FIRST METHODIST SOCIETY
(Webb Chapel United Methodist Church)
Founded in Republic of Texas, Isaac Blackman Webb (1802-80), after moving
his family from Missouri to the Peters Colony in 1843-44 winter, appealed
for a visit by a missionary. On March 19, 1844, in log cabin of his
brother-in-law, William M, Cochran, a worship service was held by the Rev.
Thomas J. Brown, the first known Methodist minister to visit the colony. On
May 5, 1845, circuit services were begun by the Rev. Daniel Shook in
Webb's cabin, and a society was formed. The charter members: Nancy
Jane Hughes Cochran (Mrs. William M., said to have been first professing
Methodist in the colony), M. Franklin and Margaret Fortner, and Isaac and
Mary Hughes Webb. An 18' x 18' log cabin was built on Webb's land in
springtime 1846, as the Colony's first church. The Rev. Joab H. Biggs was
first (1847-48) pastor. The hewn-log cabin also served as schoolhouse,
public meeting hall, and post office for community.
Some local Methodists in 1850s met Cedar Springs members halfway, and
built Cochran Chapel (5.3 mi. SE). Webb Chapel Cemetery (1.8 Mi. SE) Marks
site where the others built a frame church in 1877. A second frame
building of 1903 was used until present sanctuary was erected in 1955 to
house this church body with a record of continuous services since 1845.
Webb Chapel United Methodist Church, Valley View Ln,
Farmers Branch, Dallas County, Texas
Dallas Morning News - April 26, 1936
Dallas Morning News - May 4, 1936