Facts About The Danville School
Longview Daily News
Sunday November 2, 1941
The Danville school is located about 9 miles southwest of Longview on the Old Longview and Kilgore Highway. It is one of the oldest common school districts in Gregg County. The school was founded about 1894 near the center of the Danville Community. The first teacher for the school was M.S. L. Wilson from North Carolina, who was a brother-in-law to Mr. J.M. Dickson of Kilgore. Mr. Pegues, father of Mr. J.G. Pegues of Longviews Ford Motor Company, gave to the community of Danville one acre of land near the center of the community for the purpose of building the first school building. Later the school board obtained additional land from Mr. Surry Leach to increase the size of the school campus.
Today the school owns about four acres of land and is surrounded by a beautiful native rock wall. It has on the school campus two beautiful buildings, one native rock and the other brick. In addition to these two nice buildings, the school has one of the most beautiful school campuses in the state of Texas. The football field in front of the buildings is not excelled by any rural school's athletic field in the county.
The Danville School is a a permanently acredited elementry school and is one of the eight rural schools of Gregg County. Children going to Danville school are doing work equivalent to the other boys and girls of the best schools in Texas. There are seven teachers in the school, namely: B.F. Ray, Principal; John W. Dent, Miss Edna Meadows, Mrs. B.F. Ray, Mrs Jewel Stong, Miss Cristine Stephens, and Mrs. Tom Williams.
The school has a very active PTA organization under the leadership
of Mrs. Milton Spinks. The parents of the community take an active
interest in the school making the best possible environment for
This information was found in the vertical files of the Genealogy
Department of the Longview Library.
© 2007 - present by TXGenWeb
(Please read our copyright page for a better understanding of our copyright needs.)
Materials on this site are provided for the free use of persons who are researching their family history. Data may be freely used by non-commercial and/or completely free entities, as long as this message remains on all copied material. Any commercial use, without the prior consent of the host/author of the materials provided on this site, is prohibited. The electronic pages on this site may not be reproduced in any format for profit.
Notice to Webmasters: You may not copy and paste the information on any of the pages of this site onto another web page without first obtaining explicit permission to do so and without including the copyright notice.