This information was found in the Lee Public Library of Gladewater in the form of a book, titled: Gladewater, Texas 1873-1973.
Over a century ago, the old Bethel Church, located off Hwy 271, was the site of the first school. Reverend John Christian was the first preacher and teacher. After serving in the Civil War, he returned and preached and taught there again. Other early teachers were Miss Lou Morgan (Mrs J T Jeter), Mr Harris, and Mr Chrisman.
Some of the students at Bethel School in 1892 were:
Miss Lou Morgan -- teacher
© 2007 - present by TXGenWeb
(Please read our copyright page for a better understanding of our copyright needs.)
Materials on this site are provided for the free use of persons who are researching their family history. Data may be freely used by non-commercial and/or completely free entities, as long as this message remains on all copied material. Any commercial use, without the prior consent of the host/author of the materials provided on this site, is prohibited. The electronic pages on this site may not be reproduced in any format for profit.
Notice to Webmasters: You may not copy and paste the information on any of the pages of this site onto another web page without first obtaining explicit permission to do so and without including the copyright notice.