1860-1973 Doctors in Gladewater
Listed in the 1860 census, Red Rock District, 3 doctors were in Gladewater and all 3 were from South Carolina. There was Dr. H.H. Hallenquist, Dr. H.C. Hallenquist and Dr. S. Nixon.
Dr. B.W. Wood practiced in Gladewater from 1910 until 1915 and lived in the Bray Hotel.
Dr. T.J. Allison was b. July 28, 1850 and practiced medicine around Gladewater for 50 years. Legend has it that he was a very charitable & generous man. He would frequently buy medicine for an indigent family and wrap it in a 5 or 10 dollar bill. He also built the first organ in Gladewater and was an accomplished musician.
From 1906 until 1910, Dr. C.L. Hudson and Dr. M.F. Bettancourt practiced in Gladewater. Their offices were located were the old K. Wolens store (now the Gladewater Antique Mall) was.
In 1931, when the oil boom hit, there were 4 doctors in Gladewater.
Doctors listed in the late 1940's on funeral home records were:
Dr. McLaughlin came to Gladewater around 1913. He had several
hospital beds over Zeke Martin's Drug store and his office was
on the corner of Upshur & Main St. He was the "inventor" of
a chest rub called "Nu-Ma-Cide" and proved that it would penetrate
the skin and be absorbed into the body by testing it on a skeptical
physician and then checking his urine content one hour later.
One of the main ingredients was Iodine. In a 1924 paper he had
an ad which read:
Dr. Walker had a large family practice and built the house that is now known as the Jack Finley home. When he built the house he had visions of converting it into a hospital. His office was in a local drug store, called The Purity, which he owned and operated. Dr. Walker was a brother of Billie Walker.
Dr. Whittle practiced in Union, Miss. before coming to Gladewater. He acquired extensive farm land in the Friendship Community just outside of Gladewater. His office was in the Whittle building on the corner of Main St. and Glade, and his home was on the corner of Main St. and Gregg. He was known as a southern gentleman and had the reputation of being a good pneumonia doctor.
Dr. Pritchett had a large family practice. His office was in his home at the corner of Quitman and Dean street.
In 1973 the doctors in Gladewater were: Dr. Bain Leake, Dr. A.R.
Hancock, Dr. Howard LeBus, Dr. Charles Bloom, Dr. Charles Ben
McKenzie, Dr. G. Robert Hugman, Dr. Geln Kent, Dr. E.R. Moser
and Dr. Walter Hart.
Copyright © 2007 - present by Elaine Martin &
Copyright © 2000 - 2007 by Elaine Martin & Sharon Pierce
(Please read our copyright page for a better understanding of our copyright needs.)
Materials on this site are provided for the free use of persons who are researching their family history. Data may be freely used by non-commercial and/or completely free entities, as long as this message remains on all copied material. Any commercial use, without the prior consent of the host/author of the materials provided on this site, is prohibited. The electronic pages on this site may not be reproduced in any format for profit.
Notice to Webmasters: You may not copy and paste the information on any of the pages of this site onto another web page without first obtaining explicit permission to do so and without including the copyright notice.