Creechville, established in the 1890s, was never a village as such though it did serve as a community center, It was located about three to four miles east of Ennis near Village Creek, and on the creek of that name which joins with Walker Creek and empties into the Trinity River. It was a center for cotton farmers in the area who built a cooperative gin.
According to the History of Ellis County, the Creechville area was served by the "Village Creek" school. Also mentioned is the "Four Mile" School, located near the banks of the creek. Some of the teachers at Four Mile were Mr. Atwood, 1886; Mr. Christian, 1890, Mr. Ed Anderson, 1891. The latter was at one time a State Representative. If someone has more information about these schools, please contact us.
Creechville - Loneoak
Hines Chapel Methodist Church, located a few miles away, kept a register of members - many being early settlers. Hines Chapel Cemetery is located behind the original church location. which was moved to Crisp in 1892 or 1893.
Creechville's postoffice officially opened Dec. 2, 1899. Sam A. Wilson was first postmaster, followed by Samuel H. Foster, Sept. 25, 1901. The office was discontinued Dec. 14, 1905 and mail sent to Ennis.
Creechville had an estimated population of twenty from the early 1930s through the mid 1990s. In 1980, the site was surrounded by cattle ranches and wheat farms.
From information found, it would appear that Creechville and Village Creek communities were very close together and shared many things in common.
Hawkins, et al. Ellis County History Workshop. History
of Ellis County, Texas. Texian Press, Waco. 1972.
Copyright © 2002-2016, Ellis County TXGenWeb. All Rights Reserved.
This page was last modified: Monday, 10-Sep-2018 10:23:32 MDT