Original 100 Acres of Longview
|This map has the first 100 original acres of Longview marked off inside
a square. It gives some prospective on how much the town has grown over
Longview came about by O.H. Methvin deeding 100 acres to the southern Pacific Railroad for $1 on April 7, 1870 and an adjacent 50 acres for $500 on October 28, 1870. The sale of the initial 100 acres is marked as the "birth of Longview". The following year, on January 27, 1871, the Longview Post Office was established. The city of Longview, on May 17, 1871, became the first incorpated town in the future Gregg County.
© 2007 - present by TXGenWeb
(Please read our copyright page for a better understanding of our copyright needs.)
Materials on this site are provided for the free use of persons who are researching their family history. Data may be freely used by non-commercial and/or completely free entities, as long as this message remains on all copied material. Any commercial use, without the prior consent of the host/author of the materials provided on this site, is prohibited. The electronic pages on this site may not be reproduced in any format for profit.
Notice to Webmasters: You may not copy and paste the information on any of the pages of this site onto another web page without first obtaining explicit permission to do so and without including the copyright notice.