131 East Main Street
The native stone, two story, old Algerita Hotel in Post was the
center of settlement and development activity when C. W. Post
colonized in Garza County in 1907-13. The Hotel, known throughout
West Texas, for fine accommodations. City founder, C. W. Post
initiated the construction the elegant Hotel to serve the traveling
businessmen of the era. was completed on July 17, 1908.
The early settlers' families staying at the Hotel, watched as the
men drove cattle down Main Street from the train depot to settle the
rich farmlands of the Plains.
The lower front portion of the Algerita, now the Algerita Art Center
serves as the meeting place, studio, and exhibit space for art
organizations that host major exhibits, juried shows, and workshops,
attracting many visitors to Post, Texas.
The 90 year old building was one of the first structures in Post. It
was saved from destruction in 1978 by the Garza County Heritage
Association, and after two renovation efforts, the lower floor was
returned to usefulness in 1984.
CCA Heritage House:
A two story apartment building, donated to the Caprock Cultural
Association by the family of W. R. and Ruth Little. Ruth Little,
prior to her death was a renowned china painter. Some examples of
her work are shown in the photograph.
The house was originally built in 1913 to house the nurses that
worked and trained at the Old Post Sanitarium, which is now the
Garza County Historical Museum, just next door to the Heritage House
at 109 North Ave, N. in Post. The house had been altered into a
boarding house with a total of eight furnished apartments by the
Little family. For two years after acquiring the house, it was
called "Little House". We later renamed the house to the CCA
Heritage House since we were always having to explain that "No,
actually, it's not really little."
The Garza County Historical Museum:
119 North Ave. N.
The Garza County Historical Museum was originally the Post
Sanitarium. In 1964, it was declared a Texas Historical Landmark, in
1966, the Mason Memorial Building and in 1977 was put on the
National Register of Historic Places.
The Sanitarium opened for business in 1912, a model institution of
its kind, noted as the "first hospital in this part of West Texas"
(within a range of twenty-four counties) and the best equipped
hospital this side of Fort Worth. Equipment included a laboratory,
x-ray room, operating and sterilizing room. The 25 rooms each had
its own private baths, central steam heat, electricity and electric
call bells. There were two wards, male and female with adjoining
baths plus private and professional consulting rooms.
OS Ranch Museum:
127 East Main Street
Our exhibits change approximately three times yearly, so there’s
always something new in the gallery.
The OS Ranch Foundation was created by Giles C. McCrary and family.
The museum was built to house the art and artifact collection they
have gathered around the world. The gallery is located in the room
that was designed as the meeting room for the community, here in the
building C.W. Post built in 1911, to house the offices of his Land
and Cattle Company.
We hope you enjoy your visit to the Museum. Please tell your friends
and neighbors about us. Better yet, bring them with you next time
226 E. Main
The Garza theatre began as a dream of the city's founder, Charles
William Post of "Post Toasties" fame. He dreamed of a
self-sufficient city that would provide everything its townspeople
would need. To him, that meant including a theatre. Mr. Post did not
live to see this happen.
But in early 1986, a native son, Will McCrary returned home and
began theatre productions. After three plays, he seized the
opportunity to realize a dream of his own and opened the theatre.
Will McCrary, a veteran of 41 years of professional theatre
experience, became the driving force behind the theatre project,
accepting the challenge of being director, designer, producer and
actor of the "new" Garza Theatre.
The city-owned building was built in 1916 and served as a movie
theatre. It was permanently shuttered in 1955, but two years later
vandals set a fire which caused extensive damage to the stage area.
the building was boarded front and back for the next 30 years.
The money for refurbishing and redecorating included donations from
private citizens as well as area wide enthusiasts and included
special "Angels"such as Dina Merrill, the actress and granddaughter
of C. W. Post.
Ragtown Gospel Theater:
Pursuing a longtime dream Chip wrote a musical about the founding of
Post City, called "Ragtown," and a one act play entitled "Paul the
Apostle." During this same time, Glenn, who had experienced a strong
sense of a destiny in ministry as a young man, had that destiny
A film entitled "Saint John in Exile, "in which actor Dean Jones
performs a one-man presentation portraying the apostle John, drew
Glenn to commit the rest of his life to ministry, sharing the Gospel
through drama. He would begin that ministry performing his brother's
play, "Paul the Apostle."
Over the next seven years Glenn and his wife Twila would travel
through seven states, to over 260 different churches, Glenn
performing "Paul the Apostle" for congregations of every Christian
denomination. The play was aired on television, reaching over 2
million households in over 150 countries, including Israel. They
would be invited to go to Europe to present the play in three
different countries. A video of the play, translated into the Czech
language, is now being presented to groups in the formerly communist
controlled Czech Republic.
It was during this time that the Lord drew the brothers and their
wives together in a vision to build Ragtown Gospel Theater. It would
be a state of the art live performance hall, where the Gospel of
Jesus Christ would be proclaimed through the arts.
The theater's first production, "Peter the Rock," opened in March
2007, and was performed for over 5000 people, receiving consistently
enthusiastic responses from every audience. The play, gospel music
show preceding each production, exquisite design of the interior,
and the hospitality and warmth every guest experiences is the result
of a marriage of the many blessings of talent and ability the two
couples have been given.