Pioneers of Ellis County
Jereboam Downing Beauchamp
Contributed by Charles L. Beauchamp
Jeroboam D. Beauchamp was born on the 21st day of November 1842, three miles west of Shelbyville,Texas. His parents were Jeroboam R. Beauchamp and Mary Ann Lindsey. J. D.'s father was born in 1804 in Washington County, Ky., and came to Texas in 1831 with two brothers, John and Thomas D. John was a soldier in the Texas War for Independence at the Battle of San Jacinto. Thomas was a delegate to the Convention of 1832 from the Snow River District, now Tyler County. Jerry's father was an early pioneer settler in the Tenaha District now known as Shelby County. He obtained several Republic of Texas land grants in 1838.
The Beauchamp farm was located three miles west of Shelbyville and all
of J. D.'s siblings were born there. Jerry's father was a stockraiser and
is listed on the 1837 tax roll as owning 70 head of cattle and seven town
lots. He served several terms as Justice of the Peace from 1843-1847. Shelby
County was embroiled in the famous feud known as the Regulator-Moderator
War, the first battle being fought on the Beauchamp farm. The Regulators
seized the farm and built a stockage with lumber Beauchamp had purchased
for the construction of a new home.
By 1860 the Beauchamps had moved from Shelby to Ellis County, Mary Ann Lindsey
Beauchamp being the head of the family. J. D. joined the first company organized
in Ellis County by Captain W. J. Stokes, and on Sept. 11, 1861 joined the
Twelfth Texas Cavalry organized by Col. W. H. Parsons. He served with distinction
during the four years of the Civil War and received his discharge May 23,
On May 5, 1868 he married Miss Ada Adelaid A. Tharp, the daughter of Rev. Thomas G. A. Tharp. Their children were: Jerry D. Jr., George Tharp, Annie Adelaid, Joseph Raleigh, Luti Bell, Bonnie, Ron Session, Dixon Lindsey, Alba Laura, Ruthie B., James Verne and Willie Farris Beauchamp. J. D. was involved in the mercantile business in the town of Burnham. He was a founding trustee of the First Methodist church in Burnham. When the H & T. C. Railroad bypassed Burnham, the town of Ennis was founded and J. D. was an Alderman on the first City Council. He and his father-in-law, Rev. Thomas Tharp, were the proprietors of Ennis House Hotel, which at that time was the closest first class accommodation nearest the depot.
J. D. and his brothers were cattlemen in Ellis County and drove cattle on the Chisolm Trail when that was profitable. J. D. lived most of his life around Ennis and always looked forward to meeting confederate Veterans at the many reunions he attended in his later years. J. D. Beauchamp died Nov. 9, 1825 at his home on North Kaufman Street and is buried in the Myrtle Cemetery [in Ennis].
J. D. is descended through Edmond Beauchamp, the immigrant ancestor who came to America in 1665 and who is recognized as one of the twelve founders of theEastern Shore of Maryland. Edmond's father, John Beauchamp, merchant of London, was a financier of the Mayflower Company. This branch of the Beauchamps can be traced back to the Earls of Warwick and William The Conqueror, Hugh De Beauchamp being in the train of The Conqueror at the Battle of Hastings A. D. 1066.
Copyright © 2000-2016, Ellis County TXGenWeb. All Rights Reserved.
This page was last modified: Monday, 10-Sep-2018 10:23:11 MDT