KELSAY CEMETERY

KELSAY CEMETERY

The Deed for Kelsay Cemetery is located in the Denton County, Texas, Courthouse Records, Item No. 590, Volume 31, February 18, 1861. Sam Houston, Governor of Texas, on November 20, 1886, deeded to William R. Kelsay 160 acres. Mrs. Eliza Kelsay, J.C. and M.E. McCoy of Parker County, C.W. and A.M. Kelsay, R.B. and Laura Kelsay of Wise County, W.L. and Q.E. Burnett of Tarrant County and W.F. and F.A. Kelsay deeded to S.F. Reynolds "a certain tract on the waters of Denton Creek and patented in the name of William R. Kelsay of 160 acres excepting however 1/4 of an acre in a square near the West boundary line of said original survey so as to include a graveyard to be by us securely fenced and kept fenced for all time."

The graveyard was located on June 30, 1976, by descendants of the Kelsay Family while researching their family history.

From Denton, Texas go South on I35W to FR 114; East on FR 114 to just outside of Roanoke, Texas at Litsey Road and FR 114; turn North on Litsey and follow gravel road to dead-end; abandoned farm with barns (1990); cemetery is Northwest of barn on a hill; one cedar tree standing about one mile Northwest from barn. Cemetery is small and not fenced. Several stones laying around, only one with any markings. Names listed below are from descendants of the Kelsay Family gathered while researching their family history.

Kelsay, Curtis Houston; b.; d. 1880
Kelsay, John Robert; b.; d. 1876
Kelsay, Ula Emma; b.; d. 1876
Kelsay, William Royal; b.; d. 1867
Kelsay, Willie R.; b.; d. 1879

Smith, Atlantic, b.; d. after 1860