McAdoo High School
The TXGenWeb Project
 Dickens County
 USGenWeb Project


In Loving Memory of the

McAdoo School

"Our town was so small, that when the
kids grew up they closed the school."

In the year of 1908 the first school, located on the site of what is now McAdoo, was conducted in one room of the Abernathy residence. The teacher of this school was a Mr. Marshall.

The first school lasted about a year and a half, and in 1910 a school was built approximately one mile south of the present McAdoo townsite. This school was named Prairie View. A stage occupied almost one third of the floor space in the one room building, and the school was given the nickname "High State."

Later another school was built about two miles south of Prairie View. This school had no official name, but was called "Crazy Flat".

In 1914, a three room wooden building was erected at McAdoo and students from both Prairie View and Crazy Flat attended this school. The Crazy Flat building was sold to Mr. and Mrs. Sam Fox and became a residence. The little white school house at Prairie View was moved to McAdoo to become a part of the new school system.

The brick building that still stands at McAdoo was erected in 1928. Other buildings that were added at various times include the gymnasium, lunch room, home economics cottage, library, science laboratory, and kindergarten building.

The people of McAdoo always had great pride in their school, and the students excelled both academically and athletically. The boys' basketball teams won in state competition in Austin on three different occasions. They won the Class B State Basketball Championship in the years of 1960, 1963 and 1964. The McAdoo girls advanced to regional play in basketball several times and to state competition in volleyball.

It was a sad occasion for the McAdoo Community in 1985 when, due to declining enrollment and decrease in state funding, the school was forced to close. The last class of graduates received their diplomas on May 26, 1985, and the McAdoo Independent School District was officially abolished on July 1, 1985.

McAdoo School Class Roll, 1929-1985
McAdoo Teaching Staff
Photo Album

USGenWeb Project

Dickens County TXGenWeb Project
Webmaster Linda Fox Hughes

           This site may be freely linked to but not duplicated in any fashion without consent.
           The information on these pages is meant for personal genealogical research only
and is not for commercial use of ANY type.