John William Meadows
Cemetery List | Home Page | Table of Contents | E-Mail
The TXGenWeb Project
  Dickens County
  USGenWeb Project

Dickens County Biographies

In Remembrance of

John Meadows
John Meadows
rose spray
separator bar



John William Meadows was born in Kenton, O´Bion County, Tennessee, on March 11, 1872. He was the eldest of the four sons of Solomon Columbus and Martha Lucinda (Mallory) Meadows. When he was two years old, the family moved to Friendship, Dyer County, Tennessee, where his father started his own private school. When he reached school age, he was educated in his father´s school. So were the other three boys in the family. When the family moved to Wichita Falls, Texas, in 1889, he attended the Public School and received a teacher´s certificate. Instead of teaching, however, he apparently took a position with a lumber company in Abilene, Texas. He later moved to Rockport, Texas, and to Port Lavaca, where he continued to work as a bookkeeper with a lumber company - probably the same one he worked for in Abilene. He never married, and assumed the responsibility of caring for his parents. When he moved to Spur, Texas in 1900, they moved with him. His father was in poor health by that time, and was no longer able to teach. In addition to his work as bookkeeper for the Musser Lumber Company, he owned a farm at the edge of town and participated in the farming activities. He was active in various organizations.

John William Meadows died in Spur, Texas on July 6, 1953, and was buried in the Spur Cemetery. He was survived by two nieces and five nephews.

Submitted by Pauline Meadows Bourdon

Others Researching This Family

No listing to date

Burial Site

Site Map Location

Headstone Inscription & Sentiments

Additional Information & Documentation



Services were conducted for John William Meadows Wednesday, July 8, at the Presbyterian Church. Robert Reed, summer pastor of the church, officiated.

Meadows was born in O'Brian County, TN, March 11, 1872. He came to Texas in 1890 and moved into the Spur community in 1909. He died on July 6, 1953.

He was converted to the Christian religion early in life and joined the Presbyterian Church. He was also a member of the Knights of Pythias Lodge.

The deceased is survived by two nieces, Mrs. Pauline Boudon and Mrs. Henry Reagon; five nephews, Clayton, William Emmett, Burnett and Robert Meadows.

Interment was in the Spur cemetery with Campbells Funeral Chapel in charge of arrangements. Graveside services were conducted by the KP Lodge.

©The Texas Spur
from the records of Lillian Grace Nay

Home Page | Cemetery List | Table of Contents | Helping with this Project
USGenWeb Project

Dickens County TXGenWeb Project
Webmaster Linda Fox Hughes
© Dickens County Historical Commission 1997-2017

           This site may be freely linked to but not duplicated in any fashion without consent.
           The information on these pages is meant for personal genealogical research only
and is not for commercial use of ANY type.