Samaria Baptist Church, Waxahachie, Texas
Celebrates 109th Anniversary - December 1973
From an article in the Waxahachie Daily Light, December 9, 1973
Samaria Missionary Baptist Church, located at 508 E. Main, in Waxahachie, celebrated its 109th anniversary with a special program on Sunday, Dec. 9, 1973. The Rev. Alexander McKnight Jr., pastor of the Greater People Institutional Missionary Baptist Church of Dallas, was guest speaker. Guest minister for the day was the Rev. R. L. Jones, pastor of the Corsicana Bethlehem Baptist Church and Master of Ceremonies was J. E. Jessie with Mrs. Louella Sims as clerk. The theme was "The Sufficiency of Christ's Church in the Modern Crisis."
After an organ prelude by Mrs. Melba Ray, a devotion was presented by the local church deacons, followed by a selection from the senior choir. Howard Flemmings extended the welcome. The youth choir also participated in the program..
An account of the history of the church was given by Mrs. Mattie Borders followed by a solo by Mrs. Rosa Lee Cash.
Committees who planned the day's activities were:
Program: Mrs. Sims, Chairman, Mrs. Ethel McNeal and Mrs. America Whiteler.
Decorating:: Mrs. Corine Young, Thado Tastum, Mrs. Marie Davis and Mrs. Johnnie M. Powell.
Welcome: Mrs. Bernadean Butler, Mrs. Alyce Flemmings and Mrs. Corine Stone.
Food: Mmes. Elinora Turner, Emma Roberts, Aquilla Davis and Ethel McNeal.
Musicians: Mrs. Ray and Mrs. Butler.
Deacons: Cecil Debase, Chairman, J. E. Jessie, Seth Williams and Delvie Stone Sr.
The Samaria Missionary Baptist church was organized in 1864. Rev. O Biggins, deacons and other members met under a shade tree across the street from the present location and made plans for a church. The land on which the church now stands was purchased and the church built. In 1967, Samaria Church underwent a renovation program.
[This has been identified as an African American congregation.]
Copyright © 2003-2016, Ellis County TXGenWeb. All Rights Reserved.
This page was last modified: Monday, 10-Sep-2018 10:23:07 MDT