McDade Historical Marker

McDade Historical Marker

Located on Highway 290

The site for McDade, Texas was donated by James Wilkins McDade and Dr. Richard R. Peebles. It was originally a staging area during the railroad's construction. Dr. Peebles and M r, McDade were major stockholders of the Washington County Railroad. James Wilkins McDade was President of the Washigton County Railroad in 1862. He was a representative in the Texas Legislature, 1851. He was also a member of Texas Senate, 1853 - 1855. He was elected the first Sheriff of Washington County after Texas became a State, being elected July 13, 1846. . James was born abt 1819 in Madison County, Alabama. He married Caroline Tennessee F Cooper in Washington County Texas on March 27, 1840. He is buried in the Old McDade Cemetery in Hempstead, Texas. James Wilkins McDade, Dr. Robert Rivers Peebles and Mary Ann Groce Peebles laid out the town of Hempstead, Texas in 1856. It is also of note that Dr. Peebles is also a historic entity -- he was the first convicted traitor exiled by the Confederacy. See http://mcdade.bravepages.com/. For more information, see also "Youngblood-Armstrong and Allied Families" by Frances Youngblood and Floelle Youngblood Bonner.

- Mary Thoeni, April 08, 2003

BACK