Tarrant County, TXGenWeb
Wilson Family Cemetery
|This is a small reconstructed cemetery located about five miles east
of Mansfield on Lynn Road (County Road 2012). Charles N. and Ophelia (West)
Wilson lived on this property when she died in 1872. This part of the Wilson
land was known as the Polo Ranch. It is now owned by the U. S. Army Corps
of Engineers and is part of the Joe Pool Lake project.
Ophelia Wilson was buried here with her infant daughter, and the graves
were marked with oak saplings. In the 1930s, another Wilson daughter returned
to the site and placed two headstones and a wrought iron fence. The small
graveyard was vandalized in 1980 and the markers and fence removed. The Corps
of Engineers located the stolen Wilson markers, placed a marker for the Bowlin
infant and replaced the wrought iron fence. The site was designated as a
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark in 1986. The marker carries the
Note that there is an error in the inscription.
WILSON, Ophelia & Child
Published 1986 by Mansfield Historical Society, P.O. Box 304, Mansfield,
This page was last modified 15 Jan 2003.
Copyright © Tarrant County, TXGenWeb 2002-2003. All rights reserved