pay their respects to the deceased. The funeral services were held at the home of Mr. J.C. Buxton at 3 p.m., attended by the family and relatives and friends of Col. Belo residing in Winston-Salem. They were conducted by Rev. Harris Mallinckrodt of St. Paul's church, Winston, and by Bishop Edward Rondthaler of the Moravian church. The honorary pall-bearers were: Dr. John Wyeth, Mr. H.W. Fries, Mr. Francis S. Bangs, Mr. J.W. Fries, Col. R. G. Lowe, Mr. T.W. Dealy and Mr. J.D. Lorentz. The active pall-bearers were: Maj. T.J. Brown, Mr. Alexander Rights, Dr. J.A. Blum, Mr. F.C. Koehlen, Mr. T.B. Douthitt, Mr. E.A. Welfare, who were comrades of Col. Belo in the Confederate service. The Confederate Veterans' association of Norfolet camp, under command of Maj. T.J. Brown, marched in a body to the cemetery. The Forsythe Rifles fired a salute at the grave. The band of the Moravian church was in attendance. The services at the grave were conducted by Bishop Rondthaler. The interment was in the family lot in Salem cemetery. (picture)


Fort Worth, Tex., April 22 - W.T. Scott, a cattleman, 43 years old, died here this morning. He came to Fort Worth from Colorado City nearly three years ago. His brother, Dr. Scott of Shreveport, was at his bedside.




Dallas, Tex., April 30 -The hand of death entered into the household of one of the most beloved families in Dallas Monday night, and by its mysterious destiny swept away the father and eldest son and left the wife and three other children.

The father, Arthur P. Cary, had laid at the door of death for eleven days, making a hard fight for life. His condition was known to every one in the city, and every effort was made to render any assistance possible.

Just about dark the little boys who had been playing with his 7-year-old son, Joseph Milton, Jr., came terror-stricken and said that the child had fallen into the water in the city park. Neighbors went instantly and found the body of the child in the Horse Shoe reservoir in the park.


The Killing of Joseph W. Oldfield in a Restaurant about 10 o'clock

Our little city, was thrown into a fever of excitement yesterday when it became known that a killing had taken place in the heart of town with the knowledge of but few.

A reporter for the Journal was on the scene soon after the shooting occurred. The sight which met our gaze was calculated to make stout hearts grow faint.

Joseph W. Oldfield was lying on the floor in the rear of Johnson's restaurant breathing his last with a gun shot wound just behind the left ear.

Immediately after the killing J.M. Young surrendered to City Marshall Douglass and was locked up.

We called on Young and asked him if he wished to make any statement for publication but he declined, and so we were unable to secure the facts leading up to the killing. Oldfield was shot while sitting at the lunch counter in Johnson's restaurant. He was shot from the side walk, the load, passing through the screen door and entered his skull all in a lump.

In the afternoon Tom Kilgore was arrested, and as Sheriff Coarke arrived from Fort Worth at 11 a.m. he took them both to Fort Worth on the 2:25 train yesterday evening.

The deceased was about 25 years old, a school teacher and stood high in the community. He leaves a wife and a child. Young after the killing expressed himself as satisfied that he would have no trouble in securing an acquittal, but refused to talk for publication. All parties connected with the tragedy stand well in this community.

The case is being investigated by the grand jury now in session, other witnesses are being examined today.

The funeral took place from the Baptist church today at 1 o'clock and the remains were followed to the grave by a large number of friends.



This page was last modified 29 Nov 1998.