Corinth School Community
In 1870 a one room school house called Corinth was built north of Burnam. Among the families living near that site were: G. W. Allen, Mose Allen, L. G. Allen, Tom Allen, A. J. Pippen, R. C. Collins, D. I. Champion, Sam Boren, S. D. Cummings, Joe McClain and George Poff.
In 1894 the school had fifty-two students. The building was moved to Ensign where it continued to serve as a learning center until consolidation of schools formed Central High School. The little building was sold to Perry Dodd who moved it to his farm to be used as a barn.
In 1963, those who boasted of the educational advantages of Corinth School in the 1880s included Fannie Champion Fowler, Musa Collins Merritt, Blanche Collins Blackmon, Dora Cummings Davis, Fannie, Charles, John, Ada and Nettie McDonald and Ida Pippin Adams. Perhaps the best known pupil was Charlie Pippin - later a judge in Dallas. Teachers who were recalled: Messers Helms, Abernathy, Batson, Thomas, Mrs. Thompson, Misses Ida Pippin and Sadie Richmond.
The Corinth Baptist Church was well organized and held services in the school house, as did all denominations. . Reverend G. C. Shutt, a Methodist, was a spiritual leader who visited frequently in the Collins home.
Collins bought land from Tom Allen in 1874 for six dollars an acre, and in 1963 his home was still standing - in good condition. The Champion family, from Tennessee, were also early settlers, coming . Their home was a social gathering place - Sunday night singing being a favorite. A. J. Pippin moved from Oak Grove to Corinth in 1875. He bought six hundred and forty acres of land and built a house. In 1963 this place was owned by Weldon T. Jones. Traditionally, in 1870, the Sam Boren place was used as a stop over for the stage coach traveling from Lancaster to Porter's Bluff. which allowed for a change to a fresh team of horses. At one time, the Will Muirhead family owned the property and lived there. Will Holey is the present owner.
Hawkins, et al. The Ellis County History Workshop. History of Ellis County, Texas. Texian Press, Waco, 1972. "Corinth School Community, TX:" The Handbook of Texas Online.
Copyright © 2002-2016, Ellis County TXGenWeb. All Rights Reserved.
This page was last modified: Monday, 10-Sep-2018 10:23:32 MDT