The V.C. Finney family moved to the McAdoo Community just after Christmas in 1926. They moved to a farm three miles south of McAdoo, and with his wife Minnie Clementine and children became a part of the community. V.C. died February 7, 1943 and his wife in 1953, both are buried in the McAdoo cemetery. Children of the Finneys include:
1. Ben Morris Finney (deceased), married Ilma Cassity, children: Sherman Lloyd Finney, Benney Wayne Finney, Jimmy Rex Finney.
2. Beatrice Finney (deceased), married Howard Commons (deceased). Children are: Walterine, Louise, Frank, Robert, Billy, Howard Jr. and Lawrence Lee Commons.
3. Willie Clara Finney married Dan Cryer (deceased). Children: William Dan (deceased), Benny Dave Cryer (deceased), Floyd Finney Cryer.
4. Ida Floyd Finney graduated from McAdoo High School in 1932, married Ernest Smith in September 1939. Children: Ernest Earl, Clara Anne, Minnie Belle.
5. Annie Rucker Finney married Harvey Cecil Johnson. Children are: Glenda Joye, Harvey Cecil Johnson Jr. She later married Cletus Daus.
Funeral services for Volentine Crawford Finney, age 66 years, were held at McAdoo Wednesday, Feb. 10, at 2:30 p.m. by Rev. Rollo Davidson, pastor of the McAdoo Methodist Church. Mr. Finney passed away Sunday, Feb. 7, at his home in McAdoo of bronchial asthma. He is the son of Mr. And Mrs. Wm. R. Finney.
Mr. Finney had been converted and a member of the Methodist church since the age of 19. He was married to miss Minnie Clementine McCarty in Fort Worth, July 17, 1896. To them were born one son, Ben of Glenwood, New Mexico and four daughters, Mmes. H.C Commons, of Longmont, Colo., Willie Clara Carver, McAdoo; Ida Floyd Smith, Elva, KY; Annie Rucker Johnson, Amarillo.
Pallbearers were Chas. McLaughlin, Bryan Hardin, Homer Singleton, Buddy Allen, Ed Henderson, and Raymond Eldredge.
Other survivors are his widow, and two brothers, J.A. Finney of Plainview and John of Fort Worth; one sister, Mrs. Nannie Moore of Medina, Texas and sixteen grandchildren.
Interment was in the McAdoo Cemetery, with Chandler Funeral Home in charge of arrangements.
©The Texas Spur, February 11, 1943Transcribed September 2004, B.Hodges
Funeral services for Mrs. Minnie Clementine Finney were held Tuesday, January 20, at 2 p.m. in the McAdoo Baptist Church. She died at 4:25 a.m. January 18 in a hospital in Hot Springs, New Mexico.
Mrs. Finney was born in 1874 at Milsap, Texas. She was married to the late V.C. Finney in 1896. She was converted and joined the Baptist Church at the age of 22.
Mrs. Finney moved with her husband to Dickens County in 1926 and lived near McAdoo until 1948 when she moved to Hot Springs were she resided until her death.
Survivors include one son, Ben of Hot Springs; four daughters, Mrs. Beatrice Herbert of Denver, Colorado, Mrs. Willie Cryer of McAdoo, Mrs. Ida Smith of Elva, Kentucky, and Mrs. Ann Daus of Hot Springs; one sister, Mrs. Ida Eubanks of Amarillo; 18 grandchildren and 6 great grandchildren.
Rev. Carl Coffey, pastor of the Baptist Church, assisted by Rev. James Patterson officiated with interment in the McAdoo Cemetery with McDonald Funeral Home of Lubbock in charge of arrangements.
©The Texas Spur, Thursday, January 29, 1953Transcribed by Becky Hodges
This site may be freely linked to but not duplicated in any fashion without consent.
The information on these pages is meant for personal genealogical research only
and is not for commercial use of ANY type.